Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #1  

Default Hello everyone (need help, kinda stuck in a rut).

Hello everyone,

Here is my situation. I will be 30 in a couple weeks. I am 5'10.5 (to be exact) and about 180-185 lbs (changes every couple weeks), male. I could lose 10-15 lbs. I am fairly active, but nothing to great. Diabetes runs heavily in both sides of my family.

Ever since I was about 16, I remember that after eating a dinner at a restaurant, I would get really sleepy (I had one friend that would make fun of me for it). That continued to happen until I started heavily cutting back on the amounts of high glycemic foods I was eating. However, after a good sized dinner with any type of tortillas, rice, or other starchy food, I get sluggish and feel 'thick'. I have had a fasting diabetes check from an MD and it came back clear. However, I don't know how that helps when I am fasting, since my problem is once I eat. I also urinate a lot and drink a lot of water. The reason I want to get this figured out is because I am not a good father when my blood sugar gets too high. I get irritable, anxious sometimes, and my OCD cranks up. I just want to be left alone.

I know about the glycemic index and started taking 1/2 tsp of cinnamon today to regulate my blood sugar. I am open to any suggestions and how to cut down carb cravings (especially once I start eating), stop eating so much, and how not to be hungry (I have a pretty big appetite and get really cranky if I don't eat a lot of protein every 2.5-3 hours). I think the whole getting super hungry really fast kills my eating habits. I get this metallic taste in my mouth when I go to long without eating and can become disoriented.

Thanks
pacificredhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I'd suggest maybe cutting out the high GI foods all together. Many of us don't have issues with blood sugars, but get that drowsy feeling after eating certain foods or too much.

If you're seeing negative effects and you can pinpoint which foods, there is no reason to continue eating your triggers.

Many people find that their cravings for very starchy foods are greatly reduced once they cut them out of their diet 100%, and it can also help with hunger.

If you're interested, a group of us use volumetric ways (high volume, low calorie density) to have huge, filling meals and still lose weight.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 223/195/140

Height: 5'4

Oh, i am so sorry about that, but i think i have a solution. Try cutting gluten from your diet for awhile, such as bread,noodles, rice, cereals, and baked goods, these are all really high in sugar and gluten, and could make you feel more irritable, because they have starch, and starch turns to sugar and could bring your sugar levels up. Gluten could be giving you adverse effects on your body and your diabetes family history could also have something to do with it. Stay away from all breads and grains for at least 2 weeks and see if it helps. If it does, you should stay on a gluten free diet, because apparently gluten brings both your mood and energy down. But if it doesn't try eating fish twice a week and really stock up on veggies, they both fill you up, and they will give you more energy! Also try to be active for at least 20 minutes a day, this will help improve your mood and make you feel good throughout the rest of your day! Good luck!
RareandUnknown931319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
I'd suggest maybe cutting out the high GI foods all together. Many of us don't have issues with blood sugars, but get that drowsy feeling after eating certain foods or too much.

If you're seeing negative effects and you can pinpoint which foods, there is no reason to continue eating your triggers.

Many people find that their cravings for very starchy foods are greatly reduced once they cut them out of their diet 100%, and it can also help with hunger.

If you're interested, use volumetric ways (high volume, low calorie density) to have huge, filling meals and still lose weight.
thanks. any suggestions since im kinda stuck? books? filling foods that are non starchy. i love quinoa! is that ok? what about stuff like ice cream?
pacificredhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Absolutely - take a look at the link I posted in the first reply for our volumetric thread or more details on how I do it.

Other ideas are at www.skinnytaste.com, www.cookinglight.com, www.eatingwell.com
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote