Ideal Protein Diet - Advice Please? I am starting to get really worried.

eandc2006
02-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Here goes guys...
I am not spotting at all this time around which I have ALWAYS done in the past within the first couple of days. I am on day 16 and not a drop.

I am not feeling hungry really until its time to eat (lunch, dinner, etc.). In the past, I was starving!

I have weighed the same for the past week. No cheats, following the program to a T. The last time I did a reboot I was down 3lbs more than I am now. Feels like its hanging on.

Drinking a lot of water but feel like I should be going more than I should.

I am waking up feeling bloated...wth? My ring even feels tight. How is this happening with such little food intake not to mention all the water? Usually, even if the scale remained the same, I felt skinnier when waking up. Not this time around.

I am FREEZING...especially in my extremities.

Issues with the big C have resolved I believe. I have been drinking smooth move the past two night and have went yesterday and today (sorry TMI).

So, here's my question. Do you think I could have really done a number to my thyroid hence being cold, not feeling hungry, not losing at the same pace as I was before? I am just concerned because so many things "feel" different on this reboot which makes me worry.

Sorry for the babbling. I am just feeling out of sorts here and really don't know if this is normal or what. Anyone else never spot? Isn't this a sign that I am not losing fat?

lisa32989
02-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Here goes guys...
I am not spotting at all this time around which I have ALWAYS done in the past within the first couple of days. I am on day 16 and not a drop.

I am not feeling hungry really until its time to eat (lunch, dinner, etc.). In the past, I was starving!

I have weighed the same for the past week. No cheats, following the program to a T. The last time I did a reboot I was down 3lbs more than I am now. Feels like its hanging on.

I am waking up feeling bloated...wth? My ring even feels tight. How is this happening with such little food intake not to mention all the water? Usually, even if the scale remained the same, I felt skinnier when waking up. Not this time around.

Issues with the big C have resolved I believe. I have been drinking smooth move the past two night and have went yesterday and today (sorry TMI).

So, here's my question. Do you think I could have really done a number to my thyroid hence being cold, not feeling hungry, not losing at the same pace as I was before? I am just concerned because so many things "feel" different on this reboot which makes me worry.

Sorry for the babbling. I am just feeling out of sorts here and really don't know if this is normal or what. Anyone else never spot? Isn't this a sign that I am not losing fat?

None of us can tell you what you've done to your thyroid. Have you had it checked?
One thing to be sure of is that you have a doctor who insists your thyroid function is "optimal" rather than just within normal limits according to lab reports. Remember, the lab reports are based on SICK people, not healthy people! Optimal is usually much more precise & the "okay" range is much wider.
I also know that there is what the Atkins folks consider a "golden opportunity" for weight loss on low carb. Many folks struggle more when they come back, which is why it is so important to learn to maintain, rather than yo yo (I'm not saying you've done this)

JLUS
02-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Here goes guys...

Ketosis makes your appetite shrink and often makes people feel cold in the extremities, so those are pretty normal. It can also release lots of hormones along with fat loss, so that could mess with your cycles.

What is your height and current weight and goal weight. The closer to goal the s-l-o-w-e-r the losses.

Maybe post a few days of what you have been eating and drinking and we can look for any hidden problems.

eandc2006
02-20-2014, 03:07 PM
Thanks all. I have not had my thyroid checked in quite some time but the last time they simply stated it was fine. Not sure if that means optimal...but I am going to guess not.

I suppose the strange thing is that I tend to gain anywhere from 4-6lbs in maintenance depending so I do reboots from time to time to kick it off and jump back in maintenance. I haven't done one since September. I didn't get on the scale this time before restarting (not the day of anyways) but did weigh several days before and was around 141. Today I am in at 135. I would like to get to 125, my goal is 130 but I seem, depending on the day, salt intake, TOM, etc to hang more around 135 when I would really like to be 130 at most. Anyhow, it just seems to be different this time with the lack of hunger, the NO spotting, and what seems to be slower losses. In September when I did 18 days, I was down to 132. I suppose I will just keep trekking along and see what pans out.

I so appreciate all of you!

mars735
02-20-2014, 03:48 PM
I can't offer anything re most of what you report except that when I was really on a roll in ketosis, etc. I noticed my hands would get like ice cubes. My coach had the same thing. I fell off program a few times and the cold hands were my first sign of being back in ketosis. I didn't have your other symptoms though. Anything that caused me to worry, I would check with both coach AND health provider. It's hard enough to stay OP without worrying if it's negatively affecting your health.

eandc2006
02-20-2014, 04:13 PM
Your right Mars...I think I will call my old coach because I this just seems weird to me. I don't go in anymore. OMG, I have been reading up on the golden opportunity thing and scaring the crap out of myself thinking 1. I will no longer be able to loose weight via IP, 2. I have damaged my body from the dieting and 3. that I am destined to gain it all back. Ughh, the internet is too much info for my brain at times and can send me into panic mode. Reading all the golden op stuff was making me feel awful like I was doomed and going to overweight for the rest of my life.

Did you have spotting at all? What about not being hungry?

Sunflower40
02-20-2014, 05:33 PM
maybe your body needs a new program, why not try something like southbeach where you are allowed some grains/fruit/avocado and see if that works. I am finding the same with me but with my wedding in 5 months I don't want to stop IP, once the wedding is over though I intend to try south beach or WW again. I think my body needs a break from this.

infoplease
02-20-2014, 05:45 PM
eandc2006,
Are you taking any supplements/vitamins?

eandc2006
02-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Infoplease, I am actually not taking the vitamins right now. One of them I am out of and I forget to take. Do you think this could be a culprit?

eandc2006
02-20-2014, 06:16 PM
Lisa....I know you are very knowledgeable about a number of things health and IP related and I imagine you are well informed and have done some research on the golden opp thing. What are your thoughts about this? Do you think there is any truth to it?

lisa32989
02-20-2014, 07:03 PM
Lisa....I know you are very knowledgeable about a number of things health and IP related and I imagine you are well informed and have done some research on the golden opp thing. What are your thoughts about this? Do you think there is any truth to it?

Yes I do, which is why I encourage people to follow the plan and get to goal and then phase off properly and focus on maintenance. I think this opportunity affects some folks more than others and also the more we cycle on/off the more we're apt to run into issues.

infoplease
02-21-2014, 01:02 AM
eandc2006, maybe lack of potassium is causing the bloating? The other stuff sounds like ketosis symptoms in general, just maybe not your personal typical ones. Was there anything different about what you were eating before this reset compared to when you have done it before? For example, maybe this time you were just eating too many calories from healthy foods and the last times you were eating too many calories from sugar and/or processed foods?

That golden opportunity stuff is interesting as well as the Phinney/Volek books, which I may purchase AND read.

Someone suggested maybe listing a few days of what you are eating. Maybe you can tweak that or go to p2 which is really just more protein and fat from your protein sources, you would still be in ketosis. Maybe you need the calories or maybe add an extra teaspoon of fat and see what happens.

eandc2006
02-21-2014, 10:19 AM
eandc2006, maybe lack of potassium is causing the bloating? The other stuff sounds like ketosis symptoms in general, just maybe not your personal typical ones. Was there anything different about what you were eating before this reset compared to when you have done it before? For example, maybe this time you were just eating too many calories from healthy foods and the last times you were eating too many calories from sugar and/or processed foods?

That golden opportunity stuff is interesting as well as the Phinney/Volek books, which I may purchase AND read.

Someone suggested maybe listing a few days of what you are eating. Maybe you can tweak that or go to p2 which is really just more protein and fat from your protein sources, you would still be in ketosis. Maybe you need the calories or maybe add an extra teaspoon of fat and see what happens.

Hey infoplease. I am doing some things differently. Before I used all IP products and now I am doing a mix of alternatives and IP products. The only alt I use is the EAS shake and there have been sometimes where I use it for bfast and my snack. I know that this is higher in sodium but I am pushing around 100oz of water each day. What a typical day could look like.

bfast- sour cream and chive crisps
lunch- pasta with 2 cups zucchini and red peppers
snack- orange drink or EAS RTD
dinner- 8 oz of hamburger with two cups veggies (I love zucchini and I eat it often, sometimes twice a day), 8 oz of chicken thighs (skinless of course) with 2 cups cucumbers and onions with rice vinegar and splenda (1 packet)

Today and yesterday I have added a hard boiled egg for some extra fat. Although I am not hungry perhaps I need the extra fuel. I also suspect that TOM will be arriving in the next week so perhaps that is some of my problem. I am going to stick to taking the supplements everyday for sure now and just hope that the scale moves. This morning it looks like I could be down a lb...I use a old scale that is not digital so it sometimes has to be adjusted several times before I get an accurate reading and keep it from jumping around. Thank you infoplease. You guys have no idea how much this helps. My husband this morning said I think you need to have a real meal and take a break for the day. Ummmmm, NO, I have been on 17 days and certainly not stopping now.

JohnP
02-21-2014, 11:23 AM
While I am all for going to see a doctor to me this sounds all pretty normal.

Your body is most likely adapting much faster to the P1 protocol. The adaptations are the appetite pattern and freezing you're feeling.

Lack of WEIGHT loss is easily explained by water retention which could be a number of things including stress and a lack of potassium.

IP is an extreme diet. It's a PSMF. I don't know how many reboots you've had but you may want to consider another means of maintinence rather than phase 4.

eandc2006
02-21-2014, 11:36 AM
While I am all for going to see a doctor to me this sounds all pretty normal.

Your body is most likely adapting much faster to the P1 protocol. The adaptations are the appetite pattern and freezing you're feeling.

Lack of WEIGHT loss is easily explained by water retention which could be a number of things including stress and a lack of potassium.

IP is an extreme diet. It's a PSMF. I don't know how many reboots you've had but you may want to consider another means of maintinence rather than phase 4.

You know John P, I must tell you I was hoping you would pop in here. I have always really valued your advice and find it very realistic. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do think that the water retention (which I can feel must be related to the potassium). Going to get back in the swing of taking my supps EVERYDAY!!!!!

What about this golden opp idea? I have been doing some reading on it and would love your opinion.

Bellamack
02-21-2014, 11:51 AM
eandc2006,

I am losing much slower this time on IP, although, I was a "slow" loser the first time around. I averaged over 5 months 1.7 lbs/week. I have had some thyroid issues and med adjustments. I suspect it needs a tweek, I get bloodwork done the first week of April. I have also had 2 surgeries in the last 6 months & I think it has made me retain fluids, although for my shoulder surgery I only took pain meds for 2 days and didn't take any for my knee, other than the first day.

I am post-meno, so can't help you on the spotting thing. I have probably ruined my metabolism by dieting so often over the last 15 yrs, before that I maintained a normal rate. The fact that we all are getting older, you will have to accept the fact that that doesn't "help" weight loss.

I am just taking the "slow-boat" and not worrying about it. :) good luck

Ruth Ann
02-21-2014, 11:57 AM
eandc2006,

I am just taking the "slow-boat" and not worrying about it. :) good luck

Bellamack - I have to tell you how much I enjoy your posts, you have such a wonderful attitude!

JohnP
02-21-2014, 05:00 PM
What about this golden opp idea? I have been doing some reading on it and would love your opinion.

Assuming one's body is functioning normally it's not true. Either you're in a caloric deficit or you're not. Following phase 1 you're in a deficit.

Dispite what IP liturature says carbs are not the reason one gains fat nor is a lack of carbs what causes fat loss.

Hawaii69
02-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Well, whatever IP teaches, it was right for me. Nothing including exersize has helped me this much! I love this plan!!

kdspirited
02-21-2014, 05:32 PM
I have the same problem this is my third reboot. I have to say the weight is coming off much slower 1.4 on average for me.

Hiker88
02-21-2014, 05:51 PM
I'm sure there are many places one can go if they want to be critical about IP. This site, however, is for people to be supportive of each other on the plan. I appreciate all you cheerleaders out there who keep encouraging me! Thanks everyone!

JohnP
02-22-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm sure there are many places one can go if they want to be critical about IP. This site, however, is for people to be supportive of each other on the plan. I appreciate all you cheerleaders out there who keep encouraging me! Thanks everyone!

Well, whatever IP teaches, it was right for me. Nothing including exersize has helped me this much! I love this plan!!

Do you people work for IP? I really don't see how these comments have anything to do with this thread, at all.

If you don't work for IP, than I would really suggest you stop treating the IP diet like a religion and instead actively invest in your own knowledge. This subsection of 3FC forum is for IP support which means people support one another. Support comes in many forms, not just cheer leading. My form of support comes from giving people knowledge and facts and yes, I am critical of IP for a number of reasons but that doesn't mean I think it is a bad plan it just means I know it is not perfect nor for everyone.

Why should everyone educate themselves on the fundamentals of fat loss and not just drink the IP koolaide? Simple. The real issue isn't how to lose fat but how to maintain after you've lost it. If the phase 4 rules aren't ones you can or want to follow then you're continually rebooting and if you dont' know any better you might think you didn't "phase off" properly. If you take an active role in learning about your body and general fundamental rules of fat loss/gain you're much better equiped to find a long term WOE (Way of eating) that works for you and keeps you at a happy and healthy weight.

Sunflower40
02-22-2014, 05:37 PM
JohnP, what is your take on cheat meals after being on protocol for weeks and not losing much? is it effective or harmful in the long run?

Bellamack
02-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Bellamack - I have to tell you how much I enjoy your posts, you have such a wonderful attitude!

Thanks Ruth Ann, I read all of your posts. You are so encouraging :)

Maile
02-23-2014, 07:53 AM
Eandc: In the book The Plan she says you can do a simple test for thyroid. Put a thermometer under your arm before you get up in the am. If the temp is below normal, you might have a thyroid deficiency. However, to be sure, I would get a blood test. I agree with the others about water retention and potassium being factors for retention. Hope you are feeling better.

Bellamack: It was good to see how you are doing. I hope your recovery from the two surgeries is going well. I agree with you..there are so many factors that can influence your metabolism ..and age is one of them. Keep your positive slow boat attitude!

John: I read your details. You have found a healthy lifestyle that works for you! Maintaining for two years is impressive! I like your informative honest posts!

Ruth Ann
02-23-2014, 08:30 AM
Why should everyone educate themselves on the fundamentals of fat loss and not just drink the IP koolaide? Simple. The real issue isn't how to lose fat but how to maintain after you've lost it. If the phase 4 rules aren't ones you can or want to follow then you're continually rebooting and if you dont' know any better you might think you didn't "phase off" properly. If you take an active role in learning about your body and general fundamental rules of fat loss/gain you're much better equiped to find a long term WOE (Way of eating) that works for you and keeps you at a happy and healthy weight.

John, you give good information and generally have a pretty straightforward approach which is refreshing. I think the objection comes from phrases like "not just drink the IP koolaide". I find it offensive to those of us who stay OP because it works for us. That doesn't mean we aren't learning a lot about nutrition and what works for us in terms of food but for you to refer to IP so derisively constantly is rather insulting. We're all adults here and have made a decision to use this program. You even state it works but by belittling IP it appears you seem to think we are all a bunch of zombies just mindlessly doing whatever the program says and, for the majority of the people here, nothing could be further than the truth.

So how about giving people a little credit? Just because we chose to follow IP for weight loss and use the basic principles to maintain doesn't mean we've learned nothing or haven't done our research.

And by the way, what I have learned is that I can never go back to eating carbs the way I did before IP. In my case (for many reasons I won't go into here) I am going to have to moderate my carbs for the rest of my life and that's a challenge I can live with and do so happily if it means I stay at a good weight and am healthy.

JohnP
02-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Ruth Ann you're right that I could be more diplomatic. I use strong words because I have strong feelings. In my opinion people should be more pragmatic and less dogmatic.

Sorry if I've offended you. I certainly don't think that all people following the IP diet are doing so blindly. I do assume that people are following it blindly though when any criticism of the diet is met with great offense.

Ruth Ann
02-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks John. Like I said, you do impart some good information and the more information people have the better equipped they are to make good decisions whether while losing weight or maintaining.

eandc2006
02-24-2014, 04:56 PM
Thank you all. I so appreciate all the feedback and John, thank you for the additional information. Like I said before, I really do appreciate your opinion because it is different and very informative and not a repeat of what the IP plan says (which I have gotten from my coach). In other words, I have often heard things that may not necessarily have been observed by my coach but shared with her through training and it seems very blanketed advice at times.

One question that I have is, how come with other low-calorie diets lilke WW for example, have I not been able to loose the amount of weight I do know with IP? I would love to know your position because it seems to be for whatever reason I stalled out on WW around 145lbs despite exercising.

On a positive note, the scale showed 132 this morning with only 7lbs to goal. I took the potassium on Friday evening and again Saturday and the weight came off. I really di suspect I was retaining water. Three weeks tomorrow OP. Hopefully this next 7 comes off within two weeks. I am ready to get back to my phase 3 bfasts. On another positive note, my hubby started IP today and is going to give it a shot for a couple weeks...only needs to loose 10lbs. With the way men loose, he may be done in a week.

eandc2006
02-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Eandc: In the book The Plan she says you can do a simple test for thyroid. Put a thermometer under your arm before you get up in the am. If the temp is below normal, you might have a thyroid deficiency. However, to be sure, I would get a blood test. I agree with the others about water retention and potassium being factors for retention. Hope you are feeling better.

Bellamack: It was good to see how you are doing. I hope your recovery from the two surgeries is going well. I agree with you..there are so many factors that can influence your metabolism ..and age is one of them. Keep your positive slow boat attitude!

John: I read your details. You have found a healthy lifestyle that works for you! Maintaining for two years is impressive! I like your informative honest posts!

Thank you! I think you were right about the potassium keeping me hovering at 135. I took my supplements Friday evening and by Saturday I was down to 132! What a difference a day makes. Amazing. I am always terrible about taking them. I am feeling so much better. Three weeks tomorrow OP and I think I will stay on until I get to 125...was originally going to just do 30 days but figured that since I keep hovering between 135-140 when I really would like to be at 130 max, I should just get down to 125 so I have some cushion so I do not have to do reboots as often. Not to mention I am so close. How are you?

infoplease
02-24-2014, 05:04 PM
I'm betting John will say it might be a function of calories in/calories out.
If you stall on weight watchers at 145 with exercise, then I would bet the calories are around 1450 (but certainly no lower than 1200?).
Depending on what you choose, p1 can be about 800 to 1000. A 500 calorie deficit is a pound a week.
What the combinations of vitamins, foods, & hormones do to increase or decrease metabolism that determines the calories burned, I don't know, but suspect that is part of the equation.

Sunflower40
02-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Thank you! I think you were right about the potassium keeping me hovering at 135. I took my supplements Friday evening and by Saturday I was down to 132! What a difference a day makes. Amazing. I am always terrible about taking them. I am feeling so much better. Three weeks tomorrow OP and I think I will stay on until I get to 125...was originally going to just do 30 days but figured that since I keep hovering between 135-140 when I really would like to be at 130 max, I should just get down to 125 so I have some cushion so I do not have to do reboots as often. Not to mention I am so close. How are you?

eandc I am terrible at taking mine too! maybe this is the answer??? I am going to be religious about it this week.

eandc2006
02-24-2014, 06:36 PM
Good insight. I am loving learning all of this.

eandc2006
02-24-2014, 06:37 PM

eandc I am terrible at taking mine too! maybe this is the answer??? I am going to be religious about it this week.

I lost when I took the pot. because I was retaining water

Bellamack
02-24-2014, 06:52 PM
Maile - Thank you, I am doing really well. You are someone I have followed for a few years, one of my idols. You did so well on the plan, but even better is that you have maintained.

JohnP
02-24-2014, 09:17 PM
I'm betting John will say it might be a function of calories in/calories out.
If you stall on weight watchers at 145 with exercise, then I would bet the calories are around 1450 (but certainly no lower than 1200?).
Depending on what you choose, p1 can be about 800 to 1000. A 500 calorie deficit is a pound a week.
What the combinations of vitamins, foods, & hormones do to increase or decrease metabolism that determines the calories burned, I don't know, but suspect that is part of the equation.

Yes.

Sunflower40
02-24-2014, 09:29 PM
John what about a cheat meal to shake things up if you're not losing? what's your take on that?

JohnP
02-25-2014, 08:35 PM
John what about a cheat meal to shake things up if you're not losing? what's your take on that?

You need to take the time to learn the difference between fat loss and weight loss for my answer to make sense.

My take is that you don't need to shake things up if you're not losing (in the context of the IP diet) because if you're following the plan you are losing fat, it's just that the scale is not reflecting it.

That said, a planned free meal can be a good break from a rigerous diet and can potentially cause retained water to be released. This is one reason I like "Rapid Fat Loss" over the IP diet.

Generally speaking though, you don't need to shake things up you just need patience. Easier typed than followed.

Hope this helps.

Sunflower40
02-25-2014, 11:25 PM
it does, patience is NOT my virtue, I need to learn that.
Thanks John

eandc2006
02-25-2014, 11:55 PM
Yay for good advice! Thanks John