Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat March 3 - March 9

BillBlueEyes
03-03-2014, 04:31 AM
I'm up early to tend to our 5-8" of snow - that didn't happen here. Don't know who got it, but I wish them well. I'm done with winter.

My challenge for the week is to figure out how to get in a wider range of exercise. Seems that my head conveniently carries the notion of such things as being able to do two sets of 10 full push-ups. Well, I could do that - only a few years ago. Since I stopped doing them, my body forgot how.

Mudpie
03-03-2014, 05:25 AM
Bill We got some of that snow yesterday and will probably get the rest in several bouts during the week. I too am tired of this. It's minus 30 this morning (with the wind chill) and I have 2 extra walks today.

I am doing a difficult dog/cat sit this week, starting today until next Monday, so the challenge will be to get through it without alcohol or too many treats. My birthday is Thursday but I have 2 extra walks on that day so I will consider it a success if I get through the day without injury. No celebration of any kind and I expect my dinner will be fast food - too tired to do anything else after 7 dogwalks.

Dagmar :tired:

silverbirch
03-03-2014, 05:52 AM
Good morning! :wave:

paperclippy
03-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Good morning. I am working from home today since we were supposed to have some kind of nasty massive storm, but it didn't really materialize. Oh well, I already had my laptop home. :lol:

Michele, congrats on your employee of the year award!

Bargoo, you can get out of jury duty if you are physically incapable.

Babies have been nap disasters lately. Ever since A figured out how to sit up on her own, after 40 minutes of napping exactly she will start to stir and immediately sit up in her crib, then cry because she doesn't actually want to be up. We put her back down and she just sits up again, over and over, until either we give up or she finally goes back to sleep. Meanwhile C is out like a light the whole time, then their schedules get all screwed up. Yesterday they only got 1.5 hours of naps the entire day and they need more like 3 hours, so they were super fussy.

Megan1982
03-03-2014, 08:18 AM
Morning all,

The winter fog is back here. I had fooled myself into thinking it was gone. My challenge to myself for the next two weeks is to get my yoga in. I will have to miss my favorite Wednesday class for the next 2 Wednesdays, since I will be out of town for day meetings both day. I don't like the M/Th class as much, but I think it will benefit me and need to go at least once. I missed last week already bc I was also out of town for work. I know I will get in some good dog wogs but need to prioritize the yoga, too.

I'm also soooo happy it's Florida strawberry season. Strawberries on salads, strawberries on oatmeal, strawberries for dessert. Yummy.

Oh, crud. Got a phone call and have to run. Be back shortly for personals. :)

CherryPie99
03-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Morning all!

I took today off from work because it's my wedding anniversary. We have been married 9 years today, but we actually went on our first date 25 years ago this month!

Hard to believe! No real plans - it is FREEZING cold here although it is sunny. But since we haven't had a thaw, everything is bogged down in a THICK blanket of frozen snow.

Hope the impending storm has totally fizzled out!!

Have a great week everyone!

Jen

alinnell
03-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Happy anniversary, Jen.

Happy birthday, Michele!!

Happy early birthday, Dagmar.

I heard all you midwesterners and easterners were supposed to get part three of the polar vortex. Strange that it didn't materialize. Our weather was supposed to be VERY rainy Thursday through Saturday but we got maybe half an inch on Friday. I heard that there were places that got several inches and that's good as the state really needs it.

We had a great weekend. The Rhythm, Wine and Brews Experience was so much fun. We may have to do it again next year (and hope that it won't be so cold). We ended up leaving during the second performer because we were so cold. Sunday my MIL and I took the dogs on a long walk and it was hot and humid. It looked as if it could rain a lot but we got nothing from those clouds.

Last night we watched the Oscars. We had made our "votes" and compared ours to what really won. DH predicted the most winners but I predicted the best movie correct.

traveling michele
03-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Happy Anniversary Jen! Were you and dh together all those years you weren't married? Hope you have a great day off! I'm taking tomorrow off and I can't wait!

Allison-- I watched the Oscars even though I haven't seen the movies. I loved Lupita (is that her name?)'s reaction. Wow. She seems so genuine. Now I've got some movies to add to my Netflix queue.

My birthday today will be quiet (I think). Nothing out of the ordinary planned. Tomorrow I will indulge a bit. My weight is up 1.5 pounds from yesterday due to my sampling at the bridal shower yesterday. When I guessed at the calories I still came in on plan but I was only guessing and I'm sure there was a lot of sodium involved. I'm hoping today on plan will get some of that off so I don't feel too guilty indulging tomorrow.

