Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #1  
Obsessed

S/C/G: 265/230/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Do you continue to exercise when you have a cold/virus?

I've got what appears to be a cold starting. Headache, sore throat, head congestion. I am not worried about my eating habits because I have that down pat, but I am unsure if I should continue to exercise. I started to feel like garbage yesterday but I worked out last night anyway. Today though I just feel exhausted. Since I've changed my life style and started exercising I haven't felt nearly this tired. I just wanted to ask what pathes you all take when you are under the weather. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by CooCooCaChoo; 04-02-2014 at 06:08 PM.
CooCooCaChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #2  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

The last time I got a bad cold, I decided to push through it and continue with my C25K training. I later regretted it; I don't know if the run made me worse, but I was so sick the next morning! I ended up staying in bed for two whole days (I was so bad my hubby stayed home from work to take care of the baby), and had to restart the training from day one a few days after I started recovering.

The next time I'm faced with that situation, I'm just going to rest and wait until I'm feeling better. That's just my experience though.

Hope you feel better soon!
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/205.6/165

Height: 5'4"

I don't think it's a good idea - your body is already fighting off the infection and spending much of its energy doing that. You won't be at your 100% anyway, so I'd at least wait the 1-3 days when most virus tend to be most contagious before starting anything up again. Do you go to a public gym or do you work out elsewhere? That's another thing to take into consideration, if you're sick and working out in public you could be spreading your germs to everyone else!

My opinion would be to let your body rest for a couple days, don't push yourself when your body is already being attacked by a virus.
kaybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I will do only what I feel up to doing, which typically isn't a lot. My exercise is just walking anyway, but sometimes I get in a streak with a *lot* of walking. If I'm sick, I just walk however much I'm comfortable.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #5  

Nope. Rest, fluids, and bland foods for me.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I have read so many times on here that if it's a cold to work thorugh it and if it's a flu to rest.

I don't get that advice at all. If you are exhausted and you are sick, don't tax your body even more. REST and recuperate>

I've read a couple of times of people VOMITING sick and still going to the gym... there should be a law against that! I think that says you have a problem if you can't stop when you are sick...
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #7  
Obsessed

Thanks everyone. I only work out at home so no contamination risks, and I have read sweating it out isn't always a bad thing. However, I think I might take this overly tired feeling as a sign to relax for a night. Hopefully it'll pass soon!

Last edited by CooCooCaChoo; 04-02-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I generally continue to exercise unless I have a fever. In that case, I put off my workout until the next day or the day after that. My goal is 4 workouts a week, and I haven't missed a week in the 2.5 years I've been exercising. I'm not suggesting that anyone else follow this regimen; it's simply what's working for me right now.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #9  
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
I generally continue to exercise unless I have a fever. In that case, I put off my workout until the next day or the day after that. My goal is 4 workouts a week, and I haven't missed a week in the 2.5 years I've been exercising. I'm not suggesting that anyone else follow this regimen; it's simply what's working for me right now.

F.
Thanks. I like the variety of replies.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #10  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

I thought "sweating it out" meant letting your fever run it's course without taking fever reducers, not working out!

If your body is already tired, I would rest.

I just took a full two weeks off for a rather serious sinus and ear infection. It was really hard mentally because I feared that I would drop the ball completely and never get back in my routine. But in the end, I think it was the best thing for my health and now I'm back at it. I also somehow managed to lose a lot of weight during those two weeks.

If you do any working out, at least be easy on yourself. It's okay to take a break now and then.

Feel better!!!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/205.6/165

Height: 5'4"

I've had a head cold and have been tempted to go to the gym because I otherwise felt fine, but then I thought - how the heck am I supposed to breath?? lol
kaybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #12  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Research on this subject indicates that moderate exercise will provide a slight boost to the immune system. Too much exercise will cause your immune system to suffer.

Thus, if you are going to exercise when sick, don't over do it.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #13  
Obsessed

Thank you all! I did low intensity on the elliptical for 25 minutes because just sitting was making me imagine I felt sicker than I am. I am a hypochondriac. I'm gonna pass on the weights and calisthenics for the night.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #14  
maintaining since 9/2013

I have always noticed that cardio like running exacerbates a respiratory infection, even if I'm almost over it. I imagine that increased breathing irritates and dries out the lining of the airways and allows the microbes another chance to invade. Maybe going for a slow walk would avoid this. If you feel exhausted, maybe your body is telling you to rest! Hope you feel better soon!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #15  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I just read an article that said if it's above the neck you could exercise if it's below, lungs, etc. you should not.

I believe in listening to your body, if you feel like you need rest you should rest.

I like JohnP's advice, I try to stay active, but really try to make sure I get to bed early and get enough sleep.

Hope you're feeling better soon
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote