Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-31-2014, 05:53 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat March 31 - April 6

With April starting tomorrow I really believe in Spring!

I believe, despite that DW and I still haven't planted our snow peas that are scheduled to be in the ground on Saint Patrick's day. But we should be able to do that this week. If it stops raining. We had two inches of rain on Saturday - enough that we ended up with two inches in our basement. And it's raining now. We do need the stuff, so I've no complaint.

At a funeral on Saturday, I saw a couple that I hadn't seen in forty years - and I recognized them. Don't know how the brain can do that.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:25 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
At a funeral on Saturday, I saw a couple that I hadn't seen in forty years - and I recognized them. Don't know how the brain can do that.
It's wonderful when this happens, I agree! Someone I haven't seen for around 15 years (we first met about 40 years ago) saw a photo of me recently and commented that I 'hadn't changed at all'. I have, of course, but also I haven't.

It's a beautiful day here. I hope against hope that it's the same for all of you.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning!

Beautiful day here yesterday and today promises more - sun and some warmth! Big decisions were reached in out household this weekend and big changes are coming. More later.

Did yoga for the first time since my head cold started - felt great!

I am feeling a great sadness at the passing of L'Wren Scott - have been so deep in my cold/fatigue misery that I wasn't aware she'd died until yesterday. So creative, not only at visualizing her designs but also excelled at the craft of actually producing them. And I feel sad for Mick Jagger too - L'Wren took her own life in a way that left no doubt about her intention. He must be asking himself all sorts of questions while grieving for the loss of his partner in life.

Good day all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #4  

Good Morning!

I have a specific Leslie Sansone dvd/or 4 miles of it that I do every morning for a week, then I will change. I have been exercising 4 miles every morning scince sometime in Dec 2013. (Ive only missed one day scince then when I did 2 miles)

This week I am doing 4 miles of the 5 Really big miles dvd. I usually start by 7:30 or before and get done by 8:30 or before.

I have 5 children ages 11 1/2 to 1 year old and we homeschool, I am a busy person!

I recently started getting in 5 servings of Fruits/veggies into my bite count. (I have 45 bites a day on weekdays) I take Wheatgrass powder and 10 prunes a day to accomplish this. (Every 1 1/4 tsp of wheatgrass powder equals 1 serving of Leafy green vegetable) and every 5 prunes equals 1 serving fruit... When I was losing wieght, I was getting virtually almost no fruits and vegetables. Now I feel better, my digestive system is working better! I am hoping to work towards 9 servings of fruits/vegetables a day eventually here.

I also started probiotics which is making my Psorasis start disappearing. saccharomyces boulardii.

There is a probiotic that recently has been proven to help weight Loss and Weight Maintenance for women. Its called lactobacillus rhamnosus I am hoping to start trying this soon. Women who took this probiotic lost almost twice as much wieght and were able to maintain weight better!

Quote:
Welcome Ahna!
I'd never heard of counting bites! I started looking at your blog a little bit and was fascinated. I do Leslie DVDs every morning too, but 3 miles most days
Thanks for the Welcome Everyone!

Have a wonderful On-Plan day today!

Last edited by ahna; 03-31-2014 at 07:40 AM.
ahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Morning all!

I am so glad to see this month come to an end!! Saturday we were able to get a long walk in - this is what 9 miles does to 2 Boxers that haven't gotten enough exercise this winter:

Yesterday I awoke to a major blizzard. We got at least 8 inches on top of what was already there. Bill, you talked about getting the snow peas in the GROUND??!! I can't even get in my greenhouse, forget about the ground!!

I managed to get 15 miles running in on the treadmill, but I am so OVER running on that sucker!!

Apparently some good exercise and feeling sorry for myself translates into thinking I can eat with complete and utter abandon. Which of course, I can, but then being shocked by the scale reading this morning?

Ok, so today is a new day, right?

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

We had to cancel yesterday morning's golf game due to high winds. It was actually nice as I got a lot of little things done in the morning that I wouldn't have had time to do otherwise.

Back to work this morning for the last day of the month which means a lot of extra work to do.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Jen at the expressions on your doggie's faces - they look beat!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Ahna... welcome!
You do sound very busy!!
I've never heard of counting bites and while it does sound interesting, I don't think it would ever be for me for many reasons. For one thing, it doesn't sound like you eat much! I like to eat volume-- lots of veggies and fruit... But, I'm wondering if your diet is balanced? 10 prunes sounds like a lot to me but I don't eat prunes so maybe I'm wrong... are you getting protein, etc into your day?

Jen-- that picture is priceless! That's how I feel many mornings!

My weight is (knock on wood) doing well. I'm hoping to get down a pound or two before we leave on our cruise. I started thinking about how/why I gain so much when we cruise and it's not hard to figure out. If you gain 1 pound for every 3500 extra calories (and though I exercise on the boat, I'm not getting nearly as much as I usually do), if we just have a latte (non fat mind you) and a small baked item-- boom! That's easily 500 calories a day. If I go beyond that and have a dessert each day-- another pound... you get the picture. So, I'm hopefully going to keep that in mind and really plan my off plan splurges. I'll be okay if I come back up 3-4 pounds as I know I can get that off, but I really don't want to be up 10!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

Bill - Yes, that is amazing to see someone after that many years and still recognize them. I always run into former students and I recognize them, but their names... not so much. The funny thing is the former student's names whom I do remember, will always tell me their names in a polite way, but the ones who I have no idea on their name, will not say their name!

Jen- they look exhausted! Poor babies -- but good for them too! You are right, it's a new day!

Michele, probably just the fact that you are making yourself more aware of what the calories are will help!

Ahna, Wow, you must be busy with 5 kids at home to home school. I don't know how you have time to count bites! It sounds like it works for you which is great. I'm not sure about me, as I tend to space out while eating, even though I do try to concentrate. This why I don't ever take a bag of something without pouring into a bowl or measuring first!

Hello to everyone else!
Nothing new with me other than COUNTDOWN to Spring Break! 12 more school days... kids are ready, teachers are past ready.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #10  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Ahna, do you get 45 bites PLUS the wheatgrass/prunes, or is that including them?

Michele, yes the calories really add up quick with bakery treats. Every time I go to Starbucks (which posts calories under their bakery items) I am astonished anew that an itty-bitty cake pop (Ahna, 2 bites I think) is nearly 200 cals. I also prefer volume in my food, and that may be a key to your avoiding the siren call of the myriad treats on your cruise too; can't eat a croissant if you're busy peeling a grapefruit, and you might be too full for seconds if you eat a large salad before your main course.

Andrea

Last edited by neurodoc; 03-31-2014 at 08:32 PM.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #11  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Good morning! I will probably not be around much as I am super busy at work.

Welcome, Ahna!

Jen, love the doggies! Since we finally got Carter's nails taken care of he is much more comfortable going for walks now, but he and I are both so out of shape we're beat after 30 minutes.

The weather finally is warming up here! I saw a lot of joggers out yesterday and looked mournfully at the jogging stroller I bought. We took the girls out for a walk but I am hopeful that sometime soon I can get back out jogging again. I feel like I'll need some kind of support band for my droopy saggy belly. The babies are doing well though! Having issues waking up too early but they slept from 7-5:30 last night with only one incident around 8:30pm. I'm so glad that this seems to be their normal pattern and now I can get almost a solid 8 hours of sleep again. (Dropping my nighttime pumping session has hurt my supply a little, but hopefully their milk demand will be going down soon anyway.)
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

On recognizing a face: Friday night, at our monthly wine dinner, we were sat with the board members of the charity that was being honored. A woman sat down near DH and I remarked, "you look really familiar." And then within a split second I realized who she was and blurted out "oh, you're our lawyer!" The whole table had quite a laugh at that. She is our lawyer, the one who drew up our will and estate planning, so it was many years ago and we've only seen her once since then.

Jessica, would wearing Spanx while jogging help with the belly?

I have a hard time wrapping my head around bites vs. calories. If it were me, I'd easily take larger bites! With calories, I know what I'm getting.

Yesterday was a crazy busy day at work. Then home to put away my Chewy order (pet food) and other chores. I was really knocked out by the end of the night. Today should be a little more relaxing.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Ahna... welcome!
You do sound very busy!!
I've never heard of counting bites and while it does sound interesting, I don't think it would ever be for me for many reasons. For one thing, it doesn't sound like you eat much! I like to eat volume-- lots of veggies and fruit... But, I'm wondering if your diet is balanced? 10 prunes sounds like a lot to me but I don't eat prunes so maybe I'm wrong... are you getting protein, etc into your day?
I get protien fruits and veggies plus whatever else I want as long as I stay within my bite count. This gives me alot of freedom and helps keep me from feeling as deprived. I can "have" anything I want. But I "choose" to get some protien and stuff and then I can also have some sweets. 2 servings fruit (10 prunes) and over 7 servings Veggies.

Some poeple choose to eat lots of volume and Low Calorie foods! and I choose to eat higher calorie food and lower volume!

I also eat really slow too, one minute per bite, that helps keep me full and satisfied on a small amount of food. See link in my signature about slow eating. It really works doesnt matter what plan you are on! More information in my blog about that

Quote:
Ahna, do you get 45 bites PLUS the wheatgrass/prunes, or is that including them?

No, Prunes and Wheatgrass are included in the 45 bites. Prunes I eat 5 bites per day (2 prunes per bite) and Wheatgrass is 3 Tablespoons per day (1 Tablespoon per bite) This equals 9.2 servings of Fruits and Veggies.

Today it is warmer here! Need to get busy and do my housework!

Have a wonderful on Plan day everyone!
Thanks for the welcome!
ahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #14  
Workin' It

Heya, folks.

Trying to get back into posting, and getting some control back over the freefall that has become my diet and self confidence of late. Baby steps.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Heya, folks.

Trying to get back into posting, and getting some control back over the freefall that has become my diet and self confidence of late. Baby steps.
You can do it !!!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote