Carb Counters - My low carb high fat success story with pics

diamondgeog
04-08-2014, 02:06 PM
http://www.examiner.com/article/man-details-90-pound-weight-loss-on-low-carb-high-fat-ketogenic-diet-1

This got published a day ago and I thought it might be of interest. It is always good to have a picture to see hey not just blowing smoke.

There are so many reasons I am a low carb high fat advocate. And the article has links to a lot of good people and resources. There is also a part two link at the bottom with all of what I wrote.

But I will boil it down to two or three simple things: carbs make many people hungry. They spike insulin production which then causes food to be stored as fat. As long as they are present your body will not tend to burn your stored fat as fuel because it has carbs to burn.

So lets see what I just wrote: for many carbs make you hungry. They tend to have food you eat stored as fat. If you eat them you aren't likely to burn your fat.

They are the perfect, PERFECT, way for most not only humans but mammals to become overweight and stay overweight. How do we 'fatten up' livestock? We feed them grains.

Now people will have different amounts of carbs their body can handle and that allows them to get and stay healthy. That is absolutely true. But I truly believe 8 out of 10 people on 3FC would benefit from focusing on carb reduction and then going from there. And upping the good fat.

Will everyone succeed on low carb high fat? No. But not everyone will succeed on any approach. I choose low carb because of the science and the success stories I found. No other approach, to me, seemed to even come close in terms of having the science background this did.

Anyhow good luck to everyone and I hope you enjoyed the story and links.

Shannonsnail
04-09-2014, 01:59 AM
Thanks for sharing!

sarahinparis
04-09-2014, 04:46 AM
Thanks for sharing that! Diamondgeog!

Quite an accomplishment, and you look great, healthy and younger!

diamondgeog
04-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Thanks. I feel great. Who knows how many high quality decades I have added?

It is kind of ironic in that I've heard about 'diet miracles' for years. Well for me low carb really was less hunger and lead to me becoming fat adapted and burning my stored fat. So pretty much a real-life actual 'miracle'.

And overall it wasn't that hard for a few reasons. My appetite dropped like a rock away from carbs. I still had plenty of delicious food. And I was feeling so much better even at 15-20 lbs lost that it was worth it in real terms right from the beginning.

I do have dairy. I've heard people say that can make it easier to stay on low carb and keep up your metabolism. Little milk and yogurt though. Mostly cheeses and cottage cheese, cream, butter. Sour cream. The lower carb dairy.

yoyoma
04-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Congratulations; you look great, and I'm glad you feel great too! :carrot: Thanks for sharing your story!!!

Annik
04-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Bravo!

50PoundsTooHeavy
04-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Good job, I'm heading down a similar path now (45 already lost and 50 more to go) I say it is not to just look great (remember we are basically going to look like deflated whoopee cushions when we have our shirts off!) I say celebrate the extra 15 years you probably added on to your life expectancy!!

time2lose
04-10-2014, 02:29 PM
diamondgeog, you are an inspiration!

IanG
04-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Personally, I think going low carb and eating tons of saturated fat is a road to ruin. Specifically, weight loss but heart problems and clogged arteries later on.

Call it bro science, call it what you want.

But you need to eat good fats. Not bad ones just to save on carbs.

So you guys eat your burgers and bacon and I will eat my oily fish and let's compare notes in a couple of years.

diamondgeog
04-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Ian I bet my grass fed burgers exceed in health just about anything you eat. And you've made so many assumptions and so many bad ones I can't even begin.

My sources of fat: coconut oil, organic virgin. Grass fed butter a true super food. Beef tallow from US Wellness. Avocado. Macadamia nuts. Chicken skin from organic chicken. Wild caught fish.

I am hyper aware of omega 6 to omega 3 ratios.

What ARE you eating? Do you use vegetable oils?

The burger bacon thing is such a pathetic childish straw man of low carb approaches.

You know what you eat most of on them? Non starchy vegetables and not good but GREAT oils. After all wouldn't people INTENTIONALLY seeking out a high fat diet make sure it was the best sources of fat?

Not sure you intended to do the straw man argument but that is what you did.

diamondgeog
04-10-2014, 07:00 PM
And for the love of Gaia man stop sprouting meat causes heart disease nonsense. There was a 2010 article of 348,000 people showing no correlation. Then just out a 650,000 person one. They did make some mistakes on that one but corrected them.

And the longer the Farmington study goes on the more it shows that.

You know how that myth got started? Rabbits. Yes Rabbits. They fed meat to rabbits and they had problems. Guess what? Bad idea to give rabbits meat.

diamondgeog
04-10-2014, 07:12 PM
And one more thing because this is important. Size of LDL particles and number of particles more important than just LDL number.

So what does LCHF do? First triglycerides plummet. HDL goes up. LDL can go up or down. But if it goes up it is the large benign particles.

In fact when America eat more fats of what I am eating now, heart disease was basically non-existent. And if you don't think low carbers are not aware of fish that is crazy.

And as I stated you can bet when we go high fat we learn all about fats, heart disease, omega 3, omega 6. We know the flawed studies. We know the meta studies coming out now show no correlation between saturated fat and heart disease. Did you know Sweden heart attacks are dropping as they eat more butter? Think you know as much as the average low carber making this decision based on science on fats and heart attack? Perhaps you do but based on your post summarizing all the incorrect info, arguably not.

diamondgeog
04-10-2014, 07:22 PM
Ill say this Ian you are going for the cereal company portrayal of low carb. Most low carbers are probably a lot closer to your oils than you think. And you could learn a lot from the scientists backing low carb high fat and the fats they recommend.

Very sad and ironic heart disease has skyrocketed right along with the fear of fat. We know what we are doing to our hearts Ian. And it's all good.

But I am glad you posted because misconceptions of low carb high fat are killing people. LOTS of people.

Are bodies are not plumbing pipes. Fats and cholesterol don't plug them up like pipes. We EVOLVED to eat fats. The fats I eat protect my heart.

Why do you think there are so many heart attacks around the world now? No single reason but a huge one is fear of fat and the wrong fats like vegetable oils. In fact the last 50 years was basically a gigantic experiment on doing everything wrong on fats.

You got me going Ian but its good because I think it will help people.

Does engine oil 'clog' up a car? No good engine article lubricates and removes bad stuff. Pretty similar to what is happening to my arteries on the good fats I eat. My engine, heart, and body works better for me consuming them. I am a car not a kitchen pipe.

yoyoma
04-10-2014, 10:03 PM
DG, I'm sure you'll love this headline. I don't have time to really look into the study; I bring it here "for amusement purposes only."

https://www.ethz.ch/en/news-and-events/eth-news/news/2014/04/glukosamin-erhoeht-lebenserwartung.html

Annik
04-10-2014, 10:16 PM
DG, I'm sure you'll love this headline. I don't have time to really look into the study; I bring it here "for amusement purposes only."

https://www.ethz.ch/en/news-and-events/eth-news/news/2014/04/glukosamin-erhoeht-lebenserwartung.html

Sorry...I don't get the joke.

What's amusing in this Swiss medical news -- good news-- that I am missing?

Mad Donnelly
04-10-2014, 11:37 PM
And one more thing because this is important. Size of LDL particles and number of particles more important than just LDL number.

So what does LCHF do? First triglycerides plummet. HDL goes up. LDL can go up or down. But if it goes up it is the large benign particles.

In fact when America eat more fats of what I am eating now, heart disease was basically non-existent. And if you don't think low carbers are not aware of fish that is crazy.

And as I stated you can bet when we go high fat we learn all about fats, heart disease, omega 3, omega 6. We know the flawed studies. We know the meta studies coming out now show no correlation between saturated fat and heart disease. Did you know Sweden heart attacks are dropping as they eat more butter? Think you know as much as the average low carber making this decision based on science on fats and heart attack? Perhaps you do but based on your post summarizing all the incorrect info, arguably not.

That's you in the article? Love all your posts in this thread!

Yogini99
04-11-2014, 12:00 AM
Annik- it looks like glucosamine mimics low carb diet and extends life in mice.

Annik
04-11-2014, 12:13 AM
Yes, that's clear from the article. Again...That sounds like good news to me...what is amusing about it?

Annik
04-11-2014, 12:15 AM
Personally, I think going low carb and eating tons of saturated fat is a road to ruin. Specifically, weight loss but heart problems and clogged arteries later on.

Call it bro science, call it what you want.

But you need to eat good fats. Not bad ones just to save on carbs.

So you guys eat your burgers and bacon and I will eat my oily fish and let's compare notes in a couple of years.

Sweden has embraced the science of low carb.

IanG
04-11-2014, 02:19 AM
I was not referring to you DG but the article posted and its headline and the reference to saturated fats (which you are clearly not eating).

I don't pretend to know what you eat but simple messages such as cut carbs, eat fat are obviously the wrong ones. It takes a little more than that to maintain healthy weightloss.

Excercise, for a start.

diamondgeog
04-11-2014, 07:56 AM
Oh I am eating a lot of saturated fats: they're great. Coconut oil, grass fed butter, nuts, meats, lard, tallow.

All the info on saturated fats is wrong Ian. But I could not agree with you more about exercise.

Don't fear fats! Need to do research Ian.

http://chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-cholesterol-and-saturated-fat-are-not-the-enemy

And yes that's me in the article.

diamondgeog
04-11-2014, 07:58 AM
And low carb high fat isn't eat what you want: we restrict carbs. But you don't have to calorie count because fat is so filling.

That has been AWESOME. My appetite has plummeted. Just one of many reasons it is great.

diamondgeog
04-11-2014, 08:37 AM
People also need to get a better understanding of LDL. The number we are given doesn't give us size of particles or number of particles.

Low carb high fat diets if they raise LDL at all raise the benign large particles.

Any honest heart surgeon will tell you heart attacks happen to people with high LDL, low LDL, medium LDL. The biggest predictor of heart disease is if you have developed diabetes. All these surges in insulin are ultimately leading to heart attacks.

What does low carb do? Minimizes surges in insulin.

This is really crucial stuff. I urge everyone to Goggle more.

Mad Donnelly
04-11-2014, 08:42 AM
I just had an internet argument -- why, I dunno. It's always futile -- about saturated fats. I firmly believe that the obesity epidemic started with the proliferation of high fructose corn syrup being put into everything along with the "processed food" era which I identify as starting in the early 70s. Which is all at the same time lovely Ancel Keys was wreaking havoc on all of us. Prior to that, everyone already knew how to eat and they were eating saturated fats, butter, etc. None of that trans fat and "healthy" margarine (something that doesn't melt but should is an abomination).

No one will ever convince me I'm wrong, but I need to get my chol numbers again so I have proof. Either way, I will never go on a statin. I think everyone should read and research for themselves and then make up their own mind and low carb just makes too much sense to me and is, indeed, the only way I can continue to eat healthy. No one trusts my opinion alone and that's fine, but I don't trust people that just blindly follow what their ONE doctor tells them either. Doctors know what they know and most have not read what a lot of us have read. The info is out there but it takes more than just reading a few little articles or listening to a 2 minute blurb on the news.

JerseyGyrl
04-11-2014, 10:23 AM
All this talk about saturated fat, cholesterol, good fats, bad fats etc. has put me in mind of a documentary I watched that seems fitting to mention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pfGTBXkq3g

yoyoma
04-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Yes, that's clear from the article. Again...That sounds like good news to me...what is amusing about it?

It is (possibly) good news, but I didn't have time to look into the study to see if the headline was just journalistic sensationalism or what. But, I figured DG would be interested in it. My "for amusement purposes only" caveat was intended to convey that I would not take the article as gospel and the headline as fact. I really debated whether I should bring an article like this to his attention because I didn't want him to overstate the case it makes.

I'm low(ish) carb myself and I am very careful with my grain intake (though not grain-free).

But I think overstating the science (which is what brought us the Lipid Hypothesis; let's not make the same mistake in the low carb camp) or repeating hand-wavey arguments (like grains don't want to be eaten=>they are bad for you) can do more harm than good in making the case. I also think that although it's really clear that lots of people benefit from a low carb approach and lots of people benefit from a grain-free approach, there are plenty of people who eat the traditional balanced diet, including grains, even among the successful maintainers at 3fc.

diamondgeog
04-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Yoyoma,

Some very good points and I want to respond to them.

There is a new documentary out called 'Cereal Killers'. It follows someone wondering why his dad and uncle got heart attacks. They were world-class athletes, rarely drank, and followed the standard diet their entire life. They were not overweight. This lead him to low carb high fat and the damage of grains.

Saying grains don't want to be eaten is a short hand for the more complex arguments. It is NOT WRONG. It IS an oversimplification.

This is also critically important. While wheat is technically not a GMO it has been radically altered in the last 40 years. So that means while I believe people at best marginally tolerated grains before, now there are even more foreign proteins in wheat that our bodies have no idea what to do with.

And while sweet corn is not much of a GMO crop, 90% of the other corn is. Why does this matter? If you get any corn starch, HFCS, etc. you are most likely ingesting a GMO crop.

Professor Noakes in a video I watched last night explained it this way. Like almost anything insulin resistance is on a curve in the population. Some people like him need to be under 25 grams a day or he will gain weight. That is one banana. Maybe someone else can do 150 or even perhaps 200 grams and be fine. But if you are exceeding what is the limit for your body it is almost always going to be virtually impossible to lose weight.

And this is not about maintaining for me, or any weight on the scale. It is about health. Plenty of not-overweight people get heart attacks, diabetes, dementia. I feel personally there is overwhelming evidence that you are vastly more likely to have these or stuff like arthritis, joint pain, etc. if you are consuming grains.

And you can be at your goal weight or even below. Grains are not worth it to me.

So the argument would be that the less insulin resistant person maybe could have 2 to 3 or even 4 pieces of fruit a day. And a potato. BUT if the carbs were coming from grains no matter what their insulin resistance they would still be putting themselves at risk for inflammation which leads to a whole host of bad stuff. I will say also that the inflammation response also varies, but I think the vast majority of humans do respond to grains with inflammation.

As I said above, clearly not worth it to me to do that to my body and health, regardless of my weight.

Annik
04-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Part of the problem is that as a human population, the medical establishment + government (with whatever reliance they give to experts) has treated us as 'one size fits all.'

My mom can do Weight Watchers and nicely keep her weight down. Her cholesterol readings, sugars, etc are all fine.

I have done WW several times and while, I can lose for awhile, it takes such will power and sometimes clawing my way through days of the week to stick to the programme ... until I eventually give up. (whoever says overweight people are overweight because of lack of will or laziness don't know how hard some people work at it.)

My mom has no interest in trying the low carb approach. All her health indicators are fine.

On the other hand -- for myself -- when I say in my signature below that Low Carb is my liberation, I mean it. I have never found a way until now that works so well for my system and is so easy to follow (of course it takes some self discipline but there are no clawing days where I am fighting cravings and hunger. I am satiated by what I eat.)

