Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat February 17 - February 23

BillBlueEyes
02-17-2014, 06:49 AM
Great start to the week being greeted by the moonbeam on my kitchen floor when I went down to the kitchen to make morning coffee. That means, of course, that there're no clouds and no snow with the promise of a sunny winter day when the sun decides to rise.

It's President's Day in the U.S.. It's weird to explain to rational folks that we group three of our presidents together to celebrate with a holiday. Groupon has added Alexander Hamilton as a president (http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/16/us/groupon-president-hamilton/) - so no reason not to celebrate him today also.

paperclippy
02-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Good morning! LOL about Groupon Bill. I only knew it was a holiday because the school zone lights weren't flashing on my drive in to work this morning.

Saef, your weather on last week's thread sounds crazy! We have a forecast today of "maybe sleet, maybe freezing rain, maybe snow." Needless to say, I took the all-wheel-drive car to work. The guy on the radio said ice accumulation of up to 1/10 inch, or maybe snow accumulation of 1-3 inches, or maybe both.

It's supposed to get up to 60 on Thursday though so maybe some of this snow will finally melt! Usually we get snow, then it warms up and melts, then we get some more, then that melts, etc. This year it's just been piling more snow on top of the snow already there since it doesn't manage to completely melt in between. The snow on the sidewalks is up to my knees, as I discovered when I took Carter for a walk yesterday. We walked mostly in the street, but I let him run around off the leash by the woods to get him some exercise and because I didn't want to trudge through that knee-high snow since I wasn't wearing knee-high boots. Of course he ran around like a maniac and then decided to poop out in the middle of the field, and I had to trudge through the snow anyway to clean up after him! :lol: It's okay because it wasn't super cold and Carter had a lot of fun and got to burn off some energy after being cooped up indoors all week.

We had a pretty good weekend. My mom is here to help out, and even though she can't actually pick up the babies it's really helpful just to have someone around to sit next to them and occupy them when they need attention but we have other stuff that has to get done. C has slept through the night with no interventions required for maybe three nights now. A only needed one intervention last night! On the other hand, even though they don't need as much intervention they will still cry for maybe 20-30 seconds while rolling over, which is enough to wake up me and DH, so we don't get uninterrupted sleep. I wonder if we turned the monitor off how it would go.

Mudpie
02-17-2014, 09:10 AM
It's "Family Day" here today. I'm working but only 2 dogwalks and two cat visits. Dinner will "make" itself in the slow cooker. I'm all caught up on household stuff so will relax this evening and do some reading (if DH will let me). Apparently his boss has now finally decided on a date to finalize the sale of her business.

This Thursday. So poor DH has to go nuts and probably work like a maniac all week to get this done. Going to be a stressful week in some ways but at least we finally have a decision and DH can start to move forward with his own plans.

He's been waiting for this to be finalized since November of 2013. This is the fourth time a date has been announced. We are both really hoping it goes through this time.

Good Monday all!

Dagmar :coolsnow:

alinnell
02-17-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm enjoying the holiday today! We slept in and are going for a late breakfast before a game of golf. Our Saturday golf was a mess. MIL thought she had made a tee time but there was a tournament going on so of course we couldn't golf. Instead we golfed the "back nine" which is a teeny tiny course with the longest par 3 only 89 yards and three holes of about 44 yards. I had a lot of trouble with the short distances and didn't do well at all. And it was 85 degrees and humid due to some strange storm that didn't give us any rain.

As many of you may know the President is here for the weekend and he golfed Sunday at Larry Ellison's place called Porcupine Creek. It's one of two or three private golf courses here. Traffic is all messed up because several roads are closed for his security.

We're gaining great strides with Bogey. He doesn't jump nearly as much and is getting better and getter with the orange cat (Louie). Ringo is still really leery of him. Yesterday after a long walk we bathed both dogs and they stayed outside the rest of the day. Bogey was laying on a rug outside the screen door and Louie was on the inside. It was hilarious--Louie was rubbing Bogey through the screen (I think he liked the smell of the shampoo).

traveling michele
02-17-2014, 03:30 PM
Dagmar... Will dh lose his job with the sale of his company?

Allison... Glad Bogey is doing better.

I had to laugh at my in laws and their dog. They had no business getting a puppy and got a flat coated retriever puppy. They've had a horrible time teaching her manners because they don't follow through and she needs way more exercise than they give her. They decided to drop her off for three weeks of training. After two weeks the trainers called them in for a parent teacher conference! They were told to bring her home. They were basically told they were the problem, not the dog, which we knew. They confuse her by calling her the dead dogs name half the time so she doesn't really know her name! They were advised to have a trainer come to the house to work with them all together, and to give her way more exercise! We recommended a dog walker so hopefully they will do that too. I'm just afraid we are going to get stuck with an ill behaved dog if something happens to them. When my mom died, we got stuck with her nasty Yorkshire terrier... He was mean and nasty and pottied everywhere.

Speaking of dogs, I got my exercise today with my dogs! Something has happened to my back to make it worse and my chiropractor isn't in today. It felt worse yesterday so after bikram yoga today, I tackled operation clean dogs! Took them both to petco for a nail trim. I asked what they would charge to bathe Jozi (100 plus pounds) and they quoted me $40-50! Whoa! Brought them home and bathed Jozi outside and Dewey inside. All clean now but my back is screaming!

My weight is continuing to cooperate thanks to calorie counting. I tried zoodles for the first time (zucchini noodles) and had a huge plate of food for approx 200 calories.

I'm hoping to catch some breaking bad today after I donate blood. Very thankful for the day off today.

alinnell
02-17-2014, 08:42 PM
We went out for a late breakfast today followed by golf but the weather was so warm that we were tired and no one did well. Funny thing, #18 is over water and I'm usually so tired that I hit two into the water and quit. Today I went first and overshot the green (almost went into the water in the back) and everyone else put two in the water and quit. Still in all, a bad round for all of us despite MIL getting two birdies on the front nine.

We opted to come straight home which was a good idea. We got home and saw our front gate open. No one inside. Scared that Bogey had gotten out and DS and his friend (who's car was out front) were chasing him down somewhere. Nope. The boys were out playing with the dogs and DS's friend needed to get home to finish packing (DS drives him to and from UCLA before going down to UCI) and when he opened the back door, Louie--who had been pining to go outside all weekend--escaped. The escape wouldn't have been a problem except Bogey was out there and chased him--right up a tree! DS had gotten out a ladder to get him but was having trouble and we arrived right on time. DH got him down, but on his climb up he really tore up his pads and tore out several nails. Poor kitty. We cleaned him up with hydrogen peroxide and some EMT gel for pets (first aid in a tube!). He is obviously in pain but ate dinner and is walking with his tail high. We'll clean him up again in a bit and put some "socks" on him (cutting off the fingers of my jogging gloves for socks). Poor DS is distraught. He loves this cat and hates to see him hurt.

neurodoc
02-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Michele, congrats on getting back under goal. What calorie count have you been aiming for the last month?

BTW- we have reached the magic 500 limit on the current getting-back-to-maintenance thread without picking a name for the new one. I am not going to foist my pick on everyone but I still like "Maintainers getting back to goal."

Andrea

traveling michele
02-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Michele, congrats on getting back under goal. What calorie count have you been aiming for the last month?

Andrea

Poor Louie kitty!

Andrea... My app tells me to eat 1500 calories a day but I'm trying to stay under that as I estimate some of my portions and would rather err on the safe side. I've been eating approx 1200-1300 most days plus doing daily exercise.

CherryPie99
02-17-2014, 10:42 PM
Poor Louie!! Are your cats indoor only, Allison? All of our cats are indoor, but we have a couple who try to get out whenever they can!!

Maintainers Springing Loose the Lard?

Mudpie
02-18-2014, 06:21 AM

BTW- we have reached the magic 500 limit on the current getting-back-to-maintenance thread without picking a name for the new one. I am not going to foist my pick on everyone but I still like "Maintainers getting back to goal."

Andrea

Some of us have never reached goal so we can't get back there - yet.

Michele I just read ("O" magazine so take with a grain of salt) that adult women should aim for 100 cals per lb. of body weight to maintain a weight. So if I want to stay at 135 I should aim to eat 1350 cals per day.

:rofl: This is why "one size fits all" definitely does NOT!

Dagmar :dizzy:

Mudpie
02-18-2014, 06:28 AM
:brr: 5 more inches of snow have fallen during the night and another 2 are expected to keep swirling and falling this morning. I used to love going to work. Now I dread and fear it in conditions like these. Add the shoulder injury and :yikes:.

I sometimes wish I could take a "snow day" which, in my case, would be totally accurate.

Dagmar :tired:

BillBlueEyes
02-18-2014, 06:48 AM
We're cloudy, cold, but snow free at moment. Snow predicted at 100% - to 5 inches. The snow thrower is ready.

paperclippy
02-18-2014, 08:55 AM
Sleet and freezing rain here yesterday, followed by another inch or so of snow. At least it's supposed to warm up starting today! When I left my house this morning it felt wonderfully warm (a balmy 32F :lol: ) and there was a bird singing in our flowering pear tree.

Allison, I hope Louie recovers quickly from his escapade!

Baby C slept through the night again last night. A almost did -- DH went in to her once, but I think if he had just left her alone she would have settled down in a few more minutes. They didn't nap well the past couple days though since they want to be crawling and standing up as much as possible. We're trying to transition them to a 2-nap schedule but the hardest part is keeping them up for 2 hours in the morning.

saef
02-18-2014, 09:56 AM
It's snowing steadily. Of course it is, what else could it be doing, except icing over? We're going to get about five inches by noon, and then we'll send those clouds along to the Boston area, where they'll leave something lying around for Bill's snowblower.

This is always a work-from-home day for me, so I'm just a spectator, after picking my way home from the gym along the very narrow trail others' snow boots have worn in the bank that represents the sidewalk.

About to drink a cup of coffee & get on my weekly managerial meeting, where talk will turn to replacing the employee who died last week.

I can't wait till work is over and I've seen my therapist at 5:15 PM and can just watch an episode of RuPaul's Drag Race online, as that's about all I can take today of seriousness and duty.

alinnell
02-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Yes, both our cats are indoor cats however they are both allowed outside (backyard only) supervised visits. They like to roll in the sand and hunt lizards. The way Louie was pining to get out should have made me put the dogs in and let the cats out for a while. Louie is doing okay--I'm sure it's painful. He slept with us for a couple of hours last night and he was back in the cat room this morning so he can get around just fine. He's eating, drinking, peeing and pooping. He seems to like the attention I give him so I think he'll be okay. Everyone said to keep an eye on his feet and if there is any discharge or he isn't walking right I should take him in.

I have an appointment for Bogey tomorrow and I'll ask the vet about him, too.

Bogey's obedience class is tonight. I hope he knows his sit stay well enough to do it with all the distractions of the other dogs.

ICUwishing
02-18-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm home today. It snowed overnight (3-4"), and my contractors and inspectors can't negotiate our driveway unless it's clear. So, as soon as it was light enough, I spent almost an hour and a half clearing snow.

Allison, I had to take a bunny to the vet yesterday for nail issues! We were bad bunny owners and let his nails get too long - he ripped one out while sprinting around the living room. That CAN'T feel good. I had the vet tech show us all the nuances and tricks; I think we'll be good from here.

saef
02-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Ya'll are reminding me that I could use a manicure.

And I'm astonished to report that the sun just came out.

paperclippy
02-19-2014, 08:42 AM
Okay, now I feel even worse that Carter's nails are giant monstrosities. Sigh. If only it didn't require two people to do his nails.

CherryPie99
02-19-2014, 09:32 AM
I dremmel both of my dogs nails down once per week. Keeps them pretty short and nice and smooth instead of the sharp edges from cutting.

Feeling pretty good so far this week. My weight has taken happy dive and I am now 2 pounds under my redline. We actually saw some sun and temps into the 30's yesterday. Makes me hope that spring might actually get here!! Sounds like all of us are headed for a much needed warm up.

Jen

ICUwishing
02-19-2014, 10:13 AM
So, yesterday the melting began. And now it is apparent that our roof is leaking around the kitchen skylight. :mad: Can't wait to find out how much this is going to cost in terms of money and aggravation. It's funny how stuff breaks in groups - we've recently had to do significant repairs on 2 of 3 vehicles, DH broke the clips on both of his phone cases, and for some reason it seems like every bulb in the house is burning out together. It's very odd. I have been re-reading an exceptionally fascinating book called "The Divine Matrix" by Gregg Braden, and it addresses these weird groupings. I think I am going to skip ahead and take another look at that chapter. :tired:

alinnell
02-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Second class of dog obedience last night. It started off horribly as ALL the dogs were reactive and barking and not listening. Finally most calmed down. Bogey did very will--got 2nd place in sit-stay, learned down VERY quickly and we were taught how to do loose leash walking. Next week will be the down-stay test as well as demonstrating how well we mastered loose leash walking.

I have yet to dremel Bogey's nails, although I did it for Chico for years. Misty hates to have her feet held so we do a quick snip with clippers for her when we are able.

Becky~my parents, after experiencing roof leaks for two years, installed heat tape on the roof so when it snows they turn it on and the snow melts faster. Apparently the buildup of snow often allows more moisture under roof tiles and that causes a leak which, if there had been no buildup, there would be no leak.

ICUwishing
02-19-2014, 10:42 AM
allison, this is the first winter that I can think of where the snow actually sat on the roof for a month straight! No doubt there had to be a bit of melting/refreezing going on at that window; it probably peeled the flashing right up. Ordinarily, our roof is extremely good at shedding any melt and we are really careful to monitor buildup. I think that because this skylight is now 14 years old and I don't think we've done much in the way of maintenance to the flashing, it's finally come back to bite us. Many of our neighbors that have the flatter roof slopes use the heat tape - it is a wonderful invention!

CherryPie99
02-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Yay for Bogey!! I am going to insult all lab owners here, but I think you'll find the Shepherd in him might learn a little faster and they tend to be a little more eager to please.

We're experiencing melting here, too, and I always hold my breath waiting for something on my 200+ year old house to break loose!

I also am anxious for melting so that I can survey the outdoors and see how much damage there is to the trees from the ice storm we had in Decembe.

I ordered some new baby chicks they'll be in next month - a sure sign of spring!

saef
02-19-2014, 11:24 AM
I logged onto a jubilant or at least cautiously optimistic email this morning: Finally, a year after our initial application, the zoning board has granted approval for my apartment complex to build a flood wall.

Just when I've got flooding on my mind, as the thaw has begun here, too, with loads of snow sliding suddenly off the roof and streams of water across the parking lot, and potential ice dams in the local rivers.

I do so much deferral and denial in my life toward some end that's further off, that a payoff feels me a little bit at a loss: Really? Something finally happened?

traveling michele
02-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Okay, now I feel even worse that Carter's nails are giant monstrosities. Sigh. If only it didn't require two people to do his nails.

Take him to Petco (or the like). I brought my two in on Monday for nail trims. It cost me $15 per dog to dremel them. If I just wanted the trim, it would have been $10 each. I know they are much happier with nails that aren't so long.

silverbirch
02-19-2014, 12:18 PM
I logged onto a jubilant or at least cautiously optimistic email this morning: Finally, a year after our initial application, the zoning board has granted approval for my apartment complex to build a flood wall.

:congrat:Saef, this is wonderful news. I'm so pleased for you all.

ICUwishing
02-19-2014, 12:32 PM
saef, :carrot: to finally getting a wall! I can also appreciate the sentiment of "it really happened?"

Jen, I'm also happy to see the thaw ... but somewhat alarmed about where all this water is going to go. We easily still have 18" of snow on the ground. I am sure, though, that our honeybees will be very happy to have an opportunity to get out and away from the hive, if for only a minute. It's supposed to be in the mid 40's tomorrow, but also raining.

alinnell
02-19-2014, 12:59 PM
We need to figure out a way to get all the snow run-off from you guys out here to the west where we need it so desperately! They built an oil pipeline--why not a water pipeline?

paperclippy
02-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Michele, I would totally shell out $15 to get Carter's nail done but Petco refuses to do his nails because he is too aggressive (fear aggression). He really, really, REALLY hates having his feet touched. We have on occasion taken him to the vet and had him knocked out to get his nails trimmed. Before his back injury we'd been working on desensitizing him and it was going well, but then we lost all the progress we'd made and now we are too busy.

traveling michele
02-20-2014, 12:13 AM
Sorry to hear that Jessica. Many dogs freak out when their feet are touched. Does he have dewclaws? They are the thumbnails. If so, it is very important they don't get too long as they can curl inwards and grow into the paw.

joyofsix
02-20-2014, 07:31 AM
I'm glad to hear the slow wheels of government are turning and you will get your wall Saef.
My lab thinks nail cutting time is play time but a 70lb dog rolling around makes it darn near impossible to trim nails.
We are melting too, which is great, but the ground is saturated and the ditches are full of snow and today, well, I just heard thunder. I need to check our sump pump's battery back up. It's going to be ugly.
I'm going to have to play catch up. Some sort of bronchitis knocked me down. It's looking like I will live now. I haven't stepped near the scale. I haven't worked out in days and I've been eating too many sweets and salty foods because healthy things did not sound good.

saef
02-20-2014, 09:09 AM
Yesterday everything was puddles and streams, and then overnight temperatures plunged, and so of course, this morning, there are glassy rippling stretches of black ice everywhere. The sidewalk leading to the gym was particularly treacherous. I gave up on any appearance of self-sufficiency and held a metal railing to guide myself, then tried to walk in the grainy, filthy snow instead and when forced to walk on unbroken sheets of ice, I shuffled my feet so slowly, I felt I was getting a taste of what it will be like if I am so fortunate as to reach my 70s and 80s. I didn't fall, thank goodness.

Thanks all, on our wall. They're supposed to start construction in March. They gave a date, but I know about construction through my exile while my apartment was rebuilt, and there are four great truths I've learned: 1) it starts later than planned; 2) it ends later than planned; 3) it costs more than planned; and 4) there are moments of sheer despair in between when it looks as though it will NEVER be finished, and you'd be better off never having done it. So I've adjusted my expectations accordingly.

I am nervous about the great melt-off, even though it's given me such a feeling of psychological relief and renewed resilience. You know the winter is getting to everyone when, over a 24-hour period, four of your Northeast-based friends' Facebook status updates all start referencing Jack Nicholson going mad while snowbound in "The Shining." But of course I hate water, and the idea of it building up and brimming over, so I'll be watching for how swampy our grounds become.

bargoo
02-20-2014, 09:15 AM

Just when I've got flooding on my mind, as the thaw has begun here, too, with loads of snow sliding suddenly off the roof and streams of water across the parking lot, and potential ice dams in the local rivers.

I do so much deferral and denial in my life toward some end that's further off, that a payoff feels me a little bit at a loss: Really? Something finally happened?

Good news ! I do feel that a lot of the stress you are experiencing goes back to that terrible experience with the flood. I hope things continue to look up.

ICUwishing
02-20-2014, 09:25 AM
One set of bunny nails is done and the other will be done on Tuesday next week. And then DS and I will take it over. We're only dealing with a total of 7 pounds of rabbits - it is silly for us to not learn how to do this. Alcide appears to have fully recovered; he is back to his top-speed laps around the living room. :D

DS is in "he!! week" leading up to major show choir performances this Friday and Saturday night. They have already had 12 1/2 hours of rehearsal since Monday. Tonight he's testing for his first belt in Hapkido, plus a vocal lesson - and somewhere he needs to squeeze in homework. Oh, and he sings in two church services on Sunday. :p Overscheduled, anyone?

Construction is concluding on the bathroom/closet project - it's been a good experience and I am looking forward to moving back out of the downstairs office temporary bedroom. The only hiccup appears to be one oak door that had to be reordered. So my linen closet will be open for a few weeks; I can cope.

Today is freezing rain transitioning to rain, then tonight the wind advisories go up. Next week's forecast looks like more "polar vortex". What a winter ...

Megan1982
02-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Morning all,

I hate to brag but the weather's been beautiful here and it's really lifted my spirits and made me itchy for springtime. I've been wearing sunblock for my long wogs with the dog. Although once again fog threatened to cancel my field work yesterday morning and I was going to throw up my hands in frustration. I'm glad I didn't. It lifted and we finally got this project that's been delayed by weather done for the quarter, and it turned out to be a beautiful day. I finished my first (of 3) class exams on Sunday morning, but it hasn't been graded yet. Now I'm trying to play the usual catch-up cleaning up the house and work on a class project before I go out of town next week for a few days for work.

Saef, I'm so glad your wall has been approved! I'm sure you're right about the process taking longer than planned but at least now it's moving forward instead of in red tape limbo. I hope when it's done you will feel some relief from flooding anxiety.

Jessica, I can somewhat relate and sympathize. It takes two of us two do Emma's nails as well bc she hates to have her paws touched, but isn't aggressive. I have occasionally hired someone to do it but don't often for $ reasons (I have no idea how they do it - if they do use two staff for her or what). BF holds her in his lap, with her on top, not held down with him on top bc she won't stand for that, and w her face near his talks to her, kisses her etc to try and keep her calm. I clip the nails. We only do 2 paws at once bc she won't stand for more. Then of course treats and praise. I have thought about getting a dremel but keeping her there for 5 minutes is hard enough. Our long wogs on the pavement bike path & beach file down the sharp edges pretty quickly so that doesn't concern me much.

Becky, GL to DS. He sounds very busy! 12 1/2 hours of rehearsal, wow. Sorry to hear about the skylight leaking. Will your current reno crew be able to fix that or do you have to find someone else to do it?

Joy, sorry to hear you've been sick. I'm glad you're on the mend now.

Off to work on a presentation for my meeting next week. Have a great day all!

Mudpie
02-20-2014, 08:00 PM
My former vet showed me an excellent way for 2 people to cut dog nails. Though my dog worked out enough that her nails never got long until she got so old that she couldn't walk any distance any more.

Lay the dog down on its side. One person holds the dog lightly by the shoulders and strokes its chest while the other clips the nails. Most dogs find this very relaxing. My girl, even though she started shaking when she walked into the vets and shedding enough coat that they had to sweep the floor after her, was quite relaxed about the nail clip part.

DH's dad used to clip pet nails while watching TV. He usually did them 2-3 nails at a time and it was a continuous process that never ended (he had 3 cats and one dog). He was really relaxed about it all and so were the pets.

Dagmar :dizzy:

alinnell
02-20-2014, 08:54 PM
My in-laws adopted two polydactyl cats. One has 5 toes on front and 4 on the back so not too far off the norm, but the other has 6 on the front and 5 on the back. And on one of his front feet, there was a toe-less nail. It was really malformed and would constantly grow back into his foot. When he was just less than a year old they had that one surgically removed because it posed a danger of infection. Still in all, I worked with MIL time after time to teach her how to hold the cats and clip their nails. I guess she has no patience because now she sends her husband to the vet with each cat for a nail trim (at $15 per cat!). Ridiculous! My cats, although they don't really like it put up with a once every 3 or 4 week nail trim.

I've yet to try Bogey. I think if I get him when he's tired he'll do fine. But when he's riled up not a chance! Today he was really mellow all day at work and then when the guys started coming back he got all hyper and I ended up bringing him home a little early to wear him out. He's obviously still a puppy.

I'm procrastinating making dinner tonight. I don't feel like turning on the oven and yet that's the best way to roast acorn squash so perhaps we'll have that on Saturday instead.

I'm so looking forward to the weekend! Golf on Saturday and then Sunday we'll drive into LA, meet the kids for an early lunch and then see The Book of Mormon!

paperclippy
02-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Dagmar, that's pretty much the technique we use with Carter. Lay him down on his side, DH sits behind him and pets his head and shoulders while I dremel his nails. He just keeps trying to get up and tugging his paws out of my hands so we end up having to have DH put his hand behind Carter's "elbow" a lot to keep him from pulling his paws in. It's frustrating because it would be so much quicker with the clippers, but Carter has these bizarre monster nails that are extremely thick and extremely brittle, which makes clipping very hard. First the nails are too thick for me to be able to even squeeze the clippers shut to do the clipping, then if I do manage to clip the sides of his nails crack off and it leaves a sharp and jagged result that has to be dremeled anyway. His front feet are even worse than his back feet.

Michele, he does have dew claws but they're not so overgrown that they're at risk of growing into the paw. His nails are a little over an inch long or so right now. As I mentioned before he has brittle nails so his dew claws are cracking off on their own.

We had kind of a disastrous morning this morning. First DH broke a plate, which would have been no big deal except a) DH freaked out about it as he always does with mistakes he makes, and b) the babies are scared of the vacuum cleaner and started wailing as soon as we turned it on. Luckily they calmed down okay once it was off again. Then Carter didn't want to go out so we didn't push him, figuring he didn't actually have to go. Five minutes later he pooped in the house, which he NEVER does. DH who was already on edge from having broken the plate yelled a lot of unrepeatable things. I was about to get in the shower and I ended up running downstairs with a towel on to try to calm down the situation and get Carter to come out from where he was hiding and go outside (because if he had to poo that badly, I knew he had to pee too). Then I had to actually go outside with Carter to get him off the deck. It's warmed up a lot but it's still pretty darn cold to stand outside at 6:30 in the morning wearing only a towel in the middle of winter!

