Weight Loss Support - 21-day Challenge!!!!!!!

View Full Version : 21-day Challenge!!!!!!!

Amarantha2
07-13-2003, 10:15 PM
Posting a 21-DAY CHALLENGE to myself and anyone who feels in the mood to attempt this really awesome feat! (It's really hard!!)

Ok, ONE MORE TIME! :dancer: We all know the drill on the 21-day challenge. This is for extra focus and support and not meant to compete with any other threads. Post a behavior or behavioral set that'll help in reaching your goal. Do it for 21 consecutive days. If you slip up, you have to start counting the days all over again, do not pass go, do not collect $2,000!!!! :nono: When you get to 21 days, you ... well, you get to 21 days and then you ... start over again with the same or a new behavior! You make all the rules for your own challenge.

Well, there you have it!

I first heard of the 21-day challenge from Wood Nymph Arabella, who has finished a number of them here on 3FC, I believe! I've been trying to do this for more than a year on this and nameless other forums!!! THIS TIME I INTEND TO SUCCEED! I'll ante up in a separate post, so I can use more smilies!

:s:

Amarantha2
07-13-2003, 10:20 PM
Ok, :queen:-ie, I'd love to join you in doing the 21-day thingie!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: TIMES THREE

My challenge is to stay UNDER 1795 CALORIES for 21 consecutive days, starting today!!! This will move me into August with a chance to make my Labor Day challenge on the Laborious Losers thread.

Day One: 1685

:dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: TIMES THREE

jelynn
07-13-2003, 11:12 PM
I'll join you Amarantha!! My challenge is this: NO FAST FOOD! I have more I'm working on, but this would be great to get this bad habit out of my life! In fact since I haven't had any today I call this Day 1 a success! :)

Emily (edited to sign my name) :)

Amarantha2
07-14-2003, 12:59 AM
:wave: Jelynn!!! Thanks for joining me! See you on Day Two!!!

Amarantha2
07-14-2003, 09:33 AM
Ok, dokey, it's day two of the new!!!! Hoorah! I told everyone at the gym that I was doing this 21-days of NO MORE THAN 1795 (preferably in the 1500-1700 range). I WILL DO IT! Be back with my report tonight or tomorrow a.m.

:wave: Jelynn!!!

beledigirl
07-14-2003, 03:49 PM
Hello I would like to join this challenge!

My challenge will be to stay within WW points/On Plan for 21 days straight. I would also like to practice my dancing for 30 minutes a day for 21 days!

jelynn
07-14-2003, 06:39 PM
Welcome beledigirl! Sounds like a good plan- what kind of dancing do you do? A great way to get those exercise minutes in!

How's it going for you today Amarantha?

So far so good for me today with no fast food! Easy too since I haven't left the house today :lol: I guess that's one way to get to 21 days!!

Going on a road trip tomorrow so that will be the true test. I'll still be able to check in later in the day after we get to our destination. SO c/ya later :wave:

Amarantha2
07-15-2003, 02:20 AM
Yo! Welcome beledigirl!!!! I'd also like to know what kind of dancing you do! :wave:

Jelynn: Hope you have a great fastfoodless trip!!! Stay strong, 'cause it's a jungle out there, Pilgrim! :s:

Since I'm working 90 minutes away this month, I guess every day is a road trip for me also and I'm happy to report that I passed with flying colors, buying only some single-serving Baked Lays to add to my stash of protein shakes and bars up there.

Calories for Day Two: 1570

On to Day Three!!!!

We're in steady state!!!! Wooo-hooo!!!! :dancer:

Mistao
07-15-2003, 02:41 AM
I'm a day or two late on this, but I'd love to join.

My goals-
1. Work out for at least an hour every day without deciding that it's fun to just sit back and watch the workout vids instead of actually doing them- I do well with pilates but the yoga and bellydance ones always hit me with the "how do they do that!?" or "you want me to what?" roadblocks.

2. Dig out my WW point plan books and actually use them for 21 days too

Amarantha2
07-15-2003, 07:16 AM
Never too late, Mistao!!! On the 21-day challenge, everyone counts from their personal DAY ONE!!! (And, it's FUN~)!!! :dancer: I like your DiFranco quote!!!

Ok!!! We're in steady state now, fellow SUPER CHALLENGERS!!!! Hoorah! Wowza!!!! Pop! Bang!!! Bam!!!!!

Up, up and away!!!! :balloons:

THIS IS MY DAY THREE!!! Oops, shouting, sorry!!! Bye! :wave: :dancer: Have a banana!! :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb:

beledigirl
07-15-2003, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I do belly dancing! :dance:

Still going strong! Did my weight training early this morning and getting ready to practice dance.:dance:

Have a great day everyone!!!:D

BelediGirl

Mistao
07-15-2003, 11:42 PM
I'm doing it! I am so proud.. I plowed through 2 of my pilates and yoga DVDs, and had to stop myself from overdoing it before my muscles caught up with me. I forget how much of an endorphin junkie i can be :) I was also inspired to pull out a bellydance vid as well. I am feeling like a overcooked piece of asparagus right now, and can't wait till tomorrow!

(note: the WW books have gone MIA, but I sucessfully managed to not devour all of my sons Elmo fruit snacks.. small victories rock :) )

Amarantha2
07-16-2003, 02:17 AM
Yo!!!! Ending Day Three at 1755 calories!!!! On to DAY FOUR!!!! Very pleased with my calorie adherence during a stressful production day. Dinner with publisher so satisfying because she is a healthy eater and I didn't feel the usual pressure when dining with associates to order sweet, fatty and caloric stuff because they are. Had a simple grilled chicken breast and tomato slices. Really pleased with my choices today!

beledigirl and Mistao!!! :wave: The bellydancing sounds fun! You guys are doing great!!!!

We're moving on around that 21-day challenge block and we're gonna OWN it!!!

Amarantha2
07-16-2003, 09:56 AM
Yo from DAY FOUR!!! I'll go on a little more!!!

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

beledigirl
07-16-2003, 10:55 AM
Hurray for us!!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Going on Day 3 of 21 days!!!!!!

Yesterday I did weight training, an hour of belly dance practice, and a pilates tape!!!!! Whew my abs are feeling it this morning!

This morning already finished my weight training!

Been OP with WW 100%

BelediGirl

jelynn
07-16-2003, 11:08 AM
Day 4 for me!! YOu guys are all doing great :)

Emily

Amarantha2
07-16-2003, 04:05 PM
Yay, team!!! We've done excellently this a.m. and are headed for a FANTASTIC finish to this challenge day, thus advancing us a bit further along the game board. We are gonna OWN this challenge!!! :bubbles:

Amarantha2
07-16-2003, 10:07 PM
Ending eating day at 1755, going to bed to read! On to Day 5!

Amarantha2
07-17-2003, 10:56 AM
My Day 5 and I'm off and running! Everyone's doing great!!!

:dancer:

jelynn
07-17-2003, 11:21 AM
Awesome job everyone!!! I'm on day 5- almost a quarter-way through! (is that right?? lol)

Emily

Amarantha2
07-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Yowza, yowza, yowza!!!! Ending my eating day at 1720!!! On to Day 6!!! HUZZAH!!! :encore:

Emily, I think day 5 is MORE than a quarter of the way through!!! Woo-hoo!!! Thanks for pointing that out!!!

Amarantha2
07-18-2003, 09:55 AM
DAY SIX!!!! Wearing my new smaller jeans!!! Hooray for today!!!

jelynn
07-18-2003, 10:01 AM
Day 6 for me too :D Gonna do this!!!!

scoobysnacks
07-18-2003, 04:05 PM
I want to join. I want to exercise for at least a half an hour a day..either walking, eliptical, playing basketball....aerobic classses.

275/177/GW 160

Wildfire
07-19-2003, 07:51 AM
Me too, please! :bubbles:

I'm starting a 21-Day challenge today. Getting refocused.

Feeling better and stronger but no weight loss, which is discouraging, so I'm starting 21 days of careful tracking. Hopefully I'll see some loss, or at least be able to see where it's going awry.

Will report Day 1 results later tonight.

:bubbles:

Amarantha2
07-19-2003, 09:15 AM
Hooray, Wildfire and Scooby are in the house!!!! Yowza, the trek to TWENTY-ONE!!!continueth apace!!!

My Day 6 report: 1660!!! And I'm now on Day 7!!! Gonna make it!!!

:dancer: :cheers:

Beam me up, Scotty! :balloons:

Mistao
07-19-2003, 11:15 AM
Still doin' it! Ive been moving apartments all this week, so its been pretty hard to work out without hitting a box, but not too hard:) My weight hasn't moved much but i can sure see definition!

Amarantha2
07-19-2003, 12:47 PM
Howdy, Mistao!!! :wave: You're doing great to keep going when moving, which is the world's most stressful task, IMO!!! :cheers:

Amarantha2
07-19-2003, 09:59 PM
1535, thus endeth the eating day of seven!!!

On to day 8!!!!

:bubbles:

Amarantha2
07-19-2003, 10:02 PM
Beledigirl, I just noticed you are in Indy! I lived there for many years! How cool! :wave:

Wildfire
07-19-2003, 11:19 PM
Day 1 was a smashing success! Emergency Food Watch kept me on my toes.

Food: 1263 calories
Exercise: Upper body workout, 30 minute bike ride
Water: 48 oz, not counting the diet caffeine-free coke I had
Multi-Vitamin and calcium: check and check!
Logged into Fitday: Check!

Day 2, Bring it on! :sumo:

Amarantha2
07-20-2003, 10:53 AM
Yo!!!! Everyone's doing great and I'm on Day 8!!! Hoorah!!! :strong:

I'll be back! :wave:

Amarantha2
07-20-2003, 12:45 PM
And, heeeereeee's Amarantha!!! Down a half pound and very pleased with that (considering how slowly this lovely sea cow metabolism lets me lose)!!! Still wearing smaller jeans! Still doing great at Day 8. Will post food on Emergency Foodwatch!

Never fear, Day 8 is here!!!! YOWZA!!!!

:yes:

Amarantha2
07-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Ending eating day at 1680 (hopefully)!!!! All reported on Emergency Weekend Foodwatch. If I add one more carb control shake later (which would only happen if I get too hot), I'd still be ok on the challenge at 1790. I'll do an update if I have that shake, otherwise, I'm good to go at 1680 and MOVIN' ON DOWN THE LINE TO DAY 9!

Amarantha2
07-20-2003, 09:54 PM
Had the shake, kitchen closed for the night at 1790, still in the ballpark for a successful day and I'm gonna say this one more time ON TO DAY NINE!

No more calories until Day Nine! :tape: :ziplip:

redballoon
07-20-2003, 10:27 PM
Hi there. I just found this thread and want to join. I'll be back with my 21-day goal just as soon as I decide on one. I have one in mind but I want to give it a bit more thought.

I'll be back soon.
Thanks for starting this Amarantha!

Amarantha2
07-20-2003, 10:50 PM
Welcome redballoon!!! :wave: Look forward to seeing your goal!

redballoon
07-21-2003, 07:44 AM
Ok, folks. Count me in! I gave it some thought and I'm going to do it the hard way. Meaning I'm going to do the hard one AND another. I figure I can always start counting again.
OK, in writing --

Starting July 22 (which is now only a few hours away since I'm 13 hours ahead of U.S. East Coast time) I'm not going to eat ANY sugar. None. Not any type but what you find in fruit. That means checking labels for hidden sugar too.
It's really tough but I did it for a whole year and I can do it for 21 days. I have to. This is my trigger food. I find it so hard to stop at just a bit.

OK, AND the other thing is I'm going to double it up with an exercise goal so I don't start pigging out on anything BUT sugar. I did that for most of that year so even though I lost a lot of weight around my waist and felt tons better I didn't lose much overall weight.

Oh right, getting carried away. The second part of my 21-day challenge is to get on my exercise bike for a minimum of 15 minutes a day. Either bike or jog. And I'll record the time and so with my Polar pulse monitor!

OK, here goes. Ready or . . . I'm ready!

Amarantha2
07-21-2003, 08:02 AM
Wow! Redballoon, you are an awesome challenger and I tip my hat to you on the sugar goal!!! Great plan! :balloons:

Ok, I'm on DAY NINE and feelin' fine! Long, difficult day ahead but I AM DETERMINED! Must share that on that other forum where I vacationed for awhile, I tried a 21-day challenge approximately four times and day nine was the kabaash each time :rain: , BUT THIS TIME I'LL SURPASS THAT AND MOVE ON TO DAY 10!

There is no power on earth that will move me back to day one today!!!! This is my vow, this is my mission, I WILL MAKE IT TO DAY 10! AMEN! :rollpin:

I'll be back, probably late tonight! :bubbles: :) :s:

scoobysnacks
07-21-2003, 09:59 AM
HI all

Ok i started on friday and i did my 1/2 hour work out all 3 days. I notice im paying more attention to what i eat. This is great!
I didnt want to go out yesterday but i had to in order to get my exercise! So thanks for starting the 21 challenge. I will be working out today even if i dont want to....yay for me.

Sheryl;)

redballoon
07-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Amarantha,
Thanks for the encouragement. It's 4 a.m. here. When I woke up my first thought was, "Oh, my God, what have I done!?!" (when I thought of my challenge). But I'm going to do it! Heh, anything looks bad at 4 a.m.

You can do it too. Don't let those past 9 nine days of yours have been for nothing!

Scoobysnacks, good for you. 1/2 an hour all three days! You are rockin!

redballoon
07-22-2003, 12:54 AM
It's me again. I see no one has posted since my last post. Sorry to be giving myself so much air time here. Just wanted to say it is now 2 p.m. and I am going strong with the no sugar. I am about to jump on the bike for the second part of my challenge.

This is great. OK, I haven't done it yet (but I will!) but normally there is no way in the world I would have gone anywhere near the bike today. So, this is a great motivator.

Thanks again.

Oh, by the way, as way of introduction. I'm 43, single, live in Tokyo, have for the past 20. Am originally from Pittsburgh, work as a writer and editor, have 4 cats and co-own a horse, who just this morning managed to dump my instructor, who has not, and I quote, fallen off in "seven years!" Go Heidi!

I think this is a cool place and I'm going be here to give you all your much deserved support.

Another by the way, my handle comes from a classic and cool French movie from 1956 about a red balloon that befriends a little boy. All I could remember about the movie was this balloon always bobbing just out of reach and the little boy trying to catch it. Thus, the connection between that elusive lean, lithe body of mine, not! Also, I have red hair.

Now that I've totally bored you all . . .

Best wishes.

Amarantha2
07-22-2003, 10:01 AM
Yay, 21-day challengers!!! We are all doing great!!! :cb: :sumo: :jig: And, not to put in a discouraging word, but it's important to remember that the 21-day thing is VERY hard and many people (me, esp.) start over and over and over again on Day 1. So, guess you know that this is leading up to me having blown DAY 9 and being back on Day 1 again, right?

NOOOOOT!!!! :joker: :s:

My Day 9 calories (drumroll): 1660!!!! Nutritional choices pretty bad but that's for another challenge!!!

Scooooooooby!!!!! You be the bomb!!!! You're nailing this thing!!! Keep a'goin' ... you've got it in the bag!!!

Red Balloon!!!! Don't worry about airtime (I never do!!!) ... hope you keep posting as often as you like ... that's what inspires us to keep the momentum going!!! You're doing great!!! (BTW, I'm a journalist aka writer and editor as well, but am looking for a new profession. Would LOVE to live in Japan, and remember the Red Balloon movie very well.)

To all on this thread, mentioned and unmentioned, hello. Let's keep going!!! Re the challenge, the way it's usually stated is that when we get through the 21 days, we are said to have done "Block One" and we can go on to "Block Two" ... I think this gives us dietary karmic luster or something ... anyhow, I'm finally going to be a "Block Oner" ... I'm really ready! I'll be baaaaaack! Production day today and this challenge is the only thing that's gonna keep me from blowing the calories!!!! ON TO DAY 11!!!

:sumo:

scoobysnacks
07-22-2003, 03:26 PM
Hi day 5 for me...i didnt get my half out work out in yet. I did get a great work out in yesterday. It was so awesome. I also photographed the instructors wedding and she loved the pictures and so did the class. So that gave me an extra high!

Today i went shopping and i fit into a size 12..thats amazing..i havent fit into a size 12 since my junior year in highschool. So i bought 5 pair of jeans all totaling under 16 dollars. Macys...women amazing sales!!! Styles Co...very excited.

Amarantha no your the BOMB...check you out day 11...eating well and hitting below your calorie goal! Kicking some major butt!

Redballoon..way to go with the no sugar. Thats rough! Thats awesome..power to u!

I think we have superpowers!

Sheryl

jelynn
07-22-2003, 03:29 PM
Back on Day one today. It was so hot yesterday and didn't feel like cooking and ended up at Arby's with DH and the kids. Didn't even remember my challenge!! BUT I made a decent choice considering- got the market-fresh roast beef sandwhich and diet pepsi. No fried though I did steal a few of DHs. So it could have been worse I guess :)

Today is 1 again for me...

Amarantha- you are doing awesome! I have no doubt you are going to make it around the block! Whoo-hoo for you! :D

redballoon
07-22-2003, 07:18 PM
All, I did it. I made it to Day 2 sugar-free and with a bike ride logged! It wasn't that tough on the sugar as I was kept busy yesterday and things were interesting. My killers are boredom and anxiety, such as interviewing someone or having to work with an editor who is not on my side. Actually though yesterday I could have blown it because I came home late after meeting with some bigshot and was starting to critique myself, saying I talked too much and I probably didn't show the proper respect for him in my language (Japanes is a killer in that). Now, normally that would have been grounds for a trip to the convenience store, just 25 steps away and open 24 hours! for something soothing like a candy bar or, in worst scenarios, a Haagen Daaz ice cream cup, but NO, I just put that voice to rest in my head, say, "You were FINE." and went to bed. Yeah!

During the day there were temptations. I found myself wanting to reach for something sweet but Ijust said, "No, you're not doing sugar." Going past the Jelly Belly store though was tough. I rarely get down that way and licorice jelly beans were calling me. I could hear them! (man, this girl is looped, you're saying.) But, I walked right on by.

The bike ride was tough but I did it too and as I said earlier, there normally would have been no way in the world I would have sat in that very painful saddle. But I did, and logged 38 minutes with a 125 average heartbeat. I use a heart monitor so I can motivate myself to reach new levels! Now, since my minimum (which I'll use on rest days or days I'm feeling physically out of it) is 15 minutes, that was a great workout. I have a book of workouts and that one was called Steady Eddy, which is one of my favorites.

OK, over to you all . . . . .

Amarantha, that's fantastic that you've stuck with it this far. You ARE going to do it. Just watch out for production day. I'm at a newspaper and know how those days can be. If you're like me you get distracted by everything that's going on and it's so easy to forget the challenge or you may want to give yourself a "reward" after all the stress. But, remember you are are on your way to Block 2! Love that "dietary karmic luster" idea, by the way.

Scoobysnacks, congratulations on your new size. Isn't it just one of the most exquisite feelings to slip into a smaller size? You keep it up! We have the momentum.

Jelynn, Are you really back to Day 1. Sounds like you still made a good choice at Arby's. How do you define fast-food? If it's just by the eatery name maybe you could decide on choices that don't constitute fast-food at each of them so you don't feel like you have to blow it each time you step foot inside one of these places. I know there's some real food in some of those places too. In any case, you're making the decision and you know what constitutes a breach of your challenge. Just wanted to check you weren't being too hard on yourself.

Thanks everyone for the support!

It's on to Day 2!

Amarantha2
07-23-2003, 12:47 AM
Ending Day 10 with 1630!!! Did well on production day anxiety-wise, but a dispute over a bill I do not owe is driving me up the wall right now. But have no desire to stress-eat over it, so I'm good to go for Day 11!!!

Scoooby!!! That's great about the jeans!!! You're doing super!!! :cp:

Jelynn!!! Good job on your healthy choice at Arby's!!!!!! Everybody ends up starting the 21-dayer over again (I always do!!), so no worries!!! Keep a'goin!!!

Red Balloon: I forgot to mention that I have red hair also, except mine's by virtue of Clairol!!!! :s: You are right about production days, that's how I developed a weight problem in the first place! :) Glad I have Day 11 off!!!

Amarantha2
07-23-2003, 07:37 AM
11!

:yes:

scoobysnacks
07-23-2003, 10:03 AM
I tell you last nite i had to go walk in the rain for my half our of exercise. My roommate asked if i could watch her kid, but i said i needed to take a walk. She said in the rain? I said yes i have to inorder to make the 21 day challenge. She had no idea what i was talking about. This is great cause yesterday i didnt fell like doing anything...except sleeping. After work i said ah skip the gym and you will walk once you get home...and of course i feel a sleep...so at 9pm i crabbed my cd player and took a walk.

My eating is a little off. To many pleasures....however when i do it i definely make sure i enjoy it. Because the worst is when you eat something and you feel horrible about doing it, but do it anyway. I will eat the rest of today...had a half of creme puff..very tasty indeed. So the rest of the day will focused on eating right. I have to get my half hour of exercise in..i hope i go to the gym.

Jeylyn you ate really well. I dont really think you need to start over..its not like you took a binge or ate a brownie fudge sundae.

Amarantha you are doing awesome. Keep it up. I love this this forum. Thanks for starting it!

redballoon...i am such a jelly belly person, along with the swedish fish. You did awesome..those cravings are so hard to beat. Trust me i know. That is my next challege is to try to beat the cravings. I cant do it right now..just working on the exercise part. Awesome job!!

redballoon
07-23-2003, 12:08 PM
scoobysnacks,
You are incredible! Such determination. You deserve a medal. That walk in the rain and the putting yourself on top of your priority list, that was really, really incredible. You are truly inspiring. You will eat better and you will get that walk in. I believe in you!

Just wanted you all to know I too got my goals in yesterday. The hard one was the excerise. Had been sick in the morning and put off the bike riding. Then got busy and it was bedtime and still hadn't done it. But I did, I got on the bike and did the 20-minute Crisscross workout, at an average heart rate of 113 bpm. I know this sounds anal but the details help motivate me too.

Also no sugar. No major temptations yesterday but feeling super lousy and down in the a.m. didn't help. Actually I did want sugar but didn't eat any. I had some fresh cherries late at night after the bike ride just to satisfy the sweet tooth.

Am writing this at 1 a.m. because one of my cats just came hollering in from the rain with a little mouse in his mouth. I rescued it. Thought I'd log on and report in.

Everyone else, hang in there!

scoobysnacks
07-23-2003, 01:34 PM
I just took my walk this lunch hour. I feel all hot and sweaty..i like that feeling cause i know i worked when i get there. So if im really ambitious maybe tonight i will go for a swim.

jelynn
07-23-2003, 02:18 PM
Thanks guys, but for me I really do need to start over. I just need to not go to those places at all. I can order healthy, but my kids don't need it either and I don't need to spend the money. I get in ruts where I start going all the time and even when I'm ordering "real food" I start justifying stealing fries and eating the rest of the boy's food. ANyway- it's a problem for me and that's why it's my challenge right now!

redballoon- I'm in awe of you!! YOu may just inspire me for another challenge! SO you are just eating fruit right? Not even aspartame or splenda or are you allowing yourself artificial sweetners? You are doing great!

scooby- good job with your walk! you are doing awesome!!

Amarantha- what can I say?!?!? You are on a roll now! I was with you here all last year (well, before I was pregnant etc.) and I remember how hard we all struggled to get around one block. You are going to do this, girl!!

Day 2 for me :D and you guys are really inspiring me to not cheat!!

scoobysnacks
07-23-2003, 03:24 PM
Jelynn im impressed that you are starting over again...its so hard to start over again. You picked yourself up and wiped off a couple of french fries and your ready to kick some major butt! You can do it. Its easy to get in those ruts...so dont be to hard on yourself.

Redballoon so what is japan like. Same food as we have over here?

Amarantha your going strong!

Amarantha2
07-23-2003, 03:39 PM
Everyone's doing awesome!!! :cp: Scooby walking in the rain, Red Balloon turning a blind eye to sugar and Jelynn on her Day 2 of the new already!!!! We are a determined bunch!!! WE WILL ALL MAKE IT AROUND THAT BLOCK!!!! I feel absolutely focused and energized by this challenge and KNOW this is my time to conquer the dreaded 21!!!

To all mentioned and unmentioned :wave:

Shopping time now! Beam me up, Scotty! :balloons:

redballoon
07-23-2003, 06:11 PM
Jelynn, Ok, if you say you have to start over. Your honesty is admirable. It means you're not going to deny what you're doing that gets you where you don't want to be. I know how easy it is to let things slide and of course we're only fooling ourselves. I had done no sugar for a year and then started allowing myself little bits. And then I was back full-blown, well, maybe not as bad as I used to be, but enough that the fat was coming back on in a big way!

Yes, I don't eat any artificial sweeteners. They would just keep me hooked and then my taste buds wouldn't change. It's amazing how your tastes will changed when you go totally natural. And the natural sweetness in fruits is different than white sugar. I don't eat honey or molasses for the same reason. Really, sugar just sets me off like you wouldn't believe. Maybe some people can just have a little but I can't. It must be chemical like certain people can't just have one little drink of alcohol. I didn't realize it until I gave it up totally but it works for me. Of course it is really hard at first. It's only not so hard now for me because I've done it before and I also wasn't eating as much sugar as I used to. I know this sounds gross but when I was younger I at times ate pure sugar!

scoobysnacks, Japan has a lot of different foods. But mostly I'd say you're missing all the things you can find in the States that are made for dieting, all the special products and lowfat, nonfat items and the substitute things like butter spray (of which I've heard you talking but I've never seen) and egg replacement and all that. The traditional way of eating was very healthy but nowadays I don't think people eat healthily at all. Maybe the older people do but the younger ones eat a lot of food from the convenience stores, especially here in Tokyo because these stores are everywhere! But the food is gross, full of all sorts of things. I try to stay as close to the natural state as possible. That's another thing. Natural foods are so expensive here. Basically I just try to use a lot of vegetables and beans, tofu and unprocessed grains. It takes a great effort though to make the food and bring it to work and so. That's going to be another challenge of mine, preparing new things, new recipes, as I really get in a rut.

Still I overeat and that's why I can never get the body I want. This time though I'm determined to and all your help is going to get me there. Thanks for being there!

Amarantha, we owe it to you for rallying us together. I think you've gotten to the point where you just CAN'T trip up now. Best of luck!

By the way, this is the begin of my DAY 3. YEAH!

Amarantha2
07-23-2003, 07:57 PM
Yay!!! Day 3 for Red Balloon! Let's keep going, everyone!!! We're all almost there and whatever day we're on or whether we start over or not, we can't be more than 21 DAYS AWAY FROM A SUCCESSFUL CHALLENGE and that dose of extra 21-day weight management karma!!!

I'm at 1570, going to make day 11 in fine shape. May eat a bit more later. Will be back.

Wildfire
07-23-2003, 08:52 PM
End of Day 5 here! :cb:

redballoon
07-23-2003, 09:22 PM
Run like wildfire! On the track for 5 days and counting! Kudos to you!

Amarantha2
07-23-2003, 09:47 PM
Yay, Wildfire!!! Day 5!!! That's great!

I'm ending my eating day at 1785 calories, this includes a carb control shake I haven't imbibed yet (it's in the freezer chilling), so should handily make it to Day 12.

:mag: :stars: :sumo: :s:

redballoon
07-24-2003, 07:44 AM
Congrats Amarantha! You are invincible.

I'm signing in here before I sign out for the night. Not much sleep last night and I'm beat from today.

But I made it, I made it, no sugar and I did 20 min. on the bike. Thank God I got this trainer in my room now otherwise I'd never make it to the gym. At least I can ride. Still, without this site I'd be toast, or it'd be me, or something like that . . .

On to Day 4. We are going strong!

Amarantha2
07-24-2003, 10:42 AM
YOWZA!!!! Red Balloon is soaring onto the landing pad for Day 4!!! :balloons:

Everybody's doing great here, INCLUDING MOI!!! I'm on DAY 12, though I can't think of a rhyme for it!!!

Had a great workout today and heading for showers and then heading for the hills (where I work)!!!

On to Day 13 (which will be Friday, the 13th day of my challenge, :yikes: :fr: so I'm horribly fearful I'll crash and burn ...NOT!!!!!!!

Beam me up, Scotty! :balloons:.

jelynn
07-24-2003, 10:49 AM
Day 3 for me- you guys are all doing great!!! :wave:

Apple Blossom
07-24-2003, 04:23 PM
Hi. I'd like to join in for the last half of this challenge. My husband is away for the next 10 days and I'd really like to lose 5 pounds while he's gone.
I'm at about 158 right now, but as you all know, this can fluxuate by the hour. (Yes, I'm guilty of hourly weigh-ins). My goal is 140, my dream is 135. For now, I'll be happy to leave 5 behind with you guys. I don't have a game plan yet, but by the next time I post, I will....
And today hasn't been the greatest of days but if I have a light dinner, maybe a big salad, I'll be on my way.
I'd also like to eliminate coffee and alcohol from my diet for the next 10 days...said while swigging out of the 'ol mug o' joe......
Well, lets go!!!!:crossed:

Apple Blossom
07-24-2003, 04:29 PM
I'm reading more of the post and I see that everyone has their own day one, so OK, I'll do the 21....the first 10 should be easy but then i"m going on a vacation so that might be tough.....maybe I'll just leave those days out of the count...no that wouldn't be right. I'll just stick to my own mini 10 day challenge, OK? Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud....

JenniferE33
07-24-2003, 04:41 PM
I would also like to join today! I am a stickler for Diet Coke, I can consume mass quantities in one sitting. This then prevents me from drinking that oh so healthy beverage known as water! My 21 day challange is not to take the slightest sip of diet soda. This thread will definitley be an inspiration and a great motivator.

scoobysnacks
07-24-2003, 05:05 PM
That is right amarantha you are going to do oh so well..and will not be scared when jason is chasing you cause your such hot chickie who knows how to count her calories!:)

Apple Blossom sounds like you gotta plan! Ah i cant do hourly weigh ins just to stressful. Once a day in the morning no clothing....hehe before i shower cause i weigh lighter.
So welcome to the challenge!

JenniferE33 you can do it! No more soda and lots more water. You are going to notice a difference in the way you are feeling. I can tell you i gave up soda about 2 years ago..best think i could of ever done. Better complection and less bloating feeling. Water is a gift. Someone told me once to view it as when you drink water it is a shower for your insides.

Jelynn...congrats your 3rd day! No fast food for you....awesome keep it up!

Today has been a rough day for me feeling sick..not pretty. However i am going to get my half hour exercise in even if i have to do it at 11:30 at nite. Cause i am going to make it to 21 days...cause we are mighty!

Check in with you later! Glad to see new people on board!

Sheryl

redballoon
07-24-2003, 05:47 PM
Everybody, good luck and keep it going!
Welcome Apple Blossom and JenniferE33. This is a great place and I'm sure it'll help get you to your goals.
Amarantha, make 13 YOUR lucky number!

I had another bad night last night, asthma, can't sleep. Now it's morning and I must get up. I had planned to get to the gym but now it's too late which means I'll have to cycle tonight which also makes it hard to sleep. But I'm going to do it because I want to report back with a great Day 4 report. Doubly hard today because sugar looms largest when I'm at work and bored and tired and . . .well you know.

Ok, wish me luck!

Amarantha2
07-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Reporting in a bit early because I have time at work and it'll be late before I get home!!! Have had all my calories and WILL NOT BLOW THIS THING NOW, so reporting 1750. Guess I could have some watermelon when I get home, there's about 25 calories of chunks left in the fridge. Ok, say 1775 and NO MORE! On to Day 13!!!

Welcome to Apple Blossom and Jennifer!!! :wave: Sounds like you have your plans in hand and are ready to roll!!! Glad you are here!!

Red Balloon: I do actually think Friday the 13th is a lucky day for me, so all is bound to go well on my challenge!!! Hey, was there anything in your challenge about how LONG you cycle? Maybe you could just do a few minutes to meet your challenge, then stretch and turn in? :) When I paid for a year's gym membership, I vowed I'd go each day it was open (couldn't on the 4th because of work, so I gave myself an exemption), but on a few days I was REALLY hard put to get there or do anything, so I just did a few minutes on the treadmill and some light weights and felt good that I'd kept my vow to go. Dunno. Can't remember if you specified a time. Anyhow, good luck!!!

To all 21-day challengers, mentioned or unmentioned: :wave: ;) :s: :dizzy: :flow2: :dancer:

redballoon
07-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Amarantha, a bit of watermelon and you'll be set. You'll make 13 no sweat.

Actually, I did it. I got on the bike because I just thought I'm going to get this out of the way. I was a bit late for work because of it but no problem there. So I did the easy 20-minute, average heart rate was 115 workout. Yes, actually, I set 15 mins as the minimum but no intensity limit, just in case I was sick or really run down.

So I've done that for today. It's still a.m. Friday here so I have the day ahead for the sugar challenge but I'm feeling strong thanks to all of you. Mentally strong, physically not, and there is definitely a sugar craving there. But I've also lost weight and that adds to the motivation. There was also a TV program on anorexia and bulumia here last night that I got bits of and I think it has helped strengthen my resolve to eat healthily.

OK, more power to you all!

P.S. It wasn't till I came back in here to fix a typo (yes it's a work-related illness) that I realized I'd rhymed the first sentence. Way to go. Must be some serious rhythm vibes here energizing us all.

redballoon
07-25-2003, 07:59 AM
I did it! I'm signing off soon at the end of Friday. Most of you will just be getting up. I even went to my favorite imported goods store where they have all sorts of chocolates, cookies etc and I usually buy a bunch of things and pig out. Well, today I checked labels and bought nothing with sugar. I had a bit too much to eat maybe because I was munching in between work-related phone calls but I did not eat sugar, and, since I got the bike ride in this morning I am A-OK for Day 4 and heading into Day 5. Yowza!

Power to you all!

Amarantha2
07-25-2003, 08:33 AM
Yo!!! Here I am on FRIDAY THE 13TH (day of my challenge, that is)!!!! I'm going to go ahead and post the emergency weekend foodwatch now for anyone who wants to join in there this weekend!!!

:bravo: Red Balloon for getting your cycling in and arriving safely at Day 5!!! (OT: Don't worry 'bout the rhyme, I do it all the time!!! :s: )

Ditto on the :bravo: for all 21ers mentioned or unmentioned, whatever day we're on!!!

scoobysnacks
07-25-2003, 09:51 AM
Ok Day 8 for me. I did get my walk in last nite after a bit of sleep. I walked a half an hour in the supermarket...which looked very odd but its so much more fun looking at food then watching tv for me. I think i should next time go to costco or BJS(wholesalers) I walked to the supermarket as well...so i got my half our in.

Ok so i will get my half an hour work out in today.

You women are so funny with thing rhyming thing maybe you should get together and sing.

I had a really good dream last nite about going out with a european man who romanced me and left a smile on my face in the morning..then you realize its not real...sigh. Oh well.

Ok Gals, lets do it...we can do it! We are strong and want to take care of yourselves...we are top priority in life!

JenniferE33
07-25-2003, 11:10 AM
Thanks Scoobysnacks, I never thought of drinking water as a shower for my insides, but that is a great way to think of it!!! Haven't had any soda yet today!!! You all are so motivational!!!

scoobysnacks
07-25-2003, 11:25 AM
Awesome job Jennifer! You can do it...no more soda..you can do it.

Amarantha2
07-25-2003, 11:04 PM
Ending my "Friday the 13th" challenge day at 1695! No jive!!! On to day 14!

You rhyme pretty dang well yourself Scoobydo!!! :) Great job on walking in the supermarket!!! When it's hot here and I want to walk but not on treadmill or outside in the noonday Arizona sun, I like to do laps in Super Wally World! You can really get some speed on there and I've been known to do an hour that way ... you kind of have to slow down and look at stuff now and again so they don't think you're odd! :)

:bravo: to all, mentioned or unmentioned! Let's take this thing to the next level!!!

Apple Blossom
07-25-2003, 11:26 PM
Day one went really well, although I still have to get through those late night temptations....I'm trying to keep my calorie intake between 1200 and 1400 and I hit 1225 today. I have trouble believing it though, I feel like I ate alot. But I wrote everything down and I also have a tendency to round up and over estimate calories. I skipped the coffee and had some green tea instead. I also had one beer, but I was going to drink that sometime soon, it's the last one. So I got it over with. I also have to exercise a bit tonight but it probably won't be more than a few sets of sit ups. Well, one down, 20 to go.....:D

redballoon
07-25-2003, 11:38 PM
Amarantha, thanks for the congrats. I live for them! I checked out the Emergency Foodwatch. Great stuff. I'm feeling good now but when those blue days roll around, as they inevitably do, I may avail myself of this great idea. You may be surprised at the things you see listed. Maybe I'll try to gross you all out with seaweed, fermented soybeans and stuff. Unfortunately, since I don't eat meat or fish I can't go into all the raw yummies I could have over here. Ha ha!

AND!!!! drum roll . . . .

Major pats on the back for whipping through 13. Amarantha!! We all know it. You're no bore. You are on to ten plus FOUR!! (memories of high school pep rallies!)

Jennifer, good for you. Drinking soda is a real habit and quitting it is akin to giving up smoking I'd say. It'll be big though in terms of health for you to get away from it. And water, I drink tons and tons of it. It has become a habit but one my body really jumps for joy about! You can do it!

scoobysnacks, excellent stuff you're sending us. Walking in the supermarket, now that's a concept! You are looking temptation in the eye and laughing at it, not only that, but by exercising in its midst you are kicking it in the teeth.

Cool dreams. I love them. So what if you wake up to a different reality? Perhaps the dream is just as real.
Allow me to share a bit from one of my favorite poems. . . .

In a wonderland they lie
Dreaming as the days go by
Dreaming as the summers die
Ever drifting down the stream
Lingering in the golden gleam
Life what is it but a dream.

Lewis Carrol

redballoon
07-25-2003, 11:42 PM
AppleBlossom,

You jumped in there while I was typing. Good for you! You've done it and are on your way. A little bit a beer ain't going hurt nobody. It's the lot a beer that does uggggllllyy things!

By the way, who's the beautiful canine?

Amarantha2
07-26-2003, 09:17 AM
Yo!!! Slug line says it all!!! Here I am at Day 14 and gonna have a Krispy Kreme (ONE)!!!

I can't see all the posts from the screen I'm typing on! Sometimes I have trouble posting on this site because of my privacy software, so I post one letter or something and go into the edit screen to type!!! So please consider all posts replied to and forgive me!!!!

Rumor hath it that this group of 21-day challengers contains members WHO ARE PREDESTINED TO GET AROUND THAT 21-day block in the very near future and even, if they so desire, taking this challenge to the next level by completing a second block and/or a third block, und so weiter!

:gossip: :gossip: :gossip: :gossip: :gossip:

:bravo:

Amarantha2
07-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Ending eating day at 1720! On to Day 15!!!! Avanti, all!!! :dancer:

Apple Blossom
07-27-2003, 01:22 AM
DAY 2 went quite well. I still can't believe I stayed under 1200 cals with all the food I ate. No coffee, no beer. Although I'd really love a glass of cold white wine right now, but there's none in the house.:^:
Everyone must be having a fun week-end....
That's my doggie Sabrina. She turned 10 earlier this month. She's great with the kids and would probably give her life to protect us. The mailman really loves her:smug:
on to day 3.....

redballoon
07-27-2003, 06:54 AM
Day 6 is ending here, successfully! Just the minimum on the bike due to a late night on the town last night. Wasn't feeling up to too much riding. But I did force myself to get out and cycle (today outside) Yesterday too ended fine, with a 30 min. jog on the treadmill at the gym. Both days no sugar!

Monday is Day 7 and I'm going to try to rev up the exercise. You may think no sugar is easy for me but I could NEVER do it without knowing I have to report in here. Thanks for being there!

AppleBlossom, good for you. Are you having any caffeine withdrawals? I cut way back on coffee a couple years ago. Now I only have it in the morning, otherwise no caffeine whatsoever but I know if I don't have the morning dose I'll get bad headaches. Really should probably cut down more. That's another challenge someday. And, Sabrina is beautiful.

Amarantha, you're almost there! You're going to be the first of us to get off the block!

Everyone else, keep it up. Where are you all anyhow! Hope things are going well.

Amarantha2
07-27-2003, 11:17 AM
YOWZA! YOWZA! YOWZA!!! I'm on Day 15 and down a half pound, which was my goal for the week!!!! :dancer:

Congratulations to Red Balloon for another day of exercise and no sugar successfully completed and to Apple Blossom for that great caloric number!!!

And congrats also to all the 21-dayers, mentioned or unmentioned, wherever they may be or whatever day they be on!!!!

Let's keep moving on down that line!!!! :dance:

Apple Blossom, your Sabrina looks like a sweetie!!! Thanks for sharing her picture!!!! :wave:

Amarantha2
07-27-2003, 07:17 PM
Ending eating day at 1785!!! Moving on into my last week in the newsroom and my DAY 16!!!! Gonna bogey on down to DAY 21!!!

:sumo:

Beam me up, Scotty!!! :balloons:

Apple Blossom
07-28-2003, 01:50 AM
Wow Amarantha, you are kicking some butt!!
I had a good day calorie wise although it probably wasn't so hot nutritionally wise. I've decided to take vitamins for these 10 days. I usually don't, I believe you can get all you need by eating right, but sometimes you can't. For dinner I was going to have a salad but I made a grilled cheese sandwich for my kids to share and neither of them wanted it....:rolleyes: So I'm still about 1200 today. I think I'll spurge at 1400 tomorrow. Scale says I'm down 2 pounds but I don't believe it.
See ya tomorrow, be good!

redballoon
07-28-2003, 03:33 AM
AppleBlossom,

Good for you. You're doing it. 1200 seems pretty low. Was that your goal or was it higher? I get confused as to who's doing what here. Any how, at that rate I'd believe you're down 2 lbs!

I'm in the middle of Day 7 here. Haven't ridden the bike yet but will when I get home from work. No sugar so far and I was tempted. Lots of chocolate-covered macadamias on the desk at work. I told them to keep them away from me. They did. So far so good.

redballoon
07-28-2003, 07:22 AM
I did it. Got away from work without a scratch. No sugar! The moment I got home I hopped on the bike for 20 min. It's not much but I couldn't do much and not risk being kept awake. Need to be up early tomorrow morning too. Will have to try to make sure I get the exercise in in the morning.

Am going to have a bit of dinner and hit the hay. Closing out Day 7, Monday here. Wishing you all a great Monday, whatever number it is for you on the challenge!

Good luck!

scoobysnacks
07-28-2003, 10:24 AM
Hi all

11th day and going strong. :)

jelynn
07-28-2003, 11:17 AM
:flow1: Day #7!! :flow1:

bbl

Amarantha2
07-28-2003, 03:19 PM
Yo! Here I am at Day 16!!! Yowza! Everyone's doing great and Apple Blossom is DOWN TWO!!! WTG, AB!!! :cp:

I am concerned about nutrition as well, Apple Blossom. As you can see if you read the foodwatch thread, mine's awful. Right now I'm supplementing heavily w/vitamins and protein and eating pretty bad stuff !

Amarantha2
07-28-2003, 11:40 PM
Ending eating day at 1692 calories!!! ON TO DAY 17!!!

Yowza!!!!

jelynn
07-29-2003, 12:46 AM
:cool: On to day 8!! Even got a walk in tonight :D

Apple Blossom
07-29-2003, 02:34 AM
Hi. Adding up my calories today and I'm under 1000 and I know that can't be true. Ah-ha! Just now I am remembering the cherries! I went to visit my sister-in law and her family and I always pig out there but I was WAY in control. Ah-ha! 1 Tablespoon of sour cream!! I knew I was forgetting stuff. My sister-in-law weighs about the same as me and might only be a tiny bit taller. She wants to lose 25lbs, which is only a fantasy for me. I think my best weight is around 135, 130 at the lowest. I think I would have to take up long distance running again in order to lose that much and I doubt my knees could handle that anymore. Anyway, I have to get into some kind of exercise routine....Yes Redballoon, I have a feeling my calorie goal is too low. I think it will mess up my metabolism if I don't have some higher calorie days, tomorrows goal is 1500!!

redballoon
07-29-2003, 07:03 AM
Amarantha, jelynn, AppleBlossom, congratulations to you all. AppleBlossom, that's amazing that you were able to stay in control in a previously uncontrollable environment. It's those triggers that are the killers. Keep it up all of you. We will all get there!

Closing out Day 8 here. Just a bit of cycling but no sugar! and that was very tough today. You know, I went into the convenience store and normally considering everything I would have been buying sweet things for sure. But no, not a chance. The thought of failing, of having to start over just was so strong that there was no way in the world I'd have eaten sweets. But I do want them! It's amazing what knowing there are concerned people out there watching does. Thanks again!

Amarantha2
07-29-2003, 07:54 AM
Yowza! I'm on Day 17 and ready to go to gym!!!

:bravo: Red Balloon for a successful Day 8!!! :cb: Good save in the convenience store!!!

:bravo: Apple Blossom for your successful day as well! Good decision to up the calories. I think you'll be happy with the result!!!

:bravo: Jelynn: For your walk and your Day 8!!! That's great!!! :)

No time for :gossip: but will be back later!!!

And a double :bravo: :bravo: to all the the great 21-day challengers, mentioned or unmentioned, whether they be a-posting or not!!! :wave:

Avanti!

Apple Blossom
07-29-2003, 06:22 PM
Does anyone else use Fitday to keep track of calorie? I have a sneaky feeling I'm consuming more calories than it says I do.

Amarantha2
07-29-2003, 10:22 PM
Ending eating day at 1645 and on to Day 18!!!! Braindead and going to bed to read, so that calorie will likely hold!

Apple Blossom, a lot of people seem to use Fitday, so I'm sure somebody'll answer your query. I've got an account there, but find it too cumbersome. The software I downloaded over the weekend does all the same things and it's on my hard drive! :)

redballoon
07-29-2003, 10:48 PM
Wow Amarantha, Day 18. That's awesome. The number still seems far away for me but I'll get there too. Only 4 more days for you. Just starting Day 9 here, Wednesday.

Apple Blossom, I tried using Fitday but like Amarantha I don't use it now. But that's mostly because I hate counting calories and because online time is so expensive here. Still, I thought it seemed accurate while I did use it. If you have most of the calorie counts already why don't you use the custom food function and make up your own. Are you sure you're putting in the right quantities and refreshing things so it'll register?

jelynn
07-30-2003, 12:51 AM
:flow2: Day 8 complete! Bring on day 9!! :flow2: Y'all are doing awesome!!

Apple Blossom
07-30-2003, 12:56 AM
Thanks for your help everyone. Fitday works pretty quickly for me, and I like the break down of daily nutrients too. (I need more protien). I just can't believe I've hit my target zone for 5 days in a row! I must be doing something right, and the scale better respond!!! Tomorrow I'll have some time to myself, so I'll go for a jog! It's not supposed to be as hot as it has been either. It's quite pleasant now, I've turned the AC off.
:cp: Hurray for day 18 and Day 9!!! Way to go!

redballoon
07-30-2003, 02:16 AM
Well into Day 9 now but feeling so down I haven't been to the gym or riding the bike yet. No sugar but AppleBlossom, I know how you feel about wanting to see a difference. This is where it gets very difficult. I feel fatter if anything and the effort of these past days wasn't fun.

But I can't throw in the towel. I think we all get too fixated on our bodies when we're trying to lose weight and actually making the effort that every little change is seen as bad.

I've got to be strong. Give me some encouragement people! Please!

redballoon
07-30-2003, 07:50 AM
Well, here I am again. Closing out Day 9 with an all-clear ahead. Got through the down times. Rode the bike outside. No sugar. Tomorrow it's into the double-digits!

Good for you jelynn, keep it up!

Amarantha2
07-30-2003, 09:09 AM
Think I've mentioned this, but if you see a strange post from me with only one character, it's because I need to get to the edit screen to post because of my kinky software, so bear with me!!! :s:

I added a tablespoon of my defatted pb last night, so reached the 1700s but still in the ballpark and OFFICIALLY HAVE ENTERED THE DAY 18 ZONE! Would it be koposetic (sp?) with everyone if we started a new thread on Sunday, just to make it easier to post? I will volunteer to cut and paste everybody's challenge posts with their last posted day so nothing will be lost. Let me know, as I do not want to selfishly do this if anyone objects. I am grateful for the support of the posters on this thread, without whom I would not be 100 percent sure I will reach Day 21 ... and the wash don't rise (as they say here) or ... and the creek don't rise (as they say in the midwest where I used to live)! ;)

Red Balloon!!! Hang in! IMNHO (In My Not Humble Opinion), you could just be suffering the effects of getting off the refined sugar. I personally can't do the low carb thing because when I limit carbs I get highly depressed. But since you aren't limiting carbs but only sugar (as far as I can tell just from the discussion), you're likely just missing it in your system and it'll get better.
Can you up you intake of good carbs and fiber? Maybe you aren't getting enough fat in your diet and could add a bit of natural (no sugar) pb? Dunno. Anyhow, don't give up!!! Maybe you could cut back on the exercise for a few days without giving it up altogether? Keep a'going!! You have a good idea in giving up the sugar!! Wish I could do that! :cp:

Ok, the net is reacting badly to the storms here, so I'd better try to post this! Avanti! :wave: :dancer: :gossip:

scoobysnacks
07-30-2003, 11:30 AM
Hello all you amazing people,

!3th day and still going. Thought i was going to blow it yeasterday but 11 pm came around and i was out the door for my half hour walk..actually hour walk. thank goodness for this challenge. Keeps me straight.

Talk with you later

Sheryl

jelynn
07-30-2003, 11:53 AM
Day 9 for me and I'm hungry!! Better get sometthing (healthy) to eat soon before I binge-lol.

Am- I don't mind a new thread at all

I'm on day 9 today- just about half way! :dance:

Amarantha2
07-30-2003, 10:39 PM
Thanks, Jelynn, for weighing in on the new thread idea. My computer doesn't like threads that are too long ... opens slowly!!! :)

:bravo: on your Day 9!!!

:bravo: To Scooooobydooo for the last minute save. Good job on getting out the door at the 11th hour, Scooby!!! :cp:

:bravo: To all 21-day challengers, mentioned and unmentioned, who are sticking with this or even starting over as I type, because eventually ALL challengers will reach the first block level, then the next and the next!!!

I am excited as I've gone longer on this than ever before!!! I am planning my next challenge, though I have a few more days on this one. This week has been more difficult than all the others, but I shall reach the finish line!!!

Ending eating DAY 18 at 1770!!

:gossip: :gossip: :gossip: :gossip: :write: :write: :write: :gossip: :gossip: :gossip:

Apple Blossom
07-31-2003, 01:16 AM
:cp: :cp: :cp: :cp:
Everyone is doing great!!! Wa-hoooo!!!!
I went for a walk/jog today, about 25 minutes. I wish I could do that everyday, it feels so good. I did some stretching when I finished. I am so tight!!! I resolve to stretch twice a day until my mucsles regain a little flexibility. Cals around 1500 today. I think tomorrow needs to be a lower one.
By the way, new thread OK with me....:sunny: :comp:

jelynn
07-31-2003, 03:59 PM
Day 10 for me- I'm going to do this!!!!!

Amarantha...you are so close...you WILL do this!! BRAVO! :cp:

Great job everyone on the challenge!! :D :encore: :high: :cb: :strong: :bravo:

Amarantha2
07-31-2003, 08:26 PM
Ending eating day at 1700!!! Day 19 almost complete and ON TO DAY 20!!!

:bravo: Jelynn and Apple Blossom and may I echo your WAHHOOO!!! We're doing great, but we are missing some people in recent days ... how is everyone? Hope all is well! :callme:

Thanks, AB for advising re the new thread!

:cheers:

redballoon
07-31-2003, 09:29 PM
Reporting in with an all-clear on Day 10. It's on to 11 now. No time to respond individually but just let me say you all are strong and something else! Keep it up. Your resolve fuels mine. I could never have done it without you. I think we produce a kind of collective energy that helps to motivate us.

Amarantha, thanks for the carb advice. It's hard to tell at this point. Other things in my life are majorily stressful right now. I am not eating much at all. That's good for losing weight but it isn't good for my body. It must feel under siege. Will try to give it some support today!

Also, PLEASE make a new thread. This is getting way out of hand and the high cost of being online here makes it very hard on me for one as I'm sure it does for others. I want to read things slowly but waiting for the printable version and then one with all the posts just takes so long.

Over and out! Forward on!

Apple Blossom
07-31-2003, 11:21 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I've finished up day seven at about 1400 cals. I also went for another walk/jog and cut 3 minutes off my time. Oh yea.
I really had a hard time controling munchies today, but I made it through. And I REALLY REALLY wanted pizza for dinner but I had bought some fish at the store today and I was a good girl and ate that instead.:jeno: :jeno: :jeno: :jeno: I hope I can ward off the pizza monster .....
I was down 2 lbs again this morning (my scale seems to work in 2's) But because I've been feeling so bloated and puffy today, I'll wait to officially report that loss....:^:
On to day 8!

Amarantha2
07-31-2003, 11:39 PM
Yo! Thanks for reportin' in, Red Balloon! I will definitely start a new thread on Sunday (or late Saturday)!!!! Keep going with your challenge. You're doing great and PLEASE be kind to your body and feed it regularly. We only have one body, right?

Apple Blossom :bravo: on the 2 pounds down!!!! It's hard to wait for that "official" day but whatever the scale show's, you KNOW you're on a downward trend.

I'm saying that to myself as well, I added a 50-cal low sugar mandarin orange serving, which still keeps me in the challenge, but I've been a bit high all week. My new diet software program tells me I need to have a few low days to lose a half a pound ... feeling stressed and heavy and may even gain, but I KNOW it will be temporary gain and I am on my way to SUCCesssSSSSS!!!

Later, gators! :callme:

redballoon
08-01-2003, 12:00 AM
Yes, Amarantha, We really mustn't worry about the temporary setbacks if they happen. They aren't really setbacks after all. They're successes in disguise. Let's not them fool us!

redballoon
08-01-2003, 03:41 AM
Well, I've already ridden the bike for the day. The easy 20-minute routine but I got it in. I work up more of a sweat than I do with the same time outside but think that may just be due to the wind factor. I'll have to put the heartrate monitor on when I'm outside and test the difference. It's a lot more interesting outside but you do have to remain alert to dodge traffic and people (and in central Tokyo there are lots of both!)

Right now I'm eating cherries and an orange. I realize, and thanks to Amarantha's warnings, that I probably haven't been eating enough. ;) Unless I actually go out of my way to make something up there's not much I'm going to find without sugar in it. So, not eating sugar reallly, really automatically cuts out a LOT of food. It really is a good way to cut down on calories without counting them. :D

The only problem is if you start eating pancakes with gobs of butter on it or something or pig out on potato chips. But, since I'm a vegetarian perhaps I've never been big into fatty foods. Anyhow, I went out and bought fruit because it was still fairly easy and didn't need preparation.

So I'm heading through Day 11 pretty well. Hope all you out there are doing fine. Those who aren't posting, don't be shy. If you've blown it and don't feel like starting over, why not just pick another goal and start that.

Well, just had some time and wanted to check in 'cause I felt kind of lonely! :^:

Amarantha2
08-01-2003, 05:30 AM
:bravo: Red Balloon on your advancement to Day 11 and on adding the fruit to your diet!!!

Also echoing your words to those that aren't posting but who still may be interested but don't wanna do it all over again ... this 21-day thing is one of the most useful tools around and the sky's the limit as far as goals ... it's fun to try new things.

I'm thinking of what my new challenge will be ... I'll announce it on Sunday. I feel I've gotten some real control over the calories from doing this ... have never been able to go three weeks before and now it is a habit.

Avanti!!!

redballoon
08-01-2003, 08:34 AM
Closing out a successful Day 11. Maybe I ate too much today but I met up with a friend for dinner. No sugar though and got even more bike riding in because I biked to and from the restaurant.

Yes, Amarantha, I'm thinking up a new challenge too. In fact, I think I'm going to stick to this one or make minor changes and join another thread for that. ButĘgoing through the 21 days is a great disciplinary measure. Well, OK, I'm not there yet, but I will be in about 10 days. Boy, that doesn't sound like much when you say it like that. Counting makes it seem like more.

To bed and dreams of Day 12 . . . not! (the dreams I mean!)

scoobysnacks
08-01-2003, 11:13 AM
Ok the 15th day. Its easier to exercise with someone...so my brother has been walking with me...he is great. We walk around the charles river and walk to baskin robins hoping to find my brothers favorite icecream, World class chocolate. They never have it so its rather funny that ask for it everyday. I love the summer...and reall loath the fall. So i have one more month to soak up the summer....

I am really thankful for the challenge! I say that every day. Its fun and its cool to read how other people are on there adventure...its really nice!

Sheryl

Amarantha2
08-01-2003, 04:56 PM
:bravo: to Red Balloon for Day 11 and to Scoob for Day 15!!! :dancer:

I'm grateful for the challenge, too, and intend to do a second one on the new thread!!! This has worked wonders for my diet!

I posted a book challenge thread up there too for extra behavior mod. Not everyone eats while they read, but I need to stop doing that, so am challenging myself and others to read a whole book without nibbling during the reading!!! It's just extra, if anyone wants to post there!

Avanti!!!

Amarantha2
08-01-2003, 07:38 PM
Guys! Since it is August 1, I'd like to just switch us to a second thread. My computer REALLY hates opening the longer threads, even though we can just open the last page. Also, can everyone just repost their own goals and days? I did promise to do this but find it's kind of unfeasible right now ... we've got a lot of longish posts here (p.s., I pledge to be briefer in future)!

So, could we end this one now and see you on the 21-Day Challenge #2 (or words to that effect) even though we are all still on 21-Day #1 ... well, you get the concept!!! :callme: