Weight Loss News and Current Events - You might never eat corn again.

View Full Version : You might never eat corn again.

diamondgeog
04-03-2014, 08:47 PM
http://rt.com/usa/gmo-gluten-sensitivity-trigger-343/?utm_content=bufferbf5cc&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

Mind blowing. The impacts the genes in GMO corn and soy have on insects, they are having similar impacts on our cells.

When I gave up corn my back pain went away like that. Soy gives me headaches. Basically industry has turned them into real Fraken foods.

Corn is off our plate and I try to catch all HFCS.

IanG
04-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Ah, I lost most of my weight eating a little corn everyday. It did no harm. I finally ditched it to eat calories elsewhere but it's no big deal.

Corn versus chocolate/candy is a no-brainer.

Corn every time. Complex carbs.

If you want to make a real difference to your life, eat 5 portions of fish every day. Like I do...

diamondgeog
04-03-2014, 08:54 PM
That's fine Ian. At least in America it is 98% GMO. I don't want holes being punched in my cells I can tell you that.

Plus I don't care if it got me to 180 overnight. It causes me back pain. There isn't a food on the planet 10 times better than anything I have ever tasted that is worth that. And for sure that food isn't corn for me.

IanG
04-03-2014, 08:57 PM
All I ever got from corn was good taste and to see it come out whole the other end.

It was fantastic.

But I did give the calories up for fish in the end. Which gives me a better nutritional profile.

diamondgeog
04-03-2014, 09:09 PM
The article is about the GMO aspect of corn.

IanG
04-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Well, if GMOs allow us to grow more crops to feed people that can't get enough to eat at affordable prices then I am all for that.

I'd willingly pass a little wind via "gluten-related maladies including intestinal disorders".

Heck, I eat kimchi every day. I fart like a cow anyways.

nelie
04-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Most GMO corn and soy actually go towards feeding animals. I can't remember the numbers but it is something around 90% of GMO corn and soy are used in animal feed, very little actually get into the human consumption. A lot of it that does, makes it into processed products (cereals, snack cakes, etc, etc).

I don't eat a lot of corn because I just don't care for it much but once in a while, I'll have polenta or corn tortillas.

diamondgeog
04-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Virtually 100% of corn consumed in the US is GMO. 98% of the US corn crop is GMO. For livestock, humans, doesn't matter.

Lots of other ways to feed people. And if wealth and incomes were more equitable whole different story.

And we could have focused on Integrative Pest Management. But no profits for Monsanto that way. GMOs far from only way.

CindySunshine
04-03-2014, 10:26 PM
The sweet corn which we grow in our garden is utterly awesome!! It is the main course for weeks in the summer. With a garden tomato life is nearly complete.

nelie
04-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Actually, I found a stronger number that says 90% of the corn grown in the US is GMO. And that 10% mostly goes to human consumption although some of it used for 'organic' livestock. It is easy enough to avoid GMO corn if you want to (and eat limited processed products).

In terms of corn grown in the US, here is a good summary of where it goes:
"Although U.S. corn is a highly productive crop, with typical yields between 140 and 160 bushels per acre, the resulting delivery of food by the corn system is far lower. Today’s corn crop is mainly used for biofuels (roughly 40 percent of U.S. corn is used for ethanol) and as animal feed (roughly 36 percent of U.S. corn, plus distillers grains left over from ethanol production, is fed to cattle, pigs and chickens). Much of the rest is exported. Only a tiny fraction of the national corn crop is directly used for food for Americans, much of that for high-fructose corn syrup."
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/time-to-rethink-corn/

diamondgeog
04-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Thanks. Finding wide variations. But your stats are better. Still scary stuff.

canadjineh
04-04-2014, 12:07 AM
Many countries around the world do not allow imports of US corn due to GMO's. Interesting film from back in 2005: "The Future of Food" an Alliance Film.
Did you know that before 1980 no GMO corn was grown in the US except in some test plots?

I buy grass fed meats raised locally (our grocery stores are good about this) and organic vegetables, fruits and products wherever possible. I never buy dairy products from the US as the farmers are allowed to use bovine growth hormone to increase production.

In case you didn't know, genetically modified organism genes can only be 'created' by splicing in viruses or bacteria, otherwise the gene would reject the new DNA material. Scientists are supposed to be making sure that these bacteria & viruses are safe for us, but can that be proved? :barf:

GMO corn cannot be used as feed for organic livestock.
Quote" 4. How Can I Avoid GM Foods?

Our (Canadian) government does not require labeling. But you can still make a choice:

Eating certified organic food is one way you can avoid GM food because GM is prohibited in organic farming. This includes organic dairy, eggs and meat because animals in organic farming are not fed GM grains like corn or soy."

http://www.cban.ca/Resources/Tools/Consumer-Guides/GM-Food-Chart-Postcard-2013
You can download a card for your fridge to know what is GMO'd and what is not in Canada.

University of Kentucky - Center for Crop Diversification, College of Agriculture
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CCD/introsheets/organicfieldcorn.pdf
"Organic feed grain markets may be easier to
identify and more accessible than those for
organic food corn. In addition, the quality
specifications for animal
feed are less stringent than
for corn destined for human
consumption. Maintaining a
quality crop from beginning
of production through market is of the utmost
importance in food corn. Growers new to organic
farming may find organic feed production is less
exacting and perhaps less risky than food corn
production. It is important to note, however,
that maintaining the integrity of organic corn
‘from-seed-to-market’ is critical regardless of the
intended end use."

nelie
04-04-2014, 12:21 AM
Actually it isn't bacterias/viruses that are spliced, at least not harmful bacteria but they are used due to their simple form of DNA and DNA replication. It is a bit complicated to explain but prokaryotic cells are used (and bacteria are a form of prokaryotes, not viruses). Eukaryotes (most non-microscopic life forms) have a lot of junk in their DNA, a large part of which does absolutely nothing. Prokaryotes are much simple and don't have this junk so they are used in gene splicing. Using prokaryotes, scientists are able to insert DNA and have that DNA replicated due to the simplicity of their DNA. The only DNA that is spliced into food products is the specific section created, none of the host DNA is spliced in.

GMO has a lot of potential uses and I think it would be interesting to see more research done beyond what Monsanto has done. In the US, we simply need more diversity of crops back but in other countries where food scarcity is a real issue, GMO crops could be useful.

diamondgeog
04-04-2014, 08:18 AM
It's truly Pandora's box. According to the article they do the same thing to your cells as insect cells. One result being gluten impacts more people more severely. And Monsanto spends millions each year buying politicians to prevent labeling laws.

The negative consequences for us, other species, and ecosystems are unknown. And this is not about feeding people. It is about profits for a few.

I don't eat corn because I feel grains are harmful anyway even non GMO. But add the back pain and GMO, no way I'd eat it now. Actually helps me. Have to be extra vilignant against HFCS.

nelie
04-04-2014, 08:42 AM
I would say this article isn't really that great in terms of providing research. I would say that it would be interesting to see if the actual research backs it up. You do have to take things with a grain of salt from organizations that their entire purpose is to be anti-gmo.

And I'm not saying "let's get Monsanto into regions with food scarcity!", I'm saying that GMO is more than what Monsanto has done to the US and Canada. GMO has a lot of good potential applications but all we see are patents and round-up ready in the US/Canada.

canadjineh
04-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Actually it isn't bacterias/viruses that are spliced, at least not harmful bacteria but they are used due to their simple form of DNA and DNA replication. It is a bit complicated to explain but prokaryotic cells are used (and bacteria are a form of prokaryotes, not viruses). Eukaryotes (most non-microscopic life forms) have a lot of junk in their DNA, a large part of which does absolutely nothing. Prokaryotes are much simple and don't have this junk so they are used in gene splicing. Using prokaryotes, scientists are able to insert DNA and have that DNA replicated due to the simplicity of their DNA. The only DNA that is spliced into food products is the specific section created, none of the host DNA is spliced in.

Quote" Layla Parker-Katiraee holds a PhD in Molecular Genetics from the University of Toronto and a Bachelors degree in biochemistry from the University of Western Ontario. She is currently a Senior Scientist in Product Development at a California biotech company. All views and opinions expressed are her own. "

Her article explaining how E. Coli is used for gene splicing - she works for a biotech co. so I'd probably take her word for the fact that bacteria IS used to splice genes.
http://www.biofortified.org/2014/03/e-coli-in-gmos/

I think it's funny that just because we don't know what certain protein chains in the DNA are used for we think it's junk; you know, like tonsils were junk not very many years ago... ;)

Locke
04-04-2014, 04:00 PM
GMO corn in the U.S. goes to ethanol and animal feed. It's really hard to find sweet corn that has tested positive for GMO proteins. I don't eat cheap processed foods regularly which are the real sources of GMO proteins in the human diet (and of course meat). So I won't be giving up eat fresh sweet corn this summer- yet.

Donna34747
04-04-2014, 08:29 PM
I've been trying to avoid GMOs all together, which wipes out pretty much all processed food, unless listed organic. I also follow the organic list on the dirty dozen vs. the clean 15. Other than that I sign every petition out there on labeling gmo foods. If they want to grow it, and use it, that's their business, but I have a right to know what's put in my body.

nelie
04-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Quote" Layla Parker-Katiraee holds a PhD in Molecular Genetics from the University of Toronto and a Bachelors degree in biochemistry from the University of Western Ontario. She is currently a Senior Scientist in Product Development at a California biotech company. All views and opinions expressed are her own. "

Her article explaining how E. Coli is used for gene splicing - she works for a biotech co. so I'd probably take her word for the fact that bacteria IS used to splice genes.
http://www.biofortified.org/2014/03/e-coli-in-gmos/

I think it's funny that just because we don't know what certain protein chains in the DNA are used for we think it's junk; you know, like tonsils were junk not very many years ago... ;)

E. Coil is used but it isn't the same E. coli that can harm humans. In terms of eukaryotic DNA, research has shown that DNA replication skips over genes and they aren't used. The skipping of genes is why splicing eukaryotic DNA is difficult.