Old 02-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #1  
Taking it day by day!

S/C/G: 185/176/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Help! Do IP Restricted foods trigger something in YOU too??

Hey There IP Peeps! It's been awhile since my last post, I miss this forum and all of the fantastic info I get from EVERYONE so much. Here I am, back to the boards and loving it.

I am in the midst of a re-boot and I think I came to a point where restricted foods (1 per day) were trigger foods for me. I understand they are restricted for a reason but they are still allowed. Once enjoyed, I would continue to think about food and I believe my cravings increased. Does this happen to anyone else? I used to think that I could enjoy the restricted items and that was my treat for the day BUT, I think I am going to go one month sans restricted and see what happens. Afterwards, I'll reintroduce to like 1-2 / week.

Has anyone else experienced such cravings? Does anyone stay away from restricted in Phase 1? Or, do you prefer to limit to a few times / wk? What is YOUR preference and how do you intend to navigate through IP?

Happy Friday All!!

Last edited by KareVT; 02-28-2014 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Typo in title: Help! Do IP Restricted foods trigger something in YOU too??
KareVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #2  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Hey KareVT, I found restricted foods to trigger addictions in me as well. And didn't or couldn't lose weight while eating them. That might be just me though. My restricted food were the white cheddar crisps which had a lot of sodium -- and I seem to be very sensitive to sodium. Also I found they tasted TOO GOOD and made me want more. I find it much easier to diet without restricted foods as part of my regimen. Though that is just my personal experience, and not a generalization for the group!

Last edited by Avalon1957; 02-28-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #3  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Hi KarenVT! I realized some months ago that I was looking forward to the restricteds just a little too much so I cut them down for a couple of months just to kind of reset my brain. I didn't notice any difference in my weight loss one way or another and have been adding them back in but noticed they don't cause the same feelings any more - I don't start thinking first thing in the a.m. about when I can have them any more.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #4  
Taking it day by day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957 View Post
Hey KareVT, I found restricted foods to trigger addictions in me as well. And didn't or couldn't lose weight while eating them. That might be just me though. My restricted food were the white cheddar crisps which had a lot of sodium -- and I seem to be very sensitive to sodium. Also I found they tasted TOO GOOD and made me want more. I find it much easier to diet without restricted foods as part of my regimen. Though that is just my personal experience, and not a generalization for the group!
Hi Avalon1957 - great to hear from you and know that you're still on the boards! Thanks for the share. My restricted food were the chocolate bars and as Ruth Ann mentions below, I started looking forward to those every AM and it became a little obsessive (hate that). Interesting about how the cheddar crisps made you react but understand why additional sodium would inhibit loss. And, I agree, because this was my only treat of the day, the bars started to taste WAY TOO GOOD and bang, I wanted more.. Eek!

I am VERY curious to check things out for a week (to start) and reflect on how I am day-to-day minus the restricted treat. Thankfully, I really like the vanilla pudding (non-restricted) so that will be a nice substitute.

Have a great day and thanks again!

-Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Hi KarenVT! I realized some months ago that I was looking forward to the restricteds just a little too much so I cut them down for a couple of months just to kind of reset my brain. I didn't notice any difference in my weight loss one way or another and have been adding them back in but noticed they don't cause the same feelings any more - I don't start thinking first thing in the a.m. about when I can have them any more.
Hi Ruth Ann - so lovely to hear from you too!! Love how all my IP buds are so super supportive, thank you all (you know who you are)

You are fortunate that you figured out sooner rather than later that restricted items were No Bueno. Those feelings that come with a sugar spike are evil and hard to battle So, eliminating them for a little bit will be a great experiment for me. And, as with you, I saw myself thinking about my restricted first thing in the AM as well and holy smokes, I don't want to be driven by food anymore.

I understand everyone is different and respect each person's individual IP experience; ten fold.. I think the interesting part of "dieting" and eating right is to understand what triggers are and how healthy foods and planning make one feel. I want to focus on that for the week... Healthy foods and IP planning.

Here it goes... Best to ALL. And, thanks again everyone for the continued and invaluable support!
Old 02-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #5  

Karen: they taste like more to me, too.
It doesn't matter if it's bars or salty crunchy.
I can buy one and have it but I still want more and then have cravings. Better off without. Didn't start until about 6 or 7 months into IP. At first, restricteds were a godsend for me.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I can buy one and have it but I still want more and then have cravings. Better off without. Didn't start until about 6 or 7 months into IP. At first, restricteds were a godsend for me.
This info is perfect timing for me! I seem to be craving these too much lately as well and feel like I am definately bloated. I will try and eliminate and see how I'm affected.
Hawaii69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

KareVT - I have never compared my weight loss on restricted vs no restricted for two reasons. Anything I would do would be so unscientific it would be pointless and two, I know myself well enough to know that for now I need to keep those sort of things away from my mouth!

