Exercise! - February 2014 C25K - Running Wild!

diamondgeog
02-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Thought I would go ahead and start the thread. Especially as I completed my first 5K on Feb 1.

It was a lot of fun. And although via the program I never ran the 40 minutes it took me to and never actually ran 5K, I had no problem completing it after getting up to 30 minute runs. And I actually felt stronger the second half. I sprinted the last 0.1 miles.

Somebody mentioned goals when you finished. I think it is good to think about goals but running is going to be different for you at the end of completing the program then at the beginning and the middle.

It is an entirely different thing for me to run now. Much easier, more enjoyable, more a part of my life.

I think I am going to probably settle on something like 35 to 40 min runs 3 times a week. And possibly train for a 10K later this year. But I was not tired at the end, I was not gasping for air. Your body when you run regularly changes....radically.

Your capillary system gets better, you get more mitochondria, you get better at delivering oxygen to your muscles. And yes researchers have measured all that. So you might think I'd never do a 10K or whatever now. But running isn't going to be the same thing it is now. It will be easier and hopefully more enjoyable. And if I could do it anyone can. I couldn't even run the 30 seconds in August.

Silverfire
02-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Nice work diamondgeog! Congrats on your first 5K! Very inspiring :D :D

EmmaD
02-03-2014, 04:53 PM
YAY, new month! This *should* be the month that I finally get back to 30 minutes of running. :goodluck: to everyone here for your February goals!

Your capillary system gets better, you get more mitochondria, you get better at delivering oxygen to your muscles. And yes researchers have measured all that. So you might think I'd never do a 10K or whatever now. But running isn't going to be the same thing it is now. It will be easier and hopefully more enjoyable.

That's what I am counting on! My capillaries and mitochondria haven't caught up yet with my brain's desire to run ...

Today is Week 7, Day 3: another 22' run + 1' extra at the end. I always try to sprint the last minute anyway... :lol: My "sprint" is like a normal pace for a regular runner. It was easier than last week! woot woot

The previous C25K threads had a lot of valuable information that gets buried forever. When I first did the program 4+ years ago, I read through something like 400 posts (long thread) and it was SO helpful. Here a few of the last threads if it helps any new runners:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/291371-january-2014-c25k-running-wild.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/289886-nov-dec-2013-c25k-newbies-restarters.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/287498-1st-day-couch-5k-im-runner-sept-2013-a.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/278467-1st-day-couch-5k-im-runner.html

Starting C25K at a higher weight: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/289375-c25k.html and http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/286112-couch-5-k.html

lilmisschattabox
02-04-2014, 04:19 AM
I started W1D1 today... It was hard! Much harder than I remember from all the other W1's I've started (there's been a few haha). But my partner came with me and he's much faster, so maybe I was trying to keep up a bit. Anyway, I've started, so now I just need to stick with it :)

Rechyl
02-04-2014, 01:39 PM
Forgot to take my sports bra with me to work today so couldnt go to gym and do my run. Did a 45 min walk instead.

Rated
02-05-2014, 12:28 AM
lilmisschatterbox - I also had completed W1D1 many times before.... and usually didn't get much further. I just finished W3 and already I can see a difference and I was dying on those 1 min runs in the first week. Keep it up go at a pace that is challenging but do-able and you will see progress!

I just finished week 3 and have officially completed more of the program than I ever have before. I leave on Thursday for a week to visit my family and then go to a conference but I am going to try to continue week 4 while I am traveling.

I am usually too intimidated to use hotel gyms but I am going to give it a try this time!

diamondgeog
02-05-2014, 05:12 PM
My personal advice is also junk carbs except veggies maybe some fruit. Forget conventional wisdom. It is wrong. It is why we have obesity and diabetes explosion.

If you do and you run, you will shed pounds. I guarantee it.

Savemykissesx
02-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Ok guys so before the holidays I was on a GREAT and I mean GREAT roll... lost weight and was very proud of myself but what a horrible idea. I stunk at sticking with it during the holidays - so here I am now finally telling myself to get back on the wagon. I just need help with the DIET part.. but also exercise, too, of course. I have been going to the gym and doing classes, but I want to do the C25K... and I figure why NOT start tonight? So my plan is to go and do W1D1 and then shower and hit the sac.... I'm so nervous. I am so not a runner!

diamondgeog
02-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Awesome starting. Repeat weeks/days as often as you feel you need to. Your body will change. It probably is not very good at delivering oxygen to muscles so it is hard and you huff and puff.

Did a 30 min run on treadmill tonight at 4.3. It was easier than 30 seconds used to be. Keep going, you'll get better.

rbphoenix
02-06-2014, 03:14 AM
I sorta started in January, but I'm going to creep into the Feb thread. I started strong but then got struck down with the flu so I'm a little off schedule. Currently, I'm only at W2D2 because I've been throwing in the c25k programs in sporadically in between my regular workouts. This month I'd like to stick to a more structured routine.

On the up side, I wanted to see if I'd made any endurance improvements, even with my wonky routine, and I was able to run a mile straight without stopping to walk (impressive for me!).

BTW, do you guys alternate run days or do them back to back? I've been resting but I'm wondering if it's necessary for good performance?

Rated
02-06-2014, 10:03 AM
I alternate C25k days and lifting days. So I run on alternating days but I am still working out inbetween.

I tried Week 4 yesterday, there are two 5 min run sections and while I completed the first one I couldn't do the last one. I am proud that I did run for 5 mins but I think I am going to go back and repeat week 3 again so that I can completed week 4 as it was intended.

It looks like repeated weeks might become a pattern for me.

Silverfire
02-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Hi Everyone! Welcome to the newcomers :)

Repeat of W2 yesterday and the day before, I'm glad I did it again, it slightly less of a struggle to do now :) Looking forward to W3 Monday! I am having some issues with my heel right now. It's not unbearable but it is tender. I have a really bad habit of always tucking that foot under my leg when I sit and have been trying REALLY hard to get out of that habit in hopes that it will relieve some of this discomfort!

lilmisschattabox
02-06-2014, 08:33 PM
W1 D2 down. It seemed easier today, but then I didn't have my partner with me, so I prob wasn't trying to keep up with him so much. I did have the dog pulling me along though ha ha. Is that cheating!? Lol.

I would like to not repeat weeks but I will if I feel like I have to. Going to try and push through as much as I can though. :dust:

diamondgeog
02-07-2014, 06:32 AM
chattabox,

The approach I took was repeat weeks or days as much as I felt necessary. But my one BIG rule was once I started a day ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS do the run parts.

On days where there were 5 runs and it was 90 outside you bet I wanted to quit. But I knew if I did then I just wouldn't finish the program. So it was much more important for me to repeat and be very comfortable with the next day or week then have any particular time goal of finishing the program in. I always ran every run segment every single time for the full length every time I started a day but once. Turned out I was sick that one time though.

And it worked for me.

Rated
02-07-2014, 11:36 AM
For me repeating weeks was important because I figure it is better to repeat weeks and be better prepared then to push push push, not be able to do it anymore. Then ultimately quit because it got too hard (like in the past).

It is important to push yourself though so if you think you can keep pace with the program that is awesome.

Silverfire
02-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Hey everyone! Happy Monday ;)

I didn't get in the round two of W2D2 on Friday, I was just too beat from working late the night before. I worked over the weekend too and did a 10 hour shift on my feet. Ouch. I wised up from the Thursday shift where my feet hurt so bad I could hardly walk the next day, and picked up a really nice new pair of work shoes. Can't really afford it, but I also can't afford to not be able to work a second job because of my feet! Glad I got them because at the end of those 10 hours, my feet were sore, but I could still walk :) It was a 20,000 step night.

I think today I am going to dive right into W3, I feel like if I don't move on, I'll just stick at W2 forever :) Wish me luck!

EmmaD
02-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Hi everyone! I wrote a big post last week but I think it never posted, oh well. The gist of it was that repeating is a great idea if you don't feel ready to jump to the next phase. I repeated when I felt like I had taken too much time in between running days. BUT that being said, you may surprise yourself if you just jump in and go for a session that you can't imagine yourself being ready for!

I alternate days in general - 3 days a week with yoga on the alternate days. I think it might not be a good idea to run every day, so you can give your body a chance to catch up. Seasoned runners often run every day (at least the folks I know).

Also RE: weight loss and running, my experience as a not-quite-overweight ("skinny fat") woman with lots of fat to burn and with 15-25 extra pounds packed on in the last few years - I did NOT lose weight when I did C25K last time; in fact it caused my weight loss to stall. I have seen this in other women as well, there was a big discussion about it here in 2009 ... I think weight loss would eventually catch up if I kept running... (I did end up losing ~15 pounds by tweaking my diet and getting a whole lot more activity in my day-to-day life but I stopped running). It is something I am working on this time around as well, as I haven't really lost any weight yet, despite adding exercise.

I did the 25' run last week. Not easy at all, but doable. I had 5 days in between running so I am doing the 25' run a couple more times before I move on to 28'. I just finished it again, and it was haaaaard but I did it. I also "sprint" for the last minute and that is super-hard but feels great.

One thing I have noticed is that my runs often feel horrible until around halfway through ... which at this point is 12.5 minutes in. Just putting that out there, as many of you are getting close to the longer runs.

My rule for myself is also to finish all the running segments in a session - however I sometimes had/have to slow down to a pace that is practically walking (and I don't mean speed-walking ... it gets embarrassing when it takes me so long to pass people out strolling with their dogs). :D

:running::running::running:

lilmisschattabox
02-11-2014, 02:19 AM
W1 D3 today. It wasn't hard exactly - just really slow! I didn't seem to cover the distance I did on my other two runs. I am putting it down to it being really warm outside and feeling really tired. I think I'm okay to go into W2 though. I know I'm going to find that extra 30 sec of running hard work though!

Silverfire
02-11-2014, 09:21 AM
EmmaD 25 minutes! Woo!! That is so awesome! And Sprinting at the end! You are bad @ss!! at the end of whatever running bit I'm doing, I can only just get one foot in front of the other :) My understanding is that running on a treadmill vs on the road is two totally different kettle of fish... Did you start on a treadmill or have you been running on the road the whole time?

chattabox :woohoo: Well done!

W3 D1 Done! Phew! I read the thing wrong and was expecting to do 4 - 3 minute run/walks, not 90 seconds, run, 90 walk, 3 run, 3 walk - repeat. So I finished the first run and was super excited because it was such a breeze... then the second one came and I couldn't figure out why it was felt sooooo much longer than the last one! I thought that my notifications turned off (I turn my phone over so I can't watch the time, and if I forget to turn the volume on, and it locks, I wont hear the voice telling me to walk/run!) When I was sure I was going to die, and turned my phone over, there was 3 seconds left to run! So I finished it and didn't die! I'm sure glad there are not mirrors in front of the treadmill coz I can only imagine how horrible I looked during that last one!
:woops:

kailpea
02-11-2014, 02:42 PM
I'm new to the C25K thing but so far I am enjoying. I'm only on week 1, complete W1D2 today and I am already impressed with myself! My standards are pretty low though. Going into it, I knew I could sustain jogging for 1 minute at a time, but when I would do this outside, I was doing 14 minutes of walking 1 minute of jogging, which was obviously not helping me become a better runner (i've realized this a year later). So the fact that I am even able to get through Day 2 was amazing to me! I kinda wanted to die at the end, but I felt so accomplished!

Jogging on the treadmill is new to me. Day 1 was super awkward and I spend part of my running sessions speed walking like my life depended on it because my silly brain couldn't figure out how to jog on the treadmill. Once I figured that out about half way through it got better. I'm sure I looked like a nut. Spent day one hugging the treadmill during my session, but by Day two I fully had that jogging thing down and didn't need to. I was really afraid I would't be able to keep up and go rolling off the back. But no problems there.

My question to you C25K pros out there is if you are doing this on the treadmill what speed to you set your self at for your warm up/cooldown, walking, and running sessions? I imagine your speed will go up as you progress in the program. Today I set mine at 3 mph for the warm up/cool down 3.5 mph for the walking and 4.5 for the jogging and I was beat afterward.

I definitely prefer walking outdoors opposed to the treadmill so I can't wait until it warms up a bit so I can try the program outside. This weekend might be the perfect time. Can't wait!

Kate79
02-11-2014, 03:34 PM
I did 5 days of Week 3 because I was really intimidated about the 6 minute run in Week 4. But today I did it! I can't believe I got through it :) And it does seem to be getting easier.

finale
02-11-2014, 04:06 PM
I have been training for a 10k and this week I start the jogging for 7 minutes. Last week jogging for 6 minutes and walking for 2 was good at the end it was getting hard but I kept thinking there is no quitting. My first 10k is in May 2014 and I am super excited to actually be registered and doing the work to accomplish this goal this year.

Silverfire
02-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Kailpea - :woohoo: So glad you started! My treadmill speed started just about exactly as yours, I think I walked a little slower to start off... just under 3 or so. Now I do it a bit faster, and my jogging I have managed to go at 4.7-9 or so. I have never really tried jogging for real on the road, it would feel so HARD under my feet I think! Come spring I may try to go for jogs by the river near my house :) I have at least another month or two till its nice enough for that though!

Kate79 - Good Job!!! 6 minutes is super intimidating! Keep it up, your rocking it!

Finale - a 10 K! That's wicked!!

I'm supposed to do W3D2 today, but it may be postponed until tomorrow!

diamondgeog
02-12-2014, 01:24 PM
I wanted to post this as a new thread called: Awesome Article that will have you completing or starting a C25K. But it won't let me. It is that good. But here it is here. I LOVE it!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/17/the-appetite-workout/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

This is exactly what happened to me. I remember telling my wife in October of last year, I am not hungry....ever.

This was life altering to me. I was ALWAYS hungry. Now cutting carbs and wheat and pasta helped immensely. I was much less hungry than before even without running at all.

But the running right around exactly 12 weeks just virtually eliminated my hunger. I don't snack anymore. I am just not hungry. People who haven't tried this think its a bunch of hoohie. Well I urge everyone to read that article.

And I do want to point out almost all of my running was after dinner. But that didn't matter. My hormones got in balance so that I simply wasn't hungry much at all anymore. So for me the combination of cutting grains out virtually all together and running was a slam dunk beyond my wildest imaginations.

It has literally transformed my life.

EmmaD
02-13-2014, 04:56 PM
W1 D3 today. It wasn't hard exactly - just really slow! I didn't seem to cover the distance I did on my other two runs. I am putting it down to it being really warm outside and feeling really tired. I think I'm okay to go into W2 though. I know I'm going to find that extra 30 sec of running hard work though!

YES! slow is good to start. Can't remember if I said it here already or not but it bears repeating: I never found each increment to be harder than the previous one... in other words, going from 22 to 25 minutes wasn't harder than in the beginning going from 90 seconds to 3 minutes or whatever. Good luck with Week 2! I hope you will find that it is never harder than the beginning...

EmmaD 25 minutes! Woo!! That is so awesome! And Sprinting at the end! You are bad @ss!! at the end of whatever running bit I'm doing, I can only just get one foot in front of the other :) My understanding is that running on a treadmill vs on the road is two totally different kettle of fish... Did you start on a treadmill or have you been running on the road the whole time?

Aw, that is so sweet! But I am the furthest thing from that... Today I felt like I was running backwards. I was barely able to get one foot in front of the other... the sprint at the end helps because the stride is very different (so using a little bit different muscles) PLUS knowing it will all be over in a matter of seconds :p Whew, I am soooo out of breath after that.

I've been running outside the whole time this time - which is hard because of the cold/weather delays! I had been doing Weeks 1, 2 and 3 on and off for literally a few YEARS (2010 till recently) - mostly outside but sometimes on a treadmill. This was very sporadic though. I am/was pretty darn out of shape cardiovascularly.

My question to you C25K pros out there is if you are doing this on the treadmill what speed to you set your self at for your warm up/cooldown, walking, and running sessions? I imagine your speed will go up as you progress in the program. Today I set mine at 3 mph for the warm up/cool down 3.5 mph for the walking and 4.5 for the jogging and I was beat afterward.

I definitely prefer walking outdoors opposed to the treadmill so I can't wait until it warms up a bit so I can try the program outside. This weekend might be the perfect time. Can't wait!

Congratulations on beginning C25K!!

The first time I did the program a few years ago, I did it all on a treadmill. I started Week 1 running at 5 or 5.5 mph hahaha that did not last long. Had to slow down by the second week ... I think I ended up at around 3.5 for warmup/cooldown, around 4 mph for the jogging (some people WALK this speed on a treadmill but that's what it took for me to get through the long runs). I think in the middle weeks, with longer runs and walks in between I would walk even at like 3 mph to catch my breath...

I find running outside to be much harder - plus I have NO idea what speed I am going now since I haven't measured my route (which is getting much longer with the longer runs). I heard somewhere that if you set the treadmill on 1% incline it helps approximate running outdoors. I ran on a treadmill like this by accident last time I did C25K - around Week 4 - and it was SO MUCH HARDER. I was so confused about why it felt so hard until I found out it was on an incline (at a friend's home, no chance to make it flat... whaaaaat?!)

I did 5 days of Week 3 because I was really intimidated about the 6 minute run in Week 4. But today I did it! I can't believe I got through it :) And it does seem to be getting easier.

Those middle weeks are where you amaze yourself with the dramatic increases! You can't imagine that you can do it, it seems so long to be running, and then you do it. I like that stage best. Congratulations!

I wanted to post this as a new thread called: Awesome Article that will have you completing or starting a C25K. But it won't let me. It is that good. But here it is here. I LOVE it!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/17/the-appetite-workout/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

LOVE it!

Well I ran 28 minutes today!!!

It is NOT getting easier yet, sadly. It was really really hard. I was seriously dragging by the end (I even had to check my phone - I thought it had shut off because it was sooooooo long before I heard the voice prompt about the halfway point.)

I think I ran too fast (for me) in the beginning. I tend to run faster when other people are around. Vanity, haha

Anyway I came pretty close to my goal of running 30' by Valentine's Day (I started around December 15). The actual 30' run won't happen until the weekend or next week, but close enough. I'm calling it a Valentine's Day heart-healthy success. :val1:

Silverfire
02-14-2014, 10:10 AM
W3D2 almost completed... I didn't make it through the last 3 minute bit, I had a stabby pain in my ribs from the beginning and just couldn't do it! Repeating W3! I think I may start putting the treadmill at a tiny incline... I'd like to move to running outside and maybe starting this now will make the transition a bit easier come warm weather! I won't get another chance till next week with working job #2 this weekend.

AwShucks
02-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Hi Y'all. I didn't know you guys were here, or I would've posted earlier... I'm doing week 2 day 3 today -- and I've been running on an indoor track. Today I'm going to try outside because we've got some really fine spring-like weather for once.

I really can't believe I can do it! It's a big personal challenge for me, and I'm so excited to complete each "run." I know I have a long way to go to get to 5K, but for someone who has NEVER run before, this is big! Way to go everyone. Keep on trucking!

cantgetenoughchoc
02-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Hi!

I'm a bit embarrassed.... this summer I got up to the 8th week of C25K on a treadmill. I loved it. It's such a good programme because even though I hate exercise it the interval training aspect of it kept me entertained. But then I went back to uni and I got busier and I honestly got a bit bored due to the lack of interval training and I just stopped. I discovered over the last few months that I'd lost a few pounds, even though my stomach feels much flabbier, and I've since realised that it must have been the muscle I had gained from running! So that made me even more disappointed that I'd given up!

I quit the gym a couple of months ago and I'm reluctant to sign up again until I prove to myself that I will make time to exercise. So I just went on my first ever jog outside... and struggled with W2D1!! It's so sad that I'm back where I started... but I won't let that put me off. I'm glad to see there's some other week 2 people here too! I can do this again!! :D

lilmisschattabox
02-17-2014, 03:20 AM
Checking in - just didn't get into it last week, it was a bit of a messy week! Committing to doing better this week! First day of W2 tonight. Felt like my legs were made of lead :( But I slogged through. Figure it's better to be moving slowly than not at all. Fingers crossed for a better D2.

You guys that are ahead of me are inspiring! Makes me feel like I can do it!!!

kailpea
02-18-2014, 03:09 PM
So I was pleasantly surprise today at the gym. I had every intention on repeating week, because it kinda kicked my butt last week. So I started up my app and then I was doing my first running interval I looked down at my phone after what I thought had been a minute and wondered why I hadn't been told to start walking yet and realized I was actually doing week 2! I went ahead a stuck with it (but I lowered my walking speed by .5 mph) and was so shocked that I was actually doing it, and doing without feeling like I was going to die. I am so impressed by the amount of endurance I had gained in just a week! Makes me even more motivated to stick with the program. Not sure that I'll be moving on to week 3 after this week, but I have decided that if I do stick with week 2 for an extra week, I'll try upping my speed.

fadedbluejeans
02-19-2014, 03:32 PM
OK I can't stand it anymore! I'm getting back on the treadmill tonight after work! (quick recap: I started c25K last November, and made it to w8d2 and had to stop running due to severe knee pain.) I haven't run in a little over a month and I miss it! I've been substituting my recumbent bike while waiting for my knee to improve, but it's just not the same. I'm going right back to w1d1, just to make sure my knee can take it. Wish me luck :)

Rated
02-19-2014, 10:22 PM
bluejeans - I hope your knee holds up. Good idea to start at week 1 again just to slowly adjust again.

fadedbluejeans
02-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Well, I completed w1d1 again. It went ok. My gait is definitely off, and my knee is a little bit more sore than yesterday. I think I am going to run only 1 day per week to start.

kailpea
02-20-2014, 02:43 PM
I did W2D2 today. I struggled a bit toward the end due to some nasty shin splints but I powered through it and finished. Going to take a break over the weekend before I attempt D3.

I really need to work on stretching before I begin. I did some quick stretches before I began, but I don't think it was enough. I felt my left calf starting to cramp up a bit toward the end as well.

Silverfire
02-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Good Job Faded! Totally take it easy and make sure you give yourself the chance to heal before pushing too hard!

Kailpea Woo!!! Way to power through! Your ahead of me for now!!! ;) I'll be gymming after work today again ;)

Yesterday I couldn't finish the last bit of jogging, and not because I couldn't DO it, but because I really really had to go to the bathroom!!! I don't know if anyone else has had this problem... But it seems that jogging can really... um... shake things loose! I do make a point to try and always go before the gym even! Oh well, I still was planning on repeating a couple days of W3 anyway :)

toodles11
02-20-2014, 10:04 PM
Jumping onto this thread. I just finished W5D2 today. A few months ago I went as far as W7D2 but I think that was right before Christmas and then things went downhill & I basically stopped exercising for about 4 weeks. I started back last week at Week 4 and have felt great.

I'm running on the treadmill right now because it's really dark outside in the morning when I workout and it's FREEZING (or below freezing) outside. I HATE running on the treadmill though. I may just suck up the cold & go outside the next couple of weeks since those will be my run-for-25-minutes days and to run that far on a treadmill will be torture.

lilmisschattabox
02-21-2014, 03:45 AM
W2D2 today and I swung between it just feeling really hard and like I couldn't do it and feeling like i did better than last time. So I don't know how I feel about it haha. Going for D3 on Sunday. Must commit to Sunday! I want to finish a C25K week in an actual week for once!

It did feel good to start the day with a run though :)

Silverfire
02-21-2014, 09:42 AM
W3 repeated yesterday and will do it again today. Again I couldn't finish the last jogging bit, and this time because I couldn't do it! Although, I have started putting the incline at 1% (It's supposed to make treadmill running a bit closer to running outside) It makes a difference! But I figure I should get started on it now, rather than totally shock my body when I go to do it outside!

toodles11 - Welcome to the thread! Brrr! I couldn't imagine running outside in the temps we've got right now! (-25 c this morning and -20's for the next two weeks! ugh) What don't you like about running on the treadmill?

lilmisschattabox - Good Job! Even if you're not sure how you feel, you still did great :)

EmmaD
02-21-2014, 11:47 AM
I just went on my first ever jog outside... and struggled with W2D1!! It's so sad that I'm back where I started... but I won't let that put me off.

I did the same a few years ago - after completing the ENTIRE program. It does suck to lose all the gains after all that work ... but you'll get back, probably sooner than you think since it was only a few weeks off.

So I was pleasantly surprise today at the gym. I had every intention on repeating week, because it kinda kicked my butt last week. So I started up my app and then I was doing my first running interval I looked down at my phone after what I thought had been a minute and wondered why I hadn't been told to start walking yet and realized I was actually doing week 2! I went ahead a stuck with it (but I lowered my walking speed by .5 mph) and was so shocked that I was actually doing it, and doing without feeling like I was going to die. I am so impressed by the amount of endurance I had gained in just a week! Makes me even more motivated to stick with the program. Not sure that I'll be moving on to week 3 after this week, but I have decided that if I do stick with week 2 for an extra week, I'll try upping my speed.

That is how I actually started on this last C25K journey! I had been stuck doing weeks 1 and 2 over and over, trying to use them for interval training. My app accidentally went to Week 3 once and by the time I realized it I decided I might as well finish. It went OK, so I was on my way! :)

Personally, I focused on getting through the entire program, building endurance up to 30 minutes, then building speed later.

Well, I completed w1d1 again. It went ok. My gait is definitely off, and my knee is a little bit more sore than yesterday. I think I am going to run only 1 day per week to start.

Yay! I hope it all works out with your knee injury...

I really need to work on stretching before I begin. I did some quick stretches before I began, but I don't think it was enough. I felt my left calf starting to cramp up a bit toward the end as well.

Ugh - for me everything gets so stiff when I start running. I do yoga and I can see huge differences in how much less flexible I am, and I have to work harder to loosen up. I have been running *after* yoga class recently and that has been interesting in that I feel more loose when I start. With regular stretching I feel like it takes me several minutes of jogging to feel loosened up. I'm not sure yet what to do about stretching enough when I don't take a yoga class before running!

I'm running on the treadmill right now because it's really dark outside in the morning when I workout and it's FREEZING (or below freezing) outside. I HATE running on the treadmill though. I may just suck up the cold & go outside the next couple of weeks since those will be my run-for-25-minutes days and to run that far on a treadmill will be torture.

Oh YEAH running that long on a treadmill is pretty boring. It's a mind game to get through it :p

W2D2 today and I swung between it just feeling really hard and like I couldn't do it and feeling like i did better than last time. So I don't know how I feel about it haha.

That's how I feel EVERY time :D. I am hoping it gets easier.

W3 repeated yesterday and will do it again today. Again I couldn't finish the last jogging bit, and this time because I couldn't do it! Although, I have started putting the incline at 1% (It's supposed to make treadmill running a bit closer to running outside) It makes a difference! But I figure I should get started on it now, rather than totally shock my body when I go to do it outside!

I did my last two runs on a treadmill - just flat. 1% is MUCH harder from what I recall. I should test that again. I am curious how it is going to feel when I run outside again...

Well I DID IT! The 30' run! I have done it twice now - Tuesday and Thursday. It was on a treadmill so I can't compare how it will feel outside (every other run I did up to 28' was outside). It was definitely a mind game to get through it. "Half way!" then "It's *just* a 12/10/8/5/3-minute run remaining...." hahaha I really hope this part gets better. It is still so surprising to me that I can keep running for soooo long.

That being said, I am pretty slow. Since I ran on a treadmill, I know the speed - 4.0 mph, so I run 2 miles. Nowhere close to 3.1 miles (5K). I'll be working on speed now ... as my goal is to run 3 miles in 30 minutes. I'm not really interested in running much longer times.
Happy Dance party for now :carrot::cb::dance::jig::dancer::broc::belly:

SuomiSara
02-22-2014, 01:53 AM
Well done EmmaD! You should be very proud of yourself.

I started this Thursday night. Had been walking for a while and wondered why I hadn't been told to run yet. Checked my phone and I'd managed to turn it off when I changed my music. So set it on again and thought the runs seems terribly long. Discovered when I'd finished that Id managed to restart it on week 3, day 1. Happily did not die ;)

Went out last night and did Week 1, Day 1. Found it harder as legs a little sore from the night before. But I did it. Covered 3.6km even though it was slippy with the ice in places.

Feeling itchy to get out again but I know my legs need a rest now and the weather is pretty terrible.

lilmisschattabox
02-23-2014, 03:22 AM
Thanks Silverfire!
EmmaD - don't tell me that, haha!

Week 2 down! Woo! I'm going to try do D1 of W3 on Tuesday. I'm a little nervous about the 3 min run. Mind over matter right??

diamondgeog
02-23-2014, 06:32 AM
I know this seems a fairly bizarre connection with knee pain. But I'd suggest trying grain free. I know huge mind boggling what?

I never intended to go grain free not even just wheat free. I wanted to cut out bread, pasta, potatoes (which I now have occassionally) to help me over my constant hunger.

It did but I also felt so much better I gave up wheat. Then I came across a link and googled going grain free. And it blew my mind. Long story short, humans haven't adapted to eating grains in the last 10,000 years. They have lots of 'anti-nutrients' that bind good nutrients. They generally cause inflammation in many.

I thought I had back pain from running. Turned out it was my last grain to give up, corn. I am now back pain and allergy free. Now grain free can't heal a ligament, but less inflammation should lead to less ligament damage and pain.

Google grain free and allergies. Mine is a very common story.

fadedbluejeans
02-23-2014, 10:17 AM
I'm already 99% grain free. When I eat wheat in particular I get pain in my elbow joints, weird I know, but I've tested it several times. For me at least there is definitely a connection.

Silverfire
02-24-2014, 09:05 PM
I made it through W4D1... Just I went super slow (4.1-4.3) but I did it. Woo!

Rated
02-24-2014, 09:20 PM
way to go Silverfire!!

I also just finished W4D1 yesterday. I did it slowly as well but I felt like I had really accomplished something when I finished. I have also picked out a 5k that I would like to run this summer which was big motivation to finish the second 5 min running sections

lilmisschattabox
02-25-2014, 03:53 AM
W3D1 down today. I ran for 3 mins, twice!!!!! I didn't think I could do it haha, but I did. I went early this morning though and there were heaps of runners out and I felt slow and fat :( my fiance keeps telling me that at least I'm out there doing something about it!! But it still makes me feel self conscious.

But at least I got it done, and I survived, and I can do it again on D2 in a couple of days!!

Happy running everyone :)

AwShucks
02-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Silverfire & Rated We're at the same level! I completed week 4 day 1 yesterday, too. Isn't it amazing that we ran a total of 16 minutes?! What?? :) Heck yeah, I'll be able to run that 20 minutes next week!

It's still surreal to me that I'm running and LIKING IT! Who knew? As I go along, I think to myself, "I can't believe it doesn't hurt more." ha ha I always assumed running was pure torture. Not so! Looking forward to finishing the program and completing a race in April. Keep up the great work, everyone!

Rated
02-26-2014, 12:14 AM
AwShucks - You know I never realized that by completing W4D1 I had ran a total of 16 mins out of the 30 min workout. That just blew my mind.

I am glad you are liking running now. I am not yet at the point that I like it... but I don't hate it like I used to. I am just excited to be able to run a decent distance without having to stop.

Silverfire
02-28-2014, 10:17 AM
New thread started over here (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/293291-2014-c25k-were-all-runners.html#post4953319)guys!!