Carb Counters - Why are you low carb?

View Full Version : Why are you low carb?

diamondgeog
02-28-2014, 09:54 PM
For me two very important reasons.

First cutting out grains and startchy veggies allowed me for the first time in decades to get my appetite under control. It has been awesome beyond my imagination.

Second it finally allowed my body to start burning stored fat on a regular basis. I went from hating my metabolism to loving it.

Would I, me, myself have succeeded any other way? No I don't think so.

Note I did not give up veggies I eat more than before. But grains are gone, potatoes way down, and fruit very moderate.

It's what has worked for me. And many others. Found out about it from others on the Internet. But everyone needs to find what works for them.

yoyoma
02-28-2014, 10:15 PM
Carefully choosing my carbs and limiting them in general is part of my current recipe for success. I limit my grains to a few heaping tablespoons of brown (well, now black) rice. Haven't had any lentils lately, but would have to do the same with that. Haven't had bread (except for an off-plan day) and won't even eat whole grain bread as part of my usual diet. I don't eat potatoes either. I do eat 2 squares of dark chocolate a day, so there is some sugar in there, but that is at the end of a meal that includes healthy fats, protein, and lots of veggie fiber.

Unfortunately, in my case eating like that is not enough to solve my weight management issues, so I combine it with IF (only eat between 6PM and 8:30). I also have other eating rules thrown in (start with low nutrient density foods, like raw veggies or brothy soup). It's working for me, and I'm a lot happier with this approach than I was with calorie counting (even with careful carb control).

diamondgeog
03-01-2014, 07:42 AM
I think that 'low carb' can help almost anyone. I put that in quotes because veggies are essential and loved by me. And I have dairy and some legumes. I personally find the evidence compelling humans aren't designed to eat grains but everyone needs to decide and figure out for themselves.

But I think low carb is virtually essential if someone is insulin resistant to some degree. I asked Professor Tim Noakes what happens to excess carbs. The standard line is they don't become fat but people do admit with insulin around everything else becomes fat and you never burn your fat.

His response '@ProfTimNoakes: Key is what happens in liver. Insulin resistant turn excess glucose into liver/blood trigs (fat) each time carbs are eaten.'

My wife and my blood work our triglycerides plummeted which is exactly what he predicted, we rarely get hungry anymore because no blood sugar spikes, and belly fat melting away.

Bottomline for me, 'low carb' has given me my health, vitality, energy, and body back And I am also wonderfully free of hunger now. That is why I am low carb.

And the grain free part got rid of my allergies, no more Claritin, and back pain. I urge everyone to at least research going grain free and grain free and allergies. Heart disease and cancer both linked to inflammation. Which eating grains, I believe for me, causes.

sasyblond401
03-01-2014, 08:04 AM
lHi We have been eating Black rice for 7 months...........I love the stuff
Low carb is the only way to lose weight................
I tried on a pair of jeans and they are too big for me now.So happy.
I have lost 11 pounds and many inches------------
Have a good saturday

diamondgeog
03-04-2014, 07:43 AM
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2014/02/24/character-vs-chemistry-part-five/

Very nice series of why Tom Naughton is low carb. It is way more efficient for him. He is working with his body not against it. So better results with less effort and much more sustainable.

I tell people this time weight loss has been 'effortless'. He makes a good point. Starting to give up long time daily favorites is hard. No doubt. It was hard for me. But then many tend to miss them less and less and as he points out, tons of yummy things still available.

DrivenByAmbition
03-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Going gluten-free, by necessity (not choice) just kind of changed my entire thinking on how I eat. I'm kind of low-carb without trying to due this issue. I'm enjoying the health benefits and I am never hungry. Very satisfied with my relationship with food now.

mars735
03-05-2014, 04:06 PM
At a BMI approaching the morbid obesity range, I was in a state of perpetual nagging hunger. Reading about insulin resistance resonated with me so it felt right to go low carb and give my pancreas a rest. The hunger is still easily triggered but nothing like it was. I wouldn't call it easy but it was by far the least difficult and fastest way to lose weight, and keep it off. I work to stay on track in maintenance, but it's getting easier.

time2lose
03-05-2014, 04:39 PM
I tried low carb because a doctor suggested it. I stay low carb because it works for me.

thirti4thirty
03-06-2014, 01:16 AM
I know for a fact that starchy carbs made me fat. I can have them in huge amounts 3 times a day. In my culture we mainly eat starchy carbs with sauces or soups so, it's the main dish, kind of. Whatever can be really called food in my culture is a starchy carb.
I seldom binge, I'm not a sugary food lover, I hate food with loads of fat and have them truly ocCasionaly. However I'm super fat.
So for me slimming down equals reducing my amounts of starchy carbs consumption.

diamondgeog
03-07-2014, 01:28 PM
VERY good series.

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2014/03/04/character-vs-chemistry-part-six/

Six parts, the links to the first five are at the bottom of the page.

Love this series. Especially this one in the middle when he is explaining calorie counting just doesn't work for most people. Hence the yo yo dieting, the non-success, etc. But for a lot of people low carbs does work. It totally transformed not only my weight, but my metabolism, and probably most importantly for long term success my appetite.

time2lose
03-13-2014, 12:08 PM
diamondgeog,
Like you, I have found low carb to work well for me. It seems that I remember from your posts that you don't have to lower your carbs extremely low. Do you mind telling what your daily carb count is? Do you count net carbs or total carbs?

Thank you!

diamondgeog
03-13-2014, 05:21 PM
I actually can't tell you. This whole journey has been without a single day of calorie or carb counting. That is one of the most awesome things about low carb high fat to me. My appetite just naturally went down. So it has been the best daily double of my life: most success ever AND easiest.

I suspect I am between 50 and 125 most days. I've heard anything under 100 puts you in 'weight loss' zone. But I don't think I ever went low into Atkins induction zone.

The other thing is I put muscle on a lot on this eating lifestyle. I suspect I've at least 20 lbs more muscle than May 2013 so I've probably lost over 100 lbs fat already.

Forgot to add so my journey has been about whole foods, drastically reducing processed food, eliminating grains, still eating dairy, especially cheese. And upping saturated fat from coconut oil and grass fed butter. And eliminating vegetable oils except olive.

So once I am making consistent choices in my types of food I haven't had to count anything.

ElizabethLC
03-19-2014, 12:17 PM
One reason I am Low Carb is because I have endomitriosis. Low carb keeps it to a manageable level. I never knew how good "normal" could feel until I tried LC. I feel SO MUCH BETTER. It's a blessing and I am thankful I found it.

I've been low carbing 5.5 years and would never go back to SAD.

MauiKai
03-19-2014, 04:15 PM
It works, that's why.

For me, I could eat very low calories and not see weight loss. But if I switch it to low carbs instead, I lose weight.

It's tough sometimes, because most people, myself included, love bread. (And all the other carby goodness that exists) But for the most part I'm good and I don't have any "panic and binge eat" episodes eating this way.

Also liked Fathead.

time2lose
03-26-2014, 09:20 AM
diamondgeog, Thank you for answering my questions.

I was doing very well with low carb and then, for some unknown reason, decided that it was time to add some carbs back in. Just a little, nothing like the amount of carbs that I ate before going low carb. I bet you low carbers know what happened. Yep, the hunger and cravings came back and I started struggling.

So for a week or two I have decided to concentrate on going very low carb. I am not also counting calories as I normally do and am allowing myself all the protein and fat that I want. After the carb cravings are gone, I will start back also counting calories. As a short mature women, I have found that I can easily consume too many calories even when going low carb. Getting the cravings under control is the first issue to address, however.

diamondgeog
03-26-2014, 06:28 PM
You're welcome Cheryl.

My wife and I are both LCHF now. Perhaps because I have been on it longer I can virtually have any carbs and be OK with control. They bloat me and make me feel heavy but they aren't triggers anymore.

She still has to stay away. A Trader Joes just opened in Austin and both being from California we had to go. We bought some dark, 85% cocoa, chocolate. I was fine with a little square every night or two. But even a little was really triggering her and she was having more than she wanted to.

Keep tweeking. You'll get back then go further.

Shannonsnail
03-28-2014, 03:07 PM
I am just getting started so I can't really say that I am already low carb but my reasons for starting are as an approach to my binge eating issues that have been ongoing almost 15 years and because I am prediabetic/transitioning to diabetic.

love2b150
03-28-2014, 10:14 PM
I'm low carb because it works for me. I found out after our church consecration that I don't have any control over carbs, they control me. I tried to do the cheat day on the Tim Ferriss Slow Carb 4-hour body and it turned into three cheat days. So I am low carb because I have to be on this journey and I am diabetic so it works :)

Pattience
03-28-2014, 10:49 PM
For sure carbs will make you fat if you overeat. Overeating anything will make you fat.

And you don't have to be insulin resistant for excess carbs to be turned into fat. Its what happens. Its the way our bodies work.

I am curious. What percentage of your daily diet is carbs. Have any of you done the numbers?

diamondgeog
03-29-2014, 07:06 AM
Pattience not me. One of the awesome things about low carb is I haven't had to do any counting or any label reading the past 10 months. I obviously choose foods low in carbs but I don't micro manage.

I guess it is as close as you can get to intuitive eating.

I eat predominantly whole foods. People don't emphasize this is the base of any good diet. I get my veggies, fats, best quality meats, cheeses, and its simple and effortless at this point.

One thing I just found out about is resistant starch. People should Google it. It goes to the gut to feed our good bacteria. I am using raw potato starch in drinks. Not awesome to drink. But I am going to try for a couple of weeks, see how it goes.

I am in Onederland BTW. First time since high school and I am 48. At early 30s I was 340 and could barely walk. Now I run 3 miles routinely 2 or 3 times a week.

Pattience
03-29-2014, 08:12 AM
You might not even be low carb then since you don't know what percentage carbs are in your diet.

I think a lot of people do emphasise whole foods. You may not be aware of it though. I emphasise them and most of what i eat is whole foods. I think its mainly bread, pasta and vegemite that i eat that is not a whole food, maybe also cheese and yoghurt, butter, and probably the odd other small thing but most of what i eat is whole food.

diamondgeog
03-29-2014, 08:25 AM
While I don't need to count, I am grain free. So yes, I am pretty sure I am low carb. At worse under 100 grams a day on average.

Am I super low like Atkins some phases? No.

And what I meant was when people hear Atkins, Paleo, Primal they think a lot of things. But at their heart is whole foods and veggies.

love2b150
03-29-2014, 09:46 AM
I am in Onederland BTW. First time since high school and I am 48. At early 30s I was 340 and could barely walk. Now I run 3 miles routinely 2 or 3 times a week.

:congrat: on Onederland and running :high:

Shannonsnail
03-29-2014, 10:09 AM
:congrat: on Onederland and running :high:

I second that! What an accomplishment!!

Pattience
03-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Sorry to keep on banging on, but its only a percentage that matters. If you are eating less than 100g of carbs, you could still be eating only 20grams of protein or 300g of protein.

Ok i can see you don't care to go and work it out but it would be interesting to know from where i sit.

So i'll let it go.

diamondgeog
03-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the compliments.

Pattience I don't mean to be unhelpful. I don't even count portion size. But I will give you an average day.

Breakfast 'bulletproof' coffee. Say 8 ounce coffee with a tablespoon of grass fed butter and tablespoon of coconut oil. A 'healthy skoop' breakfast drink. I think 6 carbs. Sometimes 1 egg.

Lunch. Say 3 ounces of turkey breast, 2 ounces of hard cheese, 5 grape tomatoes, carrot, bell pepper.

Dinner 6 ounce grass fed steak, spinach salad, flaxseed oil and vinegar dressing, 4 ounces asaparagus. Often a decaf bulletproof coffee. And a little half and half each time. Sometimes say 3 ounces of cottage cheese with 4 raspberries for a snack.

Sheena82
04-16-2014, 07:16 AM
I low carb because it helps me control hunger, I am simply not hungry all the time anymore, I found on low cal that I was a bit miserable at 1200 calories. I'm not knocking it, I lost two stone calorie counting which was great but I found it harder than what I'm doing now. I think I have more stalls this way but its easier for me to maintain because of the appetite suppressing effect.

I both low carb and count calories I also believe sugar is awful for you (doesn't mean I don't love it!!), we have a lot of diabetes in the family so that's another motivator.

Pattience, you were asking about macros, to give you an example (as I track) yesterday I ended up at

fat 56% 55g
carbs 14% 30g
protein 30% 75g

I've rounded the numbers, but the calorie logging tool i use doesn't work the net carb into my % and only uses total carbs.

the range can be anywhere from
20-35% protein
55-75% fat
5-15% carbs

not militant about hitting % figures but I tend to watch my carbs and try to make sure protein doesn't go below 55g

Matilda08
05-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Mainly because that is the only time I lose is when I watch carb intake

Novus
05-08-2014, 02:21 PM
I eat low-carb because it's the only thing that works for me, both for weight loss and for overall health.

Several years ago, when I first realized I had to do something about my weight, "whole grains" was the big health thing. I transitioned from "white stuff" to "brown stuff"....and gained 30 pounds in less than two months! WTH? This led me to do a lot of research and a lot of experimenting. I've learned that...

I'm wheat intolerant. I stop eating wheat and a million unpleasant symptoms vanish, practically overnight.

My body hates all grain carbs, not just wheat.

Severely limiting my grain intake helps me control my appetite and my blood sugar. I have insulin resistance, so my blood sugar tends to skyrocket and plummet with alarming rapidity, unless I'm eating properly.

I also have to eat protein when I eat carbs, to manage my blood sugar.

I cannot go Atkins low with carbs. I begin to feel ill in multiple ways without adequate fruits and veggies.

My "magic formula" is <100 grams carbs I lose weight, 100 grams of carbs I maintain, >100 grams carbs I gain weight. The one caveat to that, though, is that the carbs have to come primarily from veggies, fruit, and dairy. Too many grains, no matter the carb count, stalls my weight loss and ultimately makes me gain.

These are my target numbers:
Carbs - 20% = 60-77
Protein - 30% = 90-116
Fat - 50% = 65-86

Satine
05-08-2014, 03:03 PM
I am low carb due to diabetes type 2 ...eating low carb is the only way to keep my blood sugar in line without having to start insulin at some point ( right now just on pills ). Also I could never lose any good amount of weight and keep it off while eating sugar and starches.
Also of course I am gonna feel so much better and have more energy when my blood sugar is in line...I've been feeling really good.

I eat "clean", meaning I do not eat anything processed ...don't eat sugar or starches either ...lots of meat, veggies, and occasional fruit ...and dairy on occasion ...not gonna say this choice has been easy but my body is getting used to it ( been 2.5 months now ) and I'm seeing not only the scale number come down but also my body changing ...also my A1C is perfect and so are my other numbers...

I will say my tryglicerides are always a little high, so I'm hoping following this diet can lower them by the next time I get them checked. Before I started eating this way they were hanging around 299.

Satine
05-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Also, and most important ( haha ) I like not having to count calories or points or anything else ...too stressful

berryblondeboys
05-08-2014, 03:07 PM
I started eating low carb because I got gestational diabetes when I was pregnant. It felt awful. Then a couple years ago I found out my blood sugar was way high due to my thyroid. I started eating low carb and noticed I just felt better overall. At the time I was eating 100 net grams or less.

This time I'm eating Lower carb even more and I'm finding if I keep it under 40-60 grams I do better and need to eat less. Percentage wise it's about 1/4 to 1/3 of my calories. It's pretty evenly split between days, proteins and fats, or slightly higher on fats

JerseyGyrl
05-08-2014, 04:55 PM
After reading Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, I decided this was a plan I could do for life. That was 10 years ago and still going strong:carrot:

jmh6251
05-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Because I have tried just counting calories and it doesn't work. I am hungry all the time, and always dreaming about my next meal. With this I can eat then continue my life, (PERFECT)