Ideal Protein Diet - IP Daily Chat

View Full Version : IP Daily Chat

lisa32989
02-10-2014, 06:59 AM
:welcome2:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on plan

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/243142-have-question-about-ip-read-here-first-before-posting-question.html): Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads,
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html)and here are the most recent Ideal Protein Protocol sheets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4701599-post49.html)

And before you cheat, read this thread:
The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/221536-real-cost-cheating-ideal-protein.html)

Before starting new threads: spend some time reading the forum. Most new threads are duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates. Folks who are the most successful, make time for research/reading.

More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow.html)
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268669-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-volumn-2-a.html)
Fun with Ideal Protein Packets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212175-fun-ideal-protein-packets.html)
Fun with Veggie Purees! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html)
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/273856-ideal-protein-diet-recipes-4-a.html)
Tips and Recipes from the Incredible Weight Loss Center (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270950-ideal-protein-tips-recipes-incredible-weight-loss-center.html)

For those looking for alternative products
Here is a thread with tons of info. Spend some time in it. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270731-alternative-products-will-work-phase-1-a.html
And here is a link to a chart (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4677467-post240.html) to help you choose appropriate products

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcements-forum-help/203435-ultimate-one-stop-signature-ticker-thread-read-here-if-you-have-questions.html) for more information and instructions.

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427715-post155.html) Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos
Mini-Goal Photo Album (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/).

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website (http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19)

sweetenuf
02-10-2014, 07:12 AM
Good Morning everyone :)

Happy Monday!

shrinkingsusie
02-10-2014, 08:54 AM
Good morning! Hope everyone had a great weekend!!

Went to visit my parents and my sister had smooth move tea - it worked wonders. I grabbed myself a box at Target. Just wondering how often everyone uses it? Just when you are feeling "backed up"?

Ruth Ann
02-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Good morning! Hope everyone had a great weekend!!

Went to visit my parents and my sister had smooth move tea - it worked wonders. I grabbed myself a box at Target. Just wondering how often everyone uses it? Just when you are feeling "backed up"?

Just when I'm backed up - I don't think it's a good idea or necessary to use it when everything is normal.

Narae
02-10-2014, 09:33 AM
I check the daily chat the first thing in the morning, Lisa :coffee2:

tbc85
02-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Good morning!! I weigh in on Mondays at home and Wednesdays with my coach, 2 more pounds gone as of this morning!!

Hope everyone had a great weekend, we spent ours around the house cleaning up the leaves in the backyard and getting all of the dog hair out of my house. We let our dogs in anytime it is 40 or below outside and lately that has been fairly often. The dog hair in my house was driving me bananas!! I looked at the weekly forecast today and it looks like they will back inside tonight, lol. Oh well I guess I will spend next Sunday (my birthday!) doing the same.

nolasmurf
02-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Happy Monday all. My house guests are gone so I'll be spending the day cleaning up again. Stripping beds washing linen etc.

I think for dinner I'll make some IP meatballs. Not sure what veggies to use. Maybe I'll go get some okra! I really thought it was a restricted veggie. Excited it's not

ecdcslim
02-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Good morning all. So I had a total meltdown yesterday - after having my phase 3 breakfast I worked out with my trainer at the gym, came home, had a phase 3 lunch but when I started to prepare for a dinner party, I 'found' a box of chocolate covered toffee candy and just kept eating it until I burst into tears. I quit, thought it was over. At dinner I was fine until dessert. I made a separate piece of fish without sauce, roasted veggies that were on the protocol but when the dessert platter was on the table, I just started helping myself to cheese, crackers and chocolate. It was like I couldn't help myself, my self-control went right out the window.

This morning, I feel like crap, both physically and mentally. I put myself back on Phase 1. My question is do I stay on phase 1 just for the day and go back to phase 3? I am trying really hard not to beat myself up, I have been so strict, and the only times I've gone off plan were deliberate - I planned for it. Yesterday was like WHAM back to the old way of furtively eating and then saying screw it. Which is very scary for me, I am very worried about sticking to maintenance and the 'losing it' last night was just scary. Any words of wisdom? I am in my last week of phase 3 and with 'eating for the rest of my life' looming, I'm freaking out.

Hiker88
02-10-2014, 10:37 AM
I'm going to visit friends in a tiny village an hour away today (long weekend in BC) so I'm grilling my turkey breast and making myself a turkey salad for lunch. I've been getting a little lazy lately about planning, weighing meat etc.. so need to get strict with myself again so I can get off P1 as fast as possible!

Vippysue
02-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Good morning all. So I had a total meltdown yesterday - after having my phase 3 breakfast I worked out with my trainer at the gym, came home, had a phase 3 lunch but when I started to prepare for a dinner party, I 'found' a box of chocolate covered toffee candy and just kept eating it until I burst into tears. I quit, thought it was over. At dinner I was fine until dessert. I made a separate piece of fish without sauce, roasted veggies that were on the protocol but when the dessert platter was on the table, I just started helping myself to cheese, crackers and chocolate. It was like I couldn't help myself, my self-control went right out the window.

This morning, I feel like crap, both physically and mentally. I put myself back on Phase 1. My question is do I stay on phase 1 just for the day and go back to phase 3? I am trying really hard not to beat myself up, I have been so strict, and the only times I've gone off plan were deliberate - I planned for it. Yesterday was like WHAM back to the old way of furtively eating and then saying screw it. Which is very scary for me, I am very worried about sticking to maintenance and the 'losing it' last night was just scary. Any words of wisdom? I am in my last week of phase 3 and with 'eating for the rest of my life' looming, I'm freaking out.

Chin up. Maybe this is good. Next time you are tempted, remember how you feel now and ask yourself, "Is it worth it?" Only you will be able to answer that question. Forgive yourself and do better today.

GettinHealthyNow
02-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Good morning - still battling a cold and this freakin' polar vortex we are living in does not help. My hands are so numb I just knocked over my hot cup of tea onto my keyboard. Not a great start to the day!

Tigerlvr52
02-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Had Weigh in number 5 and down another couple of pounds. Pretty excited for that. Did some experimenting in the kitchen this weekend and some pretty awesome results. Went to a chocolate and wine festival for my mom and sister's birthday. Got some pretty bad *** spice mixtures from a local gal that are amazing. When I get home I will get the name of the lady for my fellow Washintonions. Made myself some chicken fingers the other day that my DH was eyeballing. I gave him one and he was floored. He keeps making comments that he might be able to go OP if I cook the way I do for myself. We shall see.

Happy Monday everyone.

eandc2006
02-10-2014, 11:38 AM

I think you should continue with phase 3 and keep moving forward. You have worked very hard and sometimes things happen. No need to beat yourself up...you are a CHAMP and have done amazing. The "damage" that you did will not be noticeable in my opinion. IP does great things for your metabolism and body so one indulgence when you have already lost the weight and starting with the initial part of maintenance will not make you gain weight. Day by day. There will be times when you over indulge and times when you are very much on point. Its a journey regardless of the phase and it will continue to challenge you but I am confident that you have all the necessary skills to continue to live a happy and healthy life!

eandc2006
02-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Morning all. Day 6 of my reboot. In my 1 plus year of maintenance I have done phase 1 days/weeks here and there and found myself starving, dreaming of food, etc and even physically weak at points. For some reason, I am not experiencing it this time around. Any insights into this? Anyone else have this happen? Not sure if this is a good or bad thing?

Also, I am doing an EAS shake or two a day to save $$$ this time around since I am only doing 30 days. That being said, I have noticed the scale act funny even go up the last two days. Anyone else have this happen b/c the sodium content is higher. Should I add more water or reduce salt with food at dinner?

calee
02-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Good morning,

I am on day 4. I'm hoping the hungries that I experienced yesterday will lessen today. I am using alternative products to get off my last pounds. I use MFP. Could someone please direct me towards the correct ratios for carbs/protein/fat. I would appreciate your help!

Have a great day.

trinny
02-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Yesterday was like WHAM back to the old way of furtively eating and then saying screw it. Which is very scary for me, I am very worried about sticking to maintenance and the 'losing it' last night was just scary. Any words of wisdom? I am in my last week of phase 3 and with 'eating for the rest of my life' looming, I'm freaking out.

I can't comment from a BTDT perspective. However, your statement on "furtively eating" caught my eye because I'm a closet eater myself, and I've given the whole concept a lot of thought. When I do this, I think I'm deliberately punishing myself or self-sabotaging. I need to get to the bottom of this if I expect to make any lasting change.

It sounds like you're experiencing a lot of anxiety about reaching goal and moving off the program. I think you should forgive yourself this lapse and focus on the background noise that caused it so it doesn't become a pattern. It is absolutely OK not to be perfect; it's how you respond to the occasional mistake that will matter in the long run. You've been so successful; you are completely capable of maintaining and continuing on with your success!

NanDeNa
02-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Happy Monday to all!
I'd like to share a quick note of a few Good things that have happened to me since going OP ...

My bras finally fit with out bulging out of them :) YES!

My husband gave me a hug and I really felt smaller in his arms !!!
Oh baby! That felt soooo good!

I love jicama ! (Works like smooth move tea for me ;) )

In one month I'm going to be a Godmother for my niece' son. Besides being able to be his godmother, I'm so thrilled I started IP in Jan! I'll be looking younger and slimmer in his Christening photos ... Woo Hoo!

Thanks for listening

Ruth Ann
02-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Good morning,

I am on day 4. I'm hoping the hungries that I experienced yesterday will lessen today. I am using alternative products to get off my last pounds. I use MFP. Could someone please direct me towards the correct ratios for carbs/protein/fat. I would appreciate your help!

Have a great day.

Hi calee! The hungries should lessen, just hang in there! Days 3 and 4 were the worst for me so hopefully things will settle down for you.

I believe the correct ratio is 50% protein, 30% fat & 20% carbs. But really, there's no need to track if you're only eating what's on the sheet. I do because I like playing with numbers and looking at the nutritional values of the different foods, but if it gives you anxiety remember you don't have to track a thing.

mckaren4
02-10-2014, 12:09 PM
I thought becks diet tip for today was great and can apply to us even when we are in losing weight mode-not just maintenance
the tip:
Monday Motivation: We asked one maintainer about her motivation to keep weight down and she said, “Every time I want to quit I remind myself that there is nothing to quit. This is my life. This is what I’m doing. It’s 100% worth it so I don’t even entertain thoughts of not doing it. There’s nothing to quit!”

ecdcslim
02-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Vippysue & eandc2006 - thanks for you love and support - I am trying to focus on the future - that was yesterday. I'm trying to get my brain around the fact that I will have to make decisions like this for the rest of my life if I'm going to stay healthy and keep the weight off. And Vippysue, you're right, only I can decide what goes in my mouth and how I feel about it. Thanks again.

finale
02-10-2014, 12:21 PM
mckaren4:
That is an awesome quote....

ecdcslim
02-10-2014, 12:29 PM
I can't comment from a BTDT perspective. However, your statement on "furtively eating" caught my eye because I'm a closet eater myself, and I've given the whole concept a lot of thought. When I do this, I think I'm deliberately punishing myself or self-sabotaging. I need to get to the bottom of this if I expect to make any lasting change.

It sounds like you're experiencing a lot of anxiety about reaching goal and moving off the program. I think you should forgive yourself this lapse and focus on the background noise that caused it so it doesn't become a pattern. It is absolutely OK not to be perfect; it's how you respond to the occasional mistake that will matter in the long run. You've been so successful; you are completely capable of maintaining and continuing on with your success!

Trinny - YES - this is it! Wow. DH and even some of my friends have been on me about being too thin, I've lost too much weight, etc. but DH especially. And I'm looking at going into Phase 4 Sunday with a special Valentines Day restaurant dinner on Sunday night with DH and he'll expect me to drink champagne and eat. So I think I've been struggling with hanging on to myself through this unexpected 'criticism' from people who up to now have been very supportive. (I'm not too thin - BMI is 23, body fat % is 30). I know change is hard for everyone, and they aren't use to seeing me at this weight (most of them, including DH have NEVER seen me at this weight) but it's what I weighed from the time I was 15 - 32 yrs old, so familiar to me. So I'm stressing a bit about all this feedback, coupled with P4 coming up. I am resolved! I'm never going to gain this weight back! Thank you thank you thank you!!

65X65
02-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Cut and pasted from the 90% thread ...
I apologize for responding there to RuthAnn . 90% rs need their own posting spot....but I stand by what I posted. My response is being removed from that thread.

From Ruth Ann:
I mean absolutely no disrespect to NolaSmurf who has had great success on this program and has been a great contributor to this board, but I do want to give a different perspective on drinking while on IP.

When I started IP I made a commitment to stay 100% - I decided if I was going to spend this much money (and it does strain our family budget) and effort I wasn’t going to spend one minute longer or one cent more on P1 than absolutely necessary. That meant asking my husband to give up some of our routines – Friday nights were always my 2 martini and teriyaki night. My husband (who is the chef in our house) had to learn IP to cook for me and incorporate my meals into his plans.

He did it without complaining and is very proud of me. But knowing how hard he is trying to help me has been a huge motivation for me to stay 100%. Would 1 martini a week have slowed me down? Probably, but I haven’t been willing to test it – as much as we’ve changed things in our household to accommodate my diet I feel I have a responsibility to do my part and stay on plan. I don’t think it would be fair to ask my household to continue to change things to help me if I’m not going to stay committed.

Do I miss my two martinis a week? Yep, I sure do. But I have had great success getting healthy – I’m down 102 pounds in just over 9 months, I am no longer pre-diabetic, my blood pressure is in the normal range and all my other blood work is so perfect it’s boring.

Everyone makes choices while on IP and I respect whatever choices those are. Giving up some things I enjoy for now so that I can be healthy for the remainder of my life seems like a pretty fair exchange to me.

Kudos to you Ruth Ann for your concise and honest answer and perspective. Not only does it "probably" slow things down...it is a taste and some usually overdue practice for the restraint long term success into maintenance will require.

Love reading the NS victories /behavior modification of the long term successful... But I have not seen much that is an endorsement to be loose with eating and drinking off plan during the weight loss phases. Those posts are not nearly as compelling.

After reaching goal...the liberation to not be 100 % on a diet all the time needs to be compared to the women's movement... Yes, You can have it all..just not all at once or all the time. If you "cheat" during the actual weightloss phases... How long will it take for you to eat and drink yourself right back to square one? Are you honest about acknowledging you have to do more than Lose weight. Something has to change...or the loss won't last. Suggest spending time reading the reboot restart threads. Those are some sobering posts...no pun intended

dak1lls
02-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Happy Monday all. My house guests are gone so I'll be spending the day cleaning up again. Stripping beds washing linen etc.

I think for dinner I'll make some IP meatballs. Not sure what veggies to use. Maybe I'll go get some okra! I really thought it was a restricted veggie. Excited it's not

I love meatballs with zucchini pasta and a little IP friendly marinara. yum! i also found a great cauliflower alfredo sauce recipe. i can't remember where, but you can probably google it.

65X65
02-10-2014, 02:05 PM

ecdc...this describes painfully...and with honesty..(Thank-you) the very challenges that are being discussed today. This..or any diet is NOT ENOUGH!

The rest of our lives after "the diet" is going to be governed by a whole new set of rules, and it's absolutely harder to prepare and be successful once those days kick in. The early Phases of the diet and compliance are spittin' easy compared to the challenges faced once there is freedom... and if the behavior modification is not embraced and happened, most of us will go back to what drove us before IP.

It is so important to get your head in the game.. You have a good start on the newest part of your fight now....you see it...identified it....called it out......and are taking action. This time, before you begin to move on to a maintenance plan...I suggest you do some reading. There are a lot of excellent books listed in a number of the threads, on what needs to happen and does happen to people on maintenance. Figuring out how to modify your thought and behavior processes are critical...but now and forever; the battle will be in your head as much as on your plate.

:hug::hug: Keep coming on here...some days you need reinforcement. You know it's worth it...Because YOU DESERVE to be in control.

ecdcslim
02-10-2014, 02:43 PM
65X65 - thank you, you are always the clear voice of reason for me. I did buy the Beck book, I'll now read it from cover to cover, rather than scan it. I know I have to change the way I think about food and eating now that I'm heading into maintenance but I do plan to keep the weight off.

eandc2006
02-10-2014, 02:52 PM
I will just chime in and give a shout out thanks to 65 X 65 because you are always honest, but with grace, empathy, and support. I appreciate that you always bring it back to a positive. Thank you for that!

Lolo70
02-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Cut and pasted from the 90% thread ...
I apologize for responding there to RuthAnn . 90% rs need their own posting spot....but I stand by what I posted. My response is being removed from that thread.

From Ruth Ann:
I mean absolutely no disrespect to NolaSmurf who has had great success on this program and has been a great contributor to this board, but I do want to give a different perspective on drinking while on IP.

When I started IP I made a commitment to stay 100% - I decided if I was going to spend this much money (and it does strain our family budget) and effort I wasn’t going to spend one minute longer or one cent more on P1 than absolutely necessary. That meant asking my husband to give up some of our routines – Friday nights were always my 2 martini and teriyaki night. My husband (who is the chef in our house) had to learn IP to cook for me and incorporate my meals into his plans.

He did it without complaining and is very proud of me. But knowing how hard he is trying to help me has been a huge motivation for me to stay 100%. Would 1 martini a week have slowed me down? Probably, but I haven’t been willing to test it – as much as we’ve changed things in our household to accommodate my diet I feel I have a responsibility to do my part and stay on plan. I don’t think it would be fair to ask my household to continue to change things to help me if I’m not going to stay committed.

Do I miss my two martinis a week? Yep, I sure do. But I have had great success getting healthy – I’m down 102 pounds in just over 9 months, I am no longer pre-diabetic, my blood pressure is in the normal range and all my other blood work is so perfect it’s boring.

Everyone makes choices while on IP and I respect whatever choices those are. Giving up some things I enjoy for now so that I can be healthy for the remainder of my life seems like a pretty fair exchange to me.

Kudos to you Ruth Ann for your concise and honest answer and perspective. Not only does it "probably" slow things down...it is a taste and some usually overdue practice for the restraint long term success into maintenance will require.

Love reading the NS victories /behavior modification of the long term successful... But I have not seen much that is an endorsement to be loose with eating and drinking off plan during the weight loss phases. Those posts are not nearly as compelling.

After reaching goal...the liberation to not be 100 % on a diet all the time needs to be compared to the women's movement... Yes, You can have it all..just not all at once or all the time. If you "cheat" during the actual weightloss phases... How long will it take for you to eat and drink yourself right back to square one? Are you honest about acknowledging you have to do more than Lose weight. Something has to change...or the loss won't last. Suggest spending time reading the reboot restart threads. Those are some sobering posts...no pun intended

I think this is a valid motivational speak and people should indeed carefully and all the time! consider what they eat and drink. But I also think everybody is different. I drink a good glass of wine every single day and I can maintain just fine. I simply keep everything within my calorie range and if I go out and eat more, I do it without feeling bad about it, but I tackle possible gains right away.

I think it may be harder to maintain a weight loss for people who have mainly consumed processed food, sweets and fast food before. Because then one has to learn how to eat in a healthier way and IP may be a preparation, but it is not the end. I may come from a different culture where regular meals with family/friends were routine and meals had a healthy proportion of veggies, fruit and meat. I think there is nothing wrong about learning to enjoy food, savoring it (and wine is part of that), and consuming it in a reasonable amount. Sometimes it sounds to me as if food has to be reduced to calories you need for survival. That is so wrong in my opinion. If food is seen as a joy, one can consume it in smaller portions and not feel deprived. However, if food is seen as something one has to combat every day, life seems a bit colder to me. And it basically invites frustration binges. I can actually get a lot of satisfaction simply by reading recipes or watching youtube videos by Ottolenghi, Nigel Slater, Gordon Ramsay etc. I do not have to eat the food to feel happy. It is merely the sensuality of preparing food and the passion going into recipes. Maintaining a weight loss has a lot to do with developing a healthy relation to food. If there a known triggers, they are best to be completely avoided, at least when alone with them. But there are also enough alternatives out there that can be enjoyed safely, just not in unlimited amounts. But, please, eating good food and drinking great wine is not cheating. Ask the Italians or the French.

65X65
02-10-2014, 03:47 PM
I will just chime in and give a shout out thanks to 65 X 65 because you are always honest, but with grace, empathy, and support. I appreciate that you always bring it back to a positive. Thank you for that!

Thanks so much..I do not want to be viewed as negative...but this discussion was in response to a new person's recent questions...and in reality...maintenance is something that needs to be thoughtfully considered and discussed as soon as one gets their feet here and is planted solidly in the mud.

It's 10 X harder for most people to maintain than the the actual diet is.... I try to be honest.... and at least throw it out.

LOL...Food for thought is what is needed more than a piece of chocolate or a glass of wine in most cases!! We don't need to be in the same room to do that!!

65X65
02-10-2014, 03:53 PM
I think this is a valid motivational speak and people should indeed carefully and all the time! consider what they eat and drink. But I also think everybody is different. I drink a good glass of wine every single day and I can maintain just fine. Everyone needs to test this...for some it will NOT be the case...

I simply keep everything within my calorie range and if I go out and eat more, I do it without feeling bad about it, but I tackle possible gains right away. Again...some need to pay more attention to carbs...than calories

If food is seen as a joy, one can consume it in smaller portions and not feel deprived. But, please, eating good food and drinking great wine is not cheating. Ask the Italians or the French.

Agreed...Once goal is achieved...!! Not such a good idea when trying to lose on a specific protocol which specifically discourages said......you are either on or off with IP.

That doesn't mean you can't do you own variation...but don't call it IP. It is low carb..lo cal..or whatever...it is NOT IP.

Cheers...I'm not against drinking...we actually have our own wine cellar...but I don't much discuss it here...I'm on maintenance...most of my friends here ARE NOT. Some day...they will be and a cyber toast we will have.

BTW...I'm Italian...so is my husband...and many of our family actually make wine. My dad's label was designed by a family member...

ann5555
02-10-2014, 03:54 PM
I posted this is FAQs but thought I should post it here also to get as many answers as possible...

Hi, my husband and I just started the IP diet last week. We are doing it on our own though because it is too expensive. We got some of the paperwork from a friend who paid for it. I looked through the alternatives thread and the faqs for hours last night, but there is just SOOOO much information on here that it's hard to sort through. I have A LOT of questions that I was hoping somebody could help me with...

1. We were told to get 25-30 carbs per day, no more no less. Is this accurate? I saw some discussions about net carbs vs total carbs... we have been going off of the net carbs on the EAS shakes that we are doing. I am not sure whether or not we are doing net or total for our veggies.. which leads me to my next question..

2. Where does everybody get the carb values for veggies? All the websites I look at are different. So what is a good website that lists carb values for both COOKED AND RAW veggies?

3. As far as alternative supplements, I was told that the ionic fizz was the same as a 5 calorie emergen-c (1x/day), pro omegas are fish oils, and body biotics are pro-biotics..? Is that accurate? We are taking regular vitamins, do we need liquid vitamins? And do we need the potassium citrate in addition to sea salt? And do we need a calcium supplement in addition to the vitamins?

4. Do we need to pay attention to calories at all in phase 1 or just carbs?

5. My husband wants to know if you can have both tea and coffee everyday or just coffee? And if you can substitute egg whites for an EAS shake (at breakfast or lunch)?

6. What exactly is ketosis? We didn't get any paperwork on that... it sounds like you guys are using pH strips..? Do we need that?

7. My husband was also wondering if taking raspberry ketones and/or acai berry with the diet would help with quicker weight loss? I am worried for some reason that it will deplete his nutrition or something... any thoughts?

8. LASTLY, our sheets are apparently old because they said to eat 5 oz of chicken or beef or 7 oz of seafood for dinner. The new sheets on here say 8 oz for everything, so should we increase our portion size starting this week?

I apologize for asking so many questions... but I would greatly appreciate it if someone would take a few minutes to read through them and give us some more information so that we can do this the right way! Thank you so much!!:)

drd1961
02-10-2014, 03:55 PM
I answered your other post.

dak1lls
02-10-2014, 04:20 PM
ann5555, I also answered you in the FAQ thread. Good luck!

shrinkingsusie
02-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Just when I'm backed up - I don't think it's a good idea or necessary to use it when everything is normal.

Do you wait a day or two after being backed up to have it? Just wondering how soon after the big c comes to make one. :)

65X65
02-10-2014, 04:48 PM
There is so much heavy thinking that goes into my reading of all this. As a result, I will stick to my experiences re 'extras' on IP.

First, I do agree that what we are about here is following the protocol. There are so many people joining this site that I would like to feel that we have a genuine and true support for the 100% IP program and not lead or tempt other paths here.

Second, FOR ME, I know that I cannot allow myself to think about going off the program, for whatever reason. I did it once and I was off for nearly two months, unable to kick my you-know-what back in gear. I never want to do that again. Nor do I wish to witness others having to go through that, either.

Third, for many of us, this program means a radical change to what and how we eat and drink. Most of us did not get where we started out on IP through being able to logically and regularly change our eating in reasonable ways. We suffer from binges and overeating. One taste and we can go way overboard. We constantly struggle with our emotional eating. We have family and supposed friends who unknowingly or knowingly sabotage our progress, particularly when starting look really skinny.

So, for me, I will choose to be as perfect as possible on IP and certainly not advocate or support going off protocol. Those sort of justifications are how I got where I was at nearly 300 pounds.

I do not harbor grudges or distress from anyone who feels differently BUT and this is a big BUT - I could not have made it to where I am without the strong, buck it up and follow the protocol support I get here. The mental strength that it takes to be 100% and succeed comes from the lovely people who espouse the 100% approach and I cannot fault that.

Off my soapbox and back to doing my taxes....

You embody why this board exists! We are here to support IP..there is a lot of "other" support less specific to this for a lot more people. There are posters who recognize this and keep the gaming to themselves.

Being brutally honest, this needs to be said:
It is not fair to buck the system when it is hard...then when you get depressed...come and ask for support. I think of these folks as gamers. If you are one, you probably already know why there is fluctuation or less progress than you'd like. There are also a legion of folks that deal with unbelievable health compromises on here...and keep on truckin'. Talk about courage and discouragement in the same sentence. It is disrespectful of the committed souls for a gamer to ask for help/support or time to answer questions, when in their heart...the gamer knows they've not done their best. That is dishonest...and a waste of time for someone who is trying to pay the support and advice forward.

jendilly
02-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Schenectady and 65x65 - Thank you SO much for your honesty and wisdom. I am 100% OP and can't imagine cheating (yes, I've wanted to here and there, but it passes and I don't). I so appreciate your posts today and the way you've said it.

I was thinking in the car today, on my way to the grocery store, that I want to get to a point that I don't want the high calorie carbs and sweets. I want to get to the point where my body only wants the good stuff and I rid my family of all the processed junk. I know the food industry creates (yes, creates...they aren't natural) food that we then crave and want more of. But, I want to rid myself of all of those "wants" and dream of only good foods. In a perfect world...maybe someday.

Ruth Ann
02-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Do you wait a day or two after being backed up to have it? Just wondering how soon after the big c comes to make one. :)

I usually take it if I'm uncomfortable or know I need to go and just can't. Fortunately, I'm not having to use it much lately but it has been great when needed!

65X65
02-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Schenectady and 65x65 - Thank you SO much for your honesty and wisdom. I am 100% OP and can't imagine cheating (yes, I've wanted to here and there, but it passes and I don't). I so appreciate your posts today and the way you've said it.

I was thinking in the car today, on my way to the grocery store, that I want to get to a point that I don't want the high calorie carbs and sweets. I want to get to the point where my body only wants the good stuff and I rid my family of all the processed junk. I know the food industry creates (yes, creates...they aren't natural) food that we then crave and want more of. But, I want to rid myself of all of those "wants" and dream of only good foods. In a perfect world...maybe someday.

Jen- you are on your way to what you envision as far as being in a different place with what you really want. Once you get to the end...Dak, myself and others have commented how the stuff does not taste nearly as good as we remembered.. !! That is a good thing...you need to discover it for yourself...and you will be entitled to be smug :smug:about passing it up if you choose after that! So ... it IS easier to pass up somethings...somethings will still be special...but liking how you look and feel is not a bad ego trip to court during this process.

Celebrate you...!! and... Lady.....
as Shakespeare said..."Vanity be thy name..." That is not such a bad thing in moderation! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!

jendilly
02-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Thank you! Truly appreciate you.

I feel good when I go to the grocery store now and load up on produce. Today, I picked up rhubarb to try the IP way and turnips to make "fries". I'm getting more ambitious and it's fun to try out new veggies that are good for us...baking things that are actually OP!

I picked up some new teas today, too. Got the chocolate hazelnut decaf...and oh my goodness! That tastes so good when you are wanting something "chocolatey". I'm finding it so hard to stay warm lately. My hands and feet are always cold. Still drinking lots and lots of water, but it's nice to warm up, too. For some reason, the afternoon time just before my kids get home is the worst for me.

maureen kempster
02-10-2014, 05:55 PM
when vegetables are measured is it before or after they're cooked?
thank you in advance

maureen

ems70508
02-10-2014, 06:00 PM
when vegetables are measured is it before or after they're cooked?
thank you in advance

maureen

before. measure you meat raw as well. if you can't do that, I usually measure my cooked meat at 6 ounces.

maureen kempster
02-10-2014, 06:12 PM
that's what I've been doing but for some reason today I thought maybe I was doing it wrong

thanks Ems

ColoradoCarol
02-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Schenectady, 65X65, Jendilly:

I TOTALLY agree with all of your sentiments. Well said.

I have endeavored since I started this journey in July to not cheat and to follow the protocol to the letter. I have a lot of motivations for this including cost and the desire to get this weight off once and for all. Additionally, if I opened myself up to the possibility to cheat, I was setting myself up for possible failure.

Has it been hard? Heck yes! Many times I would have liked a drink, but I new that at a point in the future I would be able to and phase 1 "isn't forever".

Thank you to every one who has provided info and support to me in my journey. I can only hope that I am as much support to you as you are to me.

Carol

maureen kempster
02-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Schenectady I agree with you totally - I have to follow "IP to a "T" or I'll be right where I was prior to joining the program - just a bit over 2 weeks ago - that's the story of my life - I never finish anything - well it's time for me to make a change - I'm feeling great and I like the feeling - you are an inspiration - thank you

maureen

ssdlturtle
02-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Schenectady, 65X65, Jendilly

Staying 100% is the way to go, weight comes off faster and able to stay motivated more, at least I do. Have done every diet out there and this is the only one that has truly worked for me. All of you are great to support and encourage and that is greatly appreciated.

All have a great night and stay warm, we are to be 9-10 below zero again to night so tired of cold, don't mind snow, but when is this cold can't stay warm. Since I have lost wt.

Have a great day tomorrow and motivated and on target with IP

jendilly
02-10-2014, 09:32 PM
So, I ate a Big Mac and Fries tonight for dinner. Not really, but it was the Big Mac in a bowl and turnip fries. I've felt more adventurous with food, so I bought turnips and rhubarb today. Made the rhubarb from the recipe video I got from IP the other day...super good! Cooked it mostly all the way down and it was like warm applesauce. The turnip fries were good, too. Just wish I could figure out how to make them crisper. I'll play.

I'm finding ways to be creative, make some new things so I don't get bored, and have fun foods. Oh, I also picked up the chocolate/hazelnut tea decaf herbal tea. YUM!! I won't cheat on IP. To me, it's just not worth it. I'm paying A LOT for the food on plan and I want to stay moving downwards on the scale. I'm so happy to have all of you here to continually provide ideas and support.

TravelingChick
02-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Staying OP is my goal too, and I am 100% IP. I understand why people do alternative plans because the cost is prohibitive. I am hoping to stay OP for as long as I can afford it.

sweetenuf
02-10-2014, 10:44 PM
When I started IP I gave up things like my creamer, that I have never (not once) given up while dieting. After a bad 2013 with health and gaining 60 lbs I knew no matter what I would be 100% OP and I know it hasn't been but 4 weeks on Wed but I haven't cheated once (even with creamer still in the house. It is only going to be 100% for me.

calee
02-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Thank you all for the inspiration on this thread today. I want to be 100% and get to my goal. I feel like I've come so far and don't want to give up on myself.

I'm hoping to do this with support here because I can't really afford a clinic. But I'll do whatever it takes!

Today's hunger on day 4 was a little better than yesterday. I did add the 4th packet because I exercised 90 minutes.

I had fun baking turnip chips in the oven for dinner.

Vippysue
02-11-2014, 06:26 AM
Happy Monday to all!
I'd like to share a quick note of a few Good things that have happened to me since going OP ...

My bras finally fit with out bulging out of them :) YES!

My husband gave me a hug and I really felt smaller in his arms !!!
Oh baby! That felt soooo good!

I love jicama ! (Works like smooth move tea for me ;) )

In one month I'm going to be a Godmother for my niece' son. Besides being able to be his godmother, I'm so thrilled I started IP in Jan! I'll be looking younger and slimmer in his Christening photos ... Woo Hoo!

Thanks for listening

Congrats on all your successes!

Would you mind sharing how you prepare your jicama?

Thanks.