Faith Based Support Groups - Lent - Resisting temptation

View Full Version : Lent - Resisting temptation

tyla
03-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Anyone want to join me in resisting temptation - especially now until Easter? There's temptation everywhere, let alone those negative thoughts/emotions in our head Let's be strong for Our Lord. It doesn't matter what faith you are. Come join me.

tyla
03-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Day 47

eating plan - in range
exercise - 30 minute dvd
Just went to an aerobics class, too!

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

EasySpirit
03-05-2014, 05:51 PM
I am giving up bread - - a true sacrifice for me, but one that will also hopefully help me lose weight.

abetterme
03-05-2014, 06:02 PM
I'll join. There are a few things I want to give up for lent, actually all together really.
Yelling
Swearing
Distrust
Worries!
Any negative emotion really.
lol

tyla
03-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Welcome, EasySpirit and abetterme! Looking forward to being strong together. :D

Today
calories in range
Exercise - dvd

Radiojane
03-06-2014, 04:30 PM
I also had a thread going in weight loss support (I think) about lent. I have given up cheese, facebook & swearing. I'm also learning cross stitch.

It's good to see so many people working towards positivity!

abetterme
03-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Eh..today has been frustrating. I had to think to myself, don't yell don't yell..could have been better but I wasn't horrible.

tyla
03-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Today and yesterday were tempting days for me, too, abetterme!. I don't know why. But I shall get through this! Sheesh! As long as we're in this together, things will get better. :)

abetterme
03-06-2014, 09:54 PM
I agree. One day at a time. :)

tyla
03-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Day 45 :) So far, so good.

Happy Friday! TGIF

EagleRiverDee
03-07-2014, 03:19 PM
I'm not Catholic but I am joining in on Lent. I think it's a good thing to do.

For Lent, I am giving up:
Alcohol
Cheese
Gluttony (overeating)

I also am trying to develop a strong relationship with God, and focus on doing nice things or charitable acts.

For good measure I'm also trying to do at least 1/2 hour of exercise every day during Lent- I have been ill and my exercise had gone by the wayside. So I'm trying to get back into it now.

Radiojane
03-07-2014, 03:28 PM
EagleRiverDee I'm so glad to have a "cheese" ally... Most people you tell you're giving up cheese and they look at you like you're crazy :)

I feel strangely at peace since I made the commitment to this. Like what I'm working towards is happiness more than any of my specific goals. I almost lapsed today on the Facebook, but I can do it :)

EagleRiverDee
03-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Radiojane-

Likewise, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one too! Cheese is my kryptonite. I can avoid cakes, cookies, pies, etc. But you put something out that's all melty, gooey and loaded with cheese? I crumble like cracker.

Radiojane
03-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Me too!

tyla
03-08-2014, 06:17 PM
You guys are funny! Thanks for making me laugh! Humor will save us all. lol

Day 44 Rather than count calories, I'm going for health. (Trying to give up things that are not good for my body - like processed foods.) Today I was very mindful of what I put in my mouth. :) I also walked briskly for half an hour. (That's a big deal on a Saturday, because I'm lazier about exercise on the weekends.)

Best of luck to all of us. :goodluck:

tyla
03-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Day 42

Eating within range
Pilates this am

EagleRiverDee
03-10-2014, 08:45 PM
I'm 100% on avoiding alcohol.
99% on cheese- I went to dinner the other night and ordered a salad and didn't even think they might dump cheese on a garden salad but they did. I picked off as much as I could but inevitably could not get it all.
Gluttony- this one's hard because it's so subjective. I have to eat. I try to eat to the point of being full, but not to the point of being stuffed. I'm avoiding desserts and things like that, because that does strike me as sort of being gluttony although I guess it might more aptly be called decadence. So I'm just trying to use my judgement.

tyla
03-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Dee, I think you're doing great! I'm using my judgment, too.

41 days until Easter.
In range
Exercised.

Radiojane
03-12-2014, 12:05 PM
I'm failing rather epically on the cheese. I haven't bought any more cheese sticks or the like, but my boyfriend is on a nacho kick and I've had some. Still way less then I was consuming before.

Still good on Facebook and about 99 percent on swearing.

tyla
03-12-2014, 12:46 PM
RadioJane, just keep going. You're doing great! We're all in this together. Besides, Our Lord is happy we're trying. :)

Today is 40 days before Easter. Today I take an exercise class. That seems to motivate me more than just doing exercises by myself. Exercise is my struggle, but I keep trying to do my best. Yesterday I went to Church to ask for God's help and strength.

I'm also determined to stay within my calorie range today. So far, so good.

Let's keep trying to do our best. :dust:

tyla
03-13-2014, 12:47 PM
39 days until Easter. Yesterday was easier for me! I stayed within my calorie range and had an aerobics class. Today I've planned my meals, and shall exercise later in the day.

We can do this together. :)

abetterme
03-13-2014, 12:59 PM
I've been better with the no yelling and more patient so yay me lol even swearing a lot less which used to be really hard for me.

EagleRiverDee
03-13-2014, 03:23 PM
I am really struggling with gluttony. Argh. The past two days, I have to say I failed. I didn't eat at any point to the point of being stuffed, but I ate more than I should have. I made fried rice last night (in hindsight, probably a mistake) and had a pretty good sized portion to start with...then went back for seconds.

I'm still 100% on alcohol, and 99% on cheese.

tyla
03-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Dee, keep going. All we can do is never give up trying. :) Besides, you've given up alcohol and cheese! Those are hard things to give up!

abetterme, congrats on not yelling, having more patience and swearing less. Giving up all those things takes strength!

We're making progress together. :grouphug:

tyla
03-14-2014, 01:39 PM
It's 38 days until Easter. Ate 1350 calories yesterday, and exercised to a Richard Simmons dvd.

Today I've planned my calories - even going out to dinner. Going out for a walk now.

tyla
03-15-2014, 07:44 AM
37 days until Easter. Had 1360 calories yesterday.

Planned my meals for today and must exercise. I will do it!

tyla
03-16-2014, 10:38 AM
36 days until Easter. Went out to lunch yesterday. Ate 1/2 hamburger and fries for lunch. Other half for dinner. Walked.

Radiojane
03-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Ate all weekend for the birthday party and for St. Patrick's day party. Still good on cheese and Facebook. Slipped a little on the swearing.

EagleRiverDee
03-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Still good on cheese and alcohol. Ate too much last night- we got invited over for a St. Patrick's day dinner - corned beef, potatoes, cabbage, peas, fruit salad, beer bread, soda bread and kahlua pie. *SMH* Conquering gluttony is definitely the hardest. Oddly, just knowing I can't have alcohol or cheese makes me sort of not crave it although I suspect the closer I get to Easter the more I'll look forward to it.

Bootsie
03-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Giving up bread, cookies and worry.

tyla
03-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Hi Bootsie, I love your signature saying!

I've miscounted. It's 33 days until Easter. I've been having temptation lately, and my doctor suggested to lay off of starchy carbs like bread. So that's what I'm doing. No more hamburgers and fries!

tyla
03-19-2014, 01:15 PM
32 days until Easter.

I felt so much better yesterday when I didn't eat any starchy food.

So far I've had an eggbeaters omelet today, will eat veggies and chicken for lunch and dinner.

tenecgal
03-19-2014, 09:40 PM
For my 40 days of Lent which started on Ash Wednesday I gave up carbonated beverages. This is my 15th day without any carbonation. I still want a diet coke everyday but I can do this.

tyla
03-20-2014, 07:12 PM
31 days until Easter.
I did great today with no high carbohydrate foods. This is a big deal for me! Not tempted for a change, thank God.

tyla
03-21-2014, 05:26 PM
30 days until Easter.

Since I've stopped eating bread and other refined carbohydrates, I feel better. I'm proud of myself, because initially, this wasn't easy. :)

tyla
03-22-2014, 04:52 PM
29 days until Easter.

No carbs, feeling good. Just came back from a long walk. :)

tyla
03-23-2014, 03:39 PM
28 days until Easter. :)

Since I've given up high carbs, I feel so much better. Thank you, Lord, for giving me this idea and helping me with this plan.

EagleRiverDee
03-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Still struggling with gluttony and I think the main reason is I'm a black and white type of person. So alcohol, that one is easy- I can't drink alcohol, period. Cheese, same thing. No cheese, period. But everyone has to eat. So while I'm eating I'm weighing it out in my head- "if I eat that much, is it gluttony? Do I need to still be hungry after eating for it not to be gluttony, or just not stuffed? Is having a piece of pie on my birthday gluttonous?" I think next year I need to stick to resolutions that are more clearly defined.

I've been trying to build my relationship with the Lord through all this- I've been reading scripture (which I do most days) but have added in watching Mass on most days (on Catholic TV) and I'm trying to adhere to the Lenten suggestion of working on charity. And I pray for help with the gluttony, among other things.

tyla
03-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Dee, I know how you feel. I've struggled this Lenten season more than other seasons. I think it's because I've allowed myself foods in the last few months, that I haven't had in the last few years. Then I decided to stop counting calories and focus on giving up breads and starchy carbs (anything processed). I haven't had any cravings for about a week. Doesn't sound like much of an achievement, now that I've posted this. But you have to start somewhere. I'm trying to think portion control and better eating - More lean meats, veggies and fruit.

I've prayed a lot about this, too, as I gained weight this year because of emotional eating. I'm doing a lot better. Now I just have to get my exercising in gear.

Let's post to each other on this thread. It helps to give each other support. Good luck to you. I'm praying for you!!! ((Hugs))

EagleRiverDee
03-24-2014, 06:18 PM
Tyla-

That sounds great, I agree the support on this thread is helpful. Thanks also for your prayers- I will be praying for you as well!

Dee

tyla
03-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Dee, thank you. I really appreciate your prayers. :) Even though there's only 27 more days until Easter, it's not too late to give it our best shot. It's fantastic that you've given up alcohol and cheese! Those are 2 big deals. Little by little, let's try giving up the things that are holding us back. We can do this together! :strong: :hug:

tyla
03-25-2014, 01:07 PM
26 more days until Easter. :)

Staying strong. I feel better about my eating plan these days. Gotta look better in my clothes.

Dee, how are you doing? How is the weather in Alaska?

tyla
03-26-2014, 12:54 PM
Day 25 until Easter. :) Less than a month away. Boy, does time fly. :(

Staying strong with my low carb plan. I think giving up bread and other high carb foods (which makes me gluten-free) was good. Thank you, Lord.

EagleRiverDee
03-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Tyla-

Sorry, I missed your question yesterday. The weather here has been beautiful by Alaska standards. It's been nothing but sunny lately, and although it's not spring yet we're in that late part of winter where we have 12+ hours of daylight and it feels warmer and so we're enjoying getting out snowmobiling. We went to a remote glacier last week, and it was just beautiful!

Congrats on staying on plan. I'm doing better, I think, on feeling less gluttonous. And I have actually seen a budge on the scale even, which is most welcome!

Shannonsnail
03-28-2014, 03:01 PM
I decided to give up sugar sweetened beverages for Lent this year but my hope is that by Easter I will be able to continue giving them up more or less permanently and move on to the next unhealthy habit.

love2b150
03-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Gave up bread, potatoes, rice, pasta (minus Shirataki pasta) which I have but have not eaten.

I slipped up and ate two hot dog buns one week and two rolls weekend before last.

I have made the oopsie rolls to get me through.

tyla
04-03-2014, 08:52 AM
17 days until Easter. I'm still working on staying strong. Hubby and I went out of town for a few days, which did not help me. Started eating a few carbs again, but felt so bad physically. Now I'm back to eating only fruits, veggies, protein and allowing oatmeal. I'm sorry to say that I've done a pathetic job at being perfect for Lent this year. But I keep trying. On a good note, friends and I went out for a walk yesterday. After the walk, they stopped for donuts. I didn't eat anything. Good for me!

Dee, thank you for telling us about your Alaskan adventures. It sounds very beautiful. Let's keep staying strong together. :hug:

Love2be150, congratulations on your weight loss and strength! Keep it up the great work. :hug:

Shannon, good going on giving up sugary drinks. Best of luck to you! :hug:

Radiojane
04-03-2014, 11:29 AM
I haven't been so good on the cheese. I'm still at far less than I was eating, but I've failed rather epically at the "Giving up"

Still good on Facebook & foul language.

EagleRiverDee
04-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Still 100% on cheese, 100% on alcohol.

Gluttony- I dunno. I still struggle with the definition. Is eating until I'm full gluttony? Because if so, I'm failing big time. I am avoiding things that feel gluttonous like dessert and stuff because obviously my body doesn't need that. This is a good lesson for next year- I am clearly a black & white personality and I need to give myself very clear definitions. So maybe next year, instead of "gluttony" I will pledge to eat only nutritious food and no junk for all of lent. That would be much easier for me to assess.

tyla
04-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Jane and Dee, let's not be so hard on ourselves. We keep trying to be perfect during this Lenten period. But I think Our Lord is happy we're trying to change our bad habits and better ourselves. Let's continue to try to improve. :) I'm so glad we're doing this together. :hug:

tyla
04-04-2014, 12:46 PM
16 days until Easter!

Still working hard at it. No bread or high carbs, motivated to exercise again. Thank you, Lord.

tyla
04-05-2014, 07:40 AM
15 days until Easter. :) Found my strength these last few days. Thank you, Lord.

EagleRiverDee
04-07-2014, 02:04 AM
Tyla, nice! Glad you found your strength!

I'm doing good on exercise, still no cheese or alcohol. Had a decadent dinner tonight as a date night with the DH which I feel a little guilty about. I'll try to keep my diet spartan tomorrow to make up for it.

tyla
04-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Dee, you're doing a great job! And having a date night with hubby is important, too!

Saturday wasn't perfect for me, either. But I got right back on the horse Sunday and today. I exercised all three days, though.

Let's stay strong together. We can do this. :hug:

tyla
04-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Only 12 days until Easter. :) Resisting temptation and have been sticking to my plan and exercising. Feeling so much better for it.

tyla
04-09-2014, 11:50 PM
11 days until Easter! Can you believe it?!

I did well today. I had 1369 cals and exercised for 65 minutes. Thank you, Lord, for giving me motivation and strength.

Radiojane
04-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Can't believe it's so close. Drastically cut back my cheese again. Still good on everything else.

tyla
04-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Jane, I didn't realize how much weight you've lost. Amazing!! Awesome!! Keep up the great work!

10 days until Easter. Had to take my car in for servicing. So that means I'm home alone with temptations surrounding me. Please give me strength, Lord.

tyla
04-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Today is 9 days until Easter. :) The days are flying by so quickly.

I ended up doing pretty well yesterday (1600 cals, more than I hoped - all natural foods, however) No bread, no dressing on salad. Exercised 40 minutes. Today I'm definitely having less cals! Today's calorie count was 1374. :yay:

Good luck to everyone! TGIF!!

tyla
04-18-2014, 11:04 AM
2 more days until Easter! I hope everyone has a great Easter! Let's keep staying strong.

:easter2: :easter2: :easter2:

tyla
04-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Wow, one more day until Easter. Boy, time flies fast. Where are all the days going? I've been super good this last week. Didn't even look at the Easter candies around me. Haven't eaten bread for a while. Tonight we go out to dinner with friends :yikes:, but I plan to eat a salad only, perhaps no dressing.

Happy Easter, Everyone!! :easter2:

EagleRiverDee
04-20-2014, 06:15 PM
Happy Easter, everyone! Our Lenten journey is complete, and today we celebrate our Risen Lord.

Anyone have any success stories from Lent? I did lose a little weight, which was nice.

tyla
04-21-2014, 10:22 PM
The fact that I ate pretty well most of the time, haven't had bread or alcohol in a while and am eating less sugar is a success for me. Wasn't perfect, but tried to be. When I went out to lunch or dinner, I always went for the least amount of calories. I just wasn't as perfect as I have been during Lent in the past. That part makes me sad. Thank you, Dee, for the quote from Rod Gilbert.