Weight Loss Support - Low calories, healthy eating, sweating hard, why has my weight lose virtual stopped?

CooCooCaChoo
03-18-2014, 12:42 PM
As you can see from my stats I have a lot of weight to lose. It has been almost a month. The first two weeks I dropped 16.5 lbs like it was nothing. The past 2 weeks I have only lost 2 lbs total. I know that is a fair amount, but iI can't help but feel with everything I am doing it should be closer to a 2lb per week loss. Here is where I am and why I feel this way. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The first week I changed my eating habits, all gung ho like. Went from eating horrible to eating healthy, documenting every bite that entered my mouth. I maintain 1200 to 1400 calories a day. I don't cheat. I drink so much water I have to pee every hour or two. Week 2 I added exercise, 20 minutes of walking or elliptical. Week 3 I added weights for 10 minutes and 10 more minutes of walking/running or using the elliptical (so about 40 minutes of exercise per day, 5 days a week). I also added one semi bad meal per week, normally on Friday or Saturday night. Not terrible, but probably a 1000 calories in one sitting. I am also getting ready to add crunchies and reverse crunchies next week.

I am completely motivated and not in the mind set of quitting, but I feel like I am losing sight of the light at the end of the tunnel. I am sure the initial weight lose contributed to my higher expectations, but I can't help but wonder if I am doing something wrong. I wear a fit bit which tracks my activity and my calories, and I am normally burning about 1000 to 1200 more than I eat (and that accounts for and includes calories burned during exercise). I haven't noticed a difference in my clothes. The only thing I am sure of is that my wedding ring isn't as tight.

I don't want to sound whiny, and I am so sorry if that is how I am coming across. I had my heart set on losing 2 lbs per week and I feel like I'm doing everything I can, but my best isn't enough. Does that make sense? I'm sorry this was so long. I just needed to vent.

Thanks for reading. Xoxo

Slashnl
03-18-2014, 01:01 PM
A couple of things... you started exercising, so you're building muscle and you may not see huge weight loss while initially starting out that process. Keep with it though! Exercise is essential! You may also be retaining a little water if your muscles are sore. The body can do that just to help heal the muscle. It won't be with you forever, though, so don't worry.

The only other thing, in my opinion, is that your calories might be too low. You might try one of the websites that calculate the calories you should have, based on your weight and lifestyle. I've been losing fairly well with exercise every day, but also 1500-1700 calories.

Hope that helps! But hang in there! A 1-2 pound loss per week is great!

MauiKai
03-18-2014, 01:06 PM
That first massive weight loss was likely mostly water weight.

CooCooCaChoo
03-18-2014, 01:10 PM
A couple of things... you started exercising, so you're building muscle and you may not see huge weight loss while initially starting out that process. Keep with it though! Exercise is essential! You may also be retaining a little water if your muscles are sore. The body can do that just to help heal the muscle. It won't be with you forever, though, so don't worry.

The only other thing, in my opinion, is that your calories might be too low. You might try one of the websites that calculate the calories you should have, based on your weight and lifestyle. I've been losing fairly well with exercise every day, but also 1500-1700 calories.

Hope that helps! But hang in there! A 1-2 pound loss per week is great!

Thank you. I wondered if my calories were too low, but I am so scared to increase them. I feel like I have bee eating a certain way for almost a month now, and the thought of changing it is frightening. The fit bit flex that I wear tracks my calories burned vs calories ate. I know there are some days for sure that I should be eating more, and I never thought I'd say this, but sometimes it is hard eating more! I've always been fairly musculer so maybe I am retaining a lot of water.....I just wish I could see a difference somewhere. Thanks for replying. Maybe I will give it one more week and increase my calories and see how I do. XOXO

Locke
03-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Whenever I see frustration posts like these I have to wonder if the changes that you are making have been too drastic. Your weight loss plan should be something that you can maintain for life. If you are getting frustrated because you aren't dropping the weight quickly enough then I suspect that you are finding yourself engaged in a pattern of behavior that is not sustainable over the long term.

Munchy
03-18-2014, 01:21 PM
When I start a new exercise routine I always retain water for at least 6-8 weeks before I start losing again.

CooCooCaChoo
03-18-2014, 01:40 PM
Whenever I see frustration posts like these I have to wonder if the changes that you are making have been too drastic. Your weight loss plan should be something that you can maintain for life. If you are getting frustrated because you aren't dropping the weight quickly enough then I suspect that you are finding yourself engaged in a pattern of behavior that is not sustainable over the long term.

Thank you Locke. Your analogy makes sense, though not for my situation. I am 100% on board for a life style change. I have a passion to be not just healthy, but physically fit as well. I have 3 children who are active and I truly desire to keep up with them. My frustration is based on the notion of the blissful and healthy possibility of a 2 lb loss per week and the happy path of being where I wanted to be before the holidays. The rate I am losing isn't going to get me to my goal in the timeframe I wanted and that, in my mind, doesn't indicate being engaged in something I cannot sustain. This isn't an option for me. I should have clearly stated this is a lifestyle change more than a diet and exercise. I am looking for ideas on how to help me overcome frustration, not comments that I have my bar set to high. Thank you though. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Whether I agree or not, I enjoy everyone's feedback.

CooCooCaChoo
03-18-2014, 01:45 PM
When I start a new exercise routine I always retain water for at least 6-8 weeks before I start losing again.

Thank you. The timeframe is helpful. I've never committed to exercise for this long (not since highschool anyway) so I have a lot of questions about water retention and calorie intakes.

diamondgeog
03-18-2014, 02:29 PM
It's hard to express in words...but weight loss rate became totally irrelevant to me this go around. And this go around is for life.

I not only subscribed to this is a lifestyle change but the following was a big mantra of mine. Eat well, move well, weight loss is a side effect.

I had an absolute certainty that if I researched. If I tweeked what I did, if I exercised, if I eat whole foods and in my case eliminated grains and upped saturated fat that I would succeed.

I didn't know at what rate. But this was a lifestyle change for life. And I remember back when I had lost the first 20. I felt SO much better and so energized. The appearance part wasn't noticeable. But I FELT it. Which was way more than enough motivation. And it allowed me to do more exercise.

Right now focus on finding what works and is sustainable. The weight comes when it comes. That being said if you plateau too long of course that is a concern. That is where tweeking comes in.

Totally agree about tape. I am right around the average height for a male in the US, a little over 5'9". I am about 8 lbs heavier than the average male right now. But my waist size is 5 inches under the average male. These are males 20 and over in the US. So that means to me I am leaner than the average male even at 48. So yes I am going to weigh a bit more than the average because I have more muscle. I still want to end up between 180 and 190. But ultimately waist size is a better measure than weight. I'd still be 'overweight' by BMI at even 180. But I bet I will be very lean.

Mumof 2D
03-18-2014, 02:32 PM
2 lbs a week is a good goal..however it may be a bit unrealistic. Especially after you loose a lot in the first. Your body needs to get used to the changes you are going through. It is very frustrating to see a huge jump and then nothing for a long time. It's a pattern we either need to move forward with and have faith that things will change or we give up...again. The more your activity increases the better adapted your muscles will be and the better they will be at burning fat. I am a 268 lb power lifter. I am lucky if I loose .5 lbs a week. It's frustrating but you can do it!

CooCooCaChoo
03-18-2014, 02:33 PM
It's hard to express in words...but weight loss rate became totally irrelevant to me this go around. And this go around is for life.

I not only subscribed to this is a lifestyle change but the following was a big mantra of mine. Eat well, move well, weight loss is a side effect.

I had an absolute certainty that if I researched. If I tweeked what I did, if I exercised, if I eat whole foods and in my case eliminated grains and upped saturated fat that I would succeed.

I didn't know at what rate. But this was a lifestyle change for life. And I remember back when I had lost the first 20. I felt SO much better and so energized. The appearance part wasn't noticeable. But I FELT it. Which was way more than enough motivation. And it allowed me to do more exercise.

Right now focus on finding what works and is sustainable. The weight comes when it comes. That being said if you plateau too long of course that is a concern. That is where tweeking comes in.

Totally agree about tape. I am right around the average height for a male in the US, a little over 5'9". I am about 8 lbs heavier than the average male right now. But my waist size is 5 inches under the average male. These are males 20 and over in the US. So that means to me I am leaner than the average male even at 48. So yes I am going to weigh a bit more than the average because I have more muscle. I still want to end up between 180 and 190. But ultimately waist size is a better measure than weight. I'd still be 'overweight' by BMI at even 180. But I bet I will be very lean.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I believe this is for life for me. I love your mantra. I wish I would have taken measurements when I started. It isn't too late to start now. I will find my tape measure and jot some down tonight.

CooCooCaChoo
03-18-2014, 03:06 PM
2 lbs a week is a good goal..however it may be a bit unrealistic. Especially after you loose a lot in the first. Your body needs to get used to the changes you are going through. It is very frustrating to see a huge jump and then nothing for a long time. It's a pattern we either need to move forward with and have faith that things will change or we give up...again. The more your activity increases the better adapted your muscles will be and the better they will be at burning fat. I am a 268 lb power lifter. I am lucky if I loose .5 lbs a week. It's frustrating but you can do it!

This is very insightful. I am defintely by no means a power lifter, but do have a muscular build. My hubby keeps encouraging me to keep it up, I just need to hear it from women sometimes. FYI, you are beautiful. Thank you for your support!

Arctic Mama
03-18-2014, 03:30 PM
You don't control the scale - you control your habits. The output of a number is not what you can manage, but rather the input side of that equation: if you've had a day where you ate the way you wanted and moved the way you wanted, you need to pat yourself on the back and let the scale do what it will. We're not machines and don't respond like it, weight loss isn't a linear process.

CooCooCaChoo
03-18-2014, 03:34 PM
You don't control the scale - you control your habits. The output of a number is not what you can manage, but rather the input side of that equation: if you've had a day where you ate the way you wanted and moved the way you wanted, you need to pat yourself on the back and let the scale do what it will. We're not machines and don't respond like it, weight loss isn't a linear process.

Thank you. I hear what you are saying and it makes sense. I think all of us struggle at some point due to that number on our scale. There is so much more that I need to remember, that I need to consider. That's why I am here! I have a lot to learn. Your weight loss is inspirational. Thank you!

freelancemomma
03-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Also, that initial 16-pound weight loss may be an artifact. Perhaps you initially weighed yourself when you were very bloated, then two weeks later when you happened to have minimal water retention. The same pattern in reverse could also explain why you only "lost" 1 pound per week in the subsequent two weeks.

F.

CooCooCaChoo
03-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Also, that initial 16-pound weight loss may be an artifact. Perhaps you initially weighed yourself when you were very bloated, then two weeks later when you happened to have minimal water retention. The same pattern in reverse could also explain why you only "lost" 1 pound per week in the subsequent two weeks.

F.

Very good point. This is something I never really considered, and since I avoided the scale at all costs prior I didn't have a great gage on my weight, though last time I was at the Dr I was pretty close. Thank you for a different perspective. Congrats on meeting your goal!

novangel
03-18-2014, 05:52 PM
IMO a pound (or 2) loss a week is perfect, don't try to rush it any faster. The slower you lose, the longer it will stay off. Slow and steady. A year from now that's roughly 52 pounds or more that will be gone. :)

It took me a YEAR to lose 18 pounds to reach my goal weight and I have been maintaining for almost a year. The closer to goal the slower it will come off so remember that the last 20 are a royal pain.

Just keep doing what you're doing and be very patient. Rely more on how clothes/rings feel over the scale #'s. The scale accounts for more than just fat and it can leave you feeling very frustrated. I only weigh about once or twice a month otherwise it drives me insane.

Good luck.

CooCooCaChoo
03-18-2014, 07:02 PM
IMO a pound (or 2) loss a week is perfect, don't try to rush it any faster. The slower you lose, the longer it will stay off. Slow and steady. A year from now that's roughly 52 pounds or more that will be gone. :)

It took me a YEAR to lose 18 pounds to reach my goal weight and I have been maintaining for almost a year. The closer to goal the slower it will come off so remember that the last 20 are a royal pain.

Just keep doing what you're doing and be very patient. Rely more on how clothes/rings feel over the scale #'s. The scale accounts for more than just fat and it can leave you feeling very frustrated. I only weigh about once or twice a month otherwise it drives me insane.

Good luck.

Thank you!

Wannabeskinny
03-18-2014, 07:10 PM
I know it feels empowering to control every calorie eaten vs every calorie burned and it looks like it's simple math but it isn't so simple. Weightloss happens in mysterious ways sometimes, visceral fat gets attacked first I believe and that doesn't always equate to much lbs lost so things can be working but with no noticeable differences. This kind of reminds me of The Biggest Loser approach, you must have done something very shocking to your body like they do, utter caloric restriction and more exercise than you've ever done before to result in that big a number. After that the 2nd week of the weigh in is a downer cause everyone has lost like 1 or 2 lbs and they can't understand why. I'm not convinced that this is a healthy way to go about it but if it works for you then I can't argue. But you do have to be patient. Though you might be engaging in a linear approach, weightloss itself is not a linear process.

Thank you Locke. Your analogy makes sense, though not for my situation. I am 100% on board for a life style change. I have a passion to be not just healthy, but physically fit as well. I have 3 children who are active and I truly desire to keep up with them. My frustration is based on the notion of the blissful and healthy possibility of a 2 lb loss per week and the happy path of being where I wanted to be before the holidays. The rate I am losing isn't going to get me to my goal in the timeframe I wanted and that, in my mind, doesn't indicate being engaged in something I cannot sustain. This isn't an option for me. I should have clearly stated this is a lifestyle change more than a diet and exercise. I am looking for ideas on how to help me overcome frustration, not comments that I have my bar set to high. Thank you though. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Whether I agree or not, I enjoy everyone's feedback.

FWIW I didn't perceive Locke's post to imply that you are setting your bar too high. Only that perhaps your body is a bit perplexed at the sudden change, she was just posing a theory. We all have our bar raised high, we have big expectations of ourselves and how we achieve them are personal.

Elladorine
03-18-2014, 07:22 PM
I totally understand wanting to reach a specific, time-based goal; I had my sights on getting under 200 pounds by last summer. Instead, I got pregnant! ;) So I'm trying to reach that same goal this summer. :D

Regardless, I agree with other posters that you can control your habits, but not the scale . . . everybody's body reacts a little differently and it never quite goes how the numbers seem they should calculate. Just do your best to make healthy choices and good things will happen! Even if you don't reach your goals by the holidays, at the very least you'll know you're going in the right direction and that you're much better off than you were before. :)

Arctic Mama
03-18-2014, 09:40 PM
And if it makes you feel better, averaged out over the time I've been losing I'm less than 1/4 pound loss per week. But I was pretty much a 3x/26 in 2008, and now I'm a medium/10, despite having two more kids and taking plenty of maintenance breaks.

Basically, I win. And it was slow as a snail and anything but linear. Speed of loss isn't nearly as important as keeping gone each pound you lose. There's a shocking number of 300 pound men and women who have lost hundreds of pounds over their lives. But keeping it off is the decider, and how you look at your habits and choices is a big part the divide between the maintainers and the regainers.

CooCooCaChoo
03-18-2014, 10:07 PM
I know it feels empowering to control every calorie eaten vs every calorie burned and it looks like it's simple math but it isn't so simple. Weightloss happens in mysterious ways sometimes, visceral fat gets attacked first I believe and that doesn't always equate to much lbs lost so things can be working but with no noticeable differences. This kind of reminds me of The Biggest Loser approach, you must have done something very shocking to your body like they do, utter caloric restriction and more exercise than you've ever done before to result in that big a number. After that the 2nd week of the weigh in is a downer cause everyone has lost like 1 or 2 lbs and they can't understand why. I'm not convinced that this is a healthy way to go about it but if it works for you then I can't argue. But you do have to be patient. Though you might be engaging in a linear approach, weightloss itself is not a liner process.

FWIW I didn't perceive Locke's post to imply that you are setting your bar too high. Only that perhaps your body is a bit perplexed at the sudden change, she was just posing a theory. We all have our bar raised high, we have big expectations of ourselves and how we achieve them are personal.

Thank you for your insight. I guess perhaps I am also perplexed in all honesty. I honestly don't feel like I've done anything drastic. Though I have by significantly changing my eating habits and have started exercising more than I have since highschool, these changes have come very easy to me. Not to say I don't feel hungry at times, or that I'm not tired and the thought of that last .5 mile isn't a miserable thought, its just not as hard as I thought it would be. I like to believe I am purely driven by motivation and determination, and maybe that makes it seem easier than it is? Maybe the picture I took of a side shot of my body pushed me to the brink of obsession about doing this? I'm not sure, but I don't feel restricted. I eat the foods I like. I had a serious chocolate and baked goods problem. I've found those fiber 1, 90 calorie brownies fulfill my need. Sure I could probably eat all of them, but I don't want too. This is so very personal for me this time. I've never felt like this before about becoming healthy.

CooCooCaChoo
03-18-2014, 10:15 PM
I totally understand wanting to reach a specific, time-based goal; I had my sights on getting under 200 pounds by last summer. Instead, I got pregnant! ;) So I'm trying to reach that same goal this summer. :D

Regardless, I agree with other posters that you can control your habits, but not the scale . . . everybody's body reacts a little differently and it never quite goes how the numbers seem they should calculate. Just do your best to make healthy choices and good things will happen! Even if you don't reach your goals by the holidays, at the very least you'll know you're going in the right direction and that you're much better off than you were before. :)

Thank you! I had a baby about a year ago so I can relate. I'm so glad I stopped lurking. I don't feel so alone. Thank you and good luck to you too.

CooCooCaChoo
03-18-2014, 10:17 PM
And if it makes you feel better, averaged out over the time I've been losing I'm less than 1/4 pound loss per week. But I was pretty much a 3x/26 in 2008, and now I'm a medium/10, despite having two more kids and taking plenty of maintenance breaks.

Basically, I win. And it was slow as a snail and anything but linear. Speed of loss isn't nearly as important as keeping gone each pound you lose. There's a shocking number of 300 pound men and women who have lost hundreds of pounds over their lives. But keeping it off is the decider, and how you look at your habits and choices is a big part the divide between the maintainers and the regainers.

You are such an inspiration. And you are right. I need to focus more on becoming healthy and not the number on the scale. Thank you for the gentle reminder.

kelijpa
03-18-2014, 10:36 PM
CooCooCaChoo, you've gotten great advice, lots of it, I've been 2 years losing 50 lbs, really slowed towards the end here, but I'm extremely happy with where I'm at. One thing I can tell you is over time you might lose 3 lbs. one week, 0.2 another and maybe even stay the same or gain one week, you could maybe average 2 lbs a week, it's all in how you look at it.

You could say you lost 16 the 1 then 1 or you could say over 3 weeks you lost 18 lbs, that's great, keep working your program, your body will adjust and reward you with being able to keep up with those active kids, which I suspect is really your goal, no matter what the scale says.

Best of luck to you :sunny:

CooCooCaChoo
03-18-2014, 11:14 PM
CooCooCaChoo, you've gotten great advice, lots of it, I've been 2 years losing 50 lbs, really slowed towards the end here, but I'm extremely happy with where I'm at. One thing I can tell you is over time you might lose 3 lbs. one week, 0.2 another and maybe even stay the same or gain one week, you could maybe average 2 lbs a week, it's all in how you look at it.

You could say you lost 16 the 1 then 1 or you could say over 3 weeks you lost 18 lbs, that's great, keep working your program, your body will adjust and reward you with being able to keep up with those active kids, which I suspect is really your goal, no matter what the scale says.

Best of luck to you :sunny:

I agree. I have gotten some great advice. It has really opened my eyes to how I am looking at this. This is exactly why I wanted to sign up. Sometimes you are oblivious to the things you are most intimate with, and so many things have been said that I never considered. I am defintiely going to reference this thread when I start to become frustrated with the scale. I shouldn't be so bent on that....there is so much more I never considered. Congrats on your progress. And thank you for your kind words.

Wannabeskinny
03-18-2014, 11:37 PM
I'm glad that you're enjoying the changes you're making. Being healthy and active does feel great. But sometimes it doesn't, it feels like you hit a wall or working with no results and believe it or not some times you may not want to work out. Saying weight loss is easy is like saying life is easy. There are good times and there are trying times but what's important is to keep on keeping on.

I actually hate biggest loser but bob Harper does have one saying that I really like, he says "trust the process."

Koshka
03-19-2014, 02:33 AM
It is really hard for most women to consistently lose 2 pounds a week, I would love to lose 2 pounds a week but I know it isn't realistic.

I also use a Fitbit. I've used mine for just over a year and have tracked my food the entire time. I find that I consistently don't lose quite as much as Fitbit says I should lose per calorie deficit. Some of that may be because my basal metabolic rate is not as high as Fitbit estimates. As someone with a higher body fat percentage, I think the formula Fitbit uses over estimates my BMR.

Also, even though I am careful in recording calories as best I can be, I can't control whether restaurants, for example, accurately report calorie counts of foods. Same with packaged foods.

So, while the Fitbit is helpful, I take those numbers with a grain of salt.

Pattience
03-19-2014, 02:44 AM
coo coo, my short answer is this.

If you ate 1400 calories did no exercise and weighed 175pounds you would still lose weight. Since you are still over 200 pounds that only tells me you are not eating enough. You have been starving yourself and now your body is fighting back. Its time to see a dietician.

Also you may find it illuminating to read up the articles on nutrition world to learn about why things have stalled - how the hormones in our bodies are affected by what and how much we eat as well as the way we exercise. Its quite complex and as admitted, not fully understood. Read the section understanding our bodies. You may need to read all the articles a few times. Read up on insulin, seratonin, leptin and fibre for a start.

But really the easiest way to begin solving this might be to see a dietician.

Pattience
03-19-2014, 03:14 AM
I haven't read all the posts but quite a few now. I agree with Locke and think you misunderstood her a little bit. She was only saying the strategy you've adopted is not sustainable. She's not saying weight management and exercise aren't unsustainable, although i think she'd agree that 2 pounds per week isn't sustainable in the long haul.

And for once i agree with diamondgeog. Whatever it was he said about taking it slowly and paying more attention to the types of foods you are eating and and your program instead of the speed at which the scale goes down, when i read it, i thought that's what i'm doing this time too. I am definitely in less of a hurry. Though of course i want the scale to come and watch it daily. But my attention is mostly on the quality of the food i'm eating, avoiding hunger which triggers a binge for me, looking after my mood and maybe giving a little attention to exercise - less than is probably recommended but its what i can manage at the moment.

I think the mystery factor in all this is how our bodies respond to drastic calorie reduction and to the minutae of the protein/carb/fat relationships and how all of that relates to exercise and how when and how those calories are burned. Those articles i refer to elsewhere deal with all this stuff. We will not understand it precisely by reading them. We will not be able to know for sure that this or that is going on in our case because there are so many variables in play but some people do seem to have a better grip on it than others, some naturally, like us amateurs, and others because they have studied it, like the dieticians. These articles do give fairly clear clues as to how to tweak our diet and exercise and other things in our routines to make it all work better for us.

BEcause of the complexities re our hormones and the way the interplay with the food we eat and the way we burn calories, it is more sustainable to lose the weight slowly. Yes you can usually do it fast for a while but at a certain point, you should slow down or even stabilise your weight for a while before going down further so as not to send the wrong signals to the parts of the body that control things like metabolism and efficacy of the energy use and so on.

That said, it is probably a good thing that you have been eating a high cal meal once a week while you've been generally eating so low. Even one of the articles mentioned doing this and it made me think there was something after all in the notion of calorie cycling which i heard about on this site for the first time. The basic idea seems to be by varying our calorific intake daily, we keep the body guessing and it doesn't go into thinking we are starving ourselves.

One of the dangers of low calorie high exercise is burning muscle for fuel instead of fat. When the body runs out of its glycogen stores (from carbs), it will start to burn muscle. If you are in that phase, your body is not burning energy so efficiently and you also may have triggered the starvation switch. What i'm saying is not precise. I can't remember all the detail of what i've read but the thing is the information is out there and we can learn to understand why we mustn't restrict our calories too much and the importance of slowing the rate at which we try to lose weight.

Daimere
03-19-2014, 05:00 AM
The rate I am losing isn't going to get me to my goal in the timeframe I wanted and that, in my mind, doesn't indicate being engaged in something I cannot sustain.
This comment gives me red lights. Because what will happen when you don't reach your goal in your timeframe? Are you going to go back to eating unhealthy? Will you give up? Even if you only get to half your goal, it is much much better than not losing at all. I only say this because years ago, I didn't reach a time based goal, I got so frustrated that I gave up. Or "took a break" that last years.

Also, weight loss is not linear. I can show you graphs I have that show up and down spikes. But even with the spikes, I am much smaller by the end of the month

Pattience
03-19-2014, 06:21 AM
That's not what she means Daimere. What she means by sustain is to continue a healthy lifestyle into the future and keep the weight off. OP has realised she is not going to achieve her original goal of meeting her time frame but she has no intention of giving up because the goal posts have moved.

CooCooCaChoo
03-19-2014, 07:54 AM
That's not what she means Daimere. What she means by sustain is to continue a healthy lifestyle into the future and keep the weight off. OP has realised she is not going to achieve her original goal of meeting her time frame but she has no intention of giving up because the goal posts have moved.

Thank you.

Communicating via writing is very easily miscontrued and misinterpreted. It is ok. That is something we all have to accept being part of a public forum.

I've received some great advice. I have a few options to consider including seeing a dietician. This post has opened my eyes to this not being a race, so I have some time to experiment with some of the ideas, including upping my calories a little. I am finding a huge mental satisfaction in the exercise and enjoy pushing myself a little farther when I can. Thank you all so much.

seagirl
03-19-2014, 08:37 AM
You have been at this for 1 month. You've lost 18 pounds in one month. That is over 4 pounds a week.

There is someone on here who has a chart of her weight loss. It is a big zig zaggy line - down up down plateau down up down etc. But the general trend is down, and the final point is where she wanted to be. I always remember this when the scale bumps around and doesn't seem to understand how "good" I'm being.

You have a long journey. Settle in for it.

CooCooCaChoo
03-19-2014, 09:23 AM
You have been at this for 1 month. You've lost 18 pounds in one month. That is over 4 pounds a week.

There is someone on here who has a chart of her weight loss. It is a big zig zaggy line - down up down plateau down up down etc. But the general trend is down, and the final point is where she wanted to be. I always remember this when the scale bumps around and doesn't seem to understand how "good" I'm being.

You have a long journey. Settle in for it.

Your comment about the scale not understanding how good you've been made me laugh out loud because I can so relate!! It is so true isn't it? There have been many mornings, mostly following a gain the day before, where I find myself begging this thin metal contraption on my floor to cut me some slack. I'm so happy I didn't continue to lurk and finally posted. I realize even with my good intentions that my focus has been in the wrong place! I would love to see that chart, if you remember who it is and would be willing to share that name I would appreciate it. Thank you for your support!

Mumof 2D
03-19-2014, 02:34 PM
This is very insightful. I am defintely by no means a power lifter, but do have a muscular build. My hubby keeps encouraging me to keep it up, I just need to hear it from women sometimes. FYI, you are beautiful. Thank you for your support!

Thank you!!!

JohnP
03-19-2014, 03:43 PM
This thread reminds me of why this article is so important.
(http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fundamental-principles-versus-minor-details.html)

Some of the things being posted in this thread are making my head spin they are so wrong.

hhm6
03-19-2014, 04:06 PM
Coco- Your plan sounds very similar to mine. I aim for 1200 calories of healthy food (with the occasional cheat now and then) but I'm going strictly by calories in and calories out, but I never reach 1200. Most days (according to MFP) I reach 800-1000 after I input my exercise calories. I don't know if you log your calories but I know I lose in "whooshes", your body might be that way? I have been stalled at 168 for a bit, but I trust that since I've eaten clean, it's probably just water weight. I swear the first 20 lbs were EASY! I mean I didn't do much and it dropped. Now getting to the 160-170ss has been a battle but I know I can't actually be gaining.

I know a lot of people mentioned increasing calories, what benefit is there to that? (Not pointing fingers at anyone, just curious :)) If it's calories in and calories out, and she's not hungry, I would assume there is no reason to increase calories and just wait for a whoosh?

CooCooCaChoo
03-19-2014, 04:12 PM
This thread reminds me of why this article is so important.
(http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fundamental-principles-versus-minor-details.html)

Some of the things being posted in this thread are making my head spin they are so wrong.

Thank you John

CooCooCaChoo
03-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Coco- Your plan sounds very similar to mine. I aim for 1200 calories of healthy food (with the occasional cheat now and then) but I'm going strictly by calories in and calories out, but I never reach 1200. Most days (according to MFP) I reach 800-1000 after I input my exercise calories. I don't know if you log your calories but I know I lose in "whooshes", your body might be that way? I have been stalled at 168 for a bit, but I trust that since I've eaten clean, it's probably just water weight. I swear the first 20 lbs were EASY! I mean I didn't do much and it dropped. Now getting to the 160-170ss has been a battle but I know I can't actually be gaining.

I know a lot of people mentioned increasing calories, what benefit is there to that? (Not pointing fingers at anyone, just curious :)) If it's calories in and calories out, and she's not hungry, I would assume there is no reason to increase calories and just wait for a whoosh?

hhm~ Thank you. I do log my calories religiously. One month ago today I bought a fit bit flex. It only leaves my wrist when it charges once a week. Sometimes I wonder if this ugly little band on my wrist is what motivates me through out the day. Its like a little reminder staring at me. What I like the most about it is that as long as I am honest and enter my food & water,it does everything else for me. Tracks calories burned, calories eaten, hours slept, steps taken....I love this little thing. Last night I was attempting to find the 2 mile mark in my neighborhood, so I walked to first, then went out and drove it. This little fitbit is SPOT ON. Love love love it. And thank you for being where I am. I was worried about calorie increase, and I really don't feel hungry but was willing to try it if I stalled for much longer. I am going to give it some more time though before I change anything. You are doing a great job! Congrats and good luck!

shcirerf
03-19-2014, 05:04 PM
I really love this sign about our relationship with the scale. :D It puts it in a better perspective. The scale is only one of many tools. Other numbers that are important are cholesterol, blood pressure, clothing size, etc. Along with other small victories along the way. Going down a size, skin clearing up, hitting a new time in a run, adding more weight to a barbell, being able to bend over and tie your shoes without feeling like you're going to explode.
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.607991640606642129&w=273&h=188&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

hhm6
03-19-2014, 05:26 PM
hhm~ Thank you. I do log my calories religiously. One month ago today I bought a fit bit flex. It only leaves my wrist when it charges once a week. Sometimes I wonder if this ugly little band on my wrist is what motivates me through out the day. Its like a little reminder staring at me. What I like the most about it is that as long as I am honest and enter my food & water,it does everything else for me. Tracks calories burned, calories eaten, hours slept, steps taken....I love this little thing. Last night I was attempting to find the 2 mile mark in my neighborhood, so I walked to first, then went out and drove it. This little fitbit is SPOT ON. Love love love it. And thank you for being where I am. I was worried about calorie increase, and I really don't feel hungry but was willing to try it if I stalled for much longer. I am going to give it some more time though before I change anything. You are doing a great job! Congrats and good luck!

Thank you! :) and I think if you're counting everything and you know you aren't cheating, it's surely some water weight! I had one month when I was at 175 and at the end of 3 week mark I dropped to 170. I'm very impatient with weight loss so I completely understand!

I've been told to increase my calories by a lot of people (not on here, but more so family members) but eating when I wasn't hungry got me fat in the first place. Eating in moderation is much easier for me and makes me feel less obsessed with food/scale/weight loss.

This fit bit sounds awesome! I have a Polar FT7 which I love, but I wear it only when I'm exercising, and yes I swear that is what motivates me!! lol if I'm ever around 359 cals, I'll make the extra effort to run to get to a whole number like 400, but hey whatever works right?!

Best of luck to you! Just keep at it!

CooCooCaChoo
03-19-2014, 05:32 PM
I really love this sign about our relationship with the scale. :D It puts it in a better perspective. The scale is only one of many tools. Other numbers that are important are cholesterol, blood pressure, clothing size, etc. Along with other small victories along the way. Going down a size, skin clearing up, hitting a new time in a run, adding more weight to a barbell, being able to bend over and tie your shoes without feeling like you're going to explode.
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.607991640606642129&w=273&h=188&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

So true! Love the sign! Thanks for sharing.

CooCooCaChoo
03-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Thank you! :) and I think if you're counting everything and you know you aren't cheating, it's surely some water weight! I had one month when I was at 175 and at the end of 3 week mark I dropped to 170. I'm very impatient with weight loss so I completely understand!

I've been told to increase my calories by a lot of people (not on here, but more so family members) but eating when I wasn't hungry got me fat in the first place. Eating in moderation is much easier for me and makes me feel less obsessed with food/scale/weight loss.

This fit bit sounds awesome! I have a Polar FT7 which I love, but I wear it only when I'm exercising, and yes I swear that is what motivates me!! lol if I'm ever around 359 cals, I'll make the extra effort to run to get to a whole number like 400, but hey whatever works right?!

Best of luck to you! Just keep at it!

Just looked at your pictures. WOW! Very inspirational!

Mrs Snark
03-19-2014, 08:04 PM
18.5 lbs lost over 4 weeks is truly awesome! Just keep making good choices, you're doing great!

CooCooCaChoo
03-19-2014, 11:13 PM
18.5 lbs lost over 4 weeks is truly awesome! Just keep making good choices, you're doing great!

Thank you. One month exactly today and 19.5!