Ideal Protein Diet - IP Daily Chat Thursday 3/27/2014

View Full Version : IP Daily Chat Thursday 3/27/2014

lisa32989
03-27-2014, 08:02 AM
:welcome2:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on plan

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/243142-have-question-about-ip-read-here-first-before-posting-question.html): Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads,
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html)and here are the most recent Ideal Protein Protocol sheets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4701599-post49.html)

And before you cheat, read this thread:
The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/221536-real-cost-cheating-ideal-protein.html)

Before starting new threads: spend some time reading the forum. Most new threads are duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates. Folks who are the most successful, make time for research/reading.

More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow.html)
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268669-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-volumn-2-a.html)
Fun with Ideal Protein Packets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212175-fun-ideal-protein-packets.html)
Fun with Veggie Purees! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html)
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/273856-ideal-protein-diet-recipes-4-a.html)
Tips and Recipes from the Incredible Weight Loss Center (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270950-ideal-protein-tips-recipes-incredible-weight-loss-center.html)

For those looking for alternative products
Here is a thread with tons of info. Spend some time in it. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270731-alternative-products-will-work-phase-1-a.html
And here is a link to a chart (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4677467-post240.html) to help you choose appropriate products

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcements-forum-help/203435-ultimate-one-stop-signature-ticker-thread-read-here-if-you-have-questions.html) for more information and instructions.

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427715-post155.html) Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos
Mini-Goal Photo Album (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/).

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website (http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19)

sweetenuf
03-27-2014, 08:31 AM
Good Morning :)
So I am going to start booking our family cruise today. We are planning it for August. Im excited due to the fact that I know I will be smaller and Ill really get to enjoy this vacation.
But has anyone done a cruise and been able to take IP packets with you to stay OP?

drd1961
03-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Not a cruise, but have traveled. Shaker and packets travel easy and add some tupperware and use available microwaves and you are good.

drd1961
03-27-2014, 08:35 AM
The show opens tonight!! Good thing because I am tired. Oh to be young again and handle this schedule.

sweetenuf
03-27-2014, 08:40 AM
In June we have rented a beach house so I know I will continue to stay OP no problem cause I can stock fridge with my veggies and continue what Im doing.
I just imagine them being like the airlines lol no outside drinks on board....

Ruth Ann
03-27-2014, 08:41 AM
The show opens tonight!! Good thing because I am tired. Oh to be young again and handle this schedule.

Good luck on the show! I'll bet all your hard work pays off in a wonderful production!

TurtleMom
03-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Good Morning :)
So I am going to start booking our family cruise today. We are planning it for August. Im excited due to the fact that I know I will be smaller and Ill really get to enjoy this vacation.
But has anyone done a cruise and been able to take IP packets with you to stay OP?

That sounds like fun! Could you contact the cruise line and ask about special dietary needs? I'm looking forward to our summer trip -we only see this side of the family once a year, so I'm expecting they will be surprised to see the change in me :)

Best wishes for a glorious opening night!

TurtleMom
03-27-2014, 08:57 AM
Good morning!

We're finally heading into some warmer weather. I may even be able to open my windows this weekend :carrot: Next official WI is this afternoon, but I'm not worried. These hips don't lie & they are sliding into smaller pants with ease. My waist on the other hand.......

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing -that's why we recommend it daily. ~Zig Ziglar

sweetenuf
03-27-2014, 09:01 AM
Good morning!

We're finally heading into some warmer weather. I may even be able to open my windows this weekend :carrot: Next official WI is this afternoon, but I'm not worried. These hips don't lie & they are sliding into smaller pants with ease. My waist on the other hand.......

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing -that's why we recommend it daily. ~Zig Ziglar

Good luck today at WI....let us know how it goes :)

I will ask today about the cruise and let y'all know what they say.

sarahBell
03-27-2014, 09:17 AM
We are taking a trip to Dallas in 3.5 weeks. Can you give me an idea as to what the weather is like down there at the end of April? This winter has been rough all over and is still hanging on up here in MN BUT does it tend to be warmer down there?

ALl I have are sweaters so if it is getting warm there I need some new clothes LOL.

Jillybee123
03-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Survived Day 1, feeling OK. Did NOT like the maple oatmeal, so did a quick change to a drink. I did wake up with dark circles under my eyes. I never have dark circles, anyone else get this? I searched but didn't find anything, so maybe unrelated. Thanks everyone, have a great IP day

Indygal
03-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Just wondering which is best...measuring your veggies before or after cooking. Any suggestions?

danilynn
03-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Just wondering which is best...measuring your veggies before or after cooking. Any suggestions?

Before... always before!!! same goes for your meats too :)

danilynn
03-27-2014, 10:28 AM
We are taking a trip to Dallas in 3.5 weeks. Can you give me an idea as to what the weather is like down there at the end of April? This winter has been rough all over and is still hanging on up here in MN BUT does it tend to be warmer down there?

ALl I have are sweaters so if it is getting warm there I need some new clothes LOL.

HA! Girl, this is Tx.. apparently we can experience all 4 seasons in 1 day!

I would say it would be mild 80's and maybe some spring showers. Usually april is our wet season with thunderstorms or Tornados!

sarahBell
03-27-2014, 10:58 AM
HA! Girl, this is Tx.. apparently we can experience all 4 seasons in 1 day!

I would say it would be mild 80's and maybe some spring showers. Usually april is our wet season with thunderstorms or Tornados!

Ok then cooler clothes for me LOL. In MN we can have all 4 seasons in 1 day also, if you don't like the weather wait an hour and it will change LOL.

We will be there for 4 days- house hunting *sigh* I need to make sure the kids are dressed properly. Light jackets or no? Today it is onlt 19 outide and sunday should be around 60 ROFL!

dcs0826
03-27-2014, 11:02 AM
First official day on IP today! 1st weigh in next Wednesday evening. Had the cappuccino drink for breakfast. Getting ready to have salt and vinegar crisps for snack, then chicken a la king with 2 cups veggies for lunch. Really hoping I have success on this plan!

stephascope
03-27-2014, 11:07 AM
First official day on IP today! 1st weigh in next Wednesday evening. Had the cappuccino drink for breakfast. Getting ready to have salt and vinegar crisps for snack, then chicken a la king with 2 cups veggies for lunch. Really hoping I have success on this plan!

Welcome dcs0826! You will have success as long as you stick to it and check in here regularly. This forum is so motivating. 1 month, 2 months, 3 months from now you will be so happy you started this program :D

dcs0826
03-27-2014, 11:11 AM
Welcome dcs0826! You will have success as long as you stick to it and check in here regularly. This forum is so motivating. 1 month, 2 months, 3 months from now you will be so happy you started this program :D

Thanks stephascope! I have been checking out the threads on this forum for a few weeks now and they have been so helpful!

Runner68girl
03-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Is there anyone struggling with being stalled when it comes to the number on the scale? I put my scale away for a couple of weeks to prevent me from checking every other day. This morning I weighed myself and I'm still the same, despite watching and carefully planning my meals. It is so frustrating. I measured last night and the numbers haven't changed either. Any thoughts?? ......

danilynn
03-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Ok then cooler clothes for me LOL. In MN we can have all 4 seasons in 1 day also, if you don't like the weather wait an hour and it will change LOL.

We will be there for 4 days- house hunting *sigh* I need to make sure the kids are dressed properly. Light jackets or no? Today it is onlt 19 outide and sunday should be around 60 ROFL!

I would say light jacket and umbrella for when you come and bring 1 or 2 pairs of jeans (just in case). Today will be a balmy 78 degrees but we have humidity and a slight chance for rain showers.

any excuse to go shopping is GREAT in my book! HA ya, thats how it was with our weather in December (early part) in a mere 24 hrs we went from 80 degrees to 14 with snow/ice mixture. shut down pretty much all of North Tex! crazy i tell ya. Thats one thing you will notice here is that tex folks -- do not do cold weather -- snow or ice. Kiddos will appreciate school closures! almost shut down for a week because of that.

danilynn
03-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Is there anyone struggling with being stalled when it comes to the number on the scale? I put my scale away for a couple of weeks to prevent me from checking every other day. This morning I weighed myself and I'm still the same, despite watching and carefully planning my meals. It is so frustrating. I measured last night and the numbers haven't changed either. Any thoughts?? ......

are you drinking enough water? also what meals are you using? i know you stated that your are measuring them out.. but what does your day look like typically?

TurtleMom
03-27-2014, 11:51 AM

Stick to the plan & you will succeed!

TurtleMom
03-27-2014, 11:52 AM
So far, spinach is a hands-down winner over lettuce for smoothie additions. I will give lettuce another chance, but the smoothie-bar has been set pretty high by the spinach.

Runner68girl
03-27-2014, 11:58 AM
are you drinking enough water? also what meals are you using? i know you stated that your are measuring them out.. but what does your day look like typically?

I'm following the IP program using alternatives. so, for breakfast I have a protein shake (made with water) that is comparable to an IP shake. I have a restricted snack around 10 am (DETOUR bar from Costco); lunch consists of big salad and either a shake or some protein of sorts. Then my final meal at dinner is usually some form of meat and lots of veggies/salad. I try to drink water throughout the day. Some days are better than others. It seems I'm not really consuming that many calories when you look at how much I'm eating. I wish I could bite the bullet and just pay for the IP program but I'm just not at that place finanically to put out all the cash for that. I also am hypothyroid, post menopause and on HRT. At 37 I was diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure which pushed me in to menopause and so now I'm on HRT (big dose of Estrogen and Progesterone). I wonder if the drugs and sluggish thryoid are my enemy here and it is just going to take much longer. I also have a relatively small amount to lose - around 40lbs. Most of my weight is in my hips and thighs - typical pear! ;)

sweetharmony
03-27-2014, 12:09 PM
I've only been on IP for 8 days now. I had my first experience of attending a party while on IP last night. I am proud of myself for doing so well!! I ate dinner just before we left so that I was full when I got there. I drank water and resisted all of the food that was out. We didn't say too long and I had an IP pudding when I got home!!

dcs0826
03-27-2014, 12:16 PM
I've only been on IP for 8 days now. I had my first experience of attending a party while on IP last night. I am proud of myself for doing so well!! I ate dinner just before we left so that I was full when I got there. I drank water and resisted all of the food that was out. We didn't say too long and I had an IP pudding when I got home!!

Way to go! I have a wedding in May that I am nervous about. I would prefer to eat before I go and not have their food, but not sure if that would be considered totally rude.

danilynn
03-27-2014, 12:21 PM
I'm following the IP program using alternatives. so, for breakfast I have a protein shake (made with water) that is comparable to an IP shake. I have a restricted snack around 10 am (DETOUR bar from Costco); lunch consists of big salad and either a shake or some protein of sorts. Then my final meal at dinner is usually some form of meat and lots of veggies/salad. I try to drink water throughout the day. Some days are better than others. It seems I'm not really consuming that many calories when you look at how much I'm eating. I wish I could bite the bullet and just pay for the IP program but I'm just not at that place finanically to put out all the cash for that. I also am hypothyroid, post menopause and on HRT. At 37 I was diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure which pushed me in to menopause and so now I'm on HRT (big dose of Estrogen and Progesterone). I wonder if the drugs and sluggish thryoid are my enemy here and it is just going to take much longer. I also have a relatively small amount to lose - around 40lbs. Most of my weight is in my hips and thighs - typical pear! ;)

Try not to get too discouraged --- I can relate to you, i am 36 and i have a sluggish Thyroid as well. I am on 50mg of Synthroid Mon/Wed/Friday and 25mg the rest of the days through the week. I also was diagnosed with PCOS (Poloycystic Ovarian Syndrome) so i know how it is when you have been at a halt. Keep at it, your body will eventually give in and start reducing in weight.

Water is extremely important -- it helps rid the toxins and such so if at all possible drink at least 64oz a day or more. You may be peeing like a race horse, but that helps with your liver and kidney functions.

so with your meals, do you spread them out? Try switching it up a bit.

B: Shake (compariable to IP)
Mid B: Lettuce salad with 1 cup veggie and WF (walden farms) Dressing
L: 1 Cup veggie, Salad (lettuce) and your equivalent protein (15 grams) to IP.
S: Restricted bar/chips etc
Dinner: 8oz lean (make sure its extremely Lean) protein and 2 cups of veggies

The other thing you can do is start taking measurements of yourself.. arms, waist and hips. Although you may not be seeing it on the scale, you can still lose inches off you.

Hang in there dear -- we are all here to help!

kontesanera
03-27-2014, 12:27 PM
Way to go! I have a wedding in May that I am nervous about. I would prefer to eat before I go and not have their food, but not sure if that would be considered totally rude.

I have had an event every weekend since starting IP and have events scheduled after Easter all through mid June. I have always managed to find an IP "friendly" meal. There has always been a choice of something roasted and a salad. I could not control what went into that salad, but I did not have any carbs or alcohol and my choices did not throw me out of ketosis. Found that people did not really notice if I was drinking or not, and was not even tempted by desserts.

Spydergirl1
03-27-2014, 12:41 PM

You may also want to check you the nutritional info on your alternative products. The Detour bars I looked up, even the lite version had 370 calories!!! the lower sugar bars are a little less at 340. This is WAYYYY too many calories for a restricted daily snack. Also, your net carbs are too high as well. The calculation I did on the Cookies N Cream Lean Muscle protein bar is 32g net carbs!!! Your alternative products should have between 70-160 calories per serving, 30 % o rless calories from fat, 9 net carbs for a restricted and 8 net carbs for unrestricted.

mars735
03-27-2014, 12:46 PM

3 suggestions:
1) I just looked up Detour Bars and the first 2 flavors both contain 340 calories, 30 g protein. I don't think any of IP restricted are over 240, and most are lower. 30 g of protein is more than IP bars, and can end up being converted by your body to glucose. Have you checked the IP Alternatives thread? There might even be a sticky teeling you exactly what the protein/fat/carb make up of IP is. You absolutely can do fine without IP brand! Many people order alternatives online from Nashua Nutrition

2) Make sure to have 2 tsp of olive or grapeseed oil each day.

3) Water is essential to weight loss & health while on this diet, so absolutely get in minimum 64 oz/day. I used Mio flavoring to make it a little easier.

4) well, actually another suggestion: make sure your veggies from the IP list? it should be exactly 4 cups, NOT more than 2 cups at any one time. Most kinds of lettuce are unlimited. The reason is to be so rigid about these things is to get into the fat burning state of ketosis.

I tink you will get out of the stall by switching out your Detour bar for something more IP-like. Read that IP Phase 1 protocol and follow it to a tee, and check out the Alternative thread. Keep us posted. You are doing great!

JLUS
03-27-2014, 12:49 PM
You may also want to check you the nutritional info on your alternative products. The Detour bars I looked up, even the lite version had 370 calories!!! the lower sugar bars are a little less at 340. This is WAYYYY too many calories for a restricted daily snack. Also, your net carbs are too high as well. The calculation I did on the Cookies N Cream Lean Muscle protein bar is 32g net carbs!!! Your alternative products should have between 70-160 calories per serving, 30 % o rless calories from fat, 9 net carbs for a restricted and 8 net carbs for unrestricted.

I was thinking the exact same thing but didn't look it up like Spydergirl did (NICE!)

Do you have the little graphic that helps you align all alternatives with IP nutrition standards? It is the second (?) post on the most recent alternative thread. REALLY important to be sure all items match. (I bumped the thread so you can find it quickly).

There is NO MAGIC in the actual IP packets and you can be equally successful on alternatives IF you are very careful in selecting the right items. No need to buy IP... Save your money for all the new clothes you will need soon! ��

danilynn
03-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Runnergirl68: here is the info that mars735 was talking about.

Non-restricted:
80-150 calories
Less than 30% calories from fat
Less than 8 net carbs
15-18 grams of protein

Restricted:
160-200 calories
9-20 net carbs
12-15 grams of protein

Make sure your info is within these guidelines -- this is what i got from the thread -- which has helped me to decide my food.

Regarding the 4 cups of veggies. that is true, you split them per lunch and dinner. (2 cups each) however you can split it up how it will fit your needs to keep you satisfied throughout the day in addition to your unlimited lettuce.

ssubert
03-27-2014, 12:58 PM
I'm on week 14. Ketostix barely showed pink from the beginning but I was mostly losing 1-2 lbs. a week.
Stalled at about weeks 11-13.
I finally figured out that I was eating too many listed veggies. Duh!
Now I'm burning purple and losing again.

Note to self--measure raw veggies.

Jillybee123
03-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Dcs8026 good luck! Yesterday was my day 1 and my 1st weigh-in is next We'd too!

murphypuppy
03-27-2014, 01:18 PM
:( A little frustrated today... My scale has been refusing to budge much the past two weeks... I've been stuck between 190.9 and 192 for two weeks. Well not much to do about it other than stay on the plan and know that it will eventually start going down again because quitting will make the scale go up and that just won't do!

mars735
03-27-2014, 01:19 PM

Non-restricted:
80-150 calories
Less than 8 net carbs
15-18 grams of protein

Restricted:
160-200 calories
9-20 net carbs
12-15 grams of protein

Make sure your info is within these guidelines -- this is what i got from the thread -- which has helped me to decide my food.

Regarding the 4 cups of veggies. that is true, you split them per lunch and dinner. (2 cups each) however you can split it up how it will fit your needs to keep you satisfied throughout the day in addition to your unlimited lettuce.

danilynn: Thanks for putting it here so conveniently! I will hang onto it in case of reboot.

Runner68girl
03-27-2014, 01:19 PM
3 suggestions:
1) I just looked up Detour Bars and the first 2 flavors both contain 340 calories, 30 g protein. I don't think any of IP restricted are over 240, and most are lower. 30 g of protein is more than IP bars, and can end up being converted by your body to glucose. Have you checked the IP Alternatives thread? There might even be a sticky teeling you exactly what the protein/fat/carb make up of IP is. You absolutely can do fine without IP brand! Many people order alternatives online from Nashua Nutrition

3) Water is essential to weight loss & health while on this diet, so absolutely get in minimum 64 oz/day. I used Mio flavoring to make it a little easier.

4) well, actually another suggestion: make sure your veggies from the IP list? it should be exactly 4 cups, NOT more than 2 cups at any one time. Most kinds of lettuce are unlimited. The reason is to be so rigid about these things is to get into the fat burning state of ketosis.

I tink you will get out of the stall by switching out your Detour bar for something more IP-like. Read that IP Phase 1 protocol and follow it to a tee, and check out the Alternative thread. Keep us posted. You are doing great!

The Detour bars in Canada are 190 calories, 7g fat, 16 g carbs and 15 g protein.

Thank you for the suggestions - very helpful! ;) I'm going to give these a try.

I appreciate this forum - everyone is so wonderful with the support and advice. :)

murphypuppy
03-27-2014, 01:24 PM

Good Luck!!! You will do great!!

dcs0826
03-27-2014, 01:36 PM

Good luck to you too!

Runner68girl
03-27-2014, 02:06 PM
3 suggestions:

Non-restricted:
80-150 calories
Less than 8 net carbs
15-18 grams of protein

Restricted:
160-200 calories
9-20 net carbs
12-15 grams of protein

Thanks Danilyn - this is REALLY helpful!! I feel like I have been floundering with knowing what I should eat vs. what I shouldn't! The guidelines will hopefully get me back on track and actually losing! ;)

Runner68girl
03-27-2014, 02:12 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing but didn't look it up like Spydergirl did (NICE!)

Do you have the little graphic that helps you align all alternatives with IP nutrition standards? It is the second (?) post on the most recent alternative thread. REALLY important to be sure all items match. (I bumped the thread so you can find it quickly).

There is NO MAGIC in the actual IP packets and you can be equally successful on alternatives IF you are very careful in selecting the right items. No need to buy IP... Save your money for all the new clothes you will need soon! ��

I like that advice!! I love clothes, but right now hate clothes shopping!
How many carbs, fat and protein (total) should a person have per day on the IP program? This will help me figure out if I'm going over.

JLUS
03-27-2014, 02:17 PM
I like that advice!! I love clothes, but right now hate clothes shopping!
How many carbs, fat and protein (total) should a person have per day on the IP program? This will help me figure out if I'm going over.

The beauty of IP is you do not count those items... You just eat your three packets (2 non restricted and one restricted) making sure they fit the guidelines Dani gave you above, eat your select veggies from the P1 sheet (4 cups measured raw) or occasional veggies as shown on the sheet, eat 8iz protein from the sheet, add your oil and salt, take your vitamins, and DRINK water! That is ALL the counting you need!!!

Someone will chime in with the exact numbers if fat/cal/carbs/protein for those who like to track details. I like the simplicity of following the sheet and knowing that,s all I need to do to lose weight!

lisa32989
03-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Survived Day 1, feeling OK. Did NOT like the maple oatmeal, so did a quick change to a drink. I did wake up with dark circles under my eyes. I never have dark circles, anyone else get this? I searched but didn't find anything, so maybe unrelated. Thanks everyone, have a great IP day
Theres a great recipe for maple oatmeal zucchini muffins in Recipes #4 thread.
Re: Dark circles
Get your thyroid checked. It is a symptom.

Measure veggies and meats raw!!!

Plan for success!
I've learned we are as successful as we make up our minds to be. Our own minds can talk us into or out of a lot.
I keep mine talking me "into" staying OP!

So far, spinach is a hands-down winner over lettuce for smoothie additions. I will give lettuce another chance, but the smoothie-bar has been set pretty high by the spinach.
Spinach has less taste & I find the lettuce in smoothies is an acquired taste. Today I did half spinach & half lettuce.

Might take longer but in retrospect (when you're done) you'll still have lost the weight!

Non-restricted:
80-150 calories
Less than 8 net carbs
15-18 grams of protein

Restricted:
160-200 calories
9-20 net carbs
12-15 grams of protein

I'm not sure I would ever recommend a 20 net carb restricted, unless it was only once/week (super restricted). All of mine (IP or alt) have been less than 15. And when I first started, people were looking at unrestricted as UNDER 8 g carbs (so 7 or fewer). That has always been my go-to.

I'm on week 14. Ketostix barely showed pink from the beginning but I was mostly losing 1-2 lbs. a week.
Stalled at about weeks 11-13.
I finally figured out that I was eating too many listed veggies. Duh!
Now I'm burning purple and losing again.

Note to self--measure raw veggies.
Absolutely! I see people talk about eyeballing veggies. It might work for a while but best practice is to measure. Then we know we're sticking to plan

:( A little frustrated today... My scale has been refusing to budge much the past two weeks... I've been stuck between 190.9 and 192 for two weeks. Well not much to do about it other than stay on the plan and know that it will eventually start going down again because quitting will make the scale go up and that just won't do!
Make sure you measure EVERYTHING.

And if you are, just know this too shall pass. The scale jumping around a bit from time-to-time is just part of the process. I once skipped a WI due to a "stuck" scale and after 3 weeks, the scale finally budged.

This is why scale isn't the only measure of weight loss and we all need to remember what we're really trying to achieve is FAT loss. Weight loss can bounce around even when we're losing fat, due to water.
Did your measurements change?

HulaChic
03-27-2014, 02:38 PM
I have had an event every weekend since starting IP and have events scheduled after Easter all through mid June. I have always managed to find an IP "friendly" meal. There has always been a choice of something roasted and a salad. I could not control what went into that salad, but I did not have any carbs or alcohol and my choices did not throw me out of ketosis. Found that people did not really notice if I was drinking or not, and was not even tempted by desserts.

I've been to a couple of parties/get togethers over the last couple of weeks. I did bring my own food just in case, but managed to be able to choose salads and some meat that didn't impact my weight loss. At first I was nervous, but thought this is life.

I've never been a drinker...but as I learned even in high school, if you're holding a glass (and it doesn't really matter what's in it...like water), no one really notices or cares. :)

AmberLS
03-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Good morning!

Must have stole my warm weather cause it's snowing again here!

Stalls are frustrating, I felt that weigh a week ago, I stalled a little but bounced out. Hopefully you will too! Chin up its a process and it takes time!

HulaChic
03-27-2014, 02:43 PM
WI #3 (yesterday): -3.6 lbs! Yea! It's funny, I was hoping for more since I only lost 1 lb last week. But then I looked at the total...-11.6 lbs in 3 weeks. I haven't been able to do that in years!

I'm really happy and very hopeful!

BTW, Happy very belated Birthday, Lisa!

catlady1981
03-27-2014, 02:47 PM
[WI #3 (yesterday): -3.6 lbs! Yea! It's funny, I was hoping for more since I only lost 1 lb last week. But then I looked at the total...-11.6 lbs in 3 weeks. I haven't been able to do that in years!

HulaChic: Congrats! That's wonderful!

murphypuppy
03-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Make sure you measure EVERYTHING.

And if you are, just know this too shall pass. The scale jumping around a bit from time-to-time is just part of the process. I once skipped a WI due to a "stuck" scale and after 3 weeks, the scale finally budged.

This is why scale isn't the only measure of weight loss and we all need to remember what we're really trying to achieve is FAT loss. Weight loss can bounce around even when we're losing fat, due to water.
Did your measurements change?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, I lost inches everywhere so that made my pathetic weight loss more palatable. :) I'm just going to stick to it! My scale won't stay non-compliant for long!!!

sarahBell
03-27-2014, 04:00 PM
today is cold wet, damp, cold and rainy. I am just sucking down water like a sponge BUT yet I want sweets ARGH! I need some DUST please!

RA 2
03-27-2014, 04:03 PM
today is cold wet, damp, cold and rainy. I am just sucking down water like a sponge BUT yet I want sweets ARGH! I need some DUST please!

:dust: Hang in there!!

jendilly
03-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Had my weekly WI and maintained exactly the same. Not thrilled, but I know there were many factors that played into that. TOM is one (happened last month, too...stayed exactly the same that week), the Big C is going on right now, I travelled with our Miss WA girls last weekend and my eating was off a bit (mostly OP, but later meals and a few cheats). I lost half an inch in my arm but that was it for measurements...all the same. My body fat percentage was down and my lean mass was up. So, I possibly lost some fat while retaining some water?

I won't be going in next week. Gearing up for an 8 day trip to Southern CA to tour colleges with my daughter. REALLY needing to plan out that week so that I stay OP. Meals out, some nights in hotels and some nights with relatives, lots of walking campuses, some days without my daughter and meeting up with friends and relatives there, etc. I'll take lots of IP food with me and hunt down some good restaurant options. Some of our meals with be provided on campus, and there's usually a salad bar or something there. I'm determined to have a BIG loss when I get back after all of that.

I have MANY busy weeks/weekends coming up. NO more excuses, it's full on to the finish now. My hope is to be at goal by June 1st.

brelo
03-27-2014, 04:18 PM

I love your thinking!! I have had this same conversation in my head many times. Keeping moving forward is the best choice!

ChipnDip
03-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Anyone try the IP soy nuts? I took a picture of the label and then compared to bulk at the grocery store. With the quick mental math since the numbers referred to different quantities there was really very little difference. And since the IP ones are flavoured there was also sugar and yeast in them. The biggest surprise is that IP is $4 a pack for 30 grams each. I bought the same amount for $2!! I almost need to go back and check all the numbers because that is a ridiculous difference.

I used to season my own nuts after tossing in egg white and adding a bunch of chili like flavours and then baking them in a low oven. I could do that with soy nuts too.

RA 2
03-27-2014, 04:42 PM
ChipnDip - I tried the BBQ soy nuts on day 2. I didn't like them much, and haven't had any since.

LuvA1exa
03-27-2014, 05:33 PM
Super tired today. This is the first time (I'm in week 4) that the Keurig has been calling my name all day. So far I am alternating water (16 oz) for every cup of herbal tea. So ready for 6pm!!

canadjineh
03-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Super tired today. This is the first time (I'm in week 4) that the Keurig has been calling my name all day. So far I am alternating water (16 oz) for every cup of herbal tea. So ready for 6pm!!

Maybe change up your herbal tea to a ginger or ginseng one for a bit more pep...
helps me.

TurtleMom
03-27-2014, 05:56 PM
WI #3 (yesterday): -3.6 lbs! Yea! It's funny, I was hoping for more since I only lost 1 lb last week. But then I looked at the total...-11.6 lbs in 3 weeks. I haven't been able to do that in years!

:bravo: Good for you! I agree the weekly amounts seem small, but when you start to add them up -ZOWIE!

Anyone try the IP soy nuts? I took a picture of the label and then compared to bulk at the grocery store. With the quick mental math since the numbers referred to different quantities there was really very little difference. And since the IP ones are flavoured there was also sugar and yeast in them. The biggest surprise is that IP is $4 a pack for 30 grams each. I bought the same amount for $2!! I almost need to go back and check all the numbers because that is a ridiculous difference.

I used to season my own nuts after tossing in egg white and adding a bunch of chili like flavours and then baking them in a low oven. I could do that with soy nuts too.

Wow -I had completely forgotten about soy nuts! I know I can get those around here from bulk bins :-D

Nas145
03-27-2014, 05:56 PM

Don't be frustrated....dropping lbs will soon kick in, i understand the feeling though, i started March 17th @173.8 and to present day i have lost 5.6lbs down to 168.2lbs.....i wish it would pick up abit but i know its a lifestyle and process....Good luck for next weight in:hug:

TurtleMom
03-27-2014, 05:59 PM
WI #4 and another 4lbs were sent packing this week :carrot: I'm preparing for a lull as I can feel TOM creeping up on me. And by creeping, I mean ruthlessly throwing hormones and retaining water all over my body.

AmberLS
03-27-2014, 06:40 PM
WI #4 and another 4lbs were sent packing this week :carrot: I'm preparing for a lull as I can feel TOM creeping up on me. And by creeping, I mean ruthlessly throwing hormones and retaining water all over my body.

Me too! I hate TOM :devil:

canadjineh
03-27-2014, 06:40 PM

I soooo wish there was a 'like' button on here! LOL
Liana

mars735
03-27-2014, 06:57 PM

I ate them almost every day for 6 months. Couldn't stand the garlic onion flavor, but the BBQ was pretty good. For restricted, I just couldn't handle bars that would call out to me and leave me always wishing for another one. I'm one of those people who has to have foods that are "good but not too good".
I tried store bought soynuts from Whole Foods bulk bin. They were roasted and salted. They were different from IP--very hard to chew and not as easy to digest. The IP ones are crunchy but not so hard.

I think your way of tweaking them sounds promising. Might taste even better in addition to being way less expensive. Good luck & let us know how it goes!

canadajineh; just noticed you're at goal for 3+ weeks! Congratulations!!!

Vippysue
03-27-2014, 07:44 PM

Here are some ideas....
1.Eat a head of Romaine lettuce a day...half with lunch, half with dinner.
2.Weigh your veggies instead of putting them in a measuring cup. Depending on the size you cut them up, it could vary widely. 6 ounces is what I was told by my coach and it has served me well. (You can still stuff spinach and other leafy greens.)
3. Cut out the restricteds.....at least for a while. (I did it for a week and had my largest weekly loss yet.)
4. Drink lots of water.
5. Get in some light exercise at least 3 times a week.

Hang in there! It will happen. Hope some of these might help.:)

Vippysue
03-27-2014, 07:48 PM

That is an awesome 3 week total! Congrats!

Vippysue
03-27-2014, 07:50 PM

Break a leg!

murphypuppy
03-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Don't be frustrated....dropping lbs will soon kick in, i understand the feeling though, i started March 17th @173.8 and to present day i have lost 5.6lbs down to 168.2lbs.....i wish it would pick up abit but i know its a lifestyle and process....Good luck for next weight in:hug:

Thanks!! Good luck to you as well! We will be so glad we stuck with it in a few months!

Fearciuil
03-27-2014, 10:14 PM
Break all the appropriate appendages! ;)

MarylandMom
03-27-2014, 10:16 PM
Finished Day 4 and Discouraged. 100% OP. 0 pounds lost. Starving all the time. Grouchy and feeling so doubtful. Had a big fight with DH because he doesn't understand my feelings and thinks I just want to quit. I ended up in tears and removing myself from the conversation. I am having trouble keeping my eye on the prize, and today I have felt like I just can't do this. It rules my every thought (when am I going to eat, what can I eat, where can I eat). I missed out on my sons' soccer practices because if I had gone, I wouldn't have gotten home until 7:30, and I was already starving. I work full time so no time to eat beforehand. I had a shake at 4:30 but was still hungry.

Not sure why I am posting here...except I feel alone. I don't want to feel like I made the wrong decision by doing this diet, but I lost more doing South Beach the first 4 days and I wasn't starving myself. So confused and so sad, especially after fighting with DH.

AmberLS
03-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Finished Day 4 and Discouraged. 100% OP. 0 pounds lost. Starving all the time. Grouchy and feeling so doubtful. Had a big fight with DH because he doesn't understand my feelings and thinks I just want to quit. I ended up in tears and removing myself from the conversation. I am having trouble keeping my eye on the prize, and today I have felt like I just can't do this. It rules my every thought (when am I going to eat, what can I eat, where can I eat). I missed out on my sons' soccer practices because if I had gone, I wouldn't have gotten home until 7:30, and I was already starving. I work full time so no time to eat beforehand. I had a shake at 4:30 but was still hungry.

Not sure why I am posting here...except I feel alone. I don't want to feel like I made the wrong decision by doing this diet, but I lost more doing South Beach the first 4 days and I wasn't starving myself. So confused and so sad, especially after fighting with DH.

Calm down, deep breaths, and give it a chance You won't be starving very very soon!! In fact you'll be so full you'll feel disgusted at the sight of your food I PROMISE!!!! I had those feelings during day 2 and 3, it's common, your body is transitioning and getting rid of the carbs! Don't give up! I'm in my sixth week and I feel amazing!

Slipfree
03-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Maryland Mom, the first couple of weeks suck. It is hard and emotional at the beginning. Are you breaking up your protein? Having 2oz. at lunch really helps. When are you having your restricted? Are you drinking all of your water? Eating lettuce? Hot herbal tea helps with the hunger. If you need a snack, pickles helped me in the beginning. Once you get into ketosis, the hunger fades. All I can say is that sticking it out was worth every bad moment at the beginning. In 5 months, I have lost over 60 pounds and am off my blood pressure medicine. Sticking to IP has improved both my health and my attitude. I wish you strength. You are not alone in this journey. :hug:

Fearciuil
03-27-2014, 10:38 PM
Congrats! I had a WI as well, and I'm down another 2.8lbs.

NSVs: Had another person tell me this morning that my face looks thinner, and I can button my vests again. Haven't been able to do that in years! :broc: Oh, and I'll need a new belt soon: the current one is too big! :woohoo:

Creeping up on mini-goal #1: 250lbs....

islandgirlwannabe
03-27-2014, 10:46 PM
Today was my first weigh in... I lost 17 3/4 inches the most inches in a week at my center and 7.8 pounds. Super excited to see what next week brings :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

sarahBell
03-27-2014, 10:47 PM

First off :hug: momma!! Changing our eating habits can reek havoc on our bodies, it is like we are going on a with drawl from everything we love (sugar, carbs, processed stuff) and we feel like krap.

I know my first week I was ready to eat the darn cabinet doors and hinges I was so famished!! BUT I started to add in 1-2 oz of protein with my lunch. I did that for almost 2.5-3 weeks and it helped ALOT. It takes time for your body to level out and adjust the new you.

I have a hard time being 100%, stress, kids, arguments with DH and life in general make it hard some days. I have started to put a sticker on my calendar when I stay OP 100%, so I have a lot of stickers on my sheet but I hope to windle them down to none and need more!

Post here all you need, vent, scream, cry and ask questions!! I have no coach but the people here. I may not be the poster child for IP but I am human and understand the obstacles in life!

Good Luck and don't worry you will be fine!

ps. drinking herbal tea with some cinnamon in can help too and LOTs of water!

sarahBell
03-27-2014, 10:49 PM
Today was my first weigh in... I lost 17 3/4 inches the most inches in a week at my center and 7.8 pounds. Super excited to see what next week brings :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

:broc: whoo hooo!!! awesome WI congrats!

ReenHag
03-27-2014, 10:50 PM

Oh my dear, you are definitely not alone! Many of us struggled through the first few days. Weighing yourself frequently is not helping, so stay away from that scale until your official weigh in- it seems like it is stressing you out more, and stress can curtail your losses.

Planning and prepping will help you. Eat romaine when you need it to stave off the hunger, and take some foods with you if you need to head to practice for your son. Pickles may also help, and they count as a veggie. Drink water, brush your teeth to trick your mind into thinking you don't need to eat (or try breath strips). You can do this, and you are so worth it!!!

Renee

Vippysue
03-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Maryland Mom – I wish I could help you. I know you must be going through a rough time. I know you're already into this. Water seems to curb any hunger I would develop. I find it really does help.

I'm writing this more for the people considering ideal protein diet, the lurkers out there. I did not go through the tough time Maryland Mom is going through because I went low-carb for two weeks before I started the IP diet. I got past the carb withdrawl before my intake was limited. If I was hungry, I ate....just no carbs. Just something to consider.....

Maryland Mom, hang in there! It really does get easier! This is by far the easiest diet I have ever been on and I've tried plenty. Lean on us. We're here for you.

JLUS
03-27-2014, 11:00 PM

HUGS!! :hug:

Can you post a typical daily menu ... Maybe we can spot something to help you out or to confirm you are right on track!!

Step AWAY from the scale... Repeat - Step AWAY from the scale!!! Stress increases cortisol and cortisol stalls losses...

Yes, get some pickles and lettuce and munch away. Try a couple scrambled egg whites. Drink lots of warm tea or even some chicken or beef broth as an extra snack. Save some lunch veggies and add them to the broth for some soup.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!

murphypuppy
03-27-2014, 11:04 PM

Don't quit, don't loose hope!!! You will loose weight, it will get better!!! I was miserable the 1st week and a half. Now any cravings, hunger, headaches, nausea are a thing of the past! Give it a little longer! You can do it and will feel so good that you did!

murphypuppy
03-27-2014, 11:09 PM
Calm down, deep breaths, and give it a chance You won't be starving very very soon!! In fact you'll be so full you'll feel disgusted at the sight of your food I PROMISE!!!! I had those feelings during day 2 and 3, it's common, your body is transitioning and getting rid of the carbs! Don't give up! I'm in my sixth week and I feel amazing!

You are so right!!!! Sometimes I have to remind myself to eat more because I'm totally satisfied on very few calories. I feel so good! More energy, less "blah"... Cravings for food that would just leave me feeling sick after I ate them are gone! I wish I had started this diet years ago!!!

Mulse
03-27-2014, 11:09 PM
I am officially out of the 300s. I had my second weigh in today and lost another 7.4lbs, for 23lbs in two weeks! I am not sorry to never have to see a 3 at the start of my weight for the rest of my life!

sarahBell
03-27-2014, 11:10 PM
I am officially out of the 300s. I had my second weigh in today and lost another 7.4lbs, for 23lbs in two weeks! I am not sorry to never have to see a 3 at the start of my weight for the rest of my life!

that is so awesome!! :hug: congrats!

JLUS
03-27-2014, 11:11 PM

WOOT WOOT,!! :carrot:

Mulse
03-27-2014, 11:22 PM
Thanks! These losses are pretty motivating. So helpful for staying on track.

AmberLS
03-27-2014, 11:42 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :cp:

AmberLS
03-27-2014, 11:46 PM
So I've been trying to bump my water even more just because, but I don't think drinking more than the 102 ounces is possible without making myself sick!

Also on another note I have a question for those of you that do some whole family cooking still. I know we are supposed to weigh and measure before cooking and I do that, but I made a chicken in the crock pot and a roast with cabbage and I made the whole thing at once. I weighed after cooking, and figured I'd be ok, but do any of you have a better trick for this? I plan to start using my crock pot a lot again and cooking my food for the whole family.

murphypuppy
03-27-2014, 11:58 PM
So I've been trying to bump my water even more just because, but I don't think drinking more than the 102 ounces is possible without making myself sick!

Also on another note I have a question for those of you that do some whole family cooking still. I know we are supposed to weigh and measure before cooking and I do that, but I made a chicken in the crock pot and a roast with cabbage and I made the whole thing at once. I weighed after cooking, and figured I'd be ok, but do any of you have a better trick for this? I plan to start using my crock pot a lot again and cooking my food for the whole family.

When I cook for the family, I just weigh and measure it all before and divide the portions by whatever amount would be my share. So if I cook 2 pounds of ground turkey then I take slightly less than a quarter of it. So far it's been working well and my family hasn't complained about the healthier fare we've been eating. I just add a healthy carb and some fruit to the meal for them so they get a more balanced meal...

HulaChic
03-28-2014, 12:43 AM

Great job!!!