Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #1  

Question Newbie here: Wants to know easy diet ideas

Hello Everyone,

I am now wanting to lose those extra pounds I gained by my over eating over past few months. My target is to lose 25-30 pounds as soon as I can.
I am a full-time married working women (Fortunately no kids yet). This explains a bit about my situation.

I mainly wanna concentrate on my eating habits as I get less time for work-outs (highly impossible with other commitments). I want to lose weight by eating healthy and easily affordable and available meal/diet plans.

Please share your ideas/experiences/information that could help me. Will be much appreciated

Eagerly waiting to start it and shed those pounds.

Thanks heaps in advance

Jan
jan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Hello and welcome, good luck on embarking on a new journey towards health and longevity. I know it's tempting to want weightloss to happen fast but around here we like to take it one step at a time, tackling our behaviors around food and incorporating healthy new habits.

There are many "diets" around here that people swear by. They all have something to offer - there's calorie counting using a calorie counting app like MyFitnessPal or LoseIt, there's low-carbing, Intuitive Eating, Intermittent Fasting, and the good old "eat less move more." Whichever you choose just remember to make a few better choices throughout the day, eat as many fresh veggies as you can, avoid processed food and fast food, drink water instead of calorie-full beverages, and take care of your portion sizes.

A lot of people have time constraints when it comes to exercise. But exercise does not have to be something that takes a lot of time out from your day. I can imagine that the thought of going to the gym, taking a class, showering afterwards and then heading home sounds like a huge sacrifice of time - that's why I don't do that. I'm a mommy and I can't afford to take such a large chunk of time out of my day for exercise - for those who are single, don't have kids yet and have more time to devote to themselves then yes it's awesome and I used to do it and enjoyed it while I could. I always say that while you don't have kids it's all about YOU, enjoy it. But it's not possible now, not until my little one is firmly in a dayschool.

Instead I try to be active throughout the entire day. I wear a pedometer and take every opportunity to walk that I can. I park far away from the entrance to the building, I take the stairs instead of the elevator, I walk to the market instead of drive, I take my son out for a walk once or twice a day, if I was in an office building I'd take little walk breaks and use my lunch hour to walk outside. Vegging infront of the tv after work? Take that time to do a few lunges or get a treadmill. I like to do squats during commercial breaks and tv time means upper body free weights. There are ways to inject exercise into your day.

Last edited by Palestrina; 03-10-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Welcome! I have to laugh (just a little) at the phrase "easy diet ideas".

I mean, I get what you're saying, and you can find lots of "easy ideas" for getting healthy -- eat less and move more -- is the one that comes to mind. Brilliantly simple and easy to grasp, yet soooooooo hard for so many of us to implement without tons of hard, hard, HARD work.

Good advice in the post above mine, and there are lots of great posts all over the site with tons of information -- there's a plan here for everyone (the beer, canned fish, and running plan being just one of the most unique and awesomely effective to my admiring mind!).

Good luck!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Another vote for "eat less move more" - that's the easiest way to start, you can become obsessed with methodology, literature and crunching numbers once the first few pounds fall off and need a little more :P

Protein and fat keep you fuller longer than sugars and simple carbs like pasta and bread. You can eat a TON of salad or vegetables for the same calorie amount as a Lean Cuisine.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #5  
Less of a Better Me

If you want do it yourself, then calorie counting works well. Just go to My Fitness Pal and set up an account and start counting calories. If you want more guidance, then I'm a Weight Watchers members and Weight Watchers has 2 different eating plan. One plan is where each food is assigned a point value and you eat a certain number of points. The other is Simply Filling where you don't count points but certain foods are restricted/limited. WW can be done online, but I think for most people going to meetings is more effective. I find the weekly weigh in helps me stay accountable.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #6  

Thanks girls for the suggestions. Already started with 'eat less and move more' and feeling better already.

Everyday I am walking my dog 4km. Keep you posted and thanks for your support
jan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote