Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #1  

Question Acid Reflux? - Assistance needed

Hello All!

I am new to the site and I desperate for some answers, I had my RNY in July of 2008 at that time I stayed on nexium for 3 months and had no problems with heartburn.

Back in October (2013) I started to have acid reflux which has progressively gotten worse. Medication is not helping and I have had two Endoscopy which did show evidence of acid reflux and a hiatal hernia.

At this point I wake up feeling like esophagus is on fire and I go to sleep feeling that way. I have had my gall bladder checked and that is not the issue.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had this issue? What was the solution?
cheannmye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

for me - and i have NO idea if this will apply to you - i have to be sure that my tiny tummy is COMPLETELY empty before i lie down, or even take a nap sitting up.

you've tried elevating your head when you go to bed, right? sometimes that doesn't take care of it all, though.

what does your doc say? someone has to have some thoughts about how to help. Would maybe fixing the hiatal hernia help?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #3  
Releasing the inner hiker

I, unfortunately, have to be on a PPI (proton-pump inhibitor) for life, because of damage done by longterm GERD. I would ask your surgeon/physician if that is a course of action you need as well. GERD that goes untreated can cause damage, such as Barrett's Esophagus, which often leads to cancer. Thankfully, my WLS led them to discover this disorder before it became cancerous. However, I still need annual scopes to check on the progress of the disorder. So, please don't ignore your GERD symptoms; please follow up with your physician regarding longterm care.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote