South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 01:41 PM   #1  

Default New here - what a wonderful site!

New here and this is a great site! I've been following SBD since
7/11 and doing really well on it. I have alot to lose, and I'm a slow loser, but one day at a time
Patty
Old 07-14-2003, 02:01 PM   #2  
it's always something

Welcome to 3FC! It's good to hear from another person that is doing well on this diet. Losing slow is ok, and probably best anyway!
Old 07-14-2003, 02:15 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, Patty! Keep it up!!!
Old 07-14-2003, 04:15 PM   #4  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Good job, and good luck!! Like Suzanne said, slower is better in the long run. Anyway, if this is a lifetime WOE, it will happen!!! I'm like you...slow and steady.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:58 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome, Patty. You'll like it here. The whole 3FC site is full of good stuff and lots of support.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:31 PM   #6  
Big Looser Wannabe

Default Welcome Patty!

I'm new here too but agree with you, this site is great! These folks are very welcoming and supportive.

See ya' round!

Tracey
Old 07-14-2003, 05:43 PM   #7  
GARDENING ADDICT

Thumbs down

WELCOME TO THE BEACH, PATTY
Old 07-14-2003, 11:54 PM   #8  

Hey Patty,
You'll be glad you joined. These women are great, and they are funny too!!! I'm still new, so I'm still asking a lot of questions, but a lot of people here know a lot about this diet, and are glad to help you out any time!!!
Old 07-15-2003, 01:44 AM   #9  

Welcome Patty and Tracey...you'll love it here...I've been on the beach since May 12th. I love it and have accepted this as my way of life now. You will too!

Looking forward to knowing both of you.

Meg
Old 07-16-2003, 10:04 AM   #10  

Default Three days into it

This is the beginning of my fourth day and I haven't gotten on the scale yet. I've been doing WW but I think I don't do well even if I stay within the points range because it allows me to eat whatever I want. No more "Special K" bars. I was eating whole bags of soy crisps No many points but I think it probably converts to sugar very quickly. Anyway I'm on a beta-blocker and even though all the research I've done says that it doesn't slow your metabolism I can't help but wonder. I've done Atkins for a quick fix before my daughter's wedding and it worked for that but I don't think it could be good to eat all that saturated fat. I'm at 195 and want to lose 50 lbs. I need to not worry about how long this is going to take but I do want to see something encouraging soon. Are there any big losers out there?
Old 07-16-2003, 10:28 AM   #11  

Default Three days into it

This is the beginning of my fourth day and I haven't gotten on the scale yet. I've been doing WW but I think I don't do well even if I stay within the points range because it allows me to eat whatever I want. No more "Special K" bars. I was eating whole bags of soy crisps No many points but I think it probably converts to sugar very quickly. Anyway I'm on a beta-blocker and even though all the research I've done says that it doesn't slow your metabolism I can't help but wonder. I've done Atkins for a quick fix before my daughter's wedding and it worked for that but I don't think it could be good to eat all that saturated fat. I'm at 195 and want to lose 50 lbs. I need to not worry about how long this is going to take but I do want to see something encouraging soon. Are there any big losers out there?
Old 07-16-2003, 10:29 AM   #12  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, Hangtough!
Ummm, what do you mean by "big losers"?
I've lost 15 pounds so far. I've got about 40 to go.
I hope you like "the diet"!
Old 07-16-2003, 10:33 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome, Hangtough. Most of us are Big Loser Wannabes! I've been over 200 for more than 15 years but this plan is working for me.

Hope to get to know you better soon. (We Canadians cultivate Americans who live in the warm part of this continent. We get really sucky starting in December. Do you have a spare room?)
Old 07-16-2003, 10:46 AM   #14  
it's always something

Hi hangtough, and welcome to 3FC

I'm on beta blockers too, and I've had 3 physicians over the years tell me that it does affect my metabolism and that weight would be an issue for me. Beta blockers can increase insulin resistance. There are different types of beta blockers, though, and I've heard that beta-1 blockers may not affect either.

A diet such as the SBD can be perfect for us because it was developed by a cardiologist and one of the goals of the plan is to reduce insulin resistance.

Good luck
Old 07-16-2003, 11:35 AM   #15  

Default Thanks you guys.

Thanks for your warm welcome. Suzanne it was very good to hear that there is someone else dealing with the frustration about medicine changing your metabolism. I got the feeling that people think I must be cheating because I've been on WW for 3 months and my weight has bounced around and not gone down more than 5 or 6 lbs. Then I get discouraged and I wouldn't stick to the plan for a while. Well when I read the book I started thinking maybe the insulin issue is a problem for me. I'm addicted to crackers, rolls, mashed potatoes, etc. I would stick within WW points range with the carbs but I wasn't seeing a weight loss. I've been on Atenenol about 9 months now and I've gained 10 lbs since I started. I have PSAT and the Atenenol is to try to control the palpitations and reduce the frequency of the episodes. My mom has this also. I've struggled with it since I was 20 years old. I'm nearly 47 now. I didn't take anything for years and then the docs put me on Digoxin. My new cardiologist told me he didn't think that would do any good and switched me to the beta blocker.
Closed Thread