100 lb. Club - Jillian Michaels 30 day shred

View Full Version : Jillian Michaels 30 day shred

MandyLamy
02-27-2014, 05:36 PM
So I'm thinking of doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I found it for free on Youtube. Have any of you done it and got good results? Oh and if you did do it did you have any break days or did you go straight through with no breaks.

MandyLamy
02-28-2014, 02:27 AM
Well today was Day 1 and it sure kicked my butt. I made it through it tho :) I will probably update through out the 30 days if anyone is interested in knowing how it goes.

SW:253
Day 1 Level 1: complete

hamlette
03-01-2014, 03:42 AM
Do share your results mandy... im very interested in trying it out.. Are your taking measurements as well?

MandyLamy
03-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Yes I am :) I will probably measure at the 10 day, 20 day, and 30 day mark.
Starting measurements :
Right Arm-14in
Left Arm-13in
Right Leg (thigh)-26in
Left Leg (thigh)-27in
Upper Waist(smallest part)-42in
Lower Waist(largest part)-53in

February 28~
Day 2 Level 1: Complete, It was pretty hard because I was so sore from the day before but I pushed through!

amandie
03-01-2014, 10:33 AM
I have and the first time I tried it, I definitely took breaks, modifications and could not use weights at first, lol. I still have yet to complete it, thee was always something preventing me from finishing it. My goal is to complete the whole thing.

You will see results body-wise, scale, not so much. I love it and would recommend it to anyone

Good luck!!!

MandyLamy
03-01-2014, 10:49 AM
awesome! Thanks amandie I have to follow the easier modifications (the push ups etc.) But, I have been using the weights. Although yesterday my arms felt like they were going to fall off! I hope its better today lol.

hamlette
03-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Good luck Mandy... really interested in the inches lost, arms especially.. at 174 my arms are 15 inches. .. disproportionately huge :( although I still have lots to lose I need a ray of hope that my upper arm size will go down

MandyLamy
03-02-2014, 01:57 AM
Day 3 Level 1: complete :carrot:

amandie
03-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Way to go, Mandy!!!

Martine
03-04-2014, 10:53 AM
MandyLamy, I commend you for doing this series of workouts. I tried it for the first time today, and I found it very demanding, especially since I haven't exercised at all in close to a year now. I did have to modify some exercises, for example I can't do push ups of any kind on the floor, not even on my knees (knees hurt), so I do them standing up against a wall. But I stuck with it till the end and I'm glad I did. Keep us posted on your progress and results!

MandyLamy
03-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Thank you Martine :) I will! I'm defiantly seeing progress already. I almost got through the whole workout without stopping :) I'm still doing the modified versions. I plan on measuring myself and weighing myself on day 10, day 20, and day 30.

MandyLamy
03-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Hello everyone! Today is Day 10 Level 1 of my 30 day shred. I figured I would stop in and give an update :) Tomorrow I start Level 2 and I'm a bit nervous haha! :^:

CW:249

Measurements :
Starting: Right Arm-14in Current: Right Arm- 13in
Starting: Left Arm-13in Current: Left Arm-13in
Starting: Right Leg (thigh)-26in Current: Right Leg (thigh)- 26in
Starting: Left Leg (thigh)-27in Current: Left Leg (thigh)- 26.5in
Starting: Upper Waist(smallest part)-42in Current: Upper Waist (smallest part)- 39in
Starting: Lower Waist(largest part)-53in Current: Lower Waist(largest part)-50in

amandie
03-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Mandy- don't be nervous. If anything, I thought Level 2 was easier for me and I started out with that because I couldn't even get through Level 1, lol. But this time I will be starting with the first level.

Keep up the great work, you're doing awesome!

ILoveVegetables
03-10-2014, 11:50 PM
Thanks for doing this and posting regular updates, Mandy. I've been thinking about trying it out soon and it's a huge help to hear of someone else's results :)

Paisleymama
03-11-2014, 12:30 AM
I have it on DVD and it's staring me in the face.
I want to try it to tone up. Do keep us posted!

MandyLamy
03-11-2014, 02:59 PM
amandie That's a relief haha. I start level 2 today so hopefully all goes well :) Goodluck on your shred journey and feel free to post here and give updates as well if you like! :D

ILoveVegetables Awesome! You should definitely give it a try. You can find Level 1 on youtube for free but, if you want level 2 and 3 you need the DVD I got mine off amazon for like $7 :) The workout goes by so quickly its awesome.

Paisleymama You should give it a go! :)

I've been sick these past couple of days but, I've made sure to push through and not miss a day because I want to get the full effect of the workout!
Level 2 here I come:carrot::carrot::carrot:

Paulitens
03-11-2014, 04:43 PM
I never made it past level 1. LOL. It was like I never did level 1 without any modifications and taking breaks here and there. I think it was a mixture of being afraid to have my butt kicked if I moved up to level 2, and barely surviving my level 1 sessions.

xRiotGirl
03-11-2014, 09:57 PM
I just read somewhere that you should change your workout up every 4 weeks or so, and Friday will finish up my 4th week of all Zumba workouts. I think I might do this next! I don't really get much strength training benefits out of Zumba, so this might be good for a change of pace. :D

Thanks Mandy for your updates, I have only been considering this program for the past, like, year because I was afraid I would suffer through it and not see results, but you restore my faith! That is some awesome progress for just 10 days! Keep it up girl!

MandyLamy
03-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Day 1 Level 2 COMPLETE! :) I'll be so glad when I'm over being sick and get my full energy back. It was pretty brutal but, I made it through only taking a couple of breaks. amandie you were right Level 2 seems a lot easier than Level 1 haha.
Paulitens I think level 2 is easier than level 1 :D lol the push ups really kicked my butt in level 1
xRiotGirl This workout is really good for strength! I already have little baby arm muscles haha. You should definitely give it a go :) I like updating you guys it helps keep me accountable.

Paulitens
03-12-2014, 12:34 AM
Say what!? I feel like I have been kept from the gold of pot at the end of the rainbow. Why, oh why? Why is Level 1 harder? What the heck?

MandyLamy
03-12-2014, 01:08 AM
LOL I know right? I don't get it either. I thought it was suppose to get more challenging but, I found it a lot easier (still pouring sweat in the end none the less)

Paulitens
03-12-2014, 11:38 AM
I will try it again when I shed all my weight. Ideal Protein doesn't require a lot of work out and I'm okay with that because I'm a couch potato. LOL. That's why I chose IP! But I will get to that at one point; right now I'm okay doing my squat challenge.

:broc:

Velvet bean
03-14-2014, 03:13 PM
I tried it today and did Level 1 and Level 2 one after the other. Itís very intense, sweat ran down my face and back and legs in less than 10minutes! On her website it says, that you burn 3,267kcal per pound per hour in the 30-day shred. Sounds great!

Even though I liked the workout a lot and Iíll be doing it again soon, Iím not as fond of Jillian as a person. She has a face that makes her look kind of angry all the time (maybe itís the eyebrows?) and she seemed a little abusive to me in The Biggest Loser. Maybe they made her look that way, I donít know. Plus, in the video she keeps saying, sheís not flexible Ė Iím not sure whatís up with that. It doesnít make me feel good about my flexibility at all. :dizzy:

MandyLamy
03-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Velvet bean Wow I don't think I could ever go through both back to back haha. I just finished Day 4 Level 2 :) I'm feeling great so far and I actually think I'm starting to see a difference in my body. I'm not a fan of her on the show she scares me haha but, I do like her in the DVD. I find her motivating. Kudos to you for making it through level 1 and 2 back to back though! you go girl :carrot:

Velvet bean
03-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Do you think the 30-days in the title indicate that you have to do it every day or just 30 times (not very far apart)? I have this information in my head that you are not supposed to do the same work out two days in a row, because itís not optimal for growing muscle and can lead to injury. If nothing else, I get tired of the same video over and over Ė so I think she had a good idea to make three levels of the shred. :)

Thanks, MandyLamy! You're doing even a better job with sticking to it. ;) I was so sore the next day I had troubles getting out of bed in the morning. I think Iíll do it 2-3 times per week and other exercises in between.

Earthling
03-16-2014, 02:03 PM
I also have tried the shred. (I tried it on a day that I was snowed in and couldn't get to the gym)
I credit it with getting me started in weightlifting.
It's a great way to get some basic moves down, like how to perform a squat or a lunge, what types of ab moves there are and what kind of form you should be looking for. Perfect for beginners interested in increasing muscle tone.
But I didn't do it everyday and once I got into weightlifting, I didn't require it at all. But the video definitely started the ball rolling for me and it was a god send :)

MandyLamy
03-16-2014, 04:27 PM
I found the first 3 days were the worst but after that it started to fade. I don't think it matters if you do the full 30 back to back or if you split it up :) I'm personally doing it 30 days no stopping. (On Level 2 Day 16 now) I haven't had any problems yet but, I won't hesitate if I start feeling burnt out I will add some rest days but for now I'm good! I'm hoping this will lead to helping me transition in to weight lifting when I'm finished. I did read if you are doing major weight lifting to take breaks in between but, I don't know if I'd consider this DVD major weight lifting since I do the modified versions of a lot of the moves. At the end of the day I'm getting results and feelings great and that's all that matters yeah? :D

MarliQQ
03-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Do you think the 30-days in the title indicate that you have to do it every day or just 30 times (not very far apart)? I have this information in my head that you are not supposed to do the same work out two days in a row, because it’s not optimal for growing muscle and can lead to injury. If nothing else, I get tired of the same video over and over – so I think she had a good idea to make three levels of the shred. :)

JM admits that it is a marketing ploy, she actually suggested in an interview, that an ideal week on the program would look like this: 2days 30DS, 1day cardio, 2days 30DS, Rest day.

I too am doing 30DS as part of my workout plan. I however, have bumped it up from 10 days per level to 15 days. I alternate 3days 30DS with 1day of cardio. I also want to note that on those 3days of 30DS I combine it with other exercise, because 30min just feels too short. Rest days are not built in simply because of my preference, but I have taken about a week's worth of rest days since I started 30DS on Jan. 15--Yes, I have been doing it that long :dizzy:. It has certainly been a great journey :).

Good luck to you guys starting out

oh and as a side note I do NOT suggest listening to JM EVERY SINGLE TIME. I only heard her voice on the first day of each level for instruction, after that, I mute her and play music.
And also, I think all 3 levels are on youtube as I have been told, if not, I heard people were getting it dirt cheap on amazon.

MandyLamy
03-20-2014, 09:19 PM
So today is Day 10 of Level 2 (total of 20/30 days so far) I'm feeling great! I'm seeing changes and its wonderful! I'm going to move on to level 3 tomorrow and if its too hard I will stay with level 2 but, I'm going to try :D Here are my updated measurements.
CW:247
Measurements :
Starting: Right Arm-14in Current: Right Arm- 12in
Starting: Left Arm-13in Current: Left Arm- 12in
Starting: Right Leg (thigh)-26in Current: Right Leg- 25in
Starting: Left Leg (thigh)-27in Current: Left Leg- 25.5in
Starting: Upper Waist(smallest part)-42in Current: Upper Waist- 39in
Starting: Lower Waist(largest part)-53in Current: Lower Waist- 49in

amandie
03-20-2014, 09:38 PM
That is amazing progress!!! You go, girl!!! :carrot:

MandyLamy
03-21-2014, 02:59 AM
Thank you amandie <3

hamlette
03-21-2014, 03:01 AM
Great going Mandy!!!! You're such an inspiration!

Slimjem
03-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Keep up the great work, MandyLamy! Looking at different workout video recommendations and this has been a good review of it. Thanks for sharing your progress.

MandyLamy
03-22-2014, 07:57 PM
hamlette Thank you! :)

Slimjem You're welcome! I really recommend it. It's been amazing and the video is so quick :) Level 1 is on Youtube for free if you want to give it a try ;)

MandyLamy
03-30-2014, 05:57 PM
So today is Day 10 of level 3. Day 30 of my 30 day shred. My overall review of this is a 10/10! It went by so quickly and I'd recommend it to anyone. I saw a lot of changes in my body and I'm happy with the results. If you have any question just let me know and I'll answer the best I can. Hear are my final measurements.
CW:245.5
(-7.5)
Measurements :
Starting: Right Arm-14in Current: Right Arm- 12in (-2)
Starting: Left Arm-13in Current: Left Arm- 12in (-1)
Starting: Right Leg (thigh)-26in Current: Right Leg- 24in (-2)
Starting: Left Leg (thigh)-27in Current: Left Leg- 25in (-2)
Starting: Upper Waist(smallest part)-42in Current: Upper Waist- 38in (-4)
Starting: Lower Waist(largest part)-53in Current: Lower Waist- 48in (-5)

ILoveVegetables
03-31-2014, 04:11 AM
Congratulations on sticking with it throughout. The results are great :D

Did you follow any particular diet during this time?

MandyLamy
03-31-2014, 04:36 PM
ILoveVegetables Thanks :) I just ate semi healthy and counted calories.