Dh hinted that something surprising may happen today for my birthday (he's in China), so I'm wondering if he sent something....

Hello to everyone else! Hope your day and week are wonderful.

Hang in there Dagmar!! Happy early birthday too....

ChrisMohr
03-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Two years ago I lost 35 pounds. Last year I gained 20 of it back. January of 2014: lost 6 pounds (yeah!) February 20-14: gained 5 back (boo hoo!) Time to focus and ask for support for March!

Warming trend this week in Denver means bicycling up Mt Carbon with Karen every day! Good luck to the rest of you with the ice storms. We got some of that a couple days ago and experienced a 100+ car fatal pileup on our major highway through town.

Happy anniversary, happy birthday, congrats, condolences and more to all my friends here! Chris

bargoo
03-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Good morning. I am working from home today since we were supposed to have some kind of nasty massive storm, but it didn't really materialize. Oh well, I already had my laptop home. :lol:

Michele, congrats on your employee of the year award!

Bargoo, you can get out of jury duty if you are physically incapable.

Oh, I know it is the people who don't have a valid reason that irritate me.

Shannon in ATL
03-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Happy anniversary, Jen. :)

bargoo
03-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Happy Anniversary, Jen.

Megan1982
03-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Happy Birthday Michele! :celebrate:

Happy Anniversary to you and DH Jen!

Chris, I agree, spring with its better weather seems like a good time to refocus on health and being more active. New Years with its cold and dreary weather doesn't make sense to me. I'm glad you've had some nice bike rides. Not glad about the pile-up. Wow.

Jessica, I hope the girls get more sleep today. From your stories it sounds like they are making progress but as soon as they get over one thing, there's something new every few days that causes them to fuss. I don't think you've mentioned their reflux lately, has that been better?

Bill, I hope you don't have to deal with any more snow. (I know, this may be a futile hope, but I do hope that for you.)

Since this morning Lowe's delivery service has become #1 over Home Depot in my book. I ordered my new dryer online yesterday. Delivered at 12:30 PM today, and when they called to tell me they were on their way, they were really on their way! I'm glad they could come today bc I would probably have had to reschedule for next week otherwise. We barely fall within both the Lowe's & HD delivery radius here (our few local places deliver, but can't touch Lowe's or HD's prices - and I like to shop local but can't afford an extra $500 for appliances), but HD only send a truck over 1x per week and you get the standard "anytime between 12-5" line with them. Does it mean you're a real adult when being able to do laundry conveniently in your own home is this exciting?

Shannon in ATL
03-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Happy birthday, Michele!

Megan - Lowe's delivery service is far superior to THD. This is because each Lowe's runs their own driver on staff and delivers out of the store. THD runs their delivery through a central scheduling hub, where a handful of drivers cover a large area.

traveling michele
03-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Megan-- Home Depot is half a mile away from us. The nearest Lowe's is at least 15 miles away but dh will most often go there. It is far superior with customer service and product selection IMHO.

Thanks all for the birthday wishes!

CherryPie99
03-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the anniversary wishes. And yes, we met when I was 16 and Marc was 22. My father was THRILLED - NOT!!!! But we have been together ever since. Never broke up (although we came close a couple of times).

Speaking of my Dad, he died when I was 18 and his birthday would have been tomorrow. I purposely chose March 3rd as our wedding anniversary so it would be next to his birthday but not on the actual date to remove some of the melancholy from the day. Now I can also mentally celebrate with you, Michele, so I'm happy about that.

Tomorrow they are calling for temps of -20 and we have a wind chill warning. I cannot believe how bad this winter has been.

As part of my anniversary gift, Marc got me this OUTRAGEOUS tutu to wear in races. We have the Shamrock Run on March 15 - hoping the weather will warm up so I can rock the tutu!!

Jen

CalCounter1003
03-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Happy Birthday Michele and Dagmar later this week! And Happy anniversary Jen! I'm sure your dad wasn't thrilled but it all worked out!

I feel bad for all of you in that cold including my DD. Shockingly she doesn't really complain but then again when she wanted to go to school up north I told her she would freeze so she probably doesn't want to say it to me. Even though I'm not an "I told you so type of person" although DH might disagree with that. ;)

paperclippy
03-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Happy anniversary Jen! I was with my DH for 7 years before we got married and we've been married for 6. When we met I had just turned 18 and he was almost 21 (my freshman year of college, he was a junior).

Babies were pretty well-behaved yesterday overall. DH was a grouch though. :lol: His hands got too dry (because he hates putting lotion on) and his skin split on the tip of his thumb, and even though the cut is the size of a papercut he has been moaning about how terrible it is and how he'll never heal and it's a giant disaster for two days. Plus when he has aches and pains he has no patience with the babies! Am I a bad wife for thinking he just needs to suck it up and get over this little cut already?

BillBlueEyes
03-04-2014, 08:42 AM
DH was a grouch though. :lol: His hands got too dry (because he hates putting lotion on) and his skin split on the tip of his thumb, and even though the cut is the size of a papercut he has been moaning about how terrible it is and how he'll never heal and it's a giant disaster for two days. Plus when he has aches and pains he has no patience with the babies! Am I a bad wife for thinking he just needs to suck it up and get over this little cut already?

Male Response:

Thumb cut is a major problem. Homo Sapiens need thumbs and incapacitation is detrimental to survival.

I just had this problem and was miserable. The solution that worked for me was to apply Cortizone to speed healing. I then covered with a despised band-aid (at DW's insistence because she says avoiding dirt also speeds healing). I was cured sufficiently to rejoin life in only two days.

I wish him well on his path to healing. And I send him my unbounded admiration for handling twins.

Megan1982
03-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Jen, I want to see pictures of you in this tutu at your run! I think you can layer it over warmer underlayers if needed. It's going to look silly anyway, that's the point, so who cares if it looks silly over 3 layers of running tights. :p

Jessica, nope, that doesn't make you a bad wife. I can relate. My BF will often complain about whatever ailment he has, and then say "but I'm not complaining."

Michele, I hope you're having fun on your day off. At least, after your tests you can have some fun!

I'm mentally preparing myself to make a case to my supervisor tomorrow... or Thursday... whenever I see her next (she's out today and I'm traveling for an all day meeting tomorrow). My parents have finally confirmed their spring break visit for mid-March. They hemmed and hawed bc they weren't sure what they would do with my mom's back being hurt, and I kept asking them what dates they might be here and they put me off. I want to take off from work while they're here and I anticipate my supervisor will be upset I'm missing a project day. But I'm going to calmly ask for the days off and point out that I never ask for days off, and that I have too much time saved, and I rarely get to see my family. There is always some project going on.

I'm also very excited I'll see them soon! Especially since we spent so little time together over Christmas vacation. Their dog, my "brother" is an old man at 13 so I'm glad he's coming too. He loves the beach.

ChrisMohr
03-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Good luck Megan with your supervisor! And happy anniversary all. I'm always amazed when teenagers find the loves of their lives. I married at 21 to the wrong person; she's still good friends of me and my wife Karen but as a couple we were a total misfit! So I went through the pain of a divorce and remarriage, and now we've been happily married over 30 years.

Winter's fading here and I sure hope spring comes soon to the rest of us!

Day 1 of my refocusing went well. On to Day Two!

saef
03-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Hi to everybody. I'm drinking my fourth cup of coffee at my desk at home, bundled up in fleece, braced for my apartment building shutting the heat off all day long to facilitate much-needed work on our 75-year-old boiler & steam heating system, despite temperatures in the 20s. For March, that's bitterly cold. I feel like winter won the fight this year, as it has utterly defeated me. I am thinking less of losing weight than of my mental health and staying afloat and out of a relapse into long fended-off depression.

Everybody else, hang in there. I can relate how accumulating minor tribulations & annoyances can feel magnified into life-or-death crises.

traveling michele
03-04-2014, 10:57 AM
I'm feeling guilty moaning about my rainy days here and mildly cold temps. It's nothing compared to what you all are experiencing.

I'm hoping that two bikram yoga classes today (one this morning and one this afternoon) will offset the indulgences of food today. I doubt it though. My weight is up a few pounds from the low I saw a few days ago but still ok as long as it doesn't spike up more. I was planning on having a solitary lunch out but one of my parent volunteers (she has become a friend) is going to meet me and possibly another friend too.

alinnell
03-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Good morning!

Tonight is Bogey's last beginner obedience class and I have to say I'm quite impressed by him. I've taken two other dogs to obedience class and have never had a dog master "down" or even "stay" and yet he seems to know both. I've been working with him on boundaries--both with the newly installed pet gate and the back door. I have yet to try the front door but will need to address that one soon.

Meanwhile I was reading Yelp reviews on the dog boot camp that I contacted a week or so ago. All (granted there were only five) were pretty negative. So I did another Google search and found a trainer in the same area but who had wonderful Yelp reviews. I sent in a contact form and he called me within 10 minutes. He's coming to my house Friday morning to evaluate Bogey. Granted his eval costs $40, but he's coming to me rather than my driving 1.5 hours to this other place for a free eval. If it works out with him I'll cancel the other eval.

And as for the cats, Bogey alerts when he sees or hears them but is less and less reactive. Several times I've had a cat walk between him and me and he barely takes his eyes off of me. I'm feeling confident that with some extra training I can have him off leash inside and not worry about the cats (although the cats may take a while longer to "come around").

I have a few busy weeks ahead. This weekend I have two rounds of golf and dinner out with my BFF who is in town for the BNP Paribas Open (tennis tournament). Next week my BIL and SIL are coming and are staying at my house. That Sunday is the day before my birthday so my kids will come home for dinner as they haven't seen their aunt and uncle for years. I'm making a cake. Ugh. I'll just have a small piece. I haven't decided what to do for dinner (maybe I should make them take me out! LOL).

Mudpie
03-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Just finished walk 7 of 8 dogwalks today (the last will be with my sit dogs again at 8 p.m. before we call it a night). It has just started snowing. It's been a long day. Since DH is at class tonite I had to come home to feed/medicate my cats. Mudpie had barfed all down the hall for me. At least it hadn't stained the hardwood - the coating on it is a good one based on her "torture testing" of it.

And there was another little surprise under my desk (from her other end). SIGH. She lets me know she doesn't appreciate my being away. DH apparently doesn't provided nearly the level of service :queen: for her that I do. I am a GOOD minion. :lol3:

I :love: :love: :love: my slow cooker. Came over here this morning and threw some turkey drums, fennel, onion, and a cup of stock into the cooker and, 7 hours later, dinner is served! Thank goodness!

Dagmar :hungry: :brr: :tired:

CalCounter1003
03-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Saef
That's crazy that they have to turn off the heat in that weather. Next year you should plan a trip south in late Feb or March! My DH used to get SAD (I think that's the name of it) when we lived in DC and it could definitely spin out of control. I worry about my DD up there with her first really brutal winter. Her first two years it wasn't bad at all, after I spent a fortune on winter clothes!

Dagmar, that's terrible about coming home to that mess! I've come home to my house full of my dog having it come out of both ends if he got into something. Not fun. And then the poor thing is so ashamed he doesn't want to come out and celebrate my arrival!

Alinnel, so Bogey is a rescue? That's great that he is doing so well in training. Our rescue didn't do well at all in training. My son has had him to three different trainers and he finally just passed the good citizen training but we think the lady was just being nice.

We had a Mardi Gras lunch at school today, so I had a big piece of King Cake. It's never as good as it seems like it will be. Oh well it was much more fun enjoying it this year than last year when I was on a gaining spree! Now onto Lent.

alinnell
03-04-2014, 07:52 PM
CalCounter, yes Bogey is a rescue but I think he'd been taught a little before because he's learning it all so darn fast. Either that or he is just a smart dog. The obedience trainer thinks he's smart, anyway. I'd like for him to get his CGC certificate. I'm envious of those who have it but there are a couple tests that at this point he wouldn't pass.

paperclippy
03-05-2014, 07:47 AM
I bought some liquid bandage for DH's thumb and it seems to be helping, so hooray for that! On the other hand, A&C had a disaster day yesterday. DH had fed them yogurt again in the morning so I'm thinking that they're just not ready to reintroduce dairy again. It's such a struggle because they don't have an allergy, just a sensitivity, and no obvious signs. No rashes, no unusual poop, nothing like that -- they just get fussy and cry for no apparent reason. I don't know if it's gas or reflux or what, although we haven't upped their reflux medication in a long time because we were hoping we could get them off of it.

In any case yesterday they were unhappy. C took a good long nap #1 but A was up and down the whole time, then A took a 30 minute nap #2 and C didn't sleep AT ALL. :fr: She finally passed out in the stroller at 4pm for 20 minutes. Poor DH didn't get any free time all day. Once daylight savings happens this weekend I think we are going to try to put them on a clock schedule instead of basing nap times off their wake up times.

I think we're all going a bit stir crazy with this long and nasty winter. I need to remember to take Carter for walks now that the temps are back up around freezing. I did at least toss his tennis ball for him a bit last night so that's something, though I feel bad that I don't play with him nearly enough anymore.

Mudpie
03-05-2014, 09:04 AM
The wireless internet is down at my dogsit. Tried a few things to reboot but nothing is working. I know lots of people are now doing things on their smartphones but some of us still need the computer etc. I was forced to buy a basic cell phone as more and more people are opting out of land phone lines but i have no need and can't really afford a smart phone.

Most of my dogsit clients DO have a secure internet connection. So frustrating when there isn't one. I'm at that point where I really really want for this hideous winter to be over and that is spilling over on to the sit. Any more obstacles and I will get really cranky. :crazy:

saef
03-05-2014, 09:07 AM
The good news: What I thought was depression was actually sluggishness as a result of my running a fever. What I thought was a strange post-workout soreness was nerves thrumming with hurt. Because yesterday when I got an unfamiliar glimpse of my backside (how many of you twist about to look at your butt and back all the time?) I saw an enormous rash, as though a bear paw had swiped across my body and scraped me and left welts and bumps. A nurse at the gym in the locker room said: "Did you have chickenpox when you were a kid? I think you've got shingles. Go see your doctor."

Well, that explains some things. I've taken some Oxycodone left over from dental work, as I woke up in the night hurting. Going to see the doctor today. Either the relief of figuring out something was physically wrong, rather than mentally wrong, or the sweetness of the Oxycodone has left me feeling far better than I have for four or five days now.

Anyone here know anything about shingles? Oh, and get your shingles vaccination. I was too young to get one, or so my doctor thought.

bargoo
03-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Didn't know there was a shingles vaccination.I know that if you had chicken pox you are prone to have shingles.

alinnell
03-05-2014, 10:18 AM
saef~your doctor can give you a prescription for something that will help get rid of the shingles faster than if left alone. Shingles can be very painful. Shingles generally attacks around the midsection (like yours) or your head. My son, as a baby, had an extremely mild case of chicken pox. He was just a baby and he had maybe 3 lesions. Then at about age 2 he got shingles. His was on his head--just half his head. He looked like he'd fallen off his tricycle and had road rash. He still has some scars from it. Shingles is usually worse for people who are immunocompromised (did I spell that right?).

I thought last night was Bogey's last night of obedience class. Apparently I was off a week and his last class is next Tuesday where he'll graduate. They put little caps on the dogs heads and take photos for Facebook! LOL

bargoo
03-05-2014, 10:44 AM
I took my dog to obedience class, I promise you he did not appreciate the graduation ceremony lf he could talk he would have been saying get that thing off my head.

CherryPie99
03-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Allison! Must see pic of Bogey in his hat!!!! I am so proud of him from afar. Isn't that silly? It sounds like he has done fantastic!! With your guidance, of course!

I had no idea shingles could strike little children!

Saef I HOPE that's not what you have! My mother - who took like 2 sick days in her working life - had shingles a few hyears ago and said that it was the most painful thing she ever dealt with! Let us know what the doc says!!

Jen

alinnell
03-05-2014, 12:05 PM
I'll be sure to share the pictures, Jen!

I had an odd thing happen last week. I was sitting at my desk either Monday or Tuesday and realized that my right ankle hurt. I reached down to massage it and realized it really hurt when I touched it. Upon inspection I saw that it was very swollen. After a few days the swelling started to go down but it became terribly bruised under where it had been swollen. It never hurt to walk on it and I cannot figure out how I managed to hurt it. Then yesterday morning I woke to it being extremely stiff. Then this morning, still stiff, I was getting really, really odd muscle spasms in my thigh. I wonder if they could be related? The spasms were so bad that they woke me from my sleep and I had to massage my thigh to relieve the pain. The sprain was on the inside of my right ankle and the spasms were on the outside of my thigh--just above my knee. Very weird (but then so was the dream it woke me from--something about Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen).

JayEll
03-05-2014, 12:36 PM
saef, sorry to hear about the shingles. I have had outbreaks twice. Both times they were related to stress. :chin:

The vaccine is no guarantee that you won't get shingles again. It simply reduces the risk by half. Shingles can be so painful that for some, any reduction sounds good. For others, the odds aren't good enough.

bargoo, some people shouldn't get the vaccination, such as those who have undergone chemo or radiation therapy.

traveling michele
03-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Allison-- I'm no expert but I would call your doctor. Maybe a blood clot??

Saef-- I hope you get some relief and if it is shingles that your case isn't severe. My friend had shingles when she was under 40...

CalCounter1003
03-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Saef - I never heard of someone so young getting shingles either (not your age or a two year old). I asked for the vaccine once and Doc said I was too young. (I'm 52). I hope you get relief soon, my grandmother had it and she also said it was the most painful thing she has ever had and she went through a lot. Get better!!! :hug:

Allison - I agree with Michele get to doctor.

Dagmar - sorry that sounds so frustrating. Not sure if you bring your laptop over to their house but you could try connecting straight to their modem - it could be their router. Not that you want to go snooping in their equipment! But if it is all just out there in the open, find the wire that goes from the modem to the router and disconnect it from the router and plug that into your laptop. If you refresh a website and it still doesn't work, it's probably their service, not just their wifi. Sorry if this doesn't make sense - I'm a Comp Sci person -- and most of the time when I talk like this people just stare at me with a glazed look.

Sharon

silverbirch
03-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Sorry you may have shingles, saef. When are you seeing the doc?

My impression is also that an onset of shingles is associated with stress.

Shingles comes from the Latin word for girdle, cingulum, as it often appears around the waist or middle section. (Also elsewhere, too.) Cinch comes from this root and, I suppose, ceinture (French for belt).

Let us know how things develop. :hug: And take sick leave!

Shannon in ATL
03-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Saef - I know several people in our age bracket who have gotten shingles, and all were told that they were too young for the vaccine. I make my doctor give me one now. I hope that you feel better soon - definitely go to the doctor.

Mudpie
03-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Saef - I never heard of someone so young getting shingles either (not your age or a two year old). I asked for the vaccine once and Doc said I was too young. (I'm 52). I hope you get relief soon, my grandmother had it and she also said it was the most painful thing she has ever had and she went through a lot. Get better!!! :hug:

Allison - I agree with Michele get to doctor.

Dagmar - sorry that sounds so frustrating. Not sure if you bring your laptop over to their house but you could try connecting straight to their modem - it could be their router. Not that you want to go snooping in their equipment! But if it is all just out there in the open, find the wire that goes from the modem to the router and disconnect it from the router and plug that into your laptop. If you refresh a website and it still doesn't work, it's probably their service, not just their wifi. Sorry if this doesn't make sense - I'm a Comp Sci person -- and most of the time when I talk like this people just stare at me with a glazed look.

Sharon

Thanks Sharon! I'll show this post to my hubby - he's a bit more technical than I am. It's so odd - I got on the network just fine Monday night and Tuesday morning and now the network isn't even showing up in the list of available ones. ARRRRGH!

Saef My cousin's grandmother had shingles and it was agonizing for her. She also suffered from severe migraines and said they are "nothing" compared to the pain of the shingles. I hope yours don't get to that point.

paperclippy
03-06-2014, 07:49 AM
Dagmar, if connecting directly to the modem doesn't work on the first attempt try unplugging the power cable to the modem, waiting 30 seconds, and plugging it back in. Good luck!

Sharon, :wave: hello to a fellow woman in CS! (I am a software developer.)

Allison, I hope if you go to the doc it's nothing, but I would also worry about a blood clot! Do let us know how you're doing.

Babies had a MUCH better day yesterday. Two good naps, no causeless screaming, and they almost slept through the night without intervention. C slept through as usual, A needed only 1 intervention, but she might have been okay without it -- DH leaped out of bed on autopilot as soon as she started crying before I could even switch on the video monitor to see what was up, and this morning he tells me he has no memory of getting up and going into the nursery at all.

Today DH is going to take the girls to baby storytime at the library. I am crossing my fingers that it goes okay! This is their first time going to an organized event. DH had bad dreams last night because he was having anxiety about taking them to the library (nightmares of the variety of lots of people trying to get to the stroller and touch the babies; they still have never really been sick and I think we both have a big fear of germs for them!).

alinnell
03-06-2014, 09:21 AM
I didn't go to the doctor. This morning the stiffness is almost nil and I didn't experience any of the weird thigh muscle contractions. I'm pretty sure it's nothing. The bruising is almost all gone, too.

Glad your girls are sleeping better, Jessica. And I'm the type that would have dreams about taking them on their first outing, too. I often have worries like that and they almost always end up in my dreams.

Dagmar~here's hoping the wifi works for you today.

saef~how are you feeling today? Have you seen the doctor yet?

Mudpie
03-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Well we tried everything last night but no wifi. DH even took down the specs for the modem at the house, came home, and looked it up on the net. Apparently it's an older one and lots of people have reported problems with it. I think I am stuck with coming home to access the net until Tuesday so probably won't be posting much.

Dagmar :(

saef
03-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Thanks, all, for sharing accounts of people younger than 60 getting shingles. I couldn't get a doctor appointment yesterday -- he was on hospital duty all day. I'm seeing him this afternoon, and not a moment too soon. I am still itching worse than anything I've ever experienced, a prickly heat with twinges in my muscles underneath, since I stopped the Oxycodone because taking it felt just too good, and also, it constipated me and was making my stomach bloat up till my pants felt tight in the waist -- a feeling that I haven't had in ages. It made me feel like I was gaining weight by the minute.

It does hurt, yeah, but I don't feel like I'm going to die. Then again, my dentist has told me I've got a high tolerance for pain.

traveling michele
03-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Yuck Saef but glad you can tolerate it until you see the doctor. I know that I have a very high tolerance for pain which makes things tricky. Sometimes I let things go way too long before I address them. Then when you do finally go to the doctor you have to let them know that you really are in pain....

paperclippy
03-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Saef, I hope you can get some relief soon! I've never had shingles and I barely remember chicken pox (had it when I was 5) but after A&C were born I got post-partum PUPPS. It was a huge rash and it itched and hurt so badly that I basically put ice packs on my skin to numb it.

DH reports that the girls had fun at the library! I'm looking forward to hearing more details when I get home tonight. Side note that is kind of funny and unfortunate at the same time -- the girls have suddenly become very interested in the moles on my chest and neck. Interested in attempting to pluck them off my skin, anyway. Whenever I pick one of them up out comes a tiny finger to go scratch scratch scratch at my moles! Last night C scratched me until it bled. :fr: I've starting grabbing their hand and saying, "Don't do that, that hurts mommy" when they start but as soon as I let go they are right back scratching again. Since they are too young to understand "no" I'm not really sure that there's anything to do other than consider putting bandaids over all my moles! Anyway I just thought it was kind of funny and you would get a laugh at the mental image of babies trying to scratch off mommy's moles. ;)

saef
03-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Okay, so I've been to the doctor, who was impressed by the luridness and extent of the rash when I lowered my pants to show him. (Yeah, I had to moon my doctor, basically. An hour-long wait and then I mooned him and he asked a few questions. Done and done.) I've got an antiviral medication and three expensive tubes of ointment with steroids in it. We'll see what that does.

Babies are like curious little animals, aren't they? I never wanted one, but I still think they're interesting, at least as interesting as all of the dogs that inhabit this thread.

Mudpie
03-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Okay, so I've been to the doctor, who was impressed by the luridness and extent of the rash when I lowered my pants to show him. (Yeah, I had to moon my doctor, basically. An hour-long wait and then I mooned him and he asked a few questions. Done and done.) I've got an antiviral medication and three expensive tubes of ointment with steroids in it. We'll see what that does.

Babies are like curious little animals, aren't they? I never wanted one, but I still think they're interesting, at least as interesting as all of the dogs that inhabit this thread.

:rofl: re your comment about babies and dogs. Glad YOU said it. How about it Jessica - are the girls more interesting than Carter or is it about the same? My money is on the girls.

Dagmar :lol3:

Arctic Mama
03-07-2014, 10:02 AM

Shingles is so awfully and painful. It was hard enough to deal with as a healthy adult, my heart just goes out to all the elderly who deal with flare ups. I had some neuropathy leftover from the infection for a few weeks after it was mostly resolved.

My solution for grabbing babies is either flicking their hand or screeching. It doesn't hurt but startles them enough that they pause. When the kiddos are actually looking at my face I'll give a firm 'no' and rinse and repeat that cycle a few times. Even with my most stubborn baby it's only taking a few days of consistent and firm verbal correction for them to get the idea. If only that worked so well on the preschooler and grade schoolers!

Shannon in ATL
03-07-2014, 10:47 AM
We flicked DSS when he grabbed things he wasn't supposed to grab, like Taryl is worked pretty well after a couple of day.

ChrisMohr
03-09-2014, 10:41 AM
My Dad's shingles was agonizing, so my doctor gave me a shingles vaccine a month before my 60th birthday. She says it's good for life now.

I stayed focused pretty well this past week but had three public all-you-can-eat events. Ate more than I would have wanted, but am still maintaining at least. On to kext week!

I actually love babies and kids, in an Uncle kind of way. They love me too. We were never able to have a child and that was OK by us. I get to have all the fun but never have to do hardly any disciplining. And we love our cat!

CalCounter1003
03-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Jessica, I started as a software engineer but then I left that job to teach. Been teaching 15 years. Started doing it because I had to travel quite a bit and wanted to be off when my kids were off, and I wanted to teach! So I teach Java mainly and animation, and of course it changes each year. I thought when my kids got out of HS I might go back to working as a programmer but I love having summers off. I only teach 3-4 classes and I do all kinds do database/software for the school too, so it's a perfect fit. I have the best students too!

Saef, wow you must have a high pain tolerance. Get better soon!

I hate this spring forward day. Especially tomorrow when I get up at 4:30 to exercise which will really be 3:30! Oh well, at least it will be light later. In Florida it already is staying light till at least seven so now it will be eight.

alinnell
03-09-2014, 09:16 PM
I wonder what my son will do when he graduates. He's in Computer Science--first year. His best friend, who is arguably better in computer than he is, was in CS and after his first quarter in school changed to Political Science. He wants to be an ambassador to Iran (he's of Iranian descent). While a nice thing to aspire to, there are only a very SMALL amount of people who get that kind of job. Meanwhile, he has a job doing IT work at UCLA. My son is trying to get a job doing IT at UCIrvine.

I found an injured hummingbird in my back yard this afternoon. I made it some sugar water and moved it from the lawn to my counter near my grill so it's safe from ground predators. I feel so bad. It's chirping off and on like it's trying to get help. His tail looks mangled (I sincerely hope it wasn't from one of my dogs although they had no idea he was there on the lawn until I started paying attention to it). I think he can't fly--his tail is like gone. So sad.

I met with a dog trainer on Friday and was stupendiously amazed at what he did with Bogey in just a few moves. I signed him on and our first lesson is this Friday and I can't wait. Even with the short "lesson" Bogey is 100% sitting for his dinner and will allow Louie cat to weave within his legs. I am stupefied. I think this dog will be amazing in a week or so!!!!

neurodoc
03-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Wow Allison. Do you have free-lance dog trainers where you live? How did you find this one? I'm pretty upset. Our adopted cock-a-poo, who's lived with us for 15 months now and had seemingly stopped most of his resource-guarding and neurotic behavior, bit my oldest DS (15) hard enough to draw blood last week while I was away on vacation. Apparently, DS did nothing more to provoke him than approach quickly and reach out to pet him while the dog was lying on one of "his" couches in the living room. Every time I think he's finally getting over his neurotic anxiety behaviors, something happens. DS is now afraid to go near him/pick him up. In addition, Loki has started barking at any sign of commotion again, and (at least briefly) at anyone who walks through the front door, including family members. I really have to question my sanity at bringing a dog into our already-complicated and stressful lives.

bargoo
03-10-2014, 08:51 AM
saef, sorry to hear about the shingles. I have had outbreaks twice. Both times they were related to stress. :chin:

The vaccine is no guarantee that you won't get shingles again. It simply reduces the risk by half. Shingles can be so painful that for some, any reduction sounds good. For others, the odds aren't good enough.

bargoo, some people shouldn't get the vaccination, such as those who have undergone chemo or radiation therapy.

Thanks for the info, I have had both and am in chemo now.

ChrisMohr
03-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Hi all, I'm sorry to report that I am not really feeling in control of my weight. I keep trying and falling off the wagon, with gradual weight creep really adding up. I think I'm going to poke around the forum here and see if there is a thread that directly addresses this! I'll keep dropping by with my old friends here tho. Good luck and best wishes to all.

Mudpie
03-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Hi all, I'm sorry to report that I am not really feeling in control of my weight. I keep trying and falling off the wagon, with gradual weight creep really adding up. I think I'm going to poke around the forum here and see if there is a thread that directly addresses this! I'll keep dropping by with my old friends here tho. Good luck and best wishes to all.

Good luck Chris. Please do come and visit whenever you want.

Dagmar :wave: