Ideal Protein Diet - IP Weekend Chat Sat 3/8 - Sun 3/9/2014

lisa32989
03-08-2014, 08:50 AM
:welcome2:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on plan

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/243142-have-question-about-ip-read-here-first-before-posting-question.html): Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads,
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html)and here are the most recent Ideal Protein Protocol sheets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4701599-post49.html)

And before you cheat, read this thread:
The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/221536-real-cost-cheating-ideal-protein.html)

Before starting new threads: spend some time reading the forum. Most new threads are duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates. Folks who are the most successful, make time for research/reading.

More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow.html)
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268669-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-volumn-2-a.html)
Fun with Ideal Protein Packets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212175-fun-ideal-protein-packets.html)
Fun with Veggie Purees! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html)
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/273856-ideal-protein-diet-recipes-4-a.html)
Tips and Recipes from the Incredible Weight Loss Center (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270950-ideal-protein-tips-recipes-incredible-weight-loss-center.html)

For those looking for alternative products
Here is a thread with tons of info. Spend some time in it. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270731-alternative-products-will-work-phase-1-a.html
And here is a link to a chart (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4677467-post240.html) to help you choose appropriate products

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcements-forum-help/203435-ultimate-one-stop-signature-ticker-thread-read-here-if-you-have-questions.html) for more information and instructions.

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427715-post155.html) Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos
Mini-Goal Photo Album (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/).

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website (http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19)

shrinkingsusie
03-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Hope everyone has a great weekend!

My goal for the weekend is to get an early start on spring cleaning and take at least three big bags of unneeded items to the local thrift shop! Love the feeling of de-cluttering. :)

lisa32989
03-08-2014, 09:05 AM
Susie: that's my goal for the upcoming week! I have stuff piling up that shouldn't be. Spring cleaning on Spring Break (too early! We just had a snow say Monday!)

I always go grocery shopping Friday after work since my diet week starts on Saturday. Today it took forever because I was reading labels so closely. This is going to take some learning!
Have you read the whole phase 3 breakfast thread? So many helpful recipes in it, I didn't need to do much "figuring" except to change out some of the gluten containing items for a gluten-free alternative.
I started making my own yogurt when I started p3. So easy, less $$, and I control what's in it.

schenectady
03-08-2014, 09:20 AM
I will be doing cleaning, too. We have sold our house (cleaning...) then moving into a rental (cleaning). The only thing worse will be the packing and unpacking. Also trying to get our 14 year old dog comfortable a s our house with a lake, ducks, geese, squirrels and stuff is the only home she has known.

Ruth Ann
03-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Was planning on spring cleaning but my back is kicking up a fuss so may take it kind of easy on it today.

schenectady - so exciting about your house! Since you'll be moving again fairly soon I assume you aren't going to unpack everything? And why are we up so early this morning?

drd1961
03-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Susie: that's my goal for the upcoming week! I have stuff piling up that shouldn't be. Spring cleaning on Spring Break (too early! We just had a snow say Monday!)

Have you read the whole phase 3 breakfast thread? So many helpful recipes in it, I didn't need to do much "figuring" except to change out some of the gluten containing items for a gluten-free alternative.
I started making my own yogurt when I started p3. So easy, less $$, and I control what's in it.
I just am not big on recipes, and cooking in general, although in a less busy life I would like to become better. It does not help that hubby is very resistant to anything new. When we were in Chicago, his chicken came with a spinach mix and he "bravely" tried a piece.

drd1961
03-08-2014, 09:27 AM
I just looked for the phase 3 recipe thread, not sure where it is. Also, anything for breakfast must be portable. I swim early in the morning and cannot come home because I live too far from the pool. So breakfast is at my desk 5 days a week.

lisa32989
03-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Was planning on spring cleaning but my back is kicking up a fuss so may take it kind of easy on it today.
My back has been so much better but I can relate! Take care of yourself.

It was the approx 9 mo of PT that finally worked. But I can still tell the pain is still right under the surface. If I overdo, I get little painful movements and points. It sure keeps me doing my PT homework on a regular basis. I'm just glad I'm not shelling out $100/week for copays anymore

schenectady
03-08-2014, 09:30 AM
RuthAnn..I am lying in bed watching the Sun rise over the water in Orlando, Florida! Total coincidence that our house sold on Tuesday and we flew out Wednesday!
About 90% of our stuff will remain in boxes. We are looking upon this as a gypsy adventure, camping out for nine months....fitting in our son's wedding in October. We just accept that every week brings different things.
If luck is really with us we might be in our new Suncadia home for Christmas.

lisa32989
03-08-2014, 09:34 AM
I just looked for the phase 3 recipe thread, not sure where it is. Also, anything for breakfast must be portable. I swim early in the morning and cannot come home because I live too far from the pool. So breakfast is at my desk 5 days a week.
Here it is http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/228564-phase-3-breakfast-ideas.html

Many of the recipes and ideas are things that can be made ahead & heated.
It's a big thread but def take some time to read & copy/paste appealing ideas. Hugely helpful and made p3 not nearly as daunting.

Ruth Ann
03-08-2014, 09:38 AM
My back has been so much better but I can relate! Take care of yourself.

It was the approx 9 mo of PT that finally worked. But I can still tell the pain is still right under the surface. If I overdo, I get little painful movements and points. It sure keeps me doing my PT homework on a regular basis. I'm just glad I'm not shelling out $100/week for copays anymore

I'm doing the PT exercises - especially the stretches, they actually feel good. Lots of ice today. They warned me that I would have good days and bad days but I'm hoping soon it will be more good than bad. My insurance covers an absurdly small amount of the cost so it's great motivation for me to do what I am supposed to!

RuthAnn..I am lying in bed watching the Sun rise over the water in Orlando, Florida! Total coincidence that our house sold on Tuesday and we flew out Wednesday!
About 90% of our stuff will remain in boxes. We are looking upon this as a gypsy adventure, camping out for nine months....fitting in our son's wedding in October. We just accept that every week brings different things.
If luck is really with us we might be in our new Suncadia home for Christmas.

Oh, I want to watch the sunrise from my bed! Bet you can't wait to get into the new home, although "camping out" can be fun too. When we moved here we didn't unpack anything but essentials for the first year until we bought our house - I was so glad to get somewhere "permanent."

lisa32989
03-08-2014, 09:39 AM
"If you want to lose weight, staying on track during the weekend is just as important as being on track during the week. There is not a huge difference calorie-wise between losing weight and maintaining your weight, and it’s very easy to cross that line on the weekends. This weekend – don’t cross that line! Stay on track and keep your momentum going."

drd1961
03-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Here it is http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/228564-phase-3-breakfast-ideas.html

Many of the recipes and ideas are things that can be made ahead & heated.
It's a big thread but def take some time to read & copy/paste appealing ideas. Hugely helpful and made p3 not nearly as daunting.

Thanks, bookmarked that puppy!

drd1961
03-08-2014, 10:07 AM
"If you want to lose weight, staying on track during the weekend is just as important as being on track during the week. There is not a huge difference calorie-wise between losing weight and maintaining your weight, and it’s very easy to cross that line on the weekends. This weekend – don’t cross that line! Stay on track and keep your momentum going."

I agree with this so much. I think one thing that has helped me keep on track all along is that Saturday is day one in my diet week. Mentally I always felt that I needed to be true at the beginning of my week, so weekend food partying was out!

drd1961
03-08-2014, 10:11 AM
I just glanced at that thread and I think I did pretty good on my grocery selection. It helps that my coach is wonderful and actually went a bit over into her lunch yesterday to make sure I was good and told me what type of things at the grocery store next to the clinic to look for!

sunflwr816
03-08-2014, 10:19 AM

I love this. In the past it seemed once the weekend was here, it was eat anything and everything without moderation. I fell into a trap of not only eating the same thing, but the almost the same portion size as my 6'4" fiancé - pizza, burritos, beer, ice cream. Any progress I had made diet wise during the week, I would sabotage on weekends. I need to remember that everyday is a "fresh" day and a new beginning....not just "the diet starts Monday". ;)

AmberLS
03-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Good morning ladies! I'm feeling a little sore today, I've been doing water aerobics and yoga with the ok of my coach and I think the 4lb weight in water aerobics was too much lol. But it's a feel good kind of sore.

I too will be spring cleaning, of course in Wyoming I could get rained on, snowed on, and blown away in the process all in a matter of 20 minutes. But this morning looks calm and beautiful and I need to de-clutter. But this morning I'm off to do some homework. Gotta keep trucking on my school work.

sunflwr816
03-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Hope everyone has a great weekend!

My goal for the weekend is to get an early start on spring cleaning and take at least three big bags of unneeded items to the local thrift shop! Love the feeling of de-cluttering. :)

Seems we're all getting in some spring cleaning this weekend. I have 4 big trash bags filled with old clothes and home items to donate. Currently working on cleaning (and puppy-proofing!) the downstairs and we're painting the sitting room area. Feels so good to get rid of old things!

AmberLS
03-08-2014, 10:23 AM
It does feel good to get rid of things. My house is pretty small, too small for my family but we make it work, its easy to clutter up though!

AmberLS
03-08-2014, 10:26 AM
I love this. In the past it seemed once the weekend was here, it was eat anything and everything without moderation. I fell into a trap of not only eating the same thing, but the almost the same portion size as my 6'4" fiancé - pizza, burritos, beer, ice cream. Any progress I had made diet wise during the week, I would sabotage on weekends. I need to remember that everyday is a "fresh" day and a new beginning....not just "the diet starts Monday". ;)

My boyfriend has this idea that a diet is worthless if it doesn't have a cheat day. He thinks that if he behaves all week then on Saturdays he can eat and drink whatever he wants and with no moderation. I can't seem to explain to him that it doesn't work like that. I mean if you have to have a cheat day have one monthly or less, and then use some moderation, but a weeks worth of dieting is pointless if on the weekend you eat and drink yourself into oblivion.

lisa32989
03-08-2014, 10:31 AM
So, every time a study is reported in the news telling us something is bad for us, I do more reading.

This week you probably saw the news reporting a study that said too much animal protein causes cancer.

I just read a review of the study.
It was a poorly designed study (imagine that!). Studies usually are poorly designed when there is an "agenda" the funding source is trying to prove or disprove.

The most glaring item was that there were 3 study groups (consuming different amounts of animal protein) and they were not equal size.
One had ~1,000 participants
One had ~4500 participants
and the 3rd had ~450 participants.

In a quality study, these groups should be equal more-or-less.

Interesting, one of the researchers is reportedly the founder of a company that produces an all plant-based meal replacement. This is hardly a non-biased researcher. :(

A quote from the article I read:
"The usual errors There are two facts that every study fails to clarify:
1) Association does not mean causation (just because we observe singing in the bath, it does not mean that being in the bath causes singing any more than singing causes being in the bath); and
2) Relative risk is a poor measure when absolute risk can be reported instead. (You can double your chance of winning the lottery by buying 2 tickets. Your relative chance is twice as high as it was before. Your absolute chance was 1 in 14 million and is now 1 in 7 million. You’re still not going to win the lottery!)
This study has absolute risk numbers and should share them. There could be 4 deaths in 1,000 people from cancer in the high protein group and 1 death from cancer in the low protein group. This meets the headline “four times as likely to die of cancer”, but it’s hugely different to having a 1 in 1,000 chance of dying vs. a 1 in 250 chance of dying – neither of which is going to lose you any sleep at night. I’ve emailed Dr Longo to ask for the raw data on death rates to see what the absolute risk is. (And remember – this is still only in the 50-65 age group and will be the other way round in the over 65s)."

Long story to remind you,

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ
and
JUST BECAUSE THEY DID A STUDY DOESN'T MEAN THEY PROVED ANYTHING

Happy Saturday! ;)

lisa32989
03-08-2014, 10:34 AM
My boyfriend has this idea that a diet is worthless if it doesn't have a cheat day. He thinks that if he behaves all week then on Saturdays he can eat and drink whatever he wants and with no moderation. I can't seem to explain to him that it doesn't work like that. I mean if you have to have a cheat day have one monthly or less, and then use some moderation, but a weeks worth of dieting is pointless if on the weekend you eat and drink yourself into oblivion.
He's gonna do what he's gonna do.
You do the thing you know is right (no cheating).

I learned a long time ago I can do a lot of wheel spinning trying to change other people but it is hard enough to change myself!

And guys have a whole different metabolism. If it works for him, whatever. It surely isn't establishing good habits that will be maintainable. Most of our maintainers report that even a "fun" day in maintenance needs to be moderated. But again, you stick to what you know is right and moderate yourownself. :hug:

djs06
03-08-2014, 10:42 AM
So, every time a study is reported in the news telling us something is bad for us, I do more reading.

This week you probably saw the news reporting a study that said too much animal protein causes cancer.

I just read a review of the study.
It was a poorly designed study (imagine that!). Studies usually are poorly designed when there is an "agenda" the funding source is trying to prove or disprove.

The most glaring item was that there were 3 study groups (consuming different amounts of animal protein) and they were not equal size.
One had ~1,000 participants
One had ~4500 participants
and the 3rd had ~450 participants.

In a quality study, these groups should be equal more-or-less.

Interesting, one of the researchers is reportedly the founder of a company that produces an all plant-based meal replacement. This is hardly a non-biased researcher. :(

A quote from the article I read:
"The usual errors There are two facts that every study fails to clarify:
1) Association does not mean causation (just because we observe singing in the bath, it does not mean that being in the bath causes singing any more than singing causes being in the bath); and
2) Relative risk is a poor measure when absolute risk can be reported instead. (You can double your chance of winning the lottery by buying 2 tickets. Your relative chance is twice as high as it was before. Your absolute chance was 1 in 14 million and is now 1 in 7 million. You’re still not going to win the lottery!)
This study has absolute risk numbers and should share them. There could be 4 deaths in 1,000 people from cancer in the high protein group and 1 death from cancer in the low protein group. This meets the headline “four times as likely to die of cancer”, but it’s hugely different to having a 1 in 1,000 chance of dying vs. a 1 in 250 chance of dying – neither of which is going to lose you any sleep at night. I’ve emailed Dr Longo to ask for the raw data on death rates to see what the absolute risk is. (And remember – this is still only in the 50-65 age group and will be the other way round in the over 65s)."

Long story to remind you,

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ
and
JUST BECAUSE THEY DID A STUDY DOESN'T MEAN THEY PROVED ANYTHING

Happy Saturday! ;)

I hadn't heard about that "study" but I'm glad you posted that! I used to work in research and it grinds my gears to no end to see bad research with an obvious agenda floating out there.

We especially see this in weight loss related topics, because people are so desperate to find something that "works." Look for discrepancies in sample sizes (especially small sample sizes, remember that generalizations cannot be made with very small groups, and inconsistencies between groups like you pointed out) and the OBVIOUS agendas. Look for peer reviewed studies in reputable sources.

Also if you're interested in misconstrued statistics: damned lies and statistics is a great book to learn more about the misuse of numbers!

Hiker88
03-08-2014, 11:00 AM
I will be doing cleaning, too. We have sold our house (cleaning...) then moving into a rental (cleaning). The only thing worse will be the packing and unpacking. Also trying to get our 14 year old dog comfortable a s our house with a lake, ducks, geese, squirrels and stuff is the only home she has known.

Moving is a lot of work.... think of all the calories you will be burning!

AmberLS
03-08-2014, 11:00 AM
He's gonna do what he's gonna do.
You do the thing you know is right (no cheating).

I learned a long time ago I can do a lot of wheel spinning trying to change other people but it is hard enough to change myself!

And guys have a whole different metabolism. If it works for him, whatever. It surely isn't establishing good habits that will be maintainable. Most of our maintainers report that even a "fun" day in maintenance needs to be moderated. But again, you stick to what you know is right and moderate yourownself. :hug:

Yeah, I'm not on bored with his plan, and it's not working for him, but there's no arguing with him. I know men and women are different, I just don't think he gets what I'm doing all the time, but he can't deny that I'm losing weight and he isn't. It's just frustrating because on the outside he's supportive of my diet and what I'm doing, but then he initiates these conversations about how he could give me a better diet with cheat days blah blah.. so it seems unsupportive.

lisa32989
03-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I'm not on bored with his plan, and it's not working for him, but there's no arguing with him. I know men and women are different, I just don't think he gets what I'm doing all the time, but he can't deny that I'm losing weight and he isn't. It's just frustrating because on the outside he's supportive of my diet and what I'm doing, but then he initiates these conversations about how he could give me a better diet with cheat days blah blah.. so it seems unsupportive.
Oh, that's a "tell him how you feel" in the most gentle way possible kinda conversation.
Keep it about you and the lack of support you're feeling.
Perhaps even point out that it's working for you so doesn't need fixing. You just want unconditional support. And that he doesn't have to "do it" you just want him to support you and help you make it as easy as possible.

My DH has been willing to keep foods out of the house or out of my sight. He has stashes. Its his stuff. He bought some GS cookies and a "serving" is a sleeve. That used to be my life but I know how those items make me feel now. All that gluten and sugar makes me feel yuck. In some ways I'm glad I've had the plateau b/c I phased off for a bit and got to experience how many foods make me feel. It sure reduced cravings for them!

Ruth Ann
03-08-2014, 11:10 AM

Sorry he's so unsupportive Amber - makes it hard. But I'm with Lisa, you know what you are doing is the best for you so hang in there.

I've been lucky - my dh is super supportive and has been since the beginning. Even on days we aren't eating the same thing he often tells me my food smells better than his! And he's totally on board with eating the same foods when I hit maintenance with some adjustments for him (larger portion sizes, etc.). Plus I'm really proud of him - he needed to gain 10 lbs and yesterday hit his goal weight! We're kind of like Jack Sprat and his wife in reverse.

Hawaii69
03-08-2014, 11:16 AM

I hear ya! My hubby was so not sure of this plan when I wanted to go on it as he's very much a calories in and calories out kind of thinker. And with the cost, it didn't help. But, he quickly changed his mind when I started to drop the weight and fast! And inches. I get him to measure me every week and so he sees the numbers! In fact, after I started losing weight, he decided that he needed to get healthy and lose some weight. The calorie counting and exercize is what he chose and lost over 20lbs. It was also motivating that we were going on a trip to Mexico and he said he didn't want to be the 'chubby' husband which made me laugh because I was the chubby wife before! hee hee He truly is impressed now with this plan and it is this plan that has helped us both get back to a healthier lifestyle!

AmberLS
03-08-2014, 11:17 AM
He's definitely not keeping his foods stashed. He can't even keep his drinking to himself and he knows the hardest part for me is not having a glass of wine! Honestly there aren't a lot of foods I miss, an occasional pasta but not really, but I really can't wait to drink a glass of moscato again lol

lisa32989
03-08-2014, 11:20 AM
I want to be thin more than any food or drink. I just keep telling myself that to help reframe/readjust for anything I think I'm missing that much. Those little thoughts of missing out will end up working against us. The Beck Diet book is really helping me change my thought process.

Pukka8
03-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Sigh, it is only 8:45, I have already had my breakfast, tea and some water and I am sooooo hungry

Pukka8
03-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Hi there

I am doing a reboot and an looking for some portable lunch ideas.

I am not a big fan of the IP soups. I have been making a roasted cauliflower soup (which is relish) but I don't want to get sick of it.

I am already a little tired of salads and raw veggies.

If anyone has any good ideas for easy portable lunches, I would be very appreciative! I just saw a recipe for a 'creamy' curried zucchini soup so might try that...

Thanks!

lisa32989
03-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Pukka8: I make zucchini/packet muffins from pudding packets or potato puree

Recipe is in Recipes #4. Link is in first post of this thread.
Super portable. Can be eaten warmed, cold, or room temp.

I'm not a fan of a lot of raw veggies either. I quickly develop boredom with them. Lots of ideas in the recipe threads.
Sigh, it is only 8:45, I have already had my breakfast, tea and some water and I am sooooo hungry
Go to Amazon & buy the Audio version of Beck Diet Solution.
It is really helping me (even more than before) recognize the difference between true hunger and "wanting to eat". We're so condidioned to eating whenever we want it is hard for us to recognize true hunger. And our brains & hormones work on us to try to get us to go back to what we're doing before. It is VERY important to not get bored. Stay occupied. Start a project to distract yourself.

Jenny38
03-08-2014, 12:46 PM

I'm hear ya. My husband calls IP food "powders and paste" but he does cook my dinner totally on plan which is awesome. He also is overweight and has yet to find what works for him. He will go thru phases of skipping meals etc. I have to say that since I weigh less then him he is trying harder :D. He is also very proud of my success but he is a real foodie so IP is not for him.

After reading the posts this morning I feel inspired to spring clean this week.

Have a great weekend.

ssubert
03-08-2014, 12:49 PM
I've ordered the Beck book, it will arrive on Tuesday. I want to see what you gals have been talking about.

I used to buy cook books and how-to-diet books.

Just finished Kessler's book, The End of Overeating.
Now that I understand how "food" is processed to make us crave it, I will not eat processed food from box again. Don't buy any foods with commercials.

I will also avoid chain restaurants. Those chains par cook menu items at their factory (usually deep fried) then warm them at restaurant by deep frying. And when you see "crispy green beans" at Appleby's, those are deep fried.

Interesting and scary book.

Ok, climbing off my soap box. :-)

deelee10
03-08-2014, 01:03 PM
Hi!

I've been trying to reboot. I did well until I got sick, sinus infection. This long, cold winter Chicago is having, combined with illness makes salad very unappealing. But once I got better I was doing okay. Then I got a little intestinal thing. I think the fiber, etc. I take for regularity got all clogged up. After that I couldn't eat anything (good!) but eventually needed something in my stomach and the only thing that appealed to me were carbs. This was bad because I'm such a carb/sugar addict. It was like a heroine addict just having a little bit to feel better. So I went on a major binge. Gained 4 of the 6 lbs. that I lost in my reboot. !*%! So I was back on yesterday. Sorry I'm giving so much detail.

I wanted to thank Lisa for posting the new phase 1 guide. You made it so succinct and perfect. I had a feeling the apple cinnamon puffs were restricted. So yesterday I was't really on plan cuz I had 3 bags of those! But still, I didn't have any of the crack cocaine, I mean sugar/fat junk, that I had binged on.

Pukka- one of the things I have found is that if it is too early for my next meal or snack is look at the clock and tell myself to wait 15 minutes. And if I'm doing something boring (like cleaning or laundry) I take break and do something that I enjoy that is not eating. For me it is usually sudokus (a complete time waster) while watching a guilty pleasure T.V. show. Then sometimes during the TV I can start to fold the laundry or hang things up. But there are certain times, especialy in the beginning when I just have to put the diet first. If that means something doesn't get clean, oh well. Sorry this is so much information!

deelee10
03-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Hi again.

I found the Beck book very helpful too. You can use it with any diet. I briefly went to The Beck group here on 3fc, Then on 3fc Iheard about IP. And then an old friend of mine that was visiting had lost a lot of weight - IP. So then I went on it. I never thought I would be able to lose as much weight as I did before IP.

My husband would never eat the "powders" either but he's very supportive of me losing weight. And he does the regular part, dinner with protein, vegetables and salads. He lost 10-15 lbs. himself so he's all for it.

Besides being a carb/fat addict I'm also an emotional eater. I've got a million excuses but sometimes you just need what you need. the thing I learned from one of Bethenny Frankel's book is to just stop! If you've had 3 bites or 3 lbs, don't think, "well, I've blown it. I might as well: 1. keep eating carbs, 2.finish the bag or box, etc." That's what I did unfortunately. Finished the bags!
I look forward to getting to know you. Good luck everyone!

LuvA1exa
03-08-2014, 01:26 PM
NSV!! I checked my blood pressure this morning and it is way down. Going to the doctor's on Tuesday - hopefully I can start weaning myself off of them. I tried it a few months ago (with the Dr's blessing) but went into a stressful situation at work and it shot back up again. Hopefully this program will do the trick!!

Love that this gives me another reason to stay on program.

deelee10
03-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Great Luv! That's a major victory!

Slipfree
03-08-2014, 02:09 PM
So WI at the clinic today, good loss for the 3 weeks-9.6.but the thing that made me happiest was that my bp was 118/74 with no medication :D

I have had a terrible migraine and stomach issues all of this week. Seriously ready for the headache to go away. Have not felt this bad since my first two weeks of IP when I was in carb withdrawal from Coca Cola. Have had to force myself to eat OP, because I would rather not eat at all. Have been getting in my salt and water. Ugh!

AmberLS
03-08-2014, 08:06 PM
I'm hoping to be off plan before sick season rolls in around here again. I don't know how anyone stays op when they are sick. I usually don't get too many stomach bugs.

HulaChic
03-08-2014, 08:51 PM
It's funny...without me snacking here and there all day, I ended up getting a bunch of stuff done around the house. Plus, I do need to keep busy so I don't think about snacking! :-) I like this IP...lose weight and get organized! What a nice combination!

ReenHag
03-08-2014, 09:32 PM
He's definitely not keeping his foods stashed. He can't even keep his drinking to himself and he knows the hardest part for me is not having a glass of wine! Honestly there aren't a lot of foods I miss, an occasional pasta but not really, but I really can't wait to drink a glass of moscato again lol

I have to share- I used to LOVE moscato and even sweeter whites, like ice wine. Anything with TONS of residual sugar. I enjoyed a light red here or there, but moscato was my wine of choice and reisling was a close second. After phasing off for the holidays, I found that most whites were SUPER unappealing. They were way too sweet! Ugh. Now I stick with red blends when I have wine.

NSV!! I checked my blood pressure this morning and it is way down. Going to the doctor's on Tuesday - hopefully I can start weaning myself off of them. I tried it a few months ago (with the Dr's blessing) but went into a stressful situation at work and it shot back up again. Hopefully this program will do the trick!!

Love that this gives me another reason to stay on program.

Congrats! That is a super NSV!

So WI at the clinic today, good loss for the 3 weeks-9.6.but the thing that made me happiest was that my bp was 118/74 with no medication :D

I have had a terrible migraine and stomach issues all of this week. Seriously ready for the headache to go away. Have not felt this bad since my first two weeks of IP when I was in carb withdrawal from Coca Cola. Have had to force myself to eat OP, because I would rather not eat at all. Have been getting in my salt and water. Ugh!

Excellent BP! I sure hope your migraines and tummy issues improve quickly. Feel better!

Hawaii69
03-08-2014, 09:33 PM
It's funny...without me snacking here and there all day, I ended up getting a bunch of stuff done around the house. Plus, I do need to keep busy so I don't think about snacking! :-) I like this IP...lose weight and get organized! What a nice combination!

Isn't that the truth! I know that I used to snack out of boredom,not because I was hungry. IP has really made me analyze how I am really feeling, hungry, bored, tired, thirsty. Its amazing how a person can eat mindlessly. I now know that most of the time I'm not hungry and get busy doing something and forget about wanting to eat! And if I am hungry, then I make a good choice based on how it'll make me feel and if its healthy and OP.

shrinkingsusie
03-09-2014, 12:08 AM
My trunk and the back seat of my car are loaded for donating tomorrow to my local thrift shop. :) what a productive day! Planning on grocery shopping tomorrow then doing nothing else all day!

AmberLS
03-09-2014, 12:22 AM
[QUOTE=ReenHag;4959459]I have to share- I used to LOVE moscato and even sweeter whites, like ice wine. Anything with TONS of residual sugar. I enjoyed a light red here or there, but moscato was my wine of choice and reisling was a close second. After phasing off for the holidays, I found that most whites were SUPER unappealing. They were way too sweet! Ugh. Now I stick with red blends when I have wine.

I hope I start finding things like that too sweet! Riesling is also my second favorite! LOL.

drd1961
03-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Another NSV yesterday. I was running around helping the costumer on the show I am producing yesterday and saw some dress pants I liked. Since I am building my wardrobe up, I grabbed the 5/6 and tried them on....too big! Had to buy 3/4. Went home and was folding clothes and my husband said, your pants are way too big(they were my big size 6). So even though I have move through phases, I must still be losing. My coach said phase 3 can actually rev your metabolism.

getnlean
03-09-2014, 10:05 AM
I am on my second round of I P. I lost about 30lbs the first time but I phased off because I never had the energy others have on this program. I went back to bad habits, gained the weight back plus 20 lbs. I feel terrible on this round too. I am wondering if any of you have had this situation. Also, I am wondering if South Beach or Atkins would back any better because of the extra fat and calories they allow. Thanks for any insight.

bluegingham
03-09-2014, 10:43 AM
Another NSV yesterday. I was running around helping the costumer on the show I am producing yesterday and saw some dress pants I liked. Since I am building my wardrobe up, I grabbed the 5/6 and tried them on....too big! Had to buy 3/4. Went home and was folding clothes and my husband said, your pants are way too big(they were my big size 6). So even though I have move through phases, I must still be losing. My coach said phase 3 can actually rev your metabolism.

What an exciting celebration!

gnalosit
03-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Post snowboarding trip WI and I still managed to lose 6 lbs over two weeks, not bad with 5 days off plan! I guess 6+ hours of activity everyday helped. My coach said she couldn't even be that upset because of my loss. :-)

So my coach measures me every week but never tells me how many inches I've lost? Next week I am going to ask to take a photo of the sheet with my phone, I like having the data. I would be nice to know my inches when my losses aren't so good.

AmberLS
03-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Tomorrow is week 3 weigh in day. It's actually kind of exciting. But I'm thinking about asking for a "planned cheat day" next weekend. My coach said we could work something like that out and with the anniversary of my dad's death I'd like to have a few drinks with my family and friends. I don't want cheat foods though lol.

ReenHag
03-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Post snowboarding trip WI and I still managed to lose 6 lbs over two weeks, not bad with 5 days off plan! I guess 6+ hours of activity everyday helped. My coach said she couldn't even be that upset because of my loss. :-)

So my coach measures me every week but never tells me how many inches I've lost? Next week I am going to ask to take a photo of the sheet with my phone, I like having the data. I would be nice to know my inches when my losses aren't so good.

Way to go! Hubby's coach would make a copy of the sheet for him when he asked. Then I entered the data into a spreadsheet to see the changes week by week.

Happy Sunday, all! Hope things are well. Down 1.6 today! That was a good feeling this morning. I know I will have to go shopping soon for some new clothes.

I am going to ak you all to send healing thoughts to MD. Hubby and I decided to go on a spur of the moment day trip yesterday to enjoy the sun and 60's. En route, we witnessed a horrific accident on the highway. It has to be one of the most traumatic things I have ever experienced and hope never to again. Two lives were lost and four others were injured, but those four should be fine. Hubby and I spent a while on the side of the road helping victims stay calm and providing statements to the police. Just send your healing thoughts to the families involved, and to us, too, if you don't mind. I am so blessed and grateful to be safe, as we were one car ahead of the impact; however, I still feel deeply shaken by the experience. I know not as shaken as the families involved, but it hass dfinitely affected me. Please, ALWAYS buckle up and NEVER. Use your phone while driving.

~Renee

lisa32989
03-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Oh Reen!
My thoughts to you and the families and friends of those injured and killed.

How gracious of you and DH to stop to help. Not everyone in this world is that kind. I know the shock of witnessing a traumatic event. Hug your dear ones closer as you recover from what you witnessed.

You are absolutely right about the rice of distracted driving. I see people in traffic every day talking and texting. My thought is always for the safety of myself safety of those I love with the distractedness of others around me.

lisa32989
03-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Tomorrow is week 3 weigh in day. It's actually kind of exciting. But I'm thinking about asking for a "planned cheat day" next weekend. My coach said we could work something like that out and with the anniversary of my dad's death I'd like to have a few drinks with my family and friends. I don't want cheat foods though lol.
There is never a good time to start a diet. All year there will be events/holidays that tempt us to stray. We can choose to put ourselves first, making our health and wellness a priority or we can succumb to every event along the way.

Depending on who you ask, you'll get varied answers. If you ask in the 100% thread, you'll get strategies for staying the course. If you ask other places, you'll get support for cheating. Only you can decide what is most important.

I learned through a year of holidays and events to focus more on interactions with people and building relationships. None of that is food or drink specific. I learned every event is enjoyable. It was me that was making the big deal out of what was being served (in my own head). When I started placing my focus on something else besides food & drink, what was served was no longer important.

And just in case you think I don't "get it", FYI I lost my dad a few years back after a tragic accident. His wake & memorial services were both at his favorite bar. The focus on bar food and drinks was huge in his life. I celebrate him today by becoming more healthy.

gidgetonsweets
03-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Good Morning to all !!! I am viewing the many successes of others , congratulations to all !!! I am wondering what is going wrong with my success. WI 7 will be on 3/12/14. Lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks but WI.4 - WI.7 has been a yo-yo. Today I get on the scale to find that I have a 20 lb loss after 6 weeks and 900 + dollars. Better than no loss, but just looking at what some of you Ipeeps, I feel like a failure. I am drowning in water I drink what's required by the hardest. I eat the same meals daily, trying to keep it simple. my favorite Proteins (fish or shrimp) Veggies (zucchini, spinach or broccoli) and of course my afternoon snack strawberry wafers. This week i had wafers every other day instead. That makes life miserable. I love those things. lol... My coach only says, Your doing great ! your losing. You won't be shrinking violet.... I see many of you doing so much better. I have lost 10 inches in 4 weeks . and no inches since.... OMG. Not looking for a miracle, just saying ...... 20lbs x $900 = Wow !!! Any Idea's ???

RosiePosie101
03-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Happy weekend everyone. What a week I've had. Massive working hours but have stayed 100% the entire time. So glad I got into the groove of IP before these work challenges came up so I don't make excuses. Would have loved a glass of wine on Friday night but instead had a club soda and some Mio instead. I haven't drunk anything other than water, decaf teas or coffee since starting IP nine weeks ago and although the club soda was delicious and I loved the sensation of drinking bubbles, one glass was enough. Oh, how I've changed - I used to drink loads of diet coke so this was a big moment.

On another topic, my NSV of the weekend was finding that I can pull my jeans off without unbuttoning them first. I did think they were getting a little baggy but hadn't realized how much!!

ReenHag
03-09-2014, 11:37 AM
Good Morning to all !!! I am viewing the many successes of others , congratulations to all !!! I am wondering what is going wrong with my success. WI 7 will be on 3/12/14. Lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks but WI.4 - WI.7 has been a yo-yo. Today I get on the scale to find that I have a 20 lb loss after 6 weeks and 900 + dollars. Better than no loss, but just looking at what some of you Ipeeps, I feel like a failure. I am drowning in water I drink what's required by the hardest. I eat the same meals daily, trying to keep it simple. my favorite Proteins (fish or shrimp) Veggies (zucchini, spinach or broccoli) and of course my afternoon snack strawberry wafers. This week i had wafers every other day instead. That makes life miserable. I love those things. lol... My coach only says, Your doing great ! your losing. You won't be shrinking violet.... I see many of you doing so much better. I have lost 10 inches in 4 weeks . and no inches since.... OMG. Not looking for a miracle, just saying ...... 20lbs x $900 = Wow !!! Any Idea's ???

Twenty pounds in six weeks is FABULOUS! That equates to more than three pounds per week on average. May I ask what your expectations are?

Also, here are some considerations: first, vary your menu in accordance with the protocol sheets. Otherwise, you may get bored quickly. Make sure you are getting in your oil and salt daily. You seem to be focused on the cost vs losses. If cost is an issue, consider supplementing with some alternate products, like Proti Diet, EAS shakes, etc., that many of us use regularly. However, it is hard to put a price on improving one's health! You are investing in yourself, and you are definitely worth it!!!

Remember, you are an individual. Do not compare yourself to others, on this board or elsewhere. That usually leads to negativity. Follow the plan 100% and you WILL see losses. Take them as they come and be grateful. The weight will come off on its schedule, not yours. You didn't put it all on over a few weeks or months, so don't expect it to fall off in the same time frame. IP is a womderul program to teach us how to eat and maintain a healthy weight long term. Learn what you can, work the program, then live it.

drd1961
03-09-2014, 11:37 AM

I am not sure if the 900 is for the whole program, or what you sunk in as buy-in and food. As far as food, you would be buying food with dollars anyway, and it probably would be junk. I also do not think you can equate 20 pounds with the money because to me, there is much more going on. There is an education that will help in the long run. I just spend 25,000 on getting a bachelor degree. I have to tell you tbe IP education has been worth more than some of those classes. I am now at the less costly part of the program. I do not have to buy prepackaged foods, but I do feel that I am worth the cost of organic and fresh food, not cheap processed food. Just some thoughts to think of.

AmberLS
03-09-2014, 11:45 AM
There is never a good time to start a diet. All year there will be events/holidays that tempt us to stray. We can choose to put ourselves first, making our health and wellness a priority or we can succumb to every event along the way.

Depending on who you ask, you'll get varied answers. If you ask in the 100% thread, you'll get strategies for staying the course. If you ask other places, you'll get support for cheating. Only you can decide what is most important.

I learned through a year of holidays and events to focus more on interactions with people and building relationships. None of that is food or drink specific. I learned every event is enjoyable. It was me that was making the big deal out of what was being served (in my own head). When I started placing my focus on something else besides food & drink, what was served was no longer important.

And just in case you think I don't "get it", FYI I lost my dad a few years back after a tragic accident. His wake & memorial services were both at his favorite bar. The focus on bar food and drinks was huge in his life. I celebrate him today by becoming more healthy.

I agree there are always excuses and change is hard. I stick to my plan very well and am not looking to stop. I just know my own weakness and like many people avoid certain things. I personally avoid going out to the bar but have no problems taking my kids to restaurants, or for treats, or ordering girls scout cookies for them, but I know if I go to the bar I'm going to have a drink with my friends, so I don't go. It's not a big deal 99% of the time. I'm finding lot's of things to do and keeping myself busy. But I will be going to the bar next weekend, its not something I can just avoid this time, nor would I want to. I am struggling enough emotionally this week with the memories of seeing him the last time etc., but I am staying on plan. However with all this in mind I need this time with my family and friends so I will go. My coach already told me that some drinks are "better" than others so I figure I will do this the best way possible. I don't plan to go drink myself to oblivion, or eat anything off plan, but if I can go and have a couple drinks without totally sabotaging my diet I will. If I can go and have a plan that's better than going in without one. Who knows maybe I won't drink it's hard to say since I'm not in that position yet, but in case I do better to be prepared then to just blow it.

65X65
03-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Way to go! Hubby's coach would make a copy of the sheet for him when he asked. Then I entered the data into a spreadsheet to see the changes week by week.

Happy Sunday, all! Hope things are well. Down 1.6 today! That was a good feeling this morning. I know I will have to go shopping soon for some new clothes.

I am going to ak you all to send healing thoughts to MD. Hubby and I decided to go on a spur of the moment day trip yesterday to enjoy the sun and 60's. En route, we witnessed a horrific accident on the highway. It has to be one of the most traumatic things I have ever experienced and hope never to again. Two lives were lost and four others were injured, but those four should be fine. Hubby and I spent a while on the side of the road helping victims stay calm and providing statements to the police. Just send your healing thoughts to the families involved, and to us, too, if you don't mind. I am so blessed and grateful to be safe, as we were one car ahead of the impact; however, I still feel deeply shaken by the experience. I know not as shaken as the families involved, but it hass dfinitely affected me. Please, ALWAYS buckle up and NEVER. Use your phone while driving.

~Renee

Sending you a hug or many more over the next days...and a thank-you for being a Good Samaritan. I know, I know......all decent people would do what you did...but you also opened your emotions forever by doing this and become victimized as well.
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Peace...you did good. Be good to the two of you today. Thanks for sharing.
A big Thank-You.

Slipfree
03-09-2014, 12:19 PM
Gidgetonsweets- Reen and drd gave great advice. 20 pounds is a lot of weight to lose. I also had a 4 week period where I lost 1 pound per week, patience is the key.

Amber- my caution for alcohol is that it can have a much stronger effect on some people following the IP protocol. Some have had blackouts, DUI, and really bad hangovers after only a couple of drinks. If you choose to indulge be careful.

Rosieposie, sorry work has been so stressful but glad you were able to stay 100%.

Slipfree
03-09-2014, 12:22 PM
Renee,

I will send up a prayer for all those involved in the accident. I am so sorry that you and DH had such a traumatic experience, but know that your kind comfort was a blessing to the people affected. :hug:

Ruth Ann
03-09-2014, 12:27 PM
I am going to ak you all to send healing thoughts to MD. Hubby and I decided to go on a spur of the moment day trip yesterday to enjoy the sun and 60's. En route, we witnessed a horrific accident on the highway. It has to be one of the most traumatic things I have ever experienced and hope never to again. Two lives were lost and four others were injured, but those four should be fine. Hubby and I spent a while on the side of the road helping victims stay calm and providing statements to the police. Just send your healing thoughts to the families involved, and to us, too, if you don't mind. I am so blessed and grateful to be safe, as we were one car ahead of the impact; however, I still feel deeply shaken by the experience. I know not as shaken as the families involved, but it hass dfinitely affected me. Please, ALWAYS buckle up and NEVER. Use your phone while driving. ~Renee

Bless you for helping! :hug: That is so hard to witness, be nice to yourself for a few days, you deserve it.

I'm going to second what everyone else has said - you're doing great! As to the smaller loss in week 4, that's not unusual. A lot of people have a small loss during weeks 3 to 5 just because the body is catching up.

Happy weekend everyone. What a week I've had. Massive working hours but have stayed 100% the entire time. So glad I got into the groove of IP before these work challenges came up so I don't make excuses. Would have loved a glass of wine on Friday night but instead had a club soda and some Mio instead. I haven't drunk anything other than water, decaf teas or coffee since starting IP nine weeks ago and although the club soda was delicious and I loved the sensation of drinking bubbles, one glass was enough. Oh, how I've changed - I used to drink loads of diet coke so this was a big moment.

On another topic, my NSV of the weekend was finding that I can pull my jeans off without unbuttoning them first. I did think they were getting a little baggy but hadn't realized how much!!

Congrats on both your NSVs! That is awesome. I have a rule - when I can pull pants on and off without undoing them it's time to get new pants! :D

gidgetonsweets
03-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Hi ReenHag,
You are 100 % correct , I am comparing myself to others !!! I noticed the 5+ WI's documented by others and panicked. lol . You have had Great Success and Congrats on your losses. Can you please suggest some of your favorites in the Proti Diet selection ?

Ruth Ann
03-09-2014, 12:31 PM
I agree there are always excuses and change is hard. I stick to my plan very well and am not looking to stop. I just know my own weakness and like many people avoid certain things. I personally avoid going out to the bar but have no problems taking my kids to restaurants, or for treats, or ordering girls scout cookies for them, but I know if I go to the bar I'm going to have a drink with my friends, so I don't go. It's not a big deal 99% of the time. I'm finding lot's of things to do and keeping myself busy. But I will be going to the bar next weekend, its not something I can just avoid this time, nor would I want to. I am struggling enough emotionally this week with the memories of seeing him the last time etc., but I am staying on plan. However with all this in mind I need this time with my family and friends so I will go. My coach already told me that some drinks are "better" than others so I figure I will do this the best way possible. I don't plan to go drink myself to oblivion, or eat anything off plan, but if I can go and have a couple drinks without totally sabotaging my diet I will. If I can go and have a plan that's better than going in without one. Who knows maybe I won't drink it's hard to say since I'm not in that position yet, but in case I do better to be prepared then to just blow it.

AmberLS - not to sound unfeeling or rude, it really sounds like you've already made up your mind what you are going to do and are looking for validation that it's okay. You're an adult and will do whatever you want, but since you're spending a lot of time convincing yourself it's ok maybe you should spend that time and energy setting your mind to staying OP?

I'm sorry for the loss of your father, that is so hard. I lost mine 2 years ago and the memories are still very fresh to me and I miss him every day.

AmberLS
03-09-2014, 12:54 PM
AmberLS - not to sound unfeeling or rude, it really sounds like you've already made up your mind what you are going to do and are looking for validation that it's okay. You're an adult and will do whatever you want, but since you're spending a lot of time convincing yourself it's ok maybe you should spend that time and energy setting your mind to staying OP?

I'm sorry for the loss of your father, that is so hard. I lost mine 2 years ago and the memories are still very fresh to me and I miss him every day.

No you don't sound rude. Like you said I am an adult and I haven't so much made up my mind as intended to walk into something with a plan. I am not convincing myself it's ok, I know it's not ok, but no one is perfect. But we can't all spend our whole diet avoiding situations that are challenging. That is no way to live so my only intention is to go be with my family and there is no fault in knowing my own weakness and being prepared. Who knows I may surprise myself. It's still a week away and I've managed to do lots of things I thought would be a challenge. :D

schenectady
03-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Moving is a lot of work.... think of all the calories you will be burning!

Lots, I hope! I think I will be so busy that food will not enter my mind!

We are finishing our days in Disneyworld and I am very proud of myself - stayed 100% OP even under challenging business/social situations. Unlimited buffets and I found the fish, salad, and roasted veggies. In the park, read and read menus before we went in, avoiding any with traps. My husband even got in on it, helping me .

The answer is (thank you 65x65) to have specific ideas of easy and safe things to ask for sometimes regardless of the printed menu. Ask! I have also learned just to let my plate go with food uneaten. This is hard as it runs counter to the teaching of my parents, but I am getting good at it.

Guess this should have gone on the 100% thread, but what I learned is that I can do this, no excuses. Why not give in? Because I can look in the mirror and be proud, skinny, and know I have not jeopardized my health or progress. That feels so much better than that salted caramel cheesecake would have!

Ruth Ann
03-09-2014, 01:07 PM
No you don't sound rude. Like you said I am an adult and I haven't so much made up my mind as intended to walk into something with a plan. I am not convincing myself it's ok, I know it's not ok, but no one is perfect. But we can't all spend our whole diet avoiding situations that are challenging. That is no way to live so my only intention is to go be with my family and there is no fault in knowing my own weakness and being prepared. Who knows I may surprise myself. It's still a week away and I've managed to do lots of things I thought would be a challenge. :D

Glad to hear you haven't made up your mind! (Okay, that sounds weird.) I have been to functions where drinking alcohol is expected since I've started. Sparkling water with a twist of lime looks just like a cocktail. Or add a squirt of Mio if you want more flavor. I've had water in a wine glass with Mio, no one knows the difference. My dh doesn't drink at all and we've used this strategy to keep the "don't you want a drink" boors at bay for years.

As Lisa said, it's about being with family and friends and sharing your memories and celebrating your dad's life. The rest is secondary.

Ruth Ann
03-09-2014, 01:09 PM

We are finishing our days in Disneyworld and I am very proud of myself - stayed 100% OP even under challenging business/social situations. Unlimited buffets and I found the fish, salad, and roasted veggies. In the park, read and read menus before we went in, avoiding any with traps. My husband even got in on it, helping me .

The answer is (thank you 65x65) to have specific ideas of easy and safe things to ask for sometimes regardless of the printed menu. Ask! I have also learned just to let my plate go with food uneaten. This is hard as it runs counter to the teaching of my parents, but I am getting good at it.

Guess this should have gone on the 100% thread, but what I learned is that I can do this, no excuses. Why not give in? Because I can look in the mirror and be proud, skinny, and know I have not jeopardized my health or progress. That geeks Solomon much better than that salted caramel cheesecake would have!

Glad to hear you're learning to "geeks Solomon" schenectady! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

And congrats to you for staying OP - you are fabulous! :bravo:

gidgetonsweets
03-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Hi slipfree
Thanks for the warning. Are you a mind reader ? Wine did run over the mind. I am so grateful for this site. I had a horrible morning anyways. Took my 120 lb. puppy (Big Poppi) out to play in the yard. Walked in the house and couldn't find my 6 lb. 8 yr. old Shitsz Tzu (correct spelling for him). Panic Attack time. I live in the country on a few acres. Did a hawk get him ? Did he go to the highway ? Next thing , I am on a 4 wheeler in my ugly PJ's searching for my wonderful baby that I love so much, Can't seem to find him !!!! . Return to the house , screaming his name. Maybe I closed him in a room ? No still don't find him. grab tennis shoes , they are wet. Wow !!!!!! Now I know where my baby is, """ Under the Bed """ ..... Anytime he does wrong , under the bed he goes. He wet the slippers because I left him in the house. He hid under the bed because he did a wrong. Wooooooooooooooo ...... Yes Wine was on the mind. Thanks for feeling my frustration Slipfree. lol
Can you Imagine. lol

schenectady
03-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Glad to hear you're learning to "geeks Solomon" schenectady! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

And congrats to you for staying OP - you are fabulous! :bravo:

I am playing with my new tablet and it got me! Let's try feels so much better than cheesecake!

gidgetonsweets
03-09-2014, 01:20 PM
So Sorry to hear of such a horrible experience Rheen My prayers go out to you. That is such a tragedy !!! I can't imagine the after thought of the scene. Prayers go out to you my friend.

Ruth Ann
03-09-2014, 01:22 PM
I am playing with my new tablet and it got me! Let's try feels so much better than cheesecake!

LOL - I knew what you meant but that was a great typo!

lisa32989
03-09-2014, 01:23 PM
LOL - I knew what you meant but that was a great typo!
It is the !@#$ auto correct! Sometimes it changes real words to nonsense!

ReenHag
03-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Sending you a hug or many more over the next days...and a thank-you for being a Good Samaritan. I know, I know......all decent people would do what you did...but you also opened your emotions forever by doing this and become victimized as well.
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Peace...you did good. Be good to the two of you today. Thanks for sharing.
A big Thank-You.

Renee,

I will send up a prayer for all those involved in the accident. I am so sorry that you and DH had such a traumatic experience, but know that your kind comfort was a blessing to the people affected. :hug:

Bless you for helping! :hug: That is so hard to witness, be nice to yourself for a few days, you deserve it.

Thanks, everyone. I am actually looking forward to going back to work tomorrow to be around friends and the kids. I need some smiles.

Hi ReenHag,
You are 100 % correct , I am comparing myself to others !!! I noticed the 5+ WI's documented by others and panicked. lol . You have had Great Success and Congrats on your losses. Can you please suggest some of your favorites in the Proti Diet selection ?

Thanks! I enjoy the Proti Diet cereals (honey nut and chocolatey) and Banana Bread bars. Proti-Thin has wafers that i use for an occasional treat. For lunch, I like the Proti-Diet chicken noodle soup sometimes, and the Spaghettini. Their shakes and puddings are good, too, but I have held off on some of them during the colder months.

Gidgetonsweets- Reen and drd gave great advice. 20 pounds is a lot of weight to lose. I also had a 4 week period where I lost 1 pound per week, patience is the key.

Amber- my caution for alcohol is that it can have a much stronger effect on some people following the IP protocol. Some have had blackouts, DUI, and really bad hangovers after only a couple of drinks. If you choose to indulge be careful.

Yes, I second that. Lower body weight, different body composition, plus being "off" alcohol for a time all contribute to a different response to drinking. My suggestion? Stay away from it. It is WAY easier than you think, and you will lose more quickly. Most alcoholic beverages are just empty calories with absolutely NO health benefits. When you are phasing off and are ready to indulge, stick with red wine and start with one glass, maybe even half a glass. See how you feel, and make sure you are safe transportation-wise (even have it at home just to be safe). Trust me, I thought this would be the hardest part of IP, but it was a cinch! And this is coming from a stressed put middle school teacher who used to have a bottle on hand at all times and go out to happy hour regularly with co-workers. I still hang out with them; I just stick with unsweet tea and Splenda. It truly is all about the company, not the booze.

lisa32989
03-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Trust me, I thought this would be the hardest part of IP, but it was a cinch! And this is coming from a stressed put middle school teacher who used to have a bottle on hand at all times and go out to happy hour regularly with co-workers. I still hang out with them; I just stick with unsweet tea and Splenda. It truly is all about the company, not the booze.
I thought it would be the hardest part, as well. All of my social gatherings revolve around alcohol (happy hours, wine with dinner, craft beers. We like fine food/ beverages!). And I certainly have not avoided any social situations. I just go in with a plan and stick to the plan. Nobody is bothered by the fact that I'm not indulging anymore. I'm still drinking, just not alcohol. And everyone is so happy for me and the positive changes I've made.

Even when I've been off P1, I really didn't indulge often. Our tastes really change. And I'd rather be thinner than drink. It is amazing how attitudes change if we stick to the plan.

blondie739
03-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Week 10 weigh in today. I can't believe this diet that I was going to "try for a week or two" has turned into a lifestyle change. Down 2.9 pounds this week for a total of almost 35! I told my kids I would take them all to Great Wolf Lodge if I could lose 40 pounds so it looks like I might actually have to pay up lol. In other news, my husband is down 36 pounds too so we have a competition going!

drd1961
03-09-2014, 01:33 PM

You cannot avoid challenging moments and occasions, but you can certainly plan an on program way to deal with it. Myself, I have always told myself that the off program items will always be there and when I am on maintenance can be worked into the program. I am there now, and my biggest challenge has been my mother-in-law's meals. Well for Easter I can now have the day at her house as my cheat day after spending the last 4 months gently telling her I cannot have certain things.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

catlady1981
03-09-2014, 03:27 PM
I thought it would be the hardest part, as well. All of my social gatherings revolve around alcohol (happy hours, wine with dinner, craft beers. We like fine food/ beverages!). And I certainly have not avoided any social situations. I just go in with a plan and stick to the plan. Nobody is bothered by the fact that I'm not indulging anymore. I'm still drinking, just not alcohol. And everyone is so happy for me and the positive changes I've made.

Even when I've been off P1, I really didn't indulge often. Our tastes really change. And I'd rather be thinner than drink. It is amazing how attitudes change if we stick to the plan.

Lisa: I thought it would be hard to give up my craft beers too! My son came over on Friday night and I gave my entire stash to him. La Fin DuMonde, OlaDubh, stouts, IPA's and many others. He was one happy camper. I figured it would just be easier to remove the temptation. I haven't had a beer in over 3 months since I was going low carb on Paleo. So this just seemed like the next logical step. I think that pre-no alcohol drinking has been helpful. I had a stressful day at work on Friday and my norm was to come home and have a few drinks. Not this time. I came home and did 20 minutes on my stationary bike!:)

ReenHag
03-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Lisa: I thought it would be hard to give up my craft beers too! My son came over on Friday night and I gave my entire stash to him. La Fin DuMonde, OlaDubh, stouts, IPA's and many others. He was one happy camper. I figured it would just be easier to remove the temptation. I haven't had a beer in over 3 months since I was going low carb on Paleo. So this just seemed like the next logical step. I think that pre-no alcohol drinking has been helpful. I had a stressful day at work on Friday and my norm was to come home and have a few drinks. Not this time. I came home and did 20 minutes on my stationary bike!:)

THIS is why we need a Like button! :bravo: I LOVE this!

Renee

kontesanera
03-09-2014, 03:59 PM
It took me forever to get through the posts, I have missed so much in two days.

Rene - what you and your husband did is so commendable. Not too many people would even bother to stop by to help. I had a bad car accident 4 years ago and there was a woman that stopped, called the police, and stayed with me until my husband came. I even called her after to thank her for doing that, it meant so much to me.

I had a challenging day yesterday in terms of staying OP. I had everything planned out for days, but then I forgot my IP snack and it kind of messed things up, but not too bad. We had that baptism yesterday at which we were godparents and I knew we would not be having dinner until 8 pm. I usually eat by 6 so I was worried. I had pudding for breakfast so I can have a restricted bar for snack which I was planning to eat on my way to church. We had to be at our friends house by 4:30 and I was so busy getting everybody ready at the house, had no time for snack and forgot to bring it with me. So to sum it up, I had a few nuts and slices of cheese at their house, and then stuck to roasted meat and salad at the restaurant. No wine, no cake, no pastries (there were 20 trays of different kinds of cakes and pastries!), no fruit. I really did not want to go down that slippery slope. I had only two packs yesterday and did not take my evening vitamins, but I had no bloat this morning and felt good, so I am confident I did not mess anything up.

Hockeymom40
03-09-2014, 04:03 PM
I am on my second round of I P. I lost about 30lbs the first time but I phased off because I never had the energy others have on this program. I went back to bad habits, gained the weight back plus 20 lbs. I feel terrible on this round too. I am wondering if any of you have had this situation. Also, I am wondering if South Beach or Atkins would back any better because of the extra fat and calories they allow. Thanks for any insight.

Are you getting all your supplements in? I notice if I don't get my potassium I have less energy.

getnlean
03-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Are you getting all your supplements in? I notice if I don't get my potassium I have less energy.

Thank you for responding. I am taking all of my supplements.

LuvA1exa
03-09-2014, 05:12 PM
I was moved to a site just for this weekend (I sell new homes so I am usually in a model - beautiful houses with all the comforts of home) and am stuck in an office space in a condo building. It is too busy to eat without interruption (or use the bathroom). Ugh - I only had 1/2 my veggies and a third of my water. To top it off - a friend dropped of the Girl Scout Cookies i ordered last month before I decided to go on IP. My will power is really being tested today. I have stayed strong so far - less than two hours left and I go home.

TurtleMom
03-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Howdy! I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, and finally got the courage to jump in:) I'm very new to this -just started my 2nd week of IP. I must say that reading these threads makes for an educational distraction from being hungry! Down 5 lbs at 1st WI, but inches stubbornly refused to budge. At least my clothes are beginning to fit differently!

Thank you to all who share their insight & wisdom -it is helping me stay on course. Wishing everyone well this week <3

JLUS
03-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Howdy! I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, and finally got the courage to jump in:) I'm very new to this -just started my 2nd week of IP. I must say that reading these threads makes for an educational distraction from being hungry! Down 5 lbs at 1st WI, but inches stubbornly refused to budge. At least my clothes are beginning to fit differently!

Thank you to all who share their insight & wisdom -it is helping me stay on course. Wishing everyone well this week <3

WELCOME!!

Some weeks you lose pounds, some weeks you lose inches and once in awhile you get a double whammy and lose both! (My clinic only measures every third week or two if you request.) I would venture to say that the first couple weeks it us more common to lose weight as you are dropping water weight. The inches WILL come off, so don't stress (stress adversely affects losses!)

Stay OP, stay the course and you will be dropping everything, including your drawers if you aren't careful!! :dizzy:

Slipfree
03-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Welcome to the Chat, Turtlemom! Congrats on your 5 pound loss. Keeping busy will get you through the beginning weeks. Don't worry, the inches will be gone soon enough.

JLUS
03-09-2014, 09:04 PM

Hi Cat!

Good for you giving the beers to your son... And when you get to maintenance and want a beer, you now have someone who owes you one!

How did your meeting with the new coach go? Was it the one you met here and were messaging with?

Hope all is well in your IP world!

HulaChic
03-09-2014, 09:47 PM
I'm on day 6 and every day is so different. I appreciate all the advice that I have been reading here. Very helpful and motivating

I'm getting a sore throat (over the last 2 days) and just feeling kind of achy all over. I'm not sure if it's the diet...detoxing...sugar/carb withdrawls...or what. Then I get emotional and feel like crying. My period isn't due...so maybe the diet. Weird! Oh, and I am a bit snacky, too. Not really bad, but I would love to eat a bag of chips or something. :-)

Pauline

Hiker88
03-09-2014, 09:58 PM

Welcome TurtleMom! You will find this forum, not only a great resource, but a wonderful support system! Be sure to let us know about the good days and the bad... we can all relate!

Bellamack
03-09-2014, 10:06 PM

Guess this should have gone on the 100% thread, but what I learned is that I can do this, no excuses. Why not give in? Because I can look in the mirror and be proud, skinny, and know I have not jeopardized my health or progress. That feels so much better than that salted caramel cheesecake would have!

ummmm. hmmmmmm. Salted Caramel anything, let alone cheesecake is like dying and going to HEAVEN! I have squashed that particular craving with Torani's Sugar-Free Salted Caramel Syrup ( I ordered 6, LOL) You are doing such a great job!

djs06
03-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Re: Alcohol

I would HIGHLY recommend abstaining or limiting yourself to just one. I had three mixed drinks (vodka and diet) a few weeks ago and blacked out. This would literally not have had an effect on me at all before IP. It was actually kind of scary. Plus that week I lost absolutely nothing.

jendilly
03-09-2014, 10:45 PM
This last week has been rough for me on IP and I could really use some positive thoughts, prayers, energy, whatever you have to give. I've had so many events to attend and then family here visiting and I did a so-so job of staying on plan. I was super excited to have my cousin here...she's a major health nut and a personal trainer. She saw me and was amazed at how I looked. I told her all about IP and she was actually really impressed. I was scared with how she would react, but she was super positive about it. She tried some of my food and thought it was great.

The problem was...I did too many little cheats lately. Took her to the Brown and Haley factory outlet (her husband loves Almond Roca and you can get it SUPER cheap there) and we bought some of that, so it was around. Then we had girl scout cookies here. I've noticed if I just have one little cheat, it turns in to a bunch of little cheats. Man, it's easy to see how sugar or carbs can affect you like that...you just want more. I didn't have big horrible nasty cheats, just little bits here and there that have added up and now I feel awful. My stomach feels bloated and I know I've just really blown it. It's so hard for me too, because the first 9+ weeks on IP I didn't even have one itty bitty bite of anything I wasn't supposed to have. And then this last week, it's been small bites of something bad almost every day. I HAVE to get myself under control and commit 100% starting right now that I will be 100% on plan from here on out. I know I feel better when I am and the only way this is going to be truly successful is if I am committed. Nothing that I've eaten tastes as good as healthy feels.

There's my confessional. It's completely my fault and I KNOW that I have the ability to be 100% on plan. I did it to myself. I've been fully on plan before and it's time to stop the crud and get back at it again.

Thanks for listening and thanks for any positive thoughts.

Hiker88
03-09-2014, 10:54 PM
There's my confessional. It's completely my fault and I KNOW that I have the ability to be 100% on plan. I did it to myself. I've been fully on plan before and it's time to stop the crud and get back at it again.

Thanks for listening and thanks for any positive thoughts.

jendilly, I had a slip myself and was totally bummed cause I'm a firm believer in being 100%. I was supremely disappointed in myself but decided that the cheat was over and it was back to business. I had a few hard days trying to get my hunger under control again but was soooo relieved when the hunger subsided and I was back to plan without effort! Beating yourself up won't help anything... get back on the horse!

catlady1981
03-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Hi Cat!

Good for you giving the beers to your son... And when you get to maintenance and want a beer, you now have someone who owes you one!

How did your meeting with the new coach go? Was it the one you met here and were messaging with?

Hope all is well in your IP world!

Hi JLUS: The meeting went well and yes, it was the one that I met on here. He is going to be talking to the clinic Dr. about me to see how we will work out the financial part, but I am going to his Workshop this coming Sat. and if all goes well I will start going to this new clinic. I should know something for sure from him by tomorrow or Tues. Then I will go to the old clinic on Tues. for WI and to get food and then I will be done with her. :carrot:

I was a IP baking fool today. I made waffles, cookies, and zucchini chocolate muffins. Veg is cut up and ready to go.

Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

catlady1981
03-09-2014, 11:01 PM

TurtleMom: :welcome2: You will find tons of support here, great recipes and advice. These fantastic ladies have helped me so much already!

Slipfree
03-09-2014, 11:02 PM
Jendilly, time to move forward. You can not change what has happened but you can change your next bite- Not a lick, a taste or a bite off program. You can do it! You have been doing it for 9 weeks. White knuckle through the cravings, get back into ketosis and be back on your way toward your goal.

AmberLS
03-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Thanks, everyone. I am actually looking forward to going back to work tomorrow to be around friends and the kids. I need some smiles.

Thanks! I enjoy the Proti Diet cereals (honey nut and chocolatey) and Banana Bread bars. Proti-Thin has wafers that i use for an occasional treat. For lunch, I like the Proti-Diet chicken noodle soup sometimes, and the Spaghettini. Their shakes and puddings are good, too, but I have held off on some of them during the colder months.

Yes, I second that. Lower body weight, different body composition, plus being "off" alcohol for a time all contribute to a different response to drinking. My suggestion? Stay away from it. It is WAY easier than you think, and you will lose more quickly. Most alcoholic beverages are just empty calories with absolutely NO health benefits. When you are phasing off and are ready to indulge, stick with red wine and start with one glass, maybe even half a glass. See how you feel, and make sure you are safe transportation-wise (even have it at home just to be safe). Trust me, I thought this would be the hardest part of IP, but it was a cinch! And this is coming from a stressed put middle school teacher who used to have a bottle on hand at all times and go out to happy hour regularly with co-workers. I still hang out with them; I just stick with unsweet tea and Splenda. It truly is all about the company, not the booze.

LOL it must be a teacher thing! I figured alcohol would be the hardest part for me and so far it's been fine, I can't believe I'm starting week four tomorrow this has gone by so fast.

smallerin2014
03-09-2014, 11:49 PM
Re: Alcohol

I would HIGHLY recommend abstaining or limiting yourself to just one. I had three mixed drinks (vodka and diet) a few weeks ago and blacked out. This would literally not have had an effect on me at all before IP. It was actually kind of scary. Plus that week I lost absolutely nothing.

I hope you are okay now. They warned us about that happening at the clinic I go to. I don't remember the exact explanation, but something having to do with ketosis and the kidneys/liver not being able to process the alcohol. I had to sign a paper that I was cautioned about the risks of alcohol use while on the protocol.

smallerin2014
03-09-2014, 11:56 PM
I'm on day 6 and every day is so different. I appreciate all the advice that I have been reading here. Very helpful and motivating

I'm getting a sore throat (over the last 2 days) and just feeling kind of achy all over. I'm not sure if it's the diet...detoxing...sugar/carb withdrawls...or what. Then I get emotional and feel like crying. My period isn't due...so maybe the diet. Weird! Oh, and I am a bit snacky, too. Not really bad, but I would love to eat a bag of chips or something. :-)

Pauline

Welcome Pauline. I am going for week 4 WI tomorrow. I went through some of the exact same things you are mentioning during my first week. I felt achy, sore throat and felt like I was getting sick; actually took a day off of work. Also had the emotional stuff - on one of the IP videos I watched they referenced hormones being stored in fat and being released as you burn the fat. Hang in there, I felt much better during week 2. I hope you do as well :)

Fearciuil
03-10-2014, 12:43 AM
Hi, everyone; another newbie here. I started IP last Tuesday and have been ... having trouble with the 4 cups of veg per day. I've managed most days, but there were a couple of days that I didn't eat the full amount. Any suggestions? I'm looking forward to trying lisa32989's zucchini muffins, but I need more packets for that.

Also, I see some fellow teachers here ... how do you manage balancing the water input/output thing? I don't have pee breaks except before school, lunch, and after school. :\ The first day on IP was quite a challenge, just for that!

gidgetonsweets
03-10-2014, 01:27 AM
OK. Lol. I just need to make sure. Fear of the unknown. lol
Thanks Ruth Ann