Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Addicted to soda...

View Full Version : Addicted to soda...

tinamariefitforme
02-22-2014, 07:13 PM
How do I break this habit? I am literally addicted to coca-cola:( I used to not be like this but now I crave it when I don't have it and I am not a coffee drinker so it wakes me up when I am getting tired and work and school. Helpful tips please?:?:

elvislover324
02-22-2014, 07:51 PM
Can you switch to diet or Coke zero just to start to wean yourself off? At that point, the calories will be reduced so it will benefit your diet a bit. Once I moved onto flavored seltzer (non-aspartame) I never looked back. I really only wanted the fizzle. Once I came off of coffee for the most part, I did one regular coffee a day (ie with caffeine) and the rest would be half decaf or full decaf. It's amazing how we can retrain our bodies to "like" what we want it to.

And....the amount of calories I would drink in a 2 liter of Coke/Pepsi/Mountain Dew, etc. a day actually grossed me out so I had to walk away from it.

amandie
02-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Switch to diet cola for now. How about tea? It has caffeine and you can drink it hot or cold with or without milk/sweetener.

One change at a time so you don't overwhelm yourself and feel like you want to give up, you know? Good luck!

Terra1984
02-22-2014, 09:12 PM
I drink Cherry Coke Zero and Diet Rite Cherry Cola

NemesisClaws
02-23-2014, 06:28 AM
What helped me to get off of my addiction, Barq Root Beer, was having other drinks to fall back on. I do my tea, apple juice, etc.

Also, I basically did the whole cold turkey option with my sodas because as long as it was in my house, I couldn't stop myself from drinking one. It was hard the first week or two, but after that, I honestly didn't really miss it all that much.

I did have my slip ups here and there, but as long as it wasn't all day, everyday kind of deal, I was ok with it. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had one....

nelie
02-23-2014, 08:41 AM
I did cold turkey way back when after college but then slowly let diet sodas creep into my life. Right now, I don't drink any sodas. I would have an occasional zevia but I even quit those. I drink plenty of unsweetened iced tea, water, water with lemon, etc.

icantbelieveit
02-26-2014, 06:44 PM
I switched from regular to diet when my mother got diabetes, from diet to diet caffeine free when I was trying to conceive, from caffeine-free to just plain water when I found out I was pregnant. Now, I occasionally have a little bit of soda, but I mainly drink water and sometimes some tea or coffee.

Good luck! It is reeeeally hard... but you can do it!

DrivenByAmbition
02-26-2014, 11:51 PM
I switched to tea and then I went cold turkey. It gets easier, and it's better for you.

Bunny1973
04-03-2014, 07:32 AM
I have tried to break my addiction so many times. Of all the people I've spoken to, those who drink diet Coke have it the worst. I'm always trying to break my addiction to diet coke but I'm never really free of it. I once didn't drink any for a year and I wanted one EVERY DAY.
Even though it's "calorie free" it has a caramel color in it that messes with my blood sugar and the sodium content messes with my BP but I cannot quit drinking it. It's not a caffeine thing. Other caffeinated drinks don't cut it. It's a chemical addiction.
Presently I'm down to ONE 20oz diet Coke a day. If I've done well all day I allow myself one with dinner. The problem is getting myself to replace what I was drinking in DC with water. I just don't drink anything at all.

Pattience
04-03-2014, 07:48 AM
My helpful tip is that you may be getting dehydrated. YOu may just be thirsty. Drink water and eat a piece of fruit or a sandwich. Get your energy from something else, not from a fizzy drink. That will be your quickest way to let coke go, i think.

I am a cold turkey kind of person.

It may take you more than one attempt in the long run but i think you should give it a try to ditch all soda and not replace them with something else equally lacking nutrition.

Tarisaande
04-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Does anyone find it's the carbonation, rather than the soda itself they are addicted to? I only drink diet, and only like soda, not any other sweet drinks because they are flat, or too sweet. For me it is the carbonation, pure and simple, I'll drink seltzer over water if it is actually available sometimes. I just won't BUY seltzer, because, you know, it is so much more a waste of money to buy unflavored carbontated water than flavored.

Locke
04-03-2014, 01:17 PM
I've never been addicted to sodas but I have cut them out before. Right now I have one diet coke in the morning on weekdays with my breakfast. I probably won't buy another pack next week. Carbonated water is great. I drink it plain.

Radiojane
04-03-2014, 01:23 PM
I was easily drinking a gallon of coke a day when I started. That was the first thing that I did, and I had to go cold turkey.

The detox was HORRENDOUS for about 3 days, but I did it, and it was a major step towards being able to change my way of eating and lose my first 100 pounds.

Now it's been 20 months since I had more than one every few months while out drinking.

Radiojane
04-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Does anyone find it's the carbonation, rather than the soda itself they are addicted to? I only drink diet, and only like soda, not any other sweet drinks because they are flat, or too sweet. For me it is the carbonation, pure and simple, I'll drink seltzer over water if it is actually available sometimes. I just won't BUY seltzer, because, you know, it is so much more a waste of money to buy unflavored carbontated water than flavored.

We have a soda stream that I use when I get the urge. I just carbonate the water and squeeze in the lemon, or throw in some blueberries.

Tarisaande
04-03-2014, 04:29 PM
We also have a soda stream, which we alternate between using constantly or being too lazy to operate. Cost-wise it doesn't seem to make much difference for us since we buy the dirt-cheap soda at Shaws, but when in sodastream mode I will drink a decent amount of seltzer as well. Husband doesn't drink seltzer, only flavored soda.

Yogini99
04-03-2014, 04:58 PM
I found that a green smoothie (fruit and spinach or kale) give me a huge burst of energy in the am. Better than coffee. If you are craving the bubbles, try club soda with lemon or even a little juice. It's delicious. When i crave soda, it's the bubble I really want.

xRiotGirl
04-03-2014, 05:10 PM
I switched to tea and then I went cold turkey. It gets easier, and it's better for you.

This is what I did, too. I just started having two cups of tea a day: one midday and one at night (+ a small cup of iced coffee in the morning). On top of that I started working water in -- sometimes I'd only have one glass in a day, but eventually (by eventually I mean only about 2 or 3 weeks later!!) I was all water all the time. It was HARD for the first week/week and a half, and then it just got exponentially easier. For me it was just a matter of getting past the initial withdrawals.

Good luck to you :)

Koshka
04-03-2014, 07:29 PM
I struggle with this also. In my case, it is Cherry Coke Zero. So, it isn't the sugar. It is the flavor and the caffeine. I have cut down on it. I had got down to just doing 2 in the morning (12 oz cans) but lately I've been creeping up again. I've been working on learning how to drink green tea as an alternative. Giving up caffeine is hard for me.

I think I just have to cold turkey it and quit drinking them since it is something that I find difficult to do in moderation.

mb2004
04-07-2014, 10:45 PM
I was drinking 5-8 mountain dews a day.... It sucked but I went cold turkey... Didnt buy it, Instead I carried a water bottle constantly. Now when I get a drink it seems really sweet (and that only took 2 weeks!!) I use green tea in my breakfast smoothie daily for my caffiene boost! Between the sugar in all the fruit and and the green tea it helps. you could also find another tea thats more caffienated as well....

Incase you want to know what my smoothies look like this is what I do....

I start by making green tea, I use two tea bags in 8oz of water. Then put that and 2 cups of kale in the blender. Blend it to a juice form. Then I add about 2 cups of whatever fruit I feel like I swear I ALWAYS! have strawberries in it (I always keep strawberries, peaches, mangos, and blueberries frozen in the freezer always) blend it again. Then add in a tablespoon or two of flaxseed and stir it in then boom pour it in my smoothie cup (and of course a little into my 1 year olds cup too or else I dont get to drink mine!)

MsMatic
04-13-2014, 10:18 PM
I had a serious Pepsi addiction growing up!
Starting when I was just a toddler and going all the way to my early 20s.
At that time, I started to get recurring yeast infections. Every time I'd get cleared up, I'd get another one almost right after.
My gyno told me it was from sugar. Yeast thrive on sugar.
He sent me home without a prescription and said to avoid all sugars except for natural sugars in fruit. Under any other circumstances I would've never given up Pepsi but within a few days the infection started to clear up on it's own and I haven't had one since!

I stuck with the no pepsi thing in fears that I'd trigger another infection and something AMAZING happened... I lost 20lbs!! Within 30 days!! I made no changes to my diet whatsoever.... It was all soda/sugar weight!!

After that I ended up switching to Diet Pepsi for a good decade.
Two to Three 2-Liters A DAY!! I drunk it straight from the bottle. :( Gross i know! Then out of nowhere, about a year and a half a go I just decided I didn't want to drink it anymore. I stopped buying it and never looked back.

Soda is extremely addictive though!!

free529
04-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Hi there! I have been researching about soda's and some sugar stuffs eventually. I found out that maybe it's really not the soda you really need. Your soda crave is actually your body cells craving for CALCIUM.

Try increasing your calcium intake thru supplements, vege's such as brocolli or milk. Hope this helps. If there's anything you need to ask, Just PM me :)

VioletDolphin83
04-13-2014, 11:51 PM
I used to drink 4 cans of diet soda a day. At my worst I drank a large bottle of it everyday. I was really addicted. Then me and my husband quit it completely over a month ago and I rarely get cravings for it anymore. It can be an expensive habit to have and that's part of the reason I stopped having it, that and the fact that it isn't particularly healthy.

Koshka
04-14-2014, 01:05 AM
I struggle with this also. In my case, it is Cherry Coke Zero. So, it isn't the sugar. It is the flavor and the caffeine. I have cut down on it. I had got down to just doing 2 in the morning (12 oz cans) but lately I've been creeping up again. I've been working on learning how to drink green tea as an alternative. Giving up caffeine is hard for me.

I think I just have to cold turkey it and quit drinking them since it is something that I find difficult to do in moderation.

To update this, I quit buying Cherry Coke Zero for the house. I've gotten to where I have iced green tea in the morning. Sometimes I put a little True Lemonade in it (no artificial sweetener but a packet has stevia and 1g sugar).

I do sometimes have diet Coke or Coke Zero when I'm out at a restaurant and I had one when I left the grocery store this week. I really plan to get rid of those as well. But at least I'm not having them every day any more.

tinamariefitforme
04-14-2014, 03:38 PM
It has been great to hear from everyone! This is the last week of lent and I have gone without soda for the most party, I went to a bar this weekend and my drink had a little bit of sprite in it Opps! But on a scale of 1 - 10 my craving for soda is like a 1 or 2 most days! I am so proud of myself!

free529
04-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Hi. Sometimes, soda craving is a misinterpretation of what you're body really needs. It's not the soda that your body is craving. It's the calcium. Your body needs more calcium. Try taking some time, a month or two, supplementing you calcium intake. You might want to take supplements, milk or healthy vege's such as brocolli rich in calcium.

Try this tip.

I'm a soda addict before. But I found out this one thru a program I am in now. It's 30 Day Sugar Free by Barry Friedman. If you have more problems about your sugar intake, just give me a hit. I share what I have learned to you :) God bless :)

EagleRiverDee
04-15-2014, 02:11 PM
For a mental boost, if you haven't viewed it already, watch "Sugar, the Bitter Truth" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM). It's long, but it will completely change your attitude about sugar. Sugar is no longer just a dietary no-no. You will see it as poison.