Looking Good, Feeling Great - What are your skincare routine/tricks?

Wannabeskinny
02-25-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm not supermodel, never will be. But I love love love my skin and I do everything in my power to maintain its beauty.

My routine is like this:

Morning - just a splash of water. A bit of moisturizer/sunscreen before I go out. I use Philosophy's Take a Deep Breath spf 30

Evening - remove makeup with neutrogena towelettes, wash with water. Apply Estee Lauder Idealist eye cream, then Philosophy retinol, and then Estee Lauder Night Repair Serum.

I only "cleanse" in the shower which may or may not be every day. :crazy: In that case i cleanse with phisoderm cream cleanser and then I spray on Murad toner, followed by philosophy moisturizer.

My tricks are:
- never touch my face
- change my pillowcase every couple of nights
- exfloliate once a week with a facial sponge
- spf every single day of my life
- wear sunglasses all year long
- eat an abundant source of healthy fats (avocado, olive oil, flax seeds)

hhm6
02-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Nice thread idea :)

I use the Clinique 3 step skin care routine, it has worked wonders for my skin!!

-Clinique soap or Neutrogena visibly bright soap
-Clinique toner
-Ole henrikson whole truth vitamin c serum
-clinique lotion

Every two days I use the clinique exfolitating scrub.

at night I will also apply some vitamin e oil/bio oil (I have some acne scars that make my skin look really patchy!)

Dottington
02-25-2014, 05:57 PM
I used to have a very elaborate routine, but decided to simplify things and my skin is much healthier and less "raw". I'm acne prone, but if I'm careful I rarely get break outs.
-wake up and swipe face with noxema anti breakout pad.
-apply spf 70 sun screen/face moisturizer combo
-at night I remove makeup with toilettes.
-then another swipe of noxema pads.
-if having breakouts I apply benzoyl peroxide cream to affected areas
-every other week I do either a volcanic mud mask or a dead sea minerals mask.
-occasionally if my skin gets really dry, like when the seasons change, I use coconut oil or argon oil.
-my biggest skin secret though is drinking lots of water. Seriously, its like a miracle worker for skin. I try and drink 12 cups a day and its really obvious if I have any less, my skin gets dull, tired, and old looking. Also I think eating unprocessed whole foods has helped my skin a lot.

PatLib
02-25-2014, 07:19 PM
My skin would probably be perfect if I could just stop touching my face but I have this tick about rubbing my fingers against my lips/chin and cupping my face when I lean against the table.

as you can imagine I only breakout on my chin and my right cheek.

CanadianCutie
02-25-2014, 08:19 PM
My skin is very dry naturally. But since I've very recently changed my routine it has gotten a lot better. I use the Chamomile Cleansing Oil from The Body Shop for my cleanser (it's listed as a makeup remover, but I find it great for general care). I use their Beautifying Oil for a moisturizer when I get out of the shower (for both face and body). I haven't decided which scent I like best, but I've narrowed it down to Chocomania and Brazil Nut. My skin on my face/neck/ears (and the rest of my body frankly) is doing a lot better than it was. Once I started using the Beautifying oil I stopped getting dry flaky skin behind/inside my ears. I use a qtip to apply it in the outer area of my ear, never in the canal, and behind my ear. It cleared up in two days.

I sound like I work there, but I don't. I just took advantage of some great sales online and found some awesome beauty products.

Bellamack
02-25-2014, 08:21 PM
I wash my face with just water in the morning, then use Ole Henrickson's Vit C serum & apply sunscreen. I have a few I like: Josie Moran & Dr Denese, I use most often. At night I wash with Philosophy, apply Isomers Matrixyl and then Philosophy "When Hope Is Not Enough" . I alternate Philosophy with MyChelle products. I have great skin (56 yrs old) and when people ask, I say, SUNSCREEN, SUNSCREEN, cleanse every night , drink H2O & good genes. lol I also gently exfoliate 2x per week, I like the enzyme ones over the mechanical ones.

TooWicky
02-25-2014, 10:53 PM
Love reading all these tips and routines - I have been looking for advice and ideas for a formal skincare routine.

My routine is almost nonexistent. I wash my face in the shower with regular moisturizing soap. I use lotion daily, but no special brand in the past. Recently I have been in search of moisturizer with a bit more oomph to improve the appearance of my skin, so now I'm using Aveeno daily moisturizing lotion. I'm happy with it so far! I wear a lot of makeup and always have, daily. My foundation has spf 17 in it. Although I color my hair now because I'm going gray, I am a redhead. I kind of hate "outside" as a general rule and avoid outdoor pursuits. I avoid the sun and certainly never try to get any tan at all. On sunny days if I have to be outside I will absolutely wear sunglasses and a hat and maybe even an umbrella like a psuedo parasol! To take my makeup off at night I use sesame oil and store brand wipes from the baby section.

I'm almost 50. The skin on my face has held up okay since I am not sporting a lot of sun damage, but I def look more my age since losing a lot of weight. I have crows feet when I smile now and expression lines that are there, period. Middle age has brought some changes, including markedly dryer skin. I'm reading these moisturizer suggestions with interest.

VermontMom
02-25-2014, 11:35 PM
dayum TooWicky you look alot younger than almost 50!

I was recently given a sample kit of Image Vital C skin care products, I really like how they feel. Previous to that, I would just use water in the morning; and at night, some kind of drugstore creamy cleanser or a goat's milk soap; then something like Regenerist on my face and throat at night. Oh and in the morning, before makeup, an spf of at least 30; then a light liquid foundation that has an spf of 15. That combo must work well, as most days in summer I ride my motorcycle with a half helmet, and my face does not get tan or sunburned, not even my nose or cheeks or forehead. While my husband's face gets dark like a mocha coffee :D

I know that drinking water is the true simple miracle fluid for all of us, i need to remember that!

I am 53, only started using an spf moisturizer daily maybe in my 30's.

TamTam
02-26-2014, 07:13 PM
I do not wear makeup and ONLY use goat milk soap on my face and body. For a moisturizer I used only natural products that contain coconut oil. I buy from this company and I really like their moisturizer.

alaskanlaughter
02-27-2014, 06:35 PM
i dont' wear makeup....ever....i hate the feeling of "stuff" on my skin, yuck...i wash my face with water daily, that's about it...occasionally if i think about it i will wash it with an acne cleanser/pore cleanser thing that my teenager has in the shower...sometimes i will put lotion on if my skin is getting dry...that's about all

VioletDolphin83
02-28-2014, 12:33 AM
Wow, my routine is really simple compared to all of that. I simply cleanse and moisturize and brush my teeth before getting in the shower. That's my very basic routine. I find that taking a daily multivitamin helps my skin.

Wannabeskinny
02-28-2014, 09:31 AM
I don't think it's complicated. Mostly it's about making sure I remain hydrated. And as easily as I brush my teeth before I go to bed I take about 1-2minutes to apply the retinol and some night repair serum. The spray toner is one spritz and takes less than 5 seconds.

I've only been using the retinol for a couple of months now but I can see a major difference in the fine lines/wrinkles around my eyes.

I'm rather scared of the future, ever since I was little I've been complimented on how beautiful my skin is and I'm nervous about when that goes away. I get asked about my skin routine a lot and nobody can believe I'm the age I am. I'm sure it's good fortune and genetics but I'm quite proud of my skin.

Psychic
02-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Morning: Rinse face with water. Put Neutrogena Body Lotion Light Sesame Formula on face/body.

Evening: Clean off makeup with natural makeup removal wipes (currently using Simple brand). Rinse face with water. Put Neutrogena Body Lotion Light Sesame Formula on face. Sometimes put lotion on body. Currently loving Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Hydrating Gel Lotion.

I exfoliate once or twice a week with St. Ives Blemish Control Apricot Scrub while in the shower. Sometimes I remember to use my sugar scrub on the rest of my body.

Oh, I also spot treat zits with peroxide and/or Clean & Clear Persa-Gel 10.

LovesToTravel
02-28-2014, 11:08 AM
I have sensitive skin and a ton of allergies so years ago I found that Neutrogena products work well for me and I've stuck with them ever since. If I didn't wear makeup during the day (i.e. home doing chores), then I'll just splash my face with water. If I used makeup and I'm in the shower, I'll use Neutrogena Naturals Face Cleansing + Makeup Remover. If I'm just washing up for bed, I use Neutrogena makeup remover wipes and then rinse with water.

In the morning I rinse with water again and moisturize with Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture with SPF 15. Before bed I apply Neutrogena Naturals Multi-Vitamin Nourishing Night Cream. During TOM when my face is extra oily and breaks out, I stick with the oil-free moisturizer day and night.

I also use lip balm A LOT because I can't stand dry lips- mainly Nivea and Vaseline products. I'm allergic to Chapstick and Burts Bees- they make my lips swell, go numb, and break out in tiny, itchy little blisters. 10 minutes after I apply either of those brands, I look like I had a bad botox job. :eek:

For the rest of my body, I use those jars of sugar scrub from Bath & Body Works aromatherapy section. I have keratosis pilaris (tiny little red bumps on the backs of my arms & legs) so I've found that the combination of sugar to exfoliate and oil to moisturize helps keep those problem areas fairly smooth and soft.

Quiet Ballerina
03-01-2014, 03:34 PM
I use organic coconut oil on my face and body instead of lotion. I put it on my lips too. In the winter, I'll put the coconut oil on my lips and then put aquaphor on top, to keep the oil 'locked in'

I also use the coconut oil on my hair about once a month. I put a bunch in, leave it in for an hour or two, and then wash it out. My roommate swears by it and she has gorgeous hair! It does seem to help my breakage. :)

AwShucks
03-01-2014, 07:22 PM
I also use the coconut oil on my hair about once a month. I put a bunch in, leave it in for an hour or two, and then wash it out. My roommate swears by it and she has gorgeous hair! It does seem to help my breakage. :)

I use coconut oil on my hair, too. Love it! I thought it might be too heavy for my face, so I haven't tried it there. I have hormone related breakouts on my chin and neck. It's frustrating, but nothing except the Pill helped, and then that messed up my weight loss! ugh! So, I just try to keep my skin clean and medicated with tea tree oil. I found a tea tree facial cleanser at Trader Joe's that I love! And, it comes in wipes, too, for the gym and to travel with.

I live in a humid climate, so my skin isn't very dry. I use Oil of Olay every day (same thing my grandma used!) and I wear a tinted moisturizer with SPF 15 by Boots No7 as a base instead of a heavier foundation. I always make a point to rub any extra moisturizer on the backs of my hands, too... gotta keep them looking good! After showering, I rub lavender scented baby oil gel all over and then towel dry. The gel is great because it doesn't drip in the tub and make things slippery.

And, I swear by wearing a floppy hat and staying in the shade. I sometimes burn my shoulders and arms outside, but I can say it's been years since I had a sunburned face.

alexhanney08
05-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Hydrating or moisturizing our skin is very important. I wash my face in the morning with my favorite natural facial foam and put some moisturizer and sunscreen. Whenever I'm exposing to the sun I always bring my natural wipes to avoid dryness. I wipe my face with my natural facial wipes to hydrate it and remove dirt.

nonameslob
05-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Whew. I've had a 15+ year battle with acne. It's only been the past 5 years where I've been able to control it, but even at 27 I still get breakouts. I used to swear by products by Lush, but honestly can't afford it anymore (I used Angels on Bare Skin and a variety of other products). Now I use pretty much the entire Tea Tree line from The Body Shop.

Since I do wear makeup (powder only, one particular brand that does not make me break out), I HAVE to remove my makeup and wash my face every evening. I used to be lazy about this in college which is why I kept breaking out. So usually in the morning I wash with a light cleanser and follow-up with an SPF 15 light moisturizer. In the evening I remove my makeup using cold cream (recently switched to TBS's chamomile cleansing butter) with a washcloth. Then I use my tea tree face wash. I also use a tea tree oil toner to remove any excess makeup or dirt and follow up with moisturizer. Moisturizers change seasonally depending on how dry my skin is...I dab tea tree oil directly onto blemishes if I have any.

I still swear by Lush's fresh face masks. Cupcake, Rudolph (seasonal only)...oh there's so many good ones.

I find some sun actually helps clear my skin, so I allow some exposure in the summer, but usually I've got sunscreen on.

seabiscuit
05-25-2014, 07:02 PM
Cool thread! ;)

I use a moisturizing facial cleanser, not soap, so I usually use CeraVe or Kiehl's or even Clean and Clear. I've heard it's good to moisturize after cleansing, but I don't always do it.

I do have sensitive/combination skin and eczema, which can be a pain, especially in the winter when my heels get cracked so I try to moisturize my skin a lot with lots of different things. I find pedicures help a lot too with the rough, calloused, cracked skin. I try to use a moisturizing body wash too because in the winter, I'll get red dry spots from harsher body washes. I liked Aveeno but I found it was expensive. I think I used a Nivea body wash which was pretty good.

Oh, and I very seldom wear make up. If I do, it's basic black mascara, lip gloss or lipstick and rarely powder or rouge. I try to keep things simple.

Durian
06-02-2014, 02:48 PM
My "tricks" are:

1.) WATER!
2.) Always wear non-chemical (only) sunscreen on my face.
3.) Not washing my face in the morning.
4.) Manual and/or chemical exfoliation at least three times a week.
5.) Always wear sunglasses.

mars735
06-03-2014, 01:03 AM
My "tricks" are:

1.) WATER!
2.) Always wear non-chemical (only) sunscreen on my face.
3.) Not washing my face in the morning.
4.) Manual and/or chemical exfoliation at least three times a week.
5.) Always wear sunglasses.

Could you please tell us what your sunscreen is? Thanks!

Durian
06-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Could you please tell us what your sunscreen is? Thanks!

