Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-26-2014, 05:12 AM   #1  

Default Overweight and diabetic.

Hi EveryoneI have just joined. I wondered if there was anyone diabetic who is struggling like me to diet. I need to eat fairly regular and at these times I am eating bread, wholemeal about six slices a day. Now I need to get off this and go to something else as i am just not losing weight.

I have to be careful eating too much rice, pasta and potatoes as they contain starch as you know. Any one got any ideas on what else I can eat
lindabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #2  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabean View Post
Hi EveryoneI have just joined. I wondered if there was anyone diabetic who is struggling like me to diet. I need to eat fairly regular and at these times I am eating bread, wholemeal about six slices a day. Now I need to get off this and go to something else as i am just not losing weight.

I have to be careful eating too much rice, pasta and potatoes as they contain starch as you know. Any one got any ideas on what else I can eat
I too have been diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. The best advice I can give is go see a nutritionist or dietitian I went and she helped me a lot, I more or less knew what to eat but did not know how many carbs per day, etc. My doctor wrote me a "prescription" so my insurance would pay. There is also a forum here for diabetes. God Bless.
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi Lindabean!!

I was dx'd with diabetes last May and decided it was time to get things under control. I researched and found a forum for diabetes. I learned that in order to get it under control I had to test my blood sugar often. This meant I bought my own meter (doctors routinely prescibe less strips to T2 diabetics with orders to check one time daily)at Walmart (the relion brand is inexpensive and the strips are cheap too)

I cut the carbs and test new foods at 1 - 2 hours after I eat. Bread, even good whole wheat bread is very very carby, sub it out with low carb wraps. Fruit is higher in carbs and has to be monitored. Most of us T2's spike easily in the morning so we stick to higher protein breakfasts and leave the toast and hashbrowns off.

After a couple of months cutting the carbs, my blood sugar stabilized and has gotten near normal levels. I went gluten free about 5 months ago and really saw a difference in the weight loss especially around my stomach.

My goal is to keep my blood sugar as close to normal as possible and with some meds and diet I've been able to do that! Good luck!
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

There are plenty of foods to eat aside from bread! The easiest suggestions are eggs (frittatas, omelettes, any style), soup, salad, stew, chili, stuffed vegetables (stuffed peppers, stuffed tomatoes, stuffed zucchini).

There is a diabetes support sub forum as well as a lot of low carb forums if you're looking for general meal plan ideas.

Welcome!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I am also diabetic (with an assortment of other health issues), and my doctor recommended that I try low-carb. but warned me not to go "too low" (unfortunately he couldn't tell me how low was too low). He said I'd have to experiment to find out.

I'm still experimenting, but I find it really, really hard to lose weight unless I go lower carb than I'd really like to (I've virtually given up breads almost entirely).

In the process though, I did discover that I had an allergy or sensitivity to wheat (not celiac disease, I've been tested). Most noticeably, the red, irritated acne, seborrheic dermatitis and rosacea that I thought was just normal for my "sensitive skin" disappeared. I haven't had skin this clear since before puberty.

If you're on metformin, insulin, or other diabetic meds, you really need to talk to a certified diabetic educator (most insurances pay for at least a limited number of visits) before you start experimenting.

Check out the dieting with obstacles forum, because there are a lot of us here with diabetes and other blood sugar issues.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote