40-Somethings - February 2014 40-Somethings' Chat

View Full Version : February 2014 40-Somethings' Chat

newleaf123
02-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Please check back for all the awesome posts made at the end of the January chat! Sorry I haven't been chatty of late. But I'm sure I will talk up a blue streak soon.

Sum38
02-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the new chat! Your ears must have been burning :)

Sum38
02-05-2014, 09:35 AM
((Hug)), what a wonderful day you had! Congratulations!!! I am gad you made that hard choice, it must be freeing to know that you have to worry less. :hug:

Magicsusan
02-05-2014, 09:47 AM
Oh, Heidi, that's wonderful!

Mrs Snark
02-05-2014, 10:02 AM
Heidi, YAY for "no evidence of disease"! That's wonderful!

Mrs Snark
02-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Great job on that spin class Sept2012! I used to spin when I lived closer to a gym, that is an EXCELLENT workout!

Congrats on that 8 lb loss Abbi! :bravo:

Carma -- excellent job sticking to your plan for Super Bowl, well done!

sept2012
02-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Heidi! That is a relief and such wonderful news! Makes me so happy for you!

Mrs Snark - THANKS - just so glad the first one is done now time to keep going

Sum - know what you mean about not being able to "BE" outside. No wonder there is a thing called the "winter blues" me and my dog tramp both have them :) (him moreso as I have not been able to walk him much this winter)

I must say that I am enjoying the conversations that happen in this arena. I just read something another user posted and all I could think to myself is a lack of maturity makes you respond like that. And then it irriated me and then I had to remind myself its not my business to get upset with another user that I don't even know. I had to say "joy - take what you need to know and let the rest roll off your shoulders"

Chubby mum
02-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Heidi, that's fantastic news!

soon2beskinnyCarma
02-05-2014, 08:38 PM
Heidi: tbats awesome
Sept: woo hoo on spin class.
Abbi: keep that weightloss going.
Hi to everyone else.

mezmerelda
02-06-2014, 11:16 AM
So glad to hear that things are looking good, Heidi.

I'm back from vacation - have been for a few days. I have finally caught up enough to post. No weight gain or loss in the past few weeks, which I'm ok with. I would prefer the temps to be in the 80s here like they were in BVI, but I'm happy to be back home w/my dogs. (And my husband, I suppose. Although he was with me.)

Kicking it back into high gear this weekend and starting P90X3 (doing the lean version) on Saturday.

Sum38
02-06-2014, 12:20 PM
No energy today. I think I have been pushing myself too hard. So I only did my weight lifting routine and I am taking a rest day from cardio.

We have our Colorado trip coming up in a week or so. I wish I was going to go and visit Michelle instead :D It will be fun to visit Vail and Aspen, but going to a snowy place is not exciting me this year. Wonder why :rolleyes:

We are staying at my husband's friend's house most of the nights, I think we only have 2 planned nights at hotels. It will be nice to have a kitchen and be able to eat regular meals instead of eating out each meal. I might stand a change of not gaining weight whilst vacationing :crossed: -- Since we are driving, I am planning on cooking a whole bunch of casseroles and stews to take with us. And in the Thule box they will stay nice and cold :) -- DS is bringing a friend along; it will be so much fun for the boys.

I think I am going to take a nap. Why not?

newleaf123
02-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I feel very fortunate in my life.

junem
02-07-2014, 02:52 PM
In 5 weeks I will no longer be 40-something. How did this happen? Tempus fugit, and all that.

I don't post here that much, but I do lurk around fairly often and draw inspiration from everyone here. I also find the weekly weigh-in very valuable. So I was thinking I would stick around after the big day, and not "graduate" to the 50+ group.

Any thoughts? Am I just in denial about my aging? (oh yeah, and in denial about my last 10-15 lbs)

sept2012
02-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Stay ahahaah! Who cares..

Mrs Snark
02-07-2014, 05:27 PM
Junem - I think that is what the -something part of 40-somethings means. You'll be that little extra something! :)

Definitely stay!

Sum - we head to Colorado next month and are hoping to see snow, lol. :snow4: You'd definitely be warmer here! And we can seat 8 people in our kayaks (dh seems to collect kayaks!), so..... ;)

Magicsusan
02-08-2014, 06:35 AM
Absolutely, Junem; call it fortyeleven and stay as long as you like. I'm sure there are lovely people in the 50+ group as well, but I totally get you staying where you already know everyone. After all, these "age" divisions are meant to address different concerns of different ages (I'm certainly worrying a lot more about my potential loose skin now than I did in my 20s, :lol: ), so if hanging out in the 40+ group a bit (or a lot) longer gets you what you need, stay! Anyway, a couple more years and I'll be there too! :carrot:

Sept2012 (and others) I remember how excited I got when I first joined 3fc- so many people taking spinning classes! I love to spin! Especially angora and silk... Derrrrrr.... :dizzy:

Everybody else: I want spring! :tantrum::flow1:

sept2012
02-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Bleepity bleep I am not sure what is going on with me... I was losing now I am not. Today was up .5 I was the same weight three days so I thought this am I would wake up and have the relief on the scale..... Pisses me off cause I have been working out e.veryday and this is what pisses me off about it. Logically I know in the end muscle weighs more than fat but come on after 7 day.s of just walking and one spin class I should see some movement on the scale and in the right direction... Did I mention it's pissing me off?

Sum38
02-08-2014, 05:21 PM
LOL, sept2012 and sorry at the same time! :hug: -- Perhaps your muscles are trying to repair themselves and are holding water? You should have a glorious whoosh in your future!

FatAbbi
02-08-2014, 10:47 PM
Still on track. At a plateau, yuck. Staying focused! Lotsa good news all around it seems. YAY!

FatAbbi
02-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Using myfitnesspal to track food. My daughter gave me a fitbit zip yesterday, going to use it yo track movement. Anyone try these?

Sum38
02-09-2014, 01:27 PM
I use them both, and love them, Abbi. It gets to be a tad bit addicting :) I try to get in 10000-15000 steps per day.

FatAbbi
02-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Certainly shows me how little i move lol

sept2012
02-09-2014, 06:23 PM
I am in the process of getting the nike fuel band for that too... So interested to see what I do on a daily,weekly,monthly basis. I use nike app right one to track my walking but if I am on the treadmill it sucks.... So I want something that tracks the treadmill too

FatAbbi
02-09-2014, 06:34 PM
I find myself getting a lil insane about eating and movement lol these tools are insane.

kelijpa
02-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Hey JuneM and the rest of the 40 somethings, jut wanted to say Hi :wave: I still come over and read what's going on with you guys, there's a great group here, the 50+ seems a little bit older group, I'm kind of in between, I wish there was a 50 somethings, not just 50+ like that's it, but enjoyed staying right with you guys 'til 51+ it's all about how you feel, right?!

I'm hanging out in the weight loss support and chicks up for a challenge for now, just like everything else about our weight loss journey, stick with what works and when things change look around and try something different, you might end up here again or somewhere else.

You guys (chicks) are great, I'm so happy to see the forum moving on and the core group hanging in, wishing you all continued success, no matter what age "label" the 40 somethings rock!

best to all :sunny:

soon2beskinnyCarma
02-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Too tired for personals but I tried a stuffed mushroom/mushroom tartlet recipe that was awesome so I figured I would share. I had a demarle cooking show and my friend made a few things. If I had been responsible I would have plugged in the recipe into my fitness pal and figured out the calories. However I didn't. So I am guessing my calories at the party and we will see what the day showed in the morning. Totally got my exercise in.
Abbi: I have Myfitness pal and I use a fitbit force.

Here is the recipe link.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/p320x320/1513701_696258177072200_814984266_n.jpg

FatAbbi
02-09-2014, 09:11 PM
I made gluten free brownies. Wow. Amazing.

sept2012
02-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Hahaha Sum you were right finally went down this morning... I was about to go NUTTS! Well guess what we are under another storm watch. Our new Weather Task Force has stated everyone needs to be off the freeways by 3PM today. Hahaha I guess we learned our lesson! From tonight to Thursday we have snow, sleet and ice. I actually don't mind it, but I don't have far to drive so I can walk if need be.

Mrs Snarky - I have always wanted to go to Colorado. I am not sure why I have never been skiing there. I lived in CA my whole life and CO was juts a hop skip and jump flight :) have fun!

FatAbbi - Love it when we are addicted to healthy things. It takes me awhile to get into habits i.e. posting every day, entering my food, making sure I track my miles - but when I finally get the hang of it I am somewhat addicted too.

kelijpa - stay around here. I think the more the merrier especially when you click no matter the age. I have roamed around the boards too and I feel like this is the best fit for me. These ladies are amazing and inspiring. What I like is there is not a lot of *****ing (female doging hahahaha so silly you can't say Bxxch)... BUT there is a lot of DOING. I need that inspiration.

Sum38
02-10-2014, 09:32 AM
June and Keli, you are part of the gang. It would be lonely without you! So stay!

Keli I was just thinking about you. I saw these people on snow shoes that were jogging!!! :eek: Looked HARD!

sept2012 :woohoo: on your weight loss. My TOM started and usually it brings a whoosh; waiting :D

Abbi Share the recipe, please? :drool:

Carma Those look yummy. :drool: Congrats on getting your exercise in. Get some rest!!

Susan I want spring too! :tantrum: :D My car is covered with more of that white stuff. UGH!

Mrs. S Where is CO are you going, again? We are doing Aspen, Vail and Brekenridge (and one more resort I can not remember now).

Sum38
02-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Today is my final interview for the hospital volunteer position. I really had to jump through hoops to get a volunteer position, amazing. They must have lots of applicants. They loved the fact that I speak Finnish; they don't have anyone who has that skill. They also liked how much volunteer work I have done in the past. I have volunteered my time since kids started school; now that is paying off :) Once I wrote everything down, my resume was "impressive", I had dabbled little bit everything from concessions to banking to chaperoning. I was even technical help for the computer lab :D

Later on I will get my treadmill walk and swim in. Scale is not moving. TOM is bad this month; it was a few days late and boy I am paying for it. Usually TOM brings a whoosh, but not this month :( Maybe I have nothing to whoosh. I know my weight loss has reached a point where it is just plain fat loss, no more water weight to be shed....

Everyone have a peaceful and productive day! :grouphug:

FatAbbi
02-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Betty Crocker makes Gluten Free brownie...amazing!

Ok, so I have been closely following my caloric intake for almost 3 weeks. The scale has not moved in nearly 10 days. I am beyond frustrated. I feel good and it seems I am smaller, but scale...nothing. I eat from 890-1300 calories a day. I eat when I am hungry and do not eat anything after 7. I hate this battle. I really hate this battle.

I am not a big believer in the when you eat to little you "gain or hold" your weight. That biologically does not make any sense. I have been burning more than I am eating, yet, nothing.

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH fdjkal;jflk;ajfd;a fkdj;aljfd;a

Sum38
02-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Abbi I read that when fat cells empty they fill up with water and some people may even see a gain on their scale. These cells may hold water awhile.... Hopefully you are losing fat and just retaining water.

I don't believe that eat too little stuff either. -- I did everything right in December, ate well and exercised and I stayed at 154/155 for the entire month...then the whoosh happened and I have lost 14 pounds since Xmas. I believe in that water theory :)

mezmerelda
02-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Happy Monday! I am totally sore and wiped out. P90X3 is fun, but I'd been taking it easy (ie, no weights or funky workouts) in about a month, and I hurt all over. It's a good hurt, though.

I've been doing pretty well with food, although I'm not seeing any movement. I'm back to things, and am working on Paleo and Alkaline foods. We'll see what happens.

Interviewing people today for one of my open positions. Someone needs to teach people how to write resumes. If I was still in Chicago (meaning I'd have 1000 applicants for 1 job) I'd be throwing so many of these out because they are poorly written.

Apple Blossom
02-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Hi everyone! I posted here for a short bit in Dec. I am back for some accountability. I've been pretty good about exercising but terrible about eating. I am hoping to lose a bit before I go on my trip to NY in April. (Going to see my baby nephew but might see some high school friends who I haven't seen since college. Must look good!!) I am starting SB phase 1 today, since I once was able to lose 8 pounds on it. Of course my rowing coach had us on the machines this morning for 80 (EIGHTY!!) minutes and I'm expecting I will be very hungry later. Hello celery and hummus...I'll be checking in daily I hope. Have a great day!

Sum38
02-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Apple Blossom welcome back. -- I just did the SB phase 1 early this year and lost some weight (about 10-12 pounds since Jan1st). I have been following SB for the most part, except I eat full fat dairy items and don't eat any sugar substitutes. I actually have not had any sugar except what I get from fruits and dairy. I barely eat any dairy, but like I said, when I do, it is the full fat kind. I am sure real hardcore SB followers would shun me :)

soon2beskinnyCarma
02-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Abbie when you eat to little your body goes into starvation mode. Your metabolism slows down. Keep it over 1200 calories.

FatAbbi
02-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Starvation even after a period of time, weight is lost. That's how starved folks come to be. I'm hope a woooosh happens before Europe in a month lol

Sum38
02-11-2014, 07:58 AM
The Whoosh Fairy visited me... 139.2 this morning :dance: A new and exciting decade. This decade will bring size 6 back into my life. I have lost 15.8 pounds since Xmas. I am totally geeked about it.

I also got the volunteer position; I am happy to start that journey.

A good day :)

Magicsusan
02-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Aiiiiiigh!
I've just realised how many calories are in my salad sauce.
I bloody love that sauce.

Most pre-made dressings in Switzerland are disgusting. I finally found one that doesn't taste like mayonnaise with sugar in it and it has 468 calories in 100 grams. I think I'm eating about 50 grams on my salad. (I :love: salad- you know those bags of prewashed salad that are supposed to be for two people? I eat them. Nom nom.)

Apple Blossom- 80 minutes! :cp: That's amazing! We hired a rowboat on our last holiday, and I was knackered after about 20!

Sum- that's fab! Congratulations. Being busy and happy is the best way to stay physically fit, I find....

Abbi, I never found that kind of thing very sustainable, though- It always jumped back on as soon as my head was turned, it seemed.

Mezmerelda, what's their number one error? I'm probably doing it :lol: I'm so unemployable, it's hilarious.

Carma, Kelijpa and everybody else, is it spring yet? I want spring.

FatAbbi
02-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Three weeks of calorie counting is the first time I have done it in my life. I have been using myfitnesspal for the last 12 days or so. For the week I have a 7300 calories under caloric goal. Each night I close my log it tells me I will be 150 in 5 weeks, yet nearly 2 weeks in, as of this morning I was 157, a pound GAIN. So right now I am angry, disappointed, and frustrated.

I keep hoping a whoosh will happen, but at this point feeling defeated and considering seeing a doctor to make sure nothing is off, however, knowing full well, nothing is off. This is a battle I will fight for the rest of my life and honestly am not real sure I care to win it at this point.

Pity party of one.

Sum38
02-11-2014, 02:27 PM
That is frustrating Abbi! Hang in there! You are probably losing fat, your scale is just not showing it. Have you taken measurements?

Susan Are you American or English living in Switzerland? My sister lived in Switzerland for 10 years.

mezmerelda Paleo interests me too. I will look forward to getting your updates.

I measured myself this morning and I lost inches! :woohoo: I lost inch of each; bust, waist and hips. I had another NSV as well. I have been trying to fit into this particular dress for ages and it finally zipped up this morning. I need to lose a bit more of my bust to have it fit properly, but I am mere 1/2 inch away :)

Somehow I have turned my body into this fat burning machine. I had one little hick-up with my 5 pound mystery gain, but it went away in 5 days. Otherwise I have been trending downward quite nicely since Xmas. I am fully expecting this rapid weight loss to end soon.

Today was my heavy exercise day; 4.7 mile walk, weights and swim. I will also take my furbaby for a 3.3 mile hike. -- I will be eating 1800 calories today. It is a steak night :drool:

Apple Blossom
02-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Abbi, are you including exercise calories? If so, make sure that you are only logging exercise that really feels like exercise. (Makes you sweat) Some people log silly stuff like housework. No one ever got skinny doing housework!!;) Also, are you doing the same exercises all of the time? Try something different! Are you eating the same stuff? Add variety. I log on lose it and some people on the forums don't log exercise calories at all.

Sum38
02-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Good point Apple. I never eat my exercise calories back. I am set eating either 1560 or 1800 cals per day.

FatAbbi
02-11-2014, 04:04 PM
I just got a fitbit zip 3 days ago so the logging of that has just begun. But I definitely have been having a 100-500 caloric deficit daily for 3 weeks as of Thursday. I feel smaller, but today scale is 1 lb up. Makes zero sense. I may not weigh in this Thursday because I do not want to be that mad HAHAH maybe I will weight in and take measurements.

I am going to change up the food and see if that helps. just ick, ew, yuck. crap. LOL

mezmerelda
02-11-2014, 04:30 PM
OK, new thing for me. I did the P90X3 yoga workout and...wait for it...I loved it! That is so weird. I am so not a yoga person. This one was quick (30 minutes) and felt wonderful. I should have foam rolled before hand as my hamstrings were sore and tights.

I see all sorts of errors on resumes. The main one I see that drives me nuts is using different fonts and sizes between different jobs. It's ok to have the Company/title line in a different font or size than the rest of the job, but if you used arial narrow 10pt on the description of one job, you should use it in the others. Otherwise, you're showing me that you don't write well and should perhaps go to that Zoolander school or something. I am picky. I've also been surprised that people show up wearing something other than a suit to an interview. Then don't ask me any questions during the interview. And don't send me a "thank you" email follow up w/in 24 hours. Seriously, I must be out of touch or something. When I was interviewing for positions in the last 2 years, I wore a suit (which I hate), asked questions, and sent emails when I got home that night. Oh well.

OK, diet stuff. I like the paleo options. It takes the grains out of my diet that give me issues, and it lets me eat w/o being totally hungry. It also helps me break my sugar addictions, but without emphasizing foods with artificial sweeteners like SB does. I'm also trying to eat alkalizing foods. I found that after 4+ weeks on SB, my body (and mind) was a bit sluggish. This seems to be helping. Granted, catching up on sleep helped too. And eating mainly seafood while on vacation vs meat or other things.

Sum38
02-11-2014, 04:39 PM
mezmerelda I have been following SBD, except I don't use sugar subs (I have been avoiding sugar all together) and I eat full fat milk products. -- I am a tad bit iffy on substituting butter to some chemically processed spray. -- So I guess I am not really SBD compliant :) -- I must follow some sort of a diet, but I don't know what to call it. I eat all real foods, nothing processed, nothing fake and nothing low fat.

Would I qualify for Paleo with this menu...Or maybe I am flat belly cure. Dunno :dunno:

B - orange and egg
L - Salad w/avocado, tomato, cuke, pepper, onion, chicken and dressing
D - Steak, veggies sauteed in evoo
S - apple w/ natural PB, string cheese (that is iffy)

Sum38
02-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Oh and I totally get it about dressing for interviews.... so sad. I was at the Volunteer Interview Session. I was the only one that was dressed up. I know lots of the other volunteer wannabees were young nursing students, but to show up in spanx and Ugg Slippers...not kosher.

So when the time came to interview everyone. Mine took about a minute, the kids were sweating for 10 minute grueling session :D

Jenn0507
02-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Hi Ladies,
I've kept off 9lbs and I'm proud of that as I am still working on eating because I'm hungry and not eating because of an emotion.

Here is where I could use come guidance. I have found two skirts that I really want, but I'm thinking of buying them a size or two smaller than where I am to encourage myself to exercise regularly.:exercise:

Apple shape --Currently 230lbs, 5'9" size 18/20. Goal 180lbs. When I was at 180lbs in the past, I was about 12/14. So I'm not sure what size to order as I want to use them as a motivation to exercise regularly which is where I struggle right now.

So my question is size 14 or 16(they are pencil skirts so I figure they will be fairly easy to have altered but still undecided about size):?:

Any advise?:?:

Magicsusan
02-12-2014, 04:40 AM
Abbi, that sounds so discouraging. :hug: Do hang in there, though; like Sum says, sometimes the effort and the scale just don't seem to be in sync. Who was it that made a great post about graphing your weight loss in order to look at the bigger picture and the overall (downward!) trend in order to put things in perspective? Anybody? I have such a dodgy memory!

Sum, I'm American, but I have lived out of the US longer than in it now. Where in Switzerland was she living?
I envy you your inch-loss. I am soooo uneven it's really discouraging. My upper arms are still so big, I'm wearing a size (or two) larger than I would need to for my torso, and the "upper bulge" on my stomach is much, much smaller, but the lower one hasn't shrunk at all and it looks ridiculous now in comparison! Well, I feel a lot better than I did a year ago, and am doing my regular walkies again, which I'm sure is building muscle and burning fat :carrot:

Jenn, that's a good question about the skirt. I don't know how fast you're losing weight, but my gut feeling is you don't want it hanging in your closet for too long because 1) it can start to haunt you if your progress isn't as quick as you'd hoped and 2) if it hangs around for too long, it's not as new or special any more, if that makes sense. Also, not trying to demotivate, but your body shape may change a bit too; what I mean is, the skirt may simply not suit you, even though it would be the right size. This is the voice of experience- I bought some super-cute 3/4 jeans to motivate me, lost the weight, the "fit," but just looked awful on me. Eventually I put them in the charity bin without ever having worn them because they got too big!
An alternative might be to cut pictures of skirts you like out of catalogues and make a collage or pin board and set aside- no idea of skirt prices in the US- 5 dollars for every pound or something? You could treat yourself to a new one every 20 pounds or so? Just a thought...

FatAbbi
02-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Yep I have everything graphed. Its been a long road from 237lbs, so I should be happy with 156, but I just am not. I am sticking with it because I do feel good, but I just want to see progress! I keep repeating that i have lost 8 lbs this year already, which is good. I just want to be skinny tomorrow, is that too much to ask?!?!? HAHAH

mezmerelda
02-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Sum - you wouldn't have dairy (at least regularly) on Paleo. You'd be able to eat grassfed meats, fish/seafood, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds, and healthy oils. The general rule (from what I've seen) is 3 non-paleo meals per week.

Here's today's interesting resume/applicant story - received an application, including resume, from a tech school student almost 2 years out of college. Content issues aside (you're maybe 20, so why is your resume 2 pages long?), he saved the document with the edits/markups visible. So I can see the comments, changes, etc. I want to call him and tell him, but I've been told I cannot. I think I will call his career center later from my cell. I might give a student name, but I will not tell them what company I'm with. It helps that my cell is a Chicago area number so they won't know where I work. Someone needs to help him.

sept2012
02-12-2014, 03:54 PM
OMG that gave me a great laugh. Poor guy!

sept2012
02-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Sooooo... are in the midst of snow and ice for the last 12 or so hours.... super fun. Noone is on the streets. My company paid for hotels for employees and there are a few of us stuck in a office where the phones are not ringing anymore hahaha. I have stuck to it today - last night I drank too much wine. But I didn't eat bad and I did workout and I am working out tonight, eating right and drinking more wine. hahahah its what you do when you are trapped right?

FatAbbi
02-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Snapped ans ate 1588 calories today. In turn walked 8k steps and burnt 1673 calories.... BAM!

ohiofreespirit
02-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm Lisa from Ohio. I am 46 years old and losing some weight. I am in the right mindset to do this. It's taken me a while but I am taking this in weight loss in mini goals.

It's great to be here.

soon2beskinnyCarma
02-13-2014, 04:55 AM
Welcome Lisa from Ohio.

So yesterday went up 3 lbs which didn't make sense as I controlled my calorie intake and ran. I figured it was TOM which was yet to show. So this morning 206.4 lbs which may mean I could see my challenge.
We have our neighborhood Valentines day party tonight. If it doesn't get cancelled due to the snow. I bought valentines cupcakes and am going to make those mushroom tartlet.

Mezmerelda: so I take it your nowhere near ready to hire him?
I had to do a weird online internal resume for the hospital I work for. I will admit I probably would be hopeless at a real resume. It's been 15 years. Thankfully I interview well and have a lot of doctors in my corner.

Abbi: hang in there. Are you on the fit it forum so you can compete with people? I had a retiree that was beating me and I kicked it into high gear. I increase my step goal by 500 each week. Currently it's 13000. I don't go to bed until it's reached.

Sept2012: hopefully your surviving the snow. It's years like this that make me regret not getting snow shoes.

Jenn: I would go with the 16. A pencil skirt can be easily tailored to smaller.

Susan: my lower bulge hasn't shrunk at all either. I still need to measure. Debating joining a curves so that they track it for me. Maybe I will do a 1 week trial.

Everyone else :wave:

ohiofreespirit
02-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Hi everyone.

I ordered some shirts online, 3x's and 4x's thinking they would fit me. Man, they were too big and I mean way too big. I called the company and ordered 2x's and made arrangements to return the ones that were too big. It's funny how everything runs differently.

I hope you all have a great day.

Sum38
02-13-2014, 05:04 PM
Howdy neighbor, ohiofreespirit. A Michigander here :) Welcome!

So guys, do you think it would be too OC to bring my scale along to my vacation?? I would like to keep myself in check through out the vacation.

I shopped for the trip, I bought all food here, that way I don't need to find a grocery store right when we get there. (We are driving and we have a big SUV and a Thule box) -- I am also cooking pulled pork, my famous baked mac'n'cheese :drool: and Shepperd's pie. Easy "to go" meals to heat up. I think I will only have to cook once or twice once we get there. More time for me to enjoy vacation as well. Plus boys will be starving after a day on the slopes. Hot and ready meals will be welcomed.

I hope that I won't gain during my trip. I will be able to exercise a few times when we are staying at hotels and the rest of the days, I can go on hikes. I will miss my weight/swim/aerobic routine. I hope my condition won't deteriorate too much :( Perhaps my body welcomes a rest period and I will feel stronger :eek:

MarleneV
02-14-2014, 12:24 AM
Sum, if the hotels don't have scales in the gyms, I'd consider taking it for as long as you are going to be gone. Last summer I took mine on a month long cross country trip.

I actually continued to lose on our trip, I had a few nice meals out, but stayed mostly on program. I was too new to hitting goal and too scared of gaining back to go far off.

newleaf123
02-14-2014, 04:13 PM
Ok, quick post.

sum since you asked, leave the scale at home! That's my vote. I think you left already, I wonder what you decided.

ohio welcome!!

mezmerelda totally hear you on people's lack if preparedness. I will say, though, I don't wear a suit now in the 2010s; seems outdated, at least for the kinds of jobs and industries I've been in. There was a point in time when the job market was really good and I was highly marketable, so I decided to wear a suit with slacks rather than skirt (1996) and I remember saying, "if the job requires that I wear nylons for an interview, then it's a job I don't want!" Ack, to be that employable and confident again... Times sure have changed.

junem
02-14-2014, 07:09 PM
SUM, Leave the scale at home!!!

You are going up to 8000 or 10,000 ft from maybe 600 ft above sea level. This is gonna mess with your water retention. Plus you will be outside and skiing presumably. You are gonna MAJORLY burn calories, but the elevation issues may mask that, weight-wise. Enjoy the mountains. Don't let the scale be your tyrant. What is weight anyways? Just your relationship to gravity. I think it was 2fatcats that said that here once.

Don't bother with the scale! But eat well. You know how to do that. I know you do.

junem
02-14-2014, 07:47 PM
I also think I should mention that the elevation of ski resorts can have really deleterious effects on us Midwesterners. I once spent 18 hours sick in bed in Breckinridge. In retrospect, it was altitude sickness, and I probably should have gone to lower elevation, but I was too na´ve to know.

If any one of your family feels flu-ishly nauseous and/or their heart is pounding, just be aware it could be the altitude.

Sorry for the downer.

Have fun !!! Don't miss the backside of Vail. That is some of my favorite skiing on the planet! (ok, I haven't skied that much of the planet, just North America)

Magicsusan
02-16-2014, 03:59 AM
The crocuses and snow drops are coming up! Spring is coming!

Huzzah!

I have resumed regular walkies (I don't go if the temp is below freezing- I broke my foot on the cellar stairs a few years ago and if there's an ice patch to be found and slipped on, I'm pretty reliable, lol) and am really loving it. I'm considering taking up jogging. What do you all think?

Sum38
02-16-2014, 03:11 PM
In Colorado, posting this from my phone. No patience for personals. I hiked 6 difficult miles yesterday. 3 miles uphill now my hamms are sore.

Magicsusan
02-18-2014, 12:04 AM
Go Sums!

:(

I realised when I got home from my walkies yesterday that my wii fit pedometer had fallen off somewhere! Waaaaaaaaaah!
Also, I think I'm gonna need new shoes if I run. I'm pretty sure mine are shot...

Sum38
02-18-2014, 10:56 AM
I left the scale home :-) But friend's house has a scale and I am up a pound. Not too bad considering I am on a vacation. The altitude is kind of hard to deal with, I get so winded easy,and iI tthought I was in good condition.
I did not work out at the hotel, but I am getting a lot of walking in.

Weather has been sunny, boys are disappointed that there is no powder

Apple Blossom
02-18-2014, 02:36 PM
I have been having trouble sticking to any kind of plan. I'm good for a few days and then fizzle out for a few. Any tips for getting over the 4th day hump? My kids have all been taking turns being sick, so that takes a bit out of me, but I feel like I am basically super lazy lately. I lost a teeney bit, which made me happy and inspired yesterday, but I'm back to bleh today. It is probably really important to be good today, because if the scale goes back up I will be sad. :(
Salad for dinner...
Sum, I am so jealous of your vacation! I need one bad. Have fun!

Sum38
02-20-2014, 03:40 PM
I wish I had some advice Apple, I'd be a millionaire :-) I guess it just takes a lot of all power. I have been carb free since the beginning of the year and I don't have cravings anymore.
I just found some Finnish licorice and bought some about too hours ago and I don't even want any. Old me would have been all over the sweets.

Still in Colorado. We finally got some snow, about a foot at the hills. Boys are so happy. I liked the sunny days.... Lol... Today I am cold.
We are in Vail and the mountain looks really nice. I liked the village part.

I broke my ankle five years ago and I have so much hardware in it that I can't wear a ski boot. There are only two things I can't do, ski and run. DH wants me to have the hardware take out that I could ski again... It would mean eight weeks in a cast. I may do it once I am at goal weight.

Our friends scale is being very kind to me. According to it I have lost 1 1/2 pounds here. I will wait and see what my home scale says before I get all excited. The scale may be totally off. I just wish for no gain or at least no more than a pound.

mezmerelda
02-21-2014, 02:23 PM
So, what's everyone doing this weekend?

Magicsusan
02-23-2014, 03:59 AM
Derrrrr.... Well, that explains why you're not skiing, Sum; I just asked you in another thread before I got around to reading this one, so feel free to ignore the question. Snowshoeing?

Apple Blossom- what's the weather like where you are? This has a huge effect on my energy levels and 'in a rut' feelings... If I'm feeling "bleh" I go inspect the moss on the trees. Anyway, I don't really have a "program" and I think that's part of my (slow) success. I still have pizza every weekend- I just keep it reasonable and keep moving. :hug:

Mezmerelda, I'm pruning trees, lol! and going for walkies, as always... You?

Sum38
02-24-2014, 01:46 PM
Lol, Susan. Sometimes having two threads is wealth of information :)
I did not do any showshoeing during this vacation. I just bummed about the villages, hung at Starbucks and read books. It was leisurely.

mezmerelda Hey there! Wondered about you. What's happening with you? -- I spent the weekend driving 1300 miles :)

Sum38
02-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Back home!

I slept in late, which I never do. And it felt sooooo good! I am having a hard time getting my day started and it is already early afternoon.

I lost 2 pounds on my vacation, and I am so excited over it. I won't meet my monthly goal, but a loss is a loss. I am heading at right direction, and that is the only thing that matters, right?

I am only a few pounds away from fitting into my size 6 clothing. Totally geeked about it. I really don't have many pieces in that size, mostly summer stuff. -- I have never shopped second hand, but I am thinking about doing that. Size 6 is not my goal, 2/4 is and I have a feeling I won't stay at that size for very long. So why spend a fortune on new clothing, when I can get a few pieces second hand. -- We have an upscale second hand store in town, I could get some name brand jeans etc. Anyone shopped second hand stuff while losing weight?

I am also thinking about selling my stuff there. All those size 10 WHBM items are in great shape. I only have a few pieces in size 8. My closet is pretty limited. -- I have lots of tops to wear though. And who cares if I wear the same black bottoms :D

What amazes me. I was stuck at 10/12 FOR EVER. Like 25-30 pounds and now that I am getting smaller, the sizes just breeze by. I guess it is the toilet paper roll theory?

I am really struggling with my bodyimage though. One would think that losing weight would bring on more confidence. Not in my case. -- I am starting to look really good with clothes on, but clothes off, I feel very self-conscious. I look skinny fat :( -- Oh well, I will keep up my workouts, and eventually my toned underneath will surface.

I really need to get my day "started", so off to the gym I go...

mezmerelda
02-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Glad you had a great vacation, Sum! The body image thing is tough, and I was there when I was younger. I think I'm in the opposite situation now. I'm toned and look good naked, but I spend the majority of my time clothed. :) You'll get there soon.

Life has been crazy here. Work is too busy because we're short on staff. We had our old neighbors visit this weekend - I miss them and our old area.

I have to do this networking thing at one of the local universities this week (through work), and realized I need a suit. My suits decided they wanted to be donated before we moved, so I had to go buy a new one today. I was delighted to find that the size I expected to wear is too big - time for a smaller size! Despite how busy I've been, my stress levels have dropped and things are finally moving along after being stagnant for a bit. Go me.

ChicaCoy
02-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Hello, I'm actually 39 1/2 but since 40 is just a few months away I thought you all could let me slip by. I'm new here and new on ww (a week op). I'm searching for motivation and a buddy or two.
Take Care

Magicsusan
02-28-2014, 03:17 PM
:welcome2:

Hi ChicaCoy. I saw you over in another thread- you've come to the right place. Welcome!

Mezmer- a suit! I've never owned a suit. I bet you look fab in it!

Sum- i've been stuck at my current size forever. It's been so long since I've been thin that I have no idea where "normal" will be for me, but I'm ready to move on!

Have a great, positive, on-plan :carrot: weekend, everyone.

soon2beskinnyCarma
02-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Hi all haven't checked in for a bit. Not a lot to say so most of my log ins have been on the February weight loss & exercise challenge by Gardner joy. I have been strong on the exercise this week. Still need to go out today, dd has been sick with stomach flu. I will go for a run tonight in the cold dark after husband comes home. I really hope I don't get it. 2nd time in 2 weeks I have had to call out sick.

Welcome chicacoy!

Mezmerelda: nice job on the suit. Is it pin striped? I love those. Any more poorly written resume's?

Sum: both my sisters shop second hand. I don't usually because they often organize the shops by color and not by size. It usually takes forever but I am leaning towards that too. Not that I am moving towards size 14's anytime soon.
Glad vacation was good.

Susan: on point willpower coming your way. Sucks about the wii fit pedometer. Is that only for the wii u?

Apple blossom: I calorie count because I want to be able to learn portion sizes. You need to find something that works for you. Remember don't let one bad day turn into two.

Hi to everyone else:hug:

Sum38
02-28-2014, 05:14 PM
Nice seeing you here, Rennie and Carma! :hug:

Sum38
02-28-2014, 05:46 PM
Ooops, Rennie is not here. But if she checks in.... then hi :)

ChicaCoy
03-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Thank you Carma :)
How is everyone? We're getting ready for another bout of snow.