My mom does suffer with some arthritis but it seems not badly enough for her to venture into low carb land. Her choice about it and I honour that. Her suffering isn't so bad that it's unbearable. She does however tend to lean to older style grains or ones that have not been tampered with, eg, spelt, kamut,

My dad was a soil scientist during his career. Buckwheat is very popular where I live and it is an old grain. He says it's never been monkied with by 'the industry' because it grows so easily and well. Doesn't have the same troubles with bugs, weather, etc, that wheat does.

I live in what's called the 'grain belt' of Canada. Many parts of it are not naturally friendly to growing grains and this is what drove the industry to find grains more friendly to production.

We as a human population now reap the benefits or suffer even more if one is the proverbial canary in the gold mine.

Annik
04-11-2014, 12:01 PM
A question for those who follow low carb high fat: can you literally eat as much fat as you want?

I know someone who loves butter and I've told him about bullet proof coffee. could he have a pound of butter a week in his coffee and not suffer weight gain/health consequences if he is following the other protocols of the programme?

curious?

diamondgeog
04-11-2014, 02:02 PM
The critical thing is that the butter be grass fed butter. Grass fed butter is a true super food. People should research Mary Enig. It is particularly important to women because it has K2 which is protective against breast cancer.

I crunched some numbers with some assumptions. Many LCHF advocates say you should get 70% of your calories from fat. I am not that high but many are or over. Say 2,000 calories a day. So 1,400 calories from fat. Fat has 9 calories per gram. That gives you fat a day of 156 grams. In a week that would be 1092 grams. There are 454 grams in a pound. So you could have 2.4 pounds of fat a week. Now of course his other food is going to contain fat, but perhaps the numbers can give an idea. I think my wife and I have around ╝ pound to perhaps a 1/3 pound of butter each per week. But lots of other fats.

That is a bit sad about your mom, but I understand. People can’t comprehend getting used to until they actually do it. I liken it to going swimming. Some people never get into the pool because it is too cold at first. But those that do go in adjust and then in 2 minutes they are like this is great. It of course takes longer than 2 minutes to go grain free.

It can also be amusing though and tasty, going grain free. Burgers: hands down not even close better going grain free. I love burgers now like never before. The flavors pop without a bun. Salsa. It is pretty amusing when I am at a Mexican restaurant now and I eat the salsa like gazpacho. People are freaked out and I am freaked out by them. I am thinking you’re eating corn AND it was most likely fried in a cheap vegetable oil, oh the omega 6 and grain horrors. My verdict: better. I like spicy foods and it is amazing how much more of the subtle flavors in the salsa you can taste. Guacamole. We get guac without chips now. Verdict: better but close. The guac itself tastes better, but guac does kind of lend itself to a chip texture wise. Tacos: better. We go to a taco place by our house. They offer tacos in a bowl, and they are booming they told me. Verdict: Much better without a tortilla for a couple of reasons. It is easier to see what you are getting so you can control amounts of different elements for tastier bites. And again the tastes pop.

If some bizarre stuff happened and I eat grains again I still would not change the above. And those were probably my biggest ways I eat grains. So healthwise: huge win. Flavor wise: win also. Win-win.

Getting back to the healthy weight but what I feel is serious risk of damage from grains. This is important for people here and loved ones. You CAN get diabetes and not be overweight. In fact the largest source of undiagnosed diabetes is non-overweight people because they think they cannot have. They can and do have it.

http://chriskresser.com/think-skinny-people-dont-get-type-2-diabetes-think-again

Fat is so filling I haven't had to count calories or anything. It kind of self-regulates automatically once you become fat adapted (your body is able to burn your stored fat).

diamondgeog
04-11-2014, 09:53 PM
Jersey,

Great video. I had started it before and now finished it. If you or a loved one eats, must watch. You will never ever take a statin, worry about cholesterol or eating good fats after watching it.

JerseyGyrl
04-11-2014, 10:23 PM
Jersey,

Great video. I had started it before and now finished it. If you or a loved one eats, must watch. You will never ever take a statin, worry about cholesterol or eating good fats after watching it.

Glad you enjoyed it:) It is definitely something everyone needs to watch and heed. Sadly, most people are ignorant about cholesterol and statins are a billion dollar business:(

IanG
04-12-2014, 12:07 AM
I don't fear fats.

Omega 3s are just better fats than saturated fats (and you are really eating the Omega 3s - DG - with your choices, let's face it - else why go grass-fed?).

The other issue is protein. You need to make sure you are getting enough of this to retain/build muscle mass unless you want to look 'gaunt'.

So grass-fed beef ...OK. Grass-fed butter...good luck.

Not that anyone cares, but I try to maximize my protein while obtaining good fats (e.g. omega 3s).

For me, high protein/bad fat (e.g. burgers) is a bad combination as is low protein/good fat (e.g. grass-fed butter).

High protein/good fat (e.g. oily fish and, I concede, grass-fed beef) is just about on the money.

So why eat butter when you can eat salmon instead?

Mad Donnelly
04-12-2014, 12:34 AM
And yes that's me in the article.
Hmmm, I was thinking your name was George.

Part of the problem is that as a human population, the medical establishment + government (with whatever reliance they give to experts) has treated us as 'one size fits all.'
Absolutely. We all just want to be told what to do so we don't have to think so much for ourselves. The problem with that is obvious no matter what we're talking about. But when we're talking about our health and Big Pharma or Big Food is telling us one thing ONLY because it fits THEIR agenda or lines THEIR purses, well, then my blood really begins to boil.

diamondgeog
04-12-2014, 12:52 AM
Because humans evolved eating fats and butter. Grass fed butter is a true superfood. Salmon is good also. You've been given great resources Ian. You're just on outdated info. Not as bad as some. But you're saturated fat knowledge is outdated.

I am a geographer by training hence the geog.

And another great video.

Will their cookbook revolutionise diet? You decid…: http://youtu.be/mazvUejaKaQ

yoyoma
04-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Because humans evolved eating fats and butter. Grass fed butter is a true superfood. http://youtu.be/mazvUejaKaQ

Humans evolved eating butter? I truly do not believe that. This is the type of statement that undermines your position.

I guess if you have some reference, I'm open to being proved wrong, but it would be one of the most surprising facts I've ever run across if so.

Regarding fat, I'm sure people evolved eating all the fat they could get their hands on, but I'm not sure how much fat was available, especially in the hotter climates where humans evolved (so no blubbery sea mammals).

Shannonsnail
04-12-2014, 09:18 AM
I worked for 8 years in the field of lipoprotein particle research and can agree, fats are not what cause heart disease....doesn't really matter which kind.

diamondgeog
04-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Of course they didn't evolve eating butter, dah. Or cheese or cottage cheese. But they are animal products and we did evolve eating all parts of animals. And if you're not lactose intolerant you can make lower carb dairy a part of your diet

One theory is grains killed a lot of our ancestors. Those that could process dairy had a rapid evolutionary advantage. There was no such 'easy' mutation that has made grains healthy. Possibly because we had eat meat the switch to dairy was easier. I do not drink milk btw.

I could see why you would misinterpret but c'mon. I'm not going to claim we eat butter a million years ago. But we did animals. And just because butter is newer does not mean it isn't a superfood.

Absolutely wrong type of fat doesn't matter. It matters greatly. Modern vegetable oils will kill you. Coconut oil for instance will greatly enhance health.

The newness part of grains is a factor but not the key factor for me. If they were healthy I'd eat them. If they had been around 5 years or 500,000 years. So butter is a new human post agricultural revolution product. But the key to me is the grass fed variety is SUPER healthy.

Google Sweden butter heart attacks.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/real-association-butter-heart-disease-sweden

diamondgeog
04-12-2014, 10:01 AM
And another link, I'm having hard time inserting above.

http://blog.sethroberts.net/2014/01/05/butter-and-heart-attacks-in-sweden/

And people have eaten eggs a long time.

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodeggs.html

So we were probably much more 'primed' for modern dairy to adapt to. Whereas grains were off the table so to speak and I believe we still haven't adapted to.

yoyoma
04-12-2014, 10:15 AM
DG, I totally agree that people evolved eating whatever they could find as a food source. They did not eat just the likely-very-lean muscle meat of game; they ate all parts including the fatty brain and the contents of the stomach (which was a source of carbohydrates).

To me as a layperson, human evolution speaks of a species that is almost uniquely adaptable to a wide variety of food sources as well as periods of famine.

I did not claim that eating butter causes heart attacks, but I would say that it's hard to use evolution as an argument for making butter (and other fats) the basis of the human diet.

That said, I would suggest that humans have evolved to be adaptable and they are capable of eating a healthy diet that is primarily based on fat. But I believe they are also capable of eating a healthy diet that is based primarily on other sources (carbohydrates and protein).

And if you are going to make any argument based on evolution, using butter in the same sentence seems a bit hypocritical.

diamondgeog
04-12-2014, 10:24 AM
I agree with a lot of that. And I reread my earlier post and it was poorly phrased.

I think we are finding fat is particularly vital. Did you know 70-90% of cholesterol is produced by the body regardless of diet? We have an almost preset number. I give blood. My last doctor checkup in Sept 2013 my total cholesterol was 150. In March it was 163. Hoping most of that was HDL increase. I've probably increased my saturated fat 5 to 8 times, barely moved my cholesterol.

Good fats are extremely important and vital. I believe evidence is becoming overwhelming. And hey they fill you up and you lose weight. Not a bad combo. A lot of our cell walls are cholesterol. That is why statins mess up so many. Fat and cholesterol are critical for us.

We have NOT evolved to eat sugar. That is VITALLY important for anyone reading this. Before 1850s or so almost no added sugar consumption. In 1820 we had the equivalent of sugar in one 12 ounce coke every 5 days. Total sugar. And then HFCS is GMO. This is why so many suffer. We ARE animals. Any animal fed a truly foreign diet WILL die. That is why we are killing ourselves off with heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and dementia.

Note blood tests don't separate out HDL and LDL so not sure until next physical.

yoyoma
04-12-2014, 11:12 AM
I have no problem with your diet. By the way, I did try out oil pulling on your recommendation (I'm sort of neutral on it) and I tried coconut oil in my decaf dessert coffee last night (I'm probably going to experiment more).

But I often cringe at some of the statements you make.

I don't think that the health impact of HFCS has much to do with the fact that a lot of it today is derived from GM corn. So why throw that in?

"Any animal fed a truly foreign diet WILL die." <- I believe this statement is either wrong or uses such a watered down definition of "truly foreign" as to be meaningless to the conversation at hand. Again, why throw that in?

Mad Donnelly
04-12-2014, 12:56 PM
I am a geographer by training hence the geog.
Thx for the explanation!
I think we are finding fat is particularly vital. Did you know 70-90% of cholesterol is produced by the body regardless of diet?
People seem to not be as moved by this as I am .. and apparently you are. Gobsmacks me. The body NEEDS cholesterol. That is why it produces it. Yet doctors want everyone to go on statins where the danger can be it does such a good job it robs the body of something it needs to function. How on God's green earth does that make sense to ANYONE? I'm hoping my next chol numbers will "improve", but I still am not a slave to my numbers. I am exercising to improve my overall health and get rid of my visceral fat (it's not happening as fast as I would like, tho), but low chol numbers is just a false sense of security.

The body also needs fats. Even the food pyramid gets that right, that it's essential, but everyone wants to ban fat completely. It just makes no sense to me
And hey they fill you up and you lose weight. Not a bad combo. A lot of our cell walls are cholesterol. That is why statins mess up so many. Fat and cholesterol are critical for us
Fatty protein (yum, prime rib) fills me up the best. But even a chicken breast will fill me up pretty good, too. I'm thinking it's more the protein, depending what kind, that does it for me rather than the fat per se.
That is why we are killing ourselves off with heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and dementia
The thought of dementia is what's doing it for me. I was never worried about it but my mother has it and now can't remember that Dad died last July. That is chilling.

diamondgeog
04-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Yeah Mad, dementia is super sad and scary. Way more than enough incentive for me to remain grain free.

YoYoMa fair points. I can't please everyone but fair points. But I do believe the Average amount of sugar consumed qualifies as foreign diet. Perhaps most 3FCers don't do the average. But 'out there' people are dying from their diet clearly.

BTW here is the part 2 of the interview if people missed it.

http://www.examiner.com/article/texas-man-recounts-90-pound-weight-loss-on-low-carb-high-fat-ketogenic-diet

IanG
04-12-2014, 09:47 PM
You're just on outdated info. Not as bad as some. But you're saturated fat knowledge is outdated.

Not at all. I get anti-inflammatory effects from Omega 3s. You don't get that with saturated fats. So my knees work better when I run. My oral health is better (a personal observation). And everything is less sore. Hair, skin and eyes look better too.

BTW, grass-fed beef is way over-hyped when it comes to Omega 3s. There are hardly any in it versus salmon, for example!

diamondgeog
04-12-2014, 10:49 PM
Salmon is a good source no doubt. As long as it is wild caught. Have to be aware of possible hazards in cans if you go that way.

I like to have varied sources. Butter has stuff salmon doesn't, coconut oil other stuff. And I thought you were saying saturated fat choices were bad. Good quality meat was bad.

I always admitted salmon was good. Doesn't mean other sources aren't as well.

And omega 6 and omega 3 ratio is very important. I've never had any leg problems. Did have some back pain. Totally went away with going grain free. If you're concerned about anti inflammation to me grain free is the platinum standard.

AlaskaLadyie
04-13-2014, 01:17 AM
Question diamonggeog I am a very active woman 59 and am wondering about trying this LCHF diet What is the recommendation for setting your % of Fat Carbs and Protein to achieve weight loss... I know from past diets I am carb sensitive as I can gain weight eating fruit . i have been grain additive free since going on the hcg Diet in Oct of 2011.. i lost 73# kept majority of it off for about a year and then the # started creeping back on. I tried a good whole food recommendation and heavy free weight lifting program for Jan and Feb and Gained 10# SO I have been trying IP for the past 2 weeks and am suffering from Horrible Headaches..But have lost the 10#. So am considering this LCHF approach... Just would like some Guide lines as I dont want to gain that 10# back .... Thank you

diamondgeog
04-13-2014, 07:26 AM
It was all so intuitive and experiment based for me. Some people though really can't handle a single piece of fruit.

The most important thing is high fat. Most people don't go high enough and have too much protein. Coconut oil, nuts, grass fed butter, avocado, meats, fish, cheese and other low carb dairy are all good. Many places I go to suggest 70% of calories from fat. Remember 1 gram of fat has 9 calories. Protein and carbs 4 calories. So 70% fat calories is not 70% of your food by weight in fat.

Hydrate, up fat, should start feeling better. I've heard too much protein can make you not feel good also. I'd also get plenty of non-starchy vegetables you like.

AlaskaLadyie
04-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Thank you Diamond .. I am shocked as the scale said 3# less this morning and all i added was 3T Bulletproof MCT oil to my diet yesterday...
I gotta look for grass fed Butter limited on what we have available here in Alaska ... I got not problem eating vegetables I love them .. I am also sorta experimenting with the protein levels to see what works best for me ... I went back to the bullet proof site I had been there before but as I recall I was still eating high Carbs when I tried the bulletproof coffee idea before ... I'll stay in touch with this NEW journey I am entering ... Thank you so much

AlaskaLadyie
04-13-2014, 11:48 PM
I found Organic unsalted butter not for sure it is grass fed butter But i bet it is a better alternative..I also was amazed how satisfied i was at eating more Beef roast and less veg for supper I felt full and was satisfied ...prior to this i have been feeling starved hungry after a meal.. Feeling blessed

AlaskaLadyie
04-14-2014, 05:44 PM
I ate 2oz of Macadamia nuts to my mid morning snack and feel stuffed.... it is so strange cause I used to eat like a whole huge stock of celery at the same time and I would be starving in 10 minutes after the celery... I am like amazing my self :)

AlaskaLadyie
04-14-2014, 06:41 PM
It was all so intuitive and experiment based for me. Some people though really can't handle a single piece of fruit.

The most important thing is high fat. Most people don't go high enough and have too much protein. Coconut oil, nuts, grass fed butter, avocado, meats, fish, cheese and other low carb dairy are all good. Many places I go to suggest 70% of calories from fat. Remember 1 gram of fat has 9 calories. Protein and carbs 4 calories. So 70% fat calories is not 70% of your food by weight in fat.

Hydrate, up fat, should start feeling better. I've heard too much protein can make you not feel good also. I'd also get plenty of non-starchy vegetables you like.

Question Diamond ... Why low fat dairy... I really like the High Fat Fage yogurt... I use Almond milk for any milk needed not much used just wondered Why the low fat dairy ????

diamondgeog
04-14-2014, 07:44 PM
Opps posting because big mistake. Low carb dairy HIGH fat. Sorry.

AlaskaLadyie
04-15-2014, 12:37 AM
Opps posting because big mistake. Low carb dairy HIGH fat. Sorry.

Thank you

IdealProteinNewbie
04-16-2014, 09:28 PM
You look amazing! Congratulations!

Sheena82
04-17-2014, 03:34 AM
A question for those who follow low carb high fat: can you literally eat as much fat as you want?

I know someone who loves butter and I've told him about bullet proof coffee. could he have a pound of butter a week in his coffee and not suffer weight gain/health consequences if he is following the other protocols of the programme?

curious?

I count calories, I think on high cal a lot of people on LCHF stall, they may not gain but they don't lose, he would have to be keeping his carbs quite low to do that, I think some have gained. The calories thing causes a bit of controversy in the keto world!! Personally I think they do count when trying to lose but many would disagree with me! Women especially don't seem to be able to eat as freely as men.

AlaskaLadyie
04-17-2014, 04:12 PM
I have to watch my calories when doing High Fat Low carb along with keeping my carbs low or I will gain... Granted I am an older Woman who has dieted a lot so As Diamond has stated it depends on how fast u want to loose, how much u got to loose, and what age you are, and if u have dieted a lot ....all those and more are factors... Each person has to figure out their individual threshold and go below that if loosing #'s is your victory

Nagazim
04-30-2014, 06:48 PM
Way to go! You look great!

time2lose
05-01-2014, 10:34 AM
AlaskaLadyie originally posted I have to watch my calories when doing High Fat Low carb along with keeping my carbs low or I will gain... Granted I am an older Woman who has dieted a lot so As Diamond has stated it depends on how fast u want to loose, how much u got to loose, and what age you are, and if u have dieted a lot ....all those and more are factors... Each person has to figure out their individual threshold and go below that if loosing #'s is your victory

Ditto for me, I have to also count the calories. We are close to the same age but I am not highly active because I sit at a desk 5 days a week. On weekends, I try to keep moving. The formula for me to keep losing seems to be about 1200 calories of food and lower than 50 grams net carbs. This produces a slow loss but, at this point, I am happy with slow. But to note that I don't count my coconut oil in the calorie count so the actual total number of calories are higher.

For years I struggled trying to lose on 1200 calories a day. I had great difficulty sticking with 1200 and really would be doing good to just maintain. For much of the past year I lost rapidly (to me) on a low carb diet of about 900 to 1000 calories a day. Now I have reached the point that I just want to be sure that I have a diet that I can live with long term. After being morbidly obese most of my adult life, I would be content to stay at my current weight. I am pretty comfortable eating about 1200 calories of food so we will see where I level out.

I intend for LCHF to be my diet with diet meaning "the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats" -not "a special course of food to which one restricts oneself, either to lose weight or for medical reasons."

diamondgeog
05-03-2014, 07:51 AM
Cheryl,

3FC helped me out with the 'diet' phrase problem. I started seeing WOE in posts. I was what is that?

Turns out it stands for Way of Eating. Diet has been so muddled in America, I personally just prefer to use and think of it as WOE now.

And thanks for the look great comments. Sometimes I hardly believe it. But not done yet. Very close to 190 now. Then I will revise down. I think my body will get at least to low 170s. My height is a little over 5'9" BTW. I never intended to hide that, I just never figured out how to add it to my sig.

Anne78
05-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Hi! You look amazing.

I have been trying to figure out which food plan to go on... right now I'm on Weight Watchers and having a hard time staying committed.

