Ideal Protein Diet - How do you describe how you're losing to nosy people?

Sheriously
03-23-2014, 07:02 AM
It's not a secret that I've lost a lot of weight quickly to others when they haven't seen me in a few months (or more). I really want to avoid the talk of "how" I'm losing with most people, because as you all know, the perception of IP tends to be controversial (low calorie, low carb, buying the food, losing "too fast" etc.). BUT, they will ask, and I am *not* a liar by nature, so wonder if anyone has come up with a creative way of describing the "how" to the nosy people who want to know what you're doing to lose.

For now all I've come up with is, "I'm just being very strict and healthy with what I eat". Any other suggestions?

Pattience
03-23-2014, 07:30 AM
You could say, if i thought you needed to know i would tell you. With a smile.

Ruth Ann
03-23-2014, 07:37 AM
Sheriously - I like your answer, and it should shut people up.

The other one I use is "I'm following my doctor's recommendations to lose weight." Although I have been tempted to say "Meth and Cheetos." But I'm evil!

You have to figure out how much you are willing to share and to whom. Some people I've talked to are truly interested and listen to what I'm doing and ask questions. Other people just assume once they hear "low carb" that it's an Atkins type diet.

I've found for the people I see only occasionally and who I know are just asking so they can be critical of whatever I'm doing that just saying "I'm watching what I eat" and then changing the subject works. If they persist, I tell them "you are really making me uncomfortable, can we talk about something else?"

goldilocksinct
03-23-2014, 08:13 AM
Now that it is obvious to so many how good I look and also how evident it is that I feel much better, I am more honest about it. It has taken me over a year to get to this point, and when I was losing the fastest I don't think it was quite as dramatic, so there never seems to be concerns about how fast I lost. I get more reactions now that they want to learn more about it.

goldilocksinct
03-23-2014, 08:14 AM
I actually get more concern that folks think I should not lose any more weight. I try to be very vague on what my goal is, because to a person (even others I know on IP) they feel I am good now. My doctor is okay with my goal, but does not want me to go lower.

Ruth Ann
03-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Now that it is obvious to so many how good I look and also how evident it is that I feel much better, I am more honest about it. It has taken me over a year to get to this point, and when I was losing the fastest I don't think it was quite as dramatic, so there never seems to be concerns about how fast I lost. I get more reactions now that they want to learn more about it.

Wow - you are doing great! Very impressive losses!

BillBlueEyes
03-23-2014, 08:29 AM
It worked for me to tell folks, "After my last doctor's visit, I joined a gym," with a telling laugh as if I'd answered their question.

It was true - although the statement contained no information of real value. I found that people didn't want to probe into what I did at the gym; they were quite ready to probe into my eating habits and current or future weight.

Ruth Ann
03-23-2014, 08:37 AM
It worked for me to tell folks, "After my last doctor's visit, I joined a gym," with a telling laugh as if I'd answered their question.

It was true - although the statement contained no information of real value. I found that people didn't want to probe into what I did at the gym; they were quite ready to probe into my eating habits and current or future weight.

I like it Bill! I may add that to my cycle of answers.

I actually had someone ask me "wouldn't it have been easier to have a gastric bypass?" WTF??? I just said no, it wouldn't have been easier. That type of question makes me crazy(ier). :dizzy:

drd1961
03-23-2014, 08:40 AM
I say lots of vegetables and lean meats.

goldilocksinct
03-23-2014, 08:55 AM
I say lots of vegetables and lean meats. I also describe the diet that way, and people are much more receptive that is "legitimate".

Slipfree
03-23-2014, 09:00 AM
I say, average protein, low fat, and low carb.

drd1961
03-23-2014, 09:29 AM
I also describe the diet that way, and people are much more receptive that is "legitimate". Yes, and then they say, you don't get anything else? No treats, to which I tell them how toxic sugar is and how addictive it is. I have slowly won my husband over. It was unbelievable how disciplined he was on our trip.

bluegingham
03-23-2014, 09:47 AM
I go into a brief explanation that I have eliminated processed foods, sugar, etc. I have increased my lean, healthy proteins and eat lots, and lots of vegetables.

For the ones that are truly willing to change their habits, I will continue, but for most, when they hear "healthy lifestyle", that seems to satifsfy them.

I think ultimately everyone knows what they are supposed to be eating, whether they are ready to trade in the "Meth and Cheetos" is another story.

bluegingham
03-23-2014, 09:50 AM
I actually had someone ask me "wouldn't it have been easier to have a gastric bypass?" WTF??? I just said no, it wouldn't have been easier. That type of question makes me crazy(ier). :dizzy:

I find it so interesting what people feel they are allowed to say! How dare someone imply that it would be easier to have major surgery than to introduce healthy eating habits!:censored:

Jenny38
03-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Ruthann - lol on "meth and Cheetos"

I'm a social worker, and do therapy with teens, children and families. I have had parent's ask, mostly mother's, or comment that I have lost weight. Last week a mom said that she was part of a group I lead last fall and it has "really bugging" her and wanted to ask about my weigh loss and what I have been doing. I just briefly explained I found a program that worked for me and exercise. My coach gave me some brochures I can just give if people want more. I just redirect them to look up on line. In my area coaches have been charging fees to join so I just warn people to be careful and that the clinic in use doesn't.

I don't focus on the number and when people who are not close ask I ignore or just say I don't focus on that.

zephyr1973
03-23-2014, 10:30 AM
I've told some that my Mary Jane connection died and I no longer have the munchies.

I tell most people I eat lots - no - TONS of vegetables as well as lean meats with low or no carbs. People typically respond "kinda like South Beach" and I don't correct them.

AmberLS
03-23-2014, 10:45 AM
I swear if I hear oh like atkins one more time! I tell them ya sort of but with less fat. People are curious by nature but I agree with most of these people. When you express that its a new healthy lifestyle, exercise, and good eating they lose interest! Most people wanna hear a miracle that they don't have to work at. I have a few great friends who I keep posted, and everyone else just gets the basics.

AmberLS
03-23-2014, 10:46 AM
I've told some that my Mary Jane connection died and I no longer have the munchies.

I tell most people I eat lots - no - TONS of vegetables as well as lean meats with low or no carbs. People typically respond "kinda like South Beach" and I don't correct them.

ROTFLMAO... you could combine the loss of your MJ connection with then I decided to do meth and eat Cheetos!:D

sapphire83
03-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Yes, and then they say, you don't get anything else? No treats, to which I tell them how toxic sugar is and how addictive it is. I have slowly won my husband over. It was unbelievable how disciplined he was on our trip.

This post just resonated with me so much. It's so true how toxic the "treats" are.

Ruth Ann
03-23-2014, 11:37 AM
I agree...when I say I'm doing low carb with lean meats and lots of veggies people lose interest. Also, when I say no sugar or alcohol, most say "Oh really? I couldn't do that."

Ruth Ann- Lol at your meth and Cheetos comment. I'll have to use that one and see the reactions. I can't believe someone questioned why you wouldn't have just gotten a gastric bypass. I swear the comments people make are just incredible. :dizzy:

Yeah, some people can be incredibly clueless can't they? I'm a bit of a smart a** sometimes but it's nicer than some of the stuff I want to say! There have been some that were truly interested in how I lost weight and I've had some good discussions about the hows and whys.

Fortunately, the really dumb comments have come from people I don't know well (mostly) or rarely see so it's pretty easy to just discount them.

Ruth Ann
03-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Yeah Suki sometimes you just have to mentally shake your head and think "oh well." You know what you are doing is the best for you and you're doing great at it so what they think is really irrelevant!

LuvA1exa
03-23-2014, 12:13 PM
I tell people that I've given up sugar & dairy for Lent. That seems to satisfy people.

Maile
03-23-2014, 12:19 PM
I told people I was eating vegetables and protein. What I found is that most people do not want to hear about how you lost the weight..instead they want to tell me about all of diets that they have been on and why they have not worked. The few that I told about IP did not follow through.

I have also said that my dr wanted me to lose the weight..which was true and that the dr approved of my current weight.

Peppertree
03-23-2014, 12:38 PM
The nosy person in my life is my mother-in-law. I don't see her that often as we live several states away, but we've just been on vacation with them so I had to deal with her questions. I decided ahead of time I didn't want to discuss IP with her. That means I've had to be evasive and also lie some. I don't feel too badly, though, because this is a very personal issue for me and I don't wish to talk about it. It has helped that my husband understands my decision and doesn't fault me for lying.

catlady1981
03-23-2014, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=Ruth Ann;4968917]Sheriously - I like your answer, and it should shut people up.

The other one I use is "I'm following my doctor's recommendations to lose weight." Although I have been tempted to say "Meth and Cheetos." But I'm evil!

Ruth Ann: I LOVE this. Meth and cheetos! I can't stop laughing!:dizzy:

tinespeens
03-23-2014, 03:58 PM
I tell ppl I'm on IP. We sell it at my workplace, so it makes sense that I'm on it.

ChipnDip
03-23-2014, 08:35 PM
My family know about it but I could see them biting their tongues instead of being critical. The amount of weight already lost when they all need to lose to makes them a little curious as well.

But know my husband's family wants us to come for Easter. I don't want to go. I don't want to explain anything to them. I don't want to cook separately for myself. It is a month away and maybe I will feel different then. Maybe stronger.

I find the hardest part is this isn't the first time I have lost weight. The SAME weight. One of my husbands very fit friends noticed yesterday. The first person to notice. He didn't ask how, but I was actually embarrassed. He noticed last time too! I couldn't bring myself to just say, "yes I have, thanks for noticing."

goldilocksinct
03-23-2014, 09:27 PM
ChipnDip, I felt the same in the beginning, but once you get past a holiday or two it gets easier. I used to eat my IP snack in the bathroom, make excuses to get up and dump the food I couldn't have, etc. Actually, I don't think people really noticed what I was or wasn't eating. And like you, I had lost and gained before. The funny thing is, now that I have lost more than 100 pounds people are more interested in what I am eating and now they are the ones that seem to feel embarrassed (not that I want them to be). At work the other day we had donuts out all day and a chocolate birthday cake in the conference room outside my office. I laughed and told people I was going to smell them all (and I did) -- I also said since it has been well over a year since I have eaten a piece of bread, I would probably drop dead if I ate that stuff. :)

Good luck with what you decide for Easter.

Pattience
03-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Living in fear of what people, especially family thinks sounds like a type of torture. Living with the embarrassment of losing weight also sounds like torture.

Why not try to own your choices and just brazen it out. If you don't like the way people respond to you or you find them too interrogative, just say something that will shut them down.

the idea of lying does not help either as you feel also feel bad unless you are a natural liar.

Be honest, first with yourself and then with everyone else. It doesn't mean you should have to get defensive.

I can understand not wanting to go on holiday in such a situation. So that is probably the easier option. and when you are more settled in your new low weight you can then do it. But if you go, it sounds like a recipe for disaster while you are feeling so low in self confidence. Don't go.

You could start out by saying, i prefer not to come because i'm on a weightloss program and i think it would be too difficult to stick with it and enjoy the holiday. Just tell them. If they insist, say if i come i don't want to talk about it with anyone. I don't want to have to defend myself or feel judged. I mean i probably wouldn't want to say these things but if you could say something like that before you even made a final decision about going, it would put everyone on notice that they have to leave you alone. But would you still feel uncomfortable. Probably. So don't go. I can just imagine the mental stress of this whole situation. That is the sort of thing that really gets me down. I have to deal with it asap so that i don't get depressed. I personally find, hard as it can be, that confronting these things head on, is the quickest way to get past it. And things very often go better than anticipated. People are often more easy going than i think they will be. solutions just emerge. Pretty soon i'm feeling fine again. Its taken me a long time to learn this way. And every time a new issue comes up, i still have to go through the process of feeling stressed until i work up the wherewithal to do take direct action.

Ruth Ann
03-23-2014, 10:18 PM
But know my husband's family wants us to come for Easter. I don't want to go. I don't want to explain anything to them. I don't want to cook separately for myself. It is a month away and maybe I will feel different then. Maybe stronger.

ChipnDip - remember that the occasion is about the people not about the food. It really does help. And maybe you could offer to bring something and make sure it's something you can eat - veggie trays are always good. Have some protein and veggies and just say you aren't very hungry. Most people don't really pay attention to what others are eating I've found. A wine glass with some water and a couple of drops of Mio and nobody will notice you aren't drinking. All sorts of great strategies to deal with events.

Hang in there, losing weight is hard work and stress doesn't help!

nolasmurf
03-24-2014, 11:26 AM

I just snorted Coffee up my nose!!!!! :rofl:
RuthAnn I'm so totally telling somebody that the next they ask!

murphypuppy
03-24-2014, 11:38 AM

I like "Meth and Cheetos"... I'm stealing that one!!:dizzy:

trinny
03-24-2014, 01:19 PM
I also just say that I'm avoiding processed foods and eating lots of meat and veggies.

I am extremely grateful to the person who introduced me to IP. If she hadn't been honest about what she was doing (and doing so well!!!) I wouldn't have heard of the program. She really is an inspiration to me and I appreciate her willingness to share the information.

I, too, feel awkward about mentioning IP to anyone since it does sound rather gimmicky (though I'm doing alternatives so does not involve working with a salesperson). Even when my friend told me about the program she did so self-consciously with a self-deprecating eyeroll. It's too bad, since it works and many people would benefit from learning more about it.

catlady1981
03-24-2014, 02:11 PM
I have only told one person at work what I am doing and asked her to keep it confidential. I just got cornered in the kitchen today by a coworker(not the one I told) looking at my food and asking what diet I was on and if I was sick of it yet. She did say that she could tell I was loosing because my face looked thinner. I totally forgot to use the "Meth and Cheetos" line :(. Since she was looking at my bowl of Leek soup it would have been obvious that I wasn't eating Meth and Cheetos. Then she wanted to know how many pounds I'd lost. I just said "a few" even though I want to shout out to the rooftops that I've lost almost 12 as of today.

I don't want to get specific about what I am doing because then I feel like I will be scrutinized and watched. I am the second heaviest person in my office. Everyone else is young and thin. Not that I will cheat and they will see, its just that there is food here ALL THE TIME! We have lunch delivered every Monday along with a huge fruit basket, Tuesday there is a fruit tray, and every Friday there are donuts, not to mention the cupcakes and breakfast tacos that find their way here during the week. It generally holds no appeal for me because before I did IP I was doing Paleo and eating very clean so my not eating the food probably will not be questioned. I used to get annoyed by people asking me what I was eating, so much so that I would go home for lunch every day so I wouldn't have to put up with nosy co-workers (job before this one). Is that weird? Am I the only one who feels that way? I just need to be more prepared with generic answers. But I have to remember the Meth and Cheetos line. It's just too good. :smug:

danilynn
03-24-2014, 02:31 PM
There is an old saying my dad would say to me every time i am nosey as a kid and even now lol. He would always ask if i was writing a book. If i had said no, he would then say "good, i would have asked you to leave my chapter out of it".

"are you writing a book" by far my best throw back to people asking me about my weight ... lol. gets them to stop asking :)

As for foods that are offered to me, i just simply say "im sorry, i am avoiding that right now". A lot of times they do not ask why and just move on to the next person

Chicnana
03-24-2014, 03:13 PM
[quote=Ruth Ann;4968917]

This is a great answer!

I have a very sensitive stomach, so much that I can only ingest very little at dinner time (a 'real' meal will make me sick for the rest of the night).

Anyhow, if I sense that it is not a good day but I'm at a restaurant for an occasion, I tell the waitress that eating gets in the way of my drinking... I usually get a good laugh (with a pair of rolling eyes if my mom is around)! lol

ChipnDip
03-24-2014, 06:25 PM
ChipnDip - remember that the occasion is about the people not about the food. It really does help. And maybe you could offer to bring something and make sure it's something you can eat - veggie trays are always good. Have some protein and veggies and just say you aren't very hungry. Most people don't really pay attention to what others are eating I've found. A wine glass with some water and a couple of drops of Mio and nobody will notice you aren't drinking. All sorts of great strategies to deal with events.

Hang in there, losing weight is hard work and stress doesn't help!