That is not to say that I COULD not keep them in the house and dole them out sparingly, I just know that certain tastes activate a fake "hunger" in me and I cannot stop rating. Ergo, no restricted for me for now.

The good side of that is that I have discovered that I can honestly and truly look forward to roasted cabbage for dinner with almost the same enthusiasm. I have surprised myself in what I love to eat now.
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #8  
maintaining since 9/2013

Default restricteds are like crack cocoaine

Add me to the list! I avoided them the entire time on IP except BBQ soynuts. Now I WI once every month or two and treat my self to a few of these and each time, i eat them all before I even get home.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 236/236/170

Height: 5'9"

I notice that I'm thinking about my chocolate soy puffs all day. I won't eat it as a snack if I'm hungry because I "need" it as my night snack. I might want to rethink this treat as well.
Staceyhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #10  
Taking it day by day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Hi There Lisa - oh, it's lovely to hear from you too! And, it's great to hear your feedback, as well. I am in the "STILL WANT MORE" camp and that's amazing, you totally nailed it, because these feelings hit me 6 months into the program. Agreed, the restricted items were a godsend for me, as well, in the beginning and now they've taken on a whole new meaning. I'm going to see how my body starts to react without them. Again, I think I'll experiment for a week and circle back. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii69 View Post
This info is perfect timing for me! I seem to be craving these too much lately as well and feel like I am definately bloated. I will try and eliminate and see how I'm affected.
Hi Hawaii69 - oh that's great to hear, I like when other people are having similar thoughts - uncanny that it's hitting at the same time but, fortuitous just the same because now we can talk about it, digest, make an action plan and move on... I feel bloated when I eat that stuff too. Remember, it's not that we CAN'T have the restricted, it's all personal choice. Whenever I say I CAN'T have something, I want it all the more. Now I'm just tricking myself and saying, I don't want that restricted item for now. We'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed that it takes the cravings away completely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
KareVT - I have never compared my weight loss on restricted vs no restricted for two reasons. Anything I would do would be so unscientific it would be pointless and two, I know myself well enough to know that for now I need to keep those sort of things away from my mouth!

That is not to say that I COULD not keep them in the house and dole them out sparingly, I just know that certain tastes activate a fake "hunger" in me and I cannot stop rating. Ergo, no restricted for me for now.

The good side of that is that I have discovered that I can honestly and truly look forward to roasted cabbage for dinner with almost the same enthusiasm. I have surprised myself in what I love to eat now.
Hellooooo Schenectady - great to hear from you, as well! Gosh, so many great points here too. Agreed, the trigger of the fake hunger gets me all the time. That was a perfect way to describe it. I'm in your camp, I'm going to forego the restricted stuff for now. In the beginning, like Lisa and I both shared, they were great and served a wonderful purpose / filled a void (for me) but now, I can't help myself and it just escalates my taste buds to a different dimension and I want even MORE sugar. Oy vey, not good. Not good at all.

I love cabbage as well.. You must share your recipe sometime. I've been doing a mini stir fry, spraying the pan with pam and tossing in some broccoli, cabbage and whatever other veggies I have. It's so lovely and VERY filling when you top it off with 8oz of protein. Thanks for the share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
Add me to the list! I avoided them the entire time on IP except BBQ soynuts. Now I WI once every month or two and treat my self to a few of these and each time, i eat them all before I even get home.
Hi Mars - See, you're not alone whatsoever! Interesting how you too have avoided them on IP the entire time. The soynuts, haven't tried those but I bet they offer a nice crunch element. Maybe I'll get back to a point when I can sneak one or two in a week but for now, I think it's best to eliminate.
Thanks for the share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staceyhay View Post
I notice that I'm thinking about my chocolate soy puffs all day. I won't eat it as a snack if I'm hungry because I "need" it as my night snack. I might want to rethink this treat as well.
Hey Staceyhay - omg, those choc soy puffs are soooooo good and remind me of tiny malt balls (love malt balls). They triggered me wanted more sugar especially. I thought that because there were so many of them that the quantity would help me savor every morsel but nope, I just wanted more; eek! Smart idea to leave them as your last nightly snack but can be dangerous... Good luck!