Old 04-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #1  

Default Sudden HUGE drop in scale with decreased carb/sugar

So, this past Tuesday I weighted in at 264.8, a loss of 1.9 lbs. from the prior week - this was more or less what I was expecting.

Then this morning I was feeling good and got tempted and stepped on the scale again, and it said 251.3 lbs.

I thought at first the scale had a low battery so I changed it and weighed again but it was the same.

My clothes fit about the same but I am much less bloated and I realized the only difference in the past 1 1/2 weeks or so is that I've cut my carbs and sugar way down.

I did a little research and learned that the glycogen stored in the liver is held there with a lot of water, and if you decrease sugars the water retention goes down - but 13 pounds down? Could that be accurate?

Anyone ever have this strange experience? I will say I often have swollen feet and calves and they weren't swollen. It seems crazy I should be carrying around this much water weight.
Flippy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #2  
Queen of My Universe

S/C/G: 262

Height: 5'6"

I frequently stop and start low or slow carb... after about 3 days, on me it purges the water, and it also stops my cravings.
Mine was about 12 lbs this time....
GreyerJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #3  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I've lost 108 lbs on low carb low sugar!
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:36 PM   #4  

Wow, Annik, you've had some great losses - and all of that in just 23 weeks!

It's interesting how one "knows" logically what the carbs/sugar do to you but you just can't get off the cravings crazy train. And yet, once you do...
Flippy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #5  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I know what you mean. It has been an amazing journey. Cravings virtually annihilated!

Though I'll take credit for putting effort in, this has been the easiest easy to lose weight I have ever tried! Once ketosis sets in, it acts as a natural appetite suppressant. I don't want to go back to my old way of eating at all!
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:58 AM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

The body is a very high percentage of water. I think i read earlier today that even muscle is 50 percent. And blood is 70%. We have 17 litres of blood so that right there is 17 kilograms.

Do not get dehydrated though. Make sure you eat some salt and make sure you drink plenty of water.

Dehydration on a low carb diet seems to be easy to achieve if you are not aware of it. And you don't want to get dehydrated because its very painful when serious.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 193.5/163.5/150

Height: 5'2"

I was wondering how much water weight people put on when they eat sugar etc. ? I had been doing great, eating about 50 grams of carbs per day and the scale got down to 167. On Saturday we celebrated my brothers birthday. I had a small piece of cake and a some ice cream. That evening I was ridiculously thirsty so I was drank more water than my usual. The next morning the scale had jumped up to 171! A total of 4lbs!!
CAPECODWOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote