Ideal Protein Diet - Weight loss stalled

View Full Version : Weight loss stalled

beardude
03-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Hi Everyone! I am starting to get a little discouraged. In the past couple weeks I have lost very little weight. The past 4 or 5 days, my scale hasn't budged. I am following the plan to the letter. No cheats whatsoever. Is this normal, and if so how long does it last. As we all know, this plan is not cheap, especially if you are a larger person when you start. I can justify the expense when I am losing, even if it is slowly, but I find it hard to justify when I am losing nothing! Does anyone have any advice or "secrets" lol! Also wondering about exercising. I was told that there should be absolutely no exercising while on this plan, yet from what I read online at different sites, other coaches say "yes" to exercise. Hoping this stall or whatever you want to call it is over before my feeling of helplessness takes over. I have been overweight all my life and this plan has been working wonders up till now. I welcome the advice and suggestions of everyone here on this site! :)

drd1961
03-30-2014, 10:45 AM
I think it is hard to help without knowing a typical meal day. Also has there been any inch loss? IP recommends light exercise, light weights, walking, water aerobics, light yoga.

AmberLS
03-30-2014, 10:55 AM
I stalled in week 4 and 5, but then on I went. I do yoga and water aerobics. Keep sticking to it!

beardude
03-30-2014, 10:56 AM
B: Chocolate drink mix
S: Chocolate drink mix
L: Chicken Noodle Soup
D: 11 oz meat plus 2 cups of veg
2 snacks between that at 9:30

Minimum of 2 litres of water per day, but somedays it's upwards of 3.5 - 4 litres

I don't go to bed normally until around 1 am so I eat my snacks by 9:30, rather than 8, for two reasons, 1: hard to fit them in, and I would be hungry again before I go to bed.

I normally only eat 2 cups of vegetables because I have Irritable Bowel and vegetable tend to wreak havoc on my digestion. Green, cruciferous vegetables normally help people with constipation and regular bowel habits, but it has the opposite effect on me. Gas bloating and constipation! So I try and get my two cups in each day, but 4 would just about kill me. Considering I didn't like vegetable until I started this diet, I am doing good with them.

Slipfree
03-30-2014, 10:57 AM
Beardude, how long have you been on IP? I have had two slowdowns during the past 6 months while remaining OP. Sometimes the body has to adjust. My advice is to stay the course. Focus on what you are doing right for your body. As for cost, the key is acceptance. Pay for program now or pay for health related costs later. Based on your numbers, IP has been working. Patience and getting in your water are the keys. Hope the scale starts moving again :)

stephascope
03-30-2014, 11:02 AM
B: Chocolate drink mix
L: Chicken Noodle Soup
D: 11 oz meat plus 2 cups of veg
2 snacks between that at 9:30

I don't go to bed normally until around 1 am so I eat my snacks by 9:30, rather than 8, for two reasons, 1: hard to fit them in, and I would be hungry again before I go to bed.

I normally only eat 2 cups of vegetables because I have Irritable Bowel and vegetable tend to wreak havoc on my digestion. Green, cruciferous vegetables normally help people with constipation and regular bowel habits, but it has the opposite effect on me. Gas bloating and constipation! So I try and get my two cups in each day, but 4 would just about kill me. Considering I didn't like vegetable until I started this diet, I am doing good with them.

What 2 snacks are you eating before bed? I understand the 4 IP packets you're having throughout the day. It's kind of hard to justify a stall when you're not following the protocol 100%. Could you try some different veggies that are easier on your system to get your 4 cups in every day? Maybe you need to shake things up a bit by replacing one of your 4 packets with a restricted or split your 8 oz of protein between lunch and dinner? Sometimes your body just needs a little change. Hang in there! My IP journey is taking longer than I expected and is costing me an arm and a leg but I'd rather be healthy and broke than fat and unhappy any day ;)

beardude
03-30-2014, 11:08 AM
I've been on plan now since January 13, 2014. 11 weeks, going into the 12 week. I have been pleased with my weight loss. I have lost 54 pounds in that time, but I was just wondering about the past couple weeks, whereas nothing seems to be helping. I have lost 20 inches in that time, but I don't really understand the whole measuring thing. The coach measures in 5 or 6 different areas, but I have lost weight in other areas, probably more so than in the areas that are being measured. lol! For instance, I don't have what you would call a "neck" lol, but what I do have has seen a loss of at of least 2.5 to 3 inches, maybe more, but that isn't factored into my figures. I have lost significantly where my pants and belt sit, but she measures around my belly, and around my butt/hips, so that isn't factored into my figures.

beardude
03-30-2014, 11:11 AM
What 2 snacks are you eating before bed? I understand the 4 IP packets you're having throughout the day. It's kind of hard to justify a stall when you're not following the protocol 100%. Could you try some different veggies that are easier on your system to get your 4 cups in every day? Maybe you need to shake things up a bit by replacing one of your 4 packets with a restricted or split your 8 oz of protein between lunch and dinner? Sometimes your body just needs a little change. Hang in there! My IP journey is taking longer than I expected and is costing me an arm and a leg but I'd rather be healthy and broke than fat and unhappy any day ;)

I usually save my restricted snack (normally a Orange Wafer bar) and a Drink mix, or sometimes a bag of the unrestricted soy chips) I keep my Restricted snack for after supper as it gives me something to look forward to, especially if you are at home watching tv or out with friends who are eating whatever they want.

I have tried splitting my meat protein between lunch and dinner, trying to surprise my system, so to say.

beardude
03-30-2014, 11:13 AM
By the way...how does everybody get those little tickers under their posts! :)

Slipfree
03-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Beardude, how many packets a day has your coach advised? The number that you are having for your current weight seems high in addition to having additional protein (11 oz versus the 8 on the protocol sheet) We have two people in our group that started at your weight. They did not have more than 4 packets, 3 unrestricted and one restricted.

beardude
03-30-2014, 11:27 AM
I was given 6 packets a day, one breakfast and 1dinner, 3 unrestricted snack and 1 restricted. I started out with 14 oz of meat and I am down to 11 now. I started at 360 and I am down to 307.6 now (where I have been for 4 or 5 days, lol)

drd1961
03-30-2014, 11:32 AM
I do think you need more veggies. Also are you getting your healthy oils? The problem with eating at night is you don't have time to burn it off. However, you are doing well. 54 pounds is great, and your body may need a pause to catch up. That often happens.

JLUS
03-30-2014, 11:59 AM
I too question the number of packets and higher protein. I know Lisa has posted a chart of weight vs packets before and you might be right in line, but I didn't recall that many for your weight. I also have never seen more than the 8oz of meat.

I also agree that your body is catching IP with some significant losses over 11 weeks and you need to be patient with it!! AND you are losing inches. A stall is NO CHANGE in inches OR weight for four weeks. You aren't stalled, you are just loosing differently/slowly than you want... But Averaging more than 5 lbs a week!!

Coaches have specific areas they are supposed to measure so everyone is consistent across the board ("supposed to" being the key). But that doesn't mean you aren't losing in lots of other places!! As long as you are noticing all those other places, that is another personal victory for you. Just because it's not officially recorded doesn't make it any less of a success!!!

Stay the course and you will continue to be successful!

beardude
03-30-2014, 11:59 AM
I do think you need more veggies. Also are you getting your healthy oils? The problem with eating at night is you don't have time to burn it off. However, you are doing well. 54 pounds is great, and your body may need a pause to catch up. That often happens.

I understand the whole idea of not eating at night, but the whole 8 o'clock thing is for people who go to bed earlier, say, 10 or 10:30 maybe. I am a night owl. I only get my second wind when most people are going to bed. So I don't think 9 or 9:30,for my snack is too off considering I don't go to bed until 1 or 1:30, and maybe later.

I would love to eat more vegetables, but like I said They cause me too much pain. If no one has irritable bowel problems, they don't know what someone has to go through. Also, I live in the eastern most province in Canada. Newfoundland is an island, and getting fresh produce like those that are named on the Ideal protein sheet are hard to get at any time of the year, and some I have never seen in my grocery stores. I live 3 hours away from a |major" grocery chain store, so it's not like I can drop in on my way home from work and pick up a new vegetable, so I have to stick with the slim picking that I have in my local grocery store (and believe it or not, I have to travel 45 minutes to get that!) :)

patns
03-30-2014, 12:05 PM
What stood out to me was the oil too, maybe you just didn't mention it. The olive oil works wonders as IP is very low fat, you need health oils to lose. I actually went with Dr Tran's original suggestion of a Tablespoon a day when I stalled out. Also make sure some of your meat and fish is not totally very low fat. I stalled when I was eating mostly all chicken breast and shrimp. The stall broke when I added in more beef and salmon.

6 packets a day seems like a lot, even people who are very large starting usually get 5 at the most.

Whoops, didn't see where you lived until after I posted. I am from Nova Scotia and has a very good friend in Labrador so I know what you are going through with the veggies.

Do you have to travel to the coach or is there one in the area. I suspect you are paying quite dearly for the packets. Has your coach gone anywhere for training or just getting the packages from someone one else?
Just curious because of a situation someone from a very northern community on this end of Canada went through.

65X65
03-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Hi all...god to see new faces and new questions being tossed out..

Just want to add that when you are not noticing inches coming off...

Remember you lose visceral fat on this diet...that internal fatty stuff accumulated around your heart and major organs that is so dangerous.

When you are being compliant and not seeing "measurable loss" on the scale or with the tape measure, remember that fat has also been disappearing from your internal torso. This does not show on any external measuring methods that are being used. My coach warned me about getting too upset when things slowed down visibly or measurably...and reminded me the overall health benefits of losing weight are just as important internally and were NOT measurable by anything she could do in the office. (On certain types of radiologic scans...it will show up though! I had one done to monitor a condition I have...and the radiologist noted the "severe loss of adipose and internal fat/body mass since the last scan" on the report to my physician.

Since most of us don't have to have that kind of testing done...and should not unless there is another underlying reason....what you DON'T know or see ...IS showing !!!;)

Hiker88
03-30-2014, 12:25 PM
65, its so great to 'read' you this morning! I miss all of your wisdom and insight! Thanks for dropping in, I love your little tidbits of advice!!

65X65
03-30-2014, 12:43 PM
65, its so great to 'read' you this morning! I miss all of your wisdom and insight! Thanks for dropping in, I love your little tidbits of advice!!

Thanks Hiker...I do miss you all as well..!! But life has gotten very busy...(good stuff)...and maintenance continues to go quite well as I "play" with how to work this lifestyle for my "under-tall" body...and advancing age!

My husband may retire before this year is over....(HORRORS!!!!)...so I have a small window to get a few things done before that happens...and LOL...to enjoy having the castle all to my self!!

Hiker88
03-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Thanks Hiker...I do miss you all as well..!! But life has gotten very busy...(good stuff)...and maintenance continues to go quite well as I "play" with how to work this lifestyle for my "under-tall" body...and advancing age!

My husband may retire before this year is over....(HORRORS!!!!)...so I have a small window to get a few things done before that happens...and LOL...to enjoy having the castle all to my self!!

Awe.... so many I know have an 'adjustment' period when the hubby retires! Takes awhile to get used to him in the castle! Sounds like good motivation to get things done! Have a great weekend!

lisa32989
03-30-2014, 01:16 PM
"Stalls" can be frustrating but a true plateau doesn't happen unless it is 4-6 weeks of no movement on the scale or measuring tape.

This is because measurements on the scale only measure our overall weight. Not just fat loss.

There is SO MUCH that happens with weight loss. And it does not happen in a linear fashion the entire time. Most weight loss is in fits and starts.

I have a few of suggestions.

First: Have you tried pureeing your veggies? We have a whole thread about it. You can find the link in the first post of the daily (weekend) chat. If pureeing works for you, you might be able to get all 4 cups in.

Second:
It may be time to cut down a bit more on your meat protein (getting closer to the 8 oz on the plan). It looks like your six packets are right in line with the guidelines:
201-240 pounds = 4 packets/day
241-280 pounds = 5 packets/day
281-320 pounds = 6 packets/day

Third:
Scale stress is stress. And stress raises cortisol, which blocks weight loss. It was fun to weigh frequently when it was going down almost daily. As long as you stick to plan like glue, there is no need to weigh so frequently (this will become a crucial thing in maintenance, however). So, I say stay off the scale between WIs until you can deal with whatever number the scale brings. Sometimes it will go down. Sometimes it will flatline. Sometimes it might even increase a bit. This does NOT mean we're not losing fat. It is just how our bodies work. We hold onto the water that is connected with the fat and we lose it last.

Good luck! I know it is frustrating but here is what one of our maintainers says:
Being fat is hard
Weight loss is hard
Maintenance is hard
Pick your hard

RE: Tickers. That info is also in the first post of the daily chat.

murphypuppy
03-31-2014, 12:59 PM
I don't know if it really works or if it is just my mind playing tricks on me but the weeks that am religious about taking my Bragg's apple cider vinegar daily, I loose more weight. I was stalled for a week and a half and I added it back into my diet and I started loosing again. Could be a coincidence though... Fermented foods are good for you though so whether it helps break a stall or not I will keep up on it daily...

kaylynt
03-31-2014, 02:19 PM
"Stalls" can be frustrating but a true plateau doesn't happen unless it is 4-6 weeks of no movement on the scale or measuring tape.

This is because measurements on the scale only measure our overall weight. Not just fat loss.

There is SO MUCH that happens with weight loss. And it does not happen in a linear fashion the entire time. Most weight loss is in fits and starts.

I have a few of suggestions.

First: Have you tried pureeing your veggies? We have a whole thread about it. You can find the link in the first post of the daily (weekend) chat. If pureeing works for you, you might be able to get all 4 cups in.

Second:
It may be time to cut down a bit more on your meat protein (getting closer to the 8 oz on the plan). It looks like your six packets are right in line with the guidelines:
201-240 pounds = 4 packets/day
241-280 pounds = 5 packets/day
281-320 pounds = 6 packets/day

Third:
Scale stress is stress. And stress raises cortisol, which blocks weight loss. It was fun to weigh frequently when it was going down almost daily. As long as you stick to plan like glue, there is no need to weigh so frequently (this will become a crucial thing in maintenance, however). So, I say stay off the scale between WIs until you can deal with whatever number the scale brings. Sometimes it will go down. Sometimes it will flatline. Sometimes it might even increase a bit. This does NOT mean we're not losing fat. It is just how our bodies work. We hold onto the water that is connected with the fat and we lose it last.

Good luck! I know it is frustrating but here is what one of our maintainers says:
Being fat is hard
Weight loss is hard
Maintenance is hard
Pick your hard

RE: Tickers. That info is also in the first post of the daily chat.

"Pick your hard" EPIC! and my new motto, so true!!!

Sheriously
04-06-2014, 07:23 AM
I've been on plan now since January 13, 2014. 11 weeks, going into the 12 week. I have been pleased with my weight loss. I have lost 54 pounds in that time, but I was just wondering about the past couple weeks, whereas nothing seems to be helping. I have lost 20 inches in that time, but I don't really understand the whole measuring thing. The coach measures in 5 or 6 different areas, but I have lost weight in other areas, probably more so than in the areas that are being measured. lol! For instance, I don't have what you would call a "neck" lol, but what I do have has seen a loss of at of least 2.5 to 3 inches, maybe more, but that isn't factored into my figures. I have lost significantly where my pants and belt sit, but she measures around my belly, and around my butt/hips, so that isn't factored into my figures.

beardude...EXACT same day I started on IP and I'm experiencing a stall too!! Last Wednesday weigh in...0 pounds lost. I normally don't weigh myself at all under the following Wednesday, but because of that 0 loss, I've been checking the scale every day...and NOT. ONE. CHANGE. So we have the stall in common...;)

Annik
04-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Too much protein can definitely cause a stall. This is a moderate protein diet and not a high protein one.

mars735
04-06-2014, 09:56 AM
hi beardude, adding more food for thought, so to speak....constipation is a common culprit when weight loss slows, though I agree with the other posters that your progress is great and your body may just be pausing. Big C may be an issue even if you are going everyday. The colon can hang onto up to 10 lbs.

Another thought, IF you have actually stalled is that it may be time to taper down a packet, since you have lost so much already. You are very close to the 200s. Getting less food as a result of weight loss seems like a negative reward imho, but those other rewards are golden!

kdspirited
04-07-2014, 08:09 PM
14 weeks and I am stalled too. I am yoyoing between the same +/-2 lbs

lisa32989
04-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Are you following plan 100%?
How long stalled?
A true plateau would be 4-6 weeks with no movement on scale or measuring tape

I know it is frustrating but don't give up. Weight loss isn't linear, there are ebbs and flows

64peppergirl
04-07-2014, 09:33 PM
I was given 6 packets a day, one breakfast and 1dinner, 3 unrestricted snack and 1 restricted. I started out with 14 oz of meat and I am down to 11 now. I started at 360 and I am down to 307.6 now (where I have been for 4 or 5 days, lol)

That sounds like a lot of extra food and packets to me also. I started out at 378 pounds and only ever had 3 packets a day and 8 ounces protein at the evening meal plus 2 cups veggies at lunch and at dinner.

kdspirited
04-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Are you following plan 100%?
How long stalled?
A true plateau would be 4-6 weeks with no movement on scale or measuring tape

I know it is frustrating but don't give up. Weight loss isn't linear, there are ebbs and flows

Hi Lisa I have only lost net 1lbs in the last 3-4 weeks and sometimes I gain two and then it goes back to my last lowest weight. I am 99.99% OP its hard for me to say if I am 100% there are days when I dont have my packet in the afternoon because I had meat for lunch. I get all my water in and I have also not lost any inches

JLUS
04-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Hi Lisa I have only lost net 1lbs in the last 3-4 weeks and sometimes I gain two and then it goes back to my last lowest weight. I am 99.99% OP its hard for me to say if I am 100% there are days when I dont have my packet in the afternoon because I had meat for lunch. I get all my water in and I have also not lost any inches

Post a couple days' menus and we can see if there are any tips we can find to help you out!

It is essential to get ALL your packets in... You can have your meat meal at lunch, but then you have your packet at dinner.

Eating TOO LITTLE can also stall weight loss. Counter-intuitive I know, but very true! So are you measuring all veggies and meat (raw), adding your oil on your food (not cooking with it), drinking all water? Also many of our losers eat 3-4 cups lettuce each day which also aids losses.

Try changing up your meat and enjoy a nice steak once a week or so... Often losses will follow the slightly increased fat (though still a lean steak, so not a rib eye!)

CarbLover443
04-08-2014, 12:58 PM
I started at 321 and my coach doesn't allow me any extra packets or protein. I have 3 packets a day, 8 oz protein and 4 cups of veggies. No more than one restricted. In regards to the wafers, are you eating those every day? I thought the wafers were no more than 2x a week.

Ruth Ann
04-08-2014, 01:25 PM
I started at 321 and my coach doesn't allow me any extra packets or protein. I have 3 packets a day, 8 oz protein and 4 cups of veggies. No more than one restricted. In regards to the wafers, are you eating those every day? I thought the wafers were no more than 2x a week.

P1 sheet lists the wafers as restricted to once a day.

pegeye
04-08-2014, 04:49 PM
people will probably disagree with me.. but i was on IP for 3 months.. weight loss stalled and i read that having something higher fat/carb can "surprise" your body and get things moving again. i had ice cream (shame on me i know) and ended up losing 6 pounds that week.

not necessarily recommending to do that but sometimes a change up does the body good.

65X65
04-08-2014, 05:05 PM

Kd- Hi we are close to the same height...and you know how much of a challenge being undertall is on ANY diet...Short in stature...and also the short straw when it comes to this!

When I was getting down I noticed as I hit the 130s...things REALLY slowed down for me. That sounds about right because I believe the dictum is 5lbs for every inch on the weight range scales according to height. (example...some of the charts don't go below 5'...so the formula is to subtract 5lbs per inch to get your range if you are under 5')

My point is you may be hitting that point where the going gets real slow...so don't think it is necessarily anything you are doing or not doing. Exercise (light) might help if you are not doing it yet. Also...depending on your age and hormone status...a lot could be going on. With losing weight estrogen was released ...from the stored fat. Now that is reduced...your own residual hormone levels, water retention and the whole 9 yards of that will possibly change things for you as the last phases of this unfold. I was past all that, and also had a hysterectomy almost 10 yrs ago...so the hormone thing was a moot point for me, but it is a significant player for most of the women on this site.
Patience..and soldier on!! You are really close.

beardude
04-08-2014, 07:41 PM
My meat protein changes from steak, to chicken, to pork (lean chops) to roast beef, and Ground Beef. Strangely enough, my weight losses are usually noticeable the day after eating the ground beef. Maybe it's the little extra fatty meat that changes things up or tricks the body! Coincidence??? Maybe! Maybe not! I would love to be able to eat fish, but I'm not a lover of it, and living in a rural area, it's hard to get fresh fish. Add to this, I'm allergic to some shellfish.

beardude
04-08-2014, 07:46 PM
I have been strictly on plan since I started but for Easter, I'm travelling 7 hours away to the city for a weekend, and I have decided that this is going to be my "Cheat Weekend". Not going overboard or anything, but when going to see friends and going out to eat at restaurants, it's kind of hard to be on a strict diet. So I'm going to make the best choices, but I'm going to indulge a little. I can't wait to have a cheesburger that actually has a bun! I have actually dreamed about bread. Was never a lover of sandwiches, but when you dream about a clubhouse sandwich, you know you would love to have a slice of bread! I gave up pop, chocolate and potato chips without a craving, but would love a piece a bread. Not a lot. One slice would do! bawhaahaha!

kdspirited
04-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Post a couple days' menus and we can see if there are any tips we can find to help you out!

It is essential to get ALL your packets in... You can have your meat meal at lunch, but then you have your packet at dinner.

Eating TOO LITTLE can also stall weight loss. Counter-intuitive I know, but very true! So are you measuring all veggies and meat (raw), adding your oil on your food (not cooking with it), drinking all water? Also many of our losers eat 3-4 cups lettuce each day which also aids losses.

Try changing up your meat and enjoy a nice steak once a week or so... Often losses will follow the slightly increased fat (though still a lean steak, so not a rib eye!)

Chocolate shake (non RTD) for breakfast
Salad for lunch to get my greens in with Olive oil 2tsp
Meat (Chicken, Turkey and occasional Beef) for Dinner with a soup packet
64OZ of water every day

lisa32989
04-08-2014, 09:52 PM
64OZ of water every day

Where's your 3rd packet?

Ruth Ann
04-08-2014, 10:12 PM
64OZ of water every day

Are you eating all four cups of veggies at lunch? That's a lot of veggies in one sitting.

In my opinion, you might try upping your water to 80 oz. I notice if I don't get at least 80 it effects my losses. I aim for a minimum of 100 a day.

Also, having all your 8 oz of protein + a packet for dinner that's a lot of protein in one sitting.

You might try doing the diet the way it is set out on the P1 sheet - 2 cups veggies plus a packet for lunch, 8 oz meat plus 2 cups of veggies for dinner and have your "snack" packet at whatever time works for you. It might help get you back on track.

Ruth Ann
04-08-2014, 10:15 PM
I have been strictly on plan since I started but for Easter, I'm travelling 7 hours away to the city for a weekend, and I have decided that this is going to be my "Cheat Weekend". Not going overboard or anything, but when going to see friends and going out to eat at restaurants, it's kind of hard to be on a strict diet. So I'm going to make the best choices, but I'm going to indulge a little. I can't wait to have a cheesburger that actually has a bun! I have actually dreamed about bread. Was never a lover of sandwiches, but when you dream about a clubhouse sandwich, you know you would love to have a slice of bread! I gave up pop, chocolate and potato chips without a craving, but would love a piece a bread. Not a lot. One slice would do! bawhaahaha!

A "cheat weekend" is not built into the IP protocol. Eating at restaurants and staying OP is not difficult. Order grilled meat with no seasonings and done in olive oil, double veggies, hold the starches. Many people find it very difficult to get back to 100% after a cheat - it really is easy to justify extra cheats after one. Of course, you are an adult and will make your own choices, but you really should consider skipping the cheat and staying 100%.

JLUS
04-08-2014, 10:36 PM
64OZ of water every day

I agree with the couple previous post for you...

Give yourself a couple weeks of 100% of following the plan the way it is laid out. I think you will feel better and experience a true IP loss that better matches your expectations. Your current menu is not truly the IP eating plan and might be working against you!

B - "packet" (meaning any IP food - shake, cereal, bar, etc) coffees or tea if you like
L - packet, 2 cups IP approved veggies measured raw, and you can add lettuce to make it a salad along with your oil
D - 8 oz meat measured raw, 2 cups IP approved veggies
S - Packet (many use the restricted here, but it can be used for any one packet during the day). Also, some prefer the snack earlier in the day

Vitamins and WATER WATER WATER!!

Let us know if you have questions and especially let us know how you are doing!

beardude
04-09-2014, 08:07 AM
A "cheat weekend" is not built into the IP protocol. Eating at restaurants and staying OP is not difficult. Order grilled meat with no seasonings and done in olive oil, double veggies, hold the starches. Many people find it very difficult to get back to 100% after a cheat - it really is easy to justify extra cheats after one. Of course, you are an adult and will make your own choices, but you really should consider skipping the cheat and staying 100%.

I am aware that there is no such thing as a cheat weekend on Ideal Protein. I have read the documentation that goes with the program. I said I was travelling to a town 7 hours away for the weekend. I put cheat weekend in quotation marks to add emphasis. I am not going out shopping all day and going into some business asking them to use their microwave so I can warm up my chocolate drink in a shaker. Please! And I am aware that you can order grilled meat with no seasoning, etc. But not every eating establishment has grilled meat, like steak, on the menu. And there are lots who do not have the types of vegetables you are allowed to eat while on plan. And believe it or not, not every restaurant will bend to your wants and give you extra vegetables. If your's do, good for you. And yes, I am an adult, so I will use my judgement as to what I eat. As I said, I won't be going overboard, but I will indulge a little, and once the weekend is over, I will be back on plan, 100%, as always. I have no problem with those who stick 100% to their plan. Good for you. I have several friends and acquaintances who were on the program, have lost the weight they wanted, and "cheated" along the way. I never cheated, but I am still on my journey. I will change it from "cheat" to a treat! I am going to treat myself for nearly 4 months of strict diet.

JLUS
04-09-2014, 08:43 AM
Since the chosen TOPIC of this thread is "Weight Loss Stalled" and the original post requested assistance and suggestions as to why weight loss had stalled when he should be losing, I think it is perfectly reasonable that accurate and solid advice was given as to how best to stay on IP when eating out at restaurants.

Many people who are new to IP and are reading this thread are also very wary of eating at restaurants. They often think it cannot be done and either avoid it altogether or use it as a reason to go off plan. Those of us who respond to posts (any posts) want to be sure everyone reading them has an accurate idea of how to stay on IP in a variety of situations.

I think it is quite IMPORTANT to point out that it is easy to eat out by asking for grilled meat even though it is not offered that way on the MENU! (Just about every restaurant has a chicken breast and a grill, even if they don't have steak) and I haven't found a restaurant (other than fast food, which I am sure you are not referring to) that doesn't have broccoli, or zucchini or green beans or salad as a veggie choice. I also personally have NEVER been to a restaurant that would not omit the side starch and give me two servings of veggies... Not always equal to two cups, but close enough!!

So try to remember that responses to posts are meant to inform EVERYONE who may read them, not just the original poster.

Ruth Ann
04-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Since the chosen TOPIC of this thread is "Weight Loss Stalled" and the original post requested assistance and suggestions as to why weight loss had stalled when he should be losing, I think it is perfectly reasonable that accurate and solid advice was given as to how best to stay on IP when eating out at restaurants.

Many people who are new to IP and are reading this thread are also very wary of eating at restaurants. They often think it cannot be done and either avoid it altogether or use it as a reason to go off plan. Those of us who respond to posts (any posts) want to be sure everyone reading them has an accurate idea of how to stay on IP in a variety of situations.

I think it is quite IMPORTANT to point out that it is easy to eat out by asking for grilled meat even though it is not offered that way on the MENU! (Just about every restaurant has a chicken breast and a grill, even if they don't have steak) and I haven't found a restaurant (other than fast food, which I am sure you are not referring to) that doesn't have broccoli, or zucchini or green beans or salad as a veggie choice. I also personally have NEVER been to a restaurant that would not omit the side starch and give me two servings of veggies... Not always equal to two cups, but close enough!!

So try to remember that responses to posts are meant to inform EVERYONE who may read them, not just the original poster.

Thank you JLUS! That is a great post. Pre-planning has gotten me through many a trip and occasion successfully. The travel threads that were recently bumped are chock full of great advice for staying OP while on the road.

kdspirited
04-09-2014, 03:41 PM
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. I will try and stay 100% OP and report back. I feel as my stomach is shrunk i have a hard time taking all my 8OZ of meat in one sitting. I was splitting it up between lunch and dinner. That is why I was skipping an extra packet in the afternoon. I will switch it back but I might gag after my first 4OZ of meat :-)

beardude
04-09-2014, 04:48 PM
I thank you for your advice. But I have to disagree with you on at least one point. It may be great for where you live that you have restaurants that have an abundance of fresh vegetables on their menu. When I am asked out for dinner by a friend, it's not always at a major chain steakhouse or something. As a matter of fact, a major, well known, rib/chicken/steak place here in my area, has no vegetables that I am allowed to eat, on their menu. Their sides are rice (Can't eat), Corn (Can't eat), Beans (Can't eat), Coleslaw which is loaded with carrot (Can't eat), Sweet Potato Fries (Can't eat) Mashed Potato (Can't eat) ... get the picture! lol! It might be fine if you are in middle America, where vegetables are available, many locally. I live on an island in Canada and fresh produce, of any great variety, is hard to come by. As a matter of fact, due to severe ice conditions in the gulf, many major grocery stores in my area, have been nearly out of fresh produce because, the produce was stuck on the other side of the gulf. The ferries were stuck in the ice between provinces, and the semi trucks brings fresh produce and meats, etc, have been backed up for nearly a week or more. There is always more than meets the eye when someone post a comment. I am going to do my best to stay on plan, but when times arise, I will make the best option, even if it means going off plan, for a day or two. If I variate from the plan, and get out of ketosis for a day or two, it will only be a couple days or so to get back in ketosis, once I start back on plan, the same as when I started. And from my readings, some people take a lot to get them out of ketosis in the first place. I am going to do what my coach told me when I asked...sometimes you have to make the best out of a bad situation and try to choose the best option.

Tisado
04-09-2014, 05:17 PM
I..... But I have to I am going to do what my coach told me when I asked...sometimes you have to make the best out of a bad situation and try to choose the best option.

Yep, sometimes you just have to fake it.

Hang in there, the ice has to melt someday...
:hug:

JLUS
04-09-2014, 06:37 PM
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. I will try and stay 100% OP and report back. I feel as my stomach is shrunk i have a hard time taking all my 8OZ of meat in one sitting. I was splitting it up between lunch and dinner. That is why I was skipping an extra packet in the afternoon. I will switch it back but I might gag after my first 4OZ of meat :-)

KD - just to clarify... You CAN eat part of your meat at lunch and part at dinner if you like, but you STILL need the three packets per day. The menu you listed showed no packet or meat at lunch and showed both meat and a packet at dinner. Review the actual protocol, and use that but go ahead and have 2-4 oz of your meat protein with lunch along with a packet... Or do that at dinner. Bottom line is you need three packets, 2 cup plus 2 cup veg and 8 oz meat/protein (divided is ok)!

Hope that clarifies!

mars735
04-09-2014, 07:37 PM
sometimes you have to make the best out of a bad situation and try to choose the best option.

I think that this is the secret to success in the long run. I'm in awe that you are coming out of a long, dark, & cold winter with your impressive success... let alone the issues with produce. Far to the south of you, near latitude 38, I get very moody in the winter and really struggle to keep from self-medicating with carbs.

kdspirited
04-10-2014, 12:26 PM
KD - just to clarify... You CAN eat part of your meat at lunch and part at dinner if you like, but you STILL need the three packets per day. The menu you listed showed no packet or meat at lunch and showed both meat and a packet at dinner. Review the actual protocol, and use that but go ahead and have 2-4 oz of your meat protein with lunch along with a packet... Or do that at dinner. Bottom line is you need three packets, 2 cup plus 2 cup veg and 8 oz meat/protein (divided is ok)!

Hope that clarifies!

Thanks JLUS its clear now. I was not having my packet in the afternoon because I was taking meat with my salad. But I now understand I have to take in that extra packet even if I add meat to my salad.

JLUS
04-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Thanks JLUS its clear now. I was not having my packet in the afternoon because I was taking meat with my salad. But I now understand I have to take in that extra packet even if I add meat to my salad.

Correct... Thought it is not an "extra" packet... You still do two unrestricted and one restricted. You can have your full 8ox of meat at lunch w/veggies and THEN have packet and veggies at dinner. If you decide to split the meat between two meals, you still would have the packet at one of the meals (your choice which one, though most have it at lunch when splitting the meat serving.)

I think you got it now! ;)

Bellamack
04-10-2014, 01:32 PM
really after reading all this, the bottom line is you are losing an average of
5 lbs/week. how awesome is that?

drd1961
04-10-2014, 05:13 PM
I think the problem is that people post on this board and say they are not losing, they do not understand. When they show what they are eating, and it is not IP protocol(for whatever reason good or not) and people point that out, they get defensive.

I say own it. If you are not following the protocol because you don't want to or cannot because of your life situation at least own the fact that at times your weight loss will not be as good as when you follow it as it is laid out. But don't complain when it does not work as well as you think it should if you as an adult made the decision to not follow it. I am not sure I would pick this diet if fresh veggies were not available to me. I live on them and look forward to my two big salads everyday.

beardude
04-11-2014, 08:05 AM
I think the problem is that people post on this board and say they are not losing, they do not understand. When they show what they are eating, and it is not IP protocol(for whatever reason good or not) and people point that out, they get defensive.

I say own it. If you are not following the protocol because you don't want to or cannot because of your life situation at least own the fact that at times your weight loss will not be as good as when you follow it as it is laid out. But don't complain when it does not work as well as you think it should if you as an adult made the decision to not follow it. I am not sure I would pick this diet if fresh veggies were not available to me. I live on them and look forward to my two big salads everyday.

Speaking for myself, I am on protocol, 100%, since I started. When I spoke about the vegetables being scarce, I never said I had no access to vegetables. I spoke about the variety. I have eaten Brocolli, Turnip, Spinach, Peppers, and mushrooms, every day since I started. I have followed this protocol to the letter. I did say, that eating out is not always as easy as it might be in some other areas. I gave an example of a big famous name eating establishment (which I am not going to name, but let's say it's nation wide.) None of the vege on the menu are on the IP plan. I am now ever so sorry, I even mentioned about going away for the weekend and having to eat out. I am learning that there are times you should just keep things to yourself instead of finding someone to talk to. I am thankful for the people that have offered support and advice, but there are some people who have lost weight, who are like reformed smokers. They forget where they come from and that they used to smoke and enjoy it, and had their struggles kicking the habit, and now they look down on a smoker who is having trouble quitting. If you have lost weight successfully and followed your weight loss plan to the letter, good for you. But try to help and encourage others that may be struggling or having difficulties along the way, instead of having the attitude 'follow protocol, or what do you expect'! That's not really helpful. This is not geared to anyone in particular, but after reading through many posts there are those people who seem to think, if I could do it, why can't you!

I'm done!

drd1961
04-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Speaking for myself, I am on protocol, 100%, since I started. When I spoke about the vegetables being scarce, I never said I had no access to vegetables. I spoke about the variety. I have eaten Brocolli, Turnip, Spinach, Peppers, and mushrooms, every day since I started. I have followed this protocol to the letter. I did say, that eating out is not always as easy as it might be in some other areas. I gave an example of a big famous name eating establishment (which I am not going to name, but let's say it's nation wide.) None of the vege on the menu are on the IP plan. I am now ever so sorry, I even mentioned about going away for the weekend and having to eat out. I am learning that there are times you should just keep things to yourself instead of finding someone to talk to. I am thankful for the people that have offered support and advice, but there are some people who have lost weight, who are like reformed smokers. They forget where they come from and that they used to smoke and enjoy it, and had their struggles kicking the habit, and now they look down on a smoker who is having trouble quitting. If you have lost weight successfully and followed your weight loss plan to the letter, good for you. But try to help and encourage others that may be struggling or having difficulties along the way, instead of having the attitude 'follow protocol, or what do you expect'! That's not really helpful. This is not geared to anyone in particular, but after reading through many posts there are those people who seem to think, if I could do it, why can't you!

I'm done!

I said if you do not follow protocol and for instance go to a restaurant that you cannot follow plan then own it. It is a choice you make, and it may be the right choice for you. But then you cannot come back and say the plan does not work. That said, there is indeed stalls that happen when a person is fully compliant and it is difficult to work through. Weight loss most certainly is not an exact science.

I would never ever look down on someone who is struggling but I do get frustrated when someone asks for help and then turns around and rejects everything(not saying this is you, this is in general). So looking at it from that end, can you see that people get frustrated just as you may get frustrated with the all or nothing attitude.

Ruth Ann
04-11-2014, 09:32 AM

I'm done!

You know, all of us have faced struggles while losing weight, you are not the only one who has issues. You got solid advice and suggestions, and you can take whatever you want from that.

Part way through my weight loss it was discovered that I had a major hernia that had to be repaired. In preparation I was put on a very strict diet - there were about 4 IP approved veggies I could eat and only if they were peeled and cooked to death. No raw veggies at all. It sucked and was hard to do, but I did it. Because my health is my priority right now and that includes getting the weight off and keeping it off. I stayed 100% through 2 surgeries and hospital stays.

You may have life circumstances that make it more difficult to follow IP 100% but you can do it if you set your mind to it. All of us here want everyone to succeed. You may not like the advice and suggestions but stick around awhile and you'll see that this is an incredibly supportive community and people are genuinely concerned for the members.

Best of luck to you.

beardude
04-11-2014, 10:02 AM
From the beginning I never said once that the plan was not working for me. As of today, I am down 58 pounds since January of this year. I am extremely pleased with my progress so far. I started this thread because I was consistently losing weight and for a week or so, I seemed to slow down to a standstill. I mentioned that I was a little discouraged. Someone gave me some good advice which helped me feel better about it. Somewhere during the conversation I made a comment that I was going away for a weekend, to visit family, and mentioned that I would be making it a cheat weekend. I am intelligent enough to know there is no cheat weekend on Ideal protein plan. That was the choice "I" was going to make, not anyone else. My coach told me in those situations when you are eating out, to make the best choices you can, but sometimes, you don't have a choice. It then snowballed, so to speak.
I am aware, as an adult, that the choices I make, are my own. Of course! Kind of ridiculous to think otherwise. I never asked for help in the beginning. I asked for information basically. As I am new to this, I didn't know if the fluctuation in weight loss was common or not. When one is consistently losing weight, and then slows or stops with no change to protocol what so ever,for the first time, I didn't know if it was normal. And from the postings, I seen that a couple other people were having the same questions. I was thought in school, that no question is stupid if you don't know the answer. That's why I posted, hoping for info, and not to be belittled (not saying that you or anyone did this), as if someone doesn't know anything. I don't think anyone who is on a weightloss journey, is living in a world where they think they are not responsible for their actions. If they are, the issues go deeper than a weight problem. I had hoped, and still do, that a site like this would be there to encourage everyone and answer questions. This is not directed at anyone, and no offense is intended. At least that's not my intention. The frustration is not a one sided thing! :)

IPSue
04-11-2014, 10:14 AM
First, congratulations on amazing losses everyone! Beardude: 58 lbs is something to be very proud of! Kudos to you!! I think you can be completely OP and still see minimal results on the scale. I've been doing IP for 6 weeks and lost 16 lbs as of this AM, but last week I only lost .5 and the week before .8 with no deviation at all. I kept with it (through a week of grumpiness that had my family wishing I'd eat a bag of chips, have a glass or 2 of wine and get back to normal cheerful me!!) and lost almost 3 lbs this week. Spring is VERY slow arriving here and I think my body was reluctant to get rid of winter insulation LOL! It is really hard not to be discouraged when the scales don't reflect the "sacrifices" we think we are making, but I'm determined to stick with it. We can do this!!! Happy Friday everyone!

mars735
04-11-2014, 10:19 AM

I'm done!

I truly regret that you did not experience the 3FC support experience. Your results speak for themselves. I hope you'll try again sometime, and keep reading, at least. And maybe use the constructive caution as an angel on your shoulder as you venture forth to the restaurant :) Some of the advice probably stems from the concern that an off program choice is a potential slippery slope. Many of us have dieted in the past and been there done that!

As for eating out, my 2 cents is to really enjoy that slice of bread & prepare your mind ahead of time to set a limit, then go back to OP as soon as you can. It's more important to get back in the game mentally. Enjoy observing the bread affects you--it's information! Weight-loss-wise, the worst that could happen is that your weight loss might slow down, or you could get out of ketosis, and have to go through re-entry. Behaviorally, it's whether you might be triggered to stray further from IP than just the one-time item--that's what to prepare for. You coach can be a big help--is it possible to check in by phone or text before the meal?

On the other hand, eating off program in a limited way has sometimes resulted in bumping up the metabolism for a good weight loss, for some people. If you track your food, you can see that the slice of bread will be significantly higher-than usual in carbs. So how your body reacts will react is unknown. You might experience some of the carb-insulin roller coaster. It's more important, imho to make sure your head stays focused--you have an impressive record of success against which this is one blip.

I had a few times when I went off program and as long as I went right back, the weight loss hummed along. The tricky part is whether that slice of bread will trigger you to want more more more. In P3 & P4, you might also face this, so it's a preview (lol) from which to learn about yourself. One other suggestion: if you have a choice about the bread, go for something that's a 5-6/10 on a scale of appeal rather than something absolutely delicious that will be harder to limit. Good luck!

beardude
04-11-2014, 10:36 AM
:)

beardude
04-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Thank you Mars735. That's my thoughts too!

kaylynt
04-11-2014, 11:30 AM
The tricky part is whether that slice of bread will trigger you to want more more more. In P3 & P4, you might also face this, so it's a preview (lol) from which to learn about yourself. One other suggestion: if you have a choice about the bread, go for something that's a 5-6/10 on a scale of appeal rather than something absolutely delicious that will be harder to limit. Good luck!

Well said. Thanks for the advice. My problem is one thing leads to another and then I can't get back OP.

beardude
04-11-2014, 11:34 AM
I am pretty good when it comes to will power. I quit smoking cold turkey. I also gave up my diet soda when I started this program cold turkey. That in itself, is amazing in my mind. I was adamant that I was not giving it up. But stopped the day I started the program and haven't had any since! I don't think I have a problem with having a piece of bread or something like a dish of pasta and getting back on plan! :)

mars735
04-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Well said. Thanks for the advice. My problem is one thing leads to another and then I can't get back OP.

Someone on another thread linked an interesting article about abstainers & moderators. You sound like me: a obligate abstainer! I'll try to find and post the link when I get home from work this afternoon.

Another thing that helps me to get back OP is to avoid recrimination and beating myself up about what I ate, and I absolutely do not overcorrect by extra-rigorous dieting after a slip--both trigger more slips. It's more effective to be self-compassionate about the slips, and leave room for non-judgemental curiosity--what's going on inside that led to or triggered them?

mars735
04-11-2014, 11:49 AM
I am pretty good when it comes to will power. I quit smoking cold turkey. I also gave up my diet soda when I started this program cold turkey. That in itself, is amazing in my mind. I was adamant that I was not giving it up. But stopped the day I started the program and haven't had any since! I don't think I have a problem with having a piece of bread or something like a dish of pasta and getting back on plan! :)

Maybe that puts you into the moderator category (she said wistfully, lol)! Being a devil's advocate, I would offer this thought: giving up cigs & soft drinks ARE major feats of will power. Eating a little of a favorite-type food might actually be more difficult, though, because it isn't an all-or-none proposition. Rooting for you either way! :carrot::cb:

beardude
04-11-2014, 12:00 PM
lol! True! Not going to say that bread is a favorite food of mine. Before the diet I could do without it, but since I've been on plan, it has been my only craving. Not a constant craving, but occasional. Would love to have a burger with a actually bun! lol! Sick of using lettuce leaves to trick myself into holding my burger patty like a real burger! bawhahaha!

beardude
04-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Seen this on a website...

There’s no right way or wrong way–it’s just a matter of knowing which strategy works better for you. If moderators try to abstain, they feel trapped and rebellious. If abstainers try to be moderate, they spend a lot of precious energy justifying why they should go ahead and indulge.

You’re a moderator if you…
– find that occasional indulgence heightens your pleasure–and strengthens your resolve
– get panicky at the thought of “never” getting or doing something

You’re an abstainer if you…
– have trouble stopping something once you’ve started
– aren’t tempted by things that you’ve decided are off-limits

mars735
04-11-2014, 12:09 PM
lol! True! Not going to say that bread is a favorite food of mine. Before the diet I could do without it, but since I've been on plan, it has been my only craving. Not a constant craving, but occasional. Would love to have a burger with a actually bun! lol! Sick of using lettuce leaves to trick myself into holding my burger patty like a real burger! bawhahaha!

lol....I'm with you on that, and I have many many more things like that in my head. That's our brains trying to trick us into eating more carbs! But in a way, I think a crispy leaf of lettuce might really taste better than stale white hamburger bun, if I subtracted out the forbidden appeal of the bun.

My remedy is to try on clothes and revel in how lose the old one are! Always celebrate success--it leads to more success!

drd1961
04-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Seen this on a website...

There’s no right way or wrong way–it’s just a matter of knowing which strategy works better for you. If moderators try to abstain, they feel trapped and rebellious. If abstainers try to be moderate, they spend a lot of precious energy justifying why they should go ahead and indulge.

You’re a moderator if you…
– find that occasional indulgence heightens your pleasure–and strengthens your resolve
– get panicky at the thought of “never” getting or doing something

You’re an abstainer if you…
– have trouble stopping something once you’ve started
– aren’t tempted by things that you’ve decided are off-limits

This is interesting. Thank you.

kdspirited
04-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Correct... Thought it is not an "extra" packet... You still do two unrestricted and one restricted. You can have your full 8ox of meat at lunch w/veggies and THEN have packet and veggies at dinner. If you decide to split the meat between two meals, you still would have the packet at one of the meals (your choice which one, though most have it at lunch when splitting the meat serving.)

I think you got it now! ;)

YUP got it :carrot: I miss quoted extra I meant my regular 3rd packet. I have been following the routine for two days to the T. Lets see what happens so far I have gained 2lbs :-)

Hope it levels out

dak1lls
04-11-2014, 07:06 PM

I quit smoking "cold turkey" as well, many years ago. I think I substituted food, which is partly why I ended up fat! Big shocker. lol. I see you quit diet soda at the time you started IP, did you quit smoking at the same time? I gotta hand it to you, that takes some dedication.

As for bread and pasta. Once I began maintenance I started indulging in some bread and pasta, and boy did I end up with cravings! I think some people are more carb sensitive than others. I felt like a junkie that needed a fix. I found out I can't eat that stuff. Kind of a bummer, but I have come to the realization that there are other things I can have and I do feel so much better. I also started eating more of a Paleo diet and that gives me some goodies that are better for me and don't set me up for cravings.

Good luck to you on your IP journey. I am so excited to see how well you do. 58 lbs is awesome. When I started I couldn't imagine getting to goal, and now I feel like a new person. I am happy for you just knowing how you will feel when you get to that point and look back and realize, "hey, that really didn't take so long!" and "dang, I look good!" Don't get too discouraged by the minor stall. It is completely normal and it will pass.

:)

kdspirited
04-12-2014, 01:19 AM

DRD I think you should understand that people come to this forum to find strength, guidance and in some cases solace. Demonizing them for asking a question is not only unfair but also a little condescending.
We all appreciate help that we get here and should be encouraged to ask instead of following bad protocol. That is sometimes all it takes to learn from others experiences and get back on track. Its not about owning or denouncing anything sometimes its just about reaching out to keep yourself in check. Some of us have lives and circumstances that does not always allow us to be in ideal situations all the time. Please encourage people to ask questions and express themselves and try to be less judgemental

drd1961
04-12-2014, 06:14 AM
DRD I think you should understand that people come to this forum to find strength, guidance and in some cases solace. Demonizing them for asking a question is not only unfair but also a little condescending.
We all appreciate help that we get here and should be encouraged to ask instead of following bad protocol. That is sometimes all it takes to learn from others experiences and get back on track. Its not about owning or denouncing anything sometimes its just about reaching out to keep yourself in check. Some of us have lives and circumstances that does not always allow us to be in ideal situations all the time. Please encourage people to ask questions and express themselves and try to be less judgemental

Yes, and people offer help and when everything offered is rejected? That is the problem I see sometimes.

Again, what I said is NOT demonizing or judgmental but matter of fact. It is taking responsibility for ones actions. What you do has consequences. I actually like bear's little blurb about two different type of people because it explains how one person can bend the rules a bit and be ok and another person bends the rules and it ruins things. That is why it is helpful to have the two threads, 90% and 100% and a person has to examine themselves and determine where they belong and also after a time examine what they are doing and be honest with themselves about if it is working and be WILLING to change if it is not. This diet is very much about changing and if a person cannot change what they are doing that made them fat, they will not succeed. This is not preachy, condescending, but what we all should be looking at. If I, you, anyone does not change, and continue to monitor that change and work at keeping this change, I, you, anyone will continue to be fat. A little honesty with ourselves is needed.

Ruth Ann
04-12-2014, 08:05 AM
Yes, and people offer help and when everything offered is rejected? That is the problem I see sometimes.

Again, what I said is NOT demonizing or judgmental but matter of fact. It is taking responsibility for ones actions. What you do has consequences. I actually like bear's little blurb about two different type of people because it explains how one person can bend the rules a bit and be ok and another person bends the rules and it ruins things. That is why it is helpful to have the two threads, 90% and 100% and a person has to examine themselves and determine where they belong and also after a time examine what they are doing and be honest with themselves about if it is working and be WILLING to change if it is not. This diet is very much about changing and if a person cannot change what they are doing that made them fat, they will not succeed. This is not preachy, condescending, but what we all should be looking at. If I, you, anyone does not change, and continue to monitor that change and work at keeping this change, I, you, anyone will continue to be fat. A little honesty with ourselves is needed.

:cp: Spot on drd!

kdspirited - drd is one of the most helpful and supportive posters we have. I've never seen her be judgmental or condescending but rather very straightforward and honest - with others and herself.

The problem with a forum such as this is you cannot read tone in the words. It's always best to just assume that the poster giving advice has good intentions and is trying to help until proven otherwise.

lisa32989
04-12-2014, 08:18 AM
What I see is this thread has lost it's titled focus.

It started out as a concern about a "stall".

Then it became about a planned cheat.

The strange thing to me is the OP started both topics. I don't usually see someone who is hugely worried about WL slowdowns then , almost in the next breath, plan a cheat, which is sure to cause a slowdown.

Then when people who have managed to stay OP, even when eating out, offer advice for how to stay OP, they get told off and told they have demonized the OP (I didn't see anyone demonizing), and told they aren't being supportive when support for staying OP is exactly what is being offered.

So, if the thread isn't about a stall anymore, I suggest the OP close it.

beardude
04-12-2014, 10:53 AM
I didn't know that you weren't allowed to have conversations that changed over the course of a thread. I'm sorry I even posted. I am beginning to think it's better to just leave and have nothing more to do with the board. I came here looking for info, and someone to talk to. I've been on other boards before and there was never so much strictness with regards to the conversations that are involved, as long as it doesn't go against rules, with regards to defamation, legal issues, etc. Personally, if I seen a thread went off the lines as to the original post, I have the option to not post on or follow the thread, or just ignore it and keep my mouth shut! There are a lot of conversations that I seen that was of no interest to me, so I didn't post or give my opinion. A conversation thread can evolve. It's not like anyone is passing out medical advice here. But if that's the way some of you want it, so be it. Guess it works for you! If some of you think you don't demonize or make some feel less than, for not having the same opinion as you, you are wrong. Don't blame someone else for being offended, or whatever you call it, because you can't post in a way that appears helpful, rather than posting as if you are talking to a child that knows nothing. I'm sorry, but I am offended by some of these posts here. Guess I'll go look elsewhere for advice and support!

beardude
04-12-2014, 10:59 AM
I also never said I was worried about the slowdown. I said I was a little discouraged and didn't know if it was normal. That is all I asked. A nice person here messaged me and told me that it was normal, and that most everyone goes through it at some point or another. Thank you to that person. If only everyone was so helpful in a non-condescending way. Another member PM'd me and told me about the 90% thread. Thank you! I wasn't aware of that thread. Wish I had asked there instead of the main area. Hopefully the 90% are more accepting of peoples opinions, and open to meaningful conversation.

mars735
04-12-2014, 11:34 AM
I agree with you. Word choices with religious overtones such as "clean" eating with regard to protocol have become all too common on this forum. Some people are apparently threatened by merely reading of others' way of doing IP. Circle the wagons! Other sinners feel free to friend me at MyFitnessPal username mars735.

kdspirited
04-12-2014, 12:47 PM
:cp: Spot on drd!

kdspirited - drd is one of the most helpful and supportive posters we have. I've never seen her be judgmental or condescending but rather very straightforward and honest - with others and herself.

The problem with a forum such as this is you cannot read tone in the words. It's always best to just assume that the poster giving advice has good intentions and is trying to help until proven otherwise.

I dont disagree that people offer help on this forum. But offering help with the expectation that people will follow it. And if someone doesn't it offends them because they expect the other person to respond right away. There are a lot of people on this forum who offer help without being judgmental. You are also correct Ruth Ann. It is all about the choice of words. The way you choose them conveys your message plenty. It has nothing to do with tone.

I feel if you are easily offended by choices people make while being on this diet then you shouldn't be offering advise. There are a lot of people who may or may not choose to follow it and that is OK. The consequences are on them

kdspirited
04-12-2014, 12:51 PM

DRD that is exactly it if you are offering help with the intention that people will follow it verbatim and if they don't it easily offends you. Then I think your expectation are too high. I don't think people will conform to how you expect them to behave. They will do what they choose and you can choose to be here to help without expectations or not.

kdspirited
04-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Just to make DRD feel better I am following the advise I was given here to the T.

Just saying I added my packet water boarding myself to death, measuring my veggies and keeping my fingers crossed

drd1961
04-12-2014, 01:09 PM
I am not offended if my advise isn't taken. No big deal. You folks were the one who took offense when I asked that people take ownership and accept consequences. I am honestly the least pretentious person in the world. Things really do roll of my shoulders and there is so many many things in life that are much harder to deal with then this forum. I guess my problem is honesty and I should just not say anything because it seems to come off much harsher than I mean. If someone tells me to accept the conseequences of my actions, I say OK I will. I thought it was a good thing to say, but it seems it is not.

Anyway, I am on the road(hubbies turn to drive) and it is a beautiful day. I hope everyone can enjoy this weekend like I am.