Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Share your food inventions/concoctions/recipes

GlamourGirl827
02-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Ok through all my years of ah-hem dieting... I've enjoyed "inventing various recies. Sometimes its just to make said food healthier, other times it to cut calories.

A few days ago I make a Franken-chocolate..It was just one of those times I thought I'll try something and see what happens.

100% unsweetened dark bakers chocolate (dark choc. seems to have a lot of supporting literature that its good for you)

flax seed meal . (all that Omega 3 and good stuff, low in carbs etc.)

and sweetener of choice, I use truvia, but after some reading, I think I'm going to try stevia, seems its a bit different...but the sweetener of your choice will work.

I use A LOT of flax seed meal to choc. ratio, put in on wax paper in freezer for about 20 mins, then store in zip lock in fridge. Its like one of those crackel bars, very good :) anyway totally works when I want some sweets, so this way I at least feel I'm getting something good while eating candy lol...

so over the years, is there anything food wise you've "invented"? :)

PatLib
02-15-2014, 07:52 PM
When I make oatmeal in the morning I put unsweetened coco powder in it with a cut up banana.

I am sure there are recipes for that somewhere but I haven't read them but one morning I was craving a chocolate doughnut and thought I would give it shot. It tasted great, I put the tiniest bit of sugar and use vanilla coconut milk instead of water. I also add ground flax seed.

What I am interested in is savory oatmeal recipes, I have tried a couple from online but didn't think they were that great!

mam1958
02-15-2014, 08:28 PM
I'm new here so don't know if other people have tried this or not but me and my DH love this for breakfast or lunch. It feels like your cheating:

2/3 Plain no-fat Greek yogurt
3/4 c. blueberries (frozen work fine ) we prefer fresh though
1 pkg stevia or other sugarfree sweetener
1 tbsp. French vanilla sugarfree Carnation creamer or 2tbsp if your want more vanilla flavor
1 to 2 tbsp. of walnuts chopped up

Mix together and enjoy.

shr1nk1ngme
02-15-2014, 09:24 PM
I start with a La Tortilla Factory low-carb tortilla. I spread some homemade Greek yogurt on it and sprinkle it with seasonings, then layer it with MorningStar vegetarian bacon and spinach leaves. Then roll it up and eat. Yummmmm

Wannabeskinny
02-16-2014, 09:56 AM
I didn't invent this but I love making chocolate mouse with avocado yum!

alaskanlaughter
02-17-2014, 09:54 PM
2 oz low-fat cream cheese, 1 tblsp coconut oil heated in microwave 25 seconds...mix with splenda and tblsp baking cocoa....creamy, smooth, chocolatey yummy!

shcirerf
02-17-2014, 10:52 PM
One mashed avacado, one teaspoon of lemon juice, and equal part of fat free plain greek yogurt, for sandwich spread!

Shredded zucchini and or yellow crookneck squash, can be used to bulk up any recipe with veggie. Chili, spaghetti sauce, taco filling, etc.

The fat free plain greek yogurt, along with a bit of skim milk works great for alfredo sauce, or as a sub for adding the creamy goodness to otherwise fattening dishes.

If you are a ranch dressing fan, the ff plain greek yogurt, light buttermilk, and a bit of ff milk, and a packet of ranch seasoning, make it as thick or thin as you prefer. Anything from thick dip to dressing!

thirti4thirty
02-18-2014, 08:28 AM
I saw this thread a few days ago, wanted to reply and lost it. lol
I live in a tropical country and over here, we smoke food. So I love love love to boil smoked fish with a lot of ginger and other spices, depending on my mood. I add just a little bit of salt and leave it to boil till the soup becomes thick. No oil, and sooo yummy. It's my all time go-to when I'm trying to lose some weight. So spicy, tasty and light but filling!
I love boiling okra too. Okra and fish. Just that. I add tomatoes on occasion. Love it too and it's my 2nd go-to.
Then I love boiling other types of seafood (they are so abundant and cheap here!): crab, squid, octopus, shrimps. Just boil them with ginger, pepper and other types of spices and you make my day. I drink the soup and eat the seafood and it's so filling!!! Very few calories with that.
I also invented some tomatoes with eggs. Just cut the tomatoes (better if you can get cherry tomatoes in very small pieces, onions into very small pieces and add pepper if like me you like peppery foods. Then leave it in the microwave for about a minute. They become soft and the tomato lets its juice flow. hummm. You can have it with egg and it's very filling.
There they are. Hope you'll try them!