Cotz Face Natural Skin Tone SPF 40

They sell it at Ulta (you can use a coupon) or Amazon. If you're very fair, it may not work for you, based on the reviews I've read. If you live near Ulta, they do accept returns, even if you've tried the product.

Another sunscreen I love is Thinksport 50. It doesn't leave you greasy, works great, and it blends into the skin without leaving a white residue. But, the scent, whilst not offensive [to me], is overpowering. My whole family uses this. I only use it on my body, though.

Melarie
06-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Mines pretty simple. I wash my face every morning with Garnier charchoal cleanser. I also keep a Neutrogena foaming moisturizing cleanser around for when my skin gets dry. And I use St. Ives apricot scrub every now and then. Then I have a Proactiv green tea moisturizer, its amazing.

I take my makeup off with some cheap dollar store cold cream.

IanG
06-03-2014, 03:54 PM
I eat fish every day.

Wait a month.

Look a decade younger.

LadyPetite
06-03-2014, 04:05 PM
I've noticed the less I mess with my face, the better my skin looks. My skin is super dry, as opposed to the oil slick it used to be in my teens. I had terrible acne back then. Miraculously, the acne is gone but my skin is very dry with redness on my cheeks.

In the shower every morning I'll exfoliate my skin gently and then a moisturizer with spf. At night, I'll just use a baby wipe to remove any makeup and use a moisturizer. For me, every day makeup just consists of a light dusting of powder, and powder/eyeliner/blush/lipstick/eyeshadow (lightly) for special occasions only.

mars735
06-04-2014, 12:11 AM
Cotz Face Natural Skin Tone SPF 40

They sell it at Ulta (you can use a coupon) or Amazon. If you're very fair, it may not work for you, based on the reviews I've read. If you live near Ulta, they do accept returns, even if you've tried the product.

Another sunscreen I love is Thinksport 50. It doesn't leave you greasy, works great, and it blends into the skin without leaving a white residue. But, the scent, whilst not offensive [to me], is overpowering. My whole family uses this. I only use it on my body, though.

Thanks, Durian!

Nanu
06-06-2014, 06:44 AM
I follow the cleanse, tone and moisturise routine. I recently started using a cleansing face wash from Kheil's and I do think it's the best I've used. The ones I've used before have always left my skin feeling a bit dry and taut.

I might start using some night cream/serum for the eyes.

Nanu
06-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Oh! I also try to take a omega 3 supplement everyday. I found it made a huge improvement to my skin.

Bloopers
06-07-2014, 05:37 AM
Honestly, I only use water to wash my face and I have pretty clear skin. I do wear foundation and all of that good stuff, but I never leave it on throughout the night, EVER. I use make-up remover wipes and always make sure every little bit comes off, other than that, just water for me!

alexhanney08
06-16-2014, 02:14 AM
Every women wants to have a healthy and glowing skin, it is our nature. I wash my face in the morning with mild and natural facial wash and put sunscreen. I also put lip balms on my lip to avoid chaffed and dry lip. I wash my face before bedtime and didn't sleep with make-up. I usually put some facial mask every Friday night it is a part of my weekly routine and relaxation. I use Essenzza natural japanese silk facial treatment mask that has Moroccan Argan oil and vitamin C. Vitamin C can help your skin to become glowing and brighter.

GlamourGirl827
06-19-2014, 08:24 PM
I don't have a routine, but here's my deal:

I only wear make up (cover up) once or twice a month at most.
I don't tan*, never have.
I don't smoke.
I rarely drink (glass of wine few times a month).
I wash with soap and water after every run. If I don't run that day, just water.
Good genes, thank god. Well, my mom's side aged VERY well, dad's average.

*Now that I run, I am outside nearly everyday for about 30 mins. I am noticeably more tan this summer than I have ever been. This leaves me concerned about some type of sun protection for my skin, but I don't want any goop on my face while I'm out running and sweating. I am hoping that having protected my skin for the first 33 years of my life and not having spent my teens and 20s bakin in the sun or tanning bed means I can spare a decade of abuse.....I'll check back in 15 years an let you know if this is true...

seabiscuit
06-19-2014, 09:21 PM
A new one but goodie for me, getting paraffin and a callous remover treatment with a pedicure, wow that works well!!

LePetitPapillon
07-21-2014, 01:32 PM
1. I use camilla oil to remove skin oil and makeup
2. I use foaming gentle facial cleanser to wash my face
3. I have some hydrating liquid I apply to my face
4. A moisturizing water based skin cream which removes redness
5. I apply primer
6. I apply foundation with SPF

After the day is over, I repeat steps 1 and 2, then apply a sleeping mask cream for hydration at night.