Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #1  

Default Obsession over the scale

I think over the last few weeks I am becoming obsessed with the scale that I am unable to keep myself from weighing in everyday. Sometimes several times a day I am not actually upset pr bothered if there is no change but I need to weigh myself.. I tried to stay away from it and move to weighing in only on my official weigh in days but I am just not able to...

Is there anyone else who has felt this way and any ideas to get out of this habit ?

Please let me know
nlauah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #2  
On my way to -70

S/C/G: 202/192/132lbs

Height: 5'4''

Yeah, I weight myself every day, first thing in the morning. When I had just began dieting I did several times a day; I guess it was just another way of feeling in control. I told my husband about it and he put the scale away in the closet; I could obviously see it but I was too lazy to get on a step stool to get it, hahaha! After that week of "scale abstinence" I went back to weighing myself in only in the mornings like a regular dieting person.

I still don't take into consideration my daily weight ins though, because weight fluctuates SO much from one day to the next it would drive us nuts if we actually paid attention to those crazy numbers.

Last edited by Paulitens; 03-04-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Paulitens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #3  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

Height: 5'5"

I weigh every day, but don't let it get to me. If I have a day where I'm up a bit, I make myself think about why "Ok, I had beans at dinner and those always stay in my system and make me weigh heavier the next day". I find it encourages me to do well that day, whether I'm up or down.
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 394/376/185

Height: 5'9

I like to weigh myself daily as well. I like to see and study my patterns and how my weight fluctuates...sometimes it makes me mad but I feel more in control when I do it.
LORRILYE1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/216/180

Height: 5'4"

The scale can drive person bonkers!! This is why I rarely weigh myself and also at the same time be able to stick to my program.
Waterbunny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

I weigh everyday, but I don't expect a good number everyday. I judge my success or failure based on whether I've stayed on plan foodwise and whether I've done my exercise. The scale has way too many variables from water retention, to constipation, to who knows what. I weigh everyday because it reminds me to stay on plan. When I stop weighing myself it usually means I don't want to see the number because I've been off plan.
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #7  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlauah View Post
I think over the last few weeks I am becoming obsessed with the scale that I am unable to keep myself from weighing in everyday. Sometimes several times a day I am not actually upset pr bothered if there is no change but I need to weigh myself..
If you don't get upset by the result, what's the problem?

Lots of people weigh every day. Tracking daily fluctuations can be interesting and even helpful to some people. Daily weighing is not, by itself, a pathological behavior.

I also sometimes weigh myself more than once a day. I find it interesting some times to see how much my weight changes during the course of a normal day, or over night - I can drop as much as two pounds doing nothing but sleeping, respirating, and peeing in the morning. It's fascinating! And it helps me keep into perspective how easily meaningful fat loss is masked by other factors that contribute to my total weight at any given moment.

There are enough behaviors to fret about when one is trying to lose weight. Why fret over this one, if you're not bothered by the number you see?
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #8  
Less of a Better Me

I weigh daily. I read that research has generally shown that people who weigh daily do better on weight loss. The feedback is helpful in allowing people to self-correct. Here is one article:

https://globalhealth.duke.edu/media/...ts-lose-weight

Of course, if weighing daily crazes someone so that they eat more then don't do it. But doesn't sound like it does that to you.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #9  
300+ Chick

I am or should say now was a daily weigher, I weighed once a day and my home scale would move, but BOOM! my weight return back. Now am going to weigh weekly and just stay calm on my journey. Daily weigh ins is not for me. It works for most people, but not me..it hinders my efforts!

Good luck to you with your efforts!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #10  

I weigh myself every day. I feel like this makes it easier to see trends over time. But keep in mind that your body composition is far more important than your weight. I just lost 2 pounds but those 2 pounds came entirely from muscle. I would have been better off being a little heavier and having more muscle. You want to lose fat not weight.
julie14401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Ah, I just posted about this on another forum today. It is starting to be a compulsion for me, to be honest, and I don't like how that feels. People came up with a few great suggestions:
1) store the scale elsewhere and ONLY take it out when you're weighing in for the week
2) take the batteries out of the scale, only put them back in for weekly weigh in
3) have someone else take the scale and put it somewhere

I'm gonna try the first two but I have a feeling that my behavior is ridiculous enough to merit #3..
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 191/149/135

I used to weigh myself daily...I too became obsessed in the past. So I stopped weighing myself and within just a matter of weeks, I gained 10 lbs. daily weigh ins are the only way I can keep tabs on my weight, I've found it to be essential to my success.
Mer du Japon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:12 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 273/196/163

I became very obsessed with the scale last year, to the actual point that it was ruining my mental health. I actually had to take a couple of months off my weight loss, because I was becoming so restrictive with my foods because I wanted the number on the scale to go down. I had to weigh myself pretty much everyday. After I stopped, I felt so much better, like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

Yes, it may be hard to stop weighing yourself, but it is worth it if you are becoming obsessed. You have to worry about your mental health as well. Don't let yourself become obsessed, I know from experience that it won't make you happy - just sad, obsessed and isolated.
madelinerose94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

It doesn't matter if anyone else says it's a good thing or it's a bad thing. What anyone else thinks about it should be completely irrelevant! There are pros and cons but none of those matter either!

Instead, try to focus on how you actually feel. Not on how you think you should feel, not on how you want to feel, not on whether someone else said you should feel. Really take stock of what this is doing to you. Are you feeling anxious before or after the scale? Does your mind wander back to what the scale said this morning? Does your heart sink when you see a .3lb gain? Do you get overly excited when you see a .7lb loss? Because to me that's not motivational at all. Those little numbers are meaningless and I'm tired of them affecting the rest of my day. But I can only speak for myself, I really sat and allowed myself to truly let that scale dictate my mood and therefore I'm letting it go. At the moment it's in my basement. I want to go and look at it but I'm doing my best to avoid it. I'm even annoyed that I feel this way. Nothing should cause this much stress!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #15  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I weigh every day. Every morning, after I go to the bathroom, and nekked.

I like to track and graph these things too. I like that by weighing every day I can pick out trends to my weight loss. I get excited at a loss and it helps KEEP me on track for the day. Today for example was a gain. (3lbs!) But, I went out for dinner and drinks and dessert so it was to be expected. I don't let it get me down, it resolves my focus and I can only hope for a better number tomorrow.

You gotta do the thing that works the best for you. You can jump on that scale as many or as few times as you like really, just as long as it isn't messing with your head.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote