Weight Loss Support - Have you ever been laughed at while working out?

df180
03-14-2014, 11:39 PM
Hi everyone,

Today I was working out, minding my own business, walking down the side of a highway… and a couple guys in a pickup truck slowed down beside me, I noticed they were filming me with an iphone in one hand and both were laughing at me, before driving away. I look in the mirror everyday and today was no different, I didn't have anything on my back...I don't think there is any logical explanation other than them making fun of me...

:?: :shrug:
I considered ending my workout early but I kept on walking and finished anyway. Although this incident is insignificant, it was also humiliating, and hurtful :( I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this? What do you tell yourself to feel better?

Thank you. Have a good day/evening.

hhm6
03-14-2014, 11:59 PM
Omg :hug:

People can be so rude. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and think they weren't doing something so mean, but some people are really that rude sometimes.

I started a thread awhile ago about this guy who approached me at Target when I was browsing their weights section. He looked at a cart next to me, that was not mine (it had lots of junk food in it), and then looked at me said " you know that's not going to help with your obesity right?" I felt so humiliated I just walked away.

It still stings a little now that I type it out, but people who do these things must not be good people if they feel the need to say things to people who are trying to better themselves. I have family members that make comments too, but now I just tune them out.

I'm also really glad you didn't stop your workout!!! I used to take things so badly, like run to the store and binge, now I know better. I also always remember that karma comes around!

Hope you don't have to experience that ever again, you're doing amazing, keep it up!

Steelslady
03-15-2014, 02:07 AM
Hi everyone,

Today I was working out, minding my own business, walking down the side of a highway… and a couple guys in a pickup truck slowed down beside me, I noticed they were filming me with an iphone in one hand and both were laughing at me, before driving away. I look in the mirror everyday and today was no different, I didn't have anything on my back...I don't think there is any logical explanation other than them making fun of me...

:?: :shrug:
I considered ending my workout early but I kept on walking and finished anyway. Although this incident is insignificant, it was also humiliating, and hurtful :( I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this? What do you tell yourself to feel better?

Thank you. Have a good day/evening.
Honestly, I am more worried about your safety than the hurt that these jerks caused you. To get that close to you to film you kind of frightens me. Did you get their license plate number? I would have called the cops, told them what happened, that they video taped you without your permission. To me, that's rather creepy, what they did, and is not normal. Do you know how old these guys were?

Don't let fools like this upset you. You have done fantastic with your weight loss, and ignorant idiots are out there everywhere. If it isn't people's weight, it's the color of their hair, their glasses, their teeth, etc. Even celebrities get it from fools- take a look at some comments on TMZ or Twitter- even the most beautiful actresses or handsomest men get nasty things said and done to them. There are just immature fools everywhere, though rare that something like this happens, but it does sometimes, and you just have to shrug it off. Again, I am much more concerned about your safety than anything else- you know how hard you've worked and how good you look and feel, you don't need their approval, but please please, if you see them again, get their license plate and call the cops........

df180
03-15-2014, 02:47 AM
Honestly, I am more worried about your safety than the hurt that these jerks caused you. To get that close to you to film you kind of frightens me. Did you get their license plate number? I would have called the cops, told them what happened, that they video taped you without your permission. To me, that's rather creepy, what they did, and is not normal. Do you know how old these guys were?

Don't let fools like this upset you. You have done fantastic with your weight loss, and ignorant idiots are out there everywhere. If it isn't people's weight, it's the color of their hair, their glasses, their teeth, etc. Even celebrities get it from fools- take a look at some comments on TMZ or Twitter- even the most beautiful actresses or handsomest men get nasty things said and done to them. There are just immature fools everywhere, though rare that something like this happens, but it does sometimes, and you just have to shrug it off. Again, I am much more concerned about your safety than anything else- you know how hard you've worked and how good you look and feel, you don't need their approval, but please please, if you see them again, get their license plate and call the cops........

Thank you, both of you.
No I didn't think of looking the license plate at the time, I sure I'm safe though. They were both in their mid 20's I would guess.

Pattience
03-15-2014, 03:51 AM
Yes i had something similar but it was nothing to do with my weight but the colour of my bike - it was an old model and quite psychellic but i loved it anyway. These people are just image conscious and shallow. The thing is guys are more cruel than women. Guys just love to laugh at women. It boosts their weak egos and makes them feel strong and powerful.

So ignore the f*ckers. They are simply not worth a second thought from you.

Serenity100
03-15-2014, 07:42 AM
By your ticker it looks like you have lost 80 lbs. That's fantastic!

Let those two clowns laugh. Those who laugh LAST laugh BEST. Did Shakespeare say that? Whomever, it is my favorite saying.

Or like we say in NY, EFF them. :D

MauiKai
03-15-2014, 08:06 AM
Their actions speak to THEIR issues, not yours. ;)

yoyoma
03-15-2014, 08:10 AM
First of all, :hug: :hug:

This says a lot about those guys and their culture and nothing about you.

When I lived in the city, which was before lots of people had cell phones, I sometimes had young guys slow down to yell some insult at me out the car window (I specifically remember one time it was a lengthy "Mooooooo!"). And I was just walking, not power walking or anything and I never wear shorts or short skirts so I doubt there was much to attract attention. I think things like that happen a lot more often when there is more than one of them together. Like I said, it speaks volumes about them and nothing about us.

Wannabeskinny
03-15-2014, 08:50 AM
It's unfortunate that happened, and it sucks big time. There you are minding your own business and someone puts you down for no other reason than to just be a jerk. Think of those guys, someone had to raise them to be like that, think how awful their parents are, think how small their lives must be to treat someone like that.

As women we get the brunt of abuse and at times it's harsh like this but other times it's deceiving too. Like do you ever get told by strange men on the corner to "smile honey!" I find that so annoying and belittling. As if I'm put on this earth to grace your eyesight or something. We are objectified so much in the media, airbrushed away in magazines, that men get the impression that we enjoy being scrutinized. Well, let them curl up with a magazine then because guys like that wouldn't understand real beauty if it hit them over the head.

I remember a similar instance that was very hurtful to me. I must have been much thinner back than, I'd guess around 175lbs or so. I was on vacation on a beautiful beach and I had just gone for a long swim in the ocean. When I came out of the water I lay face down in the sand just enjoying its warmth and catching my breath. To this day I can remember how good it felt and how happy I was. The beach was not very crowded and although I had some body hangups I was enjoying myself and not feeling too self conscious in a bathing suit those days, especially that moment. As I lay there basking in the sun a group of young guys walked by me and said "EWWWWW, why is that fattie showing us her a$$??? Like we wanna see that???!!!! Gross!" I pretended no to hear them but there it is, 15yrs later and I still remember it word for word.

Yea yea, sticks and stones blah blah. The truth is when someone tells you they are disgusted by you it's hard to brush it off. But we must! and it's true that it says more about their character than it says about us!

Steelslady
03-15-2014, 10:16 AM
Yes i had something similar but it was nothing to do with my weight but the colour of my bike -

Thank you- you made my point perfectly! Like I said above in my post- if it isn't weight, it's hair, teeth, glasses, clothes, bikes, good grief, people will find anything to insult, whether it's deserved or not, just to be jerks.

I've also seen women snicker behind guys backs- it's not just guys who are mean and immature. As others have already said, it reflects on them, not you. Personally, if one of my kids ever did this to someone, I would be ashamed of them, and I would read them the riot act if I caught them. Sadly, though, as the old saying goes, "the apple don't fall far from the tree"- so true, in very many cases.

novangel
03-15-2014, 10:34 AM
I never had anyone laugh but I had an ex employer that would tell me I was "too fat" all the time. He would go as far as to pinch my under arm and say "see"? I eventually lost it and told him off. I'm shocked I didn't get fired. I actually went and apologized fearing losing my job but told him why I was so pissed. You'd think a 45 year old, college educated man would know better? They obviously don't teach tact and moral decency in Dental school.

Reason #893 I don't miss being a dental assistant.

I'd be pissed if anyone filmed me for malicious purpose.

EasySpirit
03-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Years ago, at my highest weight of 200+, I was walking across my college campus. I had on a new outfit and thought my hair looked great. Suddenly, this hippie-type guy said, "Hi, FAT GIRL," I was crushed. I just kept walking. That was 40+ years ago, and I still remember the outfit I had on, how good I was feeling that day until that creep said that. I wished many times I had said something - "Hi, ugly a** hole!" or something. But, I do think I handled it the best way. It is hard to believe that has stayed with me for so long. I hope he has had a miserable life.

TamTam
03-15-2014, 03:29 PM
I am so sorry that you had to meet such jerks. I am glad you kept on going. People can have such hardened hearts. You hold you head up and don't let anybody bring you down. As far as the jerks go-God don't sleep (as my moma used to say)! God bless you with success.:hug:

alaskanlaughter
03-15-2014, 03:39 PM
if someone filmed me like that I would be calling the cops immediately....that in and of itself is super creepy and goes beyond a simple "making fun" comment....i'll bet you anything that you're not the only one they've done that too

I've never had anyone make fun of me while working out but I can imagine that would be hard to brush off and definitely reflects on them and has nothing to do with you

LadyPetite
03-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Once, a few years ago at a gym. I was working on an elliptical and there was a trainer right in front of me helping a slim, fit, petite girl on the stair climbing machine. He kept looking at me and chuckling silently and when the girl was done, he whispered something in her ear, she turned to look at me and both of them burst out laughing.

I was embarrassed but I finished my workout. The next day I walked into the main office and quit, telling them about my experience with the trainer and that I didn't feel comfortable working in a place where the trainer himself is judgemental and condescending instead of helpful and encouraging.

I'm sure they don't care, losing business from one person. But it hurt enough for me to never want to go back there again.

fadedbluejeans
03-15-2014, 06:11 PM
One time I was walking down the street to my car and a truck drove by and one of the guys yelled out "you need to hit the lettuce!"

IanG
03-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Yes. It's a rite of passage. I do the laughing now. Mostly at the people that laughed at me.

monmis12
03-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Yup, happened to my mom and I when we were in the middle of our weight loss. We were walking on the dirt road we lived off of and a neighbor passed us and took the time to stop and write "Look at the two fat heifers" on a piece of paper and anchor it with a rock. Its gotta be a really messed up person, you know? We had never done anything to that neighbor! As others have said, just shake it off!

freelancemomma
03-15-2014, 10:56 PM
When I was a student and in a heavier phase, I had a part-time job in a restaurant. One of the cooks kept asking me why my hips were so wide. How on earth does one answer such a question? At 21 I sure didn't know.

On the plus side, around this time last year (age 56) I was going for a run in Texas, and a guy driving by rolled down his car window and said, "It's always the ones who don't need it who are working out. That's a compliment, by the way!" It totally made my day.

There are jerks and there are good guys. I say, give the jerks the mental finger and move on.

F.

Wannabeskinny
03-16-2014, 09:09 AM
When I was a student and in a heavier phase, I had a part-time job in a restaurant. One of the cooks kept asking me why my hips were so wide. How on earth does one answer such a question? At 21 I sure didn't know.

On the plus side, around this time last year (age 56) I was going for a run in Texas, and a guy driving by rolled down his car window and said, "It's always the ones who don't need it who are working out. That's a compliment, by the way!" It totally made my day.

There are jerks and there are good guys. I say, give the jerks the mental finger and move on.

F.

Why does anyone feel the need to say anything at all? I'd be peeved at the so called good guy too because he too is making assumptions about you. I don't need compliments anymore than I need insults. Either way I'm feeling watched and judged.

Lunula
03-17-2014, 02:02 PM
OMG! How incredibly childish and, well, just plain stupid. I commend you for continuing your workout, that's really amazing. People can say things like, "it doesn't matter what those jerks say or do!" but in reality, almost all of us ARE concerned with what others do and say to varying degrees, and when you're already so vulnerable, it makes what you did so much more fabulous. I can't even FATHOM making fun of someone because they are working out. I see people of all shapes, sizes and ages at the gym and I think it's fantastic to see everyone.

Congrats on not giving up!!!!

thinin08
03-17-2014, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE=df180;496353
I considered ending my workout early but I kept on walking and finished anyway. Although this incident is insignificant, it was also humiliating, and hurtful :( I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this? What do you tell yourself to feel better?[/QUOTE]

I AM SO VERY PROUD OF YOU for finishing your workout! My favorite workout is also brisk walking. I walk for miles and mile. I have been oinked at, mooed at, had a drink thrown out a car window at me.

Take a look at where you started and look at where you are now. Amazing! You keep going girl.

Alas, there are waaaaay too many stupid ignorant people in this world. Rise high above them.

Locke
03-17-2014, 03:04 PM
I have had a weight problem most of my life and I have not been treated kindly by others. In middle school I got a new pair of jeans for Christmas and I proudly wore them to school instead of shorts one day- my friend commented about how great I looked *in pants* with the connotation being that I don't look good in shorts. I have never worn shorts since. Ever.

In high school when I began feeling self conscious and having feelings for the opposite sex for the first time I had a couple of boys come up to me and ask for my number, only to laugh at me as their friends laughed in the background. As an undergrad I had cars full of young men laugh at me as I peddled my bike home.

Nowadays few people have made comments about my appearance. It's the lack of attention from the opposite sex that speaks volumes. I feel so ugly and grotesque and yet still somehow invisible to others. I also have picked up the slack with my own demeaning and harsh self dialogue. I call myself worthless, ugly, nasty, not worthy, etc. I'm trying to change but it is hard. The one thing above all else I try to do is to not let it get me off track. It's irrational to let ugly thoughts about my weight get between me and losing weight.

Radiojane
03-17-2014, 03:22 PM
About a week ago I had three girls in their early teens holler stuff about how I should be dieting to "deal with my fat ***". They were so brave that they waited until I went into a bathroom stall to say it, giggle and then take off.

They will get their's. Believe me. You've done amazing. Don't let them get you down.

MauiKai
03-17-2014, 04:38 PM
I will share two similar incidents that happened to me and they still sting a bit even though they were years ago.

The first was when I was 16ish. I was out with a guy who I had known for probably 6 months but it was our first (and then ONLY date after his comment). He turns to me and says "You know, you would be the perfect girl...except for your hips." I didn't even have words to reply to that. It's fair to note that when this happened I was 6'1" tall and weighed 145-150lbs. I am built very hourglassy and even when I had not a speck of fat on me my hips were wide and my waist very narrow and my top the same as my hips. That comment has made me self conscious of my hips my whole life.

The second comment I got was one day when I was getting off a plane. Again this was BEFORE I gained weight, same as above. I was wearing a pair of short khaki shorts. Not booty shorts short, just not quite as long as my fingertips when my arms were at my sides short. I had on a sleeveless mock turtle neck shirt that was not tight, but fitted. I heard two girls giggling behind me and one said "She really should lose at least 10 lbs before wearing that." I turned around and they were staring at me. Again I did not comment. I refuse to lower myself to that. I'm not going to become like them. But those things are still hurtful.

TooWicky
03-18-2014, 02:33 AM
:hug: I'm of a slightly older generation, and, honestly, the fact that people can take pictures of anyone and film anyone pretty much anywhere out in public makes me exceedingly uncomfortable. I'm super sorry that happened! What rude idiots. You keep doing what you're doing. They are really non-entities, in my book.

I got a hurtful remark when I was working out at a gym once. This was many years ago when I was quite slim. I naturally have broad shoulders and a muscular upper body for a woman. A man elbowed his friend and said, "She looks like a man" in a very disgusted voice. I was completely within earshot, and he didn't care at all - it was as if I wasn't even a person to him. It stung, but did not stop my working out. I. hate. bullies. My parents fortified me with titanium self esteem, for which I will be forever grateful. It has helped me weather lots of cruel commentary from men over the years.

MauiKai
03-18-2014, 07:37 AM
I will never understand WHY people feel the need to tear another human down like that.

Mrs Snark
03-18-2014, 04:09 PM
I think so many of us have had this happen.

I was out fast walking in my neighborhood one day, really putting in the effort to go as fast as possible while still only walking (which I know can look a little silly, but whatever) and a car full of adults (both men and women) went by and one shouted,"Try running, fatso!" and then everyone laughed. It was a woman who did the shouting.

What can you do. There are a lot of jerky people out there.

hhm6
03-18-2014, 04:26 PM
Gosh, some of these stories make me so sad :( I'm a firm believer in karma in one way or another things always come back around, not that I wish it upon anyone, but you should never treat others this way, especially when they're trying to better themselves. :hug:

:hug: I'm of a slightly older generation, and, honestly, the fact that people can take pictures of anyone and film anyone pretty much anywhere out in public makes me exceedingly uncomfortable. I'm super sorry that happened! What rude idiots. You keep doing what you're doing. They are really non-entities, in my book.

I got a hurtful remark when I was working out at a gym once. This was many years ago when I was quite slim. I naturally have broad shoulders and a muscular upper body for a woman. A man elbowed his friend and said, "She looks like a man" in a very disgusted voice. I was completely within earshot, and he didn't care at all - it was as if I wasn't even a person to him. It stung, but did not stop my working out. I. hate. bullies. My parents fortified me with titanium self esteem, for which I will be forever grateful. It has helped me weather lots of cruel commentary from men over the years.

I had to double check your avatar and your first sentence, lol!! You look so young and you have amazing hair!!

I also have been told that my arms/back have a "man's frame" before, yeah every girl wants to hear that, oy. Growing up, remarks about my weight have been more hurtful than anything else!

Occheermommy
03-18-2014, 04:40 PM
People are so rude and insensitive. And immature. When I was 20 I didn't think I would be overweight some day. Just let yourself have comfort knowing that chances are one or both of them will be obese in their lifetimes and then maybe someone will laugh at them. What jerks.
Kudos to you for finishing your workout. That shows you are not only the better person, but it is a way of laughing back at them. Good for you.

LiannaKole
03-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Yep. I was on a walk at my campus and a whole group of students (at least 6 of them both male and female, who were very loud even before I got close) stopped and stared at me, laughed, and made rude comments about my appearance. I ignored them and kept walking, and they thankfully didn't follow me.

I considered flipping them off or something, but I went with the "pretend they're not there" approach. While not as satisfying, there were a lot of them, I was alone, and usually no reaction is exactly what bullies don't want. In short, it was the safer option.

While it's certainly uncomfortable, at the end of the day those people are no one to you and don't matter at all. I think you handled it very well.

It's one thing to feel embarrassed when that happens, it's another to let it affect your behaviors. You didn't let it affect what you did - you just kept on with your workout. That's the way to handle idiots most times.

noshoes
03-18-2014, 11:16 PM
Wow, that is low and immature. I say even insecure.

It still stings that when I was all if 7 I was called Fatso at school. I was in no way overweight but by the next year I was.

My SIL is morbidly obese, she is trying her best to change her lifestyle and I am so inspired for her. We were in the City with my kids and some young women sniggered and made some heartless remarks about her weight. I was so relieved she didn't hear them, it broke my heart. ( Unfortunately she probably has heard it from others).

I am so weary of people seeing me run, walk or even cycle despite losing weight. Most people are supportive though. I don't go on the main roads, usually on the bike path. I am weary of young men - sad that. Even my 8yo thinks all male teenagers are bullies, need to change that idea.

samcrokitty
03-19-2014, 09:05 AM
So sorry that happened to you. People can be such jerks! It amazes me how many people will be so ugly to another person just to make their friends laugh. I don't want friends like that. Luckily, I have never had that happen (that I heard anyways) but I do worry about it when I am out walking. I especially cringe when I hear a school bus come by because I always think that if it's going to happen, it will be then. Good for you for keeping on walking though.....don't let ignorant people keep you from your goals! :hug:

nonameslob
03-19-2014, 11:36 AM
So so sorry for anyone this has happened to. This is why I was so nervous to leave the YMCA (couldn't afford it anymore) for a new gym. I was so comfortable there and worried the new gym would be full of jocks that would make fun of me. Turns out everyone there has been super nice and nonjudgmental.

I just don't understand the point of putting someone down for doing something good for their body. Regardless of how much you weigh, if you're working out, you deserve a high five!

VermontMom
03-19-2014, 11:57 AM
I am so sorry those a-holes were such jerks. There are so many awful people in the world, but also a bunch of us rooting for you :carrot: I'm so glad you still finished your scheduled walk without letting them derail you. I have to commend you for not hurling a rock at them :p though I know I should not promote that, would be unsafe. But fun to think of :p You've lost 80 pounds?! CONGRATS!!

I haven't been made fun of while working out, most of my life's teasing (yeah, it was called 'teasing' back in the 60's and 70's, lol ) was when I was a kid, but 40 years later I remember every ... single ... incident of being called fat, or that I had 'sausage legs' (by my best friend!!) or a 'whale' (by my sister).

VermontMom
03-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Great point that someone made, that even freakin perfect looking celebrities get horrible tweets. Someone said Rob Lowe 'looks like he has cancer'. Or Christina Applegate 'is a slutty slut'. What the eff?

HungryInNewZealand
04-30-2014, 05:51 AM
Late to the game here but this thread reminded me of the time when I went to an exercise class at the gym with a co-worker. This was in my skinny days but I've never been coordinated. Any way, the music started and the two instructors started demonstrating the movements and I just couldn't keep up. They stood close to each other and started whispering and glancing at me and then cracked up. Then the guy walked over to me and said he would try and help teach me the moves but he gave up eventually. I turned and walked out of the class and never renewed my membership when it ran out.

Wannabeskinny
04-30-2014, 07:51 AM
Late to the game here but this thread reminded me of the time when I went to an exercise class at the gym with a co-worker. This was in my skinny days but I've never been coordinated. Any way, the music started and the two instructors started demonstrating the movements and I just couldn't keep up. They stood close to each other and started whispering and glancing at me and then cracked up. Then the guy walked over to me and said he would try and help teach me the moves but he gave up eventually. I turned and walked out of the class and never renewed my membership when it ran out.

That's awful. Don't you wish now that you had reported them? All I can think about is how many people have they done this to since without any reprecussions?

Waterbunny77
04-30-2014, 08:34 AM
Those guys were just plain idiots. There's nothing funny about a person exercising though I know it hurt. Trust me, they have more problems that you do and it shows their IQ. They were trying to hurt you because of their own low self esteem and had too much time on their hands.

SkylarLeeDixon
04-30-2014, 10:00 AM
The ones who should feel ashamed are thos two guys, not you! and a BIG CONGRATULATIONS for not stopping because of a couple of *******s!

You keep doing what you do! and know that this overweight you have now is only temporary, their pathetic personality is for life!

I have two co workers so have humilliated me several times! "you will never be thin", "you will never fit into my vest!" well guess what, I wore HIS vest yesterday and fitted me better than him, just to see the look on his face!

Be proud of what you are doing cause you know exactly how hard and painful it is to lose weight and work that hard!

FleurDeLis
04-30-2014, 10:37 AM
It is so sad that people get enjoyment out of doing things like this to others... :(In high school, my friend and I were new to the cross country team. Small school, so we were still able to make the team regardless of how slow we were. We were both in decent shape (not over weight), but we still had kids from our school yell at us when we were running or tell us later that it didn't even look like we were running, we shouldn't be on the cross country team. We stuck through it till the end of the season and both of us improved substantially. Just had to put all the comments to use and run harder.

Then about two years ago I was riding my bike and a truck sped up and nearly hit me. I could hear laughing and if I remember I, yes I said "I", was flipped off by them. Like I was the one that did something wrong! I was soooo mad..

HungryInNewZealand
05-01-2014, 02:09 AM
Yes wannabeskinny, I probably should've but I was mortified and left. Now when I see folks how are heavier and/or older than me running or walking or just doing something I think good on them because they're lapping everyone on the couch.

Wannabeskinny
05-01-2014, 08:05 AM
Yes wannabeskinny, I probably should've but I was mortified and left. Now when I see folks how are heavier and/or older than me running or walking or just doing something I think good on them because they're lapping everyone on the couch.

I can completely understand. There have been times in my life where I wish if only I could go back and redo! Listen, walking out of there was brave too, you cared about yourself enough not to subject yourself to that kind of abuse.

mb2004
05-01-2014, 08:37 AM
I seriously hope that if you can PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE report these issues. OP you definitely should have called the cops, thats inappropriate and unsafe.

and all of you who were ridiculed by gym workers, you may not think that reporting to higher ups will do anything but, I know if that happened at the gym I worked at there would be MAJOR issues.

katerina11
05-01-2014, 08:51 AM
in jr high i was 5'5" and 138 lbs. i wore a save the whales shirt and the running joke in my class became "save the whales, harpoon katerina"

the first in a long line of mean things about being fat.

Fallen12ain
05-01-2014, 02:18 PM
I had something like this happen. I was walking along the highway and a few guys in a blue pickup started hooping and hollering out that I was fat and needed to get off the road and cover up. ( I wore long pants and a spaghetti strap shirt during workouts) This happened a few times with the same guys, mainly because I walked the same route around the same time of day, and I think the knew I would be there. About a week into it, I finally started getting fed up with the hateful comments and I wore a white T-shirt. Of course, on it I had written " I might be fat, but I look better than you" on the back. They stopped harassing me after that. I guess they figured they weren't hurting me as much as they wanted to.

Streudel
05-01-2014, 07:47 PM
I had something like this happen. I was walking along the highway and a few guys in a blue pickup started hooping and hollering out that I was fat and needed to get off the road and cover up. ( I wore long pants and a spaghetti strap shirt during workouts) This happened a few times with the same guys, mainly because I walked the same route around the same time of day, and I think the knew I would be there. About a week into it, I finally started getting fed up with the hateful comments and I wore a white T-shirt. Of course, on it I had written " I might be fat, but I look better than you" on the back. They stopped harassing me after that. I guess they figured they weren't hurting me as much as they wanted to.

Awesome!!! You are my hero!

I've always told haters that I can fix my fat but there's no fixing their stupid.

nostoneunturned
05-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Oof. When I was about 10 I was super overweight, which sucked extra hard since all my peers were skinny kids, I was one of two overweight kids in the entire grade. I'm still self-conscious about things that were said to me in that time period. In sixth grade a boy I had a crush on told me I should never wear shorts because my legs are too fat. Now I rarely wear shorts ever, even at home by myself.

Another time I was wearing a winter jacket from my favorite sports team. It was a men's coat since the kids' ones were too small. It was pretty puffy on me but I loved it so much. Anyway I was walking in the mall by myself and these two teen girls were walking behind me giggling. I can't remember if they said something but I knew they were giggling at me, and ever since then quiet giggles when I walk into a room or past the gigglers, even if not directed at me, make me feel incredibly self-conscious.

Eh so I guess these aren't workout related but moments that forever affected how I feel about myself and my body. Sad isn't it?

Sasha29
05-01-2014, 10:37 PM
If you have a description of the men and the vehicle, you should file a police report. You probably aren't the first or the last person they've harassed.

Unfortunately, I've had my own experiences with people laughing at me because of my weight, though nothing nearly as bad as the jerks with the video camera. My office is right up the hall from Human Resources, and I have to pass by their office to go anywhere. The HR office is full of tall, skinny women with perfectly styled hair and expensive clothes. I'm short and, well, not thin. After heavy rain one day, I slipped on a wet floor outside their office and landed flat on my face. Instead of asking if I was okay, I heard one of them snicker and refer to me as "Humpty Dumpty." It made me feel short, fat, and frumpy. After that, I started making a point of avoiding them as much as possible.

nostoneunturned
05-03-2014, 09:20 AM
If you have a description of the men and the vehicle, you should file a police report. You probably aren't the first or the last person they've harassed.

Unfortunately, I've had my own experiences with people laughing at me because of my weight, though nothing nearly as bad as the jerks with the video camera. My office is right up the hall from Human Resources, and I have to pass by their office to go anywhere. The HR office is full of tall, skinny women with perfectly styled hair and expensive clothes. I'm short and, well, not thin. After heavy rain one day, I slipped on a wet floor outside their office and landed flat on my face. Instead of asking if I was okay, I heard one of them snicker and refer to me as "Humpty Dumpty." It made me feel short, fat, and frumpy. After that, I started making a point of avoiding them as much as possible.

Wow Sasha that is so sad and unbelievably WRONG. Human Resources are the people there to help you with issues not creating them! What b*t*hes!!! I'm super angry for you :mad:

SusanB357
05-04-2014, 06:44 PM
That is just absolutely ridiculous some people can get be real immature. The fact that you finished your workout lets people know that you are determined to get to your goal weight. Do not let any person degrade you in such a manner. Just do you and feel amazing after your workout. :) ;)

BigNomore71
05-04-2014, 07:07 PM
I am Indian and this happened in India. About 4 yrs ago, I weighed about 193 lbs (my height is 5'6"). I went to India for a marriage and then I went to a jewel showroom to purchase something nice for the bride who was related to me. I was not 'fat' in my opinion, as I used to think being in Onederland for 5'6" height isn't too bad, maybe I was on the chubby side. Anyway, when I was going around the store looking at various displays, I stopped near one of them to check out an attractive necklace. So I asked the salesperson there to take it out and show me. For that, point blank, he asked me with a nice gesture with this arms indicating 'fatness', "So is the lady who you're buying this for is as FAT as you? Or is she thin?". I was totally mad at this insulting gesture from a very arrogant salesman but I just swallowed my pride and did say that the bride was very thin. I thought many times later what would have been an appropriate reply, but still can't figure that out. (The salesperson was thin).

laciemn
05-04-2014, 07:21 PM
No, but I am excessively self-conscious and basically I freeze up in front of people when I'm exercising. I won't run if someone is out on their porch or drives by me in a car. I just try to pretend to be walking or something.

I love being outdoors, but I usually exercise inside because I'm too embarrassed. :?:

However, I did wear a sleeveless shirt today and felt okay about it and even passed some people. I still think my arms looked a bit fat, but overall, I liked how it looked.

Keep on keepin on!