Weight Loss Support - Do you stop eating after a certain time of day?

2feelbetter
02-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Do you stop eating after a certain time of day? I noticed a friend of mine at work the other day had lost a lot of weight. I asked her how she did it she said she basically stopped eating after 6:30 p.m. She also said she had been drinking red tea.

GlamourGirl827
02-22-2014, 10:31 PM
I try to...8pm.. but I dont always stick to it. I'd say once a week I eat late at night, and tonight is that night lol...apples n pb yum! haha

Wannabeskinny
02-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Do you stop eating after a certain time of day? I noticed a friend of mine at work the other day had lost a lot of weight. I asked her how she did it she said she basically stopped eating after 6:30 p.m. She also said she had been drinking red tea.

Yes, usually I stop at dinner time which is anywhere between 6:30-8pm. We don't eat dessert or after dinner snacks and I'm in bed usually by 11 if not earlier. I also have found not much need to eat before 10 or 11 am eventhough I'm awake by 6:30am every morning. A lot of people swear by this type of time restriction, it's called intermittent fasting.

mars735
02-23-2014, 10:55 AM
If I stop eating by ~7p, I'm up at 330 ready to start the day. To stay asleep until 530a, I have a small protein-ish snack right before going to bed ~1030p.

BigChiefHoho
02-23-2014, 11:10 AM
No. I tend to think it's all 'calories in vs. calories out,' and the time that you eat them doesn't matter. It might be easier for some people to eat fewer calories if they restrict eating to a certain time period, but for me I like to space it all out through the day and have a bit before bedtime too.

Terra1984
02-23-2014, 11:25 AM
I dont have a certain time I stop eating, I used to but I dont anymore and Im still loosing weight so its okay

yoyoma
02-23-2014, 11:26 AM
I have an eating window, so I don't eat after 8:30 PM (but I also don't eat before 6 PM).

I agree that it's about energy balance, and people should find the way of eating that works for them to maintain an energy deficit to lose weight. Choosing to avoid eating close to bed time can be helpful for some people. When you sleep, your body naturally makes leptin (which helps make you feel full). So if you can manage to go to sleep and get a good night's sleep without eating something close to bed time, you get a bit of a clean slate hunger-wise in the morning.

amandie
02-23-2014, 11:53 AM
I do, but not for weight loss reasons... I have bad reflux so I need to stop eating a few hours before bed, about 8-9pm.

I'm with BigChiefHoho on this one.

apo9
02-23-2014, 11:57 AM
I try to stop eating after 8pm mainly because I think the types of foods one often eats after 8 is usually high in calories like chips and snack foods.Often I work till 9pm and if I get hungry I drink a scoop of whey protein powder in water and that gets me through the night.

Olivia7906
02-23-2014, 02:12 PM
Yep, I'm an intermittent faster. I have an eating window and don't eat after a certain time period. But I get all my calories for the day in that eating window. For me, I like it. I think it works great. It also teaches me discipline and I've realized I don't need to eat all day everyday. I exercise twice a day and my energy levels are fine. The only day I don't do intermittent fasting is on Sunday.

freelancemomma
02-23-2014, 04:36 PM
I try to...8pm.. but I dont always stick to it.

Same here. If I eat beyond that time it's usually just a nibble, though.

F.

nelie
02-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Night time eating isn't an issue for me and my husband tends to want to eat dinner late so no. We might eat dinner at 8pm but it is more about calories throughout the day. Now if you are a night time eater, where you eat after dinner, then it might help you.

TamTam
02-23-2014, 09:48 PM
Hubby does not get home from work until 7pm or later so supper is the last meal of the day since it so late

Paulitens
02-23-2014, 09:49 PM
I should because otherwise I get bored and snack on (sugar free/fat free/whatever free) candy. LOL. And also because otherwise I keep on drinking water and spend the whole night up peeing. Booh.

Vex
02-24-2014, 09:52 AM
I know it should make no difference when you eat, but I definitely do better at losing weight when i stop eating at 7, 8 at the latest.

Munchy
02-24-2014, 10:24 AM
I don't have a set time, but dinner is my last meal of the day. I typically eat around 7 and it's my biggest meal. Then by 8 I put my child to bed and stay away from the kitchen :)

Larry H
02-24-2014, 01:44 PM
I usually stop eating each day at at midnight. After that I start a new day's eating again. :rofl:

No, wait a minute, that is what I used to do every day. Now I frequently will have an apple or orange as a snack in the evening but I have stopped all of my former high calorie snacking and constant refrigerator raids.

Following the Volumetrics plan has greatly aided me in cutting out snacking because my new eating plan leaves me with a full feeling instead of being hungry all of the time.

Sum38
02-24-2014, 02:10 PM
I usually stop at dinner which is anywhere between 5pm and 7pm.

ggbsy
02-24-2014, 03:01 PM
So I don't mean to highjack this thread but, how do you people manage to stop eating so early?

