Ideal Protein Diet - IP weekend chat

View Full Version : IP weekend chat

lisa32989
04-05-2014, 09:59 AM
:welcome2:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on plan

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/243142-have-question-about-ip-read-here-first-before-posting-question.html): Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads,
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html)and here are the most recent Ideal Protein Protocol sheets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4701599-post49.html)

And before you cheat, read this thread:
The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/221536-real-cost-cheating-ideal-protein.html)

Before starting new threads: spend some time reading the forum. Most new threads are duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates. Folks who are the most successful, make time for research/reading.

More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow.html)
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268669-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-volumn-2-a.html)
Fun with Ideal Protein Packets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212175-fun-ideal-protein-packets.html)
Fun with Veggie Purees! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html)
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/273856-ideal-protein-diet-recipes-4-a.html)
Tips and Recipes from the Incredible Weight Loss Center (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270950-ideal-protein-tips-recipes-incredible-weight-loss-center.html)

For those looking for alternative products
Here is a thread with tons of info. Spend some time in it. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270731-alternative-products-will-work-phase-1-a.html
And here is a link to a chart (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4677467-post240.html) to help you choose appropriate products

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcements-forum-help/203435-ultimate-one-stop-signature-ticker-thread-read-here-if-you-have-questions.html) for more information and instructions.

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427715-post155.html) Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos
Mini-Goal Photo Album (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/).

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website (http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19)

calypso58
04-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Happy Weekend everyone!

Billy7613
04-05-2014, 12:38 PM
This is my first weekend in IP. I am eating something good today. Got the idea from another poster... Taking the chili packet and putting it on a salad ..with onions, peppers, mushrooms. It's pretty tasty! I did a bad thing this morning :( something I promised not to do. I stepped on my scale. This is day 5 and no movement. I decided not to worry and just keep going as it's bound to move at some point. I won't be doing that again.

Annik
04-05-2014, 12:50 PM
This is my first weekend in IP. I am eating something good today. Got the idea from another poster... Taking the chili packet and putting it on a salad ..with onions, peppers, mushrooms. It's pretty tasty! I did a bad thing this morning :( something I promised not to do. I stepped on my scale. This is day 5 and no movement. I decided not to worry and just keep going as it's bound to move at some point. I won't be doing that again.

As frustrating as it is when we want the scale to show our progress, remember that:
- weight loss is not a linear process
- the body is always making adjustments. When it's doing this, sometimes it is hanging on to more water. This affects what showing up on the scale
- the scale is not the only place that gives confirmation of victories. If we look only to the scale for confirmation of success, we are bound to face periodic disappointments. Cast a wider way of looking at things. The scale is only one tool and it's not 'God'!

I do step on the scale everyday. It's not always a good practice but my scale (Withings) transmits a digital graph to my iPhone. Though the graph shows a steady progression over time in a downward trend over time, it also shows how up and down bumps and stalls are part of the journey. Just the way it is.

If you can step on the scale and still remember the big picture, then the particular number is not so distressing... But that can be hard (in my experience at times...not always so up to rising up for the big picture!)

Keep going! You'll get there! In fact because you are doing this, you are in a way already there!

xoxo

Annik
04-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Here is a screen shot of the last six months of my journey. Though I have been successful, lots of bumps from the scale's point of view.

Billy7613
04-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Thanks for sharing. I have and "old school" scale. Maybe I should consider getting a new one.... That is pretty cool that it send it to you iPhone! Thanks for your support!

AmberLS
04-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Hello 16's good bye 18's WOOT WOOT... the last week has been good to me!

TBird
04-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Yesterday(Day 2) morning, I had a leg cramp that about killed me! Today...still sore!!! I cannot flex my foot or walk properly. Anyone have this happen?

Rubygirl
04-05-2014, 02:15 PM

Yay for you!!! Congrats:D

Billy7613
04-05-2014, 02:17 PM

You look awesome! Congrats!

ChipnDip
04-05-2014, 02:26 PM

Congrats!

Just shows how different body types are and the differences in brand sizing. I weigh almost the same as you and I am still in a 20! I don't even remember when I was in an 18!

ChipnDip
04-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Last night we went to a Greek place for dinner. I got the low carb plate and even had them hold the tomatoes from the Greek salad. (With green peppers and cuties on a bed of romaine they actually gave me more than 2 cups of veggies!) I thought I was doing pretty good. I knew I would be a little high in the oil but I was ok with that. I was really enjoying it until I suddenly realized they probably used red wine vinegar! I worried all night as I know that's a no no. I used my ketostix this morning and I was fine. So I looked at the nutrition info on my RWV and it is 0-0-0! Even online at nutrition data it is 0.6 for a whole cup! And cider vinegar is 2.2 carbs for the same amount. I don't get it.

Jenny38
04-05-2014, 02:44 PM

Way to go!

So happy the weekend is here. I have been super hungry all week, hoping it will get better. Struggled with constipation. Someone suggested drinking Metamucil which is a fibre powder mixed in water but no calories. I thought it may also help with the hunger. Any thoughts?

SylviesGirl
04-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Yesterday(Day 2) morning, I had a leg cramp that about killed me! Today...still sore!!! I cannot flex my foot or walk properly. Anyone have this happen?

I have not had this, but I thought I just read on the daily chat a couple of days back about someone else having this. It was suggested to talk to your coach as they sometimes up your magnesium intake. I believe that fixed it for that person. Hopefully, they will chime in. Otherwise, I think it was on Wednesday, but don't have time to look back right now. (I'm painting my dining room. :dizzy:) Feel better.

Ruth Ann
04-05-2014, 03:14 PM

That happens to me on occasion and my coach told me to take an extra potassium at night in addition to the one I take in the morning for a couple of days. Worked like a charm.

Make sure you're getting all your salt in too.

dcs0826
04-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Happy Saturday all. I am in the midst of a camping weekend with lots of family and many tasty temptations (ice cream cake, chocolates, wine, chips, just to name a few). So far reminding myself that my weight loss is more important to me than these foods has been a great deterrent.

dcs0826
04-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Way to go!

So happy the weekend is here. I have been super hungry all week, hoping it will get better. Struggled with constipation. Someone suggested drinking Metamucil which is a fibre powder mixed in water but no calories. I thought it may also help with the hunger. Any thoughts?

My coach said no Metamucil. Don't remember the explanation she gave as to why not, though.

AlaskaLadyie
04-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Newbie Here... I wanted different vegetable while getting groceries last night so bought Parsnips thinking they were a limited.......... Of course I ate 2 cups it was late after getting groceries after working and putting groceries away and then cooking I then looked at the food list they are not allowed at all..OPPS
Can only go on from here....... Ironically they also affected my arthritis so I wont be even tempted again.. I try my best to not eat night shade vegetables due to arthritis ...but it very much limits the vegetables choices I also suffer from bad Gas (TMI) so a lot of the cabbage broccoli and cauliflower family is not a great choice...lettuce cucumbers get boring

gnalosit
04-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Happy Saturday all. I am in the midst of a camping weekend with lots of family and many tasty temptations (ice cream cake, chocolates, wine, chips, just to name a few). So far reminding myself that my weight loss is more important to me than these foods has been a great deterrent.

I've tried Smooth Move tea, it seems to help.

gnalosit
04-05-2014, 03:52 PM
WI #8 down 4.4lbs! Glad to have a good loss before I hit the road next week. Went to pick up some clothes for my trip and took both 18's and 16's into the dressing room, 16's fit perfectly! Both great motivators to stay OP next week.

Have a great weekend everyone!

murphypuppy
04-05-2014, 03:53 PM

Woot woot!! :carrot:

catlady1981
04-05-2014, 04:32 PM
WI #6 lost 1 lb. About what I expected. Stupid HRT.:mad:

The good news is that I discovered a Farmers Market right around the corner from my clinic. They will be there every Sat. so I can pop by there and pick up some great stuff. Veggies were in short supply since it's early in the season, but I found pastured eggs as well as grass fed beef, buffalo, pork and chicken. I picked up a couple lbs of ground buffalo and am looking forward to some tasty burgers.

Hiker88
04-05-2014, 05:19 PM
I'm enjoying a relaxing day at home. Its seems that I've been on a dead run since I got back from holidays. Between going off program a few days in Hawaii and pure exhaustion I've been struggling.... I decided to just be at home all weekend and relax (well... clean my room and do laundry but lots of relaxing going on in between!)

It feels good to take the time to refocus on why I'm losing weight in the first place and get determined to finish it through to the end... I needed to take some time to see how far I've come and look at those cute dresses I want to fit into for upcoming weddings. Last night I started feeling like it was time to phase off but I think it was the fatigue talking.

I'm hoping to get lots of rest and get back into the 'zone' I was in for so many months!

SylviesGirl
04-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Newbie Here... I wanted different vegetable while getting groceries last night so bought Parsnips thinking they were a limited.......... Of course I ate 2 cups it was late after getting groceries after working and putting groceries away and then cooking I then looked at the food list they are not allowed at all..OPPS
Can only go on from here....... Ironically they also affected my arthritis so I wont be even tempted again.. I try my best to not eat night shade vegetables due to arthritis ...but it very much limits the vegetables choices I also suffer from bad Gas (TMI) so a lot of the cabbage broccoli and cauliflower family is not a great choice...lettuce cucumbers get boring

I'll chime in with a vegetable discovery I have made since being on IP. Okra. I have no idea if they are "night shade" or not, but you probably do. I do know that they are the bud of a flower. Anyway, it came to us in our CSA basket last year, week after week, so I figured I should find a way to use it. I now LOVE it and could not live without it, IP or not. My grocery store just started carrying it regularly in the produce department, so maybe yours does, too. I wash them, shake them dry, toss with olive oil and salt, and roast at 425* for approx. 20 - 25 mins or so. Sometimes I flip them half way through to make them a bit more evenly roasted, but not imperative that you do. They are a bit crisp and a bit chewy and roasted and yummy. I find that salting them well -- sometimes again out of the oven -- is very important, to my taste anyway. Anyway, just offering an idea if you feel the need to find something new.

sweetharmony
04-05-2014, 07:54 PM

Fantastic!!!:carrot:

sweetharmony
04-05-2014, 07:58 PM
We had a friend stop by today that I haven't seen since the beginning of the year. He asked me if I had lost weight!!! :-) He's the first person to ask me that and it made me feel so good to have somebody actually notice!! (I realize it's not always as apparent to those that see me often) So a very nice NSV for me today!!!

sweetharmony
04-05-2014, 08:00 PM
WI #8 down 4.4lbs! Glad to have a good loss before I hit the road next week. Went to pick up some clothes for my trip and took both 18's and 16's into the dressing room, 16's fit perfectly! Both great motivators to stay OP next week.

That's great!!! Congrats!!! :cp:

AlaskaLadyie
04-05-2014, 08:15 PM
I'll chime in with a vegetable discovery I have made since being on IP. Okra. I have no idea if they are "night shade" or not, but you probably do. I do know that they are the bud of a flower. Anyway, it came to us in our CSA basket last year, week after week, so I figured I should find a way to use it. I now LOVE it and could not live without it, IP or not. My grocery store just started carrying it regularly in the produce department, so maybe yours does, too. I wash them, shake them dry, toss with olive oil and salt, and roast at 425* for approx. 20 - 25 mins or so. Sometimes I flip them half way through to make them a bit more evenly roasted, but not imperative that you do. They are a bit crisp and a bit chewy and roasted and yummy. I find that salting them well -- sometimes again out of the oven -- is very important, to my taste anyway. Anyway, just offering an idea if you feel the need to find something new.Thank you I also read somewhere that okra is good for lowering blood sugar not sure if true or not... I will have to look to see if stores here in Alaska sell raw Okra.. I also have boiled Radishes either the red ones or big long white ones and then mashed them up like Mashed Potatoes. I should have bought Radishes instead I ate them when I did the hGC Diet I do not like raw radishes at all YUCK but boiled they taste different..So I will look for the big ones next week

lisa32989
04-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Last night we went to a Greek place for dinner. I got the low carb plate and even had them hold the tomatoes from the Greek salad. (With green peppers and cuties on a bed of romaine they actually gave me more than 2 cups of veggies!) I thought I was doing pretty good. I knew I would be a little high in the oil but I was ok with that. I was really enjoying it until I suddenly realized they probably used red wine vinegar! I worried all night as I know that's a no no. I used my ketostix this morning and I was fine. So I looked at the nutrition info on my RWV and it is 0-0-0! Even online at nutrition data it is 0.6 for a whole cup! And cider vinegar is 2.2 carbs for the same amount. I don't get it.
I started eliminating the restricted on days I eat out. I just figure probably SOMETHING will slip in no matter how diligent I am. Elminating the restricted creates what I consider to be "room for error" with something I may have forgotten to mention when ordering (or some "hidden" IP cheat I didn't even know about).

Balsamic vinegar is the one to be "scared" of. People like it because it has a high sugar content.

As far as one thing looking better than an allowed thing, I've taken this attitude: The plan works. The more I question the rules, the harder I eventually make it on myself.

lisa32989
04-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Way to go!

Instead of metamucil, which can actually make the C worse, be sure you're getting all of your water (and then some) and buy some Calm. The added magnesium should clear you out.

ReenHag
04-05-2014, 08:27 PM

Excellent! Congrats!

Congrats on making it to your first IP weekend! Trust in the plan, and the scale will move. I have felt your disappointment before, many of us have, but we have also been successful on this program. It will happen! Not as quickly as we would like, but that expectation is just not realistic. Keep up the good work!

Way to go! Flex those willpower muscles!

Congrats!

WI #6 lost 1 lb. About what I expected. Stupid HRT.:mad:

The good news is that I discovered a Farmers Market right around the corner from my clinic. They will be there every Sat. so I can pop by there and pick up some great stuff. Veggies were in short supply since it's early in the season, but I found pastured eggs as well as grass fed beef, buffalo, pork and chicken. I picked up a couple lbs of ground buffalo and am looking forward to some tasty burgers.

Congrats on your loss, and on finding the farmers market. How convenient! I love some bison!!

I'm enjoying a relaxing day at home. Its seems that I've been on a dead run since I got back from holidays. Between going off program a few days in Hawaii and pure exhaustion I've been struggling.... I decided to just be at home all weekend and relax (well... clean my room and do laundry but lots of relaxing going on in between!)

It feels good to take the time to refocus on why I'm losing weight in the first place and get determined to finish it through to the end... I needed to take some time to see how far I've come and look at those cute dresses I want to fit into for upcoming weddings. Last night I started feeling like it was time to phase off but I think it was the fatigue talking.

I'm hoping to get lots of rest and get back into the 'zone' I was in for so many months!

Enjoy your relaxing weekend! Hope it does help you get back into the mindset you need.

We had a friend stop by today that I haven't seen since the beginning of the year. He asked me if I had lost weight!!! :-) He's the first person to ask me that and it made me feel so good to have somebody actually notice!! (I realize it's not always as apparent to those that see me often) So a very nice NSV for me today!!!

Congrats! That is always a nice feeling!

SylviesGirl
04-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Thank you I also read somewhere that okra is good for lowering blood sugar not sure if true or not... I will have to look to see if stores here in Alaska sell raw Okra.. I also have boiled Radishes either the red ones or big long white ones and then mashed them up like Mashed Potatoes. I should have bought Radishes instead I ate them when I did the hGC Diet I do not like raw radishes at all YUCK but boiled they taste different..So I will look for the big ones next week

That's so interesting about making mashed radishes! I always add a bit of horseradish to my mashed potatoes (at least, when I used to make mashed potatoes ;) ). I wonder if I would like that -- I will have to try them and see. Thanks for the idea!

hopeisallthereis
04-05-2014, 09:05 PM
I had two NSVs this week and one OSV(?):
1. I was travelling for work all week and was able to stay 99.9% OP (there were some shredded beets I couldn't pull out of a veggie mix)
2. When I wrapped myself in the hotel's towel, I felt adequately covered for the first time in a long time :)
3. I lost 2 lbs when I weighed myself for the first time since my return, which now brings me to my lowest adult weight ever :)))))

Lots to be happy about today!

IPCali
04-05-2014, 09:07 PM

4.4 lbs and size 16.

Rock star!

Hiker88
04-05-2014, 09:14 PM
1. I was travelling for work all week and was able to stay 99.9% OP (there were some shredded beets I couldn't pull out of a veggie mix)
2. When I wrapped myself in the hotel's towel, I felt adequately covered for the first time in a long time :)
3. I lost 2 lbs when I weighed myself for the first time since my return, which now brings me to my lowest adult weight ever :)))))

Good for you! #3 is my favourite!

hopeisallthereis
04-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Good for you! #3 is my favourite!

Thanks, Hiker. Admittedly, that is my favorite, too :)

drd1961
04-05-2014, 09:26 PM

All that stuff will always be there, so don't treat it as special. Time with your family is special so focus on that.

drd1961
04-05-2014, 09:32 PM
I only have one pair of capris so I was out today and got another pair. I still cannot get used to picking size 3's and 5's off the rack.

AmberLS
04-05-2014, 09:56 PM
Congrats!

Just shows how different body types are and the differences in brand sizing. I weigh almost the same as you and I am still in a 20! I don't even remember when I was in an 18!

They are still a little tight, but not unbearably or uncomfortably so. Funny cause it depends on the pants still, I will be really happy when I can wear 16's in any brand, some of my 18's are still tight in certain places. In some ways I'm lucky because I gain proportionately all over, however sometimes that's unlucky. I'm down almost 30lbs as of this morning and still haven't "fully" changed sizes. I've been in an 18 from the start, although I wore some 22's. Now I only wear 18's and some 16's I guess as of today. My waist is shrinking but my hips and butt still haven't quite caught up, although they seem to have lost most of the cellulite appearance which I'm not gonna complain about at all!!!! In fact all over my body there appears to be less dimpling and cellulite fat! I haven't worn a 16 in 6.5 years or more.. I'm excited and the thought of 14's makes me giddy cause that means I don't necessarily have to shop in the plus size department!!!

bluegingham
04-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Congratulations to everyone celebrating a NSV this week! :cp:

I am celebrating as well! BMI is no longer considering "OBESE", just OVERWEIGHT! I'll take it because I know that in a few months, it will no longer, be OVERWEIGHT, it will be NORMAL!

Annik
04-05-2014, 10:16 PM
yay, bluegingham!!!

hopeisallthereis
04-05-2014, 10:17 PM

I am celebrating as well! BMI is no longer considering "OBESE", just OVERWEIGHT! I'll take it because I know that in a few months, it will no longer, be OVERWEIGHT, it will be NORMAL!

That is amazing bluegingham! A huge victory! Congrats!:carrot:

AmberLS
04-05-2014, 10:19 PM

Good job! I've been watching my obese category go down on my app, looking forward to just overweight myself. It seems as though we're the same height so I guess I'm looking forward to 182 lol! GOOD JOB!!! :carrot::carrot::carrot:

AmberLS
04-05-2014, 10:26 PM
I talked with my coach today about my possible plans to go to Las Vegas next weekend for a week. I told him my concerns, the plan is to go visit my best friend who lives there and take our kids to do some fun stuff. I will be staying at her house, but I'm concerned the temptation to sit and drink wine with her will be overwhelming since I may not see her for a long time (she's moving to Alaska). We like to drink wine. I know I do not need to and etc. so I'm telling my coach and he says I should go for it. He says he is impressed at my dedication to staying on the program and that after 8 weeks doing so well it wouldn't be the end of the world. He said it'd take me a few days to get back on track and I'd have to go through those rough days again, but that I should go have drinks with my friend before she leaves. I was surprised at his answer. I am too torn though I think I am going to stay home, save the money, and keep trucking, I really want to be under 200 before my trip to South Padre Island.

wildirishrose
04-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Question for y'all....Monday will be 8 weeks since I started IP. I do not crave things, but I do want foods such as pizza, chips, cake and I'm worried about that in phase 4. It's very hard work losing all this weight, but I'm not necessarily wanting to give up food that I like forever....I still have a lot to loose so it's not an immediate concern, but does anyone have any thoughts?

AmberLS
04-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Question for y'all....Monday will be 8 weeks since I started IP. I do not crave things, but I do want foods such as pizza, chips, cake and I'm worried about that in phase 4. It's very hard work losing all this weight, but I'm not necessarily wanting to give up food that I like forever....I still have a lot to loose so it's not an immediate concern, but does anyone have any thoughts?

I wonder about the same thing. I was just thinking about it today as I get closer to my goal. I want to be able to return to a "all things in moderation" lifestyle. I am torn because I'm not one who's always been heavy, I know how I got there and it wasn't a life of poor eating it was pregnancy, bed rest, depression and poor eating during that time that got me there. I was far from a carb junkie, other than fruit and wine lol, I'm not really a sweets eater other than during TOM. I just want to be sure I can return to some of my favorite things. Everyone says "remember that will be there when you're done with IP" which helps get me through a lot of things, but the question is WILL IT? Will I really be able to eat like other people ever again? I don't want to mess up my hard work so the thought ways on me a lot, what's going to happen when I drink some wine and have some pasta? Is fruit gonna be an enemy? Can I have a sandwich on occasion without fearing obesity? Yes I'm smarter now, I make better choices, but I want to be able to eat a salad with actual ranch on it (I hate WF products so far).

wildirishrose
04-06-2014, 12:28 AM
I wonder about the same thing. I was just thinking about it today as I get closer to my goal. I want to be able to return to a "all things in moderation" lifestyle. I am torn because I'm not one who's always been heavy, I know how I got there and it wasn't a life of poor eating it was pregnancy, bed rest, depression and poor eating during that time that got me there. I was far from a carb junkie, other than fruit and wine lol, I'm not really a sweets eater other than during TOM. I just want to be sure I can return to some of my favorite things. Everyone says "remember that will be there when you're done with IP" which helps get me through a lot of things, but the question is WILL IT? Will I really be able to eat like other people ever again? I don't want to mess up my hard work so the thought ways on me a lot, what's going to happen when I drink some wine and have some pasta? Is fruit gonna be an enemy? Can I have a sandwich on occasion without fearing obesity? Yes I'm smarter now, I make better choices, but I want to be able to eat a salad with actual ranch on it (I hate WF products so far).

No joke! WF products are terrible! I have a sweet tooth, but I'm okay with moderating it. But I do love carbs. Will I want to eat all carbs in one day? Probably not, but is also don't want to be so restrictive!!

Rubygirl
04-06-2014, 12:40 AM

AWESOME!!!:cb:

Rubygirl
04-06-2014, 12:42 AM
I only have one pair of capris so I was out today and got another pair. I still cannot get used to picking size 3's and 5's off the rack.

I want that!!!!! Reading your post makes me motivated!

JSorrell
04-06-2014, 01:24 AM

I can't wait until that day comes around. Congrats on your good health!

Fearciuil
04-06-2014, 02:44 AM
Holy cow! I had the chicken a la king packet for the first time today, and after 4 1/2 weeks with no sugar, the corn and peas in that thing were SWEET! :eek:

TurtleMom
04-06-2014, 08:37 AM

I frequently wonder what food life will be like at P4. I'm thinking that my taste buds will have changed enough that many of the treats I used to enjoy will be too sweet. I'm also hoping that I won't be so carb-intolerant that having pasta with my family will cause me to balloon up. I know I'm looking forward to ditching WF products and the highly processed packets! My daughter is certainly ready for me to be finished with my restricted eating :p

TurtleMom
04-06-2014, 08:39 AM
So many good losses & NSVs this weekend -it is making my head :spin: Kudos to all!

drd1961
04-06-2014, 09:40 AM
I frequently wonder what food life will be like at P4. I'm thinking that my taste buds will have changed enough that many of the treats I used to enjoy will be too sweet. I'm also hoping that I won't be so carb-intolerant that having pasta with my family will cause me to balloon up. I know I'm looking forward to ditching WF products and the highly processed packets! My daughter is certainly ready for me to be finished with my restricted eating :p

So far for me it is a practice of healthy eating most of the time and once in awhile a treat. I don't usually have the grain at breakfast because I simply do not need it. Sometimes I have a carb at dinner sometimes not. I have added the fat at lunch in the form of a little bit of cheese on my diet. I am more liberal with my veggies because veggies did not make me fat. My cheat day is more like a treat day where I just have something I normally would not have had. So far my weight is steady going into week 3.

ReenHag
04-06-2014, 10:16 AM

Maintenance is the rest of your life, and it will definitely require a mindset of "all things in moderation". You may find that some of the things you think you miss really aren't as good as you remember them; other things you may be able to transform a bit into healthier versions. Everything WILL be there after IP, but the way we look at them and fit them into our diets will be a lot different. It needs to be, or we will end up right back where we started. I think the Weight Watchers mindset is a decent one for maintenance- you can have a bit of anything, but you have to plan for it. I think Lisa has said something along the lines of, "You can have whatever you want, but not as much as you want whenever you want." There will be choices.

Amber, you mentioned being able to eat like "other people" eat. Interesting. I know my body doesn't process food like some of my skinny friends do, so I know I cannot eat like them. I am also not willing to spend an hour on the treadmill every morning like some of them do. So no, I will never eat/ drink like they do. And some of my other friends, well, to be honest, they look like I used to. I am PROUD to be developing a more healthy and realistic relationship with food, which is something I do not see often from others around me. Yes, I have had moments I am not proud of, but I got past them and moved on. I think my life in Maintenance will be like a P2-P3 lifestyle, although I cannot do the huge breakfasts every day like in P3. I will looko forward to and enjoy my fun days/ fun meals, and then do my P1 day the next day to keep everything in balance.

This plan is for life, and we can do it!

Renee

IP43
04-06-2014, 10:24 AM

I started eliminating the restricted on days I eat out. I just figure probably SOMETHING will slip in no matter how diligent I am. Elminating the restricted creates what I consider to be "room for error" with something I may have forgotten to mention when ordering (or some "hidden" IP cheat I didn't even know about).

Balsamic vinegar is the one to be "scared" of. People like it because it has a high sugar content.

As far as one thing looking better than an allowed thing, I've taken this attitude: The plan works. The more I question the rules, the harder I eventually make it on myself.

The sugar is a big no-no for sure. However another point I did not realize about this diet at first is that it really is a "scientific formula" that has been well thought out. One reason some foods are restricted is also due to the acid in them. Caffeine, artificial sweeteners, diet pops (which have BOTH those in them on top of it...) all are very acidic. When the Ph in your body gets out of whack, it is the #1 priority of your body to "balance". One way to balance acid is to reabsorb calcium from your bones, for example, which can lead to osteoporosis etc. When I realized THAT part, I no longer questioned why I shouldn't have the 0/0/0 diet pops. As you learn more and more about the diet, things will make sense as to why they are restricted. At the beginning, just "go with the program" because there really are reasons for everything :)

IP43
04-06-2014, 10:45 AM

Oh if I could only give one piece of advice.... your "after" plan is really important. If you don't phase off properly and just go back to eating pizza, chips, cake... the weight will come right back. (Experience speaking here -- I'm back for round 2 now). This diet works well BUT you need to think of how you plan to eat/live when you phase off. A good quote to remember:

"If you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got."

Ruth Ann
04-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Great thoughts on maintenance! As I'm phasing off I'm doing a lot of thinking about how to eat for the rest of my life. I have this little voice in the back of my mind that keeps saying "you're going to gain it all back." I've decided instead of just ignoring that little voice, I'm going to embrace it to help keep me in check.

I'm not planning on letting fear of gaining run my life but, at the same time, a little concern can be an excellent way to help me regulate myself. I never want to go back to where I was and I am positive I can continue to control my weight but knowing how out of control my eating was and where it got me, that little reminder can be really healthy for my mindset I think.

65X65
04-06-2014, 11:09 AM

Anyone who has doubts about how they want to live the rest of their life should definitely spend time reading the maintainers threads. There you will find perspective from those who are maintaining...and those who have had to go round on this more than once as well as newbie maintainers...

There appears to be a metabolic difference as well for people who have a small amount of weight they want to lose by bathing suit season ( not an insignificant goal...!)compared to the challenges someone who is truly classified as obese, and has been overweight for a long time will face even after losing and reaching goal. Defining what your future life is going to look like after IP depends on those factors...plus where your head is on taking the weight off permanently and what level of health you hope to achieve. The end game in this will be all about your honest answers to those questions, and setting a plan in place. Simple answer: Some people will be able to eat pizza again...some are probably better off not. And the metabolic and mental components of that are equal.

Good luck newbies...there is a lot more to this than using protein meal replacements for a time period that allows you to reach your desired weight. :bravo: There is a really great life on the other side...but this is not over when you manage to reach any weight loss goal you or your Dr. has set. That is only the first thing you need to do.

mars735
04-06-2014, 11:12 AM
I've been bingeing on weight loss books, lol. Something that's helping me is from Secrets of a Former Fat Girl by Lisa Delaney, who has maintained her weight loss for over 20 yrs. She talks about embracing change. We tend to shy away from the unfamiliar, at least I do. It's natural to want to maintain our sense of equilibrium with the familiar. Maintenance in a new body shape and WOE is ALL about the unfamiliar. I experience a longing for the safety & familiarity of P1, and sometimes have welcomed the old cravings as old friends. But they aren't friends!

Delaney suggests getting used to feeling different by making small changes each day or week, just to gain some sense of comfort with change itself. Trivial things like changing the bathroom stall you usually use at work, change for the sake of change. Since reading that, I've begun to notice my reactions more, and become more open to things that are different. It's kinda fun!

Hiker88
04-06-2014, 11:21 AM
65 & Mars well said! For me personally I know I will always have to be aware of my eating. I lost 60 lbs five years ago and gained it back. A person slips back into old patterns... with me I actually eat fairly healthy and love exercise but when my energy is low I tend to grab processed food because I don't feel like cooking. Then there are the days I'm tired, lonely or depressed and chocolate has been my drug of choice... I need to find different coping mechanisms this time around and being on Phase one helps me work on these... One of my strategies is going to be plan, plan, plan!! That means having fresh groceries in the fridge and getting a lot of cooking done on the weekendsl This is something that I have been thinking a lot about and have to admit I'm a little nervous but for now I will focus on the last 21 lbs and continue to lurk on the maintenance thread.

mars735
04-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Do keep lurking, Hiker! I think you're spot on about keeping your refrig well-stocked and planning. Everything you wrote applies to me, incl previous regains.

We can get derailed by our drive to perfection. When OP, I skimp on the things I love, like certain kinds of tofu, butternut squash, apples. In the busyness of the week, I often let the refrigerator go bare (I hate to waste veggies so never overbuy). That sets me up for feeling deprived and going off plan, sometimes in a major way. I've lately made it a priority to keep my refrigerator stocked with healthy treats that I enjoy. Success in maintenance is not about feeling deprived, rather allowing ourselves to enjoy a new way of feeling nourished in body & mind.

65X65
04-06-2014, 11:35 AM
65 & Mars well said! For me personally I know I will always have to be aware of my eating. I lost 60 lbs five years ago and gained it back. A person slips back into old patterns... with me I actually eat fairly healthy and love exercise but when my energy is low I tend to grab processed food because I don't feel like cooking. Then there are the days I'm tired, lonely or depressed and chocolate has been my drug of choice... I need to find different coping mechanisms this time around and being on Phase one helps me work on these... One of my strategies is going to be plan, plan, plan!! That means having fresh groceries in the fridge and getting a lot of cooking done on the weekendsl This is something that I have been thinking a lot about and have to admit I'm a little nervous but for now I will focus on the last 21 lbs and continue to lurk on the maintenance thread.

You will do fine...just look where your head is now...the body will have no choice but to follow!!!

Hiker88
04-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Do keep lurking, Hiker! I think you're spot on about keeping your refrig well-stocked and planning. Everything you wrote applies to me, incl previous regains.

We can get derailed by our drive to perfection. When OP, I skimp on the things I love, like certain kinds of tofu, butternut squash, apples. In the busyness of the week, I often let the refrigerator go bare (I hate to waste veggies so never overbuy). That sets me up for feeling deprived and going off plan, sometimes in a major way. I've lately made it a priority to keep my refrigerator stocked with healthy treats that I enjoy. Success in maintenance is not about feeling deprived, rather allowing ourselves to enjoy a new way of feeling nourished in body & mind.

You will do fine...just look where your head is now...the body will have no choice but to follow!!!

Thanks!! I feel better already! :):)

TurtleMom
04-06-2014, 11:59 AM
I've been indulging in health/fitness books lately too! Right now I'm partway thru Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. The first part is all about the mental training needed to get to where you want to go body-wise. The brain is such an important aspect, and I know I tend to under utilize it! We are what we think about, so it's time to put some more productive thoughts in my head. Really good info about positive thinking and the importance of setting goals. I'm really enjoying it, and I can see this shaping how my life P4 will look like.

Also, I am wearing my "mini-goal" jeans today! Tomorrow, I will be debuting some new, SMALLER clothing to work. Now I'm off to begin my list of goals. Life is good, my friends. :D

Pukka8
04-06-2014, 12:01 PM
...I was messing around on Pinterest last night to see if I could find a recipe to make my own quest bars (you can) but what I was even more excited to find is that there are a bunch of recipes for hacking Quest bars into things like cinnamon buns, cookies, etc

Can't wait to try!!!

Slipfree
04-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Love this conversation! The biggest change in my life is cooking every night. I used to view this as such a chore. After 6 months on IP, I have realized that my cooking is so much better than the quick, pick up on the way home, processed food.

In all the diets I have been on- I have never embraced the preparation component. Preparing healthy food has been key to changing my mindset. I only have two repeat meals, otherwise I try new recipes or make up new combos. I need variety on a regular basis. Spices are my new friends. New veggies help too. I love roasted fennel.

I have thought a lot about maintenance. Coach set May 17 as the beginning of phasing off. He said that it takes 28 days. Time to prepare and read, read, read.

65X65
04-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Amber...my take is you are someone who should go slow at first...the fact that you GOT heavy and how...may not be as clear to you at the moment as it will be later on. Test the waters carefully...there is no rush. And what you learn about your metabolism may need some time to sink in as you design your maintenance for life.

Keep in mind...the reality...
Your maintenance SHOULD look like ---
NO ONE ELSES...!!!

schenectady
04-06-2014, 12:31 PM
I do step on the scale everyday. It's not always a good practice but my scale (Withings) transmits a digital graph to my iPhone. Though it shows a steady progression over time in a downward trend over time, it also shows how up and down bumps and stalls are part of the journey. Just the way it is.

If you can step on the scale and still remember the big picture, then the particular number is not so distressing... But that can be hard (in my experience at times...not always so up to rising up for the big picture!)

xoxo

Annik - It has taken me a long time to be able to deal reasonably with the issue of daily weighing, or not. For me in the beginning, I would get frustrated or upset when the scale did not reflect what I thought it should (or wanted?)?

I now do weigh every day for just information and to keep me honest. I have discovered that stepping on the scale every day is a way to remind me as I start my day that I have an important task. Think and reflect before eating.

The weight on the scale is only one thing that lets me know how I am doing and I add it to how I feel, how my clothes feel, how much energy I have, etc.

I refuse to allow what I see on the scale to take away any of my precious thoughts and plans! Sometimes it is even a good kick in the you-know-what!

TurtleMom
04-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Love this conversation! The biggest change in my life is cooking every night. I used to view this as such a chore. After 6 months on IP, I have realized that my cooking is so much better than the quick, pick up on the way home, processed food.

In all the diets I have been on- I have never embraced the preparation component. Preparing healthy food has been key to changing my mindset. I only have two repeat meals, otherwise I try new recipes or make up new combos. I need variety on a regular basis. Spices are my new friends. New veggies help too. I love roasted fennel.

I have thought a lot about maintenance. Coach set May 17 as the beginning of phasing off. He said that it takes 28 days. Time to prepare and read, read, read.

Cooking every night has been a big change for me too! Before IP, I hardly had the energy to cook anything after working all day, let alone the healthy-mostly-from-scratch cooking I do now! I can see now how the lack of water & poor food choices affect my energy levels. And it has been a real eye-opener to see just how much sugar has invaded our foods. I even found sugar in pre-made turkey burgers! More incentive to keep up the good cooking during maintenance. I have been enjoying the challenge of how to meet my taste buds' wishes with the foods we are allowed to have.

How exciting that you'll be phasing off soon! I'll be phasing off right behind you as I've already decided to not do IP over the summer. Whether I have met my "goal" or not, I will be in much better shape come June 1 than when I started :)

65X65
04-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Annik - It has taken me a long time to be able to deal reasonably with the issue of daily weighing, or not. For me in the beginning, I would get frustrated or upset when the scale did not reflect what I thought it should (or wanted?)?

I now do weigh every day for just information and to keep me honest. I have discovered that stepping on the scale every day is a way to remind me as I start my day that I have an important task. Think and reflect before eating.

The weight on the scale is only one thing that lets me know how I am doing and I add it to how I feel, how my clothes feel, how much energy I have, etc.

I refuse to allow what I see on the scale to take away any of my precious thoughts and plans! Sometimes it is even a good kick in the you-know-what!

Like-like-like
Wise words...demonstrate maturity and realism in approaching a lifelong task...by breaking it up into small bits. It becomes manageable.

MarylandMom
04-06-2014, 01:06 PM
I have been having a glass of Waist Watchers Vanilla Creme soda with dinner...it's such a treat after drinking water all day! I'm hoping it's OP. It has 0 sugar, 0 carbs, 0 caffeine, and 0 sodium. It is sweetened with Splenda. So good!

Annik
04-06-2014, 01:10 PM

Good for you Shenectady! That's how I look at it, too. When I stop daily weighing, I start to drift.

Yet I understand completely why some people don't do it. If you go at it with a particular frame of mind, it can seem like 'defeating' information.

I try to look at the information as 'data' -- scientific data-- that I don't get emotionally involved with.

The graph -- with all it's bumps-- is the scientific evidence that weight loss is not strictly linear. So as long as I am sticking to plan, the bumps are ok...and 'normal'.

Sidebar: I have drifted from daily recording of my food choices. Someone was writing about My Fitness Pal. I am inspired to follow up. The recording helps keep me on track and honest. (I have a mind with a mind of its own! The recording helps me prevent playing games against the programme...and keeps me honest. Thank goodness for modern technology...this tracking detail is so much easier!)

xo :val1:

ChipnDip
04-06-2014, 01:29 PM
I am a total bear today. :mad: I even yelled at the beeping microwave! Might have been hunger although I ate breakfast late. TOM is here for the third time in 2 months. I used to get it every three months. Just had a huge salad and finishing my soup. Hoping the calm will come over me soon for the families sake. Doesn't help that this week is my most stressful work week of the year and my house is a mess.

Slipfree
04-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Cooking every night has been a big change for me too! Before IP, I hardly had the energy to cook anything after working all day, let alone the healthy-mostly-from-scratch cooking I do now! I can see now how the lack of water & poor food choices affect my energy levels. And it has been a real eye-opener to see just how much sugar has invaded our foods. I even found sugar in pre-made turkey burgers! More incentive to keep up the good cooking during maintenance. I have been enjoying the challenge of how to meet my taste buds' wishes with the foods we are allowed to have.

How exciting that you'll be phasing off soon! I'll be phasing off right behind you as I've already decided to not do IP over the summer. Whether I have met my "goal" or not, I will be in much better shape come June 1 than when I started :)

My original goal was 175, now I am shooting for 160. I want to be able to wear all size 10s comfortably. I am off for the summer, much more active and I will be able get a real handle on maintenance before school starts again in Sept. Summers are much less stress for me. Planning on joining a gym too. I have an added incentive to hit goal and maintain- two family weddings in the next year. One wedding in the fall and the other next August. I am determined not to be the fat aunt in those pictures.

You are so right about water and food choices equaling energy. I used to be exhausted. I have found that I like cooking, so it is here to stay. Plus, believe it or not, even on IP- I am saving $$. Not stopping for pizza or DD coffee add up to savings.

IP43
04-06-2014, 01:50 PM
CHipnDip: GREAT NEWS! It's WORKING! The fact that you have extra estrogen floating around means that it's coming out of the fat stored in your waist area -- belly fat has a lot of estrogen.

So, EMBRACE THE BEAR!

Annik
04-06-2014, 01:53 PM
i just reread a couple of my posts that i produced with one pecking finger on the screen keyboard while in bed with my ipad... good grief... that autocorrect gets some doozies going. Must be more attentive to spelling... I am going to look for a way to turn off the auto correct.

I am better at typing when I am actually typing ... not pecking with a finger!

sorry about the poor delivery~ i'll get it going the right way!

lisa32989
04-06-2014, 02:08 PM
i just reread a couple of my posts that i produced with one pecking finger on the screen keyboard while in bed with my ipad... good grief... that autocorrect gets some doozies going. Must be more attentive to spelling... I am going to look for a way to turn off the auto correct.

Ha! Annik
It bugs me when I review things I have fat-fingered on a small keyboard as well. I'm on the computer right now so hopefully my typos will be a minimum.

I have 3 college degrees (BA and 2 advanced) and it is embarrassing to me when I do not represent myself well in writing, having written 2 extensive research papers.

I've learned to re-read the gibberish the phone and tablet sometimes produce and correct before hitting send (or shortly thereafter). However sometimes when I'm tired or have just awakened, it does not always happen.:book2: :comp: :write:

Annik
04-06-2014, 02:15 PM
it's embarrassing for me, too.
i pledge to re-read more carefully and 'self-correct'!

smallerin2014
04-06-2014, 03:11 PM

Monday will be 8 weeks for me on IP as well. I have thought about the same topic. I think there will be lots of foods that I will be able to eat in moderation again. However, there are a few foods that are trigger foods for me- rather than leaving me satisfied they make my brain think, "More!" Just like many former alcoholics or smokers can't have just one, for me there are a few foods that might be in that category.

smallerin2014
04-06-2014, 03:20 PM
I am almost 8 weeks into IP. I went to social gatherings two times over the weekend. It was rewarding that people noticed that I had lost weight. That helped me to stay 100% OP and pass up the cheeses, cakes and other goodies that I would have been helping myself to before IP. I had a wonderful time with friends and left happy that no calories were involved :)

lisa32989
04-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Love love love the conversation re: looking forward.

My mindset is that I won't be able to eat like everyone else b/c I didn't! I ate too much and got myself into a mess.

My thoughts on everyone else is that I'm comparing what they may eat occasionally to what I think is done all the time. A thin person may eat xyz at a bar with friends but will probably balance that with less calorie-dense foods at other times. I was also in the habit of eating whatever I desired whenever I desired it. I'm pretty sure my thinner friends practice more restraint when home alone than I did.

Today I just planted my lettuce and spinach in the garden. It may be a tad late for where I live, however the winter was a doozy and I didn't want to go too early. There is a pretty short window for lettuce and spinach in STL. It tends to get hot quickly. Hoping I can at least keep it going thru Memorial Day & I'll get my warmer-weather veggies planted when I'm sure the weather has warmed-up!

Annik
04-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Monday will be 8 weeks for me on IP as well. I have thought about the same topic. I think there will be lots of foods that I will be able to eat in moderation again. However, there are a few foods that are trigger foods for me- rather than leaving me satisfied they make my brain think, "More!" Just like many former alcoholics or smokers can't have just one, for me there are a few foods that might be in that category.

I call it 'the great divorce.'

There are some foods for which I have no 'red light'. I just can't have 'one' and therefore cannot have them around at all.

My 'sobriety' is too valuable to me. Fleeting pleasure v good health? There's no contest when I am in my right mind. Therefore, some foods -- cheese, popcorn, bread, potatoes -- just will not be part of my life ever again.

You are right smallerin2014: they are trigger foods for me. Rather than leaving me satisfied, them make my brain think, 'More!'

I do liken my journey to that of an alcoholic.

On my last journey to Europe, I had more than a foot left over on the plane's lapbelt. Last March 2013, I was wedging myself into the seat and I had to ask for a lapbelt extender. The plane was full. A guy was scheduled to sit next me. He took one look at me in the seat next to him and asked the flight attendant if there were any open seats anywhere in the plane. She immediately obliged. I tried not to pay attention but it was humiliating.

The sense of relief I had this time around -- ease of mobility, I could fit, the lapbelt had room for me and more -- wow. Wouldn't trade that for any food any day!

Annik

lisa32989
04-06-2014, 03:30 PM
I call it 'the great divorce.'

There are some foods for which I have no 'red light'. I just can't have 'one' and therefore cannot have them around at all.

My 'sobriety' is too valuable to me. Fleeting pleasure v good health? There's no contest when I am in my right mind. Therefore, some foods -- cheese, popcorn, bread, potatoes -- just will not be part of my life ever again.

You are right smallerin2014: they are trigger foods for me. Rather than leaving me satisfied, them make my brain think, 'More!'

I do liken my journey to that of an alcoholic.

On my last journey to Europe, I had more than a foot left over on the plane's lapbelt. Last March 2013, I was wedging myself into the seat and I had to ask for a lapbelt extender. The plane was full. A guy was scheduled to sit next me. He took one look at me in the seat next to him and asked the flight attendant if there were any open seats anywhere in the plane. She immediately obliged. I tried not to pay attention but it was humiliating.

The sense of relief I had this time around -- ease of mobility, I could fit, the lapbelt had room for me and more -- wow. Wouldn't trade that for any food any day!
I, too, liken my journey to that of an alcoholic.
There are things I just can't start on b/c they lead me down a rose-colored-glasses path that is in no way good for me.

I can SO.MUCH relate to the airplane story. I even took a picture of excess belt, after having been one who needed an extender
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8246/8603846584_e10578b73d_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/e7hXQu)

Saturday nite I went to a concert with DH and another couple. They are bigger people and overflowed their chairs. I fit comfortably in mine. I sure noticed! And I plan to stay this way

Annik
04-06-2014, 03:44 PM
:val1:yay, Lisa!

That's fabulous!

That lapbelt photo is one worth framing!

xoxo:hug:

65X65
04-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Love all of this... "The Great Divorce..."

Incredible experience here...but the ability to size up the problem into a pretty a clear phrase!! Pure genius .... and so great to share these tidbits...

We need an anthology of these just right phrases!!! Some are to use when we are put on the spot...some we should remember to use on ourselves...but mostly ....they are good words to live by.

Fearciuil
04-06-2014, 04:23 PM

If you haven't found it yet: Settings --> General --> Keyboard --> Auto-Correction

I had to turn it off on my iPad, too, though I've left it on on the iPhone. I don't type often on the phone, and it seemed like I'd need if with the itty-bitty "keys"!

Annik
04-06-2014, 04:26 PM
If you haven't found it yet: Settings --> General --> Keyboard --> Auto-Correction

I had to turn it off on my iPad, too, though I've left it on on the iPhone. I don't type often on the phone, and it seemed like I'd need if with the itty-bitty "keys"!

Thank you, thank you!!!

IP43
04-06-2014, 05:17 PM

I just saw a posting on facebook recently where someone shared all the "oops" texts of moms who are new to texting to their kids. A lot of them were the "autocorrect" errors and were quite hilarious. Some were just a general lack of knowledge. One girl kept saying "Mom! Why do you keep saying 'WTF' to me?" -- and the mom's innocent reply "Doesn't it mean "Well That's Fantastic!"? ...

We have lots of "acronmys" here as well. I usually figure them out but sometimes I laugh at what my brain fills in until I get the letters sorted out. Just don't ask my "DH" what "WF", "TOM", "OP", etc are. He'd be totally :shrug:

ChipnDip
04-06-2014, 05:21 PM

We must all be on the same wave length. I keep thinking what will be ny first funday foods once I reach goal! I do realize that I can't go back to "everything in moderation" as I day of treats turns into two and before I know it I am eating fast food lunches with full dinners and the lbs will return. I'm not one of those people who gained 10 pounds a year. I can manage ten pounds a month easily!

IP43
04-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Oh Lisa -- just looked at your ticker! 15 lbs to go! Wooot wooot!! I remember when we were close to the same weight. I bow to you.:encore:
And to myself :kickbutt: But the main thing is, I'm back and re-motivated. Must be something about bathing suit season being on the way :sunny:

P.S. Enjoy your gardening. I'm still shovelling snow off my deck!

lisa32989
04-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Oh Lisa -- just looked at your ticker! 15 lbs to go! Wooot wooot!! I remember when we were close to the same weight. I bow to you.:encore:
And to myself :kickbutt: But the main thing is, I'm back and re-motivated. Must be something about bathing suit season being on the way :sunny:

P.S. Enjoy your gardening. I'm still shovelling snow off my deck!
IP43:hug:
I'm so glad you are back!
I've been plateaued for quite some time. But you are absolutely right. I haven't gained.

This WL stuff is hard work. I lost 100 and regained once in my life and I'm bound and determined not to do that to myself again. That's why I continue to hang out here. Some of the plateau was self-imposed on maintenance. Other people's losses continue to motivate me & give me hope while I've addressed some health issues presumably contributing to my holding pattern.

I'm sure you've seen this.
One of our maintainers posted it.

Being overweight is hard
Losing weight is hard
Maintenance is hard
Pick your hard.

Stick around! You can and will do it! I learned a long time ago we can't "beat ourselves up" into anything positive.

Hiker88
04-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Love love love the conversation re: looking forward.

My mindset is that I won't be able to eat like everyone else b/c I didn't! I ate too much and got myself into a mess.

My thoughts on everyone else is that I'm comparing what they may eat occasionally to what I think is done all the time. A thin person may eat xyz at a bar with friends but will probably balance that with less calorie-dense foods at other times. I was also in the habit of eating whatever I desired whenever I desired it. I'm pretty sure my thinner friends practice more restraint when home alone than I did.

Yes Lisa!! Totally agree with this! We see thin people eat fattening foods at a social gathering and think they've been blessed with a fast metabolism when in reality they don't go home and KEEP eating that food. They leave it alone until the next special occasion.

Hiker88
04-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Annik, 'the great divorce' 'alcoholic'.... it all applies!! Great words to describe the process we are going through.

AmberLS
04-06-2014, 06:32 PM
This has been one of the best weekend chat's ever. I'm so glad to know that so many other people think a lot about their future eating habits after IP.. it brings me stress to think I will ever be over weight again. I like that everyone has a little different take. I too have my own story, a little different. I keep thinking about 6 years being overweight/obese... at this point it's a little more than 1/5th of my life and honestly I have learned things and gained perspective. I no that soda will never be part of my life again, I doubt that I will have bread very often as I didn't really before, and I will probably need to avoid anything gummy (ie gummy bears, gummy worms, gummy cherries, etc). I want to be healthy I want to maintain a healthy weight, and I want to enjoy life, it will be work and I like what Lisa said, being overweight is hard, losing weight is hard, maintaining weight is hard, so pick your hard :)

mgarner
04-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Well today is Day 1 of IP (alternatives) for me. I've been lurking for a while.

10 years ago, I went from 460+ to 235 (6'4", male) on Medifast, and maintained for about seven years until I lost control due to a number of different factors.

Now I've gained a little over half my weight back (365), and have tried every diet under the sun, none of which I've been very successful with for more than a couple of months.

So it's time to go back to what works. IP and Medifast are very similar programs but I am choosing IP due to alternatives being easier, and the amount of support that it has here.

Doing it with Premier Protein shakes (RTD) from Costco, and Quest bars (restricted). I don't mind a lack of variety, when I was on medifast I had 5 of their cappucinos per day, every day, for months.

I'm taking an extra meal replacement for now, so 3 unrestricted (PP shakes), 1 restricted (quest bar), the salad greens, and 1 lean and green meal. I've seen an extra meal replacement recommended for some people, and I figure it will help me ease into the program, and help with hunger and wanting to cheat. After a few weeks I will probably go down to the regular 3 meal replacements per day.

Annik
04-06-2014, 07:37 PM
mgarner,

rooting for you! you've come to a good place!

ReenHag
04-06-2014, 08:17 PM

The weight on the scale is only one thing that lets me know how I am doing and I add it to how I feel, how my clothes feel, how much energy I have, etc.!

After being on this program since last August, more or less, I think I will be one who needs that daily WI during maintenance. As you said, it will "keep me honest". I am of the mindset now that it is data, and those numbers will let me know if i need to make a change in what I am doing.

10 years ago, I went from 460+ to 235 (6'4", male) on Medifast, and maintained for about seven years until I lost control due to a number of different factors.

Now I've gained a little over half my weight back (365), and have tried every diet under the sun, none of which I've been very successful with for more than a couple of months.

So it's time to go back to what works. IP and Medifast are very similar programs but I am choosing IP due to alternatives being easier, and the amount of support that it has here.

Doing it with Premier Protein shakes (RTD) from Costco, and Quest bars (restricted). I don't mind a lack of variety, when I was on medifast I had 5 of their cappucinos per day, every day, for months.

I'm taking an extra meal replacement for now, so 3 unrestricted (PP shakes), 1 restricted (quest bar), the salad greens, and 1 lean and green meal. I've seen an extra meal replacement recommended for some people, and I figure it will help me ease into the program, and help with hunger and wanting to cheat. After a few weeks I will probably go down to the regular 3 meal replacements per day.

Welcome! I have been doing IP with alternatives for a while. Best of luck on the program! You have found a place of great knowledge, experience, and support!

drd1961
04-06-2014, 08:33 PM
This has been one of the best weekend chat's ever. I'm so glad to know that so many other people think a lot about their future eating habits after IP.. it brings me stress to think I will ever be over weight again. I like that everyone has a little different take. I too have my own story, a little different. I keep thinking about 6 years being overweight/obese... at this point it's a little more than 1/5th of my life and honestly I have learned things and gained perspective. I no that soda will never be part of my life again, I doubt that I will have bread very often as I didn't really before, and I will probably need to avoid anything gummy (ie gummy bears, gummy worms, gummy cherries, etc). I want to be healthy I want to maintain a healthy weight, and I want to enjoy life, it will be work and I like what Lisa said, being overweight is hard, losing weight is hard, maintaining weight is hard, so pick your hard :)

I have battled my weight since age 12 and I am 52. I was fairly normal weight in my 20's, obese in my 30's, lost it and retained for a number of years in my 40's, but thyroid disease caught me and then I gave up for a while. We have to always fight because our world tells us we need to have all these unhealthy things.

trynagn
04-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Great words of wisdom from everyone! I guess that's why we stay here! Thanks to you all and have a good night.

Rubygirl
04-06-2014, 11:02 PM
AMBER I agree with you that this has been a very good read this weekend with so many insites into the life of maintaining. I have, like drd, been up and down my whole adult life and I just turned 59 today. I was thin as a teen then gained in 20's, then a bit more in my 30's, every diet worked and everytime I would regain the weight. In my 40's I did the "Bernstein" diet and lost a significant amount of weight but only kept it off for 2 days. Since then (11 yrs) I have been gaining every year. THIS IS GOING TO BE THE LAST!!! Thanks for all the support on this forum.

sweetharmony
04-06-2014, 11:09 PM
AMBER I agree with you that this has been a very good read this weekend with so many insites into the life of maintaining. I have, like drd, been up and down my whole adult life and I just turned 59 today. I was thin as a teen then gained in 20's, then a bit more in my 30's, every diet worked and everytime I would regain the weight. In my 40's I did the "Bernstein" diet and lost a significant amount of weight but only kept it off for 2 days. Since then (11 yrs) I have been gaining every year. THIS IS GOING TO BE THE LAST!!! Thanks for all the support on this forum.

Happy Birthday Rubygirl!!:celebrate:

JLUS
04-06-2014, 11:10 PM

:welcome:

Be sure to read the thread Alternative products that work for P1... You will find you can have TONS of variety (if you choose or when you are ready) by following the alternative nutrition guidelines to selecting IP compatible products. Check out Nashua Nutrition website (or others you will read about on that thread).

Also just to clarify (though I think you are clear) the lunch/dinner veggies can be anything listed on the P1 sheet (2 cups/2cups measured raw). Lettuce (iceberg, romain, Bibb, etc) do not count, so for salads you need the additional items (field greens, spinach, are not free - they are listed on the sheet as select veggies). Lots of people use the lettuce to help with hunger at first, but also keep eating it to avoid the Big C and to enhance losses!

Yes, you can have additional unrestricted packets... LISA , chime in here with that chart... I never have it handy. Specific weight increments mean adding another packet.

Glad to have you with us!!

lisa32989
04-06-2014, 11:12 PM
I keep that chart in my notes for quick reference

people use 3 packets (2 non-restricted, 1 restricted) per day.

In the IP clinic manual, it's listed this way:

201-240 pounds = 4 packets/day
241-280 pounds = 5 packets/day
281-320 pounds = 6 packets/day

Of course, still only 1 of those is restricted.

lisa32989
04-06-2014, 11:18 PM
Isn't it nice that we can add info to other people (and are sometimes asked for it)? This is how community works and for the most part it works extremely well!

I'm not sure what I would have done when I started IP if 3FC hadn't been here. I learned SO.MUCH from those who came before me. Everything I share is just from what I've learned from others (including some coaches here & my own coach, prior to firing her). I get almost daily thanks somewhere (threads, PMs). I'm glad it helps! I do it b/c I feel I need to pay it forward.

We are all here to learn together and to grow together and to get healthier together.

:grouphug:

We had company for the weekend and dined out a LOT.
I'm definitely retaining water. Been drinking a ton of it the last two days.
I just made potato/zucchini muffins for my lunches this week and just realized how bare the refrigerator is getting. I'll definitely be stopping at the grocery store on my way home from work tomorrow.
We're out of lettuce & fresh veggies (lets see, there is spinach and a rutabaga in there)
This will never do!

AmberLS
04-06-2014, 11:39 PM
Isn't it nice that we can add info to other people (and are sometimes asked for it)? This is how community works and for the most part it works extremely well!

I'm not sure what I would have done when I started IP if 3FC hadn't been here. I learned SO.MUCH from those who came before me. Everything I share is just from what I've learned from others (including some coaches here & my own coach, prior to firing her). I get almost daily thanks somewhere (threads, PMs). I'm glad it helps! I do it b/c I feel I need to pay it forward.

We are all here to learn together and to grow together and to get healthier together.

3FC has definitely been a supremely valuable tool! So glad that it exists, my coach would probably start avoiding my calls if this didn't exist! LOL:dizzy:

Mulse
04-07-2014, 12:09 AM
I keep that chart in my notes for quick reference

people use 3 packets (2 non-restricted, 1 restricted) per day.

In the IP clinic manual, it's listed this way:

201-240 pounds = 4 packets/day
241-280 pounds = 5 packets/day
281-320 pounds = 6 packets/day

Of course, still only 1 of those is restricted.

This is the first time I've seen this information. Interesting. I started at 317lbs, but only did 4 packets a day (3 NR and 1 R).

Should I increase my packets since I'm still above 280lbs now?

I'm doing alternatives without a coach. My calories have been between 800-1000 a day and my carbs at around 30 net.

Ruth Ann
04-07-2014, 12:11 AM

We had company for the weekend and dined out a LOT.
I'm definitely retaining water. Been drinking a ton of it the last two days.
I just made potato/zucchini muffins for my lunches this week and just realized how bare the refrigerator is getting. I'll definitely be stopping at the grocery store on my way home from work tomorrow.
We're out of lettuce & fresh veggies (lets see, there is spinach and a rutabaga in there)
This will never do!

I love this community - don't know how I would have done it without everyone.

AlaskaLadyie
04-07-2014, 03:13 AM
I am so Happy With who ever it was suggested the book Fit For Life I am reading ti and loving the information...........It is late I know I could go back through the thread and find the Great Person who Suggested the books but I gotta get to sleep SO....... From my Heart Thank you....nite all