Atkins - Are all liquid sweeteners created equal???

cattwoman222
03-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Ok, talk to me about liquid sweeteners. I usually use granular Splenda for recipes and Splenda packets to sweeten coffee or iced tea. Several recipes are way less carbs if you use liquid Splenda as opposed to granular. I can't find liquid Splenda except for online. I was in the Nature's Marketplace of my regular grocery store today (buying almond flour) and I asked the lady if she had it since she knows me well....she ordered Jacob's goat's milk for a year and a half....and she said she didn't carry liquid Splenda but had liquid Stevia. So I got NuNaturals Pure Liquid Alcohol Free Stevia (they had all different flavors) today. So...if a recipe calls for 5 drops of liquid Splenda, would I just use 5 drops of the liquid Stevia?

newme12
03-12-2014, 05:33 AM
Sorry I don't use the liquid sweeteners (yet). But if I had to make a guess I would say it would be the same :o

JerseyGyrl
03-12-2014, 10:49 AM
Ok, talk to me about liquid sweeteners. I usually use granular Splenda for recipes and Splenda packets to sweeten coffee or iced tea. Several recipes are way less carbs if you use liquid Splenda as opposed to granular. I can't find liquid Splenda except for online. I was in the Nature's Marketplace of my regular grocery store today (buying almond flour) and I asked the lady if she had it since she knows me well....she ordered Jacob's goat's milk for a year and a half....and she said she didn't carry liquid Splenda but had liquid Stevia. So I got NuNaturals Pure Liquid Alcohol Free Stevia (they had all different flavors) today. So...if a recipe calls for 5 drops of liquid Splenda, would I just use 5 drops of the liquid Stevia?

Liquid sweeteners can be very confusing and are not all created equal.

According to the NuNaturals website, the liquid Stevia you purchased says 6 drops is equal to 1 teaspoon sugar. As for liquid Splenda, it varies by brand. For example, Ez-Sweetz 2 oz., 2 drops are equal to 2 teaspoons sugar. Ez-Sweetz 1/2 oz., 1 drop is equal to 2 teaspoons sugar. Trishz's is 8 drops to equal 2 teaspoons sugar. Keep in mind, 1 packet of granular Splenda is equal to 2 teaspoons sugar.

I have never used it but, I understand Stevia can have a bitter aftertaste. You may want to keep this in mind and begin with using a small amount:)

cattwoman222
03-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Oh that's awesome, thanks! I guess I should have thought to look at their website.....I use Linda's (genaw.com) recipes a lot and she always uses liquid Splenda or granular Splenda. So I should have this right (I AM a math teacher after all....):

16 tbsps in 1 cup
3 tsps in 1 tbsp
so.....48 tsps in a cup.

6 drops of the liquid Stevia = 1tsp and if there are 48 tsps in my recipe that calls for a cup of sugar, then that's 48*6 = 288 drops? That can't be right....

Not to mention....all of her recipes are using Splenda not sugar. Her recipes just say "1 cup granular Splenda or the liquid equivalent". Ugh....guess I'll have to convert the Splenda BACK into sugar and then the sugar into liquid Stevia?

JerseyGyrl
03-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Its all very confusing:?::?::?:
According to what I read online, 2 1/2 teaspoons liquid Stevia is the equalivant of 1 cup sugar (1 cup of granular Splenda is equalivant to 1 cup sugar).

cattwoman222
03-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Ok that definitely helps!!! I'll have to see if 2 1/2 tsp is 288 drops.....yeah, 'cause I got that kinda time! :D Thanks again!