I tried doing a protein-sparing modified fast diet for a couple of months... it was monitored by a doctor. Approximately 800 calories a day and less then 20 carbs. I had to take prescription vitamins and drink bouillon cubes just so I could stay awake. It SUCKED the life out of me.

The healthiest I've been was the 3 years I cut out sugar and wheat completely. I was still eating potatoes, rice, fruit, corn tortillas, etc. I lost weight very slowly, but at least I was able to stick to it.

How many carbs do you eat a day? Do you use any apps to help you count?

Thanks!

Satine
05-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Loved the article Larry ...I have been following this WOE for two months now and have lost 22 pounds...I'm not quite sure I have my fat ratio down to what it needs to be as I still find I have the low fat mind set from everything I've been taught in the past and I'm sure that is slowing me down at times.

I recently had all my blood work done and my total cholesterol is 123 after eating this way for two months...my triglycerides are down as well ...the most important thing though is that my A1C ( I'm a type 2 diabetic ) is down to 5.3 ...so far I'm a success story ...

I am still learning though and do have questions ...for instance I normally use olive oil when I'm cooking some meat or sauteeing something in a pan ...are you saying it's better for me to use the grass fed butter or coconut oil ( which I bought but haven't used yet ) ?

Carri

diamondgeog
05-08-2014, 07:13 AM
I'm not sure how many carbs I eat. I never once counted. One of the most incredible things of low carb high fat is your appetite plummets. It might take some time and that varies from person to person. But it WILL plummet. Every single person that has stuck through a transition time has reported this. As long as they are high fat not high protein. Cold turkey from bread, pasta, potatoes, junk food, fast food can and does work. Just remember you are likely to feel awful for a few days.

That means it is working. How cool is this? On carbs our bodies need carbs. But when you stop your cells will convert to their natural energy source, fat. But it takes a few days. So worth it though.

Olive oil is great for salads but not cooking. It breaks down. Coconut oil is wonderful for cooking. Butter we sautÚ veggies and eggs in. I also cook with lard and tallow from US Wellness. Around $13 for a tub that is 2lbs or so. Each tub lasts a long time.

BTW fat is not mostly eating fat itself directly. It is fat from nuts, meat, fish, avocado, eggs, etc. Although I do personally eat coconut oil and butter directly in coffee.

If you were ever hungry all the time like me this is the best thing in the world. I can't describe how unhungry and full I am all the time. Also your mental energy and mood go through the roof. It is around a year now for me and each month gets better and better. Just know we evolved eating fats (not vegetable oils though!) and when we eat them our bodies just thrive.

Also fats get burned. Ironically it is sugar and carbs our bodies turn into fat deposits that hurt arteries. Not direct consumption of fat. And cholesterol is mostly produced by liver round the clock and your diet barely budges it. Except high fat diets are good at upping the HDL.

diamondgeog
05-08-2014, 07:33 AM
BTW I get it on the mental stuff with fat. I didn't try my first coconut oil until January. I read and read about it. When I took my first tablespoon I paused. Because we are taught saturated fat will kill us. But do your research. It was all a big fat lie based on awful science, 7 country study, and politics and money.

Then I applied common sense. When people eat lard, tallow, grass fed butter coconut oil they were not getting obese, heart disease, or cancer for the most part. When they STOPPED those soared. Island populations eating vast amounts of coconut oil have virtually no heart disease.

It needs to be virgin and organic though.

It does rev up metabolism and cuts appetite. I have between 1 and 4 tablespoons daily. One tablespoon has 13 grams saturated fat or 67% RDA. But the RDA is a joke to me. Way too high on carbs. And fat is so filling it self regulates.

Anyhow my cholesterol has barely budged since I upped my fat probably by 5 times. And I bet most of my slight increase, 150 total to 163 is upping HDL. Not sure because the 163 result is from giving blood and they just give one total number.

I posted links to this in another thread, but worth posting again. Fat phobia is dying. http://freetheanimal.com/2014/05/founder-saturated-admits.html

BTW I did NOT set out to be low carb high fat. I set out to be healthy. I had a completely open mind and the research led me to LCHF.

I could write a book about why (and I am going to try). Use twitter. Follow @proftimnoakes he is a great follow.

Satine
05-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Thanks so much for the information ...like I said, I'm new to this ( my husband is following too ) and am learning daily ...I did let my husband make our beef short ribs yesterday with the organic coconut oil instead of the regular oil we were using, so I am learning haha ...I also checked out the butter I had and it was junk ...so I'm gonna go look for some grass fed.

We are doing the low carb thing but we are also trying to be smart about what we are putting in our bodies...we eat mostly organic veggies and meats from Whole Foods...I used to not even eat vegetables and since starting low carb I like them actually ...weird.

I will say, and you are exactly right, that my appetite after doing this for a few months now has plummeted ...I'm fuller longer and don't have the "I'm dieting, so I'm starving mood swings" ...and like I said above I'm diabetic so really low carb is the way my body works best anyhow.

Now I have to brush up on the difference between the Omega 3 and 6's ...I'm a little confused by all that, so need to do my research.

Have a good one.

Carri