Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss - Skin surgery and blood thinners?

View Full Version : Skin surgery and blood thinners?

MauiKai
04-11-2014, 03:50 PM
A friend of mine recently had a tummy tuck and bingo flapper removal ;)

She was really happy but then a day or two later ended up in the ER in a bad way with bilateral pulmonary embolism.

They gave her blood thinners and she recovered sufficiently to go home again. Her family is urging her to sue the doctor because they feel she should have had the blood thinners from the get go. I have no idea. So, those of you who have had some sort of skin surgery, did you get blood thinners? Or is that only if there is a complication? Anyone know? I think her family might just be overzealous, because it seems to me you would not give someone covered in cuts a blood thinner unless you HAD to.

CherryPie99
04-11-2014, 06:21 PM
I was NOT given blood thinners and as a matter of fact, I believe I recall reading that blood thinners are CONTRAINDICATED for this surgery.

I wasn't even allowed Ibuprofen afterwards due to blood thinning - had to take Tylenol.

Sounds like terrible luck. Hope she is okay!

Jen

Underwater
04-12-2014, 12:37 AM
It is not common, but my doctor had my inject myself with blood thinners twice after surgery. The morning after and the 2nd morning after. The prescription is called Lovenox.

If the doctor was upfront about the risk of blood clots, I don't feel it is appropriate to sue. Maybe she didn't follow his instructions to reduce the risk.