Carb Counters - Sea change happening with high carbs. In five years will be like cigarettes

diamondgeog
02-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Low carb high fat was the conventional wisdom for centuries. The fad high carb fats are bad 'wisdom' is on its last legs.

For a variety of reasons. Brave researchers are standing up to governments and industry. Governments themselves are standing up to industry as healthcare costs start to rival and even exceed the economic activîty of food industry.

But most importantly 'us'. Social media, message boards, peer to peer sharing. Facebook, twitter there are just too many successes on low carb, too many failures on conventional diets being reported.

362to262
02-11-2014, 11:06 AM
I agree Diamond. It's really heartwarming to see how much bad press sugar is getting these days. We just need to keep supporting those who expose high carbs for what they are, and wait for society to change.

Thanks for sharing that link, I am listening to Kassie's podcast right now.

Helena

kaplods
02-11-2014, 12:10 PM
I hope you're right, but I've seen the popularity of low-carb and other diet philosophies come and go too many times to have much faith that any have lasting power. Just in my 48 year lifetime, I've watched the diet pendulum swing through low-fat, low-calorie, low-carb, and back again at least half a dozen times, and have studied an additional 40 years of weight loss theory following the same pattern.

I'm not convinced that low-carb, anti-sugar will "stick" this time any more than it has in the last 90 years.

Currently, the low-carb and paleo trend has been gaining and retaining popularity longer than it has in the past, but I'm not convinced that the pendulum won't eventually swing back again.

Most of my life I mostly failed at weight loss, because I quite logically assumed that the best path must lay in the middle of the pendulum's swing. The middle path was also the position supported by my physicians, and when I did try extreme low-carb I would get and stay violently ill (the symptoms worsened after two weeks and I was never able to make it much past three).

I think I've found my "sweet spot" on the pendulum, though I still have trouble staying in the zone. Still, for the first time ever in my life, I have gone ten years without major regain. In the past, I think 18 months was my record for keeping any lost weight off.

So even though I still have at least 150 lbs to lose, the 90+ lbs I've lost and kept off and the non-gaining trend, is still an unprecedented success for me, and I can credit carb-reduction, especially wheat elimination for a good deal of that success.

Still, I'm not convinced that strict low-carb is necessary for everyone. I think that's why the pendulum has swung back and forth so many times in the last 115 years. The scientific community has been working under the probably-false assumption that there is a single best diet for all people in all circumstances. Thus, when they try to find the best diet, they keep coming up with different answers or inconclusive results, based on the populations they are studying.

Until genetic, lifestyle, and various environmental factors and their interactions are considered, I expect the pendulum to continue swinging.

Ubee
02-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Nice job Larry! Kids are the best motivation.
Kaplods AMEN on the different ways for different people!

diamondgeog
02-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the kind words both. I am hoping social media, twitter, Facebook, message boards will be the critical missing ingrident this time.

People like Tim Noakes can get his message to tens of thousands beyond people who might not have bought a book or hear him lecture. He out some interviews up on YouTube. That never would have happened in 70s.

Kaplods totally agree multi faceted. And interrelated. Cutting grain carbs, for me, made me much less lethargic.

I am going to put on my 'cynic hat' here also. Or I suppose 'realist' hat depending upon your viewpoint.

There is also something else a little 'darker' happening this time. In the 70s and 80s there was not as much damage...yet to people and our healthcare system and healthcare costs.

No one got together, because no one had to. But for a long time many powerful groups benefited mightily from the status quo. Wheat and corn farmers benefited. Food processing companies benefited. Pesticide companies benefited. And then down the line hospital and especially drug companies benefited.

Do they want what happened to America to happen? Not necessarily. But they were certainly eager to profit from it. Well government isn't to me the driving force here, they are too beholden to companies power. But when the powers behind the scene see just how much healthcare is getting uncontrollable and when that starts to impact bottom lines negatively more than the profits they are getting from the current status quo. Well that can also influence change.

362to262
02-11-2014, 07:20 PM
I was just going to address Kaplods's observations about the in and out of fashion aspect of lowcarbing by pointing out the commercial interest, when I found that a later poster took the words out of my mouth:

"many powerful groups benefited mightily from the status quo. Wheat and corn farmers benefited. Food processing companies benefited. Pesticide companies benefited. And then down the line hospital and especially drug companies benefited."

This is why the truth keeps being suppressed. But I think the tide has now turned. The word is out and Kaplods I can assure you that now that the population is better informed, through being able to do their own research on the net, they will NEVER be able to convince us again that sugar is good for us.

Also, Kaplods, I think you are overegging it -- we only went from low carb to high carb and back to low carb. It didn't go back and forth multiple times (I am 55).

kaplods
02-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Also, Kaplods, I think you are overegging it -- we only went from low carb to high carb and back to low carb. It didn't go back and forth multiple times (I am 55).

Perhaps this is true in the UK, and even in some regions of the USA, but the trends in America have indeed cycled multiple times. I am soon to be 48, but as a voracious reader of weight loss material, dating back as far as the 1890's, I've seen many more cycles reflected in those materials.

diamondgeog
03-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Great article with experts around the world advocating low carb.

http://www.examiner.com/article/physicians-defend-low-carb-diets-saturated-fats-have-been-unfairly-demonized