100 lb. Club - My Weight Loss Journey with Optifast - 100+ lb goal.

nibog
04-06-2014, 08:55 AM
I am going to track my weight loss journey using OPTIFAST here.

I started Friday, April 4th. My starting weight is 265lbs, 5'3.5. Way more weight than what works on my frame. My goal is to get under 160lbs.

I will be going to Wednesday afternoon groups for weigh in. So while the first weigh in will only be for 5.5 days, I am still hopefully of a decent weight loss.

I am doing Full Fast, which for me means 5 shakes a day, no food. 800 calories total. At least 64 oz of additional fluid but no more than 128 oz, half at least has to be just water. The other half can be made up of water, any diet (zero calorie) and caffeine free drink, and up to two 8oz diet (zero calorie) caffeinated drinks such as tea, coffee, soda. No energy drinks. No alcohol. I also have an allowance of up to 50 calories a day for extras such as sugar free gum/mints etc.

I want to track my weight loss and hopefully *see* the improvements.

I am really hopeful - Day 3 and so far I feel great. If I get the urge to *chew* I found that chewing a piece of sugar free gum for a few minutes gets me through my craving.

So so excited to get to Wednesday to have my first weigh in. I am avoiding the scale at home for now otherwise I am going to want to weigh myself daily!

I am going to track my progress, any rough patches etc so hopefully it will help someone else wanting to do Optifast.

Here are my before pictures - I forgot to take pictures right as I was starting the program but here are a few of me while at my current weight (give or take a few pounds obviously). As you can see...I have been "settled" at this weight for a while :(

My wedding - May 2011
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jmgobin521/Weightloss/before1.jpg

My friends wedding in June 2012 (I was Matron of honor) (cropped out my friend)
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jmgobin521/Weightloss/before3.jpghttp://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jmgobin521/Weightloss/before2.jpg

Me on St Patrick's day this year at work (cropped out my coworkers)
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jmgobin521/Weightloss/before4.jpg

Olivia7906
04-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Hi nibog! Just wanted to wish you luck with your plan and I'll be watching your progress! :)

nibog
04-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Thank you Olivia!

Mozzy
04-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Good luck!

nibog
04-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Sorry I haven't updated in a few days - has been quite busy around here!

My first weight in was Wednesday April 9th, I was down 6.2 lbs!!!!

They did tell me that the second week would probably be a small loss compared to all my other weigh ins, but to expect normal losses from week 3 and on.

So so so happy with my first weigh in!

Yesterday I was able to get a pair of jeans on that have never fit before! Before I wasn't able to get them past my thighs, yesterday they were on and fastened! Tight, yes, but ON!

I have adjusted to the shake life now, am not having to struggle like the first few days. I LOVE the vanilla powdered shake inside an 8oz black coffee with a dash of cinnamon - it is by far my favorite now. Also very good to use the chocolate powder and make a mocha coffee!

I also like using a can of diet, caffeine free orange soda and the vanilla powder - Creamsicle! Yum!

Next weigh in is this Wed the 16th....bring it on.

nibog
04-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Oh and yesterday my husband and I went out to lunch with the In-laws (my first real restaurant setting since starting the program).

They ordered lunch, I had a diet coke with lemon. I didn't even take a nibble! It was in between my shake schedule so I didn't have one with me (they were however in a cooler lunchbox in the car so that I am never far from one - I always make sure I have some with me so that there is never an excuse to cheat).

I have been asked about the cost of the program - well, looking at the program, it does seem expensive. When I added up the amount I spend at Dunkin Donuts in the mornings, going out/ordering in for lunch, dining out at restaurants some nights or ordering Pizza with the hubby....wine/alcohol etc...and the fact that none of that would be happening on the Optifast program, it is really not a lot out of pocket in comparison.

In my area it is a $295 program fee (one time fee) and $100 for the psych evaluation (another one time fee) (neither covered by insurance). There is also a monthly $125 fee for the program (most are 4/5 month programs (20-22 weeks usually) and then you can continue on afterwards with out the monthly fee - in my area at least!)

Two main programs - 1) Full fast - all shakes, no food. Eventually (after 12+ weeks usually) you are weaned onto the Modified program 2) Modified - three shakes, one small serving of fruit, 1 "lean and green" meal which is 5-6oz of lean protein and three servings of a non-starchy vegetable. Eventually you are weaned onto more and more food.

Both programs have weekly meetings that you have to attend (also where you buy your shakes/bars/soups). You have access to an exercise coach, nutritionist etc.

I am doing full fast, which for my weight means 5 shakes a day - an 800 calorie diet total. Eventually I can have an Optifast Soup a day but I am not there yet. I can't have the bars until I am weaned onto Modified.

The shakes are $3.75 each premade/drink box ones, around $3 for the powdered that you shake with fluid. I have to meet weekly with the doctor (a full fast requirement, it is every two weeks for modified). My weekly co-pay is $30, the actual doctors visit is covered by my insurance.
The bars are $4 each.
The soups are $3.75 each.

If I average the costs of the shakes, weekly co-pay and monthly fee, I am spending about $770 a month on full fast. ($3.75 per shake X 5 a day X 7 days a week X 4 weeks = $525 / $30 weekly co-pay X 4 weeks = $120 / $125 monthly program fee)
Edit: for the modified fast, I am spending an average of $500 a month but also buying my own food (meat, veggies, fruit) ($3.75 per shake X 3 a day X 7 days a week X 4 weeks = $315 / $30 co-pay every other week x 2 weeks = $60 / $125 weekly program fee)
On Full fast, you can have one soup a day in place of a shake, so it would vary by a few dollars.
On Modified, you can swap a bar for a shake and a soup for a shake - so you could have 3 shakes a day / 2 shakes, 1 bar / 2 shakes, 1 soup / 1 shake, 1 bar, 1 soup - so depending on what works for you, the cost will vary by a few dollars.
End Edit

Before the program I was spending $35 a week at Dunkin Donuts ALONE. Lunch usually averaged about $10-12 a week....never mind dinner/drinks/snacks/sharing a bottle of wine at dinner or ordering a $10 martini....

When you compare what you ARE NOT paying for, paying for the program really doesn't seem as extreme.

I hope this was helpful!!!

TheSatinPumpkin
04-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Good luck in your journey.

akelly728
04-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Good luck! Will be interesting to check in and see how you're doing! You will have lots of support here :)

nibog
04-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Last night was my second weigh in....down another 3.8lbs....total of 10.00 lbs!!!

I am sooooo ecstatic!

Olivia7906
04-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Awesome nibog! It's working!! Great loss! :D

nibog
04-24-2014, 06:33 AM
Third weigh in last night. Down another 3.3 lbs!

I am now allowed to start the soups....I can have one every other day for the first week so I picked up two chicken and one tomato. Next week I can have a soup once a day in place of a shake if I want.

Had the chicken last night and man oh man did it taste good! Might have tasted exceptionally good because it was the first non chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry thing I have had in 19 days!

nibog
04-24-2014, 06:36 AM
I am praying that by next week I will have forever said good bye to the 250's!!!!!

nibog
04-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Down a total of 16.00lb in 26 days!!! Officially out of the 250s forever! I have not weighed in under 250 in over 3 years!

Mrs Snark
04-30-2014, 04:35 PM
That's very exciting, congratulations to you!!!! :carrot:

TheSatinPumpkin
04-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Rockstar!!!!! Big kudos in your progress so far...

StarlightMintz
04-30-2014, 06:35 PM
Found you here too, nibog :D

I LOVE the vanilla powdered shake inside an 8oz black coffee with a dash of cinnamon - it is by far my favorite now. Also very good to use the chocolate powder and make a mocha coffee!

I also like using a can of diet, caffeine free orange soda and the vanilla powder - Creamsicle! Yum! -I copied this to a note to self ;)

Gratz again! :)

nibog
05-01-2014, 07:07 AM
Thank you !!!! I am feeling amazing. I am starting to think I can really do this. Getting over that last hump was huge for me

nibog
05-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Drumroll.......

19.6 pounds lost total.... I am 0.4lbs away from 20lbs lost!

Streudel
05-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Awesome job, nibog!!! :carrot:

nibog
05-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Thank you!!!!

StarlightMintz
05-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Fantastic progress! :cp:
*turns a lovely shade of green* :p

nibog
05-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Down to 22.8lbs now! :carrot:

Hoping to leave the 240s this week!!! Come on 230s!!!! If I make it to 240 and under I will have dropped 25+ lbs!

nibog
05-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Can't wait for tomorrow....will be my 7th weigh in, hoping to hit that 25lb mark!!

I think at week 12 I am going to go to the Modified Plan. I have 10 days off from work in July and would love to be able to do some grilling!!

I would love to have lost between 35-45 by then....fingers crossed (toes too, not going to lie!) :D

StarlightMintz
05-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Can't wait for tomorrow....will be my 7th weigh in, hoping to hit that 25lb mark!!

I think at week 12 I am going to go to the Modified Plan. I have 10 days off from work in July and would love to be able to do some grilling!!

I would love to have lost between 35-45 by then....fingers crossed (toes too, not going to lie!) :D
You've done very well so far and I bet that 25lb mark is just around the corner for you!
Keep going and never look back unless it's to wave goodbye to those pounds you've left behind. :D

nibog
05-21-2014, 06:06 PM
Lost 3.6lbs..... Total of 26.4lbs lost....I weigh 238.6lbs now!!!! :carrot:

Olivia7906
05-21-2014, 07:25 PM
You are doing wonderful!! Congrats to your weight loss so far!! ;)

Streudel
05-21-2014, 08:23 PM
Wow! You must feel fantastic! Congrats! :carrot::carrot:

StarlightMintz
05-22-2014, 10:46 AM
I am so impressed!
Way to go, Nibog!:cp:

I think you have this thing figured out. ;)

Trazey34
05-23-2014, 01:04 PM
I'm such a Debbie Downer but I'm fascinated to know what happens AFTER you stop drinking this stuff?? Do they provide counselling etc for handling food again?

nibog
05-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Not a Debbie Downer at all, it is an entirely valid question!

If you stick with the program, and don't just abandon it, you are weaned back onto food gradually. In my area, the program lasts for 22 weeks minimum...if you wish to keep going you can. Then, for a full year after the completion of your program, you still have full access to their staff and services - Doctor, nutritionist, exercise/fitness coach.
In the program you attend weekly meetings, they have multiple meetings through out the week at various times so you can always find a group to fit your schedule.
They have multiple weekly meetings for those in "Masters" (have completed their program) that you can come to for coaching, encouragement, support, and help.

So there is a ton of support and follow up care available...you just have to use it!

Once I am 90% + through my weight loss journey (past 100 lbs hopefully) I am going to switch to Weight Watchers to help me keep on track once I am fully on food again. This way I stay in a weekly program and am held accountable for my success.

StarlightMintz
05-24-2014, 03:45 PM
Yep, it's a bit of a drastic measure but it's a highly successful program. With some age on me and some health issues I'm really appreciative of the level of medical evaluation and supervision with the Optifast Medical Weight Management Program.

nibog: Wednesday I finally find out when I get to start. :)

nibog
05-28-2014, 07:29 AM
Excited for tonight... Weigh in AND my first measurements taken since they were taken at the start of my program.

I am noticing changes in my body and I love it - My thighs and stomach FEEL smaller so I am more confident when putting on clothes - - clothes which are now feeling too big and billowy!!! My face is noticeably slimmer...I am getting definition in my cheekbones. My butt is smaller - I have the "saggy butt" look in all my pants which used to be skin tight! (I hate saggy butt but I LOVE why I have it!)

Also, I have been walking...and walking...and walking. I never was a "let's go for a walk" type of person because it felt physically uncomfortable, I hate getting sweaty, it would irritate my asthma...

It started with a small 1/2 mile walk...which grew to a mile...which now has grown to three walks a day, totaling about 4-5 miles!

My work has a 1/4 mile walking path built in a circle around the building and I started going walking with girls during our 30 minute lunch break. We get in 5-6 loops.
Then I started going for works in the evening with my husband around our neighborhood. On the weekends we are now hunting out new walking paths in our area.
This week I have started getting to work 30-45 minutes early and walking the path before work also. I get about 6-8 loops.

My husband was not a walker either....he is loving it! I love that it gives us something new to do, besides sitting on the couch watching TV. He has started losing weight also and it has definitely brought us even closer as we are both feeling good about ourselves.

This diet has brought so much more to my life than just smaller numbers on the scale. I love it.

I FEEL so good...my body is moving more comfortably, I haven't used my inhaler in 3 weeks and I like feeling a little sweaty now (who would ever have guessed?!?!)

nibog
05-28-2014, 07:30 AM
nibog: Wednesday I finally find out when I get to start. :)

WOO HOO! I am so excited for you!! The first week SUCKS - I promise you, stick it out and it gets so much easier!!!

nibog
05-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Down 3lbs even - total of 29.4lbs!!!

Inches I have lost - -
0.75" in upper arm/bicep
0.25" in forearm
4.00" in waist
3.00" in abdomen
3.50" in hips
2.00" thighs
1.00" calves

WOO HOO! Doing my happy dance.

nibog
06-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Weighed in today... Was nervous because I had a very busy week and wasn't able to walk nearly as much as I wanted.... But am down another 3.6lbs for a total of 33.0!

I wish I knew how to do a cartwheel.....

nibog
06-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Forgot to post a very excited moment this weekend - -

While running errands with the hubby, I decided to face my fear and try on smaller jeans...

I started this program in size 20 jeans...and I am now in size 16 - COMFORTABLY!!! Not like a stuffed sausage :D

I quite literally squealed in the dressing room....my husband, "Is that good or bad?!"
I nearly shouted back "GOOD!"

The dressing room attendant laughed at me, I caved and decided to buy the jeans even though I know I will grow out of them....she was so happy for me she gave me 10% off!

Olivia7906
06-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Awwwww!!!! I'm over here smiling hard at your pants story!!! That is SO awesome!!!! I'm so happy for you! Keep up the GREAT work!! You are going to be at your goal before you know it! ;)

jpdcomm880
06-06-2014, 03:56 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! It's so great to read your journey...every non-gain is a win in my books. I went with Medi Weight Loss clinics a year ago and am currently down 107 lbs. I started out in size 22-24...which I've been most of my adult life. And every size that I "grew" out of, I was like, that's crazy, I haven't been that size since...1992! And now, I'm in sizes I've never seen as an adult 8-10 in pants and medium tops (sometimes, gasp, SMALL even!)

The biggest hurdle for me has been that I needed to face my food issues, why I was 262 lbs at 42 years old (I'm only 5'2.) Why was I driven to over indulge and make really poor food choices? When I discovered my why, the rest kind of feel into place. I'm not saying I didn't work my *** off, I did. It just didn't seem to be as much as leaping buildings in a single bound any more.

I wish you luck on your journey and remember you aren't alone. Be mindful and smile through it!
;)

Wannabechef
06-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Hi all! I have enjoyed reading all of the posts here - they are inspirational! I started the Optifast program 3 weeks ago and happy to say, I am down 18 pounds so far!! Some days are still tough, but I know I have to keep going - for me, for my two young boys, and for my husband.

nibog and others, congratulations on your successes! It is a long journey but we'll get there!

I too plan on keeping track of my journey here - this seems like a great place for support and motivation!!

nibog
06-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Congrats!!! 18lbs is AMAZING!!!

I was scolded by my program leader - I was walking up to 5 miles a day (split up into 3 walks) and they said that was more exercise than the program allowed. I have to cap my daily walking at 2 miles now, with no more than 60 minutes of exercise. Poo. I was feeling REALLY good about my self....went from being a non-walker to being able to do 5 miles in a day was a huge achievement for me!

They said once I am transitioning back to food I can walk more but for now I need to cool it lol

Wannabechef
06-10-2014, 07:14 PM
5 miles a day is quite an accomplishment! You should feel PROUD! But I can understand them not wanting you to overdo it do while your calorie intake is so small.

Keep up the great work! :-)

nibog
06-12-2014, 06:27 AM
Officially down 35lbs!

Small loss this week of 2.0lbs but it is the time of the month so they said it was a very good weight loss for an established period week.
"Established" meaning I am settled into the diet and I am no longer in the rhythm of large losses due to extra water weight so they are very happy with two pounds.

Also exciting, yet maybe tmi....my cycle is nearly regular now!!! Before this program I could go months with out a cycle, often having to use medication to induce a period after so long. This is now my second "natural" cycle (non medically induced!) so I am very happy! Well....as happy as a girl on her period can be!

Wannabechef
06-12-2014, 07:00 AM
Congratulations on 35 pounds lost!!! That is FANTASTIC!!!

StarlightMintz
06-14-2014, 07:33 PM
nibog,

You are doing so well and I am so happy for you! :bravo:

Your posts give me hope and inspiration and also a few chuckles (the size 16 jean squeal). :D

Keep on truckin' girlie!

I get to start in 4 more weeks ... ... ... :p

nibog
06-15-2014, 07:06 AM
Yay! Excited for you =)

Start stocking up now on water bottles and sugar free flavored syrups and sugar free gum - the syrups have been a life saver the past couple weeks and definitely played a significant role in me not cheating/caving

Torani syrups, seems like a lot but give in and get an extra bottle or two to get the free shipping - these have definitely changed up my "vanilla, chocolate, vanilla, vanilla, chocolate" routine!

Flavors I have bought are Peanut Butter, Salted Caramel, S'mores, Raspberry, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Brown Sugar Cinnamon, White Chocolate, and Vanilla (hubby wanted it for his sodas)

Streudel
06-15-2014, 09:11 AM
I've so enjoyed watching your progress, nibog. We started at almost the same time. Isn't it amazing what a difference you can make in a little over 2 months! :D

Wannabechef
06-15-2014, 10:22 AM
Ended week four and starting week five...down 21 pounds! I am so excited!

nibog
06-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Woo-hoo! So excited for you guys!!! I love hearing other people's success =)

StarlightMintz
06-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Yay! Excited for you =)

Start stocking up now on water bottles and sugar free flavored syrups and sugar free gum - the syrups have been a life saver the past couple weeks and definitely played a significant role in me not cheating/caving

Torani syrups, seems like a lot but give in and get an extra bottle or two to get the free shipping - these have definitely changed up my "vanilla, chocolate, vanilla, vanilla, chocolate" routine!

Flavors I have bought are Peanut Butter, Salted Caramel, S'mores, Raspberry, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Brown Sugar Cinnamon, White Chocolate, and Vanilla (hubby wanted it for his sodas)
A happy thing happened.... someone cancelled their appointment and I'm going to get to start much sooner... July 2!!! I really appreciate your suggestions and I now have my favorite Torani flavors ordered. I want to try an expresso with salted caramel in the vanilla shake. :)

nibog
06-17-2014, 06:41 AM
I did my coffee yesterday morning with the vanilla shake (an every morning ritual) and the salted caramel yesterday...Oh, Yum!

I did the chocolate chip cookie dough today (my favorite combo so far). White chocolate is delicious too...

Salted caramel is also REALLY good mixed into the chocolate powdered shake.

nibog
06-18-2014, 06:35 PM
Officially in the 220s!!!!! :carrot:

Dropped 2.8lbs - total of 37.8 lost

StarlightMintz
06-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Officially in the 220s!!!!! :carrot:

Dropped 2.8lbs - total of 37.8 lost
Goodness gracious, you've dropped nearly 40 pounds already! That's really fantastic! What do you think of the full fast at this point? Are you finding it easier to do as time passes?

nibog
06-19-2014, 06:49 AM
I find it really easy. The worst cravings were in the first week or two. I am proud that I have never cheated - I feel that cheating would make it harder to stick to the strict requirements of the diet.

Next week I am switching to the Modified Diet (3 shakes + 1 lean&green meal ) while I have 2 weeks vacation from work. Then I will be going back on the Full Fast to maximize potential weight loss.

nibog
06-19-2014, 07:21 AM
Here is the 10 week picture update

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jmgobin521/Weightloss/Jun19.jpg

StarlightMintz
06-19-2014, 08:12 AM
I find it really easy. The worst cravings were in the first week or two. I am proud that I have never cheated - I feel that cheating would make it harder to stick to the strict requirements of the diet.

Next week I am switching to the Modified Diet (3 shakes + 1 lean&green meal ) while I have 2 weeks vacation from work. Then I will be going back on the Full Fast to maximize potential weight loss.
I intend to not cheat as well. I'm sure you know this but for those who might not, the full fast is meant to keep your body in state of ketosis which should help suppress appetite and also burn fat more effectively. So there are huge benefits to not cheating.

Fantastic that you have 2 weeks off, nibog! I hope you get a chance to do some really fun things to celebrate your near 40 pound loss! Oh by the way, that dress is really adorable and shows off your emerging hourglass figure! ;)

nibog
06-19-2014, 08:37 AM
It is really shocking how many people I hear cheating at my group meetings - - it feels like a complete waste of money to me! If they were off doing their own type of diet, fine...but considering we are paying a lot of money for the program and products, have worked our way into Ketosis to burn our fat stores, AND the program warns that indulging in fattening foods/any alcohol puts our gall bladders and livers at risk because we are over working them anyways....WHY? is all I have to ask - - the "benefits" (freedom I guess?) do NOT out weight the risks (money loss, lower weight loss or possible GAIN, and serious health risks).

Follow the program and it works. Simple as that.

susiemartin
06-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Love the picture and I'm so happy for you :) Your progress is astounding!

StarlightMintz
06-20-2014, 08:56 AM
It is really shocking how many people I hear cheating at my group meetings - - it feels like a complete waste of money to me! If they were off doing their own type of diet, fine...but considering we are paying a lot of money for the program and products, have worked our way into Ketosis to burn our fat stores, AND the program warns that indulging in fattening foods/any alcohol puts our gall bladders and livers at risk because we are over working them anyways....WHY? is all I have to ask - - the "benefits" (freedom I guess?) do NOT out weight the risks (money loss, lower weight loss or possible GAIN, and serious health risks).

Follow the program and it works. Simple as that.
You're so right nibog, the program is meant to be taken seriously! It's medically supervised for good reason. You obviously have an "in it to win it" attitude and that's why you're going to be sucessful long term. ;)

For me, the program is a final stand against an unhealthy weight and I don't intend to blow it. I will be one of those who will, barring any health complications, become a lifetime program member.

I'm doing what I can to get ready and I can't wait to start! :dancer:

nibog
06-21-2014, 10:03 PM
While I am keeping track of this journey - here is one side effect I really do not like.

Icky tongue. I have to BRUSH the heck out of my tongue multiple times a day. These shakes leave films on the cups/glasses etc and quickly become stinky and a pain in the rear to clean if they have been sitting for a bit. Same applies to the inside of the mouth.

I noticed it first by my teeth feeling....filmy. And residue around the gums and back of my teeth. Then I caught a glimpse of my tongue in the mirror as I was checking out my teeth - EW!

Darn thing was terrifying....I spent several minutes scrubbing the bejesus out of my tongue with my tooth brush - I have to pinch the tip with my fingers and stretch it out to get to the back. It takes a while as I have a sensitive gag reflex and am mentally grossing myself out which doesn't help in the slightest.

So, there ya go. Adding to the nitty gritty of the program.

It is not enough to deter me though! Fuzzy tongue and filmy teeth are temporary....the weight loss is a sure sign of the shakes working! I am determined to keep the weightloss from being temporary also!

StarlightMintz
06-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Darn thing was terrifying....I spent several minutes scrubbing the bejesus out of my tongue with my tooth brush - I have to pinch the tip with my fingers and stretch it out to get to the back. It takes a while as I have a sensitive gag reflex and am mentally grossing myself out which doesn't help in the slightest.
This made me laugh, sorry! :lol::p:lol:
Thanks for sharing, it's good to know exactly what I'm getting into!

nibog
06-22-2014, 08:20 AM
Yea the scary tongue thing isn't in the informational packet under potential side effects lol .... I thought about bringing a tooth brush to work to but we have the large bathrooms with a few stall in them, not the individual bathrooms....and I do not need my coworkers to walk in and see me attacking my tongue.

I am looking forward to Thursday - - for a couple weeks I am doing Modified while on vacation. I can not wait to CHEW something other than gum! After vacation I am planning on going back to Full Fast to maximize weightloss potential. In the Fall I will probably transition to Modified again and do that for a few months so I can really enjoy (as much as one can on Modified lol) the Holidays.

My husband has been so supportive....since I began my diet he started calorie counting and is now down 15lbs. He mostly cut out soda and started watching portions (I have him now often ordering from the kid's menu at restaurants) - darn him, he made it look so easy!

StarlightMintz
06-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Fantastic that you get to have a long vacation and I don't blame you at all for switching to modified for a bit. What will your food plan look like? Will you do some shakes along with lean meats and veggies? Is your center helping you make this transition?

nibog
06-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Yes, I am doing this transition with the guidance of my Dr. and program leader.

Modified is three shakes, a small serving of fruit, and a meal comprised of a 6oz portion of lean meat and three servings of non starchy vegetables. There is a list of allowed fruits and veggies that fit into the program.

StarlightMintz
06-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Well that sounds easy enough and I'm sure it'll be nice break from the shakes too! :)

nibog
06-24-2014, 08:08 AM
I can not wait to CHEW.

I quite literally start salivating at the thought of plain grilled chicken and broccoli - - as in forget the bib, get me a bucket salivating! I am so looking forward to Thursday evening. From the day I started until Thursday (up to but not including), it will have been 83 days with out eating anything....sounds crazy lol

Wannabechef
06-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Nibog, that is so funny! I am craving grilled chicken on a CRUNCHY
salad!! We are going away in a couple of weeks and I will be switching (temporarily?) to the modified plan while on vacation. Can't wait to chew either :-)

Hope everyone is having a great week!!!

nibog
06-25-2014, 06:00 PM
Good week!!!!!

4.0lb weight loss! Total of 41.8lbs GONE!!! :carrot:
Tomorrow I start the Modified Fast...woo hoo!:D

StarlightMintz
06-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Funny, y'all can't wait to eat and I can't wait to fast! :D You gals have done very well and have been so inspiring! I hope to follow in your footsteps.

41.8 lbs, nibog? You're giving that "drop it like it's hot" phrase new meaning. :)

I had a good day... My physical went ok and after meeting with the nutritionist on Friday I get to start 5 days of transition to full fast! Yay!

nibog
06-25-2014, 06:52 PM
LMAO Starlight - love the edit :D

I am really happy - Over the weekend I finally caved and bought a new bathing suit... Started the program at a size 20, my new suit is a size 14!

nibog
06-26-2014, 06:33 AM
Alrighty....day one of Modified.

Having my first shake now, then around 10am will have my fruit, 1-2pm will have a second shake, 5ish will have dinner (chicken and broccoli - YUM), then will have my third shake around 8-9pm.

Bring. It. ON!

Wannabechef
06-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Nibog, enjoy your first day! I will be anxious to hear how the modified plan impacts weight loss - this is something I am a little worried about. Especially since my efforts are not showing up on the scale last week and this week (and I am still on full fast)....

nibog
06-26-2014, 10:40 AM
Wannabechef =
* How many ounces of water/zero calorie liquid are you consuming? Are you a sipper or a gulper? (drink it in small amounts through out the day or chug it down by 8+ oz at a time)

*Are you having the fiber powder? How much and how often?

*Are your shakes equally spaced out?

*How much exercise are you doing? How often? How much intensity?

Wannabechef
06-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Wannabechef =
* How many ounces of water/zero calorie liquid are you consuming? Are you a sipper or a gulper? (drink it in small amounts through out the day or chug it down by 8+ oz at a time)

*Are you having the fiber powder? How much and how often?

*Are your shakes equally spaced out?

*How much exercise are you doing? How often? How much intensity?

I usually have around 80-90 ounces of water/zero calorie liquid a day. Depending on the circumstance, I gulp or sip. In the morning, when I take my 1 tablespoon of fiber powder, I gulp 16 ounces of water since you shouldn't let the fiber sit (and it's a good way to get 16 ounces in). If it's throughout the day (minus after exercise), I usually sip.

My shakes are spaced out around 3-4 hours (7:30, 11:30, 3:00, 6:30, 9:30 roughly).

Exercise is about 3 times a week (such as brisk walking, exercise videos (cardio walking, low impact aerobics) plus some swimming here and there. As for intensity, I'd say it's moderate - sweating within 10 minutes or so.

Here's a look back at my weekly weight loss:
Week 1--10.2
Week 2-- 2.2
Week 3-- 5.6
Week 4-- 3.0
Week 5-- 1.2

Given that my cycle may interfere at times, it does not explain everything. I am looking forward to gong to modified for at least the week I am away on vacation, but I am worried that the weight loss will really suffer...especially when it will be even harder to stick to even the modified program. Ugh..

nibog
06-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Well, eating has been....weird.

I had a cut up apple this morning as my midmorning snack. Felt bizarre to take the first few bites. I couldn't chomp on it....I had to nibble. Its like I had to remember what to do! Took the better part of an hour to finish it!

Had a shake for "lunch"....was almost relieved to have it!

For dinner I had steamed broccoli and 6oz of chicken breast. I had to cut everyting into teeny bites and chew each one individually otherwise I felt like there was too much in my mouth! (Refrain from jokes please, my husband had plenty!)

My doctor had stressed eating the whole portions and finishing everything took forever! I felt like the food would never end!

I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected....my anxiety over eating and fitting all the food in was nearly overwhelming!

I am so STUFFED right now. The fact that I have one more shake to get through in a few hours is daunting but I'm sure I'll be up to it then.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

StarlightMintz
06-26-2014, 09:32 PM
Wannabe, I bet you have a really big loss next week ... I have my fingers crossed for ya! You're doing all the right things and it's gonna pay off! :)

nibog, I am totally envious of that size 14 bathing suit! :p Its got to feel great to have so much success so quickly! :) I logged in to see how your day with real food has been and your post really surprised me. It does make sense though that it would be a challenge to eat after training yourself to not eat for all these days. I bet tomorrow will be different though. ;)

nibog
06-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Ok....just had the mid morning snack....an orange....and oh LAWDY.....I have never tasted anything so gosh darn good!!!!

I had to pace myself...after that first bite I wanted to devour it whole .... my husband walked in, saw me, and walked out shaking his head. Apparently I had given up my dignity eating that orange.

StarlightMintz
06-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Ok....just had the mid morning snack....an orange....and oh LAWDY.....I have never tasted anything so gosh darn good!!!!

I had to pace myself...after that first bite I wanted to devour it whole .... my husband walked in, saw me, and walked out shaking his head. Apparently I had given up my dignity eating that orange.
:lol::lol::lol:
I laughed myself silly after reading this! My hubby even asked what I was so tickled about. :D
I'm glad you're enjoying your break from the shake. :)

nibog
06-29-2014, 08:04 AM
Really getting into the swing of things now.

Had steak with zucchini and summer squash on the grill friday evening. YUM.
Yesterday I had my first "going out" experience - went to lunch at Chelos and I had a PLAIN grilled chicken breast on a salad of lettuce greens, shredded carrots, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. I brought my own dressing in so I knew exactly what I was having. I measured out two tablespoons of the nonfat vinaigrette dressing at home - first time eating out since end of March and I felt like I was having a gourmet meal!

My fruit today is going to be an orange - hopefully I can hold it together for the sake of my coworkers. Fitting in the three shakes around the two meals is very easy, I figured out a rhythm that I can live with.
1) Shake.
2) Fruit.
3) Shake
4) Lean and Green meal.
5) Shake.

Tonight I am doing chicken on the grill with a light coating of vinaigrette and lemon with greenbeans. I. can. not. wait!

Wannabechef
06-29-2014, 08:08 AM
Well sad to say that after what I thought was a really good week of staying on program, exercising pretty hard four days, and getting lots of liquids in, the scale only showed a 2 pound weight loss. :?: I know that I should not be a slave to the scale and that every loss is a loss and not a gain. But it's frustrating that I try so hard and struggle with the mental aspects of the plan and still plug on with little to show. Yes, I feel better and yes, I am starting to see a difference, but...I was just wanting quicker results to keep my motivation high. Next week I am planning to go to modified for at least my vacation week away. Wondering if I will be set back even further. I guess time will tell!

Happy Sunday all! Hope you have a great week!

nibog
06-29-2014, 08:37 AM
You said you were exercising pretty hard - - how "hard"?? We are not supposed to be doing crazy amounts of exercise on full fast. It is supposed to be at most 60 min a day, no high intensity or weights involved.

Very mild cardio OK, yoga, walking, stretching, wall pushups, stationary lunges etc. When only having 800 calories a day you can "over burn" your calories which will actually slow down weight loss.

I'd check with your program exercise coach to see if maybe you are pushing your body a bit too much while on Full Fast

Wannabechef
06-30-2014, 03:33 PM
My exercise usually is walking (moderately brisk pace) or in-home walking programs (I like Leslie Sansone). These get me huffing and puffing (and sweating ;-) Other than that, I swim on a semi-regular basis. I can understand how exercising too much is trying to draw on calories I don't have - and so maybe my body is holding on to whatever calories I put in. Guess I will have to slow it down a bit. Thanks for your advice!

nibog
07-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Wannabechef - - fingers crossed for you!!! Hopefully you just hit a plateau and you get your deserved losses again!! Keep it up =)

nibog
07-02-2014, 08:06 AM
ok....nervous for tonight

I have followed the program 100% but as usual I have the pre-weigh in butterflies.

I was naughty and weighed myself on the scale this morning in the buff...was 218.4! I know it will be a difference once I weigh in this evening with clothes on and I am going to go by the program's scale but still....I SAW 218!!!!!

nibog
07-02-2014, 03:35 PM
2.6lbs according to the program scale... Weight showed as 220.6 so a total of 44.4lbs lost. I'm calling it 45 lbs because I saw the teens this morning lol

Wannabechef
07-02-2014, 07:09 PM
nibog, that is GREAT!!! :) So happy for you!!

StarlightMintz
07-06-2014, 08:34 AM
2.6lbs according to the program scale... Weight showed as 220.6 so a total of 44.4lbs lost. I'm calling it 45 lbs because I saw the teens this morning lol
Awesome, nibog! I'm curious about how your temporarily modified diet is going. Keep us posted! :)

Wannabechef
07-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Hi all! Hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday!
I finished week 7 and am down a total of 27.2 pounds! A surprising 3 pound loss this week - nibog, I guess you were right about the exercise. I slowed things down a bit this week and focused more on swimming and less taxing cardio.

I started modified today as I will be going away next week. I figured I would give myself the week to transition before going hog-wild on vacation ;-) just kidding. Grilled salmon never tasted so good!

I have been finding it hard to stick 100% to the plan as of late. Being that I am home in the summers and my schedule with the kids can be, well very unscheduled, I am having a hard time resisting temptations. I am hoping that being able to have a meal and fruit a day will satisfy my urge to "cheat" and therefore I will be able to continue to make progress.

Have a great night all!

itsachoice
07-09-2014, 03:08 PM
This is a great thread! I started Optifast on Sunday and was wondering if I could do it-- I have been ravenous. I was so hungry last night I literally tore 2 pieces of sliced ham out of the package and almost swallowed whole!

Reading this gives me lots of optimism (and good information). My first weigh-in will be Thursday (I started on an odd day, so I weigh in after 4 days this first 'week'). I am determined to stick completely to the program and NOT cheat again.

Thanks for the exercise tips-- I've been really overdoing it (going for a walk every time I have cravings, which seems like about every hour)-- good to know that that could actually slow me down!

nibog
07-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Awesome weigh in this week..... Down 5.2lbs!!!!!!
Total of 49.6 lbs!

My weight now is 215.4 lbs.... That is 15.5 lbs from ONEderland!

StarlightMintz
07-09-2014, 06:42 PM
woohoo! nibog! :carrot: You are amazing! :)
Aren't you still doing a modified fast for your vacation? Man, I can't ever remember a time I lost weight while on vacation. :p

itsachoice,
Good luck with your weigh in, and yeah, you shouldn't be doing too much exercise, particularly in the first 2 weeks or so my nutritionist said. ;)

nibog
07-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Yup, still on Modified and considering staying on it. I am enjoying it so far. On a few "dull" days (rain or whatever) I did Full Fast (made it easier than grilling in the rain)

Hubby is supporting the decision to stay on Modified - he has enjoyed eating meals with me again.

His birthday is on August 17th....hoping to hit ONEderland by then...I would feel amazing - dying to feel like a "hot wife".

I have our cake baker from our wedding doing a surprise cake for him...it will be a Batmobile (he is a huge Bat Man fan). Will be torture not to eat it as the things this woman can do with cake is sinful but will be strong...maybe I will steal an extra kiss from him to get the "taste" lol. A month of fantasizing about cake ahead of me...

T.O.M just started so maybe it is just that talking ... not being able to have "real" chocolate or greasy food or wine makes me that much more cravey for a few days

StarlightMintz
07-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Yup, still on Modified and considering staying on it. I am enjoying it so far. On a few "dull" days (rain or whatever) I did Full Fast (made it easier than grilling in the rain)

Hubby is supporting the decision to stay on Modified - he has enjoyed eating meals with me again.

His birthday is on August 17th....hoping to hit ONEderland by then...I would feel amazing - dying to feel like a "hot wife".

I have our cake baker from our wedding doing a surprise cake for him...it will be a Batmobile (he is a huge Bat Man fan). Will be torture not to eat it as the things this woman can do with cake is sinful but will be strong...maybe I will steal an extra kiss from him to get the "taste" lol. A month of fantasizing about cake ahead of me...

T.O.M just started so maybe it is just that talking ... not being able to have "real" chocolate or greasy food or wine makes me that much more cravey for a few days

It seems you've been handling modified very well and I bet you'll do fine continuing with it. With 50 pounds down you're well on your way. That's my favorite thing about the Optifast program... that big, inspiring head start.

The cake sounds super cool but if it's your TOM when your hubby's birthday comes around you might want to have the leftover cake taken out of the house or maybe send it to the batcave! :dizzy: :D

nibog
07-13-2014, 08:46 PM
50 lb update picture!!!

OK....to Recap, here are the beginning pictures...
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jmgobin521/Weightloss/beforesummary.jpg

And now :carrot:

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jmgobin521/Weightloss/2014-07-13%2020.19.44.jpg

StarlightMintz
07-14-2014, 07:12 PM
Oh my goodness! You're disappearing in front of my eyes!! :cp:

Wonderful, just wonderful!
Keep it up! .... You are my inspiration!! :)

nibog
07-15-2014, 11:34 AM
thank you!!!

It feels so good!!

I carried a container of kitty litter up the stairs yesterday...it was a 20lb box and I can't believe that I have lost 2.5 times that amount! It felt so heavy!!!

nibog
07-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Had a disappointing week....only down 0.2lbs.

Followed the program 100% so I know my effort was there. They think it is bloating from the time of the month and maybe have been building muscle mass lately. Will see what happens this week....going to continue following the Modified Fast

StarlightMintz
07-16-2014, 11:18 PM
Had a disappointing week....only down 0.2lbs.

Followed the program 100% so I know my effort was there. They think it is bloating from the time of the month and maybe have been building muscle mass lately. Will see what happens this week....going to continue following the Modified Fast

Don't get discouraged. Modified has been working for you and it will continue to work! :hug:

nibog
07-17-2014, 06:27 AM
Thanks! Definitely not going to go off the diet...I expected a lower loss after the 5.2lbs the week before....just didn't expect it to be THAT low. I think maybe the girl before wrote it down wrong...because 5.2lbs this far into the program is a high loss....oh well. Either way between the two weeks I am down about 2.7 each week and those are numbers I can be very happy with :)

Wannabechef
07-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I checked in. We just got back from a week's vacation on Cape Cod. It was a fabulous week but unfortunately TOM came for a visit and my inhibitions were down. As expected, I gained this week :( But I am right back on track this morning! So I am anticipating this to be just a minor setback.

Here's to a great week!

nibog
07-22-2014, 07:42 AM
WBC it happens!! The TOM is EVIL! Kudoos to you for getting right back on, it can be so hard!

bollywoodprincess
07-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Hello. I just started Optifast on July 15, 2014 (WEEK 2 OFFICIAL MEAL REPLACEMENT)

My first weight in was 7/21, I lost around 6 lbs. I don't feel any weight loss.
But, I am trying to stick to the program perfectly, so I can see results...

nibog
07-24-2014, 06:56 AM
6lbs is awesome!!!! It took me a few weeks to start feeling/seeing it but keep with it!!!

Weigh in last night - -down 3.4lbs!!!

Had my 16 week measurements taken....total inches lost is 26.25!!! I feel awesome - - 7 inches of that alone was from my waist!

I have my exact measurements written down at home and will enter them in later... I am now nearly in a 14...the 14/16s I am wearing are comfortable and my 16 jeans are loose...in a week or two I will try a 14 in jeans.

Weight is now 211.8lbs, total of 53.2lbs lost. I am less than 12 lbs away from the 100s!!!!

Under 200lbs is what my OB-GYN wanted me to be before they would start using treatments to help me conceive. They think the main problem was my irregular cycle due to my weight. I have had normal cycles since starting Optifast and dropping fat. Instead of every 10-14 weeks I have been getting my cycle around 4 weeks to 4 weeks and a few days....DEFINITE improvement... Even my PMS is better!

So I am thinking that I will hold off on starting testing until we try for a few months with me being on a regular cycle. I would love it to happen naturally

StarlightMintz
07-25-2014, 12:22 PM
hi nibog :wave:

It's good to see you doing so well and I wish you all the best on your mother-to-be goal. :)
The amount of pounds and inches you've lost in 16 weeks is incredible! I hope to do half as well!
It's gotta feel great to be so close to that all-mighty 1 :D

Hi there bollywoodprincess and good luck on your 2nd week! :)

nibog
07-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Had a very unexpected happy moment yesterday.

Went with my hubby and two close friends to an amusement park yesterday. I was really nervous because when we went to Six Flags recently (before the diet began), I had that horrible moment of not fitting into the restraints and having to get off the ride. I had never been more humiliated in my life - but it was a huge eye opener as I had not let myself truly see how big I had gotten.

Well yesterday....I fit wonderfully into the rides and even had the glorious feeling of having to tighten the restraints around my midsection. I could have cried I was so ecstatic.

Then....yes it gets better....in the car on the way home I was freezing as my bathing suit was wet under my clothes and my shirt was still drenched from going on a water floom ride. My husband had an extra shirt packed that he hadn't needed to change into and told me to put it on. My husband weighs less than me and his shirts have not fit on me in years. I took my shirt off (still wearing a bathing suit top) and slipped on my husbands nice dry and LOOSE t-shirt!!! I fit....heck! there was lots of ROOM in the shirt!!!! Loose around my hips, stomach, and upper arms!!!

Woohoo! It's moments like this that make it really worth it!!

nibog
07-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Oh...and my measurements updates!
Measurements = inches lost between weeks 1-8 then 8-16, final column is the total

Week #1 - #8 // #8 - #16
Weight = -29.60lbs // -23.60lbs = 53.20 lbs gone
Upperarms = -0.75" // -0.75" = 1.50" gone
Forearms = -0.25" // -0.50" = 0.75" gone
Waist = -4.00" // -3.00" = 7.00" gone
Abdomen = -3.00" // -2.00" = 5.00" gone
Hips = -3.50" // -3.00" = 6.50" gone
Thighs = -2.00" // -1.50" = 3.50" gone
Calves = -1.00" // -1.00" = 2.00" gone

Have gone from a size 20 in jeans and a 2x in shirts to a loose size 16 / snug size 14 in jeans and an XL / L in shirts!
Total lbs lost 53.2lbs.
Total inches lost 26.25".

StarlightMintz
07-30-2014, 11:02 AM
7 inches of waist and 6.5 inches of hips?!! holy smokes! and wow!

Loved your happy moments story! :)

nibog
07-30-2014, 01:10 PM
Thank you!!! Trust me....I still have plenty of booty to lose lol...I have more than my fair share of trunk space

and ty! it was quite a happy moment!!

nibog
08-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Down another 1.2lbs...total of 54.4!

I seem to have fallen into a cycle of a "higher loss" / "lower loss" cycle every other week. Oh well...

DOWN is DOWN

nibog
08-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Just excited to say that my husband and I have lost over 75lbs together since April....Words can not even begin to explain how happy and proud I feel.

When I started my weight loss journey I did it as MY journey, not expecting my husband to make it with me. He had a bit of a tummy but really wasn't at the stage I was at. (He is one of those with perpetual Chicken Legs). Most of his tummy was from his soda drinking. He doesn't smoke or drink alcohol and hey, we all have vices so I didn't mind at all.

A few weeks into my Optifast diet he started calorie counting/portion controlling. When I asked him why he decided to change his diet he said, "Well, if you aren't eating....the least I can do is try and eat better! This way when you are back to eating and have to eat healthy, we can have dinners together. You are making a lifestyle change and I want to make one with you. Our children are going to grow up in a healthy household so that they don't have to go through this in their futures."

You can imagine how loved that made me feel. One of the main reasons I started my journey is to have children...

I started at 5'3.5 and 265lbs. He started at 5'8 and 217 lbs.
I am down 54.4lbs and he is down 20.8lbs!!! Woo-hoo!!!!!!
I am about halfway through what I want to do (55 lbs...want to get down 100-120lbs) and he is halfway through his (down 20, wants to lose a total of 40lbs).

Can't wait for the next stage of our journey :val2:

nibog
08-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Had a good week!
Lost 4.8lbs! 59.2 total! Weight is 205.8 now!!

I am almost in the one hundreds!

nibog
08-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Thought I would share a few of my favorite Modified meals, foods, and dressings.

First disclosure....I hate all things fish, seafood, etc...if it lives an aquatic lifestyle I won't eat it.
Second....my husband and I are pretty plain when it comes to eating.

Meats I can have on the program have to be lean or extra lean. Minimum of 93%lean. Serving size is 5-6oz, weight after cooking.

Meats -
* Basic is plain grilled Chicken, steak, pork obviously.... I really love putting tinfoil shaped in bowls with wood chips in between the burners of our gas grill so that the meat gets lightly smoked too. Makes it taste ahhhhh-mazing!! I lightly spray the chips down with water so they take a bit to heat up. I cook the meats on low (I like steak med/rare) so that by the time it starts smoking the meat is nearly done cooking. I turn up the heat to med and keep a squirt bottle ready to spray out any flames that grow too big. We have fun experimenting with different types of wood chips and different meats. Hickory and Oak are awesome on steak. Apple and Cherry are our favorites on pork. The chicken doesn't pick up that much flavor, you just get a bit of smokiness.

* Buffalo Burgers. Yes...burgers. Well, kind of. I take a lb of 93% lean ground beef and separate it into quarters. Two of the portions I put into a bowl and pour some Franks Hot Sauce on to it. I mix it well into the meat with my hands then form two burger patties with it. My husband doesn't like buffalo so the other half of the meat is formed into two regular burger patties for him. While he is doing his magic on the grill, I am dicing up tomatoes and gently separating leaves of iceberg lettuce so they stay huge and whole. I weigh my patties, trim off any extra weight so that it gets to be my allowed range of 5-6oz then I crumble it up with a fork. I use the giant leaves of iceberg almost like a taco wrap and stuff it with tomatoes and some beef. It is delicious!!! I generally use 1-2 whole tomatoes and 8 leaves of iceberg. It's meaty, buffalo-y, crunchy, juicy...just incredible :D

* Turkey Chili.
A lb of extra lean ground turkey. I was hesitant to use any canned tomato products as I don't know how they are preserved/sodium content/hidden extras etc. I used 4 tomatoes, 2 bell peppers, an onion, 3 cloves garlic, kidney beans, a summer squash and a zucchini. Some chili powder - maybe 1-2 teaspoons - I just pour it in. My husband hates chunks of veggies so I puree the veggies (except the beans) with my magic bullet/blender. I cooked the zucchini and squash in the oven to soften them while I chopped all the veggies and cooked the turkey in a pan. The pureed veggies made a great sauce. Dumped the pureed veggies, cooked ground turkey, beans, and chili powder into my crockpot and let it go for a few hours. So good. Even better the next night when it had time to settle and thicken. Now I cook it a day ahead and it is perfect.

These are some that have become regulars in my household and when I go out to eat that is when I usually do a straight grilled chicken salad, no cheese/croutons/dressing etc from the restaurant. I bring my own dressing.

Which brings me to the dressings I have found that I love!!! Some dressings that are "diet dressings" I think taste awful...these are the two I have found that even non-diet people love.

My program says we can use dressings that are under 25 calories for 2 Tbsp (not easy to find!!!) and zero grams of fat.
Maple Grove Farms of Vermont to the rescue! Found them in Shaws and Stop&Shop. Two of their flavors (that I have found) fit the requirments. (Most, if not all, of their selection is also gluten free - in case any of you need that)
1) Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette.
For 2 Tbsp - 15 calories, 0 grams of fat, 120mg Sodium, 3g Total Carb, 2g Sugars, 0g Protein.
2) Sugar Free Raspberry Vinaigrette. (Their "Fat Free" Raspberry Vinaigrette had too may calories to fit the requirements.)
For 2 Tbsp - 5 calories, 0 grams of fat, 180mg Sodium, 1g Total Carb, 0g Sugars, 0g Protein.

Hope this helps someone.

nibog
08-10-2014, 08:38 PM
60 lb update pictures.

Me in my workout gear (excuse the bit of sweatiness, these were post workout)

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jmgobin521/Weightloss/IMG_20140810_202839.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jmgobin521/Weightloss/IMG_20140810_202950.jpg

Still have a tummy and a whole lotta bum but I am happy!!! Not quite the spare tire and trunk I was lugging around before!

StarlightMintz
08-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Thank you for the modified meal post! That's sure to be very helpful to those of us who are following in your footsteps, so to speak. :)

and just look at you!!! you've come so far ... and I spy a new haircut! :)

You're awesome! Go nibog!! :cheer3:

nibog
08-13-2014, 06:15 AM
I am touched that you noticed! I grow my hair so I can donate it ever 2-3 years to Locks of Love

I just donated again a few weeks ago, my fourth donation. Now if I could only get my sister to do it....she has the most incredible, thick hair!

nibog
08-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Even with the time of the month I had a good week.
Down 2.6lbs. Total of 61.8!
Weight is now 203.2lbs

nibog
08-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Willpower is being tested today.

Hubby's 30th bday party is today. House is being filled with the smells of yummy things cooking - that's fine.

It's the $300 cake hidden downstairs that is taunting me. I commissioned the same baker who did our wedding cake to do a Bat Mobile cake for my husband. She is a goddess with pastry - I am going to resist but it is killing me. Especially the free cupcakes she gave me also. One of those could disappear and no one but me would be the wiser lol.

I will be strong - I will be strong - I will be strong - - - just going to keep chanting that all day. I will probably freeze a piece of the cake for myself to have a bite in a few months after I am weaned off Optifast.

nibog
08-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Bday bash was a blast!!! And I stuck 100% true to the program. :carrot:

I'll be honest, yesterday morning I was having a teensy bit of self doubt - TOM lowers my willpower.

I also want to say I ROCKED my Batman dress - I was panicking because I ordered and XL and a L came in - It fit! Wore some leggings for bending over security and I had so many compliments on my weight loss- really showed off that I am getting the hourglass shape I was aiming for!!

Here is my husband Steve and I
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jmgobin521/Weightloss/10612613_10100190144875469_4287329502512153548_n.j pg

And his amazing Batmobile Cake
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jmgobin521/Weightloss/1536695_10100190144975269_2412349182400776087_n.jp g
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jmgobin521/Weightloss/1911828_10100190145070079_3995940227476530507_n.jp g

Now today is a resting day. My legs are absolutely killing me today from all the running around I did yesterday in my heels (hard to tell in the pic but those are wedge heel sandals) - Great for walking and work, but I can feel it in my thighs today from all the stairs I did

MaryBB
08-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Congratulations on your weight loss and the cake looks incredible :)

StarlightMintz
08-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Gee nibog, you went all out for your hubby's birthday!! The batman outfit is really cute and looks great on you. I'm sure your hubby thinks so too! :) The cake is perfect ... very impressive! I know you are proud of yourself for not eating those empty calories though. Good for you for having what it takes to stay on plan! :bravo:

nibog
08-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!
Holy flipping cow!!

I lost 3.4 lbs... .. Total of 65.2lbs!!
My weight is 199.8!!!!!!!

I'm in Underland!!! I could cry I'm so happy!

twish
08-21-2014, 05:29 PM
congratulations on your success so far!!!

nibog
08-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Thank you! It feels amazing!

nibog
08-28-2014, 11:05 AM
OK well lots of things going on.

Today completes my 21st week of my areas 22 week program.

The 4th is my official "end date" - holy cow! 22 weeks has gone by so fast. Very proud to say I have followed the program 100% - and I think my progress shows in my weight loss.

I had intended to bump the program up month by month and start the Step 1 of transition.

Currently I am on 3 products and 1 meal (the fruit doesn't "count" towards a meal)
Step 1: 2 products and 2 meals (introducing starches and dairy back into the diet slowly)

Well I have accepted a new job (couldn't pass it up - better hours, better pay, better benefits!) and I start the 10th of September. The only down side is by the time I get out of work, there are no more meetings offered by my program - I will have to do the transition on my own.

Which means I am leaving Optifast faster than I originally intended and will be jumping into Weight Watchers.

I feel ready. I am going to be scheduling a sit down with the Nutritionist offered by my Optifast program and the exercise coach and set up a game plan.

The main part of the program, it is not just reducing portions and eating only what they allow, the large part is the behavior modification. Retraining yourself.

I think I have this down. I WANT to keep going - I love how I feel and I love the way my life has changed because of this journey.

I have found a confidence in myself that I lost long ago, IF I ever had it.
I think that had a huge impact on my interviews with prospective employers because I had a LOT of offers that I did not think I would get.

So...bring on the next stop of this journey - I can not wait.
:carrot:

nibog
08-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Down another 2.6lbs last night.

Brings my total to 67.8lbs!!!!

Hoping I can hit 70lbs for my final weigh-in with Optifast next week.

Today I am starting the Step 1 in transitioning. I am reducing my Optifast intake from 3 products to 2 products and adding a low fat dairy serving and 2 servings of starch to my day.

Just had scrambled egg beaters for breakfast alongside with my morning coffee. Going grocery shopping to day to stock up on more fruit, light english muffins, light yogurt etc etc... the starches are probably going to be a bit harder for me to want to eat - I have gotten so used to not "wanting" bread, potatoes, pasta, cereal, pretzels etc than not I truly don't want them!

MaryBB
08-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Congratulations!!!!! What a fantastic job! Your post is very inspiring :carrot:

I am at the end of week 2 so a long way to go. Do you mind sharing a few of the stages along the way and any tips you have? When did you start introducing anything other than the 5 shakes?

Keep up the great work!

nibog
09-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Hi MaryBB

if you look back through my posts I have my transitioning to Modified fast around the 11th week (my choice due to having a bunch of vacation time coming up)

I am now 1/2 way through my first week of transitioning and boy oh boy it's been interesting.

Adding starches has been the hardest adjustment....I am just not used to eating bread, potatoes, pasta, pretzels etc anymore.

I am meeting with the program nutritionist this afternoon to set up a game plan for going forward and then am seeing the exercise coach to set up a new exercise routine.

nibog
09-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Had a great time at my measurements today...

I have lost a total of.....37.75" !!!!

:carrot::carrot::carrot:

I have lost
Upper arm - 2"
Forearm -1.25"
Waist - 9"
Abdomen - 9"
Hips - 9.5"
Thighs - 4.5"
Calves - 2.5"

I will have my weigh in on Thursday evening at my last meeting.

Friday will be my new meeting time for Weight Watchers as I continue my journey. And what a journey it's been!

Olivia7906
09-03-2014, 08:17 AM
Wooooow!! You are below 200 already?! Your weight has been FLYING off!! I know you are so happy! Great job!! :D

nibog
09-04-2014, 07:04 AM
Went on my first real shopping spree yesterday - was celebrating the completion of 22 weeks of Optifast with zero cheats, nearly 38 inches and 70lbs lost (will get final weight tonight but last week's 68lbs brings me close enough lol), and the new job...:carrot:

Spent about 3 hours shopping...bought new dress slacks, over a dozen new tops, a few cardigans, a dress, underwear that no longer looks like it could double as a parachute.... it felt amazing!

Going through the "regular" sizes and buying L instead of 2X/XXL felt out of this world. I actually had fun in the dressing rooms and didn't feel like crying for the first time in years.

Step1 of transition feels like it has been going well, will see what the scale says tonight.

nibog
09-04-2014, 03:42 PM
OK so technically I am finishing the 22 weeks with 69lbs lost but darn it I am calling it 70lbs lol....

nibog
09-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Did my first Weight Watchers meeting and weigh-in this morning and a morning weigh-in vs an evening one knocked another 0.8 lb off which always makes a gal feel good! Loved seeing 195 on the scale!

nibog
09-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Ok.

First week on Weight Watchers, AND at the new job, AND on 100% food is complete.

TOM is right around the corner (any day now)

So I was very worried about this week's weigh-in.
I stuck to Weight Watcher's Simply filling 100% (was very very very similar to the food list for transitioning from Optifast so I am doing this plan rather than pointing everything)

I was shocked that I lost 2.2lbs!!! I figured I would lose SOMETHING but was honestly scared about possible gain while my body adjusts and starts stockpiling water weight for the impeding TOM.

So...yay me!

total is 71.4 lbs so combined with my husbands weight loss we have now hit 100lbs!!!! yay us!

Having my first martini tonight in celebration. Just one, mind you :D

MaryBB
09-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Wow, you are doing great. Very inspiring. Enjoy the martini :hat: and keep up the good work.

mdslim
09-19-2014, 05:38 AM
You are doing awesome nibog. Congratulations!!!

Bardess
09-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Hi nibog. I've just read your whole thread - you are quite the inspiration! I'm very impressed. Congratulations on all your success. :)

twish
09-22-2014, 02:53 PM
Congratulations nibog!!!

I'm on week 4, but I've slipped up a few times. Life goes on, but I'm hoping to be able to stick with it because I know it works!!! nibog's journey is proof!

nibog
09-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Thank you guys!!!

I am having fun with Weight Watchers so far...Weigh in again on this friday. Lost another pound last week (TOM!) - feels darn good!

nibog
09-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Hit the 75lb mark this week!!! 75.2 lbs to be exact :carrot: Which brings me to 189.8 !!!! I haven't seen the 180s in so long!

It's been a stressful week.
I resigned from my new job after being asked to do some unethical and illegal things with paperwork, billing etc... Oh well. Live and learn!

And I fractured a rib trying to slam shut my garage door because it gets stuck sometimes...so with the pain meds messing with my eating schedule, the stress and restricted exercise I was afraid of weighing in but I lost 2.8 lbs this week!

Probably from all the anxiety but hey, I'll take it.

Looking forward to the next week

nibog
09-28-2014, 08:07 AM
Yesterday was a rough day.

We had to put down our cat Arnold yesterday. We would have turned 19 this Tuesday, Sept 30th. He was diagnosed with liver cancer three years ago and yesterday he let us know he was ready. I wasn't up to cooking last night so we just ordered a pizza and my stomach made me pay dearly for it. Today will be a better day, however painful it is.