The problem I think is that due to all the snow compounding the past couple months, we have not been able to get out in the yard to clean up Carter's poop (the poop would be covered in snow before we got a chance to go out there). Usually in winter we wait until the snow melts and then clean it all up. Well, since it was so cold this winter, Carter didn't want to go wandering all over the yard in subzero temps, and he kept pooping right at the bottom of the stairs. Now that it's melted, you can see that there's a whole line of poop at the bottom of the stairs. Carter doesn't want to step in his own poop, and he is now scared to go off of the deck because his poop is in the way. Sigh. I had to boot him off the deck and he ends up leaping sideways into the garden bed. It's melted much more today so we are going to go clean it all up this afternoon. It's so silly though -- he knows he's not supposed to poop in the house, and he always reacts very badly when he has pooped in the house by accident (afraid to go in the room he pooped in, slinks around the house guiltily even though we don't yell at him or anything), but yet he's so afraid to jump over a pile of his own poop that he won't go off the deck to poop in the yard. :?:

In any case I am really hoping that the day improves for DH as my mom left yesterday and he's on his own with the girls and dog again, plus he has to take them for an appointment this afternoon to get their hearing checked (standard screening for preemies). I wanted to go along to the appointment but I stupidly scheduled an important meeting at work for the same time.

traveling michele
02-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Oh Jessica. That sounds so rough. I do home the rest of the day goes better. Poor Carter too!

Allison-- your weekend sounds fun! I'm excited about my weekend too. Tonight I'm going to my school auction/dinner. They are usually pretty fun. I won't have dh so maybe I'll buy something! I'm going to be fashionably late as I don't want to miss yoga (though I'll leave a little early). Hopefully I won't get home too late as tomorrow is my scentsy party. Not sure how many will come as I got a lot of maybes and probables so hopefully I'm not sitting by my lonesome.... Sunday-- who knows? Double bikram if my back cooperates, grocery shopping, maybe my nails.....

JayEll
02-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Jessica... the image of the dog needing to urinate, your husband yelling, the babies howling, and you running around in a towel... well, isn't this some kind of Jungian dream?

I have something to add to the pet talk today. I'm in the hospital receiving IV antibiotics because I was bitten by a Chow Chow last Wednesday evening. The dog of a friend--I've been around him before--it was a sudden bite for unknown reasons. I guess I moved wrong or something. Anyway, he bit me on the left forearm, the bite became badly infected very quickly, and here I am.

I think a better way to get time off would be just to schedule a few days at a spa, don't you think?

CherryPie99
02-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Ahhh! JayEll - hope you get the infection cleared up!! I love all breeds of dogs, but have not had positive experiences with Chows! You might want to tell your friend - Chows are prone to a degenerative eye problem and when their vision starts to go they can get bitey.

Jessica - please don't hate me, but as a non-parent, I found your story hysterically funny. I think you need your own reality TV show!!

Jen

BillBlueEyes
02-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Jessica, that's one rough start - hope your DH recovers to meet his full load for the rest of the day.

ICUwishing
02-21-2014, 02:01 PM
JayEll - wishing you a speedy and complete recovery! I hope your friend is taking concrete action to make certain this will not happen again.

silverbirch
02-21-2014, 03:37 PM
JayEll, organise the spa visit as well! Hope things work out smoothly at the hospital.

CalCounter1003
02-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Hello! I just posted an intro in that area and wanted to say hi! Reached goal today!
This seems like a great group! Regarding the dog bite I heard years ago Chows send more kids to e.r. than any other dog but never actually heard of someone being bitten by one. Down here in FL we always hear about Pitt bulls attacking. :(
I've been living on 1200-1500 calories and today I can supposedly have 2100. Wow, that would have been dessert last year at this time, but now I need to figure out where to get it in! On all my past diets when I felt I reached goal I'd go really splurge and gain it all back. Not this time!

Sharon

traveling michele
02-21-2014, 06:38 PM
JayEll-- Oh my! I hope you recover quickly. I agree-- a spa day is in order! When I worked for vets, chows were the scariest breed I saw-- they would bite in a second. Any dog with any purple on it's tongue has some chow in it-- anytime I saw that I was wary too. My bosses would say that pit bulls were dangerous because they were unpredictable-- they might wag their tail and then attack though I never saw it. Chows however-- they didn't even pretend to be nice...

Welcome Sharon! Glad to have you posting and congrats! My number one piece of advice is to NOT eat 2100 calories a day. Increase your calories very slowly and see how you do. Maybe you can increase by 50 or 100 at first, and maybe more, but everyone is different. I've recently started calorie counting after a creep of weight gain (I had originally done weight watchers) and I'm doing pretty well so far.

bargoo
02-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Hello! I just posted an intro in that area and wanted to say hi! Reached goal today!
This seems like a great group! Regarding the dog bite I heard years ago Chows send more kids to e.r. than any other dog but never actually heard of someone being bitten by one. Down here in FL we always hear about Pitt bulls attacking. :(
I've been living on 1200-1500 calories and today I can supposedly have 2100. Wow, that would have been dessert last year at this time, but now I need to figure out where to get it in! On all my past diets when I felt I reached goal I'd go really splurge and gain it all back. Not this time!

Sharon

Congratulations !

CalCounter1003
02-21-2014, 09:59 PM
Michelle - OK, thanks for the advice! I'm glad you said that because I am at about 1500 tonight and I was thinking there is NO WAY I can eat anything more tonight. I'm too tired and not hungry anyway.

saef
02-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Good news ! I do feel that a lot of the stress you are experiencing goes back to that terrible experience with the flood. I hope things continue to look up.

Bargoo, you wrote such a simple, one-sentence post, and yet I've been thinking and thinking about this since reading it. You know what? You are right. It's obvious, isn't it? But not to me, because I've thought that I have been showing the world that I am able to carry on despite adversity. But this is the truth, and there's something post-traumatic about it. It's not just the winter that's made me entrench myself in my home, and feel reluctant to leave it, and let me shrink down my world. It's more like an animal that stays near the entrance of its burrow at all times because of a fear of a great shadow of a hawk flying overhead at any moment.

BillBlueEyes
02-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Remembering to congratulate saef for persistence chasing down permission to build a sea wall. I hope your condo association is now organized enough to get the project underway.

We're having a string of 50 degree F days. I was overdressed yesterday with too many layers out of habit. Despite being too warm, it felt good to get the signal that the worst of winter might be coming to an end.

Mudpie
02-23-2014, 06:43 AM
We're having a string of 50 degree F days. I was overdressed yesterday with too many layers out of habit. Despite being too warm, it felt good to get the signal that the worst of winter might be coming to an end.

Send that up my way will you Bill? I really would like to work in my 3 seasons coat and some SHOES for just one week.

I only bought 2 pairs of boots (I alternate days with footwear) for this winter. In the past that has gotten me fully through the season and sometimes I was able to use them for 2 winters. This year they are already worn out and I really don't want to shell out for new ones and then have to find somewhere to store them.

Dagmar :beach:

JayEll
02-23-2014, 09:35 AM
I'm still in the hospital having IV antibiotics. Really tired of being here. I hope everything improves to where I can go home and take oral antibiotics.

The food in this hospital is really quite good, considering. But I don't have much appetite. I get hungry, but then after eating several bites of what's brought, I'm done. I think this is OK.

silverbirch
02-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Good gracious, JayEll, this is a long stay in hospital. I quite understand you're tired of being there. And I agree it's fine to have a few bites of food and then nothing more. Sending good vibes and hope that you'll be out soon, right as rain.

Mudpie
02-23-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm still in the hospital having IV antibiotics. Really tired of being here. I hope everything improves to where I can go home and take oral antibiotics.

The food in this hospital is really quite good, considering. But I don't have much appetite. I get hungry, but then after eating several bites of what's brought, I'm done. I think this is OK.

Feel better soon Jayell and I hope you get released ASAP.

I think I would quite enjoy being there - for awhile. The only decision I would have to make is what to eat? Yeah, I could do that for a couple of days, particularly if I had reading materials along. :spin:

Dagmar :cool: