Ideal Protein Diet - Jicama: What To Do With It?

View Full Version : Jicama: What To Do With It?

finale
03-03-2014, 11:50 AM
I picked up a Jicama on Saturday and am wondering how I should cook it to IP standards?

djs06
03-03-2014, 11:53 AM
I slice it thinly with a mandolin slider and cook in a pan with olive oil til slightly brown (mostly on the outside). It's actually also delicious as fries, I've recently discovered!

catlady1981
03-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Loads of ways to eat this wonderful veggie.

Julienne and put on salads.
Slice like fries and dip in dressing

I've tried both of these and they are really good.

There are recipes out there that say that they can be baked like french fries but I haven't tried that.

Raw it's crunchy and has the consistency of an apple, but not as sweet.

In the past I used hummus as my dip of choice for this. But no more.

Chicnana
03-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Was looking at it at the grocery store the other day and was wondering how to cook it as well! I'll definitely be trying it! :)

lisa32989
03-03-2014, 12:55 PM

There are recipes out there that say that they can be baked like french fries but I haven't tried that.

look in the recipe threads for the caulihummus recipe and the mockamole. Both would make great dips for jicama

willsea
03-03-2014, 12:58 PM
I slice it like a piece of cheese and put paprika on it. yummy!!

vtcowgirl
03-03-2014, 06:56 PM
I have never tried it. The small local grocery store doesn't carry it, I will have to go to the big city and see if I can find some!

JenJen444
03-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Yes, do look for it - it's really worth trying!

I finally found jicama just a few weeks ago, after months of searching.
I loved it instantly. Sadly, I loved it a little too much.

I didn't care for it raw, but I cut it up and baked it in the oven like fries.
Oh my.
Oh MY!!
(Note - they will still have some crunch to them no matter how long you cook them. I like that crunch!)

I have never had cravings for my Quest bars or any of the sweet IP products, but something about the sweetness in cooked jicama was like crack to me.

When I started sneaking bites of the leftover fries out of the fridge late at night I knew I had to give it up.

I told a friend on IP, "I haven't come this far to be derailed by a bloody vegetable!" So... no more jicama for me, at least not until maintenance.

catlady1981
03-03-2014, 10:38 PM
look in the recipe threads for the caulihummus recipe and the mockamole. Both would make great dips for jicama

Lisa: Thanks for that. I'll look at those recipes. I have jicama in the fridge right now:cool:

sarahBell
03-03-2014, 10:40 PM
if you make fries and have the IP chili pour the chili over the jimca fies for chili fries (baked fries) YUMMO!

MustangMolly
03-04-2014, 10:24 AM
raw with a little cinnamon

dchild8989
03-04-2014, 11:45 AM
I use jicama in place of apples. Sugarfree baked apples or apple sauce. Baked with pork chops.

We had the Napa Veggies at the Rainforest Cafe and knew we had to find a way to make something similar at home. My kids now say that our recipe is better than the Rainforest Cafe's. There is a lot of room for personal taste with this recipe, add other veggies or take out those you don't like. Our favorite is the Jicama, we could never leave that one out! This recipe makes a ton, but it keeps well. It will still be nice & crispy 4 days later.

1 green pepper, julienned
1 red pepper, julienned
1 yellow pepper, julienned
1 large jicama, julienned
2 cups carrots, julienned (about 4 carrots) optional
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
1/2 cup raisins (I use mix of white & regular) optional
1 cucumber, sliced
1 cup red cabbage, julienned (optional)
2/3 cup vinegar (I use seasoned white rice vinegar)
1/2 cup sugar (sugar sub)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)

Combine all the veggies in a large bowl. I use my mandolin to cut everything since there is so much julienning to do. In a small bowl, mix vinegar, sugar, oil, salt & pepper. Pour over veggies. Cover & marinate in the refrigerator. We will eat it right away, but as it sits the veggies soak up the flavors.

rmcjaug
03-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Is Jicama allowed on Phase 1? Would it be used sparingly like tomatoes, rutabagas, eggplant,etc?

finale
03-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Thanks everyone.

I beleieve JenJen44 I have things I need to stay away from also.

rmcjaug
03-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Forgive me. I was looking at my list this afternoon and saw that jicama is on there!

RPB
03-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Love jicama. Lots of it in New Mexico. Great with salsa.

Jenny38
03-04-2014, 09:35 PM
I discovered it a month ago and live it, eating it raw. Reminds me of an Asian pear. The last week or so it may have contributed to stomach cramps, maybe too much fibre?

NanDeNa
03-05-2014, 12:25 AM
I feel the same way, it's great raw! Make sure you peel the skin down far enought so it isn't bitter tasting,.... otherwise Yum!

I do find that that fibre is "good for me" ...trying to not to share too much... I skip a few days in between ...for that reason! But we all love it.

I even got my bro-in-law to taste it & he helped to finish the plate... So happy to share something good with others !

Ruth Ann
03-05-2014, 08:11 AM
I love jicama and eat it raw whenever I can (which means when it is not too expensive!). Only problem is that I haven't figured out how to tell a good one from a bad one so have to have the produce guy cut it open for me before I buy it since there's nothing worse than getting home and finding out it's all brown inside. Yuck.

lisa32989
03-05-2014, 08:37 AM
I love jicama and eat it raw whenever I can (which means when it is not too expensive!). Only problem is that I haven't figured out how to tell a good one from a bad one so have to have the produce guy cut it open for me before I buy it since there's nothing worse than getting home and finding out it's all brown inside. Yuck.

Just had that problem with avocados last week. I'll grab a produce guy next time so I only buy good ones. It'll be a bit b/c I'm back p1 after some gut intervention to see if I'll lose anymore or if more tests are necessary

NanDeNa
03-13-2014, 10:41 AM
I recently had a problem with the Jicama I purchased. 2 of the 4 pounds were bad, they were all brown inside! Although I was lucky my supermarket took them back and replaced them. I was suspect of these bad Jicama because they didn't have a waxy feel to them and they had small indented bumps on them too. I've also noticed that my good ones aren't tasting as naturally sweet as usual. I'm not sure why that is, but I just learned that they can be kept refrigerated to help keep it for longer periods of time. Which makes me think that my market should be keeping them chilled as well. I just thought I'd share my experience. Happy Thursday to all!

dak1lls
03-13-2014, 01:42 PM
I use jicama in place of apples. Sugarfree baked apples or apple sauce. Baked with pork chops.

We had the Napa Veggies at the Rainforest Cafe and knew we had to find a way to make something similar at home. My kids now say that our recipe is better than the Rainforest Cafe's. There is a lot of room for personal taste with this recipe, add other veggies or take out those you don't like. Our favorite is the Jicama, we could never leave that one out! This recipe makes a ton, but it keeps well. It will still be nice & crispy 4 days later.

1 green pepper, julienned
1 red pepper, julienned
1 yellow pepper, julienned
1 large jicama, julienned
2 cups carrots, julienned (about 4 carrots) optional
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
1/2 cup raisins (I use mix of white & regular) optional
1 cucumber, sliced
1 cup red cabbage, julienned (optional)
2/3 cup vinegar (I use seasoned white rice vinegar)
1/2 cup sugar (sugar sub)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)

Combine all the veggies in a large bowl. I use my mandolin to cut everything since there is so much julienning to do. In a small bowl, mix vinegar, sugar, oil, salt & pepper. Pour over veggies. Cover & marinate in the refrigerator. We will eat it right away, but as it sits the veggies soak up the flavors.

This sounds really yummy. Unfortunately the carrots, raisins and vegetable oil aren't allowed on phase 1. Have you tried making it without the carrots and raisins, of found any substitutions for those that would be P1 compliant?

getnlean
03-13-2014, 02:31 PM
I recently had a problem with the Jicama I purchased. 2 of the 4 pounds were bad, they were all brown inside! Although I was lucky my supermarket took them back and replaced them. I was suspect of these bad Jicama because they didn't have a waxy feel to them and they had small indented bumps on them too. I've also noticed that my good ones aren't tasting as naturally sweet as usual. I'm not sure why that is, but I just learned that they can be kept refrigerated to help keep it for longer periods of time. Which makes me think that my market should be keeping them chilled as well. I just thought I'd share my experience. Happy Thursday to all!

The grocery that I buy mine from always has them refrigerated.

lisa32989
03-13-2014, 03:49 PM
Mine doesn't keep them refrigerated nor do they feel waxy (the rutabaga does, but not the jicama). I've started asking them to cut them open for me at the store (that, and avacado, when I've been on P4). It is VERY frustrating to get home and have bad produce!

dchild8989
03-14-2014, 12:20 PM
This sounds really yummy. Unfortunately the carrots, raisins and vegetable oil aren't allowed on phase 1. Have you tried making it without the carrots and raisins, of found any substitutions for those that would be P1 compliant?

Yes, posted the full blown recipe...I modify it for PH1. Family Loves it.

dak1lls
03-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Yes, posted the full blown recipe...I modify it for PH1. Family Loves it.

I'd love to try it, can you tell me how you modify it? Thanks!

joysh
03-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Yummy jicama! I love it!! I eat it raw, but maybe I'll try the fries!

Rubygirl
03-14-2014, 02:00 PM
I'm going to get some jicama today and try it!! Day 6 on P1 and I'm feeling fantastic.....whoo hoo

Fearciuil
03-15-2014, 02:02 AM
OMG! Thank you all for pointing jicama out to me! Tried some with dinner, and loved it!

Hgamroth
03-15-2014, 10:40 AM
I love peeling them, dicing them up and sprinkling cinnamon on them. It is a nice snack. :)

Fearciuil
03-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Baking jicama fries now, lightly salted and sprinkled with apple pie spice. Smells WONDERFUL.

lovethediet
03-22-2014, 06:48 PM

I microwave slices in zip lock bag with about 1 tsp water. Spray with non stick butter spray, add cinnamon and 1 pk splenda. Leave one corner of bag open so it can vent. Cook 10 min. Tastes like apple pie. Try it.

goldilocksinct
03-23-2014, 09:58 AM
I cut in sticks and sprinkle with Truvia and cinnamon and it is filling and yummy for part of my work lunch.