General Diet Plans and Questions - Fiber Counting?

Pages : 1 [2]

View Full Version : Fiber Counting?

Pattience
04-10-2014, 11:20 PM
I never heard that about cancer feeding on sugar. I'd be surprised about it. I know that cancer cells devour other cells and make them become cancerous.

I'd take a general comment about cancer feeding on sugar with a grain of salt until i got the same info from a reputable source.

Steelslady
04-11-2014, 01:12 AM
Ladies- so sorry- I had a long day- I owe you all a few replies, please know that I am reading your posts and enjoying them, just so dar gone tired to respond. I will over the weekend- some awesome stuff you ladies all brought up the last few days- can't wait to reply to them all- I will, I promise!

Pattience- PLEASE stay safe- I hope that cyclone misses you completely- how scary!

Trish- thanks for the awesome information! I notice you're ticker going down, you lost more weight, didn't you? :D

ALEKA!!!!!!!! So happy you are still with us! I hope everything is ok with your hubby's family. Don't worry if you have to change diets- we're doing that in here daily, lol! I am still doing high fiber, but grain free to help break this plateau- it came early for me- usually I lose 30-35 pounds before hitting on, this one hit at 25, ggrrrrrrrrrr. I will go back to grains when I stall out on Paleo. :rofl: I'll just go back and forth til the weight comes off. So, if you have to change your diet around, do so and keep posting in here with us- we still love you. :hug: Oh, and the weather was GORGEOUS today- we were at my daughter's track and field meet for four hours- she didn't get to do any fielding due to the wet ground, but she ran two races, and of course, one of them was the last one. So, I walked around a lot to get some exercise- I wish I had brought my pedometer. Usually she's in one event after another with running, shot put, discus, and javelin- we're usually chasing her all over the place, going from event to event, cheering her on. I miss my son doing this- he graduated last year, and came with us today to cheer his sister on- they kids on the team were so happy to see him again. He, too, was a fielder- seems strange not to see him in uniform now. :(

Ok, I babbled enough. Have a fabulous night all, and I will catch up soon with everyone individually. You ladies are the best! :hug:

Pattience
04-11-2014, 03:30 AM
I don't mind if you don't have time to answer. Don't feel you must. I had to quit one thread because i would have to spend 30 minutes replying to everyone. I felt it was too hard so i told them i had to abandon ship.

I'd rather you stay with us than feel you have to respond to everything we say.

Just keep on reporting your progress or whatever as the needs takes you.

Interesting to read your strategy. I am sure its a good idea to swap and change from time to time. It would help avoid boredom too.

Today i am having a wretched chicken from the supermarket. it is so salty and fatty but still quite yummy for all that. Unfortunately i'm noticing it is not doing the satiety thing as well as i would have expected. I think it could be or musts be because its a poor quality chicken that's been pumped full of water and hormones and other crap things. Poor little chicken. Just the sort of thing i try to avoid because i know its had a shocking life.

Speaking of poultry i had to take one of my ducks to the vets this morning and she is staying there over night. Yesterday a goanna http://museumvictoria.com.au/pages/12760/imagegallery/treegoanna-specimen.jpg took a big piece out of her thigh. I didn't realise how bad it was until this morning when i saw her limping badly. So i took her to the vet who found there were already maggots in it. So poor luv, she is going to recuperate in stress free comfort and hopefully the 50 50 chance the vet gave her will go in our favour.

So the rain hasn't really started yet. Its due to strike the coast about 10 pm but a couple of hundred kilometres north of us here. Still we expect a lot of rain and a fair bit of wind. But it will be around for a few days. Luckily i do not have to worry about the storm surge where i live.

H ave good evening all. And if you don't here from me for a day or two its only because the power is out.

Pattience
04-11-2014, 03:32 AM
Oh by the way i started on the gary taubes book, good calorie, bad calorie and i can tell already that its going to be better than you average diet type book. That doesn't mean i will agree with him but he writes well and will have some interesting research to share. Such a book will take me a while to read though.

aleka
04-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Pattygirl, thank you for posting what you eat. Your menu sounds good and you're doing really well. That is what I had in mind to do. I won't give up bread entirely, but only eat it when I go out. My favorite breakfast is scrambled eggs, 2 slices of bacon, & slices of tomato. I find the tomato adds a little something. I too read somewhere about cancer cells feeding on sugar.

Pattience, I hope the cyclone stays away from you. When DH & I lived in FL we had a few close calls with hurricanes, but they missed us and turned out to be tropical storms.

Steelslady, it sounds like you had fun cheering on your daughter. Glad that your son was able to be there too. I think that's a great idea about changing things up so that it tricks your body. Let us know how you like Paleo.

DH & I walked in the mall yesterday, but didn't walk today. I did something to my left knee. I'm going to baby it for a couple of days and hopefully by Mon. it's better so I can walk. I miss it when we don't go. We see the same people just about everyday. Some of them can barely walk, but they're there....God love them!

Hope you're having a good Friday.

Pattience
04-14-2014, 04:26 AM
I'm back! I missed you all.

We've had the power out for a few days and the phone as well. The cyclone was a bit of a fizzier. It was quite a small system so when it passed by us, it wasn't too bad. HOwever one of our trees came down. And the power and phones are out all the countryside. Some places where the cyclone was more intense, because they are quite remote will be out of power for about a month it was said. Poor things.

Anyway Not being able to diarise my food made it tricky. And because of the book i was reading (The don't go hungry diet), i decided to eat a bit more anyway - at least eat when i got hungry and not worry too much about it. And as the writer predicted, it didn't have any negative impact on the my weight.

I can't go into it in any detail right now but hopefully i will do a post on it before too long. But she her book is about the famine reaction, the fat brake and leptin hormone which regulates our appetites and is one of the hormones causes our metabolism to either speed up or slow down depending on whether our bodies are in famine reaction mode or experience the fat brake.

As she's a legitimate scientist who not only conducted research on this hormone and as she also had her own weight issues to deal with, i gave her a fair bit of credit for what she has to say. In fact what she has to say, fits with other info on these topics i've read.

the book is easy to read and although i probably wouldn't follow it to the letter, i am definitely taking on board some of the stuff she recommends. But who knows by the end of the book i might be more committed than i am right now. I suppose my current critical feeling is that she doesn't really appear to tackle some of the other topics that i think might also be relevant and just focus on that triangle of famine reaction, fat brake and leptin hormone. Although she does talk about exercise later on too and no doubt a lot else. So far what i've read has been fairly easy to read and understand though she has indicated she will go into more depth later in the book.

Meanwhile i'm also still reading gary taubes book on good calorie bad calorie. Its the style of writing and exploration of a topic that i really like so i hope i get to the end of this book. Of course the subject matter ranges far beyond how to lose weight. Its got a historical perspective and is really quite interesting. In his introduction, i found him convincing in his assertion to be trying to present an unbiased, and accurate account of things so i am also now keen to look at criticisms of his book. I tend to trust this style of writing. And for me to know if he was being deliberately misleading, it would be impossible to know because i can't go and check up on the material he presents. He's clearly done a great deal of research into historical records.

Most what i'm reading about at this point is his argument that mainstream position taken by medical authorities on cholesterol and saturated fats has always been a flawed argument. He's making a fair case of it too. So that's why i'm interested to see what his critics say. And for the most part, i don't really have an issue with that position on cholesterol because i've already been hearing that for years. And while i've been fairly suspicious of fats lately i've started to relax my position on it, though i was never an adherent of low fat dairy. I just knew that wasn't a solution as it ruined the food and bad tasting food can't be what we are meant to eat for good health, especially when it means extracting parts of a whole food.

So yeah back to the grind now.

I hope you are all doing well.

Pattience
04-14-2014, 04:30 AM
Mind you, i'm having quite a bit protein day.

Breakfast was one fried egg on one wholegrain fried bread (our toaster was out so i had to fry it in butter), with a piece of smoked salmon because i thought i should eat it up. And some fried cherry tomatoes.

Lunch was 1 cup yoghurt with 1 cup stewed apple, followed by a vegemite sandwich on whole grain bread with butter.

I had grapes on my way home from work

And tonight i'm cooking spaghetti bologneses which i' haven't had for a long long time.

I will have 100g of spaghetti and about 1/2 cup of meat sauce i suppose with a bit of parmesan on top. My bolognese was made iwht lean steak mince, garlic, onion, olive oil, can of diced tomatoes and tomato puree with a pinch of sugar to take the acid out. I love bolognese sauce. I don't think i've got any salad vegies in the fridge but i i can find some i might have some too.

Back to more vegies tomorrow now that the power is on again.

Steelslady
04-22-2014, 01:12 AM
Pattience- I am so happy you survived that cyclone and are ok- that had to be scary! Glad you have your power back on again, too. A couple of years ago, we went through several storms where we lost power for several days at a time- it spurned me into action, and I got a wood stove (for heat) and a generator. So glad we did, because the next storm, to which it was freezing outside, we lost the power for three days. At least we were warm and could make coffee, lol!

Trish- how are you doing? Are you still following the New Atkins plan? How are your blood sugars doing?

Aleka- how are you doing? The weather is finally gorgeous here in NH, but the blasted allergies have started, ggggggrrrrrrrr!!!!!! Still, it sure is nice to have some warm weather for a change, and no snow on the ground!

We took out a membership at that hotel for the pool- so glad we don't have to pay anymore now, just sign in. Well worth the money, it will pay for itself- even if just my sister and I use it three times a week, it will pay for itself in three months time. The bonus is that the rest of the family can use it as well- much better than paying $7.00 per person per 24 hour period! It has a hot tub and a sauna- what more could we want? :D

I'm kind of ruing the day that I agreed to do Paleo. It is A LOT of cooking. I love to cook, but man, all this experimenting and getting this plan just right takes up a lot of time. I feel like I am living in my kitchen. I did break my stall, lost three pounds last week, so I'm relieved that the lack of exercise (thanks to all the cooking and experimenting in the kitchen) didn't affect me too bad. I miss exercising, though- it's good for my lungs, especially during allergy season.

I found ways to make grain free waffles and cookies taste spectacular. On Easter, I made chocolate chip grain free cookies and peanut butter grain free cookies- my best friends loved the peanut butter cookies and took a bag home with her. Of course, she took MY favorite cookies! :rofl: I could care less about the chocolate chip, but that is my daughter's favorite, so I am sure I'd have to make another batch for her, lol. The waffles are great, too, and the good thing is I can make a few batches up for breakfast- my daughter's with the 60% cocoa chocolate chips, and tomorrow, I am going to make some with blueberries for me. At least we get to eat melted butter and pure maple syrup on them and have a side of bacon. We need some guilty pleasures, and let's be honest, eggs and bacon/sausage/ham on the side everyday would get very boring.

I also have a minute muffin (several variations of this, from cinnamon bun flavor to a garlic bread kind) and a chocolate mug cake recipe that is good. I sure do miss eating my high fiber bread and English muffins, though. It was so much easier to pack a lunch and go without having to cook every darn thing like the Paleo diet. It is a decent diet, but not one that my busy lifestyle can sustain.

I also miss eating corn, peas, string beans and legumes as well as peanuts (they're considered a legume). I had some string beans for Easter and made my peanut butter grain free cookies. That's another reason why I can't stick to Paleo for too much longer- those foods were staples in my diet, and I miss them all very much. I also had corn on the cob on Easter, another no no. We miss tacos, too. Oh, well, another month won't kill us, but I will probably still sneak in some peanut butter on an apple here and there. ;)

Anyhow, I miss chatting with you ladies and hope you are all doing great. I will try to make it on here more often- seriously, though, the amount of cooking is just ridiculous, but I am getting the hang of it and perfected some recipes that we enjoy. By the time I get a collection of palatable recipes, it will be time to switch back to high fiber again (I am still eating high fiber, though- flax seed meal and coconut flour is loaded with fiber!). :lol:

Have a great day, ladies! I hope you are all doing very well! Tell us about your Easter! Mine was great- lots of cooking again, but we had a blast, it went by ttttttttttttooooooooooo fast.

Steelslady
04-22-2014, 01:36 AM
Oh, I forgot to add, I am getting a food dehydrator this week when hubby gets paid. I'll be able to make teriyaki beef jerky and other meats as well as grain free granola. I like that you can set it and go about your day without having to stay in the kitchen and watch it cook for several hours, like the granola. That granola took me over twelve hours to cook in the oven- it is delicious, and I made a double batch of it, to which we still have a decent amount left, but wow, talk about being chained to the kitchen.

Also, I find that I have to "re-cook" the cookies after a day or two, to get rid of the moisture from the almond flour. I'm going to see if the dehydrator might help keep them more crisp.

We all love beef, chicken, and turkey jerky, it comes out so good and tender, makes the store version taste like crap after you've had homemade jerky. So, even if we don't continue with the Paleo diet, we'll still use that to make for hiking and camping foods. Win win for us. :D

Pattience
04-22-2014, 04:42 PM
HI Steel

Our thread has gone dead quiet so i'm really glad you came back.

If the paleo is so difficult, why bother with it. I was looking for a paleo book at the library last time i went but they were all out. Its the current fad diet.

But anyway, yes almond meal is super delicious stuff and peanuts are a legume and so also i believe are cashews. I only read that the other day and haven't checked the facts.

Yes at least when the power was out, we had gas and it wasn't cold. Its tropical here. In fact one night was really hot and without the fans it was hard to get to sleep especially because of the mosquitos. I don't know why but i didn't even think to light a coil.

my eating is going great. I had a few days where i wanted to eat more often. At first i thought it was a famine reaction but no i'm thinking maybe it was just because i procrastinating about my sewing and this i think could cause stress and or lower my seratonin levels. Of course i don't know what's going on physiologically at all, just guessing but now my appetite is good again.

Though i have to admit, i'm not yet ready to start cutting back and tightly controlling calories again just yet. I'm just happy to stabilise here for a while.

The funny think i just thought of is that paleo people wouldn't have eaten waffles and cookies lol. Maybe you are working too hard or pushing the limits of the diet and that's why you are struggling with it. But i think that does expose a potential other shortcoming. Its boring.

That said, in days gone by people had plenty of time for preparing food and they used to do it.

I'm still loving my bean salad. We all have been persuaded that eating protein satisfies. And recently i read that eating fat helps turn off our want more button. But i also am finding that eating a lot of vegies does it too. If i go without vegies for a day, i start to notice an increase in my appetite. I think. Bodies are so mysterious.

oh btw, love the sound of your pool fun.

Liliann
04-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Hello All,

Gosh...Sorry of my for my late reply..I noticed from reading an old post and since my last post back in late march...due of a stomach flu..Things in my household went downhill for my disabled sister,which she had it bad that we had to call the ambulance..which that was tough, they would not take her to the hospital she wanted to go and ended up on a college hospital that Since March 25th, it was pure ****..sorry for my english...That hospital done poorly and sad to say, she passed away on April 8th..Me and my family was shocked and anger on why they done to her,,..Me, my mom and sis are hanging in there and adujusting ,my working sis had taken this very hard, since she went eveyday and we were fighting to save her,,,but the stupid hospital done a stress test without our consent and that hospital killed my disabled sis of a cardiac arrest ..This year is not a good year...

I am hanging in there and still eating fiberous foods, started this week. I am being calm with my scale,,May 3 will be my peak time.

I am pleased some of you chatting here..and thought I share on what I had been doing of not posting here..also, I am in a email loop..and lately been lurking till now.,,Our wireless connection is acting up and do not know what is going on ,so I am using our main comp when my working sis is not using it...till we find out why our wireless is down...

Will do my best on posting here more often...Now am keeping tabs on my aging mom..and been trying to get things back to normal.

Till next time..Be well...Hugs...

Pattience
04-24-2014, 11:44 PM
Hi Liliann. Its nice to see you back here but boy have things been rough in your neck of the woods. I'm really sorry to hear about your sister.

I wish you and your family all the best and that grief doesn't stick around too long for any of you.

Steelslady
04-25-2014, 01:51 AM
Oh, Liliann, I kept getting a feeling something was wrong, I couldn't shake it! I kept checking your profile daily to see if you had signed in, I was getting really worried. I am so so sorry about your dear sister, may she rest in peace, the poor thing. She was lucky to have such loving and caring sisters during that awful time she was sick. Sending you a big hug :hug:, and if you ever need to talk, feel free to do so her or in private. What an awful trauma your family is going through, your poor Mom must be so devastated losing a daughter. :(

Liliann, did they give a reason as to why they performed a stress test? I find it strange after her being so sick with that flu, that they would put her through that so soon. Poor thing, that had to have been awful for her.

I'm so proud of you for trying again on your weight loss journey, but please please be gentle with yourself right now, ok? Just do the best that you can, exercise when you're up to it, but don't panic over gains or losses. Your body is suffering from emotional trauma right now, so please don't get upset if things are out of whack right now and for a month or two. I feel so bad for you, you have gone through some very rough times, just know we're always here when you need us.

Lotsa love and hugs to you, :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Audrey

aleka
04-25-2014, 02:21 AM
Oh, Lilliann, I am so sorry for the loss of your sister, please accept my deepest sympathy. :hug: :hug: This is a very difficult time for you and your family, so just take things one day at a time.

I too find it strange why they would give your sister a stress test after she had been so sick with the flu and without your consent. Again, I am so sorry. :hug:

Steelslady
04-25-2014, 02:29 AM
HI Steel

Our thread has gone dead quiet so i'm really glad you came back.

If the paleo is so difficult, why bother with it. I was looking for a paleo book at the library last time i went but they were all out. Its the current fad diet.

But anyway, yes almond meal is super delicious stuff and peanuts are a legume and so also i believe are cashews. I only read that the other day and haven't checked the facts.

Yes at least when the power was out, we had gas and it wasn't cold. Its tropical here. In fact one night was really hot and without the fans it was hard to get to sleep especially because of the mosquitos. I don't know why but i didn't even think to light a coil.

my eating is going great. I had a few days where i wanted to eat more often. At first i thought it was a famine reaction but no i'm thinking maybe it was just because i procrastinating about my sewing and this i think could cause stress and or lower my seratonin levels. Of course i don't know what's going on physiologically at all, just guessing but now my appetite is good again.

Though i have to admit, i'm not yet ready to start cutting back and tightly controlling calories again just yet. I'm just happy to stabilise here for a while.

The funny think i just thought of is that paleo people wouldn't have eaten waffles and cookies lol. Maybe you are working too hard or pushing the limits of the diet and that's why you are struggling with it. But i think that does expose a potential other shortcoming. Its boring.

That said, in days gone by people had plenty of time for preparing food and they used to do it.

I'm still loving my bean salad. We all have been persuaded that eating protein satisfies. And recently i read that eating fat helps turn off our want more button. But i also am finding that eating a lot of vegies does it too. If i go without vegies for a day, i start to notice an increase in my appetite. I think. Bodies are so mysterious.

oh btw, love the sound of your pool fun.

Yes, our dear thread has gone a bit quiet, but I think it's just because a lot of things are going on in others lives right now- some sad, some busy, myself, getting daughter ready for prom and graduation. I hope that Trish and aleka are both doing ok! Too bad about poor Liliann's sister, keeping them all in my thoughts and prayers.

Well, darling daughter and I switched over the the Carbohydrate Addict's diet, after we both lost a total of four pounds in two weeks time- I lost a measely 4 ounces this week, while she gained a pound. A couple of people who are health nuts and fitness trainers themselves told me that Paleo is very hard for the majority of women in terms of weight loss- that it is more suitable for guys, and that women tend to gain on Paleo. Good thing I told my daughter this bit of news the night before her weigh in, or she would have taken it personally. Poor baby blamed herself because she had a couple of treats on Easter. First magazine did a disservice printing such an article. Both of the trainers told me that Paleo is fine for when you get close to or are at goal. It did help me break a plateau though, but we're moving on, thank you very much. :D

On the CAD diet, at least I can eat my high fiber foods again during the reward meal. Not sure how long we'll stick to this one- we're just trying to help her get off as much weight as possible for her prom- we're hoping around 15-20 pounds. She's lost four so far, she's trying so hard, bless her heart. I know CAD will help with a few pounds the first couple of weeks- I have done this diet before and did great on it. The only problem is is that it gets boring with the Complimentary meals- you're restricted to simply proteins and low carb veggies during the two a day and two Complimentary snacks, which is the same foods allowed, only half of the quantity of a Complimentary meal. The Reward meal is when you can eat some carbs that you enjoy without guilt or deprivation. I started yesterday on this diet, and she started last night with the Reward Meal, and today was her first day of two Complimentary meals and the Reward Meal. I only eat on of each meal- I can't eat any more than that, most days. Fine by me, less cooking. :D

I know when I have done CAD in the past, I've lost a good amount of weight in the first two to three weeks, so I am hoping the same for her, so she doesn't get discouraged. Sad thing is, she is so disciplined- she deserves this! I just wish I could wave a magic wand and make the scale go down a little more for her.

Eventually, though, I am going back to high fiber again. Doing Paleo and CAD for a few weeks is helping get the furnace going again, so I can't complain. I do miss eating high fiber all day, though- many more food choices and no restrictions compared to these two diets.

Do you enjoy sewing? Could you be just bored of it, hence why you are procrastinating? Is this your livelihood, Pattience? Or is it a fun hobby? It sounds like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself to do this, that's why I am asking. I love to crochet myself, but often times the things I make take over two to three years to complete. :lol:

Glad you didn't have any heat problems! How nice to live in a tropical area year round- I would love to do that myself! I wish my hubby wasn't such a winter person- while it is pretty during Christmas and New Years, I am done b by the end of January with winter. Too bad Mother Nature doesn't agree with me!

I so missed my beans this past two weeks as well as peas. I can only have them during the Reward meal on CAD, at least I can have them again- woo hoo! I can also have croutons in my salad again and high fiber bread and pasta, if I want. I still have been high in fiber all this time, just got it a different way, but still ate around 25-30 grams a day. I'll be glad to go back to it soon, just needed to break my stall.

Have a great night, will try to post again tomorrow. Been crazy busy over here! Was supposed to go swimming today, but the wind was so ridiculously bad today, we didn't dare go. My sister's car is very light and would end up on the other side of the road, no word of lie. So, I did two hours on my recumbent bike and rocked back and forth on my rocking/reclining chair during my beloved Boston Bruins game, to which we won in over time. One more game to go, then on to round 2!

GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

aleka
04-25-2014, 08:51 AM
I haven't posted in awhile...life got in the way, I guess. My MIL was diagnosed with cancer, which has already spread and I'm still trying to wrap my mind around that.

DH & I haven't walked in 2 weeks. My left knee has been bothering me and I've kept off it as much as I can. It does feel better now, so I'm planning on starting back Mon.

Pattience, glad that the cyclone wasn't bad and that your power was out only for a few days. I can imagine how difficult it was to sleep without electricity. We were in the process of buying a house in FL when Hurricane Charlie hit the west coast of FL, but hadn't signed papers yet. Thankfully the house was ok. For days they had no electricity and it was the middle of Aug., which is brutal down there. I don't know how they did it. One of the first things we did when we moved was buy a generator. Luckily we never had to use it. It was one of the first things we packed when we moved back to NH.

Steelslady, congratulations on your weight loss! :carrot: I'm sorry Paleo didn't work out for you. It does sound like a lot of cooking. Good luck with CAD. It sounds very doable and wish you much success.

That's great you bought a membership to the pool. What is the fee and is it an annual or monthly fee? I hope you don't mind me asking, but I've been looking into the fees for the YMCA and I'd like to see which is cheaper. The reason I asked is, my DH legs bother him when we walk and walking occasionally aggravates my left knee, and I thought swimming might be better for us. Anyway....thanks in advance.

Also, if you don't mind, would you share your recipes for the one minute muffin and the chocolate mug cake? I do make the OMM, but would like different variations. I used to have a recipe for the chocolate mug cake, but it may have gotten lost in the move.

I'm so glad the wind has stopped. That was awful. Hope you didn't lose your power.

Trish.....:wave: Hope your eating plan is working for you.

Lilliann....:hug:

Hope everyone has a good day.

MsMatic
04-25-2014, 09:54 AM
I want to post some pictures of some of my favorite healthy meals but this site is telling me I need 25 posts before I can post a picture :( dumb rule

Liliann
04-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Hello all..

Thank you all for the kind and well wishes...We are holding up well and knowing my late sis is at peace. Again..Thank you.

Pattience...Happy reading! I used to be a book worm on reading self help and weight loss books on hearing different views of the author on diets and such..Now I had recylced them and gained knowledge. Hoping your books will give you some insights. :)

Aleka...Hoping you will able on walking soon..I am tracking miles since March 10th and so far walked 90 miles! Hang in there and stay strong of life issues. :hug:

Steels...Good luck with Carbs Addict diet.. Back in the 80s, have read the book, but never followed the plan. Hoping it will bring some success of your journey.. :)

I am not tracking fiber, just keeping mindful..I eat fiber bagels and fruits and some protein.. I range daily between 30-40 of fiber.

Ladies...Be well and have a nice day..later.. :hug::hug:

pattygirl63
04-25-2014, 07:41 PM
Liliann I am so sorry about your sister. I'm glad you are back to working on your weight loss, but please be loving to yourself while you are going through this stressing time. :hug:

Steelslady No, I'm not doing the strict Atkins program any more. I'm just counting calories eating what I really want within what MFP calorie recommendations and the most interesting thing is that the fiber is actually taking care of itself. I've actually had 31 g today. I eat veggies but not always in a salad, because I just don't seem to be able to eat all that lettuce on a daily basis any more. My body doesn't rejects it. Also spring fruit is coming out and I really want to be able to eat strawberries and cantaloupe etc. My fbs was 113 this morning so that is going good too. I know the Atkins had it lower, but it is too strict for me. I do like at least 1 sl of the double fiber bread with my eggs in the morning. I really love Paleo way of eating, but that is a lot like Atkins so I know I'm not going to do it. Most paleo don't promote eating grains of any kind even beans and I think they have their place. Just me.

Aleka I'm so sorry about your MIL. Hope your knee is better soon. Y'all will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Pattience - Glad you made it through the cyclone with only losing power for a few days. We went through Hurricane Wilma when we lived in FL and we lost power and had some roof damage. Quite an experience. Glad you are doing fine.

pattygirl63
04-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Steelslady I did CAD just before I married DH 12 years ago and lost down to the 160s and stayed on it for a while after we married and then took a trip and got off of it and gained it all back. I love the plan, but just don't seem to be able to stick with it any more. When I read the original book and saw that Rachel accidentally stumbled to eating only one meal a day because of an appt for a test that she had to fast for was changed from an early appt to later in the day. She had been afraid of going without eating and was surprised that she not only made it without eating, but she stopped on the way home at a restaurant and Rewarded herself with a meal she really wanted. She was even more surprised that instead of a gain the next morning when she got on the scale, she had lost. She decided to experiment with it and found that suddenly she could eat only one meal a day and eat what she wanted even dessert and lose weight. So I decided if she could do it, so could I. So for a long time I ate only the Reward Meal each day. When I married DH, I added one Complimentary meal and I lost very well. Good luck on your journey. And yes the nice thing about eating CAD way is that you can still eat regular food even fiber.

They have a new book out about eating your Reward Meal at breakfast. I forgot the name of it. I'm not sure I could do that. However, one of the other nice thing about CAD is that you can move the Reward Meal around for special occasions. It really is doable and works if I could ever convince myself to do it again. I guess my problem that caused me to get off of it is that when I married DH and moved to FL, I fell in love with all the fruit they had available and eventually gave up CAD.

Steelslady
04-26-2014, 01:30 AM
I haven't posted in awhile...life got in the way, I guess. My MIL was diagnosed with cancer, which has already spread and I'm still trying to wrap my mind around that.

DH & I haven't walked in 2 weeks. My left knee has been bothering me and I've kept off it as much as I can. It does feel better now, so I'm planning on starting back Mon.

Pattience, glad that the cyclone wasn't bad and that your power was out only for a few days. I can imagine how difficult it was to sleep without electricity. We were in the process of buying a house in FL when Hurricane Charlie hit the west coast of FL, but hadn't signed papers yet. Thankfully the house was ok. For days they had no electricity and it was the middle of Aug., which is brutal down there. I don't know how they did it. One of the first things we did when we moved was buy a generator. Luckily we never had to use it. It was one of the first things we packed when we moved back to NH.

Steelslady, congratulations on your weight loss! :carrot: I'm sorry Paleo didn't work out for you. It does sound like a lot of cooking. Good luck with CAD. It sounds very doable and wish you much success.

That's great you bought a membership to the pool. What is the fee and is it an annual or monthly fee? I hope you don't mind me asking, but I've been looking into the fees for the YMCA and I'd like to see which is cheaper. The reason I asked is, my DH legs bother him when we walk and walking occasionally aggravates my left knee, and I thought swimming might be better for us. Anyway....thanks in advance.

Also, if you don't mind, would you share your recipes for the one minute muffin and the chocolate mug cake? I do make the OMM, but would like different variations. I used to have a recipe for the chocolate mug cake, but it may have gotten lost in the move.

I'm so glad the wind has stopped. That was awful. Hope you didn't lose your power.

Trish.....:wave: Hope your eating plan is working for you.

Lilliann....:hug:

Hope everyone has a good day.

Oh, aleka, I am so sorry about your mother-in-law! She along with the rest of your family is in my thoughts and prayers. What a horrible disease it is, so unpredictable. My dearly departed mother-in-law had gall bladder/liver cancer two years ago- she put up such a fight to beat it, but unfortunately, it was too far advanced and too late to help her. :( I hope your mother-in-law will be ok. Hang in there!

I brought home the pamphlet that has the memberships to the pool and of course, I left it out in the car- too dark out right now to go get it, but I will tomorrow and share the other prices with you.

We got a family pass for $500.00 per year, and they give what they call a "baker's dozen", in other words, you get 13 months instead of 12. Also, if they have to close down the pool for any reason, they add on the amount of days to your account.

You and hubby could get a pass for $400.00 per year. I don't know how old you both are, but my sister is a Senior and had she taken out the pass, she would have been given a senior discount. Also, even though the $400.00 membership is for one person, you are allowed to bring a guest for free, so it would be for the both of you, or if you wanted to bring a friend instead of hubby some day, you could. They are very very nice there! My family loves it there. They said that the mornings have an older crowd that love to exercise in the pool. They also let you get their continental breakfast for $5.00, if you wish, if you have a membership. Because we got a family pass, my sister didn't have to pay anything since she lives with me. We've never gone in the morning, some day, we want to try and see what it's like.

For just the day, it costs $7.00 per person- not sure if there is a senior discount or not, we never thought to ask for my sister. You and hubby should just try it for a day and see what you think.

Helpful hints- they close the pool down at 1 PM to 2:30 PM for cleaning. It's open from the early morning until midnight, except during the cleaning time. You might want to try the morning or after 4:30 PM- a lot of kids have therapy in the pool Mon- Fri- you can still use the pool, but it's very crowded at that time. Sister and I go after 4 PM ourselves and stay for a couple of hours. She loves the hot tub and will talk your ear off if you go in it with her. :D Also, on the weekends, they do have birthday parties there- call ahead to ask if they are having any and what time. They do allow members and others to still swim in the pool, but it can get pretty rowdy some days during those parties. :lol: It's best to go in the AM or after 5 PM on the weekends. Oh, and they let you bring your lunch if you want to eat it in their small cafe which is right as you walk in, next to the registration desk.

We really love the pool, 99.8 percent of the time, it is nice and warm. The hot tub is small, but still awesome, especially if you have back or knee problems- it feels really good before and after working out. I try to work out at least 2 hours, with ten minute spurts in the hot tub, so we're there for two and a half hours every time we go. We grab a coffee on the way out for the ride home, too. :D

Oh, and the only downside to the membership is that you have to pay it all at once for the 3 months, 6 months, or the entire year. I forget the cost of the 3 and 6 month memberships- for us, this is much more economical as a family. If my sister and I go three times a week for three months, it will have paid for itself. We were paying $42.00 dollars a week for the both of us to go- in twelve weeks time, the membership is paid for, and the 40 weeks left in the year are free! If we kept paying the $7.00 per day per person, we would have ended up paying $2184.00 per year just for the two of us. This way, my whole family gets to go whenever they want. Can't beat that price, lol!

I will share the recipes for OMM and mug cake tomorrow. Time for bed, my eyes are starting to go googley. :rofl: Thinking of you and your hubby, hope your mom-in-law will be ok. Big hugs to you. :hug:

Pattience
04-26-2014, 06:37 AM
All right, can someone please summarise CAD for me, if you get a chance. The words are going round and round and not making any sense to me.

I'm just curious.

aleka
04-26-2014, 08:14 AM
Thank you for your kind words re: my MIL. She is in her 80's and has decided not to do anything about it Other than having difficulty swallowing, she says she feels good.

Last night I watched a movie on Amazon, "Hungry for Change". It's about all the ways the food industry tricks us into eating things and what's really in food that we don't know about. It also talks about the diet industry. It was eye opening.

Pattience, I haven't read the CAD book in a long time, and I think the gist of it is, you eat 2 low-carb meals and a reward meal where you can have whatever you want, but you have to eat it within a certain time frame. I hope I have that right....as I said, it's been a long time since I read the book.

Pattygirl, the book you're thinking of where you eat your reward meal at breakfast is called, Big Breakfast Diet. I have the book and was thinking of doing it because I love eating a big breakfast. After reading it, I figured I'd gain weight rather than lose it and have a hard enough time losing as it is.

Steelslady, thank you so much for all the info about the membership at the pool. It was so helpful and I am a senior. DH & I will have to stop in and pick up a pamphlet. It sounds like a nice place to go. I looked into the YMCA and there was a start up fee for around $30.00 (forget the exact amount) and $36.00 a month. It's the senior price and for only 1 person.

Lilliann, you are doing great with your walking, 90 miles is fantastic! I subscribed to a thread where they picked a destination on a map and charted the miles they either walked or cycled.

Hope everyone has a great day.

pattygirl63
04-26-2014, 09:03 AM
Aleka I tried eating the big breakfast too and then eating lowcarb the rest of the day and ended up eating 2 reward meals. So I gave up on it too. However, I do remember my doctor telling me to eat my carby foods earlier in the day, but that didn't work great for me either.

I'm looking into the Dr. Anderson's Simple Diet. I don't want to follow it exactly because I don't think I could do 3 shakes a day, but I sure could do 2 shakes, one balanced meal when DH and I eat our main meal together and then do one healthy tv dinner each day. What I liked about what I read yesterday is that you are required to eat 5 vegetable and fruits along with it each day. So not as unhealthy as you would think. I wouldn't do it long term, but maybe to get a jump start so I can start losing again. I figured I would use the low carb shakes of Atkins and while the diet allows you to eat bars, I can't handle the sugar alcohol so that wouldn't work for me at all.

On the run today... beauty shop and grocery shopping. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Liliann
04-26-2014, 07:48 PM
Hello All...

Trish...I see on your ticker 14 Lbs bye bye..wonderful!!

Aleka....A few months back,,I watched Hungry For Change on Netflix..It was a eye opener..Some I already knew from books...but do like watching documentries on stuff like these..I gotten some tips out of it.

I am doing good...My fiber for today is 30 ish...

Hoping all enjoying the weekend..

Pattience
04-27-2014, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the info Aleka

pattygirl63
04-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Lilliann Thanks, I'm actually up a little but haven't changed my ticker. Hoping that The Simple Diet plan will help bring it back down.

Pattience I am so sorry I forgot to answer your question about CAD. Basically it is like Aleka said. It is 2 low carb meals and low carb snacks which are called Complimentary meals and then one meal called Reward Meal where you can have your carbs. Actually during the Reward Meal, you are supposed to visualize your plate divided into thirds and have 1/3 protein, 1/3 low carb vegetable and 1/3 starchy carb and you are to start with a 2 c salad before eating from your plate. You are welcome to go back for seconds as long as you balance the plate 1/3,1/3,1/3 again. That usually kept me from eating seconds because I didn't want more of the protein, lc veggies and higher carb veggie.

When I was doing low carb, I actually would use this RM ratio when I went out to eat. I love eating that way when we went out to eat at Golden Corral. I actually lost 78 lbs eating this way about 10 yrs ago. It was slow as it took me about 3 yrs to lose it., but I didn't really feel like I was dieting at all. Wish I could bring myself to do it again, but it just doesn't work for me any more.

Steelslady I hope you and your daughter are enjoying CAD. I think she will enjoy eating RM when with friends as she prepares for prom and graduation.

My first day on The Simple Diet went well. Scale actually moved down .6 lbs and my FBS was back down to 124 from yesterday's 139. And that was with eating 2 pieces of cheese pizza for lunch yesterday. Today's eating is better and the fiber is good as well. So far so good.

Pattience
04-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Thanks Patty. I think whatever you decide to do you have to commit to it to make it work and if you can't commit, it won't work.

I worked on my resolve when i started this diet. I mean i spent a lot of mental time doing it telling myself about my resolve, the need for restraint and so on. I really needed to do that since i started off with a one day fast which requires a lot of restraint. And since then i get some tough days and the further i go in , the more committed i am so that when a tough day comes up, i do a bit of work with my resolve and commitment and it gets me through without breaking my rules. I feel i can't afford to break any of my rules because i'm an all or nothing sort of person and have always found that if i cheat a little here and there, it all comes unstuck pretty soon and i can't restart for months or even years.

I don't eat to anyone else's prescribed formula. I find that difficult. But i do pick up tips and strategies from this book and that book which have helped too. And since i started this diet, i have discovered that the main key rule of my diet that i figured out myself is one that people write whole books about. And i find this is key because it keeps me eating good food. And that's my quit sugar (not carbs, just refined sugars) rule. I am starting to believe, just as a theoretical point, if the whole western world gave up refined sugar, we'd all be slim again within a few years. I guess some people would need to quit or at least severely reduce their refined white flour foods too.

The other day i felt a bit challenged by eating dried figs and dates (which i had just brought home for the first time since the start of this diet) because they are so sweet but since i'm so far in to my diet, and my commitment is strong now, i am working with it. I don't want to throw them out because they are so nutritious as well as so delicious but i will if i have to. Anyway a few days in from that now and its going fine.

A couple of other key things in my diet are:
to put fresh fruit and vegetables first. Eat a lot other and vary the choices as much as possible.
one more recent one i had to add was to increase my protein intake. I didn't start out eating too much protein but with my fitness pal i realised i wasn't eating enough and with all that people go on about it on this board, it persuaded me that i should be eating more. Its a bit challenging since i try not to eat meat. For years i've been somewhat off eggs but now i am having to eat them more often. And of course i have to eat more beans and lentils.

Incidentally, i finally found the true recipe for red lentil soup the turkish way. Its even simpler than the last recipe. And i find better. I find this so good, I could eat this virtually every day. Its just red lentils, salt and water. No other vegies or spices. I love this flavour. Getting the consistency right is key and so to is the salt level. If you don't have enough salt it will be bland.

Did i tell you before that beans suck up cholesterol from the blood stream. Until recently i knew that beans were good for lowering cholesterol but i didn't know how. And then in my Don't go Hungry Diet book, i think it was, she explained this. But also i'm reading now that people don't believe that dietary cholesterol is a cause of heart disease. The body makes its own cholesterol and perhaps no one really knows why some bodies make so much more of it than others.

This long post is to make up for the one i wrote and deleted last night i guess. lol.

pattygirl63
04-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Patitience Thank you so very much for sharing. I think I needed to hear all of that. You have helped me a lot. I always try to follow the rules of some plan to the letter and then when I can't, I give up or second guess myself. But maybe I need to make my own way to.

Years ago when I did CAD, I pretty much did it my way and it really worked. Then I joined a low carb group where some did CAD, some did Atkins or some other low carb plan. I was doing great losing and one day I got shot down as I posted my food plan for the day and I had yogurt for breakfast. The leader let me know that yogurt was not on any low carb diet she had ever seen and I couldn't eat it. Now low carbers do eat yogurt.

I like the idea of making a plan of my own with my own rules. I've noticed over the years that some of the things I have done even low carbing that we we were told years ago that low carbers can't be included on low carb diets are being done. Eventually someone comes out with another diet book and they do the very thing we were told would derail the whole plan if you did it in the past.

Today, I got up and had an Atkins shake with fruit for breakfast just like I did yesterday. I decided to eat on the way home from church that I would eat a WW frozen dinner instead of my usual breakfast we usually eat every Sunday after church. I did that because I was afraid eating the eggs would make me want eggs tomorrow instead of the shake. I did great yesterday, but I think it is because we had a regular meal. Today was different. I've been hungry all day long. I finally decided to make a tuna salad much earlier than I usually eat dinner and I was still hungry after so I had an extra fruit today. I post everything on MFP so I have the calories, but I ended up drinking my second shake earlier than usual.

Your sharing has caused me to decide to rethink how I'm doing what I'm doing. I remember seeing someone on a CAD thread on another site yrs ago who evidently didn't always want the Complimentary meals. As Steelslady said not many choices of foods can be boring. She didn't care for breakfast so she substituted Atkins drinks for breakfast. Someone quickly told her that she couldn't do that because CAD was not low carb. She left the site. I hope she was smart enough to keep doing it the way she was because it was working for her.

I have a book somewhere that was about people who had dieted and successfully kept their weight off for 3 yrs or more. I remember that they learned how to take whatever diet they liked and did it their way. Some followed their diet to the letter (I guess some people can do that) and others took the basic diet they liked and they worked with it and tweaked it until it fit their lifestyle and the way they could live with the rest of their lives. My doctor told me once that any diet will work. He said the key is that you just have to find the one you can live with the rest of your life.

You have obviously learned how to do that so that you have your own plan that works for you. I am going to do the same thing. Thanks for sharing.

Question on the lentils? Do you soak lentils like you do beans? My Mama made lentils one time but she died and I have no idea how she fixed them. I didn't know that beans lower cholesterol. I've been wanting to add beans to my way of eating. So I'm going to work at adding them too as they are such a good source of fiber.

aleka
04-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Lilliann, yes, Hungry for Change was an eye opener. I couldn't get over how much sugar we consume compared to the early 1900's. You're really doing great with you fiber.

Pattience, I knew that beans were good for your cholesterol, but never realized they suck it up. That's good to know. I have also read where cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease and that it has more to do with inflammation. I also read that saturated fat is not the villain it's made out to be.

Pattygirl, making a plan with your own rules sounds good. All the rules can become tedious over time and you may start obsessing about food, at least that's what happens to me. Good luck with your plan and since you're making up your own rules, you will be successful.

Steelslady, how is CAD going for you?

Have a great evening.

Pattience
04-28-2014, 04:43 PM
Hi Aleka,

Its seems to be the low carbers e.g. Gary Taubes, who say that cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease. I think the jury is still out but i thought the arguments in his book were worth consideration. A show I saw here on tv against lipitor suggested something similar too. The inflammation thing, i haven't looked into too much yet. But i do read someone on this site always pointing the finger at everything else and never at his own overeating, e.g. that overeating and subsequent overweightness may be the cause of inflammation. He was always putting it down to bread. I am pretty well come round to the notion that fats are ok. But when you take these sorts of new positions into account, we have to still remember that overeating them could well exacerbate problems so we shouldn't really rush in and go oh its alright we can eat as much as we want again. I eat saturated fats but as i'm not a big meat eater, i don't do it in excess. However when i'm in binge mode, i do eat a ton of ice-cream. So i am sure i get lots of saturated fats that way. But now i'm not eating ice-cream anymore so i feel that all my intake of cholesterol and saturated fats, wherever the truth lies are not going to do me much harm.

But i do takeaway the notion that its likely that the low fat dairy trend is wrong. It has just always felt wrong to me so its natural that i am going to want to believe the idea that saturated fats are ok.

I think that anything that ruins natural foods has got to be wrong. But if saturated fats are a problem, then its only because people are overeating them that they are a problem and it seems that all the low fat dairy is not preventing people from getting these terrible diseases, diabetes if not heart disease, so it can't be worth it to my mind.

Still one of the local bank managers had a heart attack recently and he was not overweight or old. But he probably did have a bit of stress. Still it must have been largely hereditary or congenital with him. (It didn't kill him btw).

When i make up my rules to do a diet, they are often fairly strict. But as i've gone along, over the last few years, i've loosened them up a bit, taking into account some of the information that i've learned along the way from reading and my own personal preferences. My earlier diets had much less fats of any kind and now i read that they actually help more.

Right now i'im reading french women don't get fat. I have a bit of experience with the french way of eating and i know her approach is good. So i've just started to make some of my meals a bit more frenchy (i.e. with courses), but i'm currently on the chapter on chocolate and i don't think i'll be going down that road. First, while i love good chocolate, i don't really want to eat it, unless its a super fantastic and expensive truffle but even those i don't crave for and feel i can live without most of the time. She talks a lot about the dark chocolate. Actually its quite an interesting chapter because she talks a bit about its history and how its made. But i don't like most of the dark chocolates that much.

Cream on the other hand, i do like. And last night i had a tsp on my ratatouille (french vegetable stew). I would prefer to avoid cream most of the time and it won't be a regular thing.

I've decided when i'm feeling vulnerable (bingy and bored) is when i have to be most careful and even strict - and load up on vegies and fruit and sardines and stuff like that.

Pattience
04-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Trish, i'm glad to hear that you found my post helpful. I find that having a fair sense of what good nutrition is, i feel confident about coming up with my own plan. So my diet is based on good nutrition and breaking bad habits. I've done the moderation thing with sweets in the past, i just can't do it. And when i decided some years ago now to quit sweets, i found it so liberating, just making that decision. Of course i've done it a few times and reverted back but each time i feel i've advanced a lot in my thinking about it and my attempts to do it. Which suggests i will probably make more advances in my thinking about it in the future, but hopefully no more backwards steps.

About lentils. Red lentils don't really need soaking but if you can remember to do it, it will reduce the cooking time further too like all the others. All the other lentils and beans need soaking really. It just takes too long to cook them. Also don't add salt until the end and add enough til it tastes right to you. Cooking beans in a pressure cooker also reduces cooking time.

I think if you are going to do a ketagenic diets, you have to try to follow them pretty closely to get the body effects. I mean in order to bypass the usual insulin process and the way the body creates most of its energy from carbs or fats, you have to do what they recommend. But i'm not attracted to those sorts of diet because it sounds so painful and ungastronomic. But definitely learning how to limit carbs would matter to all of us. For me to be able to live on a diet, the food should taste good.

One of the diets i tried to follow pretty closely was the CSIRO total wellbeing diet. Some time later, i heard the women who wrote the diet say that they were sort of a bit disappointed that people were trying to follow their meals plans so strictly and that it wasn't really meant to be followed that way. Rather they were trying to teach people how eat nutritionally balanced meals that tasted good. They had 12 weeks worth of menus and the problem was that their meals were so diverse that people trying to follow the meal plan exactly were racking up huge expense completely unnecessarily. Their meals plans were meant to give people lots of options and to show what was possible. Because it was a high protein diet and i was a vegetarian, i had to alter it . But i was trying to follow the calorie intake the same and in the end that was the main problem for me. It was too restricted and i felt hungry which causes me to fail.

Anyway that's again too much from me. I didn't mean to write so much this second post but there you go.

aleka
04-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Pattygirl, I hope you didn't get any severe weather from that storm. I just can't get over the destruction. Hope you're safe. We're getting the northern edge now and it's damp & raw. Are you still doing the Simple Diet? I read the posts on the Simple Diet thread. It sounds like a doable plan.

Pattience, I enjoy reading your posts. They are very informative. I like to read about nutrition, but never retain what I read. My DH tells me I read too much. LOL If you do a search for Weston A. Price Foundation, they have a wealth of information on nutrition. I believe there is an article about saturated fats and fats in general. There may be something there about cholesterol too. I haven't been in their website for a long time.

Steelslady, how are things going with you? Hope you're still going to the pool. DH & I have to take a ride over there and get a pamphlet and see about joining.

Lilliann, I hope you're doing ok. :hug:

Have a nice night.

Steelslady
04-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Well, CAD didn't last for my daughter and I. She, too, has low blood sugar like me, she was getting dizzy mid-day- not good, considering she's doing her observation at a dentist's office for her college program. Myself, I was getting sick of all the protein again- low carb just isn't for me. Even though CAD is much more liberal than the other low carb diets out there, apparently too much protein on any low carb plan makes me feel sick. Breaks my heart, as I had wonderful success with CAD in the past (I did the original CAD, not the newer version called CALP, which is balancing your plate with the 1 low carb veggie, 1 carb, and 1 protein with a small salad to start the meal off with). I do recommend it highly for anyone who needs a change in diet or wants to try it- while the weight slows down in terms of loss after the second week, it is a nice plan for folks who love carbs and want to still have them while following a low carb plan the rest of the day.

We are now just counting calories- I know, I know, I said I would never count calories again. :lol: I am just trying to help her stay motivated, and she's doing a wonderful job, sticking to every diet we have done so far. She's a very disciplined girl, and I am proud of her. I don't know how much she's lost so far, as she keeps forgetting to weigh herself first thing in the morning. :rofl: She looks good, though- you can see she's lost some weight in her face, neck, and stomach areas.

Best thing of all, counting calories with her- I get to eat my high fiber foods still (I was thrilled on CAD being able to eat them again!). It is a much much easier diet in terms of cooking and planning than the other two diets, I must say. While I love to cook, Paleo kept me in the kitchen for more time than I ever expected. CAD wasn't too bad, but you did have a bit more cooking on that diet than calorie counting, because of the protein at each meal.

Trish- hope you are ok and no harm came to you and your family during the severe weather!

aleka- Try the pool a couple of times to be sure you enjoy it before taking out a membership. Lots of people love it like we do, but I recommend trying it first, to make sure you and hubby enjoy it first. I'm hoping to go tomorrow. It's been a long week, and I've had to ride my recumbent bike at home to get some exercise in. I used the Tabata Timer website to do 32 minutes of interval training- 30 seconds as fast as I could peddle, then 4 minutes of moderate peddling. I love that timer- it has fight bell to let you know when you start peddling fast, then it dings when you are done. The fight bell cracks me up, lol! They have other sounds you can use instead, but I haven't tried them. My daughter thought it was a riot when she tried it out yesterday.

Pattience- very interesting about Gary Taubes theory. I have heard that elsewhere, too, but not sure where, sorry. While it may not cause heart disease in general (cholesterol), there's no question in my eyes that a diet high in cholesterol that is not monitored closely can indeed, cause problems for the heart. Enough people in my family have had to have surgery because of the damage it did to their vessels. As I always say, one size does not fit all- I've seen people with the most horrific diets be very healthy, and I've seen people who eat healthy and exercise have problems with cholesterol and sugar. Go figure! Look at me, I can't eat low carb foods for too long, it literally makes me sick to my stomach, and is not healthy for me. Yet, many others have great success with it. To each his/her own. ;)

Oh, and I do love Red Lentil soup. I add some ham chunks to ours with some honey at the end of it- delish! I do soak the lentils for an hour before cooking. Otherwise, they remain hard. Still, it tastes so good, especially on a cold winter's night- I love it with a nice Kentucky ham sandwich on Pumpernickel bread, mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm!!!!!

By the way, I absolutely love your posts and enjoy reading every one of them. So informative and well thought out. So glad you joined us in this thread, you have been a wonderful addition to our wonderful high fiber family. I truly love this group here, and I promise I will be around much more now that the stress of not cooking all day is off my shoulders. I miss chatting with all of you ladies. Even when I can only read the posts real fast before I'm off to another errand or chore, it really makes my day reading them all. Please keep the coming, everyone!

I have two daughter's graduating soon- my oldest from her two year college, she's transferring to a four year in the fall to become a teacher. Youngest daughter is graduating high school and we have the prom, senior banquet, two concerts, her graduation, and then her graduation party in late June. Oy, I'm dizzy from all that we have to do in the next few weeks.

Liliann, how are you doing, my friend? Thinking of you and sending you strength. Let us know how you're doing when you have the time. I miss seeing you daily on here, you were always such a warm and fun person, cheering everyone on every day. Hang in there, kiddo. :hug:

I forget who recommended the Fiber Gourmet products in this thread- was it sluggo? I just wanted to say, thank you, thank you, thank you! Their pastas are fabulous (the spaghetti is out of stock and has been for over a month, so I haven't been able to try it yet *sigh*), had some Aspargus Lasagna Bianco last week, it was delicious. Chicken Alfredo Bake with Broccoli another night- delightful! Oh, and I bought small packages of their crackers- the cheese ones do taste like Cheez Its! I am dying to try the Nacho flavor- they're out of those, too, gggrrrr. I also bought some regular high fiber crackers that I plan on trying sometime this week. Can't get over how low in calories this food is but the fiber is phenomenal! Tastes great, too! So, whoever recommended the Fiber Gourmet, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am also using no calorie Shiratake noodles for stir fries- yummy! I rinse the heck out of it before I cook it. Doesn't taste good as a spaghetti or a pasta dish, but it is awesome for stir fries, and zero calories per serving, unless you get the tofu kind, which is 40 calories per bag. Can't beat that! :D

Have a great day, everyone! Looking forward to seeing my Bruins play in round two tomorrow night! My son was trying to win two tickets to tomorrow night's game- he said to me- "Mom, if I win them, you and I are going, so be ready!" Oh, that sounds like fun! However, every play off game I go to, the Bruins lose. Is it something I said? :( :D

Pattience
04-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Thanks Aleka. Last night i started doing a thread where i'm going to write my weightloss tips and strategies. I have attached a link to it in my sig line. I'll add to it regularly in the beginning and then i'll probably peter out with my ideas.

To tell the truth i have the same problem remembering what i read. But because a lot of what i read is already somewhat familiar when a new idea pops up, i tend to remember that. With my article reading, the ones on the hormones particularly i tried to read them a couple of times and will want to read them again because it was all fairly new information.

I don't really read a lot of diet books. I did get a stack from the library but i think i've only read two from cover to cover. One was far too technical. One was too junky. One needs a lot more time and i'd still quite like to get to the end of it but it might take a few attempts.

Yesterday i had to take my car in for repairs. The mechanics was at one end of town and the library was at the other end of town. I decided to walk there and back instead of getting a lift from the mechanic. I think it was about 35 minutes each way. I've been sitting on my backside so much lately so it was good to do that.

Also yesterday, when it came to dinner and i was gearing up to two or three courses in the french manner [I was going to have red lentil soup, then rice and ratatouille - vegetable stew- and a little side salad, and maybe followed by a piece of fruit if hungry or whatever] to my astonishment the lentil soup was so filling even though i had thinned it a lot, that i had no room or inclination for anything else. The scale is down again this morning. Its funny how motivating that is. I have not been feeling inclined to any restricting but with that little loss, i am thinking maybe just a little more reducing effort is on the cards after all.

I find i like my red lentil soup, thinned because when its thick it has quite a rich taste which i found i get tired of whereas the thin soup is super yummy but you have to get the salt right. If its bland, you have to add more salt. I don't worry about my salt intake at the moment because i don't eat hardly any processed foods and only small quantities of cheese.

I'm thinking its time to start doing a little resistance styles of exercise. And others. So i have started doing squats when i go to the toilet and push my weight against a wall. I have been getting round shouldered in recent years and my father told me that my upper back muscles need work. that made a lot of sense to me. I don't like being round shouldered so i'm doing those push up against a wall as a started. And yesterday i got a book on pilates out because my stomach muscles need some work too. I don't like sit ups though.

Pattience
04-30-2014, 06:10 PM
LOL steels post just popped up. I almost missed it. I'll read it now dear.

Liliann
04-30-2014, 06:26 PM
Hi all..

Steels...Sorry about the low carbing..But you tried and now you will able to function more better and having better food choices..I had tried low carb once and it did not last for 2 weeks..bathroom issues with it..KWIM. Keep plugging along..

I am doing well...started calorie counting today and what a start I had, snacking mostly on junk..since our weather is gloomy and rainy..But I am tracking it and knowing I will use pen and paper for life.

I will be calm on my home scale and no more daily peaking..just weekly and am determined on shedding this weight. My fiber is low end..only fiber I had was in my morning meal.

Enjoy your evening ladies..and Have a better food choices,fiberous,of course May 1st! We can do this ladies...We are winners, and winners never quit!!

Pattience
04-30-2014, 06:29 PM
Steel, your posts are so bright and lively. Your optimism and joie de vivre just shines through. I am sure you give us all a lift when you drop in.

I think i would feel sick on a ton of protein too. And although i've started cooking more, its not because i have to and i'm enjoying it. Today i want to have a go at hummus since i finally found the jar of tahini that has been sitting around for so long.

Its great your daughter is showing improvements. You are a great mum.

Its great you have found a way to eat the lentil soup. I would never have thought of honey though i guess it goes with ham. My father used to make split pea soup with ham a lot. And pumpernickel is great too. I've got some in the fridge. I usually eat it with cheese though.

Wow your daughters are lucky having you to worry about all their stuff.

I hope everyone has a good day too. I love reading everyone's posts.

Pattience
04-30-2014, 10:54 PM
Well i'm back again already. I guess i could be accused of over posting. But i got a shock and disappointment to find my diet tips thread had gone. I think its been deleted. But then i thought i could have done something stupid with it to cause it to get lost. I hope it turns up because i didn't keep a copy of what i wrote and i put such a lot of effort into it and i wanted to do it for me, as much as for anyone else. So now i want to post about my lunch since it was so good.

But first hi to Lilian. Are you still not able to cook Lil? That must be so hard. But at least tracking what you eat is a good way to be able to help you stay on track. I find it so useful.

Anyway now to my hummus. I have made it before but i don't do it often. I usually just eat it with bread but when i make it but today i ate with a salad as well and it was sooo yummy. I must say i really really do not like store bought hummus. I have always found it very poor quality so its worth doing it yourself if you want to try it as its not hard at all. Here is a recipe.

1 cup chickpeas (double all this if preparing for lots of people. Soak overnight and apparently with some bicarb soda. Then drain and put water aside for use with blending. Cook the chickpeas in a pressure cooker for at least 15 minutes. Otherwise cook on stove top until soft.
Juice of 1 lemon
125m or 1/4 cup of tahini
1-2 cloves garlic (2-3 cloves if doubling recipe)
Salt if needed.

Blend chickpeas thoroughly. Add a little liquid if needed. Blend in juice and garlic. Then blend in the tahini which might make it all sticky and need more liquid. Taste and add salt if necessary. Don't let it be too dry but it shouldn't be at all runny either.

I allowed half a cup for my serving.

To eat with a salad do like this - Open pita sandwich with hummus, salad and yoghurt:
1 pita bread. I ate half but if you have much more weight than me, i'm sure your body can cope with a whole one. Try to get wholemeal pitas for the fibre. Warm the pita bread somehow but i admit i forgot to do that. Then slice in half through the middle rather than eat it as a pocket so that you can eat more salad with it. Make it into an open sandwich to eat with knife and fork.

Spoon all the hummus in your serve onto the bread and spread it.
Drizzle over 1tsp olive oil
then pile up salad vegies (3-4 sorts would be good) such as green leaves, sprouts, watercress, grated carrot or beetroot, cucumber, tomatoes, capsicum, mushrooms.
Crumble a little fetta cheese on this or grated parmesan. Not essential but nice.
Black cracked pepper
then top with 1 tbsp of good quality natural yoghurt on each pile. If you are really enthusiastic you can mix in some crushed garlic for greek tzatziki but plain yoghurt is fine too.

I can admit i was not full up after my half pita serve so then i ate 1 ladle of stewed pears with more yoghurt and a sliced dried fig.

I can say that since i have started reading my french women don't get fat book, i have improved my food. Making a little more effort and really enjoying all my vegies and fruits and things. I am also pleased with my restraint of the delicious dried fruits and nuts.

pattygirl63
05-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Sorry I haven't been here, been getting my head around the fact that I have to low carb. AlekaThe Simple Diet has helped me a little with that. I've decided that I do like the idea of using the Atkins drinks in place of snacks, but when it comes to meal time that I want to make my own food instead of using frozen dinners. I can always use an Atkins frozen dinner for substitute if I need to, but it won't be often. One of the ladies on there makes her own frozen dinners but has a back up plan. So I've decided to have a back up plan. I lost 78 lbs yrs ago doing CAD. There will always be days when I cannot do a legal low carb day because DH likes to eat at Long John Silvers or we go out for burgers and I have to admit that there are times I can go to a hamburger place like Steak 'n Shake and have a salad, but some places don't offer them or they are too expensive. (Funny how healthy becomes the high price item in some places.) So in order to keep from having those guilty/failure feelings, I'm going to have a back up plan by have a CAD Reward Meal. That way I am still OP. I hope this will help me to be successful.

I'm still counting calories as well as carbs and hope to keep my fiber in a good healthy range. I'm not sure you could call my plan Atkins Induction or low carb as much as a moderate low carb because I've added beans to my daily plan. Sure does keep things regular and hopefully helps with the cholesterol. So glad that Pattience reminded us of that one.

Lilliann Looks like you are getting things going good for you. Success surely comes from doing what works for us personally. Hope other things are going good for you too.:hug:

Steels You have a really busy 2 months ahead of you and counting calories probably will help you get through all the activities as well as any celebration goodies coming up.

Oh yes. We didn't get much rain where I am, but I here a lot of people got it bad. Tornadoes missed my daughter in AR and my sister in Miss. My youngest son and his wife were on an island of the coast down below Pensacola when that bad storm hit and got flooded in for a day, but thank God they were able to get on the highway this morning and I talked to him while they were on the way back home in TX. So we were really blessed. Thank you for thinking of me and asking.

Guess I'm the chatty one today, but we are that kind of group. :hug::carrot:

Well, DH is probably getting hungry so I better go make lunch. Have a good day.

Pattience
05-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Trish, maybe its more a question of reducing carbs rather than going low as such.

If you have a problem with bread and pasta, why not just ban them from your diet for a period of three or four months while you learn to eat other things instead. And when you bring them back, just allow yourself a particular quantity and along with a meal full of other nutritious things. I have found that after four months i have really improved the quality of my food in terms of nutrition, variety and portions as well as flavour that I am more confident than ever that i can ride out difficult emotional periods and the occasional risky event. I've had a few of those along this journey so far too. And so much of my success is due to me banning refined sugars which are my big weakness.

It seems to me now that when going on a diet, people might probably have more success if they started by focusing on the quality of the foods they eat rather than calorie reduction. Over time your interest in unhealthy foods will grow less. Though i still think it is beneficial to be aware of daily calories and keep a food log.

When you decide you are ready to reduce calories, just reduce them a small amount. This enables you to minimise hunger and control it when it does arise and you'll still lose weight but it will be so much easier. At the same time you have lots of different foods to play with to make your meals more interesting. When you get confident, you can increase the reduction a bit and learn to play with the limits without panicking that you will regain any losses. This last month of easing up on my calorie restriction has really shown me that.

As for portion control, i measure everything and decide in advance how much is probably appropriate. If, at the end of a course i am still hungry, then i would have some fruit and or natural yoghurt depending on what my appetite is like. With the courses situation, i am finding that because they are now quite small, its easy after each course to decide whether i need something else or not. Two days ago i was surprised that i didn't want anything else after the soup. If i still feel unsatisfied, i definitely do have something else and usually its fruit. There's no point in being hungry at the end of a meal.

I also keep a detailed food log. And write out the recipes i make up myself as we'll as those i find from elsewhere. Mostly i cook according to my own recipe as i know that cooking with other recipes isn't something i can sustain day in and day out. However, when i want to make a particular dish, i look around for a good recipe. I will tweak it sometimes, reducing the amount of oil a little or leaving out this or that if i don't have it etc.

In the beginning when i was reducing i stuck with three meals close together and a glass of wine before dinner which i know is not as good as with dinner but it helped with the 4-5pm hunger and quenched my appetite effectively.

Now i seem to be eating between meals a bit more but nearly always its fruit. I seem to never get hungry after dinner now. When i go to town, i tend to get hungry. I usually take fruit in the car and sometimes a sandwich, but I plan on eating a proper meal or salad sandwich if i need to eat something solid. As i usually go out for a whole day or half a day depending on my destination, i have to be prepared for all that. Also i usually find a cappuccino or a cafe latte gives me a good boost of energy from the few calories in the milk. And of course i always try to have a water bottle with me. This way i can avoid running to a junk food outlet and the dissatisfaction and negativity that arises from that.

At home, i drink water and instant coffee with milk (no sugar ) all day long. I rarely drink juices and never sodas. I probably drink more coffee than ideal but coffee is not the evil entity it used to be. Because i drink so much milk and yoghurt i don't even think its a big problem for my calcium levels. I looked into that.

I eat few processed foods. And frozen foods/meals are rare. I've got some vegetable pasties in the freezer for occasions when i'm too tired to cook but i don't even eat one a fortnight. I find most frozen meals a huge let down.

In sum, i believe if you can focus on quality, whole and unprocessed foods, less meat, strict food logging, and frequent monitoring of calories but minimal restriction, you will find it easier. Find replacements for things that cause you problems. The less temptation we surround ourselves with the easier it is to eat according to our needs and not our out of control desires.

pattygirl63
05-01-2014, 11:16 PM
My day was great. I used MFP to set my ratio of protein, carb and fat as best as I could to fit low carb. Not Atkins Induction because of the beans I'm eating, but carbs were less than 40 g and all the other numbers were good as well as sodium and fiber as well as I am doing plenty of exercise as well. So I am extremely happy with my personal plan that I have planned. This is so doable for me as a lifestyle.

Pattience
05-02-2014, 04:16 AM
I'm not going anywhere but i've decided to start another thread which i hope you will join in on as well.

Its about eating vegies and fruit and on it, you can share your vegie eats for the day in the same way that here you register your fibre count. Also share the vegetable recipes you've just tried and anything else vegetable and fruit related. That said, its only going to be about fresh fruit and veg. No frozen or processed things. I'll try to put a link in. I think it will have to go in the food talk forum.

Here's the link. Its on the whole foods and lifestyle forum, not the food talk forum.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/295436-our-daily-fresh-fruit-veg-thread.html

Pattience
05-02-2014, 08:44 PM
https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/prevention/nutrition/galleries/photo/-/23147134/the-truth-behind-food-buzzwords/23147144/

This came up on my yahoo page and it was snappy and interesting. I thought you'd like to read it.

as a result of it, i learnt that perhaps i should try sauerkraut again cause i have constipation issues from my antidepressants. However i've never been really fussed on it in the past so I'm not confident.

I've also decided to formalise what i've been doing pretty much most of the time anyway. I'm having one raw veg meal a day and one cooked veg meal a day. But now with more focus.

I don't really go with the super foods idea. Its just good nutritious food or not so much. I'm not very prone to jumping in to food fads.

I won't both soaking my nuts either as who needs the extra bother. Not sustainable for me. Its enough to soak my beans and lentils ahead of time.

I did see a recipe yesterday on my french women don't get fat website for making my own ricotta cheese that looks very easy. And i want to get back to making my own yoghurt again. Yoghurt is quite expensive here. And now i've realised what i did wrong in the past was not to strain it afterwards. Now i know that's how you get the naturally creamy rich flavour. So i have to try this soon.

I've decided to go see a counsellor again soon to help me with my sewing procrastination. I'm just not doing any work on anything. Very lazy. But i'm not really stressing about it.

From watching my ducks i have noticed that animals and most likely us too, are prone to do nothing when we don't have to. My ducks will spend most of the day supplementing their diet with chasing grains and insects when they had to compete with lots of others for a limited amount of bought food. Now that there are only two left and there is plenty of bought food to go round, they hardly move from their spot all day long. This explains the laziness of cats and dogs too. And lots of us people. Its very hard to motivate ourselves when we are not forced to it. It seems to be nature's way.

Pattience
05-04-2014, 02:09 AM
I made ricotta cheese for the first time ever today. It taste good and it was easy. Though you don't get much cheese out of 3 litres of milk so its just as well milk is cheap these days.

I was going to make the spinach ricotta cannelloni recipe i made right at the beginning of my diet but i picked up the box of cannelloni and realised it was full of cockroaches. Yikes! So there goes that idea. I'm sure i won't have much trouble finding other ways to eat it.

I want to have another go at making yoghurt today too. I just found a new tip to improve it that i haven't tried before, which is to strain it a bit to get a thicker creamier yoghurt. I'm interested to see how that goes, because yoghurt in the shops is not so cheap these days.

Pattience
05-06-2014, 07:47 AM
Hey Ladies, i started running today. It was not on my agenda when i got up this morning but Brandis, another poster, led me down a track that motivated me to go out and run. I can't believe it. I'm so pleased.

I found this little easy training program. And ran 2.5 kms but didn't have to run the whole way.

I got it from this site which has some other interesting tools on it. I learnt about TDEE today. total daily energy expenditure. Look it up on a thread by Brandis to see how she and maybe might use it.
http://www.health-calc.com/diet