Ideal Protein Diet - Can we talk poop (or lack there of)

JamSwissT
02-19-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm on day 11 of IP and I've realized that things aren't moving a smoothly as they used to :o I did not buy the pills to help with that because frankly I was already $300 in and my budget was done (one month supply). I live overseas and am very limited with what I can get here.

I don't want to take a laxative - I'd rather have something natural... I know I need to drink more water (I'm probably drinking half of what I'm supposed to).

Any tips?

eandc2006
02-19-2014, 11:17 AM
I was in the same boat as you. Feeling bloated and downright crummy for eating so clean. I bought a generic laxative tea (knockoff of smooth move) and finally went #2 this morning. It had been at least 6 days which is not good. Give it a shot. I did not have an upset belly or anything. Completely natural herbs used too.

Avalon1957
02-19-2014, 12:17 PM
Try this

Use the 200 for 7 days ...
then switch to 1 or 2 pills of the 50 for maintenance
(you can buy these on Amazon or any good health food store)

You WILL NOT BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE!

https://mindstar.com/scratch/Ultimate_Flora200.jpg

https://mindstar.com/scratch/Ultimate_Flora50.jpg

GettinHealthyNow
02-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Avalon, how long do/did you take the 50? Daily forever? Or just until the "issue" has sorted itself out?

I've got the same issues. My pharmacist/IP coach gave me something called Lax-A-Day which is a dissolvable powder taken with liquid daily for a week - but it makes my innards feel awful. Crampy, and growly.

ems70508
02-19-2014, 12:34 PM
I have been looking for a good probiotic to take daily. It's good for overall gut health. To me, that includes the big c. I have not found a daily probiotic pill that has solved my problems yet.

I'm currently on a cleanse so things are moving, but this is only a 12 day deal.

When times get tough, I turn to CALM. Make sure you don't take more than the daily recommendations, it could get tough for ya!

I also love Bubbies pickles which have natural probiotics in them. They are pickled differently. Not in a vinegar. This supports your gut health.

Dolemite
02-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Well while we are here.... Anyone having issues with size and concrete consistency? If so anything that can fix that? I have spoken with a few co-workers offline about this and apparently am not alone.

ssubert
02-19-2014, 02:35 PM
.... Anyone having issues with size and concrete consistency? ........

Little hard balls? Been there.
I use Smooth Move tea on Friday nights and usually have results on
Saturday. Better than popping a laxative pill and wondering when you'll need to race to bathroom.

mars735
02-19-2014, 02:51 PM
I don't want to take a laxative - I'd rather have something natural... I know I need to drink more water (I'm probably drinking half of what I'm supposed to).

Any tips?

Water water water! Aside from promoting normal GI regularity, your weight loss will be faster. I don't know exactly why but this has been true for me and many many people on virtually any diet, not just IP.

Much of the water our body needs for basic functions comes from food. Now that your food is so restricted, you re actually taking in much less water than before, not even counting straight out liquid intake. You can get dehydrated by not following the recommended minimum water intake.

I've always found it cumbersome to drink all the water. I start out the day by drinking 4 cups--that's half the requirement out of the way. I put the rest in a water bottle to carry around. I also count 1 cup of herbal tea. You can play around with herbal tea hot or cold, flavorings like Mio, lemon slices, cucumber slices, many many ways to jazz it up. Eventually it gets easier, and helps keep hunger in check.

Having said all that, I still experienced the Big C on P1. Even though I went everyday, my colon was not fully emptying and eventually it showed at the scale. I resorted to Smooth Move once a day. If you are really backed up, a liquid form of Magnesium Citrate works within a few hours and is easily & cheaply found at big chain grocery stores/pharmacies. It's just for very occasional use though.

eandc2006
02-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Water water water! Aside from promoting normal GI regularity, your weight loss will be faster. I don't know exactly why but this has been true for me and many many people on virtually any diet, not just IP.

Much of the water our body needs for basic functions comes from food. Now that your food is so restricted, you re actually taking in much less water than before, not even counting straight out liquid intake. You can get dehydrated by not following the recommended minimum water intake.

I've always found it cumbersome to drink all the water. I start out the day by drinking 4 cups--that's half the requirement out of the way. I put the rest in a water bottle to carry around. I also count 1 cup of herbal tea. You can play around with herbal tea hot or cold, flavorings like Mio, lemon slices, cucumber slices, many many ways to jazz it up. Eventually it gets easier, and helps keep hunger in check.

Having said all that, I still experienced the Big C on P1. Even though I went everyday, my colon was not fully emptying and eventually it showed at the scale. I resorted to Smooth Move once a day. If you are really backed up, a liquid form of Magnesium Citrate works within a few hours and is easily & cheaply found at big chain grocery stores/pharmacies. It's just for very occasional use though.

Mars you did the smooth move once a day for how long? The reason I ask is that I bought some last night, drank two cups (I had not went in days and wanted to be sure) and finally went this morning. Would you recommend doing this daily? It seems like I may need a little extra especially since the scale has not moved in a week. Blah!

ems70508
02-19-2014, 03:46 PM
I wish water was my answer. I drink 96 ounces a day!

sunflwr816
02-19-2014, 04:11 PM
So glad I'm not alone in this! I know I can probably up my intake....I'm barely getting in 1.5L a day. I'm also using the 'smooth move' herbal tea, which helps but can sometimes take 1-2 days for a not so satisfying result. Coffee has always helped, and Ive continued to drink 1-3 cups a day. I think I'll try the probiotics if this gets any worse. Oh...and consistency has varied so much....two or three days in I had horrible diarrhea (TMI) and since then it's ranged from hard little pellets, to soft, to normal. Weird!

mars735
02-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Mars you did the smooth move once a day for how long? The reason I ask is that I bought some last night, drank two cups (I had not went in days and wanted to be sure) and finally went this morning. Would you recommend doing this daily? It seems like I may need a little extra especially since the scale has not moved in a week. Blah!

That's great eandc. Personally I'd see if just 1 works, now that things are moving. You can always consider adding more if needed. The box says 1/day--you might give them a call and make sure there's no issue with doubling. Plus it would save you $$ for IP packets if you can get buy on just 1, lol!

Something else that helped is that I love strong coffee in the morning. I think one reason we all get backed up on IP is that many of us including me didn't exrcise at all (besides the fact that every scrap of nutrition is taken up by our bodies rather than passed through!). If you have the energy to go for a 20 minute walk, that might help.

I totally wouldn't worry about the scale--if you are OP, the scale is going to go down. Better yet, your measurement and clothes size will. It's so frustrating to miss the validation of the hard work for even 1 week. But it helps to look at the big picture: what is your monthly average loss, how are your clothes fitting? Best to weigh only once/week--it will save you a lot of worry. Keep up the good work--you're doing GREAT!

mars735
02-19-2014, 04:58 PM
I wish water was my answer. I drink 96 ounces a day!

If your ticker is current ems, looks like you're doing pretty darn well to me! Of course it can never go fast enough, lol!

mars735
02-19-2014, 05:06 PM
So glad I'm not alone in this! I know I can probably up my intake....I'm barely getting in 1.5L a day. I'm also using the 'smooth move' herbal tea, which helps but can sometimes take 1-2 days for a not so satisfying result. Coffee has always helped, and Ive continued to drink 1-3 cups a day. I think I'll try the probiotics if this gets any worse. Oh...and consistency has varied so much....two or three days in I had horrible diarrhea (TMI) and since then it's ranged from hard little pellets, to soft, to normal. Weird!

Sounds like your body is adjusting, but at the risk of sounding like a parrot, the 2 liters is soooo important. This from someone who could easily leave it out altogether before IP. If I even skip 8 oz, I swear I feel hungrier all day, something just doesn't feel right. The only way I can get it done is to chug 4 cups ist thing in the morning (that alone probably = Smooth Move)! Then all I have to do is drink 4 cups throughout the day. On P1 I got up an hour early to drink and pass the water before work. Now it's become a like a weird morning ritual, one that my body really likes.

Are you getting in your 4 C vegetables, 2 tsp oil, and some lettuce? Those all help too. Still IP is a low fiber constipating diet.

I'm interested to hear if you find probiotics do the trick. Btw,it's been mentioned here before: Bubbie's sauerkraut is probiotic, maybe also Bubbes kosher dill pickles. They are made without high heat or vinegar like other pickles. Low carb too.

ems70508
02-19-2014, 05:06 PM
If your ticker is current ems, looks like you're doing pretty darn well to me! Of course it can never go fast enough, lol!

haha thanks mars! i was referring to my ever occuring big c problem. but you're right, it cannot come off fast enough!!

mars735
02-19-2014, 05:16 PM
ems: Glad to hear about the weight but wish there was a fix for the C. Hope you're getting lots of other goods things from all the water.

ems70508
02-19-2014, 05:29 PM
mars I do think the water has helped me in other ways for sure! I can't believe I used to drink so little before IP!

JamSwissT
02-19-2014, 05:57 PM
So I can't get any of that (except water obviously) here in Jamaica. I will go to the pharmacy and see what they have but I'm pretty sure I don't want to take a laxative. I'm trying to make a trip to the US at the end of the month, but I know that I NEED to go... (I can have things mailed here by amazon but I have to pay taxes on everything so it just ends up being too expensive)...

I'm gonna TRY to drink more water.. I have no problems with number 1.. but number 2 is just not happening!!

Dolemite
02-19-2014, 06:00 PM
Little hard balls? Been there.
I use Smooth Move tea on Friday nights and usually have results on
Saturday. Better than popping a laxative pill and wondering when you'll need to race to bathroom.

Well I wouldn't call them little... But yea maybe I will get some of that tea. Is that something you can get at a local store or is it an .com thing?

mars735
02-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Well I wouldn't call them little... But yea maybe I will get some of that tea. Is that something you can get at a local store or is it an .com thing?

Here in SF bay area, it's at Whole Foods, Safeway (chain grocery) and some independent health-oreinted grocery stores. About 5.99/box of 24, sometimes cheaper.

mars735
02-19-2014, 06:18 PM
So I can't get any of that (except water obviously) here in Jamaica. I will go to the pharmacy and see what they have but I'm pretty sure I don't want to take a laxative. I'm trying to make a trip to the US at the end of the month, but I know that I NEED to go... (I can have things mailed here by amazon but I have to pay taxes on everything so it just ends up being too expensive)...

I'm gonna TRY to drink more water.. I have no problems with number 1.. but number 2 is just not happening!!

Are you getting in the minimum water? Or non-caffeine herbal tea? Veggies and oil too? :)

eandc2006
02-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Thanks all. I have got some great info today and certainly some smiles too.

IdealProteinNewbie
02-19-2014, 07:47 PM
I am not a fan of Smooth Move tea or anything with stimulants.

If you rely on them eventually your bowels will become lazy, you will need to keep upping the dose then won't be able to go on your own.

Just something to keep in mind.

lisa32989
02-19-2014, 08:42 PM
Agreed IPN!
I'd try probiotics before smooth move, which is a stimulant laxative

nolasmurf
02-19-2014, 09:25 PM
I've found having a fatty cut of meat helps. Don't know why maybe it's the oil but everytime I have a hamburger patty the next day I'm going.

Good luck!

stephascope
02-19-2014, 09:36 PM
I took probiotics and it worked pretty well but now I take a tsp of Calm Magnesium Citrate powder every night before bed (for better sleep) and I go #2 every morning now. It's awesome!

Cherone
02-19-2014, 11:14 PM
I was having the same issue. I bought a generic brand stool softener and that has seemed to do the trick. I just take whenever needed and it usually works in about a day.:)

carliemartini
02-19-2014, 11:20 PM
This has been an ongoing battle for me as well. Once I'm able to go I'll go down a good 3-5 lbs but actually getting there is rough. I've done Magnesium Citrate but I try to keep that to a minimal since I'm a bit worried about dependency. How's the taste of the Smooth Move tea? I've heard of it quite a bit but haven't tried it yet.

PhotogGirl
02-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Interestingly until today I've had the opposite problem. Like explosive. and PAINFUL diariah. now today I'm suddenly backed up and I feel sick and look like a pregnant woman. ugh. My coach just said to get some natures bounty magnesium and take 1500-2000. Also to take an epsom salts bath (1 cup per 50lbs)

Cherone
02-19-2014, 11:25 PM
I had the same problem. Bought a generic stool softener at the pharmacy and it worked within a day or so. Now I use it whenever I need to!

mars735
02-19-2014, 11:28 PM
carliemartini: there are a few flavors: mint, original, chocolate are the ones i know. I couldn't stand chocolate-it didn't taste anything like chocolate; the original reminded me a little of licorice; Mint is the one I use.

I think it's wise to use as it as infrequently as possible and employ natural remedies: increased water, possibly probiotics. I was fortunate to have used Smooth Move tea for about 6 mo and then tapering to every other day for a week. Once I was on P4 eating more food, everything went back to baseline for me....though my colon probably depends on caffeine, lol.

carliemartini
02-19-2014, 11:41 PM
carliemartini: there are a few flavors: mint, original, chocolate are the ones i know. I couldn't stand chocolate-it didn't taste anything like chocolate; the original reminded me a little of licorice; Mint is the one I use.

I think it's wise to use as it as infrequently as possible and employ natural remedies: increased water, possibly probiotics. I was fortunate to have used Smooth Move tea for about 6 mo and then tapering to every other day for a week. Once I was on P4 eating more food, everything went back to baseline for me....though my colon probably depends on caffeine, lol.

Yes! Caffeine always helps in that area. Before IP coffee was my lifeblood...

Thanks for the recommendation. Next time I'm at my local market I'll see if I can find some of that tea.

sunflwr816
02-25-2014, 08:51 AM
I bought some CALM at GNC yesterday and had 2 tsp in a glass of cold water before bed. It sort of tasted like alka-selzer to me...not horrendous but that fizzy cloudy drink.

Aside from some very loud stomach grumbling in bed, I had no bad side effects. I slept like a rock last night and had a soft BM first thing this morning after my cup of coffee. Woo hoo! :carrot:

For all of you that use CALM, how often? Every night? The full 2 tsp? Thanks!!

ems70508
02-25-2014, 09:14 AM
I bought some CALM at GNC yesterday and had 2 tsp in a glass of cold water before bed. It sort of tasted like alka-selzer to me...not horrendous but that fizzy cloudy drink.

Aside from some very loud stomach grumbling in bed, I had no bad side effects. I slept like a rock last night and had a soft BM first thing this morning after my cup of coffee. Woo hoo! :carrot:

For all of you that use CALM, how often? Every night? The full 2 tsp? Thanks!!

I use it twice a day. When I first started taking it, I did 1/2 tsp in the AM and PM. Then about 4 days later, I switched it to (1) tsp in the AM. Be very careful. One day I wasn't paying attention and did (1) tsp in the AM AND PM, it was bad. real bad. something I don't even like thinking about...bad....:(

sunflwr816
02-25-2014, 09:38 AM
I use it twice a day. When I first started taking it, I did 1/2 tsp in the AM and PM. Then about 4 days later, I switched it to (1) tsp in the AM. Be very careful. One day I wasn't paying attention and did (1) tsp in the AM AND PM, it was bad. real bad. something I don't even like thinking about...bad....:(

Oh geez!! I've had a few of those...don't feel too bad. I did 2 "rounded" tsp last night before bed at 10. No near accidents but it sounded like a freight train gurgling in my stomach. The best part is the results without painful cramping like stimulant lax/Smooth Mov tea gives me. Maybe I'll cut it down to 1 tsp tonight to be safe...don't want any accidents mid-interview tomorrow! ;)

ems70508
02-25-2014, 09:45 AM
It may just be my sensitive digestive system! Either way, i'd take it slow!

willsea
02-25-2014, 10:38 AM
I have never been one to have a regular system. I also know I have many vitamin deficiencies that have taken a long time to get under control. Once under control I started to lose weight on IP again. Over the past year I have seen Lisa mention Magnesium many times. After many trial and errors, including teas and probiotics (the ones I have found are pretty expensive for a life time of taking them); I decided to look into the magnesium. I bought a generic Magnesium recommended dosage was 1-3 pills a day. I started off with one taking them along side my nightly calcium. Within 2 weeks, I have a regular body, one that I have never had before. I am prone to Kidney stones, my Dr tells me to stay away from the laxatives it only hinders this.
We all have different bodies; we all react differently to things as well. Trial and error with the combination of the wonderful suggestions will get you the results.

stephascope
02-25-2014, 08:08 PM
1 teaspoon of Calm at night has been enough for me. I reduced it last night to 1/2 a teaspoon and no BM this morning.

vachinyc
02-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Big C issues here as well. I thought I had it worked out with 2 tsp. Calm every night and 1-2 ColonRX (sold by the clinic). But TOM always changes it. Then it takes me a while of trial and error to readjust. Now, in phase 3 it's all amuck again. Argh! I will have to do some trial and error on more Calm. It has definitely impacted some weekly weigh-ins but I try to keep that in perspective as one point in time.
I did have big C issues prior to IP at times as well.
Glad to see I'm not alone and to see some of the things you all are doing :)

eandc2006
02-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Okay tmi but today finally had a BM that was actually significant compared to what I was getting with the tea. Sorry guys but I have been op for 22 days and was really starting to think wth was wrong with me. I guess sometimes patience is necessary!

kontesanera
02-27-2014, 09:35 AM
I have mentioned this before somewhere in this forum, but here I go again. My coach recommended drinking water flavored with chlorophyll and 3 weeks in, knock on wood, I have not had trouble in this department. I usually drink I cup in the morning and one at night. There are also so many health benefits associated with drinking chlorophyll, so I highly recommend it.

IntheEvening
02-27-2014, 09:47 AM
Not to brag but I poop at least twice a day. Anyone else the complete opposite? Am I eating to many veggies?

sunflwr816
02-27-2014, 11:21 AM
Not to brag but I poop at least twice a day. Anyone else the complete opposite? Am I eating to many veggies?

Before IP I was the same way. I think my body is just very unused to the large amts of protein I've been eating. I'm in week three and my body is finally starting to regulate again. I think the CALM has been helping as well as increasing my water from 64 to 80 oz a day.

Are you measuring out all of your veggies? Sticking to just 1 tsp oil? Maybe your body is sensitive to the protein in the opposite way? I'd say it's a good thing as long as it's not too loose/diarrhea...I'd start to worry about losing too many electrolytes if it is.

kontesanera
04-09-2014, 11:40 AM
I just wanted to share what has worked for me. What I found that works for me is rubbing castor oil on my stomach in a circular motion. Castor oil gets absorbed and will loosen things up. I also have two bottles of water with clorophyl added to it a day to keep things regular. My clinic highly recommends it and I love it.

booklover811
04-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Coffee in the AM and a probiotic at night before bed has helped me. I was backed up the first week or so and added in the probiotic. This cleared things right up and everything is on schedule now :)

ColoradoCarol
04-09-2014, 10:28 PM
I started taking a probiotic at night - the herbalist at Sprouts recommended one that wasn't too expensive, I also take a fiber powder iAvalon recommended (Yerba Prima) in a glass of water 2x per day, water 8 glasses a day MINIMUM, lettuce smoothies and a salad almost every day. Not sure which of the elements is doing the trick but things are moving better, I have better losses and I no longer take the magnesium citrate ( which my doctor did warn me about too many stimulants).