Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Canned fish diet

View Full Version : Canned fish diet

IanG
02-19-2014, 10:19 PM
I've googled it. I've looked for it here. And I have looked for it there. But so far, I am the only crazy son b@tch that seems to be trying this long term.

Yep, canned fish for breakfast and lunch (skipping dinner) every day, combined with oats (for breakfast) or a salad (for lunch).

In terms of nutrition, it can't really be beat. Lots of protein, low fat, low calorie.

Some fish have mercury concerns but you can avoid that with good choices. And there are BPA risks with some cans.

Let's see if I live to tell the tale.

At the moment I am eating five cans a day.

Tomorrow, I will be eating a can of kippers, two cans of smoked oysters, a can of octopus in olive oil and a can of jumbo lump crab (with oats and salad).

Do or die or both.

novangel
02-19-2014, 10:35 PM
I've googled it. I've looked for it here. And I have looked for it there. But so far, I am the only crazy son b@tch that seems to be trying this long term.

Yep, canned fish for breakfast and lunch (skipping dinner) every day, combined with oats (for breakfast) or a salad (for lunch).

In terms of nutrition, it can't really be beat. Lots of protein, low fat, low calorie.

Some fish have mercury concerns but you can avoid that with good choices. And there are BPA risks with some cans.

Let's see if I live to tell the tale.

At the moment I am eating five cans a day.

Tomorrow, I will be eating a can of kippers, two cans of smoked oysters, a can of octopus in olive oil and a can of jumbo lump crab (with oats and salad).

Do or die or both.

:lol: I'm sure you will make it...and succeed. My only concern would be is this sustainable long term?

chubbybunny29
02-19-2014, 11:12 PM
Have you considered the amount of sodium & preservatives that might be in that much canned fish?

I don't really know about it all, just a thought - something you might want to check out with a 5 can a day consumption.

VioletDolphin83
02-20-2014, 03:45 AM
Well if you like it and it's working I don't see why it would be a problem. Sounds interesting. What fish do you eat and in what ways do you eat it (like on a salad etc)? How do you find out which fish has mercury and which doesn't?

Pattience
02-20-2014, 05:37 AM
Because of where the fish comes from and that should be noted on the packaging. And probably not buying fish from places like china where law enforcement about quality are not so stringent.

Pattience
02-20-2014, 05:41 AM
Ian, are you trying to promote this approach to dieting?

krampus
02-20-2014, 09:35 AM
I have to ask. Do your bodily secretions smell and taste of fish?

LilDazed
02-20-2014, 10:01 AM
*shudder* I can't do canned meat. GRILLED fish on the other hand....mmmmmm.

jendiet
02-20-2014, 10:14 AM
I don't know but my so eats lots of canned fish and he's very lean.

Serenity100
02-20-2014, 10:35 AM
When I eat water-packed tuna every day for lunch I find good losses on the scale. Kirkland brand from Costco is the best for me as far as quality and taste. I mix in a little mayo and some Mann's Broccoli slaw. This is the only canned fish I like, but hubby who is naturally thin eats, mackerel, salmon, sardines and anchovies and loves it.

The only thought I have is that some time ago they said that tuna had mercury and pregnant women should not eat. I don't know if it is still true.

Olivia7906
02-20-2014, 10:53 AM
If I could eat fish more than two consecutive days in a row I'd try it (as I like to try new things), however, for me, after two days of eating seafood, my body starts to reek. Yeah it's pretty bad for me :(

Radiojane
02-20-2014, 10:57 AM
I think about you every time I open my pantry. No lie. If you feel good, keep doing it. People lived on canned meat for years. Go nuts.

Arctic Mama
02-20-2014, 11:16 AM
I eat sardines daily for lunch when I'm maintaining and love it. Never get tired of it. I'm also eating a fair bit of frozen fish, too, and salmon we've caught (last night was the last filet in the freezer, so sad :( ).

I don't think you're crazy, though I know if I ate enough of it I could still gain weight. It's a great dietary staple, along with things like sea vegetables and nuts seafood is a nutrition powerhouse.

Arctic Mama
02-20-2014, 11:18 AM
I have to ask. Do your bodily secretions smell and taste of fish?

Haha! I'm not Ian but I can't say anyone has ever commented that I smell like canned fish. And I ate it daily while breastfeeding, but Holly never seemed to care. That said, she really likes sardines too, so maybe she's just acclimated herself to fishiness?

CherryPie99
02-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Personally, the mercury would concern me eating that much.

Have you tried the tuna that comes in the pouches? I love those - takes away the slightly tinny taste of the canned.

Desiderata
02-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Serenity - eating tuna every day probably is not healthy, in terms of mercury consumption. Here is a handy calculator to figure out what is a safe consumption, based on weight: http://www.ewg.org/research/tuna-calculator

This is also a good chart, to expand the conversation to more fish types than just tuna: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/fish-intake-and-mercury.html

Wish you the best, Ian. If it works for you, good. I know some people fine with mono-type eating over the long-run. I can't help but think how it's possible to have too much of a good thing, and that diversifying one's diet is protective (against too much of one thing, too little of another). I know you've done a lot of research though, and I'm glad you stay away from higher mercury choices!

ReNew Me
02-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Personally, the mercury would concern me eating that much.

Have you tried the tuna that comes in the pouches? I love those - takes away the slightly tinny taste of the canned.He's getting way less mercury eating canned sardines and kippers than you are eating pouch tuna.

CherryPie99
02-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Yes, but I eat 1 pouch per week, not 5 per day.

ReNew Me
02-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Yes, but I eat 1 pouch per week, not 5 per day.You could still get more mercury in one pouch of tuna that he gets in 20+ cans of sardines, seriously. Check the numbers if you don't believe me (I compared 6 oz of albacore tuna to 110 oz of sardines):

http://www.gotmercury.org/article.php?list=type&type=75

What's really mind boggling is if you go for something more exotic, like swordfish. One little 6 oz steak and you've consumed more than 400% of the EPA's recommended amount of mercury for the week in one meal.

krampus
02-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Haha! I'm not Ian but I can't say anyone has ever commented that I smell like canned fish. And I ate it daily while breastfeeding, but Holly never seemed to care. That said, she really likes sardines too, so maybe she's just acclimated herself to fishiness?

At the risk of TMI I can tell what I've been eating recently based on how I sweat - onions and garlic are big telltale stinkers - and if I eat enough tuna I'll notice a hint of that, too!

IanG
02-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Wow, thanks for all the great comments.

I couldn't turn down responding to this one:

have to ask. Do your bodily secretions smell and taste of fish?

I get very bad gas. It is a combination of the fish, a lot of protein in the fish and kimchi. It smells very bad.

My skin has started to smell a little of fish. I don't notice it but if I wear a sweatshirt around the house for days on end and forget to wash it, I can smell a faint odor of fish on it. Sometimes when I sweat, I can smell fish. But that is rare.

Now for TMI. My poop does not smell of fish. But it is VERY oily.

My urine smells funny. But again not of fish.

So, yes, it does have a small impact. One I can live with. Not so sure about my wife.

On the mercury, there are surprisingly few fish you need to watch out for. I try to avoid eating on a regular basis tuna, large mackeral and swordfish.

Wild Planet sardines in water, Vital Choice wild sockeye salmon, salted anchovies (rinsed) and Polar kippers are my daily staples. There are some awesome online deals with these.

Polar kippers come on Amazon every now and again for $25 for 18 cans. Elsewhere I have also found 48 cans of wild planet sardines for $92.48 including shipping and 48 cans of Vital Choice sockeye salmon for $156.98 including shipping. That being said, some of my more niche canned fish comes in at close to $10 a can...

Here is a list of my main canned fish goodies:

Fat Calories Protein Carbs
Millers jumbo lump crab 1 120 26 0
Wild Planet Sardines 5 183 33 0
Roland Marinated Mussels 8 150 22 0
Wild planet shrimp 2 80 16 0
East Point shrimp 2 100 22 0
Cockles 1 50 8 4
Skipanon Smoked sturgeon 2.8 132 24 0
Smoked clams 10 150 16 0
Chicken of the Sea Smoked oysters 14 240 22 4
Roland Eel 32 340 12 1
Cod liver 24 246 5 1
Large can of Mackeral 24 540 78 0
Octopus with vegetables 16 240 16 8
Smoked rainbow trout 16 260 28 0
Skipanon Smoked steelhead 21 315 36 6
Albacore tuna 20 400 56 0
Sprats 26 354 32 2
Chipotle Cod 3 171 39 0
Smoked Halibut 5 249 36 0
Small can of mackeral 9 180 27 0
Medium can of mackeral 21 411 62 0
Octopus in oil 12 220 24 6
Squid in ink 18 240 16 4
Wild planet Canned sockeye 9 210 36 0
Vital choice canned sockeye 16 340 48 0
Bar Harbor Smoked Wild Kippers 28 350 39 0
Ekone original oysters 5 165 17 11
Ekone teriyake oysters 6 180 11 20
Ekone lemon pepper oysters 6 165 17 12
Ekone barbeque oysters 5 195 15 21
Ekone habanero oysters 6 165 20 9
Ekone smoked sturgeon 3 123 23 0
Crown Prince smoked oysters with chilli 8 150 11 8
Skipanon Smoked chinook 21 315 30 0
Ocean harvest Dungeness crab 1 120 26 0
Bar Harbor Clams in water 1 67 12 0
Polar Kippers 12 162 14 0

Sum38
02-20-2014, 03:22 PM
Yumm! I could do a fish diet. You may be onto something!

IanG
02-20-2014, 09:26 PM
I am gaining though, now I am weight training....a lot. I hope it's muscle. The protein in the fish should be good for that.

crispin
02-20-2014, 09:30 PM
So, yes, it does have a small impact. One I can live with. Not so sure about my wife.

:lol:

I love fish and would eat it every day, but sadly I'm also in the camp that can't go more than 2 consecutive days before I start to smell like a sea creature.

IanG
02-20-2014, 09:47 PM
I am evolving into a sealion.

There are some interesting other benefits and costs though:

Benefits...

1) my hair looks great. I don't need to use shampoo any more. I just get in the shower and go.

2) my eyes look amazing. The whites are better.

3) skin. Less wrinkles and pimples. Acne has gone.

4) head. I can read stuff at work now. And concentrate better.

Costs...

1) smell, bathroom (see earlier posts).

2) skin. I know I said this was a benefit, but I am more prone to cracked skin on my hands. Weird. But I swear it's the fish and specifically the anchovies.

VioletDolphin83
02-21-2014, 04:04 AM
Sounds like the benefits outweigh the costs. After reading this thread I decided to buy some canned fish to try.

ReNew Me
02-21-2014, 05:46 AM
I am gaining though, now I am weight training....a lot. I hope it's muscle. The protein in the fish should be good for that.Scale is useless for tracking muscle gain/loss. It only measures overall body weight.

Assuming that measuring your body composition via water is not an option (although it's the gold standard to measure fat to lean) you have to understand that the scale is kind of useless to measure muscle gain. The easiest thing you can do to track progress is to take a tape measure and get baseline body measurements (tape measure should always be level and not overly compressing tissue): Neck, upper arm, upper chest (under arms), "bust" (nipple level), waist (for men, at bellybutton, for women waist and bellybutton are generally two measurements), hip, upper thigh, mid thigh, mid calf. These should be repeated once per week.

As long as the measurements go up somewhat equally, yeah, you're gaining muscle, especially if your strength gains steadily go up. If you gain ONLY in say, your hips or abdomen, especially accompanied by no strength gains, that's an indicator you're headed down the wrong path and need to revise your diet or workout (or both).

Thinking of it as a work in progress, not a one time shot helps. Basically you are constantly striving to be the best you that you can achieve. It's not a chore, it's a lifetime goal.

Wannabeskinny
02-21-2014, 09:19 AM
What is it about the canned fish that's so appealing to you Ian? I mean there is just no beating fresh fish. Even frozen fish can be so wonderful from Trader Joe's and it's a fraction of the cost of fresh. I mean, canned fish is fine once in a while but a whole diet of it - it's just .... I don't know it's just makes me so sad to think of it.

Munchy
02-21-2014, 09:29 AM
I always have a stock of canned fish on hand. Sardines are my absolute favorite (I had them for breakfast yesterday) but the interesting sauces/varieties of seafood from the Asian market are great!

I also eat fresh seafood when I can splurge - one grocery store near here has local and never-frozen seafood, but it's pricey for me to go often. I always have frozen white fish filets and frozen scallops too.

kaplods
02-21-2014, 11:22 AM
I find it interesting that your animal protein choices would ever be considered sadly limited when it's so mainstream in the US (at least in the midwest) to eat far fewer.

It's sadly not unusual for many people to eat beef and chicken (and pork, but only if you count bacon, ham, and sausage) almost exclusively during most of the year (holiday turkey being the exception).

Most of the "fresh" fish available in noncoastal states is actually defrosted from frozen, or never-frozen that isn't so fresh anymore. Freezing is often done on the fishing boat, and canning is done pretty quickly too.

From a nutritional and food safety standpoint, canned and frozen seafood is often better than any fish that isn't minutes out of the water.

As for flavor, there's at least as much flavor variation in canned fish as in non-canned.

Canned foods (and organ meats, which is another story) are unfairly stigmatized in the USA because of their associated with poverty - foods you eat because you have to, not because you want to.

Almost ten years ago, my husband and I had to file bankruptcy due to job loss and our out-of-pocket medical expenses (and our medical insurance paid 90% of expenses with no deductible). As a result, for about two years, we had to seek out the cheapest
of the cheapest food sources.

Canned fish was literally a lifesaver. In the local Asian markets I discovered an astonishing array of canned fish, just in the "Smiling Fish" brand alone.

I went through a bit of an obsessive canned-fish diet myself, and not only because I had to, but because flavors were just so amazing, especially for the price.

You can't find many foods that are healthy, cheap, tastey, and ready-to-eat, but canned fish are one of the rarest of exceptions.

I eat more variety now, and haven't been eating nearly as much canned fish as when I first discovered them, but I also haven't been losing any weight lately, either.

I may have burned myself out a little on canned fish, in my quest to try as many as I could find, but I wasn't deprived in flavor, nutrition, or variety.

If you can find an Asian or global market, sardines alone, can be found in an amazing variety of sauces. Some are a bit high in fat and even sugar by proportion, but even the sweet varieties tend to be very filling and satiating, so you (or at least I) end up eating less.

All this canned fish is giving me a craving for Smiling fish sardines or mackerel in green or red curry sauce. I may have a can in the pantry. Otherwise I'll have to make a trip to our nearest Asian grocery (only five blocks away). The store must carry at least three varieties of fish in at least five different styles of southeast asian curry sauces. And that's not counting other types of canned seafood, like fried clams with chilies.

The fried clams with chillies are one of my favorites, and while the fat and sugar content are a bit high compared to other products, the flavor is so intense I usually only eat about 1/3 of a serving at a time.

Geez, now I'm hungry for those too.

Sum38
02-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Had fish for dinner, tilapia, yumm-o!

Silverfire
02-21-2014, 11:37 AM
I've taken a page from Ian's book and started having canned fish as a mid morning snack, I'm really enjoying it. There are lots of varieties. I'm mostly stuck on tuna, because it is all I know. But I picked up some salmon, crab and one other to try out. Can't beat it for convenience!

kelijpa
02-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks Ian for starting a great thread, like most the canned tuna (and smoked oysters) were all I ate as far as canned fish, DH regularly eats fish steaks, sardines, that sort of thing, so I started eating those once in awhile, he even got me to eat that squid in ink, it was excellent with rice and mussels.

We've been eating more frozen fish as well, tilapia, cod, pretty much we only eat meats on the weekend lately and have been losing at a nice slow pace, whereas for quite awhile I was stuck at about 10 pounds heavier.

Anyway, as usually happens, I found Kaplods post very interesting. It is funny how it's ok if you only eat hamburger and bacon that's accepted but if you only eat fish or vegetables you can't be eating healthy... Thanks for the suggestion to try the Asian market for different varieties.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I always thought smoked oysters were an indulgence and high calorie, but a whole tin is really not that bad, years ago when I did the exchange plan with WW I ate more fish because it was 2oz. fish to 1 oz. meat, I think sausage was 2x the opposite way so naturally I ate less of that.

I'm a big believer in trying new things, so I'm going to try some different fishies and different sauces and see what I like.

Best to all :sunny:

IanG
02-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Thanks and so much great information. I did not realize there would be so much interest. And thanks for the tips ReNew Me.

I like canned fish because fresh or frozen fish is a hassle to store and prepare. Cans keep for years, are cooked and already portioned out. And the nutrition facts are on the side of the can!

Cost is a bit of a factor but I do splurge on the gourmet stuff so I am not going cheap. But less wastage is a definite plus.

I do try to eat the lower calorie canned varieties though so am wary of stuff in sauces. I buy in water or own juices if I can and olive oil if I cannot.

Yesterday I took a delivery of a case of Ekone Smoked Oysters and Ekone Smoked Sturgeon. Today, I should have 14 cans of Crown Princes Natural Smoked oysters with chilli arriving.

BillBlueEyes
02-21-2014, 12:46 PM
For lunch, I had King Oscar sardines in EVOO. So tasty. Thanks for the reminder; I'm a big fan but forget to dig them out of the pantry and eat them.

After kaplods enthusiastic post, I'll try to get to one of the big Asian markets in Boston to try some different sardines.

Wannabeskinny
02-21-2014, 12:50 PM
I don't see what bacon or hamburgers has to do with this at all. Beyond an occasional tuna sandwich it salad, some anchovies in a dressing or sauce, that's as fat as I go. They definitely have their place in a healthy diet. I find the idea of eating several cans of fish per day kind of repulsive and only eat fish once or twice a week usually sushi or fresh broiled fish at home. I wouldn't eat canned tuna everyday any more than I'd eat bacon everyday.

I don't associate it with poverty, buy its a palette buster for me. I'd rather splurge on fresh food and I'm not rich by any means. In Ian's case judging from past threads this is kind of an obsession. A diet that consists of this much canned food and beer is not my aspiration of healthy. One can lose weight on any diet, doesn't mean it's healthy.

Arctic Mama
02-21-2014, 12:50 PM
I am evolving into a sealion.

There are some interesting other benefits and costs though:

Benefits...

1) my hair looks great. I don't need to use shampoo any more. I just get in the shower and go.

2) my eyes look amazing. The whites are better.

3) skin. Less wrinkles and pimples. Acne has gone.

4) head. I can read stuff at work now. And concentrate better.

Costs...

1) smell, bathroom (see earlier posts).

2) skin. I know I said this was a benefit, but I am more prone to cracked skin on my hands. Weird. But I swear it's the fish and specifically the anchovies.

You may be onto something, one weird change I noticed this year was my skin cracking on my hands, most specifically around my fingernails. Never happened to me before and nothing changed but fish consumption. Huh.

novangel
02-21-2014, 01:30 PM
I eat a lot of fresh salmon...maybe I will look into canned.

love2b150
02-21-2014, 10:02 PM
At the risk of TMI I can tell what I've been eating recently based on how I sweat - onions and garlic are big telltale stinkers - and if I eat enough tuna I'll notice a hint of that, too!

krampus I notice it when I eat whiting fish ... it's really bad.

CherryPie99
02-22-2014, 09:14 AM
I also prefer fresh fish. We have an extra freezer, so storage is not an issue. Here in Northern NY fish tends to be a bit pricey. Last week I totally scored when they had fresh Mahi Mahi for $4.99/ lb!!

Serenity100
02-22-2014, 12:36 PM
If you want some gourmet canned fish cheaper than usual price, try Marshalls, TJ Maxx or Homegoods. That's where I buy for hubby.

kaplods
02-22-2014, 02:46 PM
If you want some gourmet canned fish cheaper than usual price, try Marshalls, TJ Maxx or Homegoods. That's where I buy for hubby.

Asian markets are usually even cheaper, with a much larger variety and selection. The USA has strict import standards and Thailand's food safety standards are just as strict (if not more so, especially in regards to fish).

Asians in general, and Asian-Americans in particular, tend to be very choosy about their fish, so the quality in Asian market canned fish is generally excellent. Most of the labels (where I have shopped, anyway) are written in multiple languages, almost always including English.

Just as with American-canned foods, you do need to read the label for ingredients you wish to avoid, but I've found that the asian brands, especially from Thailand are of better quality and flavor than American "gourmet" brands. You get gourmet quality exotic seafood for the price of cheap, chunk tuna.

As to those that come in sauces, there are many low-fat, low-carb, and low-calorie options. One of my favorites is sardines in tom yum sauce (a low-fat, low-calorie, water-based hot and sour marinade) and another is sardines with pickle flavor (which is nothing like you'd expect. I expected it to be sour, but it's really not, just mildly spicy. I's packed with a carrot and jalapeno slice).

Chili sauces can sometimes be sweet (so if you're watching carbs, read the label to make sure it fits into your carb and calorie budget), but many varieties are low-fat, low-carb, and low-calorie.

Barbecued eel is very yummy, but finding a brand that isn't extremely high in sugar is a bit challenging, but not impossible.

Same with the fish in curry sauces, some are high in fat and/or sugar, and some are not. Sometimes the fish are fried before canning, so again you have to read labels.

Overall though, the variety, price, quality, and flavor in Asian market canned seafood is exceptional, both in imported varieties and in American-made seafood marketed to Asian-Americans.

The same is true of frozen fish in Asian groceries. However, if you're not a fan of fish with many small bones, be aware that in general, Asian people are far more concerned with flavor and quality than "boniness." I tend to agree that eating carefully (using your fingers if necessary) is a small price to pay for really good fish.

Zigzagzoom
02-22-2014, 03:35 PM
There are FDA guidelines for safe consumption amounts for canned fish. Watch out for in safe levels of mercury.

kaplods
02-22-2014, 05:10 PM
There are FDA guidelines for safe consumption amounts for canned fish. Watch out for in safe levels of mercury.

The guidelines and mercury levels have to do with the kind of fish, not the canning process. Mercury levels are cumulative, so in general, the fatter, larger, and older the fish, the more mercury ( whether fesh, frozen, or canned).

It's they type of fish you need to consider, not the fact of them being canned or not.

The smaller, younger, and lower on the food chain, the lower the mercury levels. That's why sardine, smelt, and kippers are such great choices.

IanG
02-22-2014, 05:27 PM
I do like canned crab from Thailand. That is a real delight. Easily on a par with Dungeness which I also love.

Arctic Mama, yeah the skin splitting is nasty. Mine is also around my nails and specifically down my finger tips/thumb tips. I have about four at the moment and it hurts to type! Super glue worked well to fix them (!) but products such as new-skin seem to be the health-preferred solution. I had assumed mine were from filleting and rinsing 10 salted anchovies every night but (assuming you do not do this!), it could be the fish itself. Or just the weather.

I went grocery shopping today so got to the fresh fish counter. It's nearly spring so they had some shad roe available which I had never tried before.

It was 13 bucks but I bought some and fried it up to have with my salad. Delish!

Speaking of Thailand, I fly to Bangkok tomorrow for work. I am there a few days before visiting Myanmar. In Thailand I fully expect to eat fresh fish and work out as much as I can. That should be a good test for the skin splits to see if they get any better.

Trigger alert. This place (http://www.mandarinoriental.com/bangkok/fine-dining/lord-jims/) looks awesome. I am going to try to eat there every day.

Pattience
02-22-2014, 05:48 PM
I don't know the ultimate truth on it, but BPA's in canned food are something worth considering. I had a link that explained it all well the other day. Was going to post it but didn't get around to it.

Anyone contemplating eating lots of canned food should probably read a few articles about BPA. Its a chemical thing given off by the lining of the can.

IanG
02-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I have read about BPA. I am willing to take the risk.

But there are a few BPA-free brands out there that I also eat a lot of. For example, Wild Planet and Vital Choice are (mostly) using BPA free cans now.

Thousandsunny
02-23-2014, 10:26 AM
For lunch, I had King Oscar sardines in EVOO. So tasty. Thanks for the reminder; I'm a big fan but forget to dig them out of the pantry and eat them.

After kaplods enthusiastic post, I'll try to get to one of the big Asian markets in Boston to try some different sardines.

If you're near Boston (or in Boston!) there's Hong Kong Supermarket on Comm Ave, right off Packards Corner and it's fairly well stocked with goods.

And then there is Ming's in the South End right off the bus at East Berkley and Washington (and they've got their own parking lot).

I'm not sure where you are in the city but I figured I'd throw some out there. :D

kaplods
02-23-2014, 02:19 PM
I don't know the ultimate truth on it, but BPA's in canned food are something worth considering. I had a link that explained it all well the other day. Was going to post it but didn't get around to it.

Anyone contemplating eating lots of canned food should probably read a few articles about BPA. Its a chemical thing given off by the lining of the can.

If you're worried about exposure to BPAs and other xenoestrogens, the first and foremost thing to eliminate would be all food-touching plastics from plastic wrap to plastic storage and serving containers.

While bpa is only present in some plastics, there are many other chemicals in plastics, and we don't yet know the effects of all those other components.

I'm more trusting of the FDA and more skeptical of food safety scares than most people. When there's a new food safety scare, I do my homework and read the research articles or at least the abstracts of pertinent research.

So the evidence has to be strong for me to be concerned and even stronger to spur me into action.

All that being said, as a woman with hormone issues, approaching menopause, a little extra estrogens might not be such a bad thing, but even so, I have made changes to reduce BPA and other synthetic exposure, but I'm far less concerned with can liners as other food storage. The biggest risk being microwaving food in any type of plastic container.

I try to keep plastic out of the microwave (even plastic wrap that isn't touching the food directly), I've replaced most of my plastic storage containers with glass. I only use plastic for drygoods like flour, rice, and such. Eventually, as my budget allows, I will be swapping those out for glass as well.

Avoiding cans with BPAs in their liners while still using plastic containers and plastic wrap is like trying to discourage burglers by locking a window while leaving the doors unlocked and wide open.

I pick my battles based on a factual research-based assessment of the risk. Bigger risks get eliminated before smaller risks, which is why I've replaced plastic containers with glass but eat canned food - why I use artificial sweeteners in moderation, but do not use dryer sheets, carpet fresheners, or strong cleansers - and why I rarely wear cosmetics and fragrances, and am very picky about those I choose.

Steelslady
02-25-2014, 12:02 AM
If you're worried about exposure to BPAs and other xenoestrogens, the first and foremost thing to eliminate would be all food-touching plastics from plastic wrap to plastic storage and serving containers.

kaplods- whenever I come here, I always look for your posts all over the board. I love how you educate and help others, by providing sensible advice and excellent research, without being judgmental, harsh, or rude to other posters. Just wanted to say thank you for all the great posts and the wealth of information you provide on here on a daily basis. Also, congratulations to you on your wonderful weight loss. After several medical issues now being cleared up, I am hoping to finally get this weight off now. I hope to enjoy the success that you have so far- keep going, you're doing great! :carrot:

IanG
03-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Found the 'Smiling Fish' brand in Thailand kaplods. 80 cents a can. Absolute bargain and delicious. I also bought a dozen or so cans home with me. Cockles in chilli. Clams in chilli. And fried eel in chilli. Yummy! It's just fish in a can too. No oil or anything to drain. Fantastic!

Then there was the Spanish baby squid in olive oil found at Frankfurt airport. 15 bucks a can. But oh gosh, so wonderful! A dozen of those also made it back. A rare treat.

mars735
03-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Found the 'Smiling Fish' brand in Thailand kaplods. 80 cents a can. Absolute bargain and delicious. I also bought a dozen or so cans home with me. Cockles in chilli. Clams in chilli. And fried eel in chilli. Yummy! It's just fish in a can too. No oil or anything to drain. Fantastic!

Then there was the Spanish baby squid in olive oil found at Frankfurt airport. 15 bucks a can. But oh gosh, so wonderful! A dozen of those also made it back. A rare treat.

I think there is material for a book here. Although I personally don't care for fish of any kind, I love reading about your canned fish adventures. The items you found on your trip sound exotic and truly delicious for piscivores. looking forward to reading more.

IanG
04-03-2014, 06:59 PM
I thought I would reignite this thread.

I have been enjoying some fabulous canned fish recently.

Specifically Ekone smoked oysters

and

Vital Choice Sardines packed in water with no salt added.

Google them.

Yum.

I am still eating 5-6 cans a day (of different varieties).

Not dead yet.

kaplods
04-03-2014, 08:29 PM

Somehow I missed this post when you posted it. I LOVE Smiling Fish's clams in chili and fried eel in chili (haven't seen the cockles).

In our local asian grocey stores, the price per can tends to run .85 to 1.20, so it surprises me that the markup isn't much higher.

I was hesitant to try my first can of Smiling Fish clams in chil. It freaked me out a little, because I'd never seen dry canned items before. I knew from the rattle of the can there was no liquid, but opening the can and seeing no liquid still felt odd, but the flavor!

I found and bought a new brand of sardines (new to me) yesterday in our favorite Asian stote, but haven't tried them yet. The brand is Lido from the Phillipines, and the flavor is Sardines in Tomato Sauce, chili added. 60 calories, 2.5g fat, 3g carbs, 6g protein per serving (one fish, 3 servings in the whole can.

I didn't read the label carefully enough and thought the info was for the whole can (which did seem too good to be true).

I think of this thread now everytime I see any variety of canned fish.

I like fresh fish for dinner, but for lunch and snacks, I like the more intense flavor of canned. Smoked oystets are one of my favorites.

IanG
04-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Thank kaplods. I'd be happy to post you a can or two (free of charge, of course, to a fellow 3FC-er) of the smiling fish cockles if you are interested in trying them! I know exactly what you mean about the "dry rattle". It is so weird, but so delish!

On smoked Oysters, I am in love with Ekone Oysters here in the US. $5.50 a can. But oh...my...goodness (I'd also post you one of those, if you'd like a try...they are that good).

I am unashamedly on two-cans-a-day of smoked oysters at the moment in addition to my other canned fish.

Tomorrow, I will be eating:

(with oats for breakfast) Ekone canned smoked oysters with lemon and pepper and Vital Choice canned Sardines

(with salad for lunch) Skipanon canned steelhead trout with East Point canned shrimp and Ekone canned smoked oysters.

Here is my stash:

kaplods
04-04-2014, 08:57 AM
Thank kaplods. I'd be happy to post you a can or two (free of charge, of course, to a fellow 3FC-er) of the smiling fish cockles if you are interested in trying them! I know exactly what you mean about the "dry rattle". It is so weird, but so delish!

On smoked Oysters, I am in love with Ekone Oysters here in the US. $5.50 a can. But oh...my...goodness (I'd also post you one of those, if you'd like a try...they are that good).

I am unashamedly on two-cans-a-day of smoked oysters at the moment in addition to my other canned fish.

(with oats for breakfast) Ekone canned smoked oysters with lemon and pepper and Vital Choice canned Sardines

(with salad for lunch) Skipanon canned steelhead trout with East Point canned shrimp and Ekone canned smoked oysters.

Here is my stash:

Thanks Ian, but hubby reminded me that we do have them locally, so I can save you the shipping.

I had forgotten because the store that carries them is across town (actually a town over to be technically accurate). Now that we live only a few blocks from one of the nicest asian stores in the area, we almost never use any other.

We have at least half a dozen Southeast Asian groceries within a 10 mile radius and every shop has a slightly different selection. I need to remember that.

I also need to show hubby your stash photo, because he gives me a hard time when my stash exceeds 10 cans (which is probably why I didn't pick up the cockles when we saw them). He teases me all the time about my canned fish "problem."

IanG
04-04-2014, 09:18 AM
10 cans sure beats my several hundred kaplods!

I am a real sucker for internet deals. If I see salmon or sardines going for half the price I can get them at the supermarket, I normally snap them up. Coupon codes are good too.

kaplods
04-04-2014, 11:24 AM
10 cans sure beats my several hundred kaplods!

I am a real sucker for internet deals. If I see salmon or sardines going for half the price I can get them at the supermarket, I normally snap them up. Coupon codes are good too.

But you are ready for the zombie apocalypse (which hubby teases me that I must be preparing for with our various food stashes).

To be fair, we both collect more than canned fish. Our kitchen has a walk-in pantry that is bigger than our two bedroom closets combined.

The only stash we both equally appreciate and contribute to, is dried spices.

When we had a salvage grocery in town, our pantry was full to bursting (and all my stashes were much bigger than they are now). "Gourmet" and import items were usually marked down to ridiculously low prices, because most shoppers were reluctant to buy foods and brands they weren't familiar with, especially if the sell date price was nearing, not realizing that canned foods are good years (if not decades) beyond the sell-by date.

We could get sardines for $0.19 per can and lump crab meat (and once lobster) for $0.49, often in normally expensive, gourmet brands. When we found a good deal, we stocked up, especially on items we knew were unlikely to come in regularly (if ever) again. Unfortunately the owner had to close the business when he needed and couldn't afford medical coverage for his family.

Psychic
04-04-2014, 01:43 PM
I really don't eat much canned fish, other than albacore tune & skinless/boneless salmon. I can't stand oysters/clams (texture) and I'm afraid to try the more exotic canned items. I have issues with skin and bones. Yes, I'm rather picky. I did see something that caught my eye though, and I was wondering if anyone had tried them. They're canned tilapia filets in sauces from Bumble Bee. Anyone try these yet?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41z2Ik%2BO7hL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They come in these flavors:
Curry Sauce
Mango Chutney
Teriyaki Sauce
Tomato Basil

nonameslob
04-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Curious for those of you who do eat canned fish, do you cook it up? I'm curious to try canned or pouched salmon, as I think it would be a good backpacking food alternative to pouched chicken.

I don't think I could incorporate canned fish into my daily, let alone weekly, routine. I enjoy fish, but as a woman who wants to have kids one day I have to be even more cautious about mercury than a man. Plus it reminds me too much of cat food lol

An interesting choice though, Ian. Very interesting.

Psychic
04-04-2014, 02:05 PM
Curious for those of you who do eat canned fish, do you cook it up? I'm curious to try canned or pouched salmon, as I think it would be a good backpacking food alternative to pouched chicken.

I would suggest pouched salmon rather than canned for backpacking. Don't need to carry around a can opener and the pouches don't have excess moisture in them. There are also Ready-To-Eat Meal Kits from Bumble Bee and other brands. These might be worth looking into. Ready-To-Eat (http://www.bumblebee.com/products/ready-to-eat-kits/)

nonameslob
04-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Can vs. pouch for backpacking is something I could write a book about lol - basically, either are fine and pretty much equivalent in terms of weight in reality, especially if you have the pull-top can (and my swiss army knife has a can opener). I'm more curious about what kinds of meals I can make using canned/pouched fish, because aside from grilling up a fillet I don't have much experience with fish. I use canned/pouched chicken to make some pretty gourmet meals out in the bush!

Tai
04-07-2014, 01:39 PM
I really don't eat much canned fish, other than albacore tune & skinless/boneless salmon. I can't stand oysters/clams (texture) and I'm afraid to try the more exotic canned items. I have issues with skin and bones. Yes, I'm rather picky. I did see something that caught my eye though, and I was wondering if anyone had tried them. They're canned tilapia filets in sauces from Bumble Bee. Anyone try these yet?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41z2Ik%2BO7hL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They come in these flavors:
Curry Sauce
Mango Chutney
Teriyaki Sauce
Tomato Basil

Thank you so much for posting this! I wasn't even aware these were out and will now be looking for them.:)

Tai
04-07-2014, 01:43 PM

Here is my stash:

I love how tidy your stash is Ian!

This is a very educational thread so thanks for sharing. I really like canned fish and had no idea of how much variety was available. Think I need to branch out a bit from my usual selections.

IanG
05-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Vital Choice have just produced a canned wild sockeye salmon "bellies".

http://www.vitalchoice.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1984&idcategory=222

It's pricey. It's probably a fad. It's over 10 bucks a can. Am I going to try it?

F@ck yeah!

Wannabeskinny
05-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Dang I had salmon belly sushi for lunch today and it was uhmazinggg!

IanG
05-02-2014, 09:27 PM
And I found these today at a supermarket. A new release by Wild Planet. I have only ever had white anchovies in Europe. Can't wait to try them.

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Planet-Anchovies-Water-Ounce/dp/B00FDM87IW/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1399080440&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=white+anchovies+wild+planet

IanG
05-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Still eating 5-6 cans a day. Feeling great.

IanG
06-24-2014, 09:38 PM
Yep, still on 35-42 cans of fish a week. Not dead yet.