Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 11:09 PM   #1  
A pound lost is a gain!

S/C/G: 265/194.5/170

Height: 5'7"

Question Low carb did not work - any suggestions?

I have been on a low carb plan for a year now. The first two months I lost 20 pounds and then nothing for the last 10 months. I have been very deligent and not cheated thinking that sooner or later things would start up again and I would see a loss in pounds or inches. I am throwing in the towel and admitting that low carb is not what my body wants. I am thinking that maybe low fat is more the way to go.
Has anyone else had my experience and what did you switch to? I should mention that I started at 255 lbs. and think I need to be at 170 lbs. to even be half way in range of a healthy body.
Thanks for any advice you can offer.

jakebabe
Old 07-17-2003, 01:39 AM   #2  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Not everyone is carb sensitive, that is why low carb isn't the absolute answer for everyone. Low fat can do very well for you as long as you don't spend your days eating fat free cookies and potato chips.

Good luck, and don't throw in that towel quite yet!
Old 07-17-2003, 03:17 AM   #3  
Dancing those pounds away

I agree with Andria... no one plan is right for everyone.
Don't throw in the towel. If you feel good on low carb but just not getting results... you may want to try that theory from WW.

They suggest bouncing your points range. One day low points then the next day HIGH point range. Then the next day middle of the road. I know seveal low carbers who do the same thing with low carbs. They eat lower range for a week or two.. then two or three days HIGH range. They keep their body guessing. It may be that your always staying on a level range made your body more complacent. Hope that makes some sense. In short... maybe try eating some higher fat food choices and then several days with lower fats.

Good luck with whatever plan you choose.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:03 AM   #4  

I am on a cal and fat counting program and have lost 90 lbs since Jan of this year. If this may be something you want to try, go to www.dietitian.com and click on her calculator on the top left I think it is. Answer the questions and it will tell you how much cal and fat to take in to lose either 1 or 2 lbs a week. (what is recommended safe!) Good luck to you and definitely find a thread to post on ! The support is great here!

Faye
Old 07-17-2003, 11:23 AM   #5  
Empress/Queen

I agree, no one plan is right for everyone. Your doc or nutritionist should be your guide, but for me just counting calories and exercising seems to be the simplest and most effective approach.

There are many goals people pursue, but for weight loss, whatever anyone says, it is my opinion (and a law of physics) that it's energy in-energy out that matters. If you create a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. It's that simple, although there are a number of factors that affect how many calories you are burning and therefore affect the calories-out part. The calories-in part are solely under your control!

Weight Watchers, again in my opinion, is a great plan for manipulating calories and encouraging healthy eating habits, which are important for general health, but you COULD lose weight on chocolate pie if you ate the correct amount of calories for weight loss.

Maybe toggling between plans for awhile will give your weight loss a jumpstart and give you an idea what's working for you?
Old 07-17-2003, 11:26 AM   #6  
Empress/Queen

P.S. Thanks for posting the link, Faye! That's a great site! I'm bookmarking it for later.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:29 AM   #7  
The ever shrinking woman!

I like a combo between WW and www.fitday.com (calorie and fat counter)

good luck! and Faye, I am going to check out your link too, I love stuff like this, I figure the more information you gather and calculate, the better off you are
Closed Thread