Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Coconut oil I love thee

View Full Version : Coconut oil I love thee

diamondgeog
02-15-2014, 10:07 AM
I started using coconut oil in January. Since then I have had the best weight loss in my life: 22 pounds since January 2nd.

I had to rethink all I've ever heard about fats my entire life: 92% saturated fats? Are you nuts trying it? Well do the research yourself. I now cook with it, bake with it, put it in coffee, even eat it directly. It should be organic and extra virgin.

I can get with subscribe and save on Amazon 15 ounces under $6.

BTW here is a great article on fats by Mary Enig. Well worth reading.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2002/08/17/saturated-fat1.aspx

Suzanne 3FC
02-15-2014, 10:50 AM
22 pounds lost is fantastic! You've made significant changes to your diet all around, along with an energetic exercise program and it's nice to see that you are benefiting from your efforts :)

I buy coconut oil from Amazon, too. I love the way it smells and it does wonderful things for my dry winter skin. I use it instead of lotion :)

A lot of people don't trust Mercola's view on coconut oil because he owns a lot of stock in the coconut oil industry. He's financially vested in promoting it.

Dr. Weil published an article on coconut oil just yesterday. He says the evidence isn't quite there yet and the jury is still out.
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401284/New-View-of-Coconut-Oil.html

I have this video bookmarked because it's so interesting. It's just about 3 minutes long. Dr. Michael Gregor took a closer look at the studies on the effects of coconut oil and it wasn't nearly as positive as Mercola would have us believe. Dr. Gregor is biased towards plant foods, so for him to say a plant based food product isn't necessarily a good thing was pretty astounding. The video is here.. (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-coconut-oil-clog-arteries/)

diamondgeog
02-19-2014, 01:33 PM
Michael Gregor's whole professional life and I would guess personal life is tied up to saturated fats are bad, from any source. He would be, I suspect but don't knomw, about as partial a source of info on coconut oil as you could find.

This is just one of hundreds of articles. I will post more later. But this is fascinating because the author Donald Miller was so into low fat he started a Dean Ornish heart center. But he has done a 180. He also is far from perfect, as we all are, in some of his other views, but his speciality is heart disease and that is what I am posting about.

Coconut oil and especially grass fed butters are among the healthiest foods on the planets. When Americans eat them virtually no heart disease at any age.
http://archive.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller38.1.html

diamondgeog
02-19-2014, 05:57 PM
I do want to say I admire vegans and vegetarians on many levels: moral, environmental, etc. But I do think they tend to not look at diet and health objectively. They kind of put blinders on that their way is also better health wise. And it does have many compelling health benefits. And veggies are at the top of my list of foods.

But humans however much someone might wish it did not evolve as vegetarians. And we also did not evolve to eat grain. Going grain free and low carb is so rare that first there are no studies linking heart disease and saturated fats. And b most studies look at people on high carb low fat and compare them to high carb high fat. Commonality? High carb, which changes how your body works in general. Low carb high fat populations around the world, especially using natural grass fed fats from animals are extremely healthy with very low rates of heart disease.

I found this Q and A with Jeff Volek fascinating. I love the you are not what you eat but what you have left over after you eat. When I was high carb so many carbs were being stored as fat. Now on low fat, my nice nutritious fats protect my body then get burned off.

Dr. Volek: Carbs control insulin and insulin controls lipid (fat) burning for fuel. So, in our work, what we’ve shown, is that even though you’re eating more saturated fat on a low carb diet, perhaps 2-3 times the amount, the amount of saturates in your blood goes down because you’re body prefers to burn saturated fat as fuel.

Many people like to embrace the common aphorism, “You are what you eat,” but this is clearly not true, instead, “You are what you save from what you eat.” And when you’re on a low carb diet, your body is preferentially oxidizing fat for fuel, so you’re not storing it or accumulating it in cells, arteries, or fat stores. So if anything, dietary carbs are more related to increasing membrane levels of saturated fat. Dietary saturated fat has little correlation with the level of saturated fat in the body.

Dave: That’s a huge shift in paradigm because a lot of people don’t realize this and believe saturated fat causes heart disease.

Dr. Volek: Not just a lot of people, about 90% of medical professionals and even lipid researchers find this mind boggling.

Dave: To me, it makes total sense. If you’re insulin is up from too many carbs, then your body will respond with elevated saturates in the blood. So it makes sense.

Dr. Volek: It really threatens about 40 years of dietary policy that has been obsessed with the idea dietary fat increases your risk for heart disease. Rather than get stronger over time, if anything, the evidence has gotten weaker and weaker for this outdated hypothesis.

I also found this Vegan's appraisal of coconut oil:

http://veganheath.info/pure-coconut-oil-cholesterol

diamondgeog
02-20-2014, 11:42 AM
From Dr. Weil,

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401262/Should-I-Drink-Bulletproof-Coffee.html

I just found grass fed butter in my area from Kalona farms. Definitely trying this.

As part of the article "Unfortunately, a misguided campaign against saturated fat (loosely defined as fat that remains solid at room temperature) waged in the U.S. since the late 1970s has left many Americans skittish about butter; they have been repeatedly warned that it 'clogs arteries." This notion was based on shaky research that, in my view, has now been refuted. A large-scale meta-analysis published in the March, 2010 issue the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found "no significant evidence" that dietary saturated fat is associated with increased heart disease risk. Still, I'm not comfortable telling people to eat it with abandon."

Fair enough. He might not be where I am and I am still not eating it with abandon. But glad he is keeping an open mind. Again when people eat lard and butter there was virtually zero heart disease. And yes people did live into their 70s, 80s, and 90s. And they were NOT dying of heart disease.

I would think that would give any person cause to at minimum do more research on saturated fats. But as soon as Crisco came on the seen, and industrial cotton oil product, our collective health started going kaput.

BTW Crisco and margarine to me are two of the worst and most harmful Frankenfoods ever created. They are manufactured industrial products that may be saturated. But they have NOTHING in common with good coconut oil and grass fed butter. I wouldn't touch margarine even if I was paid $2,000 a month to use it.

Mad Donnelly
02-20-2014, 05:31 PM
I started using coconut oil in January. Since then I have had the best weight loss in my life: 22 pounds since January 2nd.

I had to rethink all I've ever heard about fats my entire life: 92% saturated fats? Are you nuts trying it? Well do the research yourself. I now cook with it, bake with it, put it in coffee, even eat it directly. It should be organic and extra virgin.

I can get with subscribe and save on Amazon 15 ounces under $6.

BTW here is a great article on fats by Mary Enig. Well worth reading.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2002/08/17/saturated-fat1.aspx
Thought you weren't going to post for a week? Just teasing.

Again you've posted a lot of info I'll have to go back and read. But for now, your amazing 22 pounds has convinced me to turn to coconut oil finally. I resisted only because of its unfamiliarity, not its saturated nature. So I will finally experiment and try the BPC and watch as my husband eyes me suspiciously as if I've lost my mind.

diamondgeog
02-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Trying first BPC tomorrow. Remember you need to use grass fed butter. I am looking into possibly getting a press to use organic coffee beans.

Yeah there is a lot of info. Basically when people used grass fed butter and animal fat and coconut oil very little heart disease. When the 20th century creations came to be, heart disease skyrocketed.

Ubee
02-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Larry glad to see you posting again!
I use it like you do and it is the best lotion ever!

nelie
02-21-2014, 12:08 PM
I like coconut oil and it is one of the many that I use. Only thing I'd say is I wouldn't trust anything on mercola.com.

Overall, I think saturated fats were lumped into the issues with red meat. I mentioned elsewhere that there does seem research to back up the idea that red meat can be cause heart disease, specifically, l-carnitine found in red meat. I don't think saturated fats are evil, I just think you'd balance out your fats overall.

Sum38
02-21-2014, 12:19 PM
Try Popping popcorn with coconut oil, yumm-o!

diamondgeog
02-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Grain free now so no popcorn. Did you know movie theaters used to use coconut oil?

Finding more and more out about grass fed butter. Did you know it can help prevent breast cancer, is packed with K2, and omega 3 to omega 6 ratio is 1 to 1? Google grass fed butter superfood. Remember this is for grass fed.

Übee thanks. Nelie I think so many people on high meat were on high carbs also. That being said moderation is important as is getting grass fed when you can. Also having meat on the rare side, with veggies, and marinating it before hand seem to reduce negative effects. Having it charred by itself would be worse.

AwShucks
03-13-2014, 12:23 AM
:censored:TMI alert!
I've been having a tsp of coconut oil in my coffee twice a day for several days and made a "fat bomb" that was surprisingly tasty. My hope is to up my weight loss like the OP, but how long does it take for your system to get used to the extra oil? It does a number on my stomach.

diamondgeog
03-14-2014, 07:39 PM
It never really upset my stomach so I can't say for sure. Hopefully it will get better.

Found a new way to enjoy coconut oil. Look up buttermints.

My wife made some yesterday. Awesome. Just grass fed butter, coconut oil, raw honey, and peppermint extract.

AwShucks
03-14-2014, 09:27 PM
That sounds yummy! I wonder if it would work with splenda instead of honey?

yoyoma
03-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Hey, DG, I've been eating more goat cheese rather than going out of my way to find grass fed cow products. I haven't really researched it, but I figured goat dairy would be grass fed so shouldn't it be good too?

Leanbodywomen
03-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Congrats on the amount of weight that you lost.

I also use coconut oil and it's made a dramatic difference in my physical and mental appearance. I have more energy and feel way better than before.

diamondgeog
03-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Thanks. I feel amazing. And once over the giving up bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. it hasn't been that hard. Sure it takes effort to give up lifelong favorites. But my appetite self-regulated so well and so many yummy foods left, it was worth it 100 times over.

BTW I posted in carb counters an infographic that is one of the best things to read or share with anyone not low carb yet.

Regarding goat cheese. Don't underestimate the power of big food to change anything. I would think goats would not be fed a grain diet but I suppose that is possible with commercial operations. So I'd still be careful.

yoyoma
03-20-2014, 07:11 AM
Hey, DG, I wanted you to know that you inspired me to buy some coconut oil, lol . I don't intend to replace all the othre oils I use (EVOO, walnut, sesame, canola...) but I will use it as well. I made a green curry with it... yum!

diamondgeog
03-21-2014, 08:50 AM
Great yoyoma. I very much encourage you to research canola oil. I knew nothing of it months ago. Now I won't touch it. It will repulse you when you find out about it. Any omega 3 it had is gone by the time you are using it.

Olive oil is great but not for cooking. I just got macadamia oil for cooking but pretty expensive. You can get beef tallow from US Wellness, we did haven't tried it yet. We are also cooking with grass fed butter.

I started 'oil pulling' my teeth with coconut oil recently. Pretty amazing, look it up. And I use it in (what's left of) my hair now.

ringmaster
03-22-2014, 08:37 PM
I've been using coconut oil and grassfed butter in my coffee. I think it has helped me with my weightloss... it replaced the creamers I was using in my coffee though. I used to think the creamers weren't a big enough impact on my diet, but maybe they were since they have the sugar and corn syrup in it.

Green Mountain has some nice organic coffees...some of them are single origin coffees (forgot the name, one I bought is an orange bag) that has become one of my favorites.

Think it's still up for debate on what humans are meant to be eating. I've also read the ideal diet for humans is the fruitarian diet, so it is possible to eat vegan/vegetarian and be healthy. I'm not 100% there (ie, I include the butter), but most of my diet now is close, cutting out grains and processed foods. I think vegetarians lost their healthy rep with all of the processed foods and Frankenfoods that came out.

diamondgeog
03-22-2014, 08:50 PM
I personally find vegans/vegetarians done right and Paleo/Primal very close. They need to stop bashing each other.

At their hearts they all have veggies and whole foods. I find the evidence compelling for no grains and my body agrees. So I go Paleo Primal there. But I am fine with dairy personally.

What irks me a little is the vegans/vegetarians who say humans didn't eat meat or even good quality grass fed meat is bad for you.

The moral and environmental arguments are very strong and compelling. But when they start saying humans didn't eat meat, that to me is impossible to claim. But saying shouldn't eat meat, OK, some strong arguments there. Not health wise for me, but environmental, moral yes.

But even there, Paleo Primal done right is animals raised humanely in good conditions. So even close there.

Serenity100
04-04-2014, 08:11 PM
I have been eating 1 TBL organic virgin coconut oil after reading up on it. I figured it can't hurt, and might really help. I have already seen help with certaindigestive issues, and I think it is true that it helps to burn fat. I am not good at understanding science and how the different fats break down, but I do know that I am post-menapausal and I'm still losing without much trouble.:)

YumaDeb
04-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Coconut oil is my favorite for cooking and has so many other great uses and benefits. I even put it in my smoothies. Congrats on losing 22 pounds! I am sure that isn't just from using coconut oil. My weight loss coach advised me to eliminate wheat, gluten, soy and dairy. That pretty much means not eating any processed foods, as at least one of those is an ingredient in just about every thing. I love goat cheese and sheep cheese as a substitute for cow cheese. Many of the commercial gluten free breads and crackers are made with potato starch and/or tapioca flour. I find that both of those are more inflammatory for me than wheat. I think I am better off going low carb as well.

mars735
04-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Butternut squash cubed and roasted with coconut oil, cayenne pepper, and garlic is heavenly!

yoyoma
04-07-2014, 08:22 AM
My buying that coconut oil triggered something in my husband. He is now on a quest to create the perfect curry sauce for salmon. I am the lucky recipient of his attempts. :)

I wasn't too surprised about that, but last night I found out that he has bought a pack of basil seeds to grow his own basil for the curry!

So, it goes to show how sharing your experience can have a real impact on other peoples' lives!

mars735
04-07-2014, 09:28 AM
yoyoma: I'm interested! It would be so great to have basil available every day that's not in a plastic box or wilting in the refrig. Do you happen to know if it can tolerate partial sun/some shade? Thanks for sharing and Bon Apetit!

nelie
04-07-2014, 10:38 AM
The secret to a good curry is not skimping on the oil. One of my favorite bloggers has a number of curry recipes which you could modify for salmon. My husband's favorite is near the bottom of this list, potato, chickpea and spinach curry. I added more coconut oil than the recipe called for
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/search?q=Curry

yoyoma
04-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the tip, nelie! I'll pass it along.

Mars, I think basil likes full sun. But it does well in pots so it can be grown on a sunny window sill. I'm going to let DH take care of all that. We used to grow a garden, but gave that up as DD got older and we got busier. We have several years of compost ready when we are, lol!

mars735
04-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the tip, nelie! I'll pass it along.

Mars, I think basil likes full sun. But it does well in pots so it can be grown on a sunny window sill. I'm going to let DH take care of all that. We used to grow a garden, but gave that up as DD got older and we got busier. We have several years of compost ready when we are, lol!

Oooooh I can't wait to try growing some indoor basil! Lately I've been adding it to all sorts of dishes and it adds so much flavor, as well as a 'good-for-the-soul' experience to the food. Thanks!

Your compost will surely come in handy when the times comes.

waterdreamer
04-07-2014, 01:27 PM
This thread has been an interesting read, thanks everyone for sharing so much information. Btw congrats on the weight loss diamondgeg and mars735 (i hope i haven't left anyone out the thread became quite long all of a sudden!). My aunt started using coconut oil a few years ago for cooking, so I gave it a whirl and had success with cooking vegetables. I was a bit skeptical about putting it in coffee; but after reading this thread tried a bit and it was great (shocked). It does add a nutty flavour. Ironic how losing weight has opened up my mind to a vast array of new ingredients and recipes.

diamondgeog
04-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Some more awesomeness about coconut oil. And thanks for the thanks. Very short article but spells out why coconut oil 'works'. We have raw organic cocoa in the house. I mixed a little in with a tablespoon of coconut oil. Way more complex, pretty good.

http://experts.sheknows.com/post/health-and-wellness/how-to-break-your-sugar-addiction

mars735
04-07-2014, 11:50 PM
This thread has been an interesting read, thanks everyone for sharing so much information. Btw congrats on the weight loss diamondgeg and mars735 (i hope i haven't left anyone out the thread became quite long all of a sudden!). My aunt started using coconut oil a few years ago for cooking, so I gave it a whirl and had success with cooking vegetables. I was a bit skeptical about putting it in coffee; but after reading this thread tried a bit and it was great (shocked). It does add a nutty flavour. Ironic how losing weight has opened up my mind to a vast array of new ingredients and recipes.

Thanks water dreamer :) Looks like you are well on your way. I'm going to try adding coconut oil to my coffee tomorrow. So true about losing weight opening up the mind.

JerseyPAGirl
05-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Coconut oil rocks. So does ghee (clarified butter). I make my own out of organic grass fed butter. I usually use them both together in cooking.