My day is: at work by 8am with coffee, 11am is breakfast, 1pm snack only if I am hungry, 3pm I leave work, 4pm is lunch time, 6:30 to 8:30pm is gym time. So nothing under like 9:30 or 10pm is possible for me.

magical
02-24-2014, 03:16 PM
I really don't think it matters if you eat late. Each person's body clock is different.

For example, some don't eat breakfast but I need to eat early in the morning because I'm a morning person and get up at around 4am. I also don't eat after dinner unless I'm hungry and by 10pm, I'm usually asleep anyway!

hhm6
02-24-2014, 03:32 PM
I stop eating around 7pm and I go to sleep late (1-2am) and I wake up around 7am everyday. For me, it's been huge!! As a student I was always snacking as I was studying, when I stopped eating at 7pm I started noticing I didn't really need the food, it was more "oh im studying, let's get snack!!' type deal. A lot of unnecessary calories would add up in the form of white bread, refined sugars, and sugary coffees (easy 500+ cals)

I also feel MUCH better now, and I sleep better too! I think it's a personal preference though, I feel like it has helped me have control over food more than anything else :)

Munchy
02-24-2014, 03:59 PM
So I don't mean to highjack this thread but, how do you people manage to stop eating so early?

My day is: at work by 8am with coffee, 11am is breakfast, 1pm snack only if I am hungry, 3pm I leave work, 4pm is lunch time, 6:30 to 8:30pm is gym time. So nothing under like 9:30 or 10pm is possible for me.

My day is 9-11 nurse my tea, 11:30 breakfast, 2:30 lunch, 4pm snack, 4:30 gym, 6:30-7 dinner.

Most of my dinners are super quick. I cook, freeze, and portion on weekends so I can just microwave/bake/etc what I want to eat. If I don't pull out something already made, I'm eating 10 minute meals like quesadillas, breakfast for dinner, fish tacos, zucchini noodles, flatbread pizza, sardines and rice crackers, salads, stir fry, seafood, roasted veggies, microwaved baked potatoes, etc.

I don't like to spend a lot of time cooking or cleaning dishes during the week :)

Wannabeskinny
02-24-2014, 04:18 PM

I'm awake at 6:30am and go to bed around 11. My initial reaction to this is that there's an extra meal in here. Of course everyone is free to do what they want, especially when it's working for them so this is no judgment, I'm just saying that it stood out at me as there being an extra meal in there. Even if it's my first meal of the day, if I eat at 11am that is lunch, I would never think of calling it breakfast. As long as it's a good lunch I can easily get to 4pm for a snack, then have dinner.

Pattience
02-24-2014, 04:36 PM
I plan to eat 3 meals a day and finish by 7pm. I find i am practicing resolve this way and can deal with a little bit of hunger that i find later in the evening. But its important for me not to stay up late because then i do start to get hungry. I'm not so hungry in the morning but i make myself have breakfast anyway so as not to get my meal timings out of whack.

In certain types of buddhist monasteries, they finish eating at midday which is the traditional rule laid down by buddha. Although these days those who live in the monasteries full time have "drinks" at 5pm and although they deny it, they stock up on calories again with sweets at that time. Its said to be "medicine" of all things. But anyway when i was there, i tried to avoid doing that but i ate so many calories at lunch time that by the end of the month i was putting on weight. I did alright in the first two weeks but we always had so many yummy desserts that i had to try each of them. Well i didn't have to but i wanted to eat them more than i wanted to practice restraint. So yes i put on weight even though i wasn't eating after midday. Breakfast was between 6-7am.

So yes limiting your time will work so long as you are also controlling your total calories.

Wannabeskinny
02-24-2014, 04:55 PM
I don't have a set time, but dinner is my last meal of the day. I typically eat around 7 and it's my biggest meal. Then by 8 I put my child to bed and stay away from the kitchen :)

Yes me too, once I put the kid in bed I stay away from food thoughts. If I find myself getting hungry I put myself to bed lol. I once heard that late night eating is a signal for your body craving more energy, so it's best to just go to bed.

HuggerBunny
02-25-2014, 04:33 AM
I usually don't eat for at least 4-5 hours before bed, and that's because I'm a stomach sleeper and find it uncomfortable to go to bed with food in my belly. Often I am rather hungry when I go to bed, but it doesn't really bother me. Then when I wake up in the morning, usually I'm not hungry right away (even if I was hungry when I went to bed and then slept for 7 hours), so I may not eat anything for 2 to 4 hours after getting up. That means there are usually about 15 hours between dinner and breakfast. Usually works fine for me!

I used to have acid reflux occasionally. Sometimes not at all for 2 or 3 months, then sometimes several days and nights in a row. Since I started trying to lose weight, it's gone away almost completely and I've only had it maybe once in 4 months. Not sure if it's because what I'm eating is different (I've cut back significantly on carbohydrates, but not fat and have increased the amount of meat and protein I consume) or if it's because I'm not eating before bed, but even when I wasn't trying to lose weight I didn't eat for a few hours before bed. The other day I also realized that I've not had a single headache since I started losing weight. It wasn't a problem before, but I had a headache once or twice a month.

Pattience
02-25-2014, 05:54 AM
I've often wondered if acid reflux was caused by having too much food in the stomach. Though i know that some foods cause it - chocolate, alcohol and no doubt other foods.

2feelbetter
02-25-2014, 04:26 PM
I work part time but my typical day would be.
Breakfast 7:30
Lunch Noon
Home by 3:30. Then the problems start as soon as I walk in the door I start snacking.:mad::mad::mad:
That's where all those calories come from.

Try to have dinner about 6pm then go to the gym.
Sometimes I switch it up and eat when I come back from the gym so that means I'm going to eat after 8pm

I always wonder when people eat their dinner that go to the gym.
My husbands theorynis he doen't want to workout after eating......so he doesn't workout :dizzy:

REmom0811
02-25-2014, 09:46 PM
I like to stop at about 8. but not for diet reasons. It's because I brush the kids' teeth at 9 and they can't eat after that, so i try not to either.

Makemethin80
02-26-2014, 12:48 AM
My last meal for the day is at 6pm which consists of steamed vegetables. I have found that it is much quicker to lose weight if I don't eat anything at night.

imperialistic
02-26-2014, 03:16 PM
I've banned food for myself after seven.
Not a morsel crosses my lips no matter how late I go to bes.
Otherwise my calorie count goes out the window

Velvet bean
02-26-2014, 03:31 PM
I stop eating when I reach my 1200 calories and it doesn't matter what time it is. But my evening meals are usually small, because I like a big lunch. :)

2feelbetter
02-26-2014, 07:24 PM
I've often wondered if acid reflux was caused by having too much food in the stomach. Though i know that some foods cause it - chocolate, alcohol and no doubt other foods.

I have the next step after acid reflux which is G.E.R.D. WHATs interesting is when I first went to see. The doctor my symptoms were not heart burn. I've never had heartburn. My symptom was throwing up. I new it was. A problem because I was always doing it. When I got in the car and sat down my food would back up. I now take nexium. I'm suppose 4o avoid certain foods but I don't.

If I eat late or I eat to much my food backs up. If it's late at night I'll take a Reglan which is fast acting.

LilDazed
02-27-2014, 08:06 AM
During the week- I workout at night in between 8:00 and 10:00PM. So I've been trying to eat dinner earlier (preferably before 6:00PM) and not eat before or after my workout.

Weekends differ greatly though depending on the plans.

Pattience
02-27-2014, 05:00 PM
I work part time but my typical day would be.
Breakfast 7:30
Lunch Noon
Home by 3:30. Then the problems start as soon as I walk in the door I start snacking.:mad::mad::mad:
That's where all those calories come from.

2 feel better
If you had a Dinner instead of snacking at 3.30 when you got home, you could avoid all the snacking and end up eating less and better food. I know this might muck about your routine with hubby but its worth being flexible.

if you do it like this, your lunch at noon could be a bit smaller so that you are hungry enough by the time of your early meal.

Or you should have a bigger lunch that can get you to dinner time without the need for snacking. I have noticed that when going out to work, its that time when work is over and you are on the way home that is the danger time for most people including myself. These days i don't go to work but being in the city for a day has similar aspects to it.

I have some friends who eat two meals a day. Their last meal is at about 3.30. they have breakfast at 11.00. Both are quite big meals. The guy goes for a daily swim and the woman spends most of the day working in the garden.

If you are going to the gym late afternoon or early evening, you probably should still have some thing to replace you energy. there is information i've read about how to do that correctly. You don't want to overeat and you need to eat the right sort of things. Its basically some protein to take care of the recovery and some carbs to replace the energy. You should put aside the concerns about putting back all the calories you just burned unless you are overeating. Its probably something like a protein bar and a banana, although i would eat something else instead of a bar as i don't care for that sort of thing.

Basically when you go to the gym, it should be mainly with the idea of building muscle (which increases your metabolism and strength thereby taking stress of your bones) and fitness, and much less about burning calories.

ChickieChicks
02-27-2014, 08:55 PM
I almost always eat something after 8pm. Usually a yogurt, dark chocolate square, cheese stick or small bowl of cereal. It "helps" me go to sleep (probably psychological) and doesn't out me over my cals for the day.

Waterbunny77
02-28-2014, 10:23 PM
No I don't. If I make myself stop eating at a certain time which would be on the early side I will wake up famished and I hate that feeling. It would probably help with weight loss (maybe) but I'm one who does not.