Ideal Protein Diet - What Motivates You to Keep Going?

View Full Version : What Motivates You to Keep Going?

murphypuppy
03-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Whenever I am feeling week and like giving in :nono:I remind myself that my lifestyle and eating habits are an example to my niece (who we are raising). I also remind myself that my blood pressure was getting high as was my cholesterol. These things help keep me strong...

danilynn
03-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Mine is knowing that i am leading by example for my 10 year old boy, feeling comfortable in my own skin and knowing that no matter what weight i am at, i will love myself.

For the longest, i hated myself for being so fat, but through this process i have come to realize that i shouldn't be so hard on myself, after all i am the one who is shoving those donuts in my face. lol Really just accepting it for what it is and knowing that one day i will be healthy as i can get and fully off ALL of my medication that i have to take because i allowed it thus far.

tabletop1234
03-19-2014, 04:10 PM
My motivation is to not be out of breath doing a little form of exercise. It's embarrassing being young and being out of breath going up a few flights of stairs like an old grandma. My true motivation is to look great! Nothing is worse when you hate your body; then you start hating yourself. Being back on this diet, my boyfriend sees the difference in me and even started working out again so that he can look good too. Makes me feel good that both of us are getting healthier which means we most likely will live longer!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/heartbar/slider-hearts/lb/180/145/172/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)
W1: -6.8 W2: -1.2

ems70508
03-19-2014, 04:17 PM
My motivation is to avoid any heath complications in my future. I do not want my weight to become a medical problem that I carry for life.

tabletop1234
03-19-2014, 04:26 PM
My motivation is to avoid any heath complications in my future. I do not want my weight to become a medical problem that I carry for life.

EMS,
You remind me a lot of myself. I used to weight your weight about 4 years ago. I didn't lose the weight on IP, but I remember what a hard journey it was! And lets say it took me about 3x longer to lose it than you did. So congrats! You are doing awesome. I'm glad I heard about IP within the last year! That was my motivation in the start too. I had a lot of knee and neck issues from being obese. Now that I been about a close weight to what I was starting, I wanna lose more. Don't give up sooner. You'll regret it, I know I wish I lost at least 30 more pounds then. Great job thus far EMS!!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/heartbar/slider-hearts/lb/180/145/172/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)
W1: -6.8 W2: -1.2 (TOM)

eandc2006
03-19-2014, 05:56 PM
My motivation is definitely health related...I don't want to have aches and pains or HBP for that matter but I also want to love the way I look.

For most of my life, I was never overweight and always made fitness and maintaining a healthy weight a priority. Life got busy and I stopped weighing myself and the pounds came on.

I was clinically depressed, had anxiety, etc. because I began to slowly hate myself and the person I saw in the mirror. Why did I let this happen to myself? I don't equate happiness or success to the size of my waist, but feeling so down that I didn't want to go out with friends, go to a pool, or live life because I was always donning the yoga pants was horrible and I had changed from an energetic fun loving person into a home body.

I never, ever, ever, want to feel that way again!

lisa32989
03-19-2014, 06:08 PM
pain reduction, feeling so much better physically.
Being able to move and do more
Easier to exercise/maintain strength

Whenever I eat certain items, I get immediate reactions (puffiness, bloated, heartburn). The reactions keep me on the straight-and-narrow most of the time, even if I'm not on P1 & are my biggest motivation for eating right.

Side benefits of weight loss (for me)
Smaller clothes & more clothing options with less expense
Looking better in said clothes

eandc2006
03-19-2014, 06:15 PM
pain reduction, feeling so much better physically.
Being able to move and do more
Easier to exercise/maintain strength

Whenever I eat certain items, I get immediate reactions (puffiness, bloated, heartburn). The reactions keep me on the straight-and-narrow most of the time, even if I'm not on P1 & are my biggest motivation for eating right.

Side benefits of weight loss (for me)
Smaller clothes & more clothing options with less expense
Looking better in said clothes

Lisa, when you get "puffy" and bloated, do you ever notice your hands have a red color to them? Last night I had Pho (which has loads of sodium in it) and this morning not only was I puffy and uncomfortable, but it was like my joints were swollen.

jendilly
03-19-2014, 06:34 PM
My motivation is overall health and wellness. I had a few health scares this past year (gall bladder acting up, high liver enzymes, other random issues...oh and constant knee pain) and I know that losing weight and eating healthy foods will help me drastically with all of that.

I also got tired of standing in the back of family pictures, if I was even in them, because I was embarrassed of how I looked in all of them.

I have my 25 year class reunion this summer and also want to take a nice vacation with my hubby this fall. Want to look good for both of those.

For me, it's not just about the number on a scale. That doesn't determine my worth at all. That number can fluctuate so much each day. For me, it's how I feel. I already feel tremendously different since losing the weight and I want to continue that path to better health.

jasmine354
03-19-2014, 06:36 PM
I don't want my children to miss out on things like going to the beach just because their mom is too self conscious. I don't want to have to delete all the family photos that I am in because of how horrible I think I look and I want to feel like the same confident and sexy woman I was when my husband first met me.

murphypuppy
03-19-2014, 06:51 PM
My motivation is overall health and wellness. I had a few health scares this past year (gall bladder acting up, high liver enzymes, other random issues...oh and constant knee pain) and I know that losing weight and eating healthy foods will help me drastically with all of that.

I also got tired of standing in the back of family pictures, if I was even in them, because I was embarrassed of how I looked in all of them.

I have my 25 year class reunion this summer and also want to take a nice vacation with my hubby this fall. Want to look good for both of those.

For me, it's not just about the number on a scale. That doesn't determine my worth at all. That number can fluctuate so much each day. For me, it's how I feel. I already feel tremendously different since losing the weight and I want to continue that path to better health.
Omg!!!! I can't wait for the day that I don't mind being in family photos and I don't cringe when I look at them!!!!

dukeofllano
03-19-2014, 06:58 PM
My motivation RIGHT NOW ( when I am craving something naughty, it's 5:00) is that tomorrow I want to look back on today, and say "Yes! Gold star! I stayed in control!"

That's such a great feeling!

mckaren4
03-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Diabetes runs in my family and too many aunts and uncles have had limbs chopped off due to complications=I don't want that to be me!!!!

jendilly
03-19-2014, 07:51 PM
My motivation RIGHT NOW ( when I am craving something naughty, it's 5:00) is that tomorrow I want to look back on today, and say "Yes! Gold star! I stayed in control!"

That's such a great feeling!

I'm with you there! After struggling with "little cheats", I'm re-committed to being 100% OP and was joking that I should make a chart that I could put a gold star on each day I was 100%. Thought honestly about doing something to "reward" myself for going a certain amount of days in a row, but then reminded myself that EVERY day should be 100%.

5000 steps a day and 100% OP is my daily goal.

TurtleMom
03-19-2014, 08:48 PM
My motivation is that I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired! I HATE having to ask my daughter to only touch me gently because my body hurts so badly from Fibro, and fighting to stay awake when I get home from work. Exercising helps, and weighing less will make the exercising easier. I want to be the person with FMS who doesn't need meds! :boxing:

wantanewme
03-19-2014, 09:07 PM
To prevent or delay Diebetes and heart disease for as long as possible since both run in my family. And to look good in a bikini when I go to the carribean for my 10th anniversary this summer!

ReenHag
03-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Wow! I think I echo most, if not all, of these motivators! Let's keep it up!

What motivates me most (at this moment):
1. seeing how far I have come (and hubby, too);
2. Watching my 20 year-old daughter make similar changes in her lifestyle, as I struggled with weight since about her age (I had her very young);
3. getting in shape to have a stronger body that is less susceptible to major health issues (although my chol levels seem to be genetically predetermined to be high)
4. i have to confess, I want to feel young and sexy as I turn 40 this year! Smaller clothes and a smaller me with healthier skin will definitely help with this!

Renee

FacingIt27
03-19-2014, 09:56 PM
My motivation is definitely health related...I don't want to have aches and pains or HBP for that matter but I also want to love the way I look.

For most of my life, I was never overweight and always made fitness and maintaining a healthy weight a priority. Life got busy and I stopped weighing myself and the pounds came on.

I was clinically depressed, had anxiety, etc. because I began to slowly hate myself and the person I saw in the mirror. Why did I let this happen to myself? I don't equate happiness or success to the size of my waist, but feeling so down that I didn't want to go out with friends, go to a pool, or live life because I was always donning the yoga pants was horrible and I had changed from an energetic fun loving person into a home body.

Wow this is exactly what was happening to me, I totally get you on that. Congrats on your success!

CarbLover443
03-20-2014, 10:04 AM
My husband and I really want to have a baby and I want to have a healthy pregnancy and be a good example for our child. I don't want our child to struggle with their weight and food their whole life.

Also, I'm terrified I'm going to have to have a knee replacement one day. Sometimes, when I get up or step a certain way, I swear I feel like my ankle bones are just going to snap.

I'm only 11 days into this and I'm feeling good and I've been able to be 100% OP which I've NEVER been able to do on a diet before. I believe that earns me a dancing carrot. :carrot:

NJ_Desi_Guy
03-20-2014, 10:13 AM
My motivation is that I want to play with my 2 daughters aged 7 & 4, which I havent been able to. Also, I want to surprise my parents when I visit them in Jun, in India. I have not seen them for the last 2 years...

Ruth Ann
03-20-2014, 10:13 AM
My husband and I really want to have a baby and I want to have a healthy pregnancy and be a good example for our child. I don't want our child to struggle with their weight and food their whole life.

Also, I'm terrified I'm going to have to have a knee replacement one day. Sometimes, when I get up or step a certain way, I swear I feel like my ankle bones are just going to snap.

I'm only 11 days into this and I'm feeling good and I've been able to be 100% OP which I've NEVER been able to do on a diet before. I believe that earns me a dancing carrot. :carrot:

:woohoo: on your great start! That is super!

Health concerns motivate me too - when I started I was pre-diabetic, had high cholesterol, my blood pressure was up, etc., etc. Have a history of heart disease on both sides of my family (my mom died at 66 and my dad had a triple by-pass in his early 70s) and I would really like to stay healthy for a long time.

Pleased to say my stats have normalized to the point all my tests are now boring. I'll take boring any day!

CarbLover443
03-20-2014, 10:18 AM
:woohoo: on your great start! That is super!

Health concerns motivate me too - when I started I was pre-diabetic, had high cholesterol, my blood pressure was up, etc., etc. Have a history of heart disease on both sides of my family (my mom died at 66 and my dad had a triple by-pass in his early 70s) and I would really like to stay healthy for a long time.

Pleased to say my stats have normalized to the point all my tests are now boring. I'll take boring any day!

That's so awesome!!! I love hearing these stories..gives me so much hope. My biggest fear in starting this was that people would say "If I can do it, so can you" and then for whatever reason, I couldn't or it wouldn't work for me. But it really *IS* working. I weigh in today and while my home scale hasn't really budged this week, I'm hoping for a NSV in my measurements, especially since I had a big loss last week.

Mulse
03-20-2014, 12:08 PM
My biggest motivation is having a child. We've been dealing with infertility for four years, and while I'm not sure the weight is what's keeping me from getting pregnant, I know it's not helping either.

I'd also like to feel more comfortable when we go to Jamaica on vacation this summer.

Peppertree
03-20-2014, 12:24 PM
Primarily, I want to be comfortable with my body and have greater confidence.

Another reason is that I have a heart condition (which predates my weight gain), and I'd like to be healthier so it doesn't worry me so much and also so I won't be embarrassed to discuss it with friends. Currently I think that if I told people about it, their first thought would be, "Of course you have a heart problem, look at you."

Sunflower40
03-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Right now my upcoming wedding is my only motivation, but I also want to feel 100% comfortable in my own skin and this diet is helping me with that.

kontesanera
03-20-2014, 12:54 PM
My month long trip to the beaches of Croatia in August this year, my daughter, being able to wear amazing clothes (I love love dresses!), being healthy, confident and wanting to participate in life.

trinny
03-20-2014, 01:15 PM
I just want to build my confidence and improve my sense of self. Having two young children, it is easy to hide behind them - both literally and figuratively!

In family pictures, I'm always shoving a kid in front of me to cover my body.

Figuratively, I use having small kids as an excuse not to take care of myself. I tell myself I don't have time to exercise, read books, or enjoy my own hobbies. I tell myself that meals, activities, etc. should be planned around the kids' likes/dislikes/interests. I go to the store and only look at clothing for the kids but I wear the same old things all the time.

The result is that I've become overweight, over-consumed with the kids, and frankly rather boring to others.

Getting control of my eating is just one way of getting past that. I've also joined the Vestry at church and am making a concerted effort to re-invigorate relationships with friends by having lunch/coffee etc WITHOUT the kids. This is taking a huge emotional effort on my part, but I think it's worth it to become my own person again. I think my children will respect me more for it, too, as will my DH and most importantly - ME.

LuvA1exa
03-20-2014, 01:18 PM
My motivation is being able to take care of myself for, well, forever. I am a few months from turning 50, divorced and wasn't blessed with children.

My older sister has knee and hip issues to such an extent that she can't mow her own lawn or shovel the snow. And I see her fall more and more deeply into a depression because of this. I don't want this to be 9 years from now.

So, I 'm taking control of myself and my future. The way the economy is going, I'm going to work for another 25 - 30 years and I need to be physically capable of doing so.

And maybe someday I will enjoy getting my picture taken.

RA 2
03-20-2014, 01:24 PM
Health reasons - my sugars are high when I carry the extra weight, and I have a family history of diabetes. I want to avoid that. Also, since I've lost 20-25 lbs a few times before, I still have those beautiful clothes hanging in a spare closet that make me feel wonderful. I have a sweet denim jacket that is a medium, that I can't wait to wear comfortably again.

Hawaii69
03-20-2014, 01:24 PM
Feeling good in smaller clothing! It felt great to be in Mexico in January and have close to 30lbs off my body as I put on my bathing suits! I felt so much better putting on shorts and summer clothes. I'm close to 10lbs lighter since then and am so happy that I stuck it out on this plan. My skin feels so much softer and I feel so much better. I did my first run the other day, what a difference having this weight off makes! I felt like I could just keep going and going! Exercise will be that much easier! And my focusing on being healthier has affected my hubby and two girls to do the same. We are a healthier family!

LuvA1exa
03-20-2014, 01:42 PM
Also, visiting this forum and seeing that all the hard work can pay off with positive results! Thanks everyone!

RA 2
03-20-2014, 01:53 PM
LuvA1exa - I agree completely with that motivation!

tbc85
03-20-2014, 02:32 PM
My big motivation is that my husband and I are ready to start a family and I want to have a healthy pregnancy :) We have been married for two years and together for 7, it is time!! My only issue is that sometimes my family makes comments like "why do you want to get pregnant now and regain all of the weight you just lost?" this is frustrating and I want to tell them that I do not plan on gaining 50 lbs just because I am pregnant and eat what I want, when I want. Sorry for the long rant

JenJen444
03-20-2014, 03:08 PM
What has kept me going has been thinking "If not now, when?"
If I don't lose weight and become healthier now, am I going to try to do it at 65, like my mother currently is, or at 80, like her mother was before her?

I'm 41 and have spent my entire adult life in a battle against my weight.
That battle has been mentally draining and emotionally exhausting. I don't want to still be waging that all-consuming war when I'm 45, 50, etc.

I wish I had conquered this years ago - decades ago - but I'm darn well gonna conquer it now.

I did my first run the other day, what a difference having this weight off makes! I felt like I could just keep going and going! Exercise will be that much easier!

I had the exact same experience. I used to run regularly years ago when I was about 70lbs heavier than I am now. At the time, I felt surprisingly light on my feet. This week I've gone running twice and couldn't believe what a difference I felt without those extra pounds. I can't wait to start a regular running routine again (if only this crappy Alberta weather would cooperate!)

Hawaii69
03-20-2014, 04:20 PM
I had the exact same experience. I used to run regularly years ago when I was about 70lbs heavier than I am now. At the time, I felt surprisingly light on my feet. This week I've gone running twice and couldn't believe what a difference I felt without those extra pounds. I can't wait to start a regular running routine again (if only this crappy Alberta weather would cooperate!)

I agree about the crappy Alberta weather JenJen! Hee Hee Its nice to know that you feel the same way! With the extra weight gone, its like the body is craving exercise and to get moving! Maybe we can get outside to run in July! hee hee

nsesmith
03-26-2014, 10:01 PM
This thread rings home for me. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

Like many of you, I am sick and tired of the extra weight. I have been "trying" to lose weight for so long, but never really committed to it. I have joined so many programs thinking "this will do it" but "it" never worked.

For now (mainly for financial reasons) I will be doing an alternative version of IP. But it seems to fit my busy lifestyle and I am very motivated. More than I have felt in a longtime.

I am in my mid forties and am concerned that if I don't do this now, my health will pay a big price. I also want to do this for myself, to prove once and for all that I can accomplish this goal. I am really fortunate to have the rest of my life together, but for years this goal of losing weight has been high on my list. It would be awesome to not have this on my 2015 New Years Resolution list.

kaylynt
03-27-2014, 05:39 PM
This forum, my bridesmaid dress for my best friends wedding and my wedding dress.

murphypuppy
03-27-2014, 11:46 PM
I've been motivated to keep going this week because I know if I stop that I will just gain it all back again... Plus, physically, I feel so much better on this diet. :)

AmberLS
03-27-2014, 11:53 PM
I have lot's of motivations, the first was that I don't want to have back surgery and breast reduction surgery in order to stay out of a wheel chair. That's what got me started. I also have two young healthy daughters that I need to be more active for, I raise them alone and I want them to know that mommy takes care of herself and them. I work hard and go to school to better my mind and our lives, but its important I better my health. Now what keeps me motivated is the changes I see and feel in my body and my energy levels. Seeing these changes keep me going. I wear the wedding ring my dad wore when he married my mother (my dad died a year ago) and it used to barely fit on my ring finger now it's falling off!! My shirts are all too big, and I'm waiting on my pants to get a little looser! There is so much to motivate me! Also I remind myself "why quit something you've worked so hard to start?" It's like sawing through half your arm to free yourself but then not finishing and remaining stuck.. I know graphic metaphor but that's how I feel about it. Its hard to stay OP some days but if I quit now I just tortured myself for nothing!:jig:

IPCali
03-28-2014, 02:47 AM

Carbluver....

I am on day ten so we are one day apart. :hug:

I just had to reply to your msg since I have never been able to stay on plan on a diet this long either. :carrot:

I'm so excited and grateful to this board and the IP company!

lisa32989
03-28-2014, 06:33 AM
Carbluver & ipcali

I didn't trust myself either but soon found the IP plan to be self motivating b/c it was the easiest plan to stick to that I'd ever done. It has more structure than other plans I'd tried. I think I needed that.

Yayalaine
03-28-2014, 08:35 AM
I needed to take weight off my knees and feet as the most immediate concern... I was having more and more difficulty getting up the steps into my house. I was also concerned about a strong family history of diabetes... one by one, several cousins have been diagnosed with diabetes and I was afraid I was heading in that direction, also.

And, I also wanted to be a better example for my husband. He is on insulin for diabetes and he does not take care of himself at all. He often used me as an excuse to bring home loads of candy and sweets. He would say he was bringing me a treat, but he sure helped himself, also! So, I stressed how important this IP is to me and he has been supportive-- no more candy or sweets brought into the house. I have no idea what he's eating when he's at work, but I'm hoping my behavior and success will be an encouragement to him.

Also, I like getting smaller clothes!!

Ruth Ann
03-28-2014, 09:12 AM
I needed to take weight off my knees and feet as the most immediate concern... I was having more and more difficulty getting up the steps into my house. I was also concerned about a strong family history of diabetes... one by one, several cousins have been diagnosed with diabetes and I was afraid I was heading in that direction, also.

Getting the weight off to help my joints was another motivating factor. After 3 operations on my back (including one fusion) I was barely able to climb the stairs. Getting the pressure off my back, hips, knees and ankles has done wonders for my pain levels. My surgeon is just delighted - told me that every pound I take off is 9 lbs of pressure off my ankles (not sure his numbers are right) - that means I have taken more than 1000 lbs of pressure off my ankles. Unbelievable.

Yayalaine
03-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Getting the weight off to help my joints was another motivating factor. After 3 operations on my back (including one fusion) I was barely able to climb the stairs. Getting the pressure off my back, hips, knees and ankles has done wonders for my pain levels. My surgeon is just delighted - told me that every pound I take off is 9 lbs of pressure off my ankles (not sure his numbers are right) - that means I have taken more than 1000 lbs of pressure off my ankles. Unbelievable.

9 lbs of pressure for every pound lost?? Wow! I am so glad that I can already tell a big difference in my pain level. I hope it goes away completely one day.

eandc2006
03-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Speaking of pressure on the joints and what not, I noticed when I did this last round of reboot that after losing a few lbs my knees somedays felt like they were almost numb. Like as if they were expanding if that makes sense. Anyone else experience this at all?

catlady1981
03-28-2014, 02:19 PM
Sticking with something hasn't been my problem. I was a vegetarian for 3 years and lost 50 lbs. Then vegan for 1 1/2 years and lost another 15. Then was Paleo for the last year and gained 16 and my lipid panel went up over 30 points. My motivation is that THIS WORKS. Per my home scale this morning I am down 13.2 lbs since I started 4 1/2 weeks ago. I was so tired of being fat and uncomfortable in my body. Not too far down the road it would lead to health problems. Not going to let that happen.

I need to be able to keep up with my grandkids, if I ever get any.

IdealProteinNewbie
03-29-2014, 10:48 AM
Not sure about ankles, but 1 pound is equal to 4 pounds of pressure on your knees.

AmberLS
03-29-2014, 11:20 AM
Motivation of the day, I can wear the new pants, now I want them to be comfortable! LOL

lisa32989
03-29-2014, 11:53 AM
9 lbs of pressure for every pound lost?? Wow! I am so glad that I can already tell a big difference in my pain level. I hope it goes away completely one day.

It is amazing how much pain being overweight or obese can cause. Much of mine is gone, not thru WL alone but because of WL, I move better and more. The movement and strengthening is what is taking away most of my aches and pains.

IPCali
03-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Carbluver & ipcali

I didn't trust myself either but soon found the IP plan to be self motivating b/c it was the easiest plan to stick to that I'd ever done. It has more structure than other plans I'd tried. I think I needed that.

Lisa, I just love the 'you're not allowed to cheat' aspect of IP. :)

Who woulda thunk it?

I cheated on so many other diets,

and on this one they told me not to ....so I'm not cheating. :carrot:

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jillybee123
03-29-2014, 03:22 PM
#1 health and family. I am a widow and single mom to an 8 year old and he can't lose another parent! Already have high blood pressure and just turned 40, so need to make an immediate change for my health and my little boys future.
#2 sick and tired of feeling blah (tired, out of breath, back pain, knee pain, feeling self-conscious).
#3 yeah, I am single again and want to look nice to some day maybe, possibly go on a date....

sandradee44
03-29-2014, 07:30 PM
My motivation is- I don't want to get diabetes (which runs in my family) and I want to be healthy and stay around as long as possible for my 7 year old daughter. I also like being able to get out and skate, run, jump with her!

Arwa4u
04-25-2014, 06:45 PM
My motivation is being able to buy the clothing I love and not just what fits me...also don't want to avoid family beach vacations because I'm too self conscious to be in a bathing suit. We're planning a Caribbean cruise later this year and it would be awesome to go to the store and pick a bathing suit I like and not what covers the most surface area.

I'd also like to avoid future health issues....I had GD with my first pregnancy and would like to see if I can avoid it the next time around.

cooluu
04-25-2014, 07:02 PM
My motivation is I'm very active in my town. I'm on several committees and organizations which often leads to my picture being in our newspaper. I'm tired of hiding in the back row or feeling terrible about myself every time I see a picture.

Cath138
04-25-2014, 11:14 PM
Looking down at my huge belly, my size 17 pants and 2x shirt... and pictures of me when I was fit :)

Deepblue
04-26-2014, 12:46 AM

That is exactly what I have felt being over my normal weight. And I want to save those horrible thoughts and feelings in some way so I can remind myself in the weakness moments what I don't want to be anymore.

I sooo understand you!:smug:

MellyIP
04-26-2014, 11:03 AM
My motivation is my happiness and confidence, especially to chase positions I know I am capable of in my career, if I could only be confident enough to. Also, my health. I have never been this size and I miss when I could go play any sport, without having to think about "am I fit enough?"
I want my life back :) Food should not have the power to control me.

schenectady
04-26-2014, 11:51 AM
What motivates me? Waking up every morning feeling great and happy, knowing that I am doing something for ME, that keeps me from feeling sad and depressed like when I was 100 pounds heavier.

I never again want to start my day thinking that I need to get my health and weight under control today and thinking that, like the day before and the day before that, it will never happen.

What else motivates me? The days which go by now where I do not feel, hear, sense the discrimination and distaste with which people treat the obese as if we are stupid idiots and lazy. It is nice to be a "normal" person walking through society and be essentially unnoticed.

How many people would see that as a pleasure in life but for me, I love not having people look at me with disapproval, pretending they don't see me.

So success for me is moving from having people pretend they don't see me to people really not seeing me!

Noodles1984
04-26-2014, 11:53 AM
I have many, many motivating reasons.....
1) My health. Diabetes runs rampant on both sides of my family. I am going to get it, there is no doubt. But, I can work my tail off to prolong it as long as possible.
2) I'm closing in on 30 and desperately want to start a family. I'm giving myself until June 1 to lose as much as possible so that I can phase off and we can hopefully be pregnant by august (I know, I know......things don't EVER work as planned when it comes to these things. But I'm going to try my best!)
And finally 3) my selfish reason.....I want to wear skinny jeans and a sleepless shirt this summer and not feel like a whale!!

Keep up the good work everyone! I love the support of this forum. I read/stalk more than I post, but everyday y'all keep me motivated!

Slipfree
04-26-2014, 12:26 PM
To finally feel the satisfaction of making it to goal. After many diets in my life, I have never reached goal. I am looking forward to the challenge of becoming a maintainer, as opposed to a dieter.

65X65
04-26-2014, 12:59 PM
I'm no longer young. :listen:

Figure this is my last chance to make sense of all of this and to make these changes stick.

kdspirited
04-26-2014, 01:24 PM
My motivation is my 40th birthday next year and trip to Thailand in December. I have been up and down in weight all my life. I want to turn 40 in the best shape of my life.

schenectady
04-26-2014, 04:32 PM
I'm no longer young. :listen:

Figure this is my last chance to make sense of all of this and to make these changes stick.

AMEN!

murphypuppy
04-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Motivation this week is Hawaii in August and Disneyland in September. I went to Hawaii twice in 2010 and both times I looked awful. I avoided being in pictures and hated hanging out on the beach in my suit and board shorts. This year will be much better for sure!!!
A friend of mine and I decided to treat ourselves to a short trip to Disneyland (adults only) and bought fabulously cute sundresses to wear (red polka dots a' la Minnie Mouse) for when we hit our goal weight!!! Can't wait!!!

Hiker88
04-27-2014, 05:53 PM
I agree with schenectady... I always felt so invisible... which is kind of ironic since when your fat your anything but invisible! I actually get kind of annoyed now that certain people take the time to say hi to me when they never did before.... I am happy that I'm just another person in the crowd... not the biggest!!

Although I wouldn't say confidence was my motivator when I started.... I now enjoy feeling more confidant about myself and that motivates me to keep going!!

ReenHag
04-27-2014, 08:22 PM
My motivation is my 40th birthday next year and trip to Thailand in December. I have been up and down in weight all my life. I want to turn 40 in the best shape of my life.

Great attitude! I feel the same way, as I turn 40 in Oct. and am taking a cruise this summer to celebrate. Want to look and feel fabulous in my 40's and beyond!

Motivation this week is Hawaii in August and Disneyland in September. I went to Hawaii twice in 2010 and both times I looked awful. I avoided being in pictures and hated hanging out on the beach in my suit and board shorts. This year will be much better for sure!!!
A friend of mine and I decided to treat ourselves to a short trip to Disneyland (adults only) and bought fabulously cute sundresses to wear (red polka dots a' la Minnie Mouse) for when we hit our goal weight!!! Can't wait!!!

How fun! Enjoy!

I agree with schenectady... I always felt so invisible... which is kind of ironic since when your fat your anything but invisible! I actually get kind of annoyed now that certain people take the time to say hi to me when they never did before.... I am happy that I'm just another person in the crowd... not the biggest!!

Although I wouldn't say confidence was my motivator when I started.... I now enjoy feeling more confidant about myself and that motivates me to keep going!!

Yes, the newfound confidence is a big bonus!!

SophieLT
04-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Omg!!!! I can't wait for the day that I don't mind being in family photos and I don't cringe when I look at them!!!!

Right there with you. HATE seeing myself in photos and try to avoid being in them as much as possible!

mckaren4
04-28-2014, 01:09 PM
My motivation is to beat diabetes and be healthy in my retirement years coming up soon!
Also I am tired of checking each room I walk in to to see if I am the fattest woman there!

pishposhappelsauce
04-28-2014, 01:42 PM
My main motivator is a deal I made with myself to get my body healthy and in shape before I turn 30. After years of pain, I got my gallbladder out last year and that was a scary experience for me. I made the deal with myself then that I wouldn't put myself in a painful medical situation like that because of my weight and eating habits again.

I'm turning 28 this July, so hopefully I'll be in good shape before 29. I'm not married yet, no kids. I want to be happy with myself and healthy when those events come around.

Also, I think a lot about where I'd be now if I had just started earlier. If I started in January, I might be halfway to my goal by now! Whenever I have a weak moment and am craving something or just want to quit, I make a mental note to check in with myself a couple weeks after that and intentionally recognize how much progress I've made in that time. The pounds lost are much sweeter than whatever it was I wanted in that moment. Keeps me in it for the long haul—the time will pass anyway, might as well make the most of it!

dtbutler4
04-28-2014, 07:39 PM
My motivation is to not be out of breath doing a little form of exercise. It's embarrassing being young and being out of breath going up a few flights of stairs like an old grandma. My true motivation is to look great! Nothing is worse when you hate your body; then you start hating yourself. Being back on this diet, my boyfriend sees the difference in me and even started working out again so that he can look good too. Makes me feel good that both of us are getting healthier which means we most likely will live longer!

I can relate to everything that you have said. I just want to be able to climb the stairs without feeling like I just did an hour on the StairMaster. And I want to be comfortable in my clothes and not feel like EVERYTHING I try on makes me look 20 months pregnant. Shopping has become such a frightening idea...I used to love it, now I can't imagine anything more depressing.

ChipnDip
04-28-2014, 09:23 PM
My motivation is to beat diabetes and be healthy in my retirement years coming up soon!
Also I am tired of checking each room I walk in to to see if I am the fattest woman there!

I totally do that! I wonder how many people I have made happy because I am fatter than them!

Last summer we had a work function I the park with all these challenges and games. Someone took a picture of me "running" across the field. I saw that pic and was mortified, that was not the person I saw when I looked in the mirror. I am hoping I will be able to fully participate this year and not pee my pants when I run across a field!:o

cooluu
04-28-2014, 09:26 PM
I totally do that! I wonder how many people I have made happy because I am fatter than them!

Last summer we had a work function I the park with all these challenges and games. Someone took a picture of me "running" across the field. I saw that pic and was mortified, that was not the person I saw when I looked in the mirror. I am hoping I will be able to fully participate this year and not pee my pants when I run across a field!:o

I completely have had that feeling where I look at a picture and I know I hadn't seen that person in the mirror. I'm guessing you will do awesome this summer when it comes time to compete!

evemomma
04-29-2014, 12:22 PM
Motivation? I have worn two pair of pants I couldn't fit into for at least 6 months...just since starting on IP for two weeks! Makes me feel like a million bucks!

Long-term...I need to pull up my big girl panties (hopefully not-so BIG soon) and realize that there are true health consequences to my poor eating habits.