Living Maintenance - Maintainers Springing Loose those last few @*lbs@*kgs@*!

silverbirch
02-18-2014, 07:15 AM
Welcome to our spring thread! Yes, within a few weeks it will be the vernal equinox in the northern hemisphere. The snow will retreat, the winds will abate and the rain will lessen. We'll start to venture outdoors a little more.

In the southern hemisphere, the overpowering heat of summer will soon be giving way to autumn. A glorious time to be out and about.

These @*lbs@*kgs@* have to go and this is the place to talk about tactics and strategy. Whether you're changing your approach or sticking to the tried and trusted, tell us what and how you're doing. We'll encourage and cajole. And at any moment, a snatch of someone else's post can stick in your mind and offer you the germ of an idea. As I said, these @*lbs@*kgs@* simply have to go. And go they shall.

alinnell
02-18-2014, 11:26 AM
I was down 8 or 9 but this weekend wasn't too good for me. I'll start counting again when I re-re-re lose the pound or two I gained over the weekend.

traveling michele
02-18-2014, 11:37 AM
One of my lost pounds found me again. I was kinda surprised because I kept calories low, worked out, and donated blood. I asked the blood gal (phlebotomist?) how much the blood weighs that you donate and she said about a pound. However, my back is killing me still (back to the chiropractor tonight again) and I'm taking anti-inflammatories so I'll blame that.

BillBlueEyes
02-18-2014, 11:54 AM
I'm happy with the slow dwindlage of my @*lbs@*kgs@* so far this winter. Wish I wasn't so hard on myself for having put them back on. I hate pounds that returned after diligently chasing them away.

DW wants me to buy some pants that can have anti-tick material sprayed on them. (Lyme disease from deer ticks is a bit frightening.) So I have to lose the last few pounds to comfortably fit my current trousers or spray a pair that are slightly big. This projecting future weight isn't a sure thing, LOL.

Arctic Mama
02-18-2014, 12:15 PM
I've been quiet lately but am still here, working off the last pounds via my preferred method for losing (the only one that comfortably works for me these days). I'm down 13-ish pounds since I began, only about two pounds above my previous all-time low, and I've got another twenty or thirty to go, I think. We'll see.

Mudpie
02-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Meat in a net for dinner - some sort of pork/ham/MSG mixture. Threw it in the slow cooker this morning with shanghai bok choy and mushrooms (close to compost veggies so had to do something with them) and some lite mushroom soup. I sang the "Spam, spam, spam spam" song the whole time I was eating it. I know DH won't touch it so I have my dinner for the next 4 nights or so - it was a BIG net. :lol3:

We save on our food budget by buying all the meat that's marked down. This wasn't on sale but was a bargain price. Now I know why. As a science experiment :dizzy: the dinner was edible but not really good or tasty. Gotta love that slow cooker though - I had a hot meal :hungry: ready for me with about 15 minutes prep in the morning. After slogging around in a snowstorm all day anything hot and fast is good in my book. And I get 4 dinners for about 15 bucks total - great since DH may be unemployed as of Thursday.

Dagmar :shrug:

alinnell
02-18-2014, 08:26 PM
Our local grocery store has a section in the meats for buy one get one free.
They put together all the fixings for fajitas (steak or chicken all cut up with the peppers and onions wrapped separately). Two packages of that is maybe $3 or $4 and will feed us both for dinner and leftovers for lunch and all we need to add is the tortilla. They have all kinds of cuts of meat--some seasoned for specific dishes. Talk about a time and money saver!

Last night I made a chicken and black bean panini that is to die for! It called for two chicken breasts and that was way too much chicken so I have some seasoned and cooked chicken for tomorrow night's chef salad.

Off to obedience class with Bogey in a little bit. Can't believe I took my Up band off this morning to charge and forgot to put it back on. Walking steps will be all out of whack!

Mudpie
02-19-2014, 06:29 AM
One of my eating problems in winter is drinking :p. I really don't like to drink plain water, particularly in winter. DH got 3 flats of water on sale this weekend and I'm putting out 2 bottles (totalling one litre) every morning and making sure I drink them during the day. And I had a glass of low fat milk as a bedtime snack last night, rather than fruit or jellybeans.

I felt much less stressed going to bed and slept for 7 hours straight (the Mudpie yowling alarm woke me about 30 minutes before my clock alarm). Usually I sleep for about 4-5 hours, wake up, and never know whether I can get back to sleep of not. Whenever I am well-hydrated I seem to sleep more.

I keep taking stabs at being well-hydrated but didn't figure out a system, until now. In the warmer months I hope to incorporate another bottle of water into the mix at lunchtime. I find if I chug them I can get a 500ml bottle down in one go.

Dagmar :rain:

silverbirch
02-19-2014, 07:02 AM
:dizzy: Tell me what 'chug' actually means, if you wouldn't mind? The way you're using it here sounds a bit technical.

saef
02-19-2014, 09:39 AM
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/sMMT_8zRNBs5JXsqvZsSHQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2012-11-19T003356Z_1391968808_GM1E8BJ0NQF01_RTRMADP_3_USA-SPRINT-CUP.JPG

Chug: To gulp one's drink with great avidity; often used to describe the way a frat boy attacks a pitcher of beer.

ICUwishing
02-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Yay, new thread! :wave: I don't have anything new or interesting to report as far as my @*lbs@*kgs@*. I gained a couple this winter and intend to remove them during the span of this thread. I will update my ticker to represent today's reality.

dagmar, it never occurred to me that there might be a connection between hydration and sleep. :chin: I'm not usually a "good" sleeper and am always on the hunt for ways to improve things. I'll have to add this to the mix.

bill, I agree, future weight projections are dicey at best. Lyme disease definitely adds a new dimension to a spontaneous walk in the woods. I hope this long winter has been mercilessly difficult for those little b ... bugs. :D

michele, wishing you good thoughts on resolving the back problems quickly.

traveling michele
02-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks Becky. I went to the chiropractor last night and he said I was the worst he had seen me. All of my progress wiped out. Wish I know what I did. I really don't like taking anti-inflammatories so I'm trying today without one but that may be a mistake.

I'm having lunch today with Henry Winkler! So excited I couldn't sleep! It is an author luncheon so I don't know what my lunch will be but I'm trying not to be anxious about that. I have a lot of events coming up with uncertain food choices-- they tend to make me a tad anxious. Friday night is a dinner/auction for my school. It starts at 6 pm. My yoga ends at 6 pm. I'd hate to miss yoga AND eat foods that aren't likely on plan. I *think* I'm going to tell the teacher I have to leave at 5:45 and then I'll shower and put on my makeup, etc. at yoga-- hopefully I'd be to the auction no later than 6:30 which I think constitutes fashionably late? I know that dinner is served at 7:30 and the event goes till 11:00 pm. I'll have to be organized with my clothes, makeup, and jewelry though....

silverbirch
02-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Streak is 50. (I did post here yesterday but, pouf, it's gone. Strange.)

Michele, sorry about your back. Did it happen after you did two yoga sessions together? (Trying not to say b... to b...)

saef, thanks for chug definition. Here, a chugger is someone who stops you in the street and tries to get you to sign up to supporting a charity through a direct debit on your bank account. (A completely stupid idea, in my view.)

dagmar, I'm enjoying a lot of herbal tea at present. And normal tea, particularly Earl Grey and orange pekoe - I take it very weak with no milk (always have done).

Taryl, :wave:

Everyone, :wave: I'm enormously tired. I've given up my gymn membership and am doing all my exercises at home. It means I am really able to focus on the muscle and the result is a very good workout and complete exhaustion in the evening.

Mudpie
02-19-2014, 07:56 PM
We had a beautiful spring-like day here. I shucked off my 40 lb. winter coat in favour of my "other 3 seasons" jacket and it was amazing how much more energy I had for the day.

But after I got home from the dogs' dinner walk suddenly someone pulled the plug. Maybe it's because I didn't have an extra tea at lunch or in the late afternoon. I had canned soup and a sandwich for dinner - DH is late and can forage for himself - and now I'm about ready for bed - at 7 p.m. :lol:

think I'll park myself in my recliner and force myself to read a bit about Peter Dinklage - who is on this month's Esquire cover. We watch Game of Thrones pretty much for his character only.

Dagmar :tired: :shrug:

traveling michele
02-20-2014, 12:10 AM
Birchie... I literally have no idea what I did. It's very frustrating to say the least.

joyofsix
02-20-2014, 07:45 AM
Ooh, I need this. I had about 3 ugly pounds and then I got sick last week so it's probably more now. I'm avoiding the scale until my designated Saturday morning weigh in. I just need to count those calories, avoid late night snacks and up the exercise. Maybe now the snow is melting I should be able to up my exercise. At least that's the plan. I'd like to get a new summer running outfit so if I get back to 130 that's my prize.

ICUwishing
02-20-2014, 09:10 AM
Pleasant surprise last night - I went back in to LoseIt to start with the calorie tracking again, and the entire app has updated. While I liked it before, I am really impressed with it now. I scanned 10 bar codes on various stuff in the pantry, and it was dead on with 9 of them and only slightly off on the other.

I've reserved my hotel rooms for our state championship swim meet at the end of March. It's only inducing a small amount of panic. Once I pick my events, the commitment goes up exponentially.

Mudpie
02-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Pleasant surprise last night - I went back in to LoseIt to start with the calorie tracking again, and the entire app has updated. While I liked it before, I am really impressed with it now. I scanned 10 bar codes on various stuff in the pantry, and it was dead on with 9 of them and only slightly off on the other.

I've reserved my hotel rooms for our state championship swim meet at the end of March. It's only inducing a small amount of panic. Once I pick my events, the commitment goes up exponentially.

Becky Do you compete for the sake of competing or do you do it to win?

Dagmar :dizzy:

traveling michele
02-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Becky-- do you have favorite strokes you swim? When I was on the swim team in my youth, I loved butterfly. Not to brag (ha ha), but I held the record for 9-10 butterfly for many years-- my name was on the wall and all.... I can barely swim it now though as I'm so out of practice!

CherryPie99
02-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Wow Michele! I was also on the swim team and my stroke was the butterfly! I didn't set any records, though!!

Arctic Mama
02-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Too much snow here! We've been having the opposite weather of the lower 48, mostly warmer and dry. But yesterday we got 9-ish inches. My inlaws are out of town and we are going over there for lunch between piano and swimming today, so my husband cleared their driveway AND ours, which was about three hours of work even with a snowblower on theirs (ours requires the good, old fashioned method of snow removal).

So yeah, yesterday we were late all the way into the evening, and I'm dragging today.

I'm also having the fun side effect of weight loss - freezing my rear off. I actually had to take a second shower last night before bed because I was so cold it hurt. I raised my core temp a bit with a boiling shower, enough that I could fall asleep.

ICUwishing
02-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Dagmar, I am only competitive against myself. On a state level, I am usually guaranteed a top-6 finish in anything I swim, so I typically pick my events for the maximum amount of points for my team.

michele, my favorite is the backstroke and IMs, then the distance events. I haven't been in good enough shape for a long time to "enjoy" butterfly, but I think I can get back to it, eventually.

Very cool that there are other swimmers here! I'll make my pitch, again, for Masters swimming - it is HUGE fun and it is clear that nothing can stave off aging like swimming does!

silverbirch
02-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Streaking to 51.

I met an acquaintance today in the supermarket. We chatted for a bit and then moved away from one another still talking a little.

Then she shouted down the aisle, "Silverbirch! Have you lost weight?"

And I did not say, "Yes! Nine pounds through determined effort since the beginning of January. I am on an incredible no butter or peanut butter streak. Don't you think I am fantastic?"

No.

I said, "Ooh. Do you think so?"

So then she said, "Oh yes, you have, you know. [Looking me up and down] Yes, you have."

I said, "Oh. Hmm. Well yes. See you then."

Friends, this is perfectly excellent. I'm keeping this up. Thanks for being here. :grouphug:

ICUwishing
02-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Silverbirch, did she check your teeth, too? :lol: That is quite an accomplishment to lose so much, quickly and with great determination. You and Allison are our "springing loose all-stars"! :cheer:

silverbirch
02-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Silverbirch, did she check your teeth, too? :lol: That is quite an accomplishment to lose so much, quickly and with great determination. You and Allison are our "springing loose all-stars"! :cheer:

No need for her to check my teeth as her husband does that. He's my dentist! She worked there too at one point and so does know more about the inside of my mouth than most people do.

Thanks! I am finding it all quite amazing, actually. I can see three things which are contributing.

a) My perennial problems with my SI joint and just about everything even vaguely related to it seem to be practically under control.

b) My work has changed in nature somehow and I have more brain space to work out plans of attack.

c) The SO and I have somehow managed to change things round so I'm not doing so much of things which drive me up the wall.

saef
02-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Birchie, what a victory! Someone can SEE the difference in you!

You're an inspiration to me.

I've no idea what my scale will tell me this week. I feel like I've worked hard in the gym but I also feel as though I've eaten more than usual. I've been working this week on getting to bed earlier, and the thaw and the flood wall approval have changed my mood considerably from what it was earlier this week. Less stress & better sleep have to be good, don't they?

We'll see what number I get on the scale tomorrow.

BillBlueEyes
02-20-2014, 05:05 PM
Yay for the one+ pound per week streaking off Silverbirch. Might lead one to conclude that there be calories in butter and peanut butter.

It's 52 degrees F out there right now. I'll shortly leave to walk to a late afternoon event and I might find myself overdressed, LOL.

Mudpie
02-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Another former swimmer here - summer camp had someone who coached during the school season so he gave us the benefit of his knowledge. I was best at breaststroke, though I did prefer the crawl (as it was known back in the mid-sixties).

DH and I tried to go for a bit at a community centre and at a high school. The chlorine in the water killed our eyes, even with goggles. We also were so out of shape that after 2 consecutive lengths of the pool and I had to take a small break. DH had to stop after every length. Too tiring. We could barely pull ourselves out of the pool after about 30 minutes.

saef
02-21-2014, 07:45 AM
Relearning this week what I've always known: That perfectly executing my exercise routine, or even adding in an additional class, does not affect my weight at all if I'm not mindful of portions and snacking.

Because I'm up to 153.2. I thought I would be. I'm getting better at reading signs in my body and slight changes in what is puffy and how my arms and neck and stomach look.

Now off to the gym, a bit late, and in a dark mood, reflective of the rain, which is at least a result of mild temperatures and the blessed thaw.

CherryPie99
02-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Might lead one to conclude that there be calories in butter and peanut butter.

You shut your dirty mouth!!!!!! :p

ICUwishing
02-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Thanks! I am finding it all quite amazing, actually. I can see three things which are contributing.

a) My perennial problems with my SI joint and just about everything even vaguely related to it seem to be practically under control.

b) My work has changed in nature somehow and I have more brain space to work out plans of attack.

c) The SO and I have somehow managed to change things round so I'm not doing so much of things which drive me up the wall.

Silverbirch, you've given me a lot to think about. While you are focusing with your streak on foods that historically have been issues for you, the other 3 items seem to be removal of "noise". :chin:

Jen, :lol3:

alinnell
02-21-2014, 11:14 AM
I have not experienced a weight drop this week. I sure hope next week is better. I was lazy last night and didn't want to cook a healthy meal, so I did a 10 minute non-healthy meal, but with a smaller portion than I usually eat. No spike in weight despite all the extra calories. I won't mention what I made as it came from a box and a can and I'm sure had thousands of grams more salt than I need.

traveling michele
02-21-2014, 11:44 AM
Streaking to 51.

And I did not say, "Yes! Nine pounds through determined effort since the beginning of January. I am on an incredible no butter or peanut butter streak. Don't you think I am fantastic?"

Friends, this is perfectly excellent. I'm keeping this up. Thanks for being here. :grouphug:

This is excellent! I had to laugh because I read it wrong at first and thought you said the above!!

Becky-- you finish the top 6 in the state at your meets?!?! Are you super fast!? I know that I am no longer a fast swimmer. It tires me out tremendously. There is a pool at my gym but it's an indoor pool which I really don't like. Maybe I'll be inspired to get in there and try some laps one of these days. I could never swim the backstroke-- I always went crooked and hit the ropes. Not fast enough at freestyle. I was decent at breaststroke. Guess I would need some good googles too.... hmmmm... food for thought....

Also, I only have bikinis as swimsuits. Is that tacky to wear to the gym to swim laps?? They aren't teeny tiny bikinis...

ICUwishing
02-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Michele, no, I've never been a superstar. It's just with Masters swimming, age groups are broken up every 5 years, and depending on where they have the meet, there might only be 6 (or fewer) in the age group swimming. I never qualified for state meets as a kid, except in the occasional relay. With the exception of breaststroke, I'm just one of those all-purpose swimmers who's reasonably competent in everything. I swim because I love the sensation of swimming. If my personality were such that I were internally "driven" to be the best, I probably have the natural ability to go there. It's not that I'm lazy - it's just that I don't want my life to be one-dimensional (same goes for dieting and weight loss!). I've seen plenty of swimmers in the pool with the fitness bikinis - they look really comfortable! For goggles, I have to say that the best pair I've ever had are ones I got as a gift at Christmas - they are the ones in the Hammacher Schlemmer catalog. They fit divinely; whatever the gasket material is, it's heaven. I don't get either a headache or raccoon eyes, and the optics are terrific. I've already swiped the pair my mom gave my son -figured since he's not swimming, he won't miss them. ;)

Allison, not likely that one meal will stall you too much. It'll just make for a more impressive drop when you get it!

I'm back at 153 again after a few days of better behavior. Now if I can string together a few more days ...

silverbirch
02-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Silverbirch, you've given me a lot to think about. While you are focusing with your streak on foods that historically have been issues for you, the other 3 items seem to be removal of "noise". :chin:

Becky, you're exactly right. I hate "noise", I like space between things and I can't multi-task without getting a headache. I like to concentrate.

I think that's why I'm letting my gymn membership lapse at the end of the month. I want to be able to concentrate on my exercise and there's too much noise going on to be able to. I'm already finding myself much more tired after working out like this at home so I think I'm more effective.

I'm in a less is more phase and I wouldn't mind if it went on for ever. Less exercise for better results. Less food for better digestion and lower weight. Less work for more mental space.

Allison, salt! It'll go away and you'll have a whoosh.

Streaking to 52.

neurodoc
02-22-2014, 03:18 AM
Well, insomnia s*cks, but it does have a few advantages, such as finding the time to post on this thread despite a very busy day.

Saef, I too have to keep relearning the maxim that you can't out-exercise bad eating habits, although I must say that I bet neither one of us has truly bad eating, just a "sluggish" metabolism coupled with a few extra handfuls of good-for-you food.

Silverbirch- what is your occupation? And now you've intrigued me with your statement about "doing so much of things that drive you up a wall." What sort of things? And what is allowing you to not do them?

Meanwhile, I am endlessly bouncing between 131 and 133. My food logging is now reliable enough that I can see my maintenance, with exercise is somewhere around 1800. So I eat 1500-1600 cals a few days in a row, drop 1/2 pound of "real" weight, then lose my discipline, get hungry and eat 2000 cals one day (or two) and back it comes. <Sigh>. I can't seem to remember how to eat at a deficit for weeks at a time, the way I did when losing my weight to begin with.

Mudpie
02-22-2014, 08:02 AM
I think I have reached the point where I have to give up all the excuses :o for why I'm overindulging in everything. And I have to go back to my no :no: alcohol policy - that's where all the trouble starts. I managed just fine with no booze for 10 years and can do so for the next 20 or how ever many I have left. Drinking alcohol :hat: is a very self-destructive act :barf: for me and I've slipped back into using it to "cure" what ails me.

But it doesn't help. Just like overeating doesn't help. Being healthy helps.

Dagmar :(

silverbirch
02-22-2014, 08:24 AM
The SO and I have somehow managed to change things round so I'm not doing so much of things which drive me up the wall. I suppose what I meant here with ďthings which drive me up the wallĒ comes down to planning, shopping for and making the evening meal and lunches at the weekend. There are other things which have to be done which I donít like but theyíre not so pressing so I donít feel so terrible about them. Some of them I just donít do (for example, Iím not very good at vacuuming although I am getting a bit better at it lately. The SO is a very good vacuumer, courtesy of his parents, I think.)

We both cook but recently the SO has had more concerted work than me so Iíve been doing all the meals in the week, and heís been doing them at the weekend. He also eats very much more than me and likes different things. Iíve been flagging at thinking of what to feed him and the DB to keep them going whilst also pleasing me. That lead to misery on my part and the butter/peanut butter thing in the late afternoon as, once again, I had to contemplate this daily conundrum. For his part, he found himself eating food he wasnít particularly keen on, and probably not enough of it. This wasnít good on a number of levels, especially because he bikes five miles to work and five miles back in what can be, at this time of year, some fairly hostile weather.

Iíve tended to do most of the shopping, in the past once a week and recently twice a week. This is because I drive and he doesnít. I also donít like having groceries delivered because I see the people picking the goods in the store and they are fairly rough and ready, and because the service costs a certain amount (although this is still less than if the SO went to the shops by bus and back).

The new plan is that we sit down on Saturday morning to talk through and write a menu for the week ahead. The SO writes it down. I write the shopping list to ensure we have the things we need. The menu includes at least one large meal which will feed us for two or three meals, and he usually makes this on a Wednesday when heís working from home.

On Sunday morning, he and I go shopping. (I used to go with the DB but heís gone off that idea recently.) The SO and I are able to do this as heís no longer working flat out on Sundays. I also go shopping elsewhere on Wednesday. We both pick up the unusual stuff as we can, when weíre out and about.

The result is that (when it's my turn) I can look at the weekly menu in the morning, take anything required out of the freezer and know what weíre having that night when I come home in the afternoon. Itís quite relaxing, weíre eating a wider range of things and everyone is feeling nourished and loved.

Iíve been an independent research consultant since 1987, after a number of jobs in the public sector. I work across a number of fields. There was plenty of work in the beginning, then it began to tail off following a number of political changes and since 2008 itís been much more scarce. There are many more people in the market than when I started, following a lot of redundancies over the years.

Iíve recently been able to make a mental shift about my work situation. I decided around 1990 not to take on work with people I donít like, and I still donít. This is for my mental health (lifeís too short etc) and it cuts out quite a range of stressful situations. Now I do take on those research contracts which come along and fit the bill but Iím also doing much more work across different languages and which are writing jobs. This is terrific, I really enjoy it and new doors are opening. Itís fun and I seem to have more time.

You should know that we have very low outgoings, in the main, and the SOís work is looking stable at the moment. :crossed:

saef
02-22-2014, 09:21 AM
This is what I do: I face a task that daunts me. Either I doubt I'll do it very well, or doubt my ability to do it at all, or I've got to interact with a person and I think they're going to be critical or dismissive of me, or I have to tell someone something that I know will pain them to hear, or it's an interaction that's going to require some strong emotion from me and I'm trying to muster it up.

I try to feint away from it or delay it, yes, escape, though not for good -- I am dutiful, after all. Or I feel so bleak, like life is just a series of unending tasks, that I feel like I need a momentary break, a few minutes of pleasure. I want to stop time, take a breather within a kind of parenthesis.

That's when I wander into the kitchen or try very hard to conjure up something on the Internet that gives me a kind of fix. It can be a moment of mental engagement or delight, like from an interesting article, or a post on this site -- it doesn't have to be physical.

After that, I make myself do or confront what needs to be done.

I'm like a dog who needs her treat BEFORE completing the task.

It feels like procrastination, too.

Oh, and it helps if the thing crunches. Gum was my go-to, but the sorbitol in that stuff plays havoc with my digestive system, so I'm trying to avoid it. This week it was handfuls of plain organic cacao nibs. Which similarly has some laxative effect, but only by virtue of adding a lot of fiber to one's diet, I think -- it's not as gaseous-making as sugarfree gum.

This is what's getting to me lately.

Mudpie
02-22-2014, 11:28 AM
Does anyone else never have a day off - not just from work but from all other things like work - cooking, cleaning, etc.? I tend to find I never seem to get an entire day to just enjoy myself, unless I'm away on vacation in another city.

That has been most stressful in my life lately. There are a lot of other things too but I think that tops the list.

I am kind of taking a day off today in that I'm doing pet care, banking, and a couple of small work emails. Oh and I made the bed as DH is working from home.

I wish I were feeling less hungover (see my earlier post) so I could enjoy the day more. :barf:. I must do this on a monthly basis - take a day for mostly me. Much better than the "alcoholiday". :p

Dagmar :tired:

alinnell
02-22-2014, 11:42 AM
Silverbirch~I, too, plan out our meals a week in advance. I try to put out the things needed for that evening's meal but sometimes forget. I like variety and I like a good meal. But lately I don't feel like cooking so much. I think it has to do with the fact that is is just me and DH. I'll go all out on Sunday's meal when my in-laws are here but the rest of the week sometimes we just have a sandwich (however, these are not "just" sandwiches). On occasion, especially if we've gone out for lunch, we have snacks for dinner instead of a real meal. Snacks mean assorted cheeses and meats served on assorted crackers and some fruit (or dried fruit) on the side.

My menu for the week is:
stuffed acorn squash (stuffed with a chicken and grain mixture)
avocado, tomato and mozzarella grilled cheese sandwich (and if we're really hungry I'll add a small bowl of soup or a salad with this)
grilled salmon with salad
buffalo shrimp tacos
southwest chicken corn pudding (probably the "worst" in the eye of the dieter)

And in a couple of hours I'll be doing my weekly grocery trip for everything needed for these meals.

Dagmar~I hear you on the alcohol front. Part of my plan is to abstain from alcohol during the week and have moderate amounts on the weekend. So far it's worked well although I did slide this week and didn't abstain like I should have (but didn't go overboard so no weight gain). I really think my weight gain is due to all the stupid calories in alcohol because I really do eat quite healthy portions of good foods.

traveling michele
02-22-2014, 10:29 PM
Dagmar...good luck with the no alcohol! You can join us into the streak free zone. I've lost track on my days without grapes but I think it's been four weeks.

I did well with my food today. I had my Scentsy party today and no one ate any snacks! Glad I didn't really make anything. When they left, I put everything away without eating anything : goldfish, cookies, nuts, m and m's! I'll save everything for dh and if he doesn't want it, I'll put it in the break room at school.

Mudpie
02-23-2014, 06:38 AM
Michele Great job with the snax! What is a "Scentsy party" please? I don't really want to google it as I'm sure 20 ads will follow.

Thanks!

traveling michele
02-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Michele Great job with the snax! What is a "Scentsy party" please? I don't really want to google it as I'm sure 20 ads will follow.

Thanks!

Scentsy is a company that sells decorative wax warmers with amazing scents. It's like having wonderful smelling candles without the flame. You plug them in. I love the products so I signed up to sell them. If you're interested, pm me and I'll send you my website so you can see the products.

alinnell
02-23-2014, 12:18 PM
I had a good day with food apparently as I weighed in a little less this morning!

We're off to see Book of Mormon today. That'll entail several hours in the car, so not much exercise today--just a lot of sitting.

saef
02-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Down a pound & a half this morning, just from taking a break & heading downtown for yesterday, and eating very little while walking around and looking at stuff.

I should learn something from these days when they happen, shouldn't I?

Dagmar: Does anyone else never have a day off - not just from work but from all other things like work - cooking, cleaning, etc.?

If I work late a lot at my job, yet still maintain my exercise schedule, and still commute twice weekly into CT, it crowds out the time during the week when I manage to do the housework stuff, and I find my weekends are more joyless. And yes, I wonder then why I'm working so hard when it gets me so little that I value, like time to breathe and think and absorb something fascinating. Then I wonder am I just a wimp, since we're all pretty much sentenced to lives of hard labor -- and there are people who do much nastier jobs than I do, and are paid much less for them. But look, I chose my life and the way I make my living. (That doesn't mean I am completely satisfied with it, though.)

JayEll
02-23-2014, 04:57 PM
since we're all pretty much sentenced to lives of hard labor
I am so sorry you see it that way.

(Who handed down that sentence, by the way--and for what crime?)

Mudpie
02-23-2014, 05:01 PM
I am so sorry you see it that way.

(Who handed down that sentence, by the way--and for what crime?)

I whine a bit about not getting a day off to read. But sentenced to hard labour?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sulphur+mines+in+south+africa&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&imgil=w3FUuWKBFbXh_M%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252F encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9 GcRBmvDx54EZm5W7awMn7skJarqW17ojMLXoJtH8IjlZRkJsfp OOEA%253B634%253B529%253B3VtYGUvf_LozJM%253Bhttp%2 5253A%25252F%25252Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%25252Fnews% 25252Farticle-2336245%25252FThink-job-stinks-Spare-thought-sulphur-miners-Indonesia-scramble-volcano-search-valuable-mineral.html&source=iu&usg=__gfO2SkuCQ9CE4akI-OATvZIw3Jk%3D&sa=X&ei=HmEKU_yoBob2rAGfp4GoDQ&ved=0CFAQ9QEwBw&biw=1280&bih=677#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=w3FUuWKBFbXh_M%253A%3B3VtYGUvf_LozJM%3Bhttp% 253A%252F%252Fi.dailymail.co.uk%252Fi%252Fpix%252F 2013%252F06%252F05%252Farticle-2336245-1A285141000005DC-911_634x529.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.dailymail .co.uk%252Fnews%252Farticle-2336245%252FThink-job-stinks-Spare-thought-sulphur-miners-Indonesia-scramble-volcano-search-valuable-mineral.html%3B634%3B529

And no saef I'm not taking you literally.

Dagmar

JayEll
02-23-2014, 05:43 PM
I realize that you're using metaphor, saef; however, words are important, and the way people choose to describe things often reflects a certain reality of outlook. You remember the discussion years ago now about "joyless striving."

Mudpie
02-23-2014, 07:45 PM
IMO for most people in North America the life/work balance is very much tilted towards work - at least it is for me and almost everyone I know. And I don't have kids - I can't imagine how much the workload increases with that.

I find I don't really mind doing the every day tasks most of the time. As long as DH does a share - and he does - they are not "hard labour" but they never end. That IS life - a never ending series of tasks, events, etc. Sometimes I just want to "step out" for a couple of hours and do what I like to do, rather than what I need to do.

I am still trying to get to restorative yoga on a Sunday afternoon for 1 1/2 hours. Haven't made it yet - other stuff keeps getting in the way. But I will get there and I will probably enjoy it so much more because I had to really plan and work to get my "step out" time.

That's what makes leisure time so precious to me - I have to really plan for it and I make sure to enjoy every minute of these hard-won hours.

alinnell
02-23-2014, 11:40 PM
Hard labor. Hmmm. I used to think celebrities had easy lives. I mean, they don't work, do they? Now as I understand what it is that they do, they do work and they work hard. I don't think they see it as hard labor. I do see their struggles--I mean how difficult it must be to get jobs time and time again. They don't all have the luxury of having full time jobs. Granted they (often) make tons of money, but they all don't.

I don't see what I do as hard labor. Okay, yeah, I have a housekeeper every other week, but that doesn't mean I don't do work around the house. But I don't really see it as hard labor. I have chores that I do EVERY DAY but I don't see it as hard labor but things that must be done.

Work doesn't always seem like hard labor either--just the things that tax my brain because accounting doesn't always go the same direction as my brain. I know it's logical, but sometimes it just defies logic. And things that just don't make sense (like my dealing with UPS tomorrow because a shipment we weighed at 130 pounds and thus didn't meet freight rates they now decide is 200 pounds).

And sometimes I think animals are more work than kids. But then thinking back to when the kids were little, perhaps I'm wrong. I'm faced with next weekend attending a day-long concert with family and friends and wondering how to deal with the animals. Today was easy as we were gone less than 8 hours, but next weekend it'll be 12 or more. Kids would have a baby sitter. I don't have an on-call animal sitter.

We went to the Book of Mormon today. OMG we loved it!

neurodoc
02-23-2014, 11:52 PM
Does anyone else never have a day off - not just from work but from all other things like work - cooking, cleaning, etc.? I tend to find I never seem to get an entire day to just enjoy myself, unless I'm away on vacation in another city.

For the first 7-8 months of each new DS's life, that was my reality. Not just the sleep deprivation, but the nursing. Even if I went out for a few hours, I had to pump in advance. And at work, would have to stop, pump, then resume. Which made me have to work longer to finish up, often at night, while the baby was sleeping. Kids, like dogs, don't take a day off of eating and pooping :>) And they LOVE to wake you up at night, especially if you've just gotten back to sleep after the pager goes off for a question from the hospital. As hard as it is with an 8,12, and 15 year olds plus a 50-hour-a-week job, it's a cakewalk compared to being a research doctor when they were babies.

Mudpie
02-24-2014, 06:26 AM
I weighed in at 137.4 lbs. this morning. My small victory last night was ignoring the plate of shortbread cookies DH set on the coffee table. I had a serving of fresh pineapple and 100 cals of greek yogurt instead.

Dagmar :cool:

ICUwishing
02-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Held the line at 153 through the weekend. I haven't been able to do that in a long time.

I finally have a job that I enjoy. I remember the Sunday afternoon depression with prior jobs - not fun! Yes, there's a lot of things that need to be done that never actually "finish" (laundry, food prep, dishes, bunny care, houseplants, bills). I don't fully relax, ever, when I'm at home. I try to plan at least a full day away from home about every quarter so that I'm not sitting there thinking about what I could/should be doing. I am getting a lot better at not flipping out when the schedule changes at the last minute, and I am also getting very good as saying, "Nope, can't do it."

Mudpie
02-25-2014, 10:42 AM
DH is in class tonite. I just bought 2 blouses online that will look best with "sorta skinny" jeans so that provides a lot of incentive to not overeat or drink beer tonite or any night. I think the worst of the stress re DH's job is now over (for me) and I can again concentrate on getting life back in order a bit more.

Dagmar :yoga:

silverbirch
02-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Streaking along at 56. Busy day here and I'm tired. Off to bed now (just after 9pm).

Just for information, we in the UK sometimes remark how working conditions in the US appear quite shocking to us.

bargoo
02-25-2014, 06:10 PM
Streaking along at 56. Busy day here and I'm tired. Off to bed now (just after 9pm).

Just for information, we in the UK sometimes remark how working conditions in the US appear quite shocking to us.

In what way ?

silverbirch
02-26-2014, 08:27 AM
I post this purely as information to contribute to the discussion about working life, not to criticise.

Paid maternity leave (http://tumblr.thefjp.org/post/24016517259/mapping-paid-maternity-leave)

Paid annual leave and paid public holidays. Hours worked. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18144319)

JayEll
02-26-2014, 09:29 AM
This, from the second article, is very interesting:

Messenger says the average Briton works 150 fewer hours than an American.

"The difference is really driven by the fact that the US is the only developed country that has no legal or contractual or collective requirement to provide any minimum amount of annual leave," he says.

The UK, in contrast, is subject to the European working time directive, which requires at least four weeks of paid annual leave for every employee.

Mudpie
02-26-2014, 10:39 AM
I have only had paid vacation leave twice (same company 2 years) in my working life (approx 35 years now) and that was for one week the first year and two weeks the second. This was also the only company that gave me any medical or dental benefits.

Now, being self-employed (not by choice) and probably being so for the rest of my life, I get nothing at all. No unemployment insurance, no tax grants, no retirement matching plan, etc. etc. We do get medical aid but that has also become a two-tier system - the wealthy pay and get seen to right away, the rest of us whenever.

It really is "working without a net" for myself and many other Canadians.

silverbirch
02-26-2014, 12:17 PM
This, from the second article, is very interesting:

Quote:
Messenger says the average Briton works 150 fewer hours than an American.

"The difference is really driven by the fact that the US is the only developed country that has no legal or contractual or collective requirement to provide any minimum amount of annual leave," he says.

The UK, in contrast, is subject to the European working time directive, which requires at least four weeks of paid annual leave for every employee.

Yes. There's a lot of political argy-bargy around the European working time directive (opts-outs etc) but the fact remains that it is still a requirement. British men currently work the longest hours in Europe (no time to check but this has been the case for some time) but I don't know whether this is a historical thing or just since the 1980s.

Dagmar, :hug: Please stay warm today.

Mudpie
02-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Birchie I am going to get DH to take a pic of me in my "winter work clothes" and post it here for all of you to :rofl:. I really do look like I belong in Innuvik or somewhere close to. Did not mind wearing the big parka, snowboarding gloves, and 4 layers on the bottom today. The worst will be Friday morning with the poodle - it'll be minus 22 to start and she only has a raincoat. I'm hoping for no wind. :brr: :brr: :brr:

Dagmar :lol:

alinnell
02-27-2014, 11:36 AM
A little whoosh this morning. I'm now .3 away from a 10 pound loss!

JayEll
02-27-2014, 12:00 PM
Great job, alinnell! :cheer:

traveling michele
02-27-2014, 01:19 PM

Awesome!!:carrot:

silverbirch
02-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Streak is 58. That's the butter and peanut butter streak.

The DB is just back from the First World War battlefields, bearing Belgian chocolates. I've just eaten three, to show gratitude, but that has to be that.

Today has felt a bit shaky, food-wise. I think it's because I've run out of cottage cheese which is a staple, as you know. I've run out because of two middle of the night outings related to the school trip which meant I couldn't think straight the next day. So tomorrow I have to go shopping again. And then everything will be all right.

Allison, great work! Hurray!

Mudpie
02-27-2014, 07:47 PM
:woohoo: Allison!!!

bargoo
02-27-2014, 09:14 PM

Fantastic !!!!

saef
02-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Down about one pound from last Friday. That's from no change other than eating fewer nuts as snacks. They've been a protein source for me, but this tells me that I ought to swap in something else instead.

silverbirch
02-28-2014, 12:24 PM
Down about one pound from last Friday. That's from no change other than eating fewer nuts as snacks. They've been a protein source for me, but this tells me that I ought to swap in something else instead.

I did this and am now on semi-industrial quantities of cottage cheese. I'm working my way through different types and sizes. My current favourite is called Holy Cow. It's full fat.

Mudpie
03-01-2014, 06:51 AM
I will have to remember to NOT tell DH when I am down a couple of lbs. or near going under my redline. Last night he bought ice cream and wine for both of us. Friday night, woohoo and all that. I turned down the wine no problem (I need to sleep from now on) but eventually I caved to the ice cream. :(

I did take this as an opportunity to again tell DH that we can indulge, but only a couple of times a week. Preferably once a week until we hit our weight loss goals. His major stressors at work seem to be resolving themselves and now the overeating is a habit linked directly to TV. The habit can be broken.

I think DH's body is now telling him it doesn't like the way it's been mistreated all these years. I know mine is - I woke up at around 1:30 a.m. bathed in cold sweat and shaking. That's from the sugar overload and it's happened before.

Dagmar :strong:

JayEll
03-01-2014, 10:02 AM
I will have to remember to NOT tell DH when I am down a couple of lbs. or near going under my redline.

I'm surprised that you say anything to him about your weight.

I stopped talking about my weight a long time ago--not because I live with a saboteur, as you do, but because no one is really interested except me.

Arctic Mama
03-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Great losses, ladies! That pound off must feel great, Saef.

I'm still here but stuck in a very busy season of life. Fortunately diet is going well and exercise is improving. I'm down about 16 pounds from where I was right after a work-related trip for the Board of Pharmacy and now officially the lightest I've ever been as an adult, in the 155 range. My official weigh in is tomorrow and I'm excited. I'd still like to get off another twenty but losing weight sucks so bad I'm not sure I can stand it that much longer. I maintain well, but losing is obnoxious. Boo.

silverbirch
03-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Streak now 60. Had a good workout this morning in the sitting room. The SO stayed in the kitchen and the DB stayed in his room. So I really concentrated, developed some moves a little and I can certainly feel it now. Also went for a nice stroll for an hour or so at a nearby castle to admire the spring flowers.

Lots of yawning now and needing to go to bed (almost time, over here in GMT land).

:wave: to all.

mars735
03-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Streak now 60. Had a good workout this morning in the sitting room. The SO stayed in the kitchen and the DB stayed in his room. So I really concentrated, developed some moves a little and I can certainly feel it now. Also went for a nice stroll for an hour or so at a nearby castle to admire the spring flowers.

Lots of yawning now and needing to go to bed (almost time, over here in GMT land).

:wave: to all.

Have a well-earned sleep, Silverbirch!

BillBlueEyes
03-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Congrats on that Streak now 60, Silverbirch.

I just got worked over in a workout at the gym. I thought "Weight Training 101" was going to be easy. Wrong!!! We didn't pause for 60 solid minutes except to "shake it out" when our arms were about to burst. I once could do 20 full push-ups - can't now. I've got some work to do.

traveling michele
03-01-2014, 10:56 PM
It was a class at the gym, Bill? I sometimes do body pump at the gym which is weight lifting to music. It is hard! I bet you'll be sore tomorrow.

I'm facing a big food challenge tomorrow. One of our yoga teachers is getting married to another of our teachers, and one of my yoga friends is throwing a bridal shower for her. The bride is French and doesn't have friends or family here. We are all bringing dishes. I'm sure some will be quite good but I'm most worried about the desserts. One of my friends has a side business baking and is making a cake. I've not tried her food before and I think it'd be rude not to try it. My plan is to not go hungry and to have a very small piece of cake. I'm bringing fruit so I can always have that if I'm so inclined.

Mudpie
03-03-2014, 06:29 AM
I am up to just under (and I mean just) 140 lbs. I really don't know how that happened. I had one night of indulgence Friday and have been OP Sat. and Sun.

This week is going to be very hard in terms of everything. I have a very difficult dogsit and am spending my birthday exhausted and alone. I imagine I will be over 140 lbs. next week but I really can't do anything much about it except hang on and wait for warmer weather.

The key word for this week is survive.

traveling michele
03-05-2014, 01:43 PM
The saboteurs have returned. Even from a distance they sabotage me! My family sent two deliveries in the past two days. The first day was an edible arrangement which is mostly fruit but had some pineapples dipped in chocolate. Yesterday I took the day off and had my planned splurge lunch followed by dessert. I came home to Shari's berries-- have you ever seen them!? Huge decorated chocolate dipped strawberries. Each one is 170 calories. I ate one. I have 5 more and no one home to help me with them. I wonder how long they'll last?? The scale is now up almost 4 pounds.... sigh.... I was doing so well with the calorie counting.

silverbirch
03-05-2014, 02:22 PM
I've done well with the "no butter or peanut butter" streak. It feels fairly well embedded at 64.

But it's been a funny old fortnight here. I've been on the back foot for at least 10 days, if not more, with lots of tiny things not going quite right. Yesterday, for example, the SO locked me out of the house by leaving a key in the mortice lock which meant time spent sorting that out and not spent on the things I had on my list to do. And those were mostly things to do with catching up so I didn't feel on the back foot.

What's niggling me now is the odd sweet biscuit (cookie) or something else with sugar which I simply wasn't eating before. I'm thinking about going for a streak with that. How would I phrase it though? "Nothing with cane or beet sugar", I think, which would allow fruit. I need to convince myself that this is a good move first and I'm not in that place at the moment - for some reason.

bargoo
03-05-2014, 08:40 PM
The saboteurs have returned. Even from a distance they sabotage me! My family sent two deliveries in the past two days. The first day was an edible arrangement which is mostly fruit but had some pineapples dipped in chocolate. Yesterday I took the day off and had my planned splurge lunch followed by dessert. I came home to Shari's berries-- have you ever seen them!? Huge decorated chocolate dipped strawberries. Each one is 170 calories. I ate one. I have 5 more and no one home to help me with them. I wonder how long they'll last?? The scale is now up almost 4 pounds.... sigh.... I was doing so well with the calorie counting.

The calories for the berries are added into your daily calorie count take the same amount away from something else.

alinnell
03-05-2014, 09:26 PM
I've been hanging in there, no ups no downs. Steady is fine as long as there is another down in the future.

Shannon in ATL
03-06-2014, 01:03 PM
I'm way up, so I've been mostly lurking and feeling bad about myself. I'll work on talking more this week.

Birchie - great job with your streak. Could you add biscuits specifically so as not to feel limited by saying 'stuff with sugar'?

silverbirch
03-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Shannon, I think I have to be more general than just bikkies (thought you'd like that :)) as I've found myself eating all kinds of things here and there. Tonight, after a shouting match with my ex-gymn on the phone* I finished off the scrapings in the bottom of the mango chutney jar. Nice with chicken and chickpea curry but I thought I'd given it up ages ago. See what I meant by

I need to convince myself that this is a good move first and I'm not in that place at the moment - for some reason.

Just do it, I suppose.

I really wish life would slow down again. It seems to be stuck at Very Fast at the moment.

Allison, I'm not going up either but I'd like to go down. Perhaps our bodies have had a terrible shock and are just drawing breath before the next headlong slide.

*Ex-gymn tells me I should have given them a month's notice before stopping the direct debit. I say that the manager should have been in touch with me about my health and safety complaints. Barbells were this close to my bare foot! A skipping rope was this close to my face!! The music was this loud and made my ears hurt!!!

Shannon in ATL
03-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Ooo, Birchie. I do love the word 'bikkies'. :)

silverbirch
03-06-2014, 04:52 PM
You can see quite easily now how they are related to cookies, can't you? And, therefore, potential trouble.

I've just had a bowl of muesli. I really must get into bed (it's 20.51) to get out of actual trouble.

ETA - if you're in a difficult meeting, just handing round the plate and saying "Bikkie?" or even better "Choccie bikkie?" will defuse the situation amazingly.

saef
03-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Back up over 153. I gained a pound & a half during my week of pain & medication taking. There is one binge that I can clearly recall, with me eating dried apples from Trader Joe's and roasted butternut squash like crazy. (Some binge on chocolate, but look at me ...) The next day, my blood sugar reading yesterday at the doctor's office was 136, which it never is. I need to not take this illness as an excuse to binge.

Mudpie
03-07-2014, 11:02 AM
You can see quite easily now how they are related to cookies, can't you? And, therefore, potential trouble.

I've just had a bowl of muesli. I really must get into bed (it's 20.51) to get out of actual trouble.

ETA - if you're in a difficult meeting, just handing round the plate and saying "Bikkie?" or even better "Choccie bikkie?" will defuse the situation amazingly.

That's a good thing about my job - no one is handing around plates of anything at the beach. Although one very loud and aggressive woman (now dead of cancer) did bring a box of some kind of new donuts once (Krispy Kreme?) and insisted that everyone eat one. I took a bite of mine and it seemed to be composed of fat and sugar and not much else. Couldn't fob it off on the dogs either as the woman was keeping a close eye on me. :barf:

But mostly we don't eat or drink anything down there. On plan or off.

dstalksalot
03-08-2014, 09:34 AM
traveling michele -If you cant eat them before they go bad, Freeze the chocolate strawberries and add them to a smoothie or cut them up for oatmeal....The berries get mushy when thawed, but you can still use them if you can't eat.

traveling michele
03-08-2014, 11:31 AM
traveling michele -If you cant eat them before they go bad, Freeze the chocolate strawberries and add them to a smoothie or cut them up for oatmeal....The berries get mushy when thawed, but you can still use them if you can't eat.

Good ideas!
There are only two left and dh comes home today so I think we will polish them off tonight!

silverbirch
03-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Join me in waving goodbye to 2.5lbs, lost over the past calendar month. In fact, it was lost during the first 10 days and then my weight stabilised. I couldnít understand why this happened. Perhaps my body needed to get used to being at a lower weight? Perhaps I should change food around a bit? And then I realised that the hiatus began around the time the DB went to Belgium and I took him to catch the bus at midnight. A few days later I picked him up about 9.30 in the evening. And when heís at school, I donít get quite enough sleep. Nor can I sleep late at the weekend: I just wake up at 6 am on the dot.

Sleep has always been central to my weight loss efforts. Followed closely by space. And then food. And then exercise. Perhaps those last two go hand-in-hand. It took me a long time to work it all out and I appear to have completely forgotten it for the past few weeks. Anyway, now I know again and Iím turning out the light earlier and keeping my fingers crossed that Iíll see the effect on on the scales.

:wave: dstalksalot! Do call in again. Itís nice to see a new face.

Shannon in ATL
03-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Yay, birchie! Woo!

alinnell
03-08-2014, 03:19 PM
I have found that my body likes to "get used" to a weight before it decides to lose some more, regardless of how hard I try. So instead of trying so hard (and failing to lose and therefore feeling bad about myself), I allow myself to go slack a little. Sometimes I gain a pound (that's where I am now) but eventually I go back to trying and the weight just falls off. Granted it may only be a pound or two but at least I'm not beating myself up about it. Kind of like taking three steps forward and one step back. It may take longer to get there, but I will get there.

Going golfing this afternoon. I hope the wind dies down a little. It's a warm day but the wind is very cool and it can sometimes interfere with the game.

Arctic Mama
03-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Sleep makes a huge difference for me. And like Allison, my body also likes to stick at a new weight for a bit before bouncing onward. And previous set points are the worst kind of stubborn.

I'm still at 153.0, just like last Sunday. But I had a rare cheat last Monday and it's taken this whole week to recover the lost ground. Lesson learned and remembered!

neurodoc
03-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Checking in after a wonderful week at Club Med Turkoise (located in Providenciales, on the Turks & Caicos Islands). It was completely wonderful to be somewhere warm and sunny, and no kids to boot (my parents came to MI to watch our brood while we did the vaca). Wow; I haven't been so relaxed in years. We went scuba diving again for the first time since 2000, something the DH and I loved dearly back in the day, and realized we should do more of it again. We also spent hours digging our toes in the sand, strolling on the beach, and reading novels on lounge chairs. And, oh yes, having delicious low-cal food that led to a 2-pound weight loss in 5 days. Admittedly, that may also have been from the unaccustomed sorts of exercise (I even took flying trapeze lessons, which are apparently a specialty of Club Meds), but I was amazed that every meal featured an assortment of innovative salads, steamed and roasted veggies, and meats that tended to the broiled, stir-fried or grilled. It was easy to stay away from the dessert bar because it was in a separate part of the dining room from everything else. If any of you are looking for a reasonably-priced all-inclusive getaway, this is the one.

alinnell
03-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Andrea~that vacation sounds wonderful!!! WTG on the loss, too!

We went out to dinner with friends last night. Not a memorable meal other than too much garlic (still tasted it when I got up this morning). The food, the lack of sleep for two nights and probably more salt than I needed in that meal made the scale jump up over 2 pounds! I must be diligent to get that off.

traveling michele
03-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Andrea-- your trip does sound amazing!!! And to loose weight on it?! Were you eating a special plan or is all the food (except the dessert area) health conscious? I've never done Club Med. I'd love to hear about the atmosphere, age range of guests, etc.

Mudpie
03-11-2014, 06:54 AM
Got off to a rough start for the week yesterday :(. Sometimes I'm running on adrenaline for a whole week and then just fall over when I get home. I forgot to pack my afternoon snack and had a diet pop and some chips because I was really hungry and had about 10 seconds to pick up something. That set up all sorts of cravings. Now all the junk is gone and I will pack my healthy lunch and snack today. :D

It can only get better from there. DH is at class tonite - he came to bed after midnight so he's going to have a long, long day - so I'm going to catch up on laundry and stuff. Get the stale smoke smell out of everything and get organized for the rest of the week.

My evening snack is going to be 1/2 cup fresh diced pineapple and 1/2 cup low fat vanilla yogurt. Period.

Dagmar :D

alinnell
03-11-2014, 11:33 AM
One of the two garlic pounds is off as of this morning. Did I tell you about the garlic? This restaurant has never been on my "bucket list" for a number of reasons. And going there Sunday night just confirmed that I don't need to return. Granted the wedge salad was really good, but how do you wreck a wedge? We had escargot for an appetizer and then dipped the rolls in the butter and garlic sauce that they came in. I had a chicken entree and the vegetables were apparently cooked in the same garlic sauce as the entree. I don't know what DH had but the next morning he said the garlic about killed him. This place was over priced and not worth it at all.

neurodoc
03-11-2014, 11:49 PM
Michelle, there is no "special meal plan" - just a very wide array of food to choose from, and quite a lot of it is health-conscious (yes, you have to avoid the stuff that's fried or sitting in cream sauce, but there wasn't a whole lot of it). The clientele was a very diverse assortment. A LOT of Canadians, especially French-speakers from Montreal and Quebec, but also a great many Americans from the Northeast/Midwest. Given the crappy winter we've had in this part of North America, it's probably not too surprising that 3/4 of the guests were from the "snow belt." The age range was late 20s to early 70s, with the majority of guests being between 30 and 60. Club Meds encourage interaction (most dining tables are communal; they have umpteen group activities every day; there are dozens of perky young 20-something staff whose jobs are to engage you in activities, chat you up and get you involved), and DH and I joked frequently that it's a resort designed for extroverts. Seriously, you have to like being with other people to really enjoy this place. Since we do, it was perfect. And, oh yes, if you like alcohol it's a huge plus since the booze is included in the price. This was one aspect of the place we didn't take advantage of, since neither of us drinks anything other than wine.

Mudpie
03-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Did as planned last night. Greek low fat yogurt and fruit. I didn't realize that the greek yogurt has way more protein than most other yogurts. Very satisfying.

I'm going to go and buy a small chest freezer this morning. DH and I have been talking about it for months. Now it's time to DO it. He can store his frozen fruit and ice cubes upstairs in the fridge freezer for easy access and I will buy meat, poultry, and fish on sale and store it downstairs in the chest.

Good day all!

traveling michele
03-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the info Andrea. That would NOT be the trip for us. I don't drink AT ALL (though dh does) and we are NOT extroverts. When we go on a cruise, we ask to have a table for two because we do NOT like to be sat with people we don't know. Good to know...

Mudpie
03-14-2014, 06:27 AM
I couldn't figure out why I'm so tired :faint:, now that I'm back from the dogsit. I was hoping I could muster the willpower to not eat in the evenings and start getting back down to under 135 lbs. :goodscale:. I realized the reason yesterday afternoon as I was trudging through the new 6-8 inches of snow that had fallen.

Last Monday we were at the point where walking almost felt like walking on bare ground. Sure there was still ice in a lot of places but there was ground showing through. Now we are wading through snow again, drifted in spots, with a lot of the treacherous ice hidden again. That works the body hard and makes me tired in the evening.

Realistically I probably won't be able to do much except keep going until the snow is gone. Then I can switch to shoes and walk more easily. I AM going to quite severely restrict calories on the weekends I'm not working and no beer until I get under 135 lbs.

Dagmar :tired: of :brr:

saef
03-14-2014, 09:01 AM
I have eaten and exercised my way up to 154.3 pounds.

This morning, I overslept and crashed, as I occasionally do on Fridays. I feel profoundly tired, mentally and spiritually, and not motivated to restrict food, which is obviously what I need to do.

The only bright spot is, I'm continually reading about women doing weight training, I'm about to learn & implement a new Friday routine, and I'm still interested in my forthcoming running class.

I have conflicting impulses and expert voices from all my reading chiming in within my head:

"Ease up on yourself and let your weight go whatever way it will."

"Try a cutting phase so you can see the benefits of all the strength training you've been doing."

What I need apparently is a kind of vow renewal with my eating habits.

alinnell
03-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Still holding steady but at a slightly higher weight than last week. It probably didn't help that DH and I shared a carton of gelato the other night.

Today marks the beginning of houseguests until Tuesday. I'm cooking tonight and Sunday but suggested we go out on Saturday. I'll have to be careful with all my choices.

traveling michele
03-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Saef-- maybe cut out one food that you know is a problem issue for you for a couple of weeks and see if you see a drop. Dare I say NUTS? I haven't had a grape since January and I'm holding steady with my 7 pound drop (also doing calorie counting so not just grapes).

Today and this weekend I will likely see a big gain though. Hopefully not the whole 7 pounds! Setting up the book fair this morning then leaving for Napa this afternoon. Lots of off plan eating planned (is it really off plan if you plan for it?). No exercise to speak of today (except moving books and boxes) and tomorrow. Hopefully will be back in time sunday for yoga. Dd comes Sunday too so I'll have to be extra diligent while she's here. She loves food and has requested steaks for her first meal home.

What I will do is STAY AWAY from my break room today. The staff is having a DESSERT potluck. Oy vey! Also, 5th grade is providing pulled pork sandwiches and all the fixings for lunch. NO THANK YOU!

Shannon in ATL
03-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Saef - a cut phase is pretty hard to do I think, and restricts pretty much all carbs during it I believe? Could you do that right now with the running class coming up?

Mudpie
03-16-2014, 06:43 AM
First Saturday night I can remember when both DH and I stayed completely on plan :cheer2:. No beer, no chips. A small bowl of fresh pineapple for me and a bowl of frozen cherries for DH. He also had a small bowl of whole grain pretzels before the fruit. I figure the pretzels are a lesser evil than the chips :devil: as they only have 3 ingredients - water, WW flour, and salt.

I think we are both going to be a lot healthier :goodscale: if we cut way down on the snacks, measure out our portions, and try to eat foods with less processing. We are already doing well in that respect with the rest of what we eat. It's the TV snacking :sp: that's putting on the weight.

I also managed to get DH out for a walk yesterday. Will try to do so again tonite. Exercise is the biggest obstacle for him as far as consistency goes. He is so used to being sedentary that it's become a habit.

Dagmar :cp:

alinnell
03-16-2014, 03:47 PM
This weekend of birthday celebrating is going okay so far. I have not gained anything (yet) so I guess either I'm making fairly good choices or smaller portions. Two more dinners to go.

neurodoc
03-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Just updated my progress weight to reflect the few pounds I've lost, and then this weekend hit. Fancy meals on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, each with wine, to celebrate my husband's extended family reunion and his dad's 80th birthday. OY. I refuse to get on the scale until this Friday, with no sweets, no seconds, and no more than 1400 calories.

Dagmar, I too am seriously sick of walking around in the ice and snow - not that I do nearly as much of it as you (I have only 1 dog to walk, and a few children to chase around). I've also managed to slip and fall -hard- twice this winter; the bruise from the more recent episode is still on my hip and the outside of my knee. Really ready for this to be over.

BillBlueEyes
03-17-2014, 06:37 AM
I'm psyched to return from two days of meals not from my own kitchen to find that the scale didn't notice. Both lunch and dinner each day offered desserts! Dessert at lunch throws me - it's just not in my thinking. The good news is that they were offered in very small bowls as if just a sweet taste were all that was required.

alinnell
03-17-2014, 10:16 AM
Well, my weekend of eating has finally caught up to me. Slight gain on the scale this morning. And I still have another meal out tonight.

Arctic Mama
03-17-2014, 11:26 AM
Quick check in here, I'm done with my weight loss phase for six weeks and am at a new low of 147.0. Haven't been this low since childhood, it's pretty freaking awesome.

silverbirch
03-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Taryl, well done! What's the plan now?

Allison, try and tough it out.

Dagmar and Andrea, the snow and ice will go. Keep the faith.

Bill, today is green in your part of the world, I imagine. Don't bother with any green snacks.

And me? Not doing very well. I've got temporary sensory impairment: bunged up ear (treating with olive oil for the time being), blocked up nose etc as we go into spring, therefore taste not too good, eyesight - should clean my reading glasses. Touch isn't bad at the moment. I had a Marmite sandwich for lunch with salad which may mean I need vitamin B12.

Arctic Mama
03-17-2014, 05:33 PM
Silver birch, I hope you feel better! I detest it when my ears are plugged or achy, it makes everything worse :(

Plan now is maintaining for six weeks to really lock my weight in at this set point, then around may 14th I plan on losing the last chunk. Hopefully after that it will be lifetime maintenance with no more losing, and conceiving another baby. It's been hard to put that off for weight gone.

ICUwishing
03-19-2014, 09:32 AM
:wave: Executive summary - clothes more or less fit, haven't drowned, wish DS could drive, could eat better, and just trying to make it to April. :) Next weekend is our state swimming championships, and also DS's musical ... when those two things are out of the way, life will get a lot simpler.

Arctic Mama
03-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Nice summary :). I hope you survive your busy week!

traveling michele
03-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Knee deep in my book fair. I don't know why it exhausts me so. My weight spiked after Napa (almost 6 of the 7 pounds I had lost). Now a few days later it is slowly moving downward. Hopefully by the end of book fair it will be back down or almost. Today is my long day-- at work before 7 am and will be here till about 9 pm with only a small break. No exercise today but hopefully standing on my feet all day will burn calories. My hips, legs and feet are aching/hurting.....

Congrats Arctic Mama on your all time low-- that is so cool!!

alinnell
03-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Oh, Michele, standing all day kills my hips as well. I find that if I can lean on a counter or podium from time to time and raise one foot or the other up on a step it helps a lot.

My weight is just up about half a pound from my weekend of excess, so I'll call it a success.

krampus
03-19-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm averaging 121-122. Have been doing a lot more heavy leg work in the weight room. My roommate and my boyfriend have commented that my posterior is growing. Food is OK, I've not been adhering to anything specific, and saying "no" to not much. I bought a jar of coconut oil peanut butter a couple weeks ago that is almost gone now - that really doesn't need to be a regular player.

CherryPie99
03-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Since May, I have been tracking my weight on a close to daily basis on weightchart.com. I like the program but it doesn't do any calculations.

Backing up for a minute, I hit my goal of getting under 120 in July 2012. That day I weighed 119.7.

So yesterday I went through and added up all the numbers (around 250) and averaged them and the mean was 119.77 and the median was 119.0. So that means with all the stressing I do and berating myself I am exactly at where I was when I hit goal.

Putting in the numbers, I see that I would LIKE to be consistently between 115-119 where in REALITY I am consistently 118-122. I am trying to be okay with that - you wouldn't think 3 pounds is worth the stress, right?

silverbirch
03-19-2014, 04:13 PM
Jen, you're right. 3lbs isn't worth the stress. :)

krampus, do you think your posterior is bigger?

Michele and Allison, I'm doing hip exercises all the time at the moment. Well, not all the time but pretty frequently. My latest is stand with knee raised. Keep facing forward. Turn leg outward. Put foot down. Raise knee again and move back to original position. Etc. I quite like this one.

Becky! Good to see you. See you again when your life calms down a bit?

I'm doing very badly. I think it's related to my ear which is, after 11 days of putting in drops of olive oil three times a day, finally starting to clear just a little bit. I don't really want to have it syringed and the medics aren't very keen on doing it any more. It's still hard to hear a lot of the time and tomorrow I've got a telephone call booked to discuss a big contract. We'll see how it goes.

But food is not going well. Exercise is OK and sleep is reasonable though I should get back to turning off the light at 10pm. I'm not going to be cross with myself, though, and will wait it out until my ear clears. Then I'll be back at it again.

Mudpie
03-20-2014, 06:22 AM
It's that time of year - almost but not entirely spring. Getting lighter :sunny: and warmer :beach: but not time to shed the winter gear yet. I "broke" one of my work rules of taking off my parka before April, got chilled, and am now coming down with my annual headcold. DH has work woes so he is about as cuddly and supportive as a grizzly bear. :mad:

I can never remember if it's "starve a cold and feed a fever" but I generally wind up feeding both :p. I have extra dogwalks tonite, tomorrow night, and Max the poodle and I will be spending a lot of time together Sunday.

I will do my best to not lapse into "feeling sorry for myself" eating. I most definitely do NOT want to see 140 lbs. on my scale on Monday.

If I manage to stay OP from now until Monday I will reward myself by taking my Wood Nymphs print in to be matted and framed. Going to go in our bedroom.

http://www.allposters.ca/-sp/Nymphs-Dancing-posters_i10250638_.htm

CalCounter1003
03-20-2014, 07:15 AM
I can never remember if it's "starve a cold and feed a fever" but I generally wind up feeding both

Hahaha this cracked me up. I think most of us can relate. Whenever I have any stomach issues I think I need chocolate. My DH eats PBJ sandwiches when he is sick. I have no idea why but that's what he has to eat when he's sick.

CalCounter1003
03-20-2014, 11:49 PM
So why am I seeing Filet-o-fish ads on the side? I haven't eaten one of those since about 5th grade. I did mention something about eating fish on Fridays for lent.. but that wouldn't be my choice. LOL Now that would be a sacrifice for me.

I dropped down to 146 which is 4 under my goal. I am really just trying to stay around 150 but I can't help but be thrilled that I'm that low. I've been eating around 1700 calories which is 400 more than when I was losing and been slowly increasing it. It's hard to figure out what foods to add. Sure, it'd be fun to add a shake or Snickers bar, but I'm trying to add healthy foods. I'm in such a habit of eating the way I have been since July that I just don't even think about eating extra things. Most nights I realize I forgot to add in enough calories but I don't have anything at home and I don't feel like anything.

I'm not complaining - I'm just so thankful to be where I am right now. I just wish people wouldn't make any more comments. I'd rather just be invisible. One teacher told me "do not lose anymore!" I still wear an 8/10 so it's not like I'm blowing away. No one told me "don't gain anymore!" last year when I gained 22 pounds in a few months! :D

saef
03-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Down over a pound from last Friday, so I'm where I was at when February ended.

I really do know what to do, it's just that sometimes, I get tired of being continually vigilant.

-Eating out of anxiety and nervous energy, when eating is a form of pacing the floor, as the pacing can bring me into the kitchen.
-Turning a snack into a meal. A handful of nuts is okay. The second handful, or standing there with the bag in my hand, fixated, going for the third -- it's like I've put my mind on pause and my hand-to-mouth is working mechanically.
-Getting myself to bed. Getting away from that glowing screen.
-Stopping eating before I'm absolutely stuffed.

But what trumps all of this is when I feel better in general about my life and stress abates. Then all the other good behaviors fall into place.

Arctic Mama
03-21-2014, 06:29 PM
It's amazing how that works, isn't it Saef? I'm the same way - when my head is in the right spot all the other things seem to happen 'magically'. On the other hand when I'm in a slump or depressed/stressed spot, even the most normal things seem extra difficult :(

Great job, Calcounter! It's so nice to be under goal weight and have that cushion!

Dagmar, feel better soon. Being sick stinks :(

Birchie - I'm SO sorry, your ear sounds absolutely miserable.

alinnell
03-22-2014, 11:33 AM
I need to get back on the bandwagon. Things are slipping and my weight is going up as a result. At this point I don't know if I'll make my goal by DD's wedding...

DS is home from college for the week and that makes it a bit more difficult. I want to please him with my dinners, but the really good ones he likes are of the less healthy type. I came up with a menu that is pretty much 50/50 so I'll just be careful on the bad days.

traveling michele
03-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Allison.... I'm sure you look great now but if you really want to get to your goal, picture the photographs that you'll be in for all of eternity. That should help you focus!

I think I survived bookfair. Not entirely sure! I left tons of work to do at school and I'm debating going in tomorrow but I really don't have the time or motivation. I'm hoping I can get in early Monday and knock a chunk out of it.

Dh leaves for China this morning. The missing plane went missing when he was flying back last time, so I'm feeling kinda weird about him going again. He'll be gone almost three weeks but when he returns we will be going on our cruise! I'm hoping to get my weight down a few more pounds and then not gain it all back on the cruise!

Dd leaves tomorrow to go back to college. She wants to drive to Oakland today to go to a restaurant that is famous for Mac and cheese! http://homeroom510.com/menu/
I'm planning on having a salad and maybe Brussels sprouts! We are also planning on shopping and watching Frozen.

silverbirch
03-22-2014, 01:45 PM
I need to get back on the bandwagon. Things are slipping and my weight is going up as a result.

Me too, Allison. Let's get back on the wagon together. Portion control whilst DS is at home? The SO and I are going to plan next week's meals tonight which makes a huge difference to me.

Taryl, thank you for your sympathy! Things have now improved, thank goodness.

(Ear TMI alert: almost 14 days of olive oil, three times a day softened things up. I had a lovely bath last night and put my ears under. That improved matters too. I'm planning another bath tonight. I think that should do it. So no need for medical intervention. Hurray!)

alinnell
03-22-2014, 01:47 PM
silver~if the problem with your ear has loosened up with the oil, try a warm shower and hold your ear under the running water to flush it out. I do that whenever I have a problem and it really helps me.

And yeah, lets get on that bandwagon together!

silverbirch
03-22-2014, 01:56 PM
I'm on! It's nice up here, isn't it? :cool:

neurodoc
03-22-2014, 06:37 PM
I waited until yesterday to weigh in after last weekend's mild debaucherie (as in, I ate half of what everyone else did, but twice as much as I usually do). Up a pound from my low of 130. It is a sad statement on my current mindset that what used to feel intolerable (I would never, ever see 130 on the scale again) is now just the status quo, and I'm grateful not to be even higher.

I'm yet again having trouble with evening eating. It was a good solution to split dinner into 2 parts, and have the carb-y half closer to 9 when I get my munchies, but lately I've been feeling super hungry at 4, so I have a protein bar, and then I want to eat my whole dinner with the family, so by the end of dinner I've had my entire calorie allotment for the day. And then I decide I need almonds and oatmeal and add 400 cals in 10 minutes :>(

Any ideas besides just the obvious (walk out of the kitchen and don't go back)?

silverbirch
03-22-2014, 06:51 PM
Andrea, from what you've described it sounds as though the protein bar isn't working, isn't assuaging your hunger. I don't know what's in it but I hear people say that bars cause trouble.

What are you usually doing at 4? Consultations in your room? Ward round? Meeting elsewhere? Hiking between buildings? I'd go for real food if possible. Perhaps your lunch was a bit skimpy?

That time is my worst too. If things are going well an apple, some cottage cheese and a few nuts (shelled by me) are quite sufficient. And if things are not going well you know the rest.

Mudpie
03-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Andrea, from what you've described it sounds as though the protein bar isn't working, isn't assuaging your hunger. I don't know what's in it but I hear people say that bars cause trouble.

What are you usually doing at 4? Consultations in your room? Ward round? Meeting elsewhere? Hiking between buildings? I'd go for real food if possible. Perhaps your lunch was a bit skimpy?

That time is my worst too. If things are going well an apple, some cottage cheese and a few nuts (shelled by me) are quite sufficient. And if things are not going well you know the rest.

Late afternoon is crash time for me too :faint:. I tried protein bars but either they contain enough sugar to set me off on a binge or they are so unpalatable I'm better off chewing up a bit of cardboard :lol:. Cheese, lower fat but still real cheese, works for me but I have to really watch how I portion it (I have been known to break off a big piece with my hands if I'm really hungry :drool:).

I'm experimenting with toasting a slice of pumpernickel and then spreading a wedge of "Laughing Cow" lite on it.

CalCounter1003
03-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Andrea Ė I get SO hungry when I get home from school. I usually get home around 4 and then DH doesnít get home until 6 or later. Last year when I wasnít dieting (and was gaining) I would have some dessert or something at 4, and then eat dinner when he got home even though I probably wasnít hungry. Then have dessert again at 9 or 10! This school year I have started having either a hot tea or a diet hot chocolate when I get home. Somehow it holds me over until DH gets home. I like the fancy teas like Good Earth or other flavored ones, non-caffeine. The ďdiet hot chocolateĒ is just 25 calories --thatís the only fake sweetener I have. I just realized I could probably start having regular hot chocolate since Iím trying to add in some calories. Also I like Kind bars for my protein bars Ė sugar is low and calories arenít too high.

Silverbirch Ė my family is into ear candling. I know it sounds weird! When I first heard of it about ten years ago I thought my friend was crazy! But then I tried it and now my family all loves it. In fact, my DD left today to go back to school and this morning she said ďplease do the ear candling on meĒ and then my husband wanted it to. If you read about it, there are a lot of warnings, but luckily it has worked great for us.

Michele- your DD sounds like mine Ė she always wants to try restaurants that she hears about that has ďthe bestĒ this or whatever. Last summer I swear she ate her way through London and Europe. This summer, I guess we will be trying all ďthe bestĒ whatever foods throughout CA! I will really have to watch it and walk a lot!

Saef Ė I know just what you mean. It does get exhausting having to be totally consumed with what you are consuming and being obsessed with exercise. Then what really makes me mad is how I allow my mood to be totally dependent upon the scale in the morning. When Iím in control of eating/exercise itís like everything goes right. Iím in the ďjust reached goal stageĒ and still on a high from that. I can tell from reading everything here, that to maintain this loss, Iím going to have to be as obsessed as I was while losing! I canít think about that long term as that would overwhelm me. I just have to think of it as a day at a time.

BillBlueEyes
03-22-2014, 11:07 PM
Protein bars, granola bars are the same to me; they do nothing for my hunger. They're the same as liquid calories.

I've no better suggestions than offered - some item of real food at 4pm. An apple would work for me.

alinnell
03-23-2014, 09:05 PM
I've pretty much given up on protein bars as well. A slice of cheese (although probably lower in protein and higher in calories) stays with me a LOT longer an I enjoy it more.

Mudpie
03-24-2014, 06:43 AM
I'm up over 140 lbs :yikes: this morning. I never thought I'd see that # on my scale again but there it is.

Starting DOWN today. Starting weight is 141.4. Goal weight, by next Monday, is 139.9 or less. :yes:

The horrible head cold is still with me. I'ts still winter. But I have used these excuses long enough. I haven't felt "fat" in a long time. I feel "fat" today.

ICUwishing
03-24-2014, 09:36 AM
One more week of surfing the tsunami of reactive life - I think. There's still the unknown of spousal travel schedule, but a couple of major stressors will be gone by 9pm Sunday night (state swim meet and DS's musicals). April 2 will be the final day of bathroom renovation and we can put that project behind us, and start the installation of the closet system and the organization/sorting mess of moving all our stuff back in there.

I have no idea what my weight is. :shrug: It's sort of like this swim meet - there are a number of events that I've signed up for (400 IM, 200 bk) that I have zero history with. I can't look back and guess how fast I "should" be, because that isn't fair to myself and the reality that I'm not in high school any more. I'm just going to do it, and see where I can go from that point forward. I think I'll take the same approach starting on 3/31 with my composition. That's the needle I'd really like to move. The weight number has lost its power to inspire/depress/interest me.

Sheila53
03-24-2014, 03:57 PM
After maintaining my 100+ weight loss for eight years, I did something I've been thinking (but not doing much) about for several years. I finally lost my "baby" weight. It took me 35 1/2 years, but I now weigh what I weigh before I got pregnant with my first child.

It all started with an 8 week Biggest Loser challenge that my gym had. I was on vacation the first week so was at my redline weight when I started what would be my 7 week challenge. I managed to lose 17.2 lbs. and was 3rd runner up. The guy who won the grand prize of a free gym membership lost 23 lbs. and is still overweight. The 2nd place winner lost 19 lbs. and he still has more to lose. I think I did pretty well for someone in my 60s who didn't have that much to lose. Now I just need to maintain this weight.

alinnell
03-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Wonderful Sheila! Way to go!!!

Mudpie
03-24-2014, 05:40 PM
Sheila :bravo:

Dagmar

silverbirch
03-24-2014, 06:41 PM
That's fantastic, Sheila! Well done!

neurodoc
03-24-2014, 11:49 PM
Sheila, that's amazing - a note of inspiration to this board for sure.
As for me, I have walked out of the kitchen after dinner and locked myself in my bedroom 2 days in a row now. It's HARD - I feel like an addict, with all sorts of rationalizations about why I should be able to have just a cup of oats, how 150 calories is no big deal and that I'll just end up overeating dinner if I deprive myself afterward, but like Silverbirch, I'm going for a "streak." I know that in the long haul, I always eventually cave and start to snack (or binge) in the evenings, but I'm going to see how many nights I can before I resume, and if I can actually move the scale needle below 130 before I resume.

BTW, to those who commented that protein bars didn't quell your hunger (or keep it away), any thoughts on high protein (15-20 gm) snacks that work for you but don't need refrigeration? I alternate protein bars with beef jerky (and, for the record, neither is more effective than the other at making me eat less for dinner).

Andrea

BillBlueEyes
03-25-2014, 06:04 AM
Congrats, Sheila - particularly for the thought of "baby weight" some 35 1/2 years later.

Wish you well, Andrea, finding the right snack. Humus dipped with red bell pepper strips works to satisfy my hunger, but it doesn't come close to your desire for 15-20 grams of protein. Only my protein shake has that much and it falls into that category of liquid calories that have no effect on my hunger.

Mudpie
03-25-2014, 06:32 AM
Sheila, that's amazing - a note of inspiration to this board for sure.
As for me, I have walked out of the kitchen after dinner and locked myself in my bedroom 2 days in a row now. It's HARD - I feel like an addict, with all sorts of rationalizations about why I should be able to have just a cup of oats, how 150 calories is no big deal and that I'll just end up overeating dinner if I deprive myself afterward, but like Silverbirch, I'm going for a "streak." I know that in the long haul, I always eventually cave and start to snack (or binge) in the evenings, but I'm going to see how many nights I can before I resume, and if I can actually move the scale needle below 130 before I resume.

BTW, to those who commented that protein bars didn't quell your hunger (or keep it away), any thoughts on high protein (15-20 gm) snacks that work for you but don't need refrigeration? I alternate protein bars with beef jerky (and, for the record, neither is more effective than the other at making me eat less for dinner).

Andrea

Andrea, do you also have a snack before dinner? If not maybe a small greek yogurt - 100 cals - at around 4-5 p.m. would help? And you're not alone in locking yourself in the bedroom - I'm going upstairs after dinner, away from all food things, and closing myself (door doesn't lock) into my office to force myself to do all sorts of neglected things. Then I come down for 1 hour of pre-selected TV and eat my fruit - already portioned right after dinner and left in a bowl on the coffee table. I'm trying to replace random "bad" habits with good ones to develop a healthier evening routine.

Netflix has been a real bonus for us. I'm alternating between watching "Justified" and "Lilyhammer" each night, with an occasional epi of "Wallender" thrown into the mix. Since I've pre-selected things that don't bore me I find I'm engaged with the TV, rather than just killing time which leads to eating. Aside from 2 programs - "Walking Dead" and "Good Wife" - there is not much on cable I find interesting.

Dagmar :flow2:

CalCounter1003
03-25-2014, 06:59 AM
Sheila, congratulations! Very inspirational!!

silverbirch
03-25-2014, 08:24 AM
neurodoc, a while ago you posted your typical day's food but I can't find it now. Do you have very little protein at lunchtime and a lot of veg? Or, put it another way, would more protein at lunchtime help you to get over the 4pm crash?

There's around 6.3g protein in a hard-boiled egg (eat the yolk, obviously). I would say you don't need a fridge. You could always have an insulated bag if your workplace is ridiculously hot.

Re the 4pm crash. Sometimes, yes, I'm hungry but more often I'm tired and I need a rest. Or I'm bored and I need a change of activity. Or I'd like to do something (anything!) other than what I have to do next.

bargoo
03-25-2014, 01:57 PM
After maintaining my 100+ weight loss for eight years, I did something I've been thinking (but not doing much) about for several years. I finally lost my "baby" weight. It took me 35 1/2 years, but I now weigh what I weigh before I got pregnant with my first child.

It all started with an 8 week Biggest Loser challenge that my gym had. I was on vacation the first week so was at my redline weight when I started what would be my 7 week challenge. I managed to lose 17.2 lbs. and was 3rd runner up. The guy who won the grand prize of a free gym membership lost 23 lbs. and is still overweight. The 2nd place winner lost 19 lbs. and he still has more to lose. I think I did pretty well for someone in my 60s who didn't have that much to lose. Now I just need to maintain this weight.

Congratulations !

traveling michele
03-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Congrats Sheila! That's awesome! I often joke that it took me 17 years to lose my baby fat so I guess I was a little quicker than you!

neurodoc
03-25-2014, 10:57 PM
No eating after dinner, day 3.

2nd day in a row that my 4 pm snack is 1/2 of a Kind bar (dark chocolate, nuts and sea salt - 100 cals and 2.5 gm sugar) plus 2/3 c. of sugar snap peapods and a cup of strong coffee. Definitely curbed my dinner consumption though the protein is way lower than I've been aiming for (I do weight training 3 days a week and I'm supposedly aiming for 100 gm protein a day to prevent muscle loss while eating at a calorie deficit). Calling it a win anyway.

Dagmar, I have only 1 snack between lunch and dinner, at around 4 pm, often this is an hour-ish before I go to the gym. A 100 cal Greek yogurt seems to do absolutely nothing to make me feel full - too much like Bill's "liquid calories" concept. Perhaps if I paired it with a 1/2 c. of cut-up veggies it would work.

Silverbirch, my office is not overly hot, and there is even a mini-fridge in an adjacent room, but I don't typically have ANY time between patients for food preparation. I eat as I type information into the computer about my assessment and plan for a patient. The idea of getting a break just because I'm mentally fatigued is laughable; I get 30 minutes per patient and the appointments are back-to-back from 8 am until 5 pm, though I typically run about 30 minutes behind schedule by the end of the day, so i'm not done until 5:30.

Mudpie
03-26-2014, 06:44 AM
Andrea I have an afternoon snack of a hard boiled egg and 10 baby carrots. I eat this while driving from dropping off one dog group to picking up the last one of the day. The trick, for me, is to boil the eggs on the weekend and then take one along, in a sealed lunch container along with the carrots (the container has compartments). I shell the egg in the morning and then pack it along with my sandwich, drinks, etc.

My car, as you can imagine, is full of sand and hair and all sorts of other stuff, so I've developed the habit of eating the egg in one bite. Water helps wash it down. It's weird to have to eat like this but that's what I've got to do so I do it.

Maybe you could figure out a similar way to eat an egg at your desk? Maybe cut it into quarters?

neurodoc
03-26-2014, 11:24 PM
No eating after dinner, day 4. This is SO hard. I can't believe how much will power it takes, and how much work my mind does coming up with reasons why I deserve and need and out-and-out OUGHT to go eat stuff at 9 pm. Tonight, instead of locking myself in my room, and drove to the library and dropped off some overdue books, then went to pick up a tube of cold sore medicine at the drug store. Now I'm up here reading 3FC and FB, then I'm going to bed.

Dagmar, that's not a bad idea. If I can remember to boil and shell a few eggs, I think I'l try it, with a few extra veggies thrown in.

Andrea

BillBlueEyes
03-27-2014, 06:06 AM
Remembering that Dagmar suggested that she'd have her DH take pictures in her full winter uniform - layer upon layer upon layer. Can't help but now want that to be a video popping the one-bite hard boiled egg. I predict YouTube viral, LOL.

I'm celebrating a small success fighting my own layer added by over snacking of 'healthy' foods. (Curse you dried fruits!) This morning's scale reading dropped another pound. I've reached a reasonable red-line above my old maintenance weight - the kind I'd expect to have reacted to with immediate fix to out of bounds habits instead of just blasting through like I did this round.

Mudpie
03-27-2014, 06:33 AM
I beginning to think there's a period we all go through, probably quite a few times, depending on our age, where we just can't put in the work required to maintain our goal or lowest maintenance weight. I've seen it not just with myself but with at least 3 other people here. A gain of about 5-10 lbs. for awhile, and then a re-commitment to getting below red line and staying there. Or adjusting upward a bit after the initial maintenance. And then developing new strategies to staying there.

What does everyone think? Is there such a thing as "maintenance fatigue"?

CalCounter1003
03-27-2014, 07:31 AM

I haven't maintained yet so I don't know but I think as far as losing there are just times in your life when it is just very hard to even try to diet. Those times when you are stressed at work, or busy with kids, worried about kids, pets, job, whatever it is... Those things can take all of our energy and it is just very hard to control food. The annoying thing is, at least for me, if I am in control of my food, everything else starts going better because I feel better. But I have watched myself on a gaining spree... And everything seems to fall apart as I eat dessert after dessert. How to get your mind back in the game? No idea! :?: If anyone knows, write a book and you will be rich!

JayEll
03-27-2014, 09:01 AM
I've commented several times in the past about maintenance fatigue. It's real, and it happens. One day you just can't do it any more--the food restriction, calorie counting, whatever--not for more than two weeks, and sometimes less time than that. It's not that you don't want to, it's that you can't sustain the effort now. Part of that is physiological, not just psychological. After long-term restriction, one's body has a drive to eat more.

I believe that I my weight would not be as high as it is now if I hadn't fought it for so long. Other factors contributed, of course--life situations, stress, etc. But restriction, rules, cutoff times, counting, forbidden foods, eating strategies for every life occasion--they don't work for me now. What works (or is working, but very slowly) is stopping eating when satisfied and making sure I get exercise/physical activity.

ICUwishing
03-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Maintenance fatigue? Absolutely. :yes: I'm taking a break from all of it right now - the scale, the food planning, the conversations, the articles ... and just going about everything else with the extra energy and attention that's been freed up. It's been a nice vacation and it's helped me line up some new concepts about what direction to take next.

traveling michele
03-27-2014, 11:15 AM
I beginning to think there's a period we all go through, probably quite a few times, depending on our age, where we just can't put in the work required to maintain our goal or lowest maintenance weight. I've seen it not just with myself but with at least 3 other people here. A gain of about 5-10 lbs. for awhile, and then a re-commitment to getting below red line and staying there. Or adjusting upward a bit after the initial maintenance. And then developing new strategies to staying there.

I agree 100%! Been there, done that. Thankfully I'm recommitted now and back where I want to be, albeit a few pounds higher than where I'd REALLY like to be. I can feel the fatigue starting to set in again as I'm already thinking about what I will eat at a cheat meal after my cruise! It's at a favorite restaurant in Houston that we promised to take dd's to after our cruise. I'm telling myself I need to remain focused on the cruise so I don't gain ten pounds and feel like I shouldn't enjoy this restaurant afterwards-- plus I know my clothes won't fit if I gain too much!!

Scale was back down today, thank goodness. Now to keep focused for a couple more weeks....:carrot:

Mudpie
03-27-2014, 06:25 PM
I'm thinking I won't take too much stock in what the scale says. I weighed 141.4 lbs. on Monday and now I'm 137.4. I did not restrict calories this week, just didn't overeat in the evenings. I think the 141.4 was a kind of "random blip", just as the 137.4 reflects cold meds and possibly dehydration.

I am going to go by the way my pants fit. Right now everything is still pretty tight. So I will continue to eat my small bowls of fruit and yogurt in the evening, drink no alcohol, and see where I am Monday. I will step on the scale but I won't let the # shock me. :yikes:

Dagmar :goodscale: ???

CherryPie99
03-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Geez guys! I feel like we're part of the Borg Collective! Some of you will get that!

I was literally just thinking about this just this week. With all that's been going on I've been thinking that I just can't do this anymore! I can't think about every freaking thing that goes into my mouth anymore. I can't mentally doubt myself every single time I eat a cracker. I'm sick of beating myself up all the time if I take a light day of exercise. I can't do it. Not another day, not another MINUTE!

So clearly I'm just feeling sorry for myself this week, but it does give me some relief that you guys - who have been maintaining longer then me and who I so admire - go through these periods, too.

Jen

alinnell
03-27-2014, 09:28 PM
We are the Borg. You will be assimilated.

And yes, I feel the same way, too. I felt it worse during the fall and kind of got over it for a 10 pound loss in the winter (that 10 pound loss now stands at just 8). I need to get over it! I'm happy my jeans are looser than they have been but I need to fit into more of my golf shorts! And needless to say I need to look good as the mother of the bride.

Speaking of which...DD sent out her invitations. Should I feel snubbed as she didn't send me one? I kind of wanted it for memories and such.

neurodoc
03-27-2014, 10:44 PM
No eating after dinner, day 5. A bit easier today- mind is fairly quiet from "food thoughts."

"Maintenance fatigue" is a great term. Definitely agree that it has both physiological and psychological components. I keep coming back though, to the notion that there are many many people out there who DO manage to stay at a healthy weight for decades through dint of vigilance, so it is possible.

Allison, for heaven's sake, just ask DD for one and quit worrying about it :>)

Shannon in ATL
03-28-2014, 08:59 AM
I'm definitely in maintenance fatigue, and have been staying away from posting lately so as not to assimilate anyone else in with me with my down-ness. Though, looks like I'm not alone in the hive mind, so should have been chatting all along. :)

Allison - ask DD for one, she didn't think about it. I didn't think to send one to my mom the first time around, and she finally politely reminded me she needed one for the cedar chest. I felt really silly for forgetting, but would never have remembered on my own.

alinnell
03-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Well, I did ask her last night. She did send one. Weird that she lives 1 1/2 hours drive from me and they were all mailed Monday and I didn't get it yet, but relatives in Utah and Texas got theirs. I've always said California mail is slow but this is ridiculous.

Yes, Shannon, you need to chat with us! We are all of the same mind.

JayZeeJay
03-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Hi all,

I too have been avoiding posting lately, though still following along when I have a chance. It started to feel like I was over-thinking it way too much, and THAT was the big drain on my mental energy. I made myself switch to counting calories recently. When I hit 1400 I stop and that's it, no more thinking about it, it's done. It has actually worked pretty well, I've lost a few pounds. Still haven't bought a wedding dress though.

saef
03-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Up .5 from last Friday, which I'm not going to worry about.

The goal this week is sleep. I tend to blame the glowing screen, but I used to keep reading in bed too late, an hour or more past when I'd planned to shut the book, so it's the same behavior, just with a different medium.

My lesson from the past week is when I really feel wiped out, so wiped out that even walking to the gym feels like it's about all I can do, then a workout is not going to re-energize me. Most of the time, it does, but this past week, on Wednesday evening, it wasn't mental fatigue from my job, it was physical fatigue, too. I ended up just walking on a treadmill, and was even tempted to hold onto the treadmill, like some of the older ladies at the gym. I would have been better of just resting at home at night, as long as that resting did not mean mindlessly eating everything in sight.

Now I know what the indicator lights for that particular condition look like.

silverbirch
03-28-2014, 02:34 PM
:wave: present.

Had ear irrigated and it's now clear. Please stop shouting! It was *very* blocked, apparently. But I moved seamlessly into having an appalling virus. I have it. The DB has it. Many in his class are off school. The SO said his nose was feeling a bit blocked up and then had a big sneezing fit.

I'll be back when I'm feeling a bit better.

I think maintenance fatigue's OK. It's just the down before the up. Or should that be the other way round? I'm just coasting for a bit and looking the other way.

silverbirch
03-28-2014, 02:43 PM
I've commented several times in the past about maintenance fatigue. It's real, and it happens. One day you just can't do it any more--the food restriction, calorie counting, whatever--not for more than two weeks, and sometimes less time than that. It's not that you don't want to, it's that you can't sustain the effort now. Part of that is physiological, not just psychological. After long-term restriction, one's body has a drive to eat more.

I believe that I my weight would not be as high as it is now if I hadn't fought it for so long. Other factors contributed, of course--life situations, stress, etc. But restriction, rules, cutoff times, counting, forbidden foods, eating strategies for every life occasion--they don't work for me now. What works (or is working, but very slowly) is stopping eating when satisfied and making sure I get exercise/physical activity.

Have been meaning to comment about this. First of all, JayEll, this is a great approach to take and I'm really very pleased that it's working, albeit slowly. It's working and that's what matters.

Secondly, I've been on 3FC for decades now. Most of you know that I research and write and edit and all that for a living. In English and between other languages. And American and Canadian. So I pay attention.

Getting to the point, I've noticed in the last few months, perhaps a year, the increasing use of the word 'restriction' on this site. With regard to food, obviously. Assuming my observation is right, what do you think's been happening? To my ear it sounds so very severe.

Must go. Have to make tea but I've been meaning to raise this for ages.

neurodoc
03-28-2014, 11:02 PM
Sort of no eating after dinner (day 6). No unplanned snacks, but we celebrated Shabbat after dinner tonight, and I had a piece of challah (~150 cals. worth) with a sip of grape juice, and it was on top of the injera bread that I ate as part of dinner, making it more than I had planned.

Silverbirch, are you talking about restriction on the Maintainers forum, or 3FC in general? And, why does the word bother you? It's a more accurate term than "diet" which just means "the food you eat." And BTW, what is it that you research and write about?

Saef, 2 nights ago I was feeling terribly guilty that I hadn't exercised in 2 days, and even though it was after 9 pm, DH talked me into going to the gym. I NEVER work out that late, and I was feeling pretty tired but figured I would get energized once I got there. Wrong. I ended up feeling lightheaded, achy and exhausted after 20 minutes of half-assed weight lifting. I too would have been much better off just resting at home.

Mudpie
03-29-2014, 07:10 AM
I think our bodies know what they want. It's our darn brains that get in the way! :lol: I used to constantly do things from a "should" (my brain) rather than a "want" (my body) perspective and it didn't work. Not that we don't need our brains but they can override our bodies so easily and force us to do things our bodies don't want.

I have avoided my yoga and weights during the time I've had this cold as my energy has been so low I barely make it through my workday. I've been sitting in the living room with a cup of coffee in those 20 minutes in the early morning instead. The first couple of times my brain raced off into all sorts of guilting - called me lazy, told me how I would lose all muscle tone, etc. etc.

By the third day my brain had calmed down and I was able to sit and enjoy watching the light change in the back garden as my cat purred beside me.

I will get back into the routine when I can properly breathe again - sometime next week probably. This has been a necessary and nice break from it all.

Dagmar :D

saef
03-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Restriction for me means a division within myself. Half of me is exerting authority over the other half and preventing it from doing something. The other half that it's admonishing or regulating wants to do the easy thing, to go for the immediate pleasure.

Oh, and I was right not not to worry about that half pound. It went away overnight, as I checked this morning to confirm whether my bodily sensations had been accurate.

Two days of rain in the forecast, maybe four inches. I don't like that. Our flood wall was approved but is still up for contractors' bids.

I will go downtown with my umbrella and try to enjoy a Caryl Churchill play.

silverbirch
03-31-2014, 07:21 AM
ĎRestrictioní, to my ear, sounds severe, negative, possibly punitive and slightly technical. It doesnít sound as though itís related to the whole person or even, perhaps, that itís in the personís overall best interests.

I may hear this because:

∑ American English uses words which are rather formal (and slightly old-fashioned) to the British ear Ė as well as all those wonderful casual and slangy words
∑ I came to 3FC through the Lifting part of the site which has a positive, ďthis is what you Ė yes, you - can doĒ vibe to it (or it certainly did when I used to go there a lot)
∑ Iíve never gone in for calorie counting in a big way so I donít adjust numbers in the way that Ďrestrictioní might imply.

I think the word is in more common usage on the Maintainers boards than it was. Iím not so certain about elsewhere because I donít spend very much time anywhere else apart from the Beck board (and the usage is not in evidence there Ė although Iíve seen it once in the last few days). This apparently common usage may be because:

∑ I wasnít paying attention earlier on and itís actually been around for ages
∑ It may have become a buzz word
∑ There are more people who count things in the Maintainers group
∑ People in the Maintainers group are feeling more negative, punitive and so on
∑ Food is more abundant in peopleís lives than it was (real or apparent) and they have to draw a line against it.

Andrea, thank you for asking about my work. Iím not very good at the elevator speech because I work across different areas. I specialise in, letís call it, artisanal research and writing of the social, political and economic kind. The main focus of large, serious contracts seems to move on every five years or so. It used to be maritime affairs and now itís visual impairment. Iím also working quite hard on rendering Italian political text and Spanish gastronomy text into English (and other languages). And, since Christmas, Iíve also done bits on Canadian and US health and wellness statistics, and foreign libel cases, and vintage.

Phew, I didnít think Iíd been very busy but it does look a lot when written down!

Thanks, everyone who got to the end of all this verbiage. Letís all have a piece of fruit or some vegetables.

JayEll
03-31-2014, 07:52 AM
Restrict:
1: to confine within bounds: restrain
2: to place under restrictions as to use or distribution

Related words: bar, block, hamper, hinder, impede, obstruct; constrict, contract, lessen, narrow, pinch, squeeze, tighten; quell, repress, suppress.

(From Merriam-Webster Online.)

I suppose it can be used in a positive sense, as in the restriction of crime or restriction of smoking in public buildings. But I am just not using it in relation to food these days.

I don't have food restrictions; I have food choices. Last Saturday a snack buffet was offered at a meeting. I chose the fruit over the red velvet cupcakes. Reason: the fruit combo included fresh pineapple. I like fresh pineapple. I have yet to meet a red velvet cake that I thought was worth eating. (Note: I did not "restrict" myself to fruit. I could have had the cupcake if I'd wanted it.)

When I'm eating I check in frequently to see whether I feel satisfied. If the answer is no, not yet, I keep eating. If the answer is yes, I stop. I didn't eat all the fresh pineapple available; I was done after five chunks.

(In contrast, I'm allergic to clams. I don't "restrict" clams--one is as good, or bad, as a dozen--rather, I don't eat clams at all! Same with alcohol. I don't have one drink, or two drinks. I have no drinks. This is a different matter from placing food restrictions on oneself, either of types or calorie amounts.)

As much as possible, I don't go to war with myself.

Mudpie
03-31-2014, 07:55 AM
Birchie Sounds like you have a really broad knowledge and can write about a great many things. In how many languages are you able to write/translate (if I may be nosy)?

I reached my last week's stated goal (being under 139 by today) and then some. I'm going to be under my "summer" red line by next Monday - 135 lbs.

Notice I'm no longer "hoping" or "wishing" that the weight loss will happen. I am making it happen right now by changing back to healthier habits. Period.

Dagmar :goodscale:

ICUwishing
03-31-2014, 09:24 AM
Count me in with the group that finds the word "restriction" vaguely repulsive (using that word in the context of "makes me inclined to go the other way"). :lol: I thought JayEll's "I don't go to war with myself" said it quite well - it reminds me of a time not long ago that I used to really talk smack to myself. Maintenance hasn't been about control or restriction for me - it has been about making *better* choices, mostly about food quantity, more consistently.

There's a whole big world out there to enjoy, and being healthier and more fit is my game plan for maximizing what I can experience in whatever time left I have (hopefully, plenty). I've been a much happier person since I started taking the long view of thinking that I have 50 more years to optimize myself.

Report from the state meet: I came away with top 3 finishes in all 6 of the events I swam (1 gold, 4 silver, 1 bronze), and best of all - and still a bit mind-blowing to me - I made a national cut time for the first time in my life (50 backstroke = 34.40), plus it appears that I have also qualified in multiple events for FINA Worlds in Montreal this summer. :woohoo: I am outliving my competition! :lol3:

JayEll
03-31-2014, 10:28 AM
ICU, how cool are you!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: Congratulations!! :cheer3:

Mudpie
03-31-2014, 11:09 AM
:woohoo: Becky :woohoo: :swim:

Dagmar :cheer2:

traveling michele
03-31-2014, 11:23 AM
That is absolutely incredible Becky! How exciting! For some reason, I thought you were more swimming for fun/exercise-- I didn't know you were so fast! Wow!!

ICUwishing
03-31-2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks! :) I was happy to win a lot of points for my team. I didn't have a lot mentally invested in the times because I was swimming a bunch of new events that I've never done before (400 IM, 200 back) and I sure don't yet have a good endurance base. Plenty of room to keep improving! All in all, a very positive weekend that makes me want to go back to practice! :lol:

JayZeeJay
03-31-2014, 12:02 PM
Wow, that is fantastic!! And you accomplished all that without a "good endurance base" - well, they'd better look out when you get even better!

silverbirch
03-31-2014, 12:03 PM
Becky, you are brilliant! (And you had a year off, didn't you? Interesting ...)

Everyone, Becky went to Atlanta a few years ago for some extraordinary swimming event and did brilliantly there. She has form for swimming fast and well.

I've looked at the FINA website and there are two blokes with excellent swimming caps + ear protectors or something. Just a fantastic piece of headgear.

bargoo
03-31-2014, 01:18 PM
Count me in with the group that finds the word "restriction" vaguely repulsive (using that word in the context of "makes me inclined to go the other way"). :lol: I thought JayEll's "I don't go to war with myself" said it quite well - it reminds me of a time not long ago that I used to really talk smack to myself. Maintenance hasn't been about control or restriction for me - it has been about making *better* choices, mostly about food quantity, more consistently.

There's a whole big world out there to enjoy, and being healthier and more fit is my game plan for maximizing what I can experience in whatever time left I have (hopefully, plenty). I've been a much happier person since I started taking the long view of thinking that I have 50 more years to optimize myself.

Report from the state meet: I came away with top 3 finishes in all 6 of the events I swam (1 gold, 4 silver, 1 bronze), and best of all - and still a bit mind-blowing to me - I made a national cut time for the first time in my life (50 backstroke = 34.40), plus it appears that I have also qualified in multiple events for FINA Worlds in Montreal this summer. :woohoo: I am outliving my competition! :lol3:

Congratulations !

alinnell
03-31-2014, 01:32 PM
Very nice accomplishment, Becky! WTG!!

CherryPie99
03-31-2014, 02:45 PM
I am in AWE!!!! You totally ROCK sister!!!

krampus
03-31-2014, 04:19 PM
Congratulations on your placement! As someone who can barely swim and gets winded after three laps in the pool, I salute you!

BillBlueEyes
03-31-2014, 05:19 PM
Honking Congratulations for that performance, Becky.

neurodoc
03-31-2014, 09:08 PM
Becky, you are amazing. How cool to know you through this forum.

JayEll, I really really admire your choice vs. restrict mentality. That is exactly the mental place I would like to get to with my eating. I am CHOOSING to finish eating at the close of dinner because I prefer not to feel overfull, prefer to do other things than keep eating and prefer staying slim to gaining fat. There are moments when I really believe it, and many many hours when I don't. But I keep working at it.

And for the record, this is day 9 without eating after dinner (assuming I stay out of the pantry for the rest of the evening tonight). I am supposed to weigh in tomorrow morning but the fear of disappointment is great.

saef
03-31-2014, 10:33 PM
BECKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Balancing the mental with the physical.

Damn, girl.

ICUwishing
04-01-2014, 09:25 AM
Aw, you guys. :thanks: ALL of you need to share in this, because I am inspired on a daily basis by what we accomplish together and in our own ways. The support is unrelenting - y'all make it easy to stretch for the next level!

traveling michele
04-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Andrea-- hope you had a good weigh in and that your restriction paid off??

Shannon in ATL
04-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Becky - rock on, you! You are just awesome! Woo!

I just read the sentence from Jay about not going to war with herself. I think I've been at war with myself for a long time, and I've been losing all around lately. I'm pretty much in a freefall food wise, though my exercise is still pretty alright. I'm judging and critical of myself, something capped off last night by a pretty horrific pic that popped up on FB that I haven't been able to go back and look at again. And I don't care. I continue to eat too large a quantity and with too much sugar and grease. None of my clothes fit right and I feel terrible. And I'm not stopping for anything or anybody. At this moment I'm planning out how I can put my healthy dinner in the fridge and eat out tonight. Again. And wondering about buying a larger pair of jeans. I don't know how to snap out of my head anymore.

I also don't like the word restriction, but I despair at finding my footing any other way.

Birchie - you and I were on the weight lifting forum around the same time. I think often of Cheryl and Alena, they were always so positive and uplifting. I've needed them lately.

neurodoc
04-01-2014, 09:39 PM
131.2. Might as well eat at night; apparently I must simply eat the extra calories during the daytime without knowing it. Didn't think I was doing that, but I'm really REALLY good at maintaining this extra weight :>(

Oh Shannon, I so feel your pain. Sometimes when I get to feeling like you are now, I find one thing that I CAN exert control over and do it (making it to the gym, eating all my veggie servings or reaching my protein goal for the day) even if it's not diet/exercise related (finishing a paper re-write or cleaning my bedroom), then use that victory to fuel my self-confidence enough to meet another small goal. It can take days, but I can usually bring back some sense of self-control and THEN tackle the harder work of portion control or refusing seconds.

shcirerf
04-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Congrats ICU!

I know I don't post here very often, but I do follow this thread faithfully.

I hear you on the whole diet/maintain/exercise fatigue thing.:devil:

While I've managed to maintain, this winter has been awful. I've struggled every day!:?:

I know what to do, and I know how to do it, but all I really want to do is eat comfort food, greasy food, Cheese! Peanut butter! And forget about obsessing about every single thing I put in my mouth, and did I get to the gym, or get in a walk, or get to work on time, or whatever!

Our kids are grown, and we have 2 tv's and my hub, records on my tv, to save for later, so he can watch something else in the meantime. Drives me nuts!

We've also had a major shift in things at work. My boss brought on a person we did not need! Now, some days, I find myself wandering around looking for something to do. Who knows why he did this?:dizzy::?: On top of that after 6 months, she's awful help. Given her previous education, and employment she should be decent, but turns out, she has NO CLUE! And she won't listen. The vet tech and I have given up, we don't even offer to help her anymore when she gets in a bind. The school of hard knocks, the best educator.

I'm holding on for spring and summer and warm days and my garden! :carrot::D

Thanks for listening!:hug::hug:

Mudpie
04-02-2014, 06:45 AM
I'm holding on for spring and summer and warm days and my garden! :carrot::D

Thanks for listening!:hug::hug:

shcirerf :hug: Yeah, I'm there. This past winter has kicked the s*^t out of me and I'm so exhausted that planning meals or even just producing a simple dinner seems overwhelming these days. Spring IS coming. I can now hear birds singing at about 5:45 every morning and most of the two feet of dirty snow on my front and back lawns has melted.

We all have to hang on :tired: just that little bit longer. :cheer2:

Dagmar (dreaming of :beach:)

saef
04-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Checking in briefly.

Just when I find a little balance in my life, and spend a rainy day watching obscure little documentaries in the Village, or see a Caryl Churchill play at the Minetta Lane Theater ... just when I sign up for and attend two sessions of running coaching with some nice women trying to get back into the swing of things after a hard winter ... and I start thinking about breathing, listening to my body, being kinder to myself ...

WHAM! I get a day of five to six meetings, a laptop migration, having to screen resumes and hire, and two collaborative projects with other depts where the other dept expects me to turn around my piece overnight.

Feels like any attempt on my part to ease up a little results directly in punishment.

I'm just living with the 150s and think it's a triumph that I'm not bingeing. The weight training is also having an effect. Some of my shirts are now tight in the shoulders, a place where I've never experienced tightness in a shirt before. In the past, if my shirts didn't fit, it was because of the perennial bustline gape, or stretching at the bottommost button across the hips, which at least my pants hid if I tucked the shirt inside. Now it's the shoulders or the upper arms. I think I'm also experiencing this because shirts have tighter sleeves & higher armholes & are cut closer to the body -- we're long past the "oversized" or "boxy" look for shirts that I've previously lived through. This silhouette is made for women with undersized or slender upper bodies, not women who are doing upper body days at the gym consistently.

Anyway, feeling like I'm swimming hard against forces beyond me that want to push me in another direction, and barely keeping my head up.

Weight is a concern, but the least of my concerns, or just a metaphor for my concerns.

silverbirch
04-02-2014, 09:12 AM
Today is also an Aaargh Day here.

I saw a Caryl Churchill play years ago, in a v rural location, when I was doing fieldwork. Trying to remember the name of it. I put it in the report, I think, so I should look it up. What did you see, saef?

OK, off across a rainy car park to a meeting in a cold and shabby front room. I'm taking a blanket and a cough sweet.

Shannon in ATL
04-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Andrea - I need to find one thing to focus on right now, I think that would help. Pick one, then add one, etc.

shcirerf - I hate it when a new hire comes in and turns out to be a letdown. Hope it gets better. :(

Saef - I pretty much always feel like any attempt to relax and balance results in a slap to the face from another part of my life. I hope that today gets better for you.

I'm up and awake and moving today. DH is off work, has been all week, and is in vacation mode. I've been working, so am not in that same place. I'm determined to exercise tonight and not let a long work day and the vacation mood in the home throw me astray. I'm so ready for spring - must clean up my garden area this weekend so I am ready to plant when I'm able. My yard is a fountain of dandelion, crabgrass and other winter weeds - hopefully the weed treatment DH applied yesterday will help so I can start to pull some of those out. Maybe sunshine will help my mood.

traveling michele
04-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Shannon,
Do you have any idea WHY you've been struggling? Something in your personal life? I'm just wondering if you can pinpoint anything. Hugs to you regardless.

And to you too Andrea. I was so hoping you'd have a better weigh in. I'm really surprised. I hope the next one is much better!!

alinnell
04-02-2014, 12:23 PM
You know, I was having those same struggles from August through December. January was better and I managed to lose 10 pounds. February and March weren't as bad, but I did gain back 2 of those pounds. While I'm not feeling as though I'm struggling now (at least not as bad as I was) there are days when I just cave. Today seems to be one of those days. However I have a nice dinner planned (small pork chops and fresh artichokes) and lunches are always OP so hopefully the start of my day won't ruin the whole day.

I've been taking Bogey on a short walk each afternoon and today I'm planning a longer one to the dog park since my assistant is in the office today and I feel I can get away for a longer time. While I don't really count this as exercise, it is moving and it should help.

silverbirch
04-02-2014, 04:19 PM
saef, the play was called Fen (1983). I was doing a study of rural childcare and one of the fieldwork areas was the Fens in the east of England. It's an agricultural area and workers have always been poor and exploited. Some of the people I interviewed took me to it. Haunting poverty.

Since I last posted here, saying it was an Aaargh Day or something similar, I've had an increasingly torrid time. One very bad miscarriage in the family, one death I hadn't heard about but knew was coming with funeral tomorrow morning, and one major switch of language (from English to Welsh) by a long-time neighbour which is OK but which requires a fair amount of recalibration by me. Two longish phone calls with my mother. One meal to make and eat. One Italian lesson. And, no doubt, a few other things.

I do best when there is a lot of space between things. There has not been a lot of space, it's all felt rather crowded. And, I suppose, that's why I've eaten a small packet of crackers with butter and a bowl of muesli.

I did very well with my 'no butter and peanut butter' streak. I got a bit embarrassed with how well I was doing and how boring it was to post it every day. Well, blow that. I think I'm going to have to start it again.

Off to look for something to wear tomorrow. Funerals are formal and sombre here. I don't know whether I've got anything suitable and clean.

JayZeeJay
04-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Since I last posted here, saying it was an Aaargh Day or something similar, I've had an increasingly torrid time. One very bad miscarriage in the family, one death I hadn't heard about but knew was coming with funeral tomorrow morning, and one major switch of language (from English to Welsh) by a long-time neighbour which is OK but which requires a fair amount of recalibration by me. Two longish phone calls with my mother. One meal to make and eat. One Italian lesson. And, no doubt, a few other things.

That is a whole lot of "things" with no space in between - I entirely understand what you are saying. When I lose the small gaps in my day that allow me to reset and prepare for the next event, my anxiety noticeably rises. I hope that things improve for you.

Sometimes when I get to feeling like you are now, I find one thing that I CAN exert control over and do it (making it to the gym, eating all my veggie servings or reaching my protein goal for the day) even if it's not diet/exercise related (finishing a paper re-write or cleaning my bedroom), then use that victory to fuel my self-confidence enough to meet another small goal. It can take days, but I can usually bring back some sense of self-control and THEN tackle the harder work of portion control or refusing seconds.

I use this approach a lot, usually in coping with failures at work. If I have done one thing successfully, even something very minor like bathing the cat, I try to harness that momentum in my work day to face the problems that I must force myself to address. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not.

ETA: I didn't mean to suggest that bathing a cat is a minor task - at least not our cat. There is much drama and usually some bloodletting (mine).

Mudpie
04-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Just curious JayZee why do you bathe your cat? Ours are 17 and 16 years old and have never been bathed. They get brushed 3-4 times a week and I occasionally wipe food/kitty litter/ eye gunk off their faces and they are fine.

Dagmar :?:

alinnell
04-02-2014, 06:38 PM
My daughter bathes her cats. One of them, for whatever reason, she says gets really smelly and she has to bathe her. The other one simply likes the water.

I've never attempted to bathe my cats. I'm terrified of trying!

saef
04-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Birchie, of Caryl Churchill's work, I recommend "Top Girls," "Far Away" and now the one I saw this past Saturday, "Love & Information," a series of 57 or so tiny playlets, formatted for the attention deficit, multiple windows open, channel-changing, multitasking era. Since I work in technology, works like this and the recent film "Her" by Spike Jonze are intriguing to me on an additional level.

Okay, I'm off now. Sworn to go to bed at an earlier time, because I think it makes me saner and stronger.

traveling michele
04-03-2014, 11:39 AM
My daughter bathes her cats. One of them, for whatever reason, she says gets really smelly and she has to bathe her. The other one simply likes the water.

I've never attempted to bathe my cats. I'm terrified of trying!

I've always given my cats periodic baths-- once every few months. I tend to get tons of hair off of them and we all have bad allergies so I think it helps. They protest but not too strongly.

My principal just walked into the library. :o:dizzy:

JayZeeJay
04-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Just curious JayZee why do you bathe your cat? Ours are 17 and 16 years old and have never been bathed. They get brushed 3-4 times a week and I occasionally wipe food/kitty litter/ eye gunk off their faces and they are fine.

This is the only cat I've ever bathed, of the many that I've owned. She is an obese older tortie - she was morbidly obese when we got her 2 years ago, but is now another weight loss success story! :) (she had no choice in the matter, we put her on prescription diet food) Anyway, she has a seborrheic skin condition that is worsened by allergies. Her skin folds (left over from the rapid weight loss) in particular get stinky and itchy, and then she sucks on them all night and drives us crazy. Yes, she is a beautiful creature all around!

Shannon in ATL
04-03-2014, 12:49 PM
I've never bathed my cat, but with my allergies and DH's asthma it might not be a bad idea.

Birchie - :hug: to you, that is a lot all at once to deal with.

Michele - I can't put a finger on one clear cause. We had DSS's joint birthday party in March, and as some of you might remember from prior years that is always a stressor. DH has had a recurring back problem for a long time that has been flaring up quite randomly in recent months. I haven't done any yoga in ages, or run as much as I'd like. My knees have been hurting and I've felt old and kind of broken. Worried about DSS and his rising anxiety and bedwetting at his age. Just got elected PTA co-president for next year and am afraid I won't be able to live up to it. Slowly implementing some pretty big changes in our homelife where DH is concerned. Health care renewal at work. Etc. Etc. Lots of things all swinging in at one time, and when I lost control of my base it just continued to spiral under the rest. I had lost down to 136 in November, now I'm back up at 149. Instead of motivating me to change, that is just adding to the 'one more thing' cycle. The stress of everything I guess. The idea that I have to be perfect, and if I can't be perfect with whatever, why do it at all. Like my diet. If I'm not on point, why try to control it at all? I think spring and summer will help. I was seriously considering a light lamp there in January, and may look at one for next year.

They are working on a nice track by the creek across the street from my office. I'm hoping that when it gets finished I can walk a little at lunch every day, or maybe run if I get back up to it.That should help, too.

silverbirch
04-03-2014, 12:52 PM
That is a whole lot of "things" with no space in between - I entirely understand what you are saying. When I lose the small gaps in my day that allow me to reset and prepare for the next event, my anxiety noticeably rises. I hope that things improve for you.

JayZeeJay, I'm so pleased that you understand. I know that some people are able to keep on going, doing different things, at speed. Not me, not at all. I need that space, those small gaps.

I've been to the funeral but didn't go to the reception afterwards. I've had a fairly easy day since. The SO and I planned tonight's tea last night (not as good as planning a full week's menus but better than nothing) and it's in the oven. Last of yesterday's bolognaise sauce with borlotti beans (soaked last night), tin of tomatoes, two cloves of garlic and a handful of parsley, cooking very slowly for hours. Plus leafy greens of some kind (can't remember what we've got) or broccoli. I'll have a little, the others will have a lot - probably with rice or pasta.

I must rumble the brown bin (garden waste) down to the road for collection tomorrow morning. We compost most garden waste but there's a lot around at the moment and the garden's getting rather full with bits of hedge and tree.

traveling michele
04-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Birchie-- I need my down time too. I get it totally. I'm sorry things have hit all at once.

Shannon.... boy... you have had a lot to deal with. I get it. I wish I had the magic answer for you. I hope the spring brings you the clarity and peace you need to get refocused. I also hope your stressors die down!!

silverbirch
04-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Sometimes when I get to feeling like you are now, I find one thing that I CAN exert control over and do it (making it to the gym, eating all my veggie servings or reaching my protein goal for the day) even if it's not diet/exercise related (finishing a paper re-write or cleaning my bedroom), then use that victory to fuel my self-confidence enough to meet another small goal. It can take days, but I can usually bring back some sense of self-control and THEN tackle the harder work of portion control or refusing seconds.

Shannon, we posted at the same time. :hug: re all that stuff. I like Andrea's approach above. I try this kind of thing from time to time, and congratulate myself for being so excellent when I manage to get one thing going in a straight line.

Well done, silverbirch, for remembering to tidy up your shoes every day. Credit where credit is due, silverbirch, for doing a few stretches in bed this morning before you got up. That will soon build up and you'll feel big and strong again.A little bit of yoga is always good. And all those little bits do build up quite nicely until one day you don't feel quite so bad any more. In fact, you feel halfway to OK!

Something else I keep meaning to tell you all. Before this past month of ear and virus, I was walking along one morning and suddenly thought how well my back was working. It seemed to be doing what it should, and in a very relaxed way.* I was beside myself with delight! (It's less good at the moment but I can get to that point again quite quickly now I'm doing MBF again.) I thought that if my back can feel like that, then so can the rest of the bod.

* saef, like I understand chi running to be all about.

:grouphug:

saef
04-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Weight up over a pound. I'm not surprised. This was a hard week of training and I am particularly sore and stiff. In addition to my usual weight training, I've done almost 10 miles of outside running this week, and that's unusual for me.

I didn't get to the gym early this morning, as I usually do on Friday, which leaves me low in spirits -- but I needed time on my laptop for work before instant messaging and emails start popping through.

Shannon in ATL
04-04-2014, 09:35 PM
I did workout when I got home from work, which is good. I don't think I said this in the other chat, but I was pretty dizzy last night from some inner ear ick from my allergies and almost went to the urgent care center, but didn't. I feel better today, but didn't work out this morning just in case. I wanted to be already home and settled before doing it.

Today was our group insurance renewal meeting with the owners and our agent. Not pretty, not one bit.

So I've just been pushed right over my last line. To quote Picard "The line must be drawn here. This far, no further. ..... And I will be the one to make them pay for what they have done." It's game on.

Everyone have a nice night. :)

Mudpie
04-05-2014, 06:33 AM
I did workout when I got home from work, which is good. I don't think I said this in the other chat, but I was pretty dizzy last night from some inner ear ick from my allergies and almost went to the urgent care center, but didn't. I feel better today, but didn't work out this morning just in case. I wanted to be already home and settled before doing it.

Today was our group insurance renewal meeting with the owners and our agent. Not pretty, not one bit.

So I've just been pushed right over my last line. To quote Picard "The line must be drawn here. This far, no further. ..... And I will be the one to make them pay for what they have done." It's game on.

Everyone have a nice night. :)

Are we going to be reading about you in the news Shannon? Just joshing. Hope your allergies are better and you're starting to figure out your game strategy. :hug:

Mudpie
04-05-2014, 06:41 AM
Patting myself on the back - pat, pat, pat. DH thought I was going to a concert last night (I was getting a haircut - his translator's on the blink again :p) so he arrived right before I left with chips, beer, AND candy.

I had a bowl of fresh strawberries (my planned evening snack) when I got home. That was it.

My brain went through a big long dialogue about how it was OK to go off plan for a second :eek: night, how I "deserved" the beer and chips after a long day in the rain, how tired I was, etc. etc. :blah:

I told it to shut up, watched my epi of "Vikings", and went to bed.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRm6peegBa3FvPQk8fbq0IDONBmws5Xp 9mlRxIV8WQpboBnOVlP

Dagmar :cheer:

Shannon in ATL
04-05-2014, 11:09 AM
LOL Dagmar, no, I won't likely turn up in the news. I'm feeling a little more balanced today.

Mudpie
04-05-2014, 12:24 PM
LOL Dagmar, no, I won't likely turn up in the news. I'm feeling a little more balanced today.

Glad to hear it. I'm fortunate in that I can go out on a pier at the lake and holler my head off into the wind when work throws me a curve. Most of you would not do well at the office should you release your stress that way. :p

ICUwishing
04-08-2014, 09:15 AM
Dagmar, I've screamed my way home from work in my car before. It's a great feeling to bellow it all out, unrestrained. Very satisfying.

Shannon, I read about the pollen counts and now I'm even seeing cartoons. My sympathies. Re the XW, I have to believe that the comeuppance when it happens, will be worth taking the high road. Sorry you have to be exposed to the toxicity. Wouldn't it be great if you could throw water on her and she'd just melt? ;) Wishing you a speedy ear-clearing!

silver, I hope your days are moving back to more ritardando. I too like to have a pause between activities. It is good to hear that your back is back!

4000 yard practice last night; first time I've crossed that threshold since starting back up. I had a lane to myself and the workout was heavily backstroke, my fave. It feels really good to be moving through the water properly again. Some of my lumpy spots aren't quite as lumpy as they were, it seems.

Mudpie
04-09-2014, 07:27 AM
I think there will be some screaming on the pier today. I have been spiralling down and down this this winter and the last 4 days have convinced me I have to stop now. Before I lose everything I've worked for - not just in terms of weight loss and maintenance but my job and my home too. I went through this in 1994 and swore it would never happen again.

The difference this time around is that I'm recognizing what's happening very early on and making every effort to stop it.

Happier times are coming.

ICUwishing
04-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Must have been the moon last night, Dagmar. My evening, which should have been full of picking up, getting stuff back to the closet and bathroom, and managing an immense pile of cardboard for the recycle pickup next week ... turned out to be a great dinner, followed by 2 servings of ice cream, 4 sea salt caramels, potato chips, and 4 1/2 hours of Bejeweled. :mad:

Let's get a grip on this fresh new day, and show ourselves some true love and respect instead of resorting to old, negative patterns. Are you with me?

alinnell
04-09-2014, 10:22 AM
I haven't been posting because my weight has been all over the place but I'm finally back on track and close to where I should be. Hoping to start seeing a loss by next week.

The weather here has turned HOT too early in the spring. Yesterday 97 and today should be 98. It makes dog walking a bit uncomfortable. DH and I were going to start walking the dogs after dinner but haven't done so yet due to the heat. And it's only going to get worse. I do still take Bogey out at lunch but it isn't a long walk and it's Misty that really needs to get out, too. Perhaps I'll attempt them both today. If I go at noon, it's not quite as hot (maybe 90).

Mudpie
04-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Must have been the moon last night, Dagmar. My evening, which should have been full of picking up, getting stuff back to the closet and bathroom, and managing an immense pile of cardboard for the recycle pickup next week ... turned out to be a great dinner, followed by 2 servings of ice cream, 4 sea salt caramels, potato chips, and 4 1/2 hours of Bejeweled. :mad:

Let's get a grip on this fresh new day, and show ourselves some true love and respect instead of resorting to old, negative patterns. Are you with me?

I'm there Becky I'm there. :hug:

Dagmar :cheer:

ICUwishing
04-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Dagmar, :high: :goodluck: ! Let that pier have it! ;)

traveling michele
04-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Dagmar and Becky-- I'll be thinking only positive thoughts for you both today!

Allison-- what about morning walks? Too early?

I'm feeling extremely sluggish and sore today. Hoping the coffee resurrects me. I woke up to an email that our interim principal has been officially named principal for next year. I think the reaction to this news will be quite mixed. We have a volunteer tea in the library (of course) after school today so it will be interesting to see what parents think too.

I'm in the midst of packing and trying not to remember anything important for the cruise. I'm concerned about my MIL's mental (and physical) health so I'm glad/worried/panicked that we will see her while in Houston. She apparently called my dd yesterday and told her that they (my FIL and MIL) had been in Louisiana and he had been teaching a class. She said he drove too fast coming home and got a speeding ticket-- she said they left Louisiana at 1:30 pm and got home at 4:30 (literally impossible). I'm not sure what/if any of that story is true. I'm sure they weren't in Louisiana and I'm not sure what kind of class he would have been teaching. My guess is they were somewhere for his work and he got a speeding ticket coming home. Sigh...

Shannon in ATL
04-09-2014, 11:19 AM
How old is your MIL, Michele?

Right there with you guys, Dagmar and Becky.

alinnell
04-09-2014, 11:39 AM
As much as I'd like to do morning walks, my schedule really prevents it. I get up at 4:50 and leave for work at 6:30. Yes, I could get up earlier, but I did this with Chico for a year or so and went running with him in the dark and after a while I decided it was too dark and too scary. While that may seem like a long time to get ready for work I don't like to have to rush in the morning. It stresses me out and makes the rest of my day horrible. This schedule allows me to feed the animals, drink my coffee, get my shower done and read the paper and a little stuff on the internet before the final few minutes to make sure the cats are situated and the dishwasher is running.

Sorry to hear about your MIL. Is she on any medications that might cause this? I didn't call my dad this weekend and now I don't really want to. I've decided that when I call him and he has nothing to say he complains about everything. When he calls me, it is usually because he has something to tell me and the conversation is nice. My sister called him Monday and said he complained about everything and claims my SIL took his hearing aids and two pair of scissors because she wants him to look incompetent so he'll go to assisted living. We know the fact is that he has misplaced these items and refuses to believe he did it. He's done it on so many occasions and when items are found he tells the story once and then forgets about it (we think so he doesn't look foolish). Did I tell you about his gun? He claimed the housekeeper stole it a year or so before my Mom died. I was relieved. No 93 year old man who can barely walk would be able to fend off a burglar with a gun. Anyway, he found it the other day. It had fallen out from under his pillow (yes, he slept with it) and it lodged between the bedframe and the wall. It sat there for YEARS. How he happened upon it I'll never know and don't care to know. I wish it had been stolen.

traveling michele
04-09-2014, 11:49 AM
How old is your MIL, Michele?

Right there with you guys, Dagmar and Becky.

She is 73. Years of alcohol abuse and prescription pain meds (she takes Vicodin like candy), have left her brain addled. Not to mention the possibility of Alzheimers but who can tell? We just know she doesn't make much sense and FIL (75 but still working full time) doesn't want to face reality.

Sorry your dad found his gun, Allison. My mom had one (she was a violent bipolar person and had no business with a gun-- she shot a hole in the stainless steel sink once with a blank bullet!). As soon as she died, we turned the gun into the local police station. I didn't want any part of it.

BillBlueEyes
04-09-2014, 12:39 PM
Sending supportive thoughts for all the stressful situations and CHEERS for yelling into the wind to let it out.

I join you in buckling down for the next duration.

The good news is that I wore a size medium T-shirt to the gym today for the first time in many months - a good sign that progress is happening. I did notice that I had some spare tire flopping up and down with vertical movements, though. I hate weight that accumulates around the middle.

ICUwishing
04-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Michele, thanks for the positive thoughts. I'll send some back your way regarding MIL and remember that her situation could be my future reality - it IS about choices and tending ourselves properly and consistently.

Shannon - :hug: Carpe diem; let's control what we should and let go of the rest!

Allison, anything that starts with 4 sounds way too early a time to get up. I understand about not wanting to call your dad; it must be incredibly hard to have to deal with aging parents. Cripes, I don't even deal well with my own aging! ;)

Bill, congrats on the medium! And oh boy, can I relate to soft spots bouncing up and down. For me, it's feeling my butt bouncing off the top of my legs when I start running after a long layoff ... ack! Remains to be seen whether the swimming was able to keep that at bay all winter. It might be nice enough to go for an outdoor scamper this weekend for the first time of the year.

traveling michele
04-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Whew! I just barely escaped a very difficult food situation! We just had our tea for our parent volunteers. Imagine 100 staff members making amazing home baked goods and then putting it all on your desk! There weren't nearly as many volunteers this year that showed up as normal.... so baked goodies galore. I was sooooooo tempted. When I helped clean up, even more so.... But, my will power stayed intact. Just barely. The thought of my upcoming cruise kept me in check. Now to make it away from school without succumbing to all of the leftovers in the break room...

Allison-- I'm like you about my morning time. I get up at 5 (sometimes a tad earlier as I start waking up). I take care of the animals until about 5:30, eat my breakfast and watch news until 6, get ready for work and pack my lunch and leave shortly after 6:30. I don't like to be rushed in the morning so I much prefer the leisurely pace. I'm just hoping I can sleep in on the cruise as I don't usually have much success doing so. It drives dh crazy.

Speaking of dh-- he comes back tomorrow from China. Just in time to get ready for our cruise! I hope he doesn't come home sick or too jet lagged. I had a student sneeze in my face today-- it was like the cartoon in slow motion-- I was like-- NOOOOOOO......... hopefully he wasn't contagious. That's all I need.

ICUwishing
04-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Yesterday was better than the day before. Today will be better than yesterday. :yes: Success for today will hinge on *not* sitting down in the living room until certain tasks are checked off the list. And pretending that the door to the freezer is covered in spiders (my God, have any of you tried the new Ben and Jerry's Core series??? Don't!).

Mudpie
04-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Becky I didn't even Google the ice cream - we now go for a long walk to and from the ice cream shop once a week to get a cone in summer. We do have a new freezer now but I'm not stocking it with IC - :devil: - that's what mostly led to my 22 lb. menopausal gain in 2006.

Dagmar :cheer2:

Shannon in ATL
04-10-2014, 10:44 AM
Dagmar, I know what that ice cream is, and I've found myself looking for it more than once in the last few weeks and have been unable to find it. I'm going to call that a good thing.

alinnell
04-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Yesterday was better than the day before. Today will be better than yesterday. :yes: Success for today will hinge on *not* sitting down in the living room until certain tasks are checked off the list. And pretending that the door to the freezer is covered in spiders (my God, have any of you tried the new Ben and Jerry's Core series??? Don't!).

Every day is better for me as well although my weight doesn't show it.

Core series? Can't say that sounds good. But Hagen Daaz Gelato in Black Forest Amaretto is to die for. Seriously.

traveling michele
04-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Every day is better for me as well although my weight doesn't show it.

Core series? Can't say that sounds good. But Hagen Daaz Gelato in Black Forest Amaretto is to die for. Seriously.

Maybe it means it is good for your core! :dizzy:
Don't I wish.... I'm staying far away from that whole aisle in the store.

My weight was up almost 2 pounds today from yesterday which really ticks me off. I guess smelling the cookies and brownies caused a gain. Sigh. I leave tomorrow night on the red eye and I'm hoping my weight is as low as possible before I go.

Crossing my fingers that dh's plane gets in on time safely and he is feeling okay.

I was hearing that Princess has a ship with norovirus. I had to google the name of our ship but it isn't my ship. I'm pretty sure we've sailed on the "sick" one before though.

ICUwishing
04-10-2014, 12:03 PM
The Core series is pints of ice cream that have these center cores of naughtiness in the middle of the already-decadent ice creams - things like raspberry jam, Nutella, dark chocolate ganache, or caramel. No, not good for your core at all! ;) My only hope with this stuff is to only open a pint when in the presence of DH and DS - I can take my recommended small serving, and they will fall on the rest of it. Allison ... oh, gosh, :drool: I can ignore all sorts of ice milks and low-fat imposters, but now and then I just have to have the super-premiums. It doesn't take a lot, and I don't do it often (any longer). When I want the REAL thing, I make my own. Last year I was working on cinnamon.

Shannon in ATL
04-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Sigh. I ate a biscuit for breakfast. And it wasn't even very good. I knew better, and stopped and bought it and everything. I don't understand why I keep doing this. Bah.

In good news, my sofa I ordered at the end of December is finally delivering. Or rather, a sofa is delivering. It isn't the one I ordered - after 8 weeks of waiting they said that it would be four more weeks, PROMISE. At the end of the 12 weeks they told me that the company that the sofa was coming from just wasn't making the order. So. They found a different one for me from another vendor at a nice discount, it got picked up last week, is delivering today. I'm very hopeful that I'm going to like replacement sofa, and that it comes today with no problems.

alinnell
04-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Oh, I'd be ticked if I ordered something and it wasn't produced as promised! I do hope the replacement is to your liking, Shannon.

So Bogey did a bad thing today. My assistant comes in every morning and gives the dogs apple slices. They love them. Well, she puts her bag down and goes in to take care of cat chores. I hear a rustling. Bogey has found the sack with her bagel in it. He manages to get half in his mouth and runs off. He didn't get to eat it as I removed it from his mouth, but really Bogey? That was her breakfast! I think she learned a lesson--don't put food down on the floor when there are dogs around! She had it in an insulated reusable grocery bag--along with a bag of popped popcorn. Obvious smells that the dog was alerted to--especially when they know apples are in there, too!

JayZeeJay
04-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi all,

Michele: have a great time on the cruise! Weight be darned, you deserve this vacation so don't let a number take away from your enjoyment.

My renewed commitment to weight loss over the past few months hit a solid wall over the past week. I found myself reaching for carbs and sweets, not even because I wanted them, but because my anger and frustration with my job (and yesterday my fiance) made it feel like a rational thing to do. I've been here before. Gained two pounds over the past week, from my recent low. It sure comes back easily.

I started a new night-time boot camp last week thanks to a Groupon that went out, but I've only been to 3 out of 6 sessions so far. Last night I ditched yet again. Instead I farted around on the interwebs and ate pretzels. On the plus side, I caught up on 3FC action and read the maintainer's chats: CherryPie/Jen - I saw those pictures of the chicks on your dogs and on your CAT! I was laying on the sofa laughing. It was the best part of my day.

Shannon in ATL
04-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Allison - I was way beyond ticked about it. I've recovered, but it took a while. If something is wrong with this one though the ticked will come back with a vengeance.

New sofa should be here any minute. Driver called and said he was 30 minutes away at 10 minutes til 3. Fingers crossed.

Mudpie
04-10-2014, 06:26 PM
Shannon So how is the sofa? Inquiring minds need to know!

Mudpie
04-10-2014, 07:08 PM
The Core series is pints of ice cream that have these center cores of naughtiness in the middle of the already-decadent ice creams - things like raspberry jam, Nutella, dark chocolate ganache, or caramel. No, not good for your core at all! ;) My only hope with this stuff is to only open a pint when in the presence of DH and DS - I can take my recommended small serving, and they will fall on the rest of it. Allison ... oh, gosh, :drool: I can ignore all sorts of ice milks and low-fat imposters, but now and then I just have to have the super-premiums. It doesn't take a lot, and I don't do it often (any longer). When I want the REAL thing, I make my own. Last year I was working on cinnamon.

You made me look :devil: Becky :devil:. Karamel Sutra Core :faint: - probably not available in Canada.

Enough of the ice cream porn. Time to eat my home made curried cod chowder - not as gross as it sounds.

Dagmar :eek:

Shannon in ATL
04-10-2014, 08:40 PM
The new sofa is awesome! Love it. Very pleased. I'll have pictures up soon.

The Karamel Sutra Core has been around for a while, the new ones are peanut butter and jelly, salted caramel and something I can't remember. I've had the Karamel Sutra - it is lovely.

BillBlueEyes
04-10-2014, 09:18 PM
[averting eyes] This appears to be the Ben & Jerry Porn Thread, LOL.

My problem is that the pint looks like a single serving. How else would you deal with properly dividing the core?

ICUwishing
04-11-2014, 09:04 AM
I'll stop now. Really ... I WILL STOP NOW (I mean that in several ways) :) Apparently, I'm not as afraid of spiders as I'd hoped.

DH comes home tonight and I need to have a stupidly productive weekend. I made the mistake of creating a need to do/should do/want to do list. :eek: The need-to-do's require more hours than are available. What's the saying - "life is what happens while you're making other plans." Yep.

silverbirch
04-11-2014, 10:16 AM
I'll stop now. Really ... I WILL STOP NOW (I mean that in several ways) :) Apparently, I'm not as afraid of spiders as I'd hoped.

DH comes home tonight and I need to have a stupidly productive weekend. I made the mistake of creating a need to do/should do/want to do list. :eek: The need-to-do's require more hours than are available. What's the saying - "life is what happens while you're making other plans." Yep.

In my world, all those kinds of things are connected. Too much to do; too much to even make priorities sometimes; not enough time => hacking out time for myself. Hacking out time for myself can sometimes or often => eating food which isn't needed or which isn't good for me.

I weighed myself this morning after not doing so for a month. All that illness etc meant I just didn't do it. Yes, weight up.

I've probably mentioned that when my hair gets to a certain very annoying point my mother will say, "Your hair's looking nice, silverbirch." It's at that point now (two clips to keep it out of my eyes) and it's adding to a rather chubby feeling/look I've got. Add to that, putting on the wrong (too small) workout top this morning and I'm feeling/looking less than gorgeous. And rather middle-aged which is not a good feeling for me. At all. I'd better go and run up a tree like next door's cats. Or mow the lawn or something.

:grouphug: is in order, I think.

saef
04-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Last week, I thought I'd gained weight, and wrote that here, but my just-woken-up brain didn't remember the number that I wrote down -- I was down .3 pound.

This week, though, I am actually up just about a pound.

My weight is just like a sadness that I carry around with me always. Okay, some of it's muscle. Some of it isn't. But why is it that I, who successfully lost 107 pounds, feel so weary when faced with trying to lose 10 lbs, like that is absolutely unattainable?

Anyway I'm going to try to use my vacation to recalibrate and think this thing through. I think it's a long overdue break. My worry is that I've forgotten how to relax and that it will unhinge in some way.

traveling michele
04-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Saef-- I missed what you're doing/ where you're going. I hope it is relaxing and you take good care of yourself.

Jen-- I have a question for you that I keep meaning to ask. I follow your blog and you often ask for comments. How do I comment? Do I reply to the blog or do I have to log in or something?

CherryPie99
04-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Michele - at the bottom you should see something that says "no comments" or "1 comment" - If you click there, you can leave a comment!!