I forgot to mention that they live 4 hours away so I am stuck there for three days and fast food stops along the way! I figure I will just pack a cooler and be good to go. I don't much care for most of the extended family anyway so I will do my own thing and not worry about them. Most of the time I starve up there anyway as my step monster in law never offers us anything to eat between breakfast that I make with my FIL and dinner! She just drinks beer all day and doesn't get hungry. Oh the joy of extended family!

AmberLS
03-24-2014, 06:54 PM
I have only told one person at work what I am doing and asked her to keep it confidential. I just got cornered in the kitchen today by a coworker(not the one I told) looking at my food and asking what diet I was on and if I was sick of it yet. She did say that she could tell I was loosing because my face looked thinner. I totally forgot to use the "Meth and Cheetos" line :(. Since she was looking at my bowl of Leek soup it would have been obvious that I wasn't eating Meth and Cheetos. Then she wanted to know how many pounds I'd lost. I just said "a few" even though I want to shout out to the rooftops that I've lost almost 12 as of today.

I don't want to get specific about what I am doing because then I feel like I will be scrutinized and watched. I am the second heaviest person in my office. Everyone else is young and thin. Not that I will cheat and they will see, its just that there is food here ALL THE TIME! We have lunch delivered every Monday along with a huge fruit basket, Tuesday there is a fruit tray, and every Friday there are donuts, not to mention the cupcakes and breakfast tacos that find their way here during the week. It generally holds no appeal for me because before I did IP I was doing Paleo and eating very clean so my not eating the food probably will not be questioned. I used to get annoyed by people asking me what I was eating, so much so that I would go home for lunch every day so I wouldn't have to put up with nosy co-workers (job before this one). Is that weird? Am I the only one who feels that way? I just need to be more prepared with generic answers. But I have to remember the Meth and Cheetos line. It's just too good. :smug:

I understand how you feel about food at work and people, although I have openly shared my diet choices frequently the amount of bad food that comes through my work is rough. I'm a teacher and I guess teachers love junk food. There's always cupcakes, cookies, chocolate, pizza, I mean it's ridiculous, plus holidays kids bring all sorts of things, for valentines day I got so much candy from my students, then green treats on st. patricks. It's hard and most of my coworkers are supportive and helpful. They even help keep me from cheating by being cheerleaders, of course there's always a few bad seeds that constantly ask if I'm sick of eating rabbit food, etc. I just politely remind them that I happen to like vegetables and that I am doing something to better myself! :hug:

kontesanera
03-24-2014, 07:23 PM
Well at the last event I said that I was on antibiotics and could not drink and that I gave up sweets for lent. That about covered all the bad choices. LOL I told few people at work, but my social circle and work circle are very separate. Only two of my closest friends and my mom know outside of work.

CarbLover443
03-26-2014, 08:46 AM
I had my sister over one night last week and I made her some popcorn and I ate an IP choco pudding cup. I also took my cal-mags and she was like what are you having? I said, well, I'm on this new diet. It's working pretty well. I don't eat anything at all, and when I feel like I'm about to pass out, I take two of these pills and eat a chocolate pudding.

She was horrified!!! I burst out laughing and just told her that I was being careful with what I was eating and watching my carbs and calories.

Ruth Ann
03-26-2014, 09:11 AM
I love hearing all these stories - so glad everyone seems to have a sense of humor about it!

I'm still astounded by the number of people who come up and ask me "have you lost some weight?" Uh, no? I mean, really, I've lost about 43% of my body weight - it's noticeable!

danilynn
03-26-2014, 09:19 AM
I love hearing all these stories - so glad everyone seems to have a sense of humor about it!

I'm still astounded by the number of people who come up and ask me "have you lost some weight?" Uh, no? I mean, really, I've lost about 43% of my body weight - it's noticeable!

Ruth Ann: you will find this funny -- I had someone at work on Monday ask me about my weight loss and what i was doing. I used the Meth and Cheetos line :) I said "My Dr. recommended that I lose some weight, so I am following his advice. I use Meth -- and I eat Cheetos to stay slim and lose that fat".

YES -- i kid you not the person's mouth literally dropped and they said "are you serious?".. And i responded back with "No i am not serious" and then i just walked away. Mean while i am laughing..

Thanks for the smarty remark!! IT worked!

Ruth Ann
03-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Too funny Danilynn! :rofl: