100 lb. Club - Where's an excercise or walking thread

rochemist
07-17-2003, 01:14 PM
Okay here is my update.
Chris is fat as ever but lets celebrate some sucess today! I am not counting the 2 days I was ill and slept about 28 hours;)

8 days of a walking program I have walked 62,999 steps thats 7,874 steps a day (working up to my 10,000!) and I have traveled ~31.5 miles. Not bad for a fat girl. I also have done Pilates 2X and lifted 1X. Plan is to lift again tommorow. I think its the little things that get us back.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Miss Chris:cool:

suzie76
07-17-2003, 01:49 PM
Hi,

Glad to see you back, Miss Chris!

My workout was strength training today-Tamilee Webb I Want That Body Arms and I want that body Buns-I'm going to be so sore!

Yesterday I did a three mile (yahoo) walk away the pounds tape.

I can't remember what I did Tuesday..I'm brain dead today!

Sherry

mthrgoos68
07-17-2003, 02:36 PM
Miss Chris, So glad to see you back and glad you're feeling better. What an inspiration all that walking is!! Makes me feel guilty for just sitting here!! You're a step ahead of me because I absolutely cannot make it through my Pilates tape. I last about 5 minutes!! Keep up the great work!

Sherry, Those videos sound great! Do you like them? I've got to do something about my huge arms!! You're doing great work!

Today I did do my cardio, 20 minutes on the bike and 1 hour on the treadmill, but I wimped out on lifting weights. Should have done it, but didn't. Tomorrow for sure!!

looosingit
07-17-2003, 03:12 PM
Hello Miss Chris,

This quote of yours stuck a chord with me!

I believe excercise is a great elevator of heart and soul.

I believe that exercise has the power to change our mood! I keep using that as a motivating factor! :yes:

Congrats to you, Sherry, and mothergoose for the good workouts! Hoora! :cp:

I'm on my way to the gym after work today (went on Tuesday, too). I am trying to convince myself that a fat girl can jog. I would love to be able to do the "Terry Fox" run for cancer research in the Fall. I walk it every year...but would be so proud to be able to tell people who are sponsoring me that I ran it!! Beautiful dreamer - roll on! I am up to 30 minutes of hard core RUNNING on the elliptical. My plan is to lighten up a bit on the intensity and move to the treadmill next week. I'll let you know how that goes! :p

Keep moving all! Woohooo!!!!

Kris
261-188-155

suzie76
07-17-2003, 07:05 PM
Hi,

I remember-Tuesday's workout was Tamilee Webb's Weight Loss workout-it's intense!

I do like all her dvd's so far. I also have her set of aerobics workouts-Fit to the Hits Motown Moves and Rock hard Assets-two different workouts. My library actually had them, and I liked them so much I bought them on DVD. Best Buy had a set of them both for $24.00. (two dvd's) they have bonus strength workouts on them too. I'm sure it was mismarked, cause on Amazon the set is around $35.00!

Sherry

rochemist
07-19-2003, 12:12 PM
Well here is a scary thought I am at a mere 200 lbs, but nothing fits! That is the power of excercise. Muscle weighs more than fat! I am the poster child!

Yesterday 9,985 steps
30 min of aerobics
30 min of weightlifting/toning

and I even had to get my booty on the treadmill to make sure I got most my steps in.

Miss Chris:D

SuchAPrettyFace
07-19-2003, 01:58 PM
2 mile walk yesterday :D

jkfla
07-19-2003, 06:24 PM
i have been using the stationary bike every day for the past week or so. i was just using it every now and then when i started this. i started out trying to get in 5 miles a day and now that's easy (except for finding time between the kids wants and needs) but i've worked my way up to about 8 or 9 miles a day and added some little 3 pound weights while i'm doing it.
for some reason it is really hard for me to do it by time. i have this need to do it by miles.............. oh well. at least i'm doing something for a change. LOL

suzie76
07-19-2003, 07:15 PM
Friday is my "rest" day from exercise.

This morning I woke up early and exercised at 5:45-on a Saturday! I did Leslie Sansone WATP Express two mile walk.
Hope to do some strength training tomorrow-I'll need it. We have TWO parties tomorrow-a birthday party and an engagement party. I will not be weighing on Monday morning!

Sherry

synger
07-20-2003, 08:15 AM
I'm trying to start by incorporating more activity into my normal life. I have video tapes, and have used them in the past, but since my tendonitis has flared up so bad, I feel like I need to ease into "formal" exercise first.

So I've been walking the hallways/stairs at work for 20-30 minutes each day, and trying to garden or play in the pool with Gem and Hunter every other day. Yesterday, Saturday, I put Gem in the stroller and we walked the neighborhood for about an hour. Very nice. And we saw two bunnies, and a couple of fireflies, two or three dogs, some neighbors, and lots of kids. She had as much fun as I did! And I felt so good when we got home. I needed to get out of the house.

rochemist
07-20-2003, 09:09 AM
I love walking with my son Synger and its a good way to incorporate activity back into your lift.

Steps yesterday 8,755

It's really hot out so I have been taking shortcuts around the plant. Also trying to stay hydrated and limit my sun exposure.:p

Can't wait till I am off next week! Who is ready for some boot camp? I AM! I AM!:devil:

Miss Chris:D

suzie76
07-20-2003, 11:33 AM
Hi,

I did a Leisa Hart Ball Aero tape this morning-i (30 minutes) t was really fun: a ten minute warm up of dance type moves using a two pound "Ball Aero" weight (kind of like a weighted ball, but has straps to hold it), then ten minutes of an interval strength/aerobics segment, (used the four pound ball) followed by ten minutes of abs and stretching. I love her instruction-very warm and friendly person The three "ball aeros" are two, four and six pounds each, and the set has six different videos, two each of beg/int/advanced.

Can you tell I get bored easily and need to have tons of different exercise tapes to try?

Sherry

rochemist
07-21-2003, 09:52 AM
But Nacy Popp and Tracy York always seemed more coordinated. She was more like the cute blond that you were suppose to be like;)

Yesterday 6000 steps:(

BUT TODAY!
Pilates 1st thing and my son and I just got back from our 3.7 mile walk I ALREADY HAVE almost 7000 steps in:smug:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

LETS GO LADIES:D
Miss Chris:p

Sandi
07-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Ok, so I have gotten my food back on track. But this morning, when I told Hubby that I had lost 7.5 lbs, he said "Imagine if you had been exercising!". After I beat him over the head, I realized that he was right and then this thread caught my eye. Can't really do much today. I have to work 12 hours and I have to stay away from my treadmill until my feet feel better. But there is no reason I can't go to Curves at least 3 times this week. I'll be checking in!

Chris - we're having a boot camp next week?? Details???

mthrgoos68
07-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Boot camp????? I'm sore just thinking about it.

I did do 30 minutes today on the Epillitcal (sp?) machine. I've been afraid to try it, but I burned 300 calories in 30 minutes on that thing and I really enjoyed it!! I also did 20 minutes on the bike, and 30 minutes on the treadmill.

suzie76
07-21-2003, 01:32 PM
Miss Chris,
Which tape do you have with Leisa Hart, Nancy and Tracy York? I'm always looking to try new tapes.

Thanks,
Sherry

Sometimes I like instructors who mess up a little..they seem more human

I didn't work out today-I haven't been sleeping well, and was exhausted this morning. I"m still dragging myself through the day.

rochemist
07-21-2003, 06:40 PM
Chest and Abs of Steel 2000- All 3
Pilates for Dummies - Produced by Tracy York
Buns and Abs of Steel for Beginners- Tracy and Leisa

Boot Camp! I think Mthr Goose is already there that is alot of cardio!

I am at 16,000 steps so far today 4 hours till bed time! We went to the zoo, I must be daft! LOL!

Miss Chris

rochemist
07-22-2003, 09:16 AM
Up and off to the gym first thing this morning
UBWO and 5,546 steps to start the day!

So WHAT ARE YOU DOING TODAY?:D

LETS GO!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miss Chris:smug:

synger
07-22-2003, 09:27 AM
Sunday I gardened (mixed sand and topsoil to spread in some low places of our yard). That was exercise! I've taken to putting my long hair up in a bun, wrapping a bandana over it to soak up the sweat, then topping it off with a straw hat to keep the sun off my face.

Monday was our day off. More gardening, then into the pool. Did about ten minutes of lap swimming, "ran" in the water (BOY does that make the calves work!), then got out the long-handled pool brush after Hunter and Gem got out and brushed down the sides and floor of the pool.

Today I walked from Metro and took the stairs up to my office on the third floor. I plan to take a walking break about 11 and walk the hallways/take the stairs for 30-45 minutes.

This evening it's supposed to rain, so no gardening or walking outside. I'll have to get my exercise here at work, or spend an hour cleaning the downstairs play area so I can pull out one of my old exercise tapes.

Sandi
07-22-2003, 12:16 PM
I brought my workout clothes. It's off to curves after work for me!!

mthrgoos68
07-22-2003, 01:08 PM
Ow, ow, OW!! Woke up very sore this morning from the elliptical machine yesterday. I took that as a good sign that it was working though and went back today and did 30 minutes on it, 20 on the bike, and 30 on the treadmill. Feeling great, even if I'm sore!!

suzie76
07-22-2003, 02:14 PM
I did the WATP two mile tape today.

Sherry

rochemist
07-23-2003, 10:36 AM
GOOD MORNING!

Step total for yesterday = 12,027

This morning hit a LBWO and aerobics. Day starts with 3001 steps. Who's coming?
Miss Chris

synger
07-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Walked 45 minutes (and up seven flights of stairs) yesterday. My right calf isn't as tight and sore as it was when I started doing this last week.

I've already gotten 20 minutes in today (and 5 stairs) -- ten minutes walking from Metro (three stairs), and ten minutes walking around the halls while the coffee brewed in the pantry (two stairs).

I've started looking at Collage Video and VideoFitness web sites again, for inspiration. Usually that means that I'll be pulling out the exercise tapes in the next few days.

Sandi
07-23-2003, 12:08 PM
ummm...I never made it to curves. But I did work out! Sort of ;) Hubby called me to meet him at home before we picked up the baby! Woo Hoo - you got it honey!!

mthrgoos68
07-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Sandi, That sounds way more fun than my work out!!!

Gritted my teeth through the calf pain and did 30 minutes on the elliptical, 30 minutes on the treadmill, and 20 minutes on the bike. I know, it's been the same thing every day, but it keeps me accountable to tell you guys about it.

Sheila53
07-23-2003, 01:27 PM
I like Sandi's workout best!! :)

Oh, DH, where are you? I need to get in some quality exercise time!

Keillynsmom
07-23-2003, 04:30 PM
Sandi,

What's this about a "boot camp"? I need momentum!

suzie76
07-23-2003, 07:06 PM
I tried a tape by Firm for the first time-oh, my god!!

I'm proud to say I made it through half of a sixty minute workout. That was my goal...I'll do something easier tomorrow to let my body recover.

Kim, you should not exercise through pain. You may need some rest, and give your body a chance to recover. Also, you're working the same muscle groups every single day (on each machine) in a row by using the elliptical machine, treadmill and bike. Maybe check into some upper body strength training to do on alternate days with your lower body work. Don't burn yourself out, you could end up getting hurt. I don't mean to sound preachy, I just don't want you to hurt yourself.

Take care,
Sherry

howie6267
07-23-2003, 08:35 PM
I am going to order a Leslie Sansone two mile walk DVD this weekend. I figure I can do that at home and pause it when I need to sit for a few. My back will not allow me to walk far so walking outside is not much fun. And with a DVD I can take my laptop when I'm away from home and still keep up. I must say Sandi's work out does sound like more fun. But I get to hungry with that workout. LOL! That could be counter productive.

I do back exercises everyday. Those include 30 crunches which will help tighten my stomach. So at least I'm doing something good.

SuchAPrettyFace
07-23-2003, 08:37 PM
I would also like to sign up for Sandi's workout & I can have it this weekend if I want it.

Leaving to go for a 2 mile walk soon :)

suzie76
07-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Howie,
Which Leslie Sansone two mile are you buying? The Walk away the pounds two mile or the two mile walk? The Walk Away The Pounds has much simpler choreography-just four different steps. The "Two Mile Walk", which is an older workout has some more varied and harder steps-i.e. grapevine, etc. It is definitely more difficult.

If you have any questions about leslie sansone videos, just ask-I have about fifteen or more (blush!) different ones. I love her workouts cause they're the first ones I could actually do! She's very encouraging and motivating.

You may want to check out the website collagevideo.com

They have over twenty of Leslie's videos. The neat thing about the site is that you can see streaming samples of the videos, so you know what the workout is like. There are also reviews by people who have done the workouts.

Good luck,
Sherry

howie6267
07-23-2003, 09:37 PM
I will check out that site. I guess I did not know there was so many. I will have to see. But I will probably get the easier one to start with.

howie6267
07-23-2003, 10:09 PM
Well I did it I bought Two Mile Walk With Leslie Sansone. Ebay had it in DVD for 9.70. I looked at both of the above and they both said low impact beginner to intermediate. So I chose the 2 mile one just because I know if I finish it I've walked 2 miles. Call me funny it just sounds like more of an accomplishment then saying I did a 20 or 30-minute work out video. Plus the 1/2-hour appeals to me. It is easier to fit in.

:cb:

synger
07-24-2003, 08:20 AM
The first video I ever used regularly was The New You with Linda Evans. It has three sections, and you do what you can. She's really encouraging.

Plus (and this has helped me on EVERY other tape I've used) they have people doing modifications. One lady just does the footwork with no armwork, so if you can't quite keep up with the higher level people, you can stick with the lower level people. It taught me how to modify steps so when I got other tapes I didn't hurt myself trying to jump around. /grin

The instructor, Kari Anderson, is really easy to follow, and not so annoyingly chipper as so many others. The setting is beautiful and the music very motivating.

Videofitness reviews of this tape helped me decide to get it. http://www.videofitness.com/reviews/andny.php

rochemist
07-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Yesterday I hit 11,760 steps.

Today I am just walking so far 12,979 hoping to hit 15,000 steps today.

I never thought of a grapevine as a complicated step. Its always been a favorite, makes aerobics more like dancing. Can't turn a grapevine worth a crap though. Love to dance, but Grace I am not. LOL!

Miss Chris

suzie76
07-24-2003, 08:52 PM
grapevines aren't hard-I just meant it is harder than the steps in the regular watp videos.

Grace i am not either, but i'll keep trying!

sherry

suzie76
07-25-2003, 07:29 AM
Hi,
I took a rest day yesterday to recover from trying The firm.

Today I took it easy and did a Leslie Sansone Muscle Mile One video. I will try The Firm again tomorrow.

sherry

synger
07-25-2003, 08:06 AM
Yesterday I walked 40 minutes (including five flights of stairs). To top if off, I cleaned the downstairs computer/den/play/workout area of all the toys.

I'm getting ready to start lifting again, so I had to fish all the little plastic animals from under my weight bench. And I found that the two missing blocks from the block set are in one of the tubes in the weight bench. I think they're gone forever, because they fit JUST right. It's nice to know where they are, though. /grin

I dug out my old exercise log, and pulled the Growing Stronger and Yoga for Wimps books off the shelves. Mentally prepping usually takes me a week or so, and I've been cogitating on this next step since last Friday, so I'll probably do my first aerobic tape or lifting set this weekend. That's just how I work. /chuckle

AngiKL
07-25-2003, 09:48 AM
I did 20 minutes of yoga yesterday. I always feel like I have to remind you guys that I have fibromyalgia so you don't think I'm a total exercise wimp.

Anyway, I'm just proud to have done something that I can post in this thread! :)

synger
07-25-2003, 09:56 AM
20 minutes of yoga is nothing to sneeze at, Angi! It's not just breathing and stretching. My body is never quite sure WHAT I'm trying to make it do when I try a new yoga position. But then it says "oh, yeah, I like that stretch" and settles into it.

And the pain of fibromyalgia is nothing to be ashamed of. I know exercise helps manage the pain in most people, and I think it's great that you're doing what you can. That's the way to do it. I'm sure your doctor has told you what you can do and what is too much.

We're just glad you are doing something active. That's what this thread is all about.

rochemist
07-25-2003, 12:17 PM
Any activity is better than none at all.

Yesterday didn't hit 15,000 steps only got 13,168. Today did a FBWO at the gym and so far 5,339 steps.WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO!:D

Miss Chris:cool:

suzie76
07-26-2003, 09:05 AM
Saturday Morning-

Firm Basics Sculpting with Weights-Proud to say I did the whole thing! I had to modify some things, but I made it!

Sherry

synger
07-26-2003, 11:41 AM
Yesterday, did 10 minutes from Metro, 30 minutes of hallways/stairs, and 10 minutes to Metro

rochemist
07-26-2003, 09:48 PM
Today I am in Iowa and we walked a little,but I went swimming for an hour. It was a blast.

Miss Chris

synger
07-27-2003, 04:11 AM
Saturday I moved all the furniture in our living room, vaccumed thoroughly, then steam-cleaned the carpet.

Got out my Afro-Brazilian Cardio tape (the Method), and did the first section of that (20 minutes or so). The tape has three segments. Very fun. Not a great warm up and no cool down if you don't do all three. But I didn't want to cool down right away 'cause I followed it with 30 minutes of free weights. Then stretching.

I'd forgotten how hard some of the arm exercises can be. /chuckle And I was using my lowest-weight dumbbells for parts of the workout, too. But I have my log updated with this new set of exercises, and have started recording my sets/reps/weight. Could only do two sets this first time. And I wimped out and didn't do the good mornings or squats yet. But it'll get better each time.

Then, in the afternoon, I spent about 40 minutes gardening. All in all, a very active day.

dowsx4
07-27-2003, 09:48 AM
Synger sounds like you had a very active day! yesterday i went to visit my brother at camp and spent most of the day walking around the campground which is all hilly and spending a few hours in the pool. It was great and i feel the exercise! But it was SOOOO much fun.

LighterLisa
07-27-2003, 10:16 AM
Okay, I saw this on TV and bought it ebay and thought what do I have to lose except 20 minutes in the morning, right? Anyway, I measured today and here are my one week losses

Upper Abs 3 inches
Waist 3 inches
Lower Abs 3 inches
Hips 1 inch
Thighs 0 inches (but my legs are pretty swollen today)
Upper Arm 2 inches

If my math is correct, I lost a total of 12 inches in one week. Now, of course, I do Curves and WATP too and have been for 2 months but the only thing different I did last week was Body Flex. I'm hooked.

Just had to share!!

Lisa

suzie76
07-27-2003, 03:47 PM
Hi,

I did Fat burning For dummies this morning-fun tape!

Sherry

AngiKL
07-27-2003, 10:50 PM
I did water aerobics Friday night and tonight. I've exercises every day this week except for yesterday.

Maybe we should start a weekly exercise thread that changes every Monday?

suzie76
07-27-2003, 10:55 PM
Angi,

Good idea, this one is getting too long. Congrats on so much exercise! Good luck at your weigh in at the doctor's tomorrow!

I wish we had a pool right nearby. I love to swim.

Take care,
Sherry