Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat February 24 - March 2

BillBlueEyes
02-24-2014, 05:54 AM
Local weather has improved with days regularly getting into the 50's F. Sidewalks are clear so that walking is easy. DW pointed out how many buds are visible on the huge American Elm next door. My heart begins to think that spring might just come.

I'm thriving on my new kick to get my snacks under control, which was useful for getting through the Thanksgiving..Christmas eating season and is useful now for getting through the Girl Scout Cookie season. Good grief! What I just typed reminds me that the demonic sellers of junk have figured out a new meaning of To everything there is a season.

To restore my mental balance, I'll reprint the Wiki version of Turn, Turn, Turn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn!_Turn!_Turn!):To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, a time to reap that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
Now I'll try to think of sane eating as "A time of peace."

silverbirch
02-24-2014, 06:17 AM
RIP the wonderful Pete Seeger.

Good morning!

Mudpie
02-24-2014, 06:21 AM
Good morning all. Very strong starting post this week Bill. Congrats on your resolve in curbing the snacking. My challenge this week will be to cut back on the caffeine again, drink my 2 bottles of water every day, and make it to restorative yoga on Sunday.

I am still going through the deep freeze :brr: up here - minus 22 forecast from this coming Thursday through next weekend. I hope to be under my red line :goodscale: when the warmer temps break. Then I can do some calorie restriction, counting, etc. to see how low I can go for summer.

Dagmar :beach:

ICUwishing
02-24-2014, 10:03 AM
I'm just happy to be here at Monday. It was a long weekend with show choir stuff both Friday and Saturday night (they were great!). We are pretty much on "normal" chaos for this week and I can deal with that. Hopefully DS has only a couple more weeks of launch support and being gone all week, and I think we'll have a functional bathroom on Wednesday.

I am NOT looking forward to another 10 days of forecasted below-freezing weather. At least there's very little precipitation. The only positive aspect of it is that the driveway should stay passable. It's been a bit of a luge run, which is kinda fun when you have good skid control technology and get a good running start at it. :D My own personal Olympic event - getting from the street to the garage!

alinnell
02-24-2014, 10:18 AM
I read this morning that we might be getting some much needed rain here this week. My only hope is that it comes now rather than the weekend. We have tickets for an outdoor blues concert on Saturday called Rhythm, Wine and Brews (lots of wineries and breweries offering samples during the 12 hour concert). It is a rain or shine concert and umbrellas are not allowed.

My weight was good yesterday but inched up a tad this morning. Eating was all off due to the trip to LA even though I chose salad for lunch--that Caesar dressing will kill you!

JayEll
02-24-2014, 10:29 AM
I'm getting out of the hospital today. :cheer2:

I am behind on everything work-related. And you know what? The sky didn't fall, and the world didn't come to an end.

Mudpie
02-24-2014, 10:45 AM
I'm getting out of the hospital today. :cheer2:

I am behind on everything work-related. And you know what? The sky didn't fall, and the world didn't come to an end.

Obviously you're not doing enough of that "joyless striving" JayEll - :p.
Glad they sprang you! :D

Dagmar :dizzy:

silverbirch
02-24-2014, 11:12 AM
JayEll, great news!

ICUwishing
02-24-2014, 11:38 AM
JayEll, thanks for letting us know! And yeah, somehow it seems that all the work will happily wait for you to get back. :rolleyes:

paperclippy
02-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Glad you're going home Jay!

We had a lovely warm day Saturday and took the girls to the zoo for the first time. I think they liked it because they sat quietly in their stroller for over two hours staring at everything. We need to do more activities that engage their attention like that -- these days in the afternoon they get very fussy because they are bored with all their toys, and we end up putting them in their high chairs and giving them cheerios because they are very interested in picking up the cheerios and popping them in their mouths and can occupy themselves for half an hour working on a handful of cheerios.

The only thing they seem to want to do in their playroom is pull themselves up on the gate and try to climb it. :lol: Of course this usually results in them falling over and hitting their heads and crying though. Oh well, I guess that's how they learn, right? We do try to be there to stop them from hitting their heads but you can't be everywhere all the time.

Carter is still doing really well with the gated playroom. He mostly just ignores the babies in there and hangs out in his dog bed(s) or on the couch, then comes out at cheerio time. He eats the ones they drop on the floor, then once they're out of the chairs he cleans up anything they left behind. :lol:

traveling michele
02-24-2014, 11:46 AM
I bet you are more than ready to get out JayEll! When I was pregnant, I was put in the hospital at 25 weeks for many complications. I was told I would have to stay there the remainder of my pregnancy. I begged and begged to be released and promised I would do anything they asked. They let me go home after about 5 days and I stayed on bed rest the remainder of the pregnancy. Being at home is so much better than being in a hospital with them waking you at all hours!

My dd texted me this morning (she's away at college). She was up all night with what sounds like a horrible stomach virus. Poor baby. I feel so helpless that I can't go help her. She's hoping one of her roommates will go to the store and get her some gatorade and crackers when they wake up.

My weight is lower than it's been in well over a year. If I knew calorie counting would work so well for me, I would have done it a long time ago. I don't see a big difference on myself but my clothes are fitting better and my tummy looks less poochy. I'm just hoping I can keep it up.

My birthday is next Monday. My family is gone so I'll be alone. I have to work. I *might* take a sick day Tuesday (they are using the library all day for spring pictures so I might get some tests and doctor stuff done). If you were me.... would you: 1. stick to plan even though it's your birthday. Dh and I will be going on a weekend in Napa trip when he comes back later in March. 2. splurge because it's your birthday and you only live once.

Megan1982
02-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Morning all,

I'm getting ready to head to the city for a few days of work meetings. I'll stay up there for 3 nights. I'll have meetings all day, and then I'm sure evening dinners/drinks with colleagues from out of town who I don't see often (that is where all useful relationships happen in biology meetings, after hours). My goal is to not fall into the negativity that sometimes surrounds the evening sessions, and not to stress out too much. I would say my goal is to do well on the 15 min presentation I have to give, but I don't think my performance will really be judged by how well I do my job. Instead some arbitrary factor like if I use a certain buzz word enough or if the big boss is in a good mood tomorrow is what will determine things.

I spent the whole weekend doing class work and laundry and then found out that the small project I thought was due next weekend is due this Wednesday while I'm gone. Our hotel supposedly has free wireless so I should be able to work from there but I'm worried something will go wrong with the technology, and just worried I'll be overwhelmed with work stuff so I need to make it a priority. I'm heading home early from my main office to pack, work on the project, and then drive up. I'm a little on edge because in addition to the project I've been doing well eating healthily and exercising and don't want to get off track with this trip. I'll only be two hours from home but as always when I travel very much out of my comfort zone. :dizzy:

JayEll, I'm glad you finally get to go home. This infection sounds really nasty. I hope you're feeling better.

Jessica, hopefully spring will come soon and you'll have more opportunity to get the girls out where they can watch the world in the nicer weather.

Becky, your driveway sounds scary. Stay warm. :brr:

Allison, I hate it when you eat out and really try to pick something healthy, and something in the meal gets you.

Michele, it's your birthday. I think a meal/piece of cake/glass of wine from your favorite restaurant or bakery or winery, etc. is just fine to enjoy if that's what you want. Just because your family isn't there doesn't mean it's not a day to celebrate yourself in some way. Maybe you could treat yourself in another way, too. Get a pedicure or drop in for an extra yoga class.

Bill, thanks. A time of peace is sane eating. I'll try to keep that in mind this week.

CherryPie99
02-24-2014, 12:56 PM
I had a mixed weekend - I've been relegated to the treadmill for most of my runs this weekend. Yesterday I got outside and knocked 14 miles out at what was, for me, a blistering fast pace of 7:53 MM!

But then we were invited to a Daytona 500 party and since the race was rain delayed and I was starving from my run, I ended up at the food table inhaling everything I could get my hands on.

Consequently, both my CALVES and my STOMACH are paying the price today!!

I realized when I was in the shower this morning (yeah, I know) MICHELE - did I miss the full Henry Winkler report??!!??!!

Jen

traveling michele
02-24-2014, 02:40 PM
I realized when I was in the shower this morning (yeah, I know) MICHELE - did I miss the full Henry Winkler report??!!??!!

Jen

:D I don't recall if I reported back. It was amazing!!! He was the kindest, most genuine, person you could imagine. Funny, approachable... told great stories about himself, his kids, his grandkids. He read from his book and I recorded it to show my students. I have a great photo of him and myself together! I'm still on cloud nine about meeting him!!

CherryPie99
02-24-2014, 08:35 PM
SO glad to hear it! So many celebrities are d-bags, it's great to hear of a guy I always assumed would be a nice guy, but you never know!

How does he look?

CalCounter1003
02-24-2014, 11:37 PM
Sorry, just catching up with figuring out everyone's stories.

Bill, you make me miss seasons! Not the bitter cold, but spring and fall. From May-November in Central Florida it is just awful, hot, humid, and miserable. So you stay inside a lot and freeze from the AC! Been here for 29 years and both DH and I are sick of the heat! We are from DC originally.

Jessica, you have twins? How old are they?

Michelle, when my DS was in college it was only two hours away and twice he got really sick and we had to drive up there to get him. DD is in school in NY and when she was sick last week I felt the same way. Plus she has some super day interview to go to the next day and I told her to just take a cab and don't tell them you are sick! She made it through. And I worried. Definitely splurge a little on your birthday! At least that's what I'd so, especially if your weight is low now. I agree with Megan, get a pedi, and another treat!

Speaking of treats since I hit my goal last week I decided to go shopping. Bought quite a few things, all on sale of course. I have sizes 16-8 in my closet and I removed the 16,14,12 that are absolutely too big. They are sitting in a pile. I want to give them away, but I'm scared. I'm telling myself I am going to keep it off this time and just give them away, but... Well, just scared to do it.
This past summer when I was at an all time high and had to buy bigger sizes I got rid of some 10s because I thought there was no way they'd ever fit.

Mudpie
02-25-2014, 06:23 AM
Calcounter I remember discussions about giving away the "fat clothes" and, if memory serves, the majority were for giving them away. It's kind of an additional commitment to keeping the weight off, yes? :goodscale:

On my home front I am being hopeful in a small way :crossed:. Due to all the changes at DH's work and the sale of the business he might, might finally get the "big boy" job. It would mean a long daily commute but he's 52 and "no one else is offering" as he put it. Our lives would change radically yet again but hey! we've done all the other major stressors but divorce this past year and a half so what the heck! :p

I am going to attempt to lift weights this morning without reinjuring my shoulder/back. I really need to keep whatever strength I have now. :strong:

Dagmar :D

paperclippy
02-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Calcounter, yes, I do have twins! :D They are 10 months old but came two months early, so their adjusted age is 8 months. I don't have any other kids and was never around babies before so I'm constantly learning about how to take care of them. My wonderful DH stays home with them. :love:

I got rid of about 90% of my fat clothes, with the exception of items that had particular sentimental value (a skirt I bought while vacationing in Singapore, for example) and fancy dresses that I kept thinking I would get tailored to fit (I never did). I didn't regret getting rid of any of that stuff until this past year, because I'm still carrying around a lot of pregnancy weight and I'm waiting until babies are weaned to try to lose it. I had to go out and buy some size 12 jeans, and put all my 6's away. I have been living in a wardrobe of basically 2 pairs of jeans and five t-shirts for the past 10 months though, because I refuse to buy any more larger-size clothes than absolutely necessary.

Although here's a funny story, don't remember if I mentioned it here or not. Back in 2004 when I graduated from college I moved across the country. I shipped most of my belongings to myself and brought the rest in the car for the drive. During the move two boxes disappeared, including a lot of sentimental items (photo albums, stuffed animals, etc.) as well as a bunch of winter clothes, formal dresses, and formal shoes. We discovered a few weeks ago that the two boxes had been sitting in my parents' garage the entire time. So when my mom came out to visit a couple weeks ago she brought some of the items with her. All the clothes were from when I was at or near my highest weight, so now I actually have a couple nice skirts that I can squeeze my lumpy postpartum belly into! :lol: The sad part is that some of it is too small. It's interesting to reflect on my body shape like this, because while I weighed more then than I do now, it was distributed pretty evenly all over my body. My pregnancy weight is about 85% in my belly, so I still kind of look pregnant.

In any case I'm looking forward to being able to lose this weight, but I'm a bit concerned about the loose skin. When I lost weight the first time I was younger and my skin tightened up afterward. Right now I've already got a pooch of loose skin that appeared a few days before my girls were born, probably because I'm guessing my abdominal muscles separated. I feel like the rest of my belly will probably retract along with the weight going away, but this poochy part might just be here to stay. Sigh. (Side note -- it's kind of funny because my mom saw it and said, "Wow, those twins really did a number on you," then asked me if I would have surgery to have it fixed. Somehow I never figured my mom as the type to recommend that I get a tummy tuck! :lol: I doubt I would do it anyway, since supporting my family of 4 on one salary the cost of elective surgery seems like an unnecessary blow to our budget.)

Did I ramble enough about myself? Sorry guys! :lol:

alinnell
02-25-2014, 11:54 AM
CalCounter~you sound a lot like me but from the opposite coast. Both my kids are in college--one in grad school. She's about an hour drive away and my DS is in his first year about two hours away. And seasons? Yeah, summer and summer here! Granted winter does get rather cool at night but this year has been so dry and warm it feels like perpetual summer.

I had some fat clothes that were too good to let go and I had them altered. Eventually I did let them go, though. I don't buy a lot of things but it's always nice to have something new.

Jessica~that is funny about your boxes. I bet you spent a lot of time upset that they were "lost," especially with the sentimental stuff in them. One year after my DD was born we had a garage sale at her preschool and I took a couple boxes of clothes that I knew I'd never wear again. After all they'd been boxed up for about 5 years at that point and we really had no desire to take a ski vacation. Well, the sale was on a particularly cold day in winter and a bunch of college kids were at the park across the street for some volleyball tournament and all of them arrived expecting sunny, warm weather and were dressed as such. Of course my stuff sold! Sweaters, coats, long pants, etc. But it was actually traumatic watching it all go. There was a sweater in there (perhaps more than one) that my Mom had knit and I probably should have kept it (would never have worn it, though). I still think about that stuff.

traveling michele
02-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Michelle, when my DS was in college it was only two hours away and twice he got really sick and we had to drive up there to get him. DD is in school in NY and when she was sick last week I felt the same way. Plus she has some super day interview to go to the next day and I told her to just take a cab and don't tell them you are sick! She made it through. And I worried. Definitely splurge a little on your birthday! At least that's what I'd so, especially if your weight is low now. I agree with Megan, get a pedi, and another treat!

Speaking of treats since I hit my goal last week I decided to go shopping. Bought quite a few things, all on sale of course. I have sizes 16-8 in my closet and I removed the 16,14,12 that are absolutely too big. They are sitting in a pile. I want to give them away, but I'm scared. I'm telling myself I am going to keep it off this time and just give them away, but... Well, just scared to do it.
This past summer when I was at an all time high and had to buy bigger sizes I got rid of some 10s because I thought there was no way they'd ever fit.

My dd is still sick, poor thing. I hate being so far away. She has terrible heartburn now-- presumably from lots of vomiting. Any solutions? I told her to buy over the counter meds like Zantac and eat blandly.

Since you all have given me "permission" to splurge on my bday, I've been planning my day. I'm practically drooling! I will have my splurge on Tuesday, which is the day after my birthday, when I take a "sick" day. I'm planning on a big splurge for lunch and some sort of dessert too! I'm going to counter that with two bikram classes that day. That's the plan anyway.

So far as "fat" clothes, I saved one pair of pants. I've shown them many times and I still can't believe they were once mine.

mars735
02-25-2014, 12:00 PM
In any case I'm looking forward to being able to lose this weight, but I'm a bit concerned about the loose skin. When I lost weight the first time I was younger and my skin tightened up afterward. Right now I've already got a pooch of loose skin that appeared a few days before my girls were born, probably because I'm guessing my abdominal muscles separated. I feel like the rest of my belly will probably retract along with the weight going away, but this poochy part might just be here to stay. Sigh. (Side note -- it's kind of funny because my mom saw it and said, "Wow, those twins really did a number on you," then asked me if I would have surgery to have it fixed. Somehow I never figured my mom as the type to recommend that I get a tummy tuck! :lol: I doubt I would do it anyway, since supporting my family of 4 on one salary the cost of elective surgery seems like an unnecessary blow to our budget.)

I'm not one to suggest or encourage surgery, but if it is something you ever decide to consider, some tummy tucks can be covered by insurance. You might want to check out the relevant threads, or ask a plastic surgeon about the criteria, if & when. Congrats on your weight loss and twins!

CherryPie99
02-25-2014, 03:46 PM
I kept one pair of pants from my old life....

http://i59.tinypic.com/qq395h.jpg

Mudpie
02-25-2014, 04:23 PM

Wow! That's really impressive. I'm reminded of a pic our former forum moderator had. She lost herself - took off 135 lbs. and ended up maintaining at 135 lbs. She too was standing in pants that looked like they would hold 2 of her.

I think it's totally appropriate to keep one or two things as reminders. I kept nothing as I didn't have that much to lose - size 12 down to size 8 - so the change is nothing as dramatic as Jen's.

Dagmar :dizzy:

CalCounter1003
02-25-2014, 07:35 PM

That is so awesome!!! I love the idea of keeping something big like that!
I am going to give most of them away but I am also going to keep something big.

Thanks Dagmar and everyone else for the advice on clothes.

Allinnel, don't the years your kids are in college fly by? It's unreal. I did get one skirt altered which cost as much as the skirt itself. It is a skirt with a suit and the suit I got on eBay, it was NWT, but very inexpensive. Had to buy it at my high weight in the summer for a presentation and really like it. The jacket is too big still but that's okay.

Michele, I would tell your DD to go the clinic at her college if she doesn't feel better soon!

Jessica, oh I bet the girls are adorable and what a fun age! I'm no expert but I think that your skin will come back with time and exercise. I'm surprised your mom suggested surgery too! I'm sure she meant well, but she should offer to pay! ;)

Mudpie
02-26-2014, 06:28 AM
I am on day 5 OP and I'm just a shade under 136 lbs :goodscale:. Closing in on my redline - will be there by Monday if I can keep from eating :hungry: in the evenings until then.

Then I'm off to a dog sit for 8 days. This is the first time I am really serious about staying mostly OP at a sit. Usually I usually take it as an excuse :shrug: to indulge because I'm overworked and lonely and bored and etc. etc.

Not this time. I think I finally have the resolve and motivation :cheer2: again that I had in 2007 when I started all of this. The goal now, by the end of May, is to get to and maintain 132-134 for the next 10 years.

Dagmar :cool:

alinnell
02-26-2014, 10:25 AM
I went to my 4th dog obedience class last night and Bogey did surprisingly well. He did bark a couple of times but not nearly like the previous week. We're learning turns and boundaries now. He's really good on sit, sit-stay, down and down-stay. We're still working on leash walking (thus the turns). Meanwhile I remembered a friend here had her dog trained to be her service dog so I contacted her to see where she sent her dog. Turns out it is about an hour drive from here and I liked what I saw on their website. I sent in an inquiry and heard back almost immediately. I talked with one of the trainers and liked it even more so I set up a free evaluation for Bogey on March 15th. At the evaluation they'll determine if he'll need 2 or 4 weeks at dog boot camp to get over his problems. This program is 1/3 of the cost of the guy in Arizona and they include a session to train me, a follow-up session at home a couple weeks later and 6 monthly follow-up sessions (if needed) and if we still need more the additional sessions are only $20 each per month. Granted the follow-up sessions require me driving there but hopefully we won't need too many.

CalCounter~I think all years fly by! We've lived here in the desert for almost 24 years. I think the 11 years in Palm Springs was a fairly long time but it seems like just yesterday that we moved to our present home in Palm Desert, yet that was over 10 years ago now.

We're expecting some huge storm here this week/weekend which really might ruin our Saturday. The bulk of the storm is supposed to be Friday but the outdoor music festival all day on Saturday will still be wet from it regardless. I'm kind of sad. I'm wondering if I should run out for rain gear so if we're sitting and watching the bands play we won't get soaked. I don't know how prepared the festival is for rain. I do know that the don't allow umbrellas. I hope the flooding there is minimal. It's at a polo ground and that will mean mud.

traveling michele
02-26-2014, 11:30 AM
That sounds great for Bogey! The rains just started here this morning. Luckily I got Sir Dewey out before they started. It will be a chore to get him to potty while it's raining.

First step in getting back into a pool to try swimming-- check-- bought googles! I think I'll plan sometime this weekend to try it out.

I know that I'm slow to develop friendships but once I do, they are strong and last a long time. I've been slowly developing friendships with a few ladies at yoga but we haven't gotten together socially or anything yet. One of them is throwing a bridal shower on Sunday for one of the instructors that is marrying another instructor. The bride is from France and doesn't know anyone here so it is sweet for my friend to throw the shower. I'm excited because we'll get together socially which will hopefully inspire more such get togethers. I am worried about the food though because it sounds like everyone is bringing something special (I'm just bringing fruit). I want to make sure my weight is still down for my birthday on Monday so I don't feel guilty indulging, so I'll have to be careful on Sunday.

And, yes, the years have flown. I truly can't believe it. I feel like I just had little kids the other day. One of my students yesterday asked me if I had kids and how old they were. I felt incredibly old telling her that my daughters are 19 and 23. I don't know how that happened....

My younger dd said she is feeling much better today. Thank God. Hopefully she can catch up on her schoolwork as she is really trying to have a good semester after last semester was so terrible.

alinnell
02-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Becky~have you ever considered training your bunnies to compete? So cute!
Bunny Show (http://blog.petflow.com/everyone-has-heard-of-dog-shows-but-this-bunny-show-is-just-unbelievable/)

Mudpie
02-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Mudpie is going to the vet's tomorrow - anal gland expression. How do I know my cat needs this? Aren't cats generally very secretive when doing their stuff in their box? No one sent her the memo apparently. :lol:

And it's going to be wicked cold. Cats do not wear coats. I'm going to have to wrap her carrier in a big blankie and get DH to drop me right in front of the vet before he goes looking for parking. He will not be amused but we are, after all, in the service of the queen.

Dagmar :p

Mudpie
02-26-2014, 07:58 PM
Blasting music, singing along and dancing around in my living room tonite - DH is late coming home from work. I just realized this is the first time I've really let loose and had fun :hyper: in my house. I've been here since the end of October. I will make a point of doing this much, much more often - good for the SOUL! :cool:

Dagmar :twirly:

CherryPie99
02-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Yay for getting a chance to REVEL in your home. Now, is there the T-shirt underwear slide like Risky Business??!!

Mudpie
02-27-2014, 06:21 AM
Yay for getting a chance to REVEL in your home. Now, is there the T-shirt underwear slide like Risky Business??!!

Nah - too cold! Floor to ceiling patio doors and two large windows make the living room the coldest (in terms of temps) in the house.

traveling michele
02-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Dagmar-- I'm thrilled you were able to finally enjoy your new home!

Do you all like surprises? I don't do well with the anticipation!! Here's a little back story-- I am not required to go to the monthly staff meetings so I usually don't (outside of my working hours)-- once in awhile I will go if they need me to speak about something. They are having a staff meeting after school on Tuesday. We got an email saying that during the staff meeting they will be discussing what we want in a principal as our current principal is interim and she will be applying for the position along with other candidates. It all seems a little awkward because apparently a LOT of the staff wants to be on the interview committee-- I'm reading between the lines that maybe many people aren't thrilled with her. Anyway.... it is optional for me to go. I wasn't planning on it as that is the day I'm taking a sick day for medical stuff/my birthday/my sanity. The last thing I want to do is come back to school at 3:30. So, my principal sent me an email saying she hoped I'd be there (which was odd to begin with). I told her that no, I wouldn't, as I had scheduled medical tests and appointments that day. So, yesterday she calls me and asks if I can be at school early Friday as she wants to make an announcement and it has something to do with me. I said, yes, and she called a staff meeting for tomorrow morning-- asking for everyone to come to the staff room for "a breakfast treat and an announcement". What the heck!? What could it be? At first I thought it was that they were going to buy some new computers for the library. But they wouldn't call a special staff meeting for that! They've never done that. Everyone is speculating. I'm going insane wondering. I DO NOT like being the center of attention. Maybe it's about a lot of people and not just me, but the suspense is killing me!!

silverbirch
02-27-2014, 11:20 AM
They've bypassed that time-consuming application form and interview process and you've been chosen to be Principal. :cool: That's my guess.

alinnell
02-27-2014, 11:35 AM
Oh, Michele! Now the suspense is killing me!!!!

Dagmar~glad you're enjoying your new home!!!

Sitting here anticipating rain. The sun is shining. There are a few clouds around the edges of the valley. There is a slight breeze. IDK--storm of the century? It doesn't seem possible.

traveling michele
02-27-2014, 11:53 AM
They've bypassed that time-consuming application form and interview process and you've been chosen to be Principal. :cool: That's my guess.

Bite your tongue! I wouldn't want that position in 10 million years....

ICUwishing
02-27-2014, 01:14 PM
allison, thanks for sharing that link! Neither of mine have a personality that would lend them to being "trained", although Jamie might jump if a potato chip was involved! :D

BillBlueEyes
02-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Principal Michelle,

It's not fair that I've gained pounds when it was silverbirch who first started talking about snacks. She should be punished, not me.

And I'm not to blame for missing exercise yesterday. It was cold outside - I can't be blamed for the weather.

And pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese dont' tell my mother. She's gonna take away my iPhone AND. I. WILL. JUST. DIE.

You're so nice. You've always been my favorite Principal.

traveling michele
02-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Principal Michelle,

It's not fair that I've gained pounds when it was silverbirch who first started talking about snacks. She should be punished, not me.

And I'm not to blame for missing exercise yesterday. It was cold outside - I can't be blamed for the weather.

And pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese dont' tell my mother. She's gonna take away my iPhone AND. I. WILL. JUST. DIE.

You're so nice. You've always been my favorite Principal.

:D LOL Bill! Sounds about right. I had a funny one yesterday. I was reading a book about pets to a class. I asked them what an animal doctor is called and they chimed in veterinarian. I told them that when I was younger I wanted to be a veterinarian and had worked for vets. One of the kids said, "Oh you decided to become a librarian because it's easier?"!:dizzy:

bargoo
02-27-2014, 04:13 PM
Oh, Michele! Now the suspense is killing me!!!!

Me too!

bargoo
02-27-2014, 04:28 PM
:D LOL Bill! Sounds about right. I had a funny one yesterday. I was reading a book about pets to a class. I asked them what an animal doctor is called and they chimed in veterinarian. I told them that when I was younger I wanted to be a veterinarian and had worked for vets. One of the kids said, "Oh you decided to become a librarian because it's easier?"!:dizzy:
I have a friend who is a pharmacisr. I asked her once why she picked that profession. Her answer she said,first she wanted to be a physician but she had a traumatic experience as a child and truly can't stand the sight of blood. Next she thought of becoming a vet but knew she could never put someones pet to sleep, so she became a pharmacist and still gets to wear a white coat.

Mudpie
02-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Bill Are those your children or grandchildren you're quoting? :lol:

bargoo All sorts of people told me I should be a vet when I was a kid. I told all of them I didn't want to fix sick or injured animals and they were quite surprised.

Michele What ever it is I'm sure the surprise will be a nice one.

I think I'm coming down with something. I attributed it to the searing cold and howling winds I was in all day but they should make me tired, not feeling like :barf:. Hope I can shake it off - I start a pet sit on Monday and have too much to do before then to be sick.

Dagmar :tired: of :brr:

Megan1982
02-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Michele, what happened this morning? The suspense is killing me too!

Just catching up for the week. I got home last night from several days away to a BF and dog very happy to see me. Pitiful those two. The dog doesn't usually let me get out of her sight but she was actually glued to my leg following me last night, BF not too far behind. Geez, I was only gone for 3 days. I must be loved. ;) My meetings went pretty well, my presentation well received, and I got the chance to interact with some colleagues I don't see often. I went to the hotel gym the first morning and it was pitiful and boring as all get out. After that I spent my free time just trying to keep up with my classwork instead. So not too much activity but I ate fairly normally and didn't overeat (luckily not too many extra snacks given to us at the meeting). Even still I didn't hit my normal green veggie quota. I bought a lot of fresh veggies to restock the fridge on my way home. Tomorrow I'm running a 5K with a friend at our local fire department fundraiser.

alinnell
02-28-2014, 10:26 AM
The promised rain has finally started falling. They said it would start at 2 or 3 AM but it waited until almost 6 AM and then it was just a drizzle, but steady. It was noticeably warmer during the night due to the cloud cover but once the rain started it cooled off considerably. Here's to hoping it rains and rains and rains all day and evening and then STOPS for tomorrow! They did interview the promoters of the music festival and they are erecting more tents than originally planned, so that is good (although it could be scary if the predicted wind picks up). And we found all our rain ponchos.

Megan1982
02-28-2014, 10:26 AM
Nah - too cold! Floor to ceiling patio doors and two large windows make the living room the coldest (in terms of temps) in the house.

You could still reenact the slide in a snuggie! That video-image is what's in my brain now. Dagmar and Tom cruise, sliding in together. Tom gets the leopard-print snuggie.

traveling michele
02-28-2014, 11:59 AM
I couldn't sleep-- the suspense was killing me!! Now I'm exhausted!!

I was recognized as the Classified Employee of the Year at my school! We have Certificated employees (teachers) and Classified (everyone else). It was cool but embarrassing! I am invited to a district board meeting to be recognized! They gave me what was written about me and it is really awesome. Would look great on a resume!!

I think I worried some more weight off. My weight was LOW this morning. We'll see if it stays there. I find it funny that I've lost 8 pounds in a little over a month calorie counting but the only places I see a difference are my arms and the girls (they're gone again). Tummy's still there.... No one has said anything about a weight loss so it must not be too noticeable. I'm going to try on my skinny jeans this weekend and see if they fit now!!

BillBlueEyes
02-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Honking Congratulations, Michelle - That's much better than being made principal.

silverbirch
02-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Great news, Michele. Many congratulations!

(So glad you don't have to be Principal.)

JayEll
02-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Good on ya, Michele! :cheer2:

CalCounter1003
02-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Congratulations Michele!!!! And go skinny jeans!!

I'm with you would never want to be principal! I'm at a Catholic school and there are so many great parents who totally support the teachers. But the few that don't .... awful. Like Bill said everything is the teacher or principal's fault. I worry for those kids when they go to college. Although in the night class I teach at a college one student told me her mom wanted to talk to me regarding the research paper she didn't turn in and got a zero on. I asked her if she was over 18, knowing she Is way over that and told her this was illegal due to privacy rules. :?: Other students heard this conversation and when she left the room to use her phone all started talking about it. I didn't say anything, but got them back on track but was glad they thought it was ridiculous too because I was afraid she was calling her mom to come confront me!

Dagmar, hope you are feeling better. I stayed home sick today which I never do but I am just exhausted from a crazy week. A lot of my students were on a field trip today so I didn't feel too bad missing. I slept till 9:30 which is four hours later than my usual 4:30 and feel fine now.

I am down two pounds this first week of maintenance. What the heck! I did give blood yesterday but I've never lost from that before. I'm going to add more calories in. It's weird how after seven months of losing at 1200-1500 I start increasing and then I drop. But no complaints! Very thankful to be where I am right now. Also I am probably down because I've had such a busy week.

alinnell
02-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Congrats Michele! (And thanks on the lesson of Certified vs Certificated. I always wondered what the difference was!)

My aunt started out as a teacher, went on to become principal and ended up head of her school district. That's got to be a tough job!

I remember when DD started college and the administrators telling us parents not to be helicopters and that we have absolutely NO right to know what is going on with our kids because they were now 18 and adults (granted she was really only 17 but she's always been more mature than her age). When DS went off to college I had to really impress upon him that it was now HIS responsibility to pay rent and tuition (but he could ask me for money if he needed it). So far he's done very well in school. He did miss one assignment (had it all done, set it aside to proof read later, and totally forgot about it). When he realized his mistake, he went to the instructor, told her the problem and she agreed to take it for a one-grade deduction over what it would have earned him (better than a zero!). I'm glad he stood up for himself!

Shannon in ATL
02-28-2014, 02:41 PM
Yay Michele!

:wave: to everyone.

silverbirch
02-28-2014, 03:45 PM
:wave: Shannon! I've been thinking about you.

Mudpie
02-28-2014, 08:21 PM
:wave: Shannon! I've been thinking about you.

Me too! Hi Shannon :wave:

Michele :congrat:

bargoo
02-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Congratulations, Michele !

CherryPie99
02-28-2014, 08:57 PM
Michele you ROCK!!!!!

bargoo
03-02-2014, 03:03 PM
My big news........I got a jury summons. I don't mind serving and have done so several times, but I am not up to it physically . What irks me are the people who just don't want to be bothered.

Megan1982
03-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Michele, that's awesome! Congrats on your award! It is well deserved.

I ran the 5K yesterday and have been running enough since New Years that it actually felt ok. I didn't have to stop or walk (#1 goal) and I broke 30 minutes (#2 goal). It's a lot easier running without a dog pulling at me, but I think I'll take Emma next year anyway. BF said he'd hold her while I register next year, which was my concern and why I didn't take her. The cookoff all day raised a lot of money for our fire department and it was a beautiful day! I drank a few beers with a friend for his birthday and was at home asleep by about 9. Today I'm at the computer doing school work and eating a big mixed green, avocado, strawberry, and chicken salad (to balance out the beer yesterday :p). I'm hoping to finish before the sun sets and get the dog out for our exercise. I also finally found a dryer on a good sale and it's finally ordered. My dryer has been broken for 2 months and BF has started to make cracks about our porch looking like a prarie house with all the laundry laid out to dry. Now I really hope that when they want to deliver someone can actually be here.

Allison, sounds like DS is doing just fine managing his life skills. You must have taught him well. I do wish there was some class in late HS/early college that was required and included things like how to pay bills, what a 401k is and why you need one, taxes 101, insurance, etc. I've figured them out slowly but so many times have wondered why someone never explained this to me. We have a lot of mid 20's to early 30's people in my office and one of our favorite things to say is "being an adult is hard". :dizzy:

alinnell
03-02-2014, 03:47 PM
We had the most amazing fun at Rhythm, Wine and Brews yesterday. DD, DH and soon to be SIL went for the brews, while MIL and FIL and our friends sampled wine. We found our way to the VIP tent where they had fruit, cheeses and meats and crackers to munch on so the wine didn't affect us too quickly. DD said she "bonded" with DH! As if they hadn't bonded in her 23 years! The tasting went from 2 to 6 and then at 6 the main music started (there were small bands playing all day on the small stage). Buddy Guy was amazing and hilarious. I'm not a huge Aaron Neville fan and his 2 hour set was too much for us and we ended up leaving early (so we didn't get to see Big Bad Voodoo Daddy which was sad). We met new people and have invited them to our monthly wine women dinner at the end of the month. A fun day with only one sprinkling of rain! We were home and in bed by a respectable 10 PM.

Chronostasis
03-02-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm feeling good today, weight-wise. Changed up my routine and I'm seeing some slight weight drops again, after maintaining (alternately intentionally and unintentionally) for months. I'm at that weight where 3 or 4 lbs (even of water weight) makes a HUGE difference in how I feel, and it's great to be back on the happier end of that spectrum. I'm really starting to feel very close to true goal.