Ideal Protein Diet - Cauliflower Rice - toppings?

View Full Version : Cauliflower Rice - toppings?

rmcjaug
03-16-2014, 11:03 AM
I am excited about trying the Cauliflower rice. I have to admit I was always more of a pasta fan than rice fan. One of the dishes I loved with rice was Red Beans which I cannot have on p1. What are some ways that you top your rice?

lisa32989
03-16-2014, 12:30 PM
I am excited about trying the Cauliflower rice. I have to admit I was always more of a pasta fan than rice fan. One of the dishes I loved with rice was Red Beans which I cannot have on p1. What are some ways that you top your rice?
Stir fried veggies
Buffalo chicken breast strips
I also make Spanish caulirice (using spices) and serve with carnitas
Roast beef & juices
Get creative!

rmcjaug
03-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Mmmmm...buffalo chicken. Great idea. That is one of my faves. Thanks!

jendilly
03-16-2014, 01:22 PM
I've pinned a fabulous "shrimp fried rice" recipe on Pinterest that so good. Not "fried" and not "rice", of course, but it tastes just like it. My kids love it. It's super basic...sautee garlic and red bell peppers. Add in the cauliflower. Cook it until it's a light brown. Add in the prawns (I just precook them). Add a little bit of soy sauce (I use reduced sodium) to taste. I also add some garlic powder for extra seasoning. Then you push it all to one side of your pan and cook up an egg in the same pan (scramble), then combine it all together. We make it often. You can also use chicken if you'd rather.

I've experimented a lot with the cauliflower rice, since it's so easy to make. I've used chicken broth and chicken pieces with different veggies (mushroom, peppers, etc) and various seasonings. My family always eats it up. My son doesn't like cauliflower cooked normally, but loves it as rice.

karkrazy13
03-16-2014, 01:40 PM
I've pinned a fabulous "shrimp fried rice" recipe on Pinterest that so good. Not "fried" and not "rice", of course, but it tastes just like it. My kids love it. It's super basic...sautee garlic and red bell peppers. Add in the cauliflower. Cook it until it's a light brown. Add in the prawns (I just precook them). Add a little bit of soy sauce (I use reduced sodium) to taste. I also add some garlic powder for extra seasoning. Then you push it all to one side of your pan and cook up an egg in the same pan (scramble), then combine it all together. We make it often. You can also use chicken if you'd rather.

I've experimented a lot with the cauliflower rice, since it's so easy to make. I've used chicken broth and chicken pieces with different veggies (mushroom, peppers, etc) and various seasonings. My family always eats it up. My son doesn't like cauliflower cooked normally, but loves it as rice.

How do you measure your "rice"? Do you measure out the raw florets first and then put it into the food processor to make "rice", or do you measure it after it's made into "rice" in the food processor?

The reason I ask is because I just threw the cauliflower into the food processor first (without measuring) and then filled 2 actual measuring cups of "rice" and it was sooooo much! :dizzy:

JLUS
03-16-2014, 05:34 PM
You really have to measure the flowerets out first. 2 cups of tiny shredded cauliflower would be WAYYYY too much!

I measure out all the cups that come from the cauliflower and then after I shred, I divide into that many servings (I usually have a one cup equivalent of "rice" and then another cup of veggies along with it, so I make my serving sizes for one cup equivelents.)

karkrazy13
03-16-2014, 06:33 PM
You really have to measure the flowerets out first. 2 cups of tiny shredded cauliflower would be WAYYYY too much!

I measure out all the cups that come from the cauliflower and then after I shred, I divide into that many servings (I usually have a one cup equivalent of "rice" and then another cup of veggies along with it, so I make my serving sizes for one cup equivelents.)

That makes so much more sense than the way I did it! ;) Thanks!

AmberLS
03-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Wow how did I not discover this alternative sooner. I made cauliflower rice for lunch with peppers and a little cabbage added soy sauce and I felt like I was eating Chinese! Besides all the great support I find here the new ideas are fantastic. Next weekend I'm trying the muffins.

TofuSprinkles
03-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Are you into curry?
My husband and I sometimes make chicken curry to top our Cauli rice.
We've experimented with various brands of curry that are also low carb, the "Kitchens of India Paste for Butter Chicken Curry" is by far the best one.

CarbLover443
03-17-2014, 01:01 PM
I made chicken fajitas and served it over the rice. I also make a chicken fried rice with soy sauce and ginger.

jojobananas
03-18-2014, 11:27 AM
Sometimes if I am just having the cauliflower rice on its own I use franks red hot buffalo sauce as a topper... that is my absolute FAVORITE way to eat it! Another condiment option is soy sauce, I use Braggs liquid aminos. You could also make some honey mustard sauce to put on top of it. Sometimes I use popcorn seasonings to flavor the "rice" they come in a whole bunch of flavors! If I make orange chicken I will put the chicken on top. Another great topper is seasoned ground beef. Hope you find something that is tasty for you :D

ems70508
03-18-2014, 11:32 AM
The other night I stir fried some extra firm tofu with peppers. It was delish. I actually took about 2 ounces of extra soft tofu and blended it into the caulirice. It made it even more like mashed potatoes because it acted as a glue and held the rice all together!

Staceyhay
03-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Last night I made Cauliflower rice with asparagus and chicken with soy sauce. I felt like I was eating a rice bowl. Yummy. I was barely able to get my 2 cups because the family loves cauli rice. Go figure, they usually won't touch rice, but now they are hooked. IP is making healthier kids that's for sure. :)

Johnsdeere
03-18-2014, 05:15 PM
I too have made the Shrimp "fried" rice from pinterest but, opted to use diced ham instead since we eat alot of chicken and my 14 month old is allergic to shrimp. It was soooo good. It felt like eatting "real" food. :)

rmcjaug
03-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Loving these ideas. I did the buffalo chicken over it and liked it, although it was a bit salty. Looking forward to a Chinese version next! Thanks so much for the ideas!

Munchy
03-27-2014, 03:26 PM
Gina also has a cilantro lime (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/10/cilantro-lime-cauliflower-rice.html) and a "fried" rice (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/03/cauliflower-fried-rice.html) version.

brelo
03-27-2014, 04:05 PM
The question of how to measure your cups of veggies has come up in the daily videos that IP sends out. Jae says you can STUFF a cup with spinach and it is a cup of spinach! You can shred your veggies into tiny pieces and fill a cup full. (once it cooks down it is so much less) I was so glad to hear that as I had been thinking it more appropriate to just "moderately" fill a cup. Do not forget though, that this is with raw veggies only!

Okay, my favorite way to eat cauli rice is to brown it in a pan with a little oil, then brown some ground beef, mix together and stuff a pepper. Then throw the whole thing in the oven. It is delish. I am not that creative with spices, but it is so good to me with just salt or garlic salt. I also use coconut oil when I brown it and it gives the rice an awesome flavor, but I don't believe coconut oil is on the approved list of oils, and I am too lazy right now to get up from my comfy spot and look on the sheet.

IPdivajen
03-27-2014, 04:30 PM
Try this recipe - sooooooo good! We make it all the time now. Can definitely sub the Braggs liquid aminos for soy sauce to save on sodium.

http://www.ideallyyou.ca/recipes/chinese-fried-rice

dak1lls
03-27-2014, 04:43 PM
Try this recipe - sooooooo good! We make it all the time now. Can definitely sub the Braggs liquid aminos for soy sauce to save on sodium.

http://www.ideallyyou.ca/recipes/chinese-fried-rice

This is delicious. When I first discovered it I felt like I must be cheating!

I also serve my "rice" with shrimp. I buy the precooked, in the shell) bags of frozen shrimp from Sam's Club. I thaw the shrimp well and I mix up my own blackening spices and sprinkle the shrimp pretty liberally. I let it sit for 15 minutes and then saute them in grapeseed oil. I remove it from the pan and then add a little fat free organic chicken stock to deglaze and simmer until it reduces. I sometimes add a little xanthan gum to thicken. I add the shrimp back in and pour over the "rice". It is so good!

Yayalaine
03-27-2014, 08:28 PM
I haven't tried cauli rice, yet. I've noticed that the recipes seem to call for stir-frying. Does it get soft or is it crunchy?

Hiker88
03-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Mine isn't soft but not crunchy either... love the texture..

ChipnDip
03-27-2014, 11:32 PM
I am or I guess I was a huge rice eater. I used to have fried rice as my go to for leftovers so my expectations were pretty high for this fried cauliflower rice. I barely like cauliflower. Puréed in soup or made into mash is about it. I think I could get to enjoy it more. I would probably like it in the stuffed pepper. It was surprisingly close in flavour and texture.

tbc85
03-28-2014, 11:55 AM
When I was growing up my mom would make a dish "little meats and rice"
8oz of lean ground beef, seasoned and cooked with onions/bell peppers/celery (i use frozen seasoning blend and "slap ya mama" seasoning) until browned. Place cooked ground beef over cauli rice and top with mustard! Yum!!

Ruth Ann
03-28-2014, 11:59 AM
8oz of lean ground beef, seasoned and cooked with onions/bell peppers/celery (i use frozen seasoning blend and "slap ya mama" seasoning) until browned. Place cooked ground beef over cauli rice and top with mustard! Yum!!

That sounds really good! I'd be careful with cooking the onions - make sure they don't get carmalized or just use raw onions as a topping.

tbc85
03-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Oh no, I don't let them carmalize them just cook until clear

Ruth Ann
03-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Oh no, I don't let them carmalize them just cook until clear

Perfect! I always worry when I see people cooking onions - not sure everyone gets the message that carmalizing onions releases the long chain sugars.

Fearciuil
03-28-2014, 05:17 PM
That sounds delicious ... I'll have to try that!

Jillybee123
03-29-2014, 07:31 PM
Had cauliflower rice for dinner! Yum! Loved it! I riced it in my blendtec with 2 pulses. Then scrambled 2 eggs, sautéed 6 oz chicken in grape seed oil, added 3 garlic cloves and some green onion (white parts). Then added a little less than 2 cups of the riced cauliflower and 2 tbs reduced sodium soy sauce and my Redmond salt for the day. Favorite meal so far, could eat this every day!

For the more experienced IPers, please let me know if I do anything off-plan I'm a newbie. I can have 8 oz protein, figured 2eggs and 6 oz chicken would equal that, am I correct?

IdealProteinNewbie
03-29-2014, 08:54 PM
Had cauliflower rice for dinner! Yum! Loved it! I riced it in my blendtec with 2 pulses. Then scrambled 2 eggs, sautéed 6 oz chicken in grape seed oil, added 3 garlic cloves and some green onion (white parts). Then added a little less than 2 cups of the riced cauliflower and 2 tbs reduced sodium soy sauce and my Redmond salt for the day. Favorite meal so far, could eat this every day!

For the more experienced IPers, please let me know if I do anything off-plan I'm a newbie. I can have 8 oz protein, figured 2eggs and 6 oz chicken would equal that, am I correct?

Welcome!

Each egg is 2 oz of protein so if you have 6 oz of chicken (measured raw) only add 1 egg.

Also, you have to measure the cauliflower rice before you put it in the blender otherwise it's more than 2 cups.

Jillybee123
03-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Welcome!

Each egg is 2 oz of protein so if you have 6 oz of chicken (measured raw) only add 1 egg.

Also, you have to measure the cauliflower rice before you put it in the blender otherwise it's more than 2 cups.

Oopsie, thanks for the info!:dizzy:

islandgirlwannabe
03-30-2014, 10:04 AM

Hi! I always fry mine with peppers and mushroom and when done top with green onions... yummmmmmmm

Fearciuil
03-31-2014, 12:54 AM
I tried an adaptation of this tonight, and it was YUMMY! Thanks for sharing it! :broc:

MustangMolly
03-31-2014, 11:06 AM
I love caulirice and just about anything! My latest is a Mexican chicken over "cilantro rice" peppers, onions, and tomato.

dak1lls
03-31-2014, 06:06 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already but amberjules has a recipe for Mexican Salsa Verde Rice on her web site and it is so good! It goes with her Chicken Salsa Verde recipe and she posts a link to it on the "rice" recipe.

www.lamberjules.com/recipes/ideal-protein-recipes/mexican-salsa-verde-rice-made-with-cauliflower/

I have made this many times and everyone loves it!

Hiker88
03-31-2014, 10:18 PM
I could never figure out if I was measuring the cauliflower right so I finally used google and found that 100g or 3.5oz of cauliflower is equal to one cup. Now I just weigh it!

dcs0826
03-31-2014, 10:41 PM
I made caulirice tonight with an egg, 6 oz of chicken, soy sauce, hot mustard seed, ginger, spring onion, and garlic. It was DELICIOUS!

Rubygirl
03-31-2014, 11:23 PM
Okay I usually don't say OMG but OMG I made the fried cauliflower rice and it was soooooo good. I added chicken and it was the best meal I've had on this program. Thank you who ever thought up that recipe!