South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 02:01 AM   #1  

Thumbs up My Advice- for what it's worth

I've been on my soap box on the phone for the last 30 minutes with a friend who is taking diet pills with ephedra. I think I could
be the poster child against that stuff. 2 1/2years ago-only 2 weeks before my little baby girl was born-my mother-who was only 53 at the time and more active and fit than most people I know had a brain aneurisym. Her doctors think it might have ruptured because she was taking ephedra. She did live, but never recovered. She stayed in a deep coma for 6 weeks and is now in a persistent vegetative state in a nursing home here in my home town. I have taken diet pills before, also, but I promise you-I would rather weigh 500 pounds than be in the shape my mother is in. I guess most people are like me and think it won't happen to them, but I'm here to tell you, it can. A good diet and exercise is the only way to lose weight and keep it off. I just wish people could see that before they wreck their lives with that stuff!
Old 07-12-2003, 08:32 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh Bobo... I'm so very sorry about your Mother.
Love, hugs and prayers...
Old 07-12-2003, 08:37 AM   #3  
cranky & determined

Bobo
Old 07-12-2003, 09:03 AM   #4  
Big Loser

Bless your heart....that is some good advice!!
Old 07-12-2003, 09:52 AM   #5  
GARDENING ADDICT

Bobo~~~I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. My prayers are with you and her

I think that we (people in general) do resort to actions that could be harmful in our struggle to lose weight (diet pills, gastric surgery, plastic surgery, etc). And for many of us, they work just fine. But you are right. We don't usually get to hear about the ones that had bad results or complications.

We have to make an educated decision and know all of the risks involved. I applaud you for being brave enough to share your very sad experience with others, so that they will know what could happen to them. As in life, I do believe that we can make the best decisions for our health if we are well informed.

End of my
Old 07-12-2003, 01:38 PM   #6  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Bobo-HOW AWFUL!! That is horrible. Good for you for trying to save others from the same experience.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:49 PM   #7  
Empress/Queen

Thank you for posting that, Bobo. I'm sorry about your mom. I am in total agreement about ephedra. I've taken it in the past, but never would again.

Actually, you can't find the stuff in my area anymore. All the brands that had it have taken it out.

It's important to note that manufacturers sometimes list "naturally occuring ephedra" or herbal ingredients that contain ephedra without even mentioning the word at all.

I know this is a controversial topic, but how this substance has a bad, bad safety record, as Bobo has pointed out and should be banned IMO. It has been banned in one state and hopefully others will follow suit.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:18 PM   #8  

You're right, they do list it under other names. Ma Huang is one of the names. I am glad it is being taken off the shelves in some areas. From what I understand, Ephedra is the very same thing, just an herbal equivalent to the cold medicine that was banned, PPA. It just can't be banned becuase the FDA doesn't regulate herbs. Sad.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:32 AM   #9  

I very briefly tried Hydroxycut a few years ago, despite my misgivings about Ephedra. It did boost my loss a little bit, but certainly not enough to justify getting the shakes like a heroin addict, enduring searing stomach pain, and snapping at everyone. Does it seem weird to anyone else here that the Gov't monitors prescription drugs so carefully, but pretty much ignores supplements? They can be so dangerous, and so many desperate people are taken in by ridiculous claims.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:52 PM   #10  

I guess it's a money thing. You're right the supplements can be dangerous too, and I wish they'd change the rules about regulating them. I tried ephedra right before I got pregnant with my little girl, and I had the shakes too, and I was sooooo ill!!!! I don't think it's worth it, no matter how fat I am!!!!
Old 07-19-2003, 06:59 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Canada has outlawed OTC drugs with ephedra or ma huang which is really the same thing. No doubt the "pushers" will come up with something else equally bad for us poor gullible dieters!
Closed Thread