Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat February 3 - February 9

BillBlueEyes
02-03-2014, 06:11 AM
Super Bowl is over. Congratulations to the fans of Seattle. I didn't use it for snacking to oblivion.

There were few avocados in the supermarket on Friday. It took me a minute to remember why. According to Urban Legends (http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/sports/a/super_bowl_2.htm) 69.6 million pounds were sold for Super Bowl last year - second only to Cinco de Mayo. Somebody out there got my share.

February is my longest month. Sunday was a sunny and warmish day so I got outside. My head conjures a whole month of not leaving the house - snow bound eating beans. (My head also believes that there'll be no snow or cold after March 1st.) My head doesn't always tell the truth, LOL.

Mudpie
02-03-2014, 06:37 AM
My head really wants to believe your head :yes: re March Bill. My head also wants to believe I can lose the winter weight by watching TV and eating jelly beans :eek:

I think I'll need to start looking for a new head. :lol3:

Our house will be filled with anticipation/dread until we finish the bath enclosure this week and find out if it leaks :rain: or not :sunny:. We are desperately hoping for the former as we don't know what to do if the latter is the thing that happens. We have no "alternate" bathing facilities - I know this by personally trying to wash in every sink in the house these past days.

Dagmar :stress:

saef
02-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Snow is falling hard, schools are closed, we're supposed to get about six inches of snow, so I'll be working from home -- guiltily, as I ought to drive into CT. Today is my first day back at work, after a week of semi-vacation.

It wasn't a true vacation, since I checked email every day, and spent part of last Tuesday allocating raises and bonuses, after we were given just 24 hours after the numbers were released to turn around that info, and I could not afford NOT to do that.

I going to try to keep off the two pounds that I lost in just one week off from work by dint of sleeping well, not feeling excessively tense, not sitting in an Aeron much of the day and not snacking.

I keep thinking when I come back from a vacation, "Are there any lessons that I learned from relaxing in my time away that I can apply to my day-to-day life, to handle stress?"

The answer is usually yes, there are, but I revert to old methods of coping in about a week's time. Hoping I can do better than that this time.

mars735
02-03-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm glad to put January in the rear view mirror and adjust my SAD light timer down 2 minutes. February has brought a little bit of much needed rain. Today marks 5 months on maintenance. I'm still experimenting with what is a good weight for me, but feeling less white-knuckled about hanging on to better habits. It's a long learning curve, but a fun one thanks to 3FC. Thanks everyone!

alinnell
02-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Our weekend golf plans were thwarted by the weather. Saturday due to high winds and Sunday due to frost (which delayed all tee times, so we just bagged it). I did manage a walk with the dog on Sunday but it was shorter than I had wanted because MIL tagged along and she didn't have proper footwear.

I ate very well on Saturday but not so much on Sunday. I won't be counting today's weigh-in as I'm hoping it will return to Saturday's low by tomorrow.

I'm participating in a month-long wall sit challenge. Starting with 10 seconds you increase by 10 seconds every day until you get up to 5 minutes at the 30 day mark. 10 seconds was a breeze, 20 not so much but interestingly 30 wasn't too bad this morning. I'm not sure I'll make it to the full 5 minutes! Last month it was a plank challenge but I didn't participate because my shoulder screams in pain when I attempt that. I think I have a torn rotator cuff on the left. It's bothered me off and on for about 5 years and I really don't want surgery.

traveling michele
02-03-2014, 11:52 AM
My fingers are crossed for you Dagmar!!

Our weekend was nice. Our foodie walking tour of Napa was quite enjoyable. We tried some new spots and some of which we never would have tried otherwise. Food wasn't healthy but it was just tasting. We just ate veggies for dinner and the scale didn't rebel too much. It's up a tad today so I need to buckle down and make sure I didn't give up grapes for nothing!

Today is dh's birthday. We bought a single size cake in Napa from a bakery so he will eat that tonight while I sing Happy Birthday. He's feeling old and kinda down. I think China is taking a lot out of him. He sees his doctor later this week and I'm pushing for labwork-- maybe his iron or Vitamin D is low-- I'm thinking Vitamin D as he almost never goes outside when he's in China.

Hello to everyone-- and wishing you a wonderful week with great scale progress. I'm debating my exercise tonight. I've been going to bikram almost every day and I really ought to do weight training today-- probably will but I will miss my relaxation that I feel after bikram.

bargoo
02-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Super Bowl is over. Congratulations to the fans of Seattle. I didn't use it for snacking to oblivion.

There were few avocados in the supermarket on Friday. It took me a minute to remember why. According to Urban Legends (http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/sports/a/super_bowl_2.htm) 69.6 million pounds were sold for Super Bowl last year - second only to Cinco de Mayo. Somebody out there got my share.

February is my longest month. Sunday was a sunny and warmish day so I got outside. My head conjures a whole month of not leaving the house - snow bound eating beans. (My head also believes that there'll be no snow or cold after March 1st.) My head doesn't always tell the truth, LOL.

And don't forget the groundhog saw his shadow.

saef
02-03-2014, 02:12 PM

We had plenty on Saturday morning and afternoon, when I visited a conventional grocery store and then a produce market -- but at the grocery store, they were $1.25 each and even the produce market priced them at $1 each. They're not decorating the tops of my salads till they get down to 88 cents, which is how they were priced two weeks ago, before the runup to the Super Bowl.

ReillyJ
02-03-2014, 04:03 PM

I DIDN'T EITHER!! And i live in WA state!!! It was the thrill of a lifetime and i didn't deviate off my calories :carrot:

traveling michele
02-03-2014, 05:44 PM

I'm not sure how much I believe these stats. I heard that something like 350 million pitchers of beer would be consumed during super bowl. That's pretty much one for every man, woman, and child in the US. Sounds a tad steep to me. As I and younger dd don't drink, and older dd barely does, dh figured he needed to drink 4 pitchers. I don't think his two beers he did have will add up.

Arctic Mama
02-03-2014, 08:21 PM
I'm here, I promise! Instantly busy, down to the mattress to lose the last chunk of weight, doing very well overall. Sorry I've been AWOL on chatting.

Secret Swan
02-04-2014, 01:13 AM
Alinnell, have you seen a doctor about the rotator cuff? I ask because I tore mine several years ago and recovered without surgery. Obviously that would depend on your specific injury and I'm no doctor, but it CAN happen. Although some exercises do still cause some discomfort.

I live in WA state, so Sunday was a big day for us, and I carefully ate below my calorie goal on Thursday and Friday to make wiggle room so I could indulge, and pre-decided how much guacamole and sour cream I would have on my baked potato. Then as I was on my way out the door, my dad called with some serious news about a friend, and I was so upset and frazzled that I lost my appetite (it came back) and didn't have the excess I thought I would. So then of course today I was starving and ate like a health-oriented hobbit (breakfast, second breakfast, etc.).

I've been trying to get my running buddy to pick a race we can all train for. We are in a small town, and there are not many options that are more than 5K. Or even many 5Ks. To make matters worse, my buddy has a religious issue with running on a Saturday, so there really are not a lot of races we can do together. But today she suggested bloomsday, a 7-mile race in Spokane, so I think we have a plan! Although spokane is a few hours away.

alinnell
02-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Swan~yes, I've discussed it with my doctor although it was years ago. He gave me some tips for when it flares up. Usually when it is really bad I can immobilize it and use heat. I've found that a Thera-Wrap for the lower back actually works pretty well to do both for me. It makes sleeping weird, but I manage. Right now the pain isn't bad but from time to time I make what seems to be a normal movement with my arm and I'm faced with searing pain. I know not to do certain things that will make it hurt more, but sometimes it's as little as lifting my arm straight up in front of me and yet other times I can do the exact same thing with no pain. It's quite weird.

paperclippy
02-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Good morning! We watched the first little bit of the superbowl before going to bed. After that terrible start for the Broncos we figured there was no reason to be tempted to watch the rest. :lol:

Yesterday I took Carter to the vet and the girls to their 9 month well baby appointment. The good news: Carter and babies are healthy, babies are growing well, Carter is doing as well as is expected for an old dog (and he is officially a senior citizen now). The bad news: the vet said the only thing to do to help make sure Carter never bites the babies is to keep them separated at all times unless being very closely supervised, and the pediatrician said we should let the babies cry it out so that they sleep better. Sigh.

I was hoping for something more encouraging from the vet and it was very hard to hear that. DH says that vets can't tell you anything else for liability reasons, which is possibly true as well. In any case we were planning on gating off one room in our house downstairs to use as a baby playroom so that we don't have to worry about crawling/toddling babies hurting themselves on furniture anyway, so we went ahead and got out our gates last night and set it up. This morning I sat in there playing with the babies for about half an hour while DH was in the shower. Carter came over to the gate, whined a little, then wandered off and took a nap on the couch. Success! I think we will have more success with gating the babies in a confined space than if we tried to gate Carter anywhere.

As for letting the girls cry it out . . . we have really mixed feelings about this. We kept thinking they would just figure it out on their own eventually, and while C sleeps pretty well most nights A was up every 2 hours last night again. She is so tired during the day because she doesn't sleep well at night. I am just concerned that if her nighttime wakings are for actual legitimate something-is-wrong reasons (like constipation making her tummy hurt or something) then letting her cry won't really help anything.

In other news my mom is coming out to visit next week! She won't be able to help out much with the babies as her shoulder is still recovering from the break so no lifting with that arm, but at least she will be able to play with them some.

Mudpie
02-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Sorry Jessica but I have to laugh :lol3: - gating the babies instead of the dog.

Dagmar :coolsnow:

Mudpie
02-04-2014, 11:09 AM
I sustained a very weird injury on Sunday from chopping ice outside. There is a pain at the very lower point of my right shoulder blade which is radiating up and into my upper arm, skipping the forearm, and ending in the wrist with half my hand being kinda numb. I did some yoga this morning instead of the scheduled weights and it seemed to help a bit. Also a b*tch turning my head to drive. Sometimes it seems there are more body parts that ache now :p than those that don't - particularly when some kind of low pressure (storm) system is moving in.

Is winter over yet? :(

Dagmar

traveling michele
02-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Jessica-- sorry the news with Carter wasn't better. I agree with dh-- the vet can't PROMISE Carter will be fine with the babies so he won't.

By the way, my mom-in-law just broke her shoulder in three places (from tripping over the dog) and will have surgery tomorrow. Jessica-- did your mom have surgery? How long ago and how has she done? Can she drive? My MIL probably shouldn't be driving anyway so I'm kinda hoping this takes her out of the driving pool long enough that she quits driving.

alinnell
02-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Jessica~when DD was a baby DH would do the nighttime feeding for me. Although I always woke up, I'd stay in bed and let them be together. One night we heard her cry through the baby monitor and he didn't get up. I asked him why. He said that the past few nights he'd warm up her bottle of breast milk and go to feed her and she'd fall asleep before she finished it. He thought she didn't really need to get up to eat. That was it! She slept through the night after that. Now I know you have a few more things to deal with than we did, but I am an advocate of letting them cry it out. The first few nights might be difficult but it may work out.

Oh my, it's tax season! I've been gathering tax documents for our LLC to give to our CPA and haven't even begun to work on my personal stuff. I'm going to have a busy week or more.

JayEll
02-04-2014, 12:03 PM
I agree with alinnell, Jessica. Read The Sleepeasy Solution again. Children need to learn to self-soothe. If you teach them that you will always come eventually, you're conditioning them to keep crying until you show up.

I know it's hard, but it's better (for all of you) to make sure the babies are OK, and then after that let them work through it--or you'll be dealing with this 5 years from now. At least, that's what I have read.

Megan1982
02-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Morning all,

We have been socked in with fog for about 4 days now. Visibility is so low it's eerie driving around. You see the bridge about 200 feet in front of you and fog all around - like you could be in a fog tunnel going anywhere. On Superbowl Sunday BF was getting ready to go out of town for 4 days for work Monday morning (which did get pushed back to leaving this morning, but he didn't know until later that night) and I could care less about the sport and was trying to use my only free time to tidy the house and prep for the work week, so we ate our typical dinner of grilled chicken salads and had a few beers at home. I did enjoy the halftime show. On Sunday morning I went to help paint the set of our upcoming play. I'm not involved this time around, but the set designer made the set for my play last fall and I owe him big time. When he called for help I came.

My mom finally got into her neurologist 2 weeks ago and found out she didn't have sciatica but rather a ruptured disc in her back. He says the lesion is still "significant" and she needs to have surgery on it and was surprised that she was able to walk around, go to work, and function as well as she had been. Thinking of anyone having back surgery, let alone my mom, makes me very nervous!

There seem to be a lot of shoulder injuries going around too. Jessica, I'm glad your mom is recovering and finally able to come visit you and the girls. Michele, I hope your MIL's surgery goes well and she recovers well (and that she can't drive anymore if she shouldn't be). Allison, I hope your symptoms ease too. Dagmar, weird - maybe a pinched nerve or something? My advice for any new injury is give it a few days of rest and then see how it is. Take care of yourselves, everyone!

Swan, good job budgeting your calories for the big weekend. How long before the Bloomsday race? Good luck training!

Arctic Mama, glad you're still out there!

I'm going to go wander around in the fog some more... have a good day all.

CherryPie99
02-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Hi all!

Just checking in - things are pretty quiet here.

Jessica - I can't imagine what it's like as I don't have kids but I do have some training and they say that babies have to learn to soothe themselves. I wonder if it's anything like crate training dogs? I have crate trained all my dogs and that first night is HORRIBLE as they bark and cry and squeal. Eventually they learn to settle down - that has been my experience with all of my dogs except my last one, Archer - he NEVER learned to like the crate and would bark HYSTERICALLY all night - this went on for nights and nights. Stubborn little s**t!!

Jen

alinnell
02-04-2014, 01:10 PM
Jen~there are some dogs that just cannot be kenneled. My friend was attempting to kennel a foster dog and she ate through three separate crates! I don't know if she attempted a wire crate or not.

Megan~sorry about your Mom's back. My MIL had back surgery for a ruptured disk years ago. I remember her saying when she woke up that it hurt but in a different way. She even declined most of the pain meds they wanted to give her. I hope your Mom gets better soon.

Michele~I hope you Mom's surgery goes well also.

paperclippy
02-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Michele, yes, she had surgery to have a metal plate put in 8 weeks ago. She is now allowed to swing her arm back and forth and if her next x-ray looks good she can start lifting things in PT. She wasn't allowed to drive for a while but I think she can now. I think overall she's doing fine -- there was a tough period where she couldn't wash and dress herself but at this point she's able to do both.

Jen, that is my fear with sleep training! *Most* kids get the hang of it right away and are sleeping great in three nights. But just like some dogs can't be crate trained, some kids can't be sleep trained, and I won't know if my girls are part of that group without trying, and if they are then I will have put them through hours and hours of crying for no reason at all.

Allison, if it was waking up at night to eat that would be one thing, but they don't actually eat at night anymore. If they wake up lately they're either stuck on their tummy and don't know how to get back, or they are upset or uncomfortable in some other way and need a paci to distract them.

Megan, good luck to your mom with the surgery!

BillBlueEyes
02-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Sending supportive thoughts for Megan's mom's back and for Michele's mom's surgery. Hope all goes well.

It was sunny for a spell today - despite such dire warnings of accumulating snow starting tonight that I've preemptively cancelled a book group. Now I'm in that uncomfortable position of wishing to have been right and to have been wrong both, LOL.

silverbirch
02-04-2014, 06:24 PM
if they are then I will have put them through hours and hours of crying for no reason at all.

Jessica :hug: for you and :hug: :hug: for Alison and Cecilia (sorry if spellings are wrong). Listen, you can't see into the future and you don't know whether this will be the case or not. If you are confident then A and C may well get into the swing of things quite easily. Soon they'll be able to roll over and their digestive systems will be moving along nicely. They'll love to sleep through the night and rampage around all day. Don't worry about what ifs, just try things out with as much confidence as you can manage. Tell them that this is what you do and it's a good thing to do. Tell them how a good night's sleep helps you and their daddy, and how it sets you up for the next day. They understand a great deal of what you're talking about now and they understand your tone of voice very clearly. Set things up, as far as you can, for success. It may not work at first, it may take quite a while to get straight and a few tries of different things but suddenly it will happen.

CherryPie99
02-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Jessica - this is going to sound cold and I don't mean it that way! But putting it in perspective - no baby every became permanently scarred by crying all night,

I know - easy for me to say, but if it's ultimately the best thing for them....right?

neurodoc
02-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Jessica, I've had 3, and I've done the "let them cry it out" method with each one. My advice: wait until they can turn over from tummy to back - that way, you know there's no danger of suffocation. Then, be ruthless. My 3rd one (the most stubborn) took 10 days of nightly wailing before he quit. And there's always this thing called the "extinction burst" - a period of hysterical, renewed frenzy after a longish lull and fade-off of the crying, when you think they're going to simply explode with rage (and that's what it is- fury that you're not coming with the tried-and-true comfort).

The book I read (Solve your child's sleep problems by Ferber) actually recommends going in to verbally reassure and maybe even touch/pat the baby (but not pick her up) at increasing intervals: 10 min, then 15, then 20, etc. Eventually, we got to the point where we would talk soothingly from the door but not even walk in the room.

Believe me, babies don't have pain at night any more than they do during the day, and once they can roll over front-to-back, they can also learn to self-soothe. If you wait for them to learn how on their own terms, it may be 2-3 years before they reliably sleep through the night (some of my friends tried this approach, and regretted it).

paperclippy
02-05-2014, 08:25 AM
Silver, :hug: thanks!

Andrea, yeah, the sleepeasy solution book we have is basically the Ferber method. If we do it, that's the technique we will do.

Jen, the problem is that the people who are anti-cry-it-out will tell you that it WILL permanently scar your kids, and there is no definitive research on the subject (believe me, I looked -- there are only self-reported results with no control groups for comparison). I don't really believe that they will be permanently scarred but I'd feel better about it if there was a cohesive study proving it. And it's just hard to listen to your baby cry when you know you could go in and calm her down, which is why they say cry-it-out is harder on the parents than the child!

In any case last night the prunes worked on A and she had a big #2 right before bed, then slept from 6-4 without any intervention required, so maybe the constipation was the problem after all. :shrug: C meanwhile started crawling around and talking to herself at 2am then got angry when she couldn't manage to grab her pacifier that she'd knocked into the corner of the crib, and we had to go pop it in her mouth for her (after which she instantly fell asleep). Still not quite sure what to do about the 4am waking -- they're hungry, but they're not really ready to get up. Ideally they'd sleep until 5 or later, then get up and eat. Perhaps we need to feed at 4 and gradually reduce the amount or gradually shift the time later.

Sorry to derail the conversation with my babies' sleep problems! In other news, we got about 7 inches of snow last night so I'm working from home today. The main roads are probably clear enough but they haven't plowed our neighborhood yet.

Edit to add -- I can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but we did get the baby gates up and gate off a playroom downstairs. It is 10000% better than the situation we had before! The babies don't care which room they're in as long as they have their toys and mommy or daddy, and Carter has been amazingly good about it and seems happier with the girls gated away. He whined for a minute the first time I went in there with the girls but then wandered off and took a nap on the couch. DH tells me yesterday during the day Carter was very relaxed and did his usual migration between his dog beds and the couch all day, spending some extra time in the front hall where he could keep an eye on what was going on in the playroom.

ICUwishing
02-05-2014, 08:37 AM
dagmar, if the half of your hand that's numb is your ring and little finger, welcome to my (waning, thank goodness) world. T1/C7 nerve pinch at the base of the neck. I roll up a hand towel with an ice bag on top of it, and flop down on the floor on it for about 20 minutes. Sometimes need to do it a couple of times. My chiro is great about fixing it, but I still end up needing to ice it anyway.

allison, thanks for reminding me about taxes - yippee (not). :)

megan, sorry to hear about your mom. Back surgery is really scary; I hope she has access to several different opinions and a good stable of very experienced surgeons. 4 days of fog ... doesn't sound like much fun!

jessica, I hope the girls settle in and figure out the sleep thing soon! Being able to roll over is a big game-changer - I think about what it's like at night when I wake up and want to move - what if I couldn't? I'd yell, too! :)

Working from home today. For a change, it's not because of the snow; we're getting a couple of inches, no longer a big deal. DS14 has a stomach bug and is home for the second day. I really thought he was past it ... til I got the knock on the door at 4am. Plus there are 3 inspections on the bathroom today. From the looks of it, I will still need to do some shoveling. Yippee.

joyofsix
02-05-2014, 08:38 AM
I've been AWOL after just starting to post again. Life getting in the way...
Jessica-I'm not in the cry it out camp but they are YOUR babies. Go with your gut on what to do.
Mud pie-ouch! Take care of yourself

Plenty of avocados here but no milk or bread as we got socked with snow. Again. Someone shoot that groundhog!
I had a cream cheese Danish relapse yesterday but I'm back on the horse this morning.
Make it a great one today everyone.

BillBlueEyes
02-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Cheers for each step forward, Jessica! I remember fondly each time we crossed some barrier toward sane living with our two. (And I share Dagmar's laugh at gates for the girls instead of the dogs. That one belongs in some book of Unexpected Tips for New Moms.)

Snow is falling; twelve inches predicted. I wait with my hand on the throttle of my new snow thrower.

ICUwishing
02-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Bill, I am really jealous of your new snowblower. Our little old blower has a tired pull start that is really cantankerous in cold weather (below 25F) - only DH has enough "yank" to do the job. And he's not here til Friday. Our two inches of snow is shaping up to be more like 5. I went out to shovel out the bottom of the driveway and a professional plower stopped by. I paid him $30 to turn it into a doable job, and I am grateful as all get out. 150' of driveway, with a single shovel, is intimidating. Time to start shopping snowblowers. After all, spring has to get here eventually. Doesn't it????

Mudpie
02-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Working in a blizzard today - greasy roads, no salters or plows out yet, and a bunch of idiots in their gargantuan 4 wheel drive tanks expect me to be able to drive like they do in my little Hyundai. I watched, with a great deal of satisfaction, as 5 of them all cracked into each other in front of the middle school they were frantically ferrying their progeny too - late as always and speeding on a tiny road with parked cars on one side and illegally stopped tanks on the other. No one hurt and I slowly manouvered my little Hyundai (which I drive with care and caution due to the weather) the other way to avoid all of them now stopped all over the place.

Today the challenge will NOT be the dogs.

Dagmar :tired:

saef
02-05-2014, 10:51 AM
I fear that I may never drive into the office in CT again, as we keep experiencing snowstorms on Sunday-into-Mondays and Tuesday-into-Wednesdays. I will live forever under a form of house arrest, working furiously at my laptop, except when pulling on snow boots and walking one block to my gym, which miraculously has maintained its regular hours and nearly all of its scheduled classes through all the beatings the weather has been giving us.

Today I've got to pull together a coherent assessment of the new Microsoft CEO from a huge email thread with a lot of internal debate.

If I'm good, I will focus closely on that thing and not duck my head in here the rest of the day, not till I've been to spin class tonight.

silverbirch
02-05-2014, 10:59 AM
saef, I read this on Twitter: "Satya Nadella looks like what MS would come up with if they had to design a Steve Jobs". Personal remarks are so rude. Does it help at all?

CherryPie99
02-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Hi guys - just needed to "talk" here for a minute. I got into work this morning and found out that one of my client - who was schedule to graduate in 2 weeks - died of a heroin overdose last night.

I have been just devastated over this - he has been clean for so long and appeared to have his life in order and now he is gone.

I feel like a complete failure - like I should have been able to say/know/do something for him.

I just got off the phone with his mother who was completely blind-sided like the rest of us and she is looking for answers which of course I have none....

Jen

traveling michele
02-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Oh Jen. I'm terribly sorry. I don't have words. Obviously you know you aren't to blame. You've been working with these people long enough to know how powerful addiction is. I'm just sorry.

alinnell
02-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Jen~you cannot blame yourself. Don't feel like that at all. The addiction is one thing but there is that huge problem with some heroin having fentanyl added that has caused dozens of deaths. Take care.

BillBlueEyes
02-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Sending supportive thoughts, Jen, that you can find solace in such an awful situation.

saef
02-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Jen, my dark, twisted relationship with food has, I feel, given me some insight into this state of mind.

At my lowest moments, it was the most selfish feeling in the world, entirely about the here & now, with me hurting myself to quiet the noise in my head, suppress the rising anxiety, which I couldn't bear to sit with -- and no other human being in the world could've made a difference, distracted me, soothed me or saved me.

That is a terrible responsibility to place upon oneself. You don't want that.

Mourn or grieve, as this person had a heart & soul, so he deserves that, but don't engage in self-reproach, since I think we are lucky if we even have a strong influence over one other person in the world -- never mind saving scores of them.

CherryPie99
02-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Intellectually I know that some people die of this horrible disease called addiction. And I have lost clients before.

But even in my darkest person moments, I have always believed that I am very good at my job. And this client and I had a lot in common - he was a runner - we ran in races together. I met his mother at a race and she took a picture of us together with our medals.

So WHY didn't he talk to me? Why didn't he reach out? What could I have done that he would have made a different choice?

I posted frankly on my work Facebook page that I felt like I had failed him. Ex-clients wrote that I had saved their lives and some people just can't be helped. It hurts my heart in too many ways to adequately explain....

Jen

joyofsix
02-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Just sending supportive hugs Jen. I know that intellectually knowing something and what is in your heart aren't always the same but cling to all the words of those you have helped.

JayEll
02-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Jen--as someone with long-term sobriety, I know how awful it is when people in recovery decide to go out and drink/use. And yes, some of them die. I can only guess at how much more awful it must be if it is someone you have worked with as a client.

Here's the thing, Jen. Recovering addicts don't "accidentally" use again. It would be like me accidentally finding a bottle of alcohol and drinking from it by mistake. That's not how it happens. So somehow and for some reason, he was planning it. He would have to have been, unless things have changed and heroin drops out of the sky now.

The addict in recovery who is planning to use again isn't going to tell anyone beforehand. Why didn't he tell you? Because he didn't want you to know. It's no more complicated than that. If he'd told you, you would have tried to stop him. Obviously he didn't want that to happen.

You didn't fail him, Jen. He exercised his power of free will. He probably didn't plan on dying--he just thought he would get high and feel good. He forgot all about the program, all about the consequences. His addictive mind told him a lie, and he believed it.

I agree with what saef said--grieve the loss, but don't make it your own failure.

My deepest sympathy, Jen.

Mudpie
02-06-2014, 06:43 AM
:hug: Jen. I second all that Jayell said. As someone else who had a long "battle with the bottle" addicts don't use/drink by accident. We make a conscious choice. And your client made it with a substance that can kill very easily, particularly after people have been off it for a long time and don't know what they are buying or how much their body will tolerate.

Grieve for him but don't put his death on your head. Addicts are very clever at hiding and lying - as I know from personally doing both for many years. And while we are getting high nothing that our support people have done for us matters. That moment trumps all else.

You did your job Jen.

Dagmar

Mudpie
02-06-2014, 06:57 AM
I really "brought it" yesterday at work. I was proud of myself for getting through a day of blizzard conditions, getting all the dogs out for an actual walk (rather than a potty break) and then going back out and doing a dinner walk with one dog. And I and my car are still in one piece - remarkable given all the people I saw sliding around on the hills where most of my driving takes place.

I was hoping for a "job well done" or similar from DH when he got home.

There's a lot going on at DH's workplace at the moment and I appreciate that he's distracted. But when he came home I could see that it was going to be all about him. SIGH.

He knows what he has to do but is not doing it. He's stuck and is sulking. So when he goes out to get treats and asks me if I want something I say yes.

After dinner old habits came to the fore. I sat in front of the TV eating candy, which I didn't even like or really taste. I keep rewarding myself for getting through these stormy wintry days with the wrong thing. But in the evenings I'm so depleted of energy that I want to eat sugar straight our of the bowl.

I have to start making the reward a healthier thing, even though I crave sugar. I have fruit but I don't eat it.

Tonite, after wading through about 10-12 inches of new snow all day and trying to find parking on streets covered in snow hills, I will eat fruit.

Someone please remind me about above and :kickbutt: me around 7 p.m.

bargoo
02-06-2014, 07:51 AM
Hi guys - just needed to "talk" here for a minute. I got into work this morning and found out that one of my client - who was schedule to graduate in 2 weeks - died of a heroin overdose last night.

I have been just devastated over this - he has been clean for so long and appeared to have his life in order and now he is gone.

I feel like a complete failure - like I should have been able to say/know/do something for him.

I just got off the phone with his mother who was completely blind-sided like the rest of us and she is looking for answers which of course I have none....

Jen

Jen, this is not your fault.You did your best. He is responsible for his actions. So sorry for his Mom, It is not her fault either.

ICUwishing
02-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Jen, both JayEll and Dagmar's posts trump anything I could offer. Print and re-read as necessary. :hug:

Dagmar, I totally get the appeal of candy and fast-energy. Maybe it would help if you think of your day as a workout (it is!) and consider the desire for candy more as a need for refueling. Do you like/love fruit, or is it just a necessary evil? I find oatmeal with a little honey or maple syrup pretty energizing. I'm thinking your body is screaming for carbs after a rough day, but maybe the better strategy would be to try to substitute some foods that could provide more in terms of nutrition along with the sugars. Might take some trial and error to find something that you would look forward to as much as candy, but if you can find the right food or foods, the good feeling you get from it might trump the candy craving. The emotional hunger ... not near as easy to resolve.

alinnell
02-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Another day OP and my weight is still 1 pound up from Sunday's low. I bit the bullet and entered it in MFP to be accountable. I think it was the cheese. Yesterday I got home and needed a snack. A bite of shredded cheddar was just not enough so I took a whole slice and sat down to read my book (reading The Goldfinch -- very good!). Dinner and the rest of the day was OP. Hoping that this last few ounces (or is it a pound) are gone by Sunday.

Meanwhile my adoption coordinator is arranging a meet & greet with two dogs this weekend!

paperclippy
02-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Jen, :hug:

Dagmar, I agree with Becky. Maybe you need carbs after a long day, and with the weather being so cold and nasty I would expect that something hot might be more satisfying then cold fruit. Oatmeal, soup that has some starch in it (potatoes or pasta or something, maybe toss in the crock pot in the morning), even hot cocoa made with milk. Or try cooking your fruit!

CherryPie99
02-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Just checking in and thanking everyone for all your support and thoughts.

This was definitely not an "accidental" use - there were 3 bottles of urine found with him making me guess he peed before he used and was saving that to use in case he was drug tested.

I know that after the initial shock and my guilt starts to abate, I will be very very angry at him - I might be trying to avoid that, too.

These are the days when I wonder why I do this job!!

traveling michele
02-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Allison-- what is Goldfinch about? I am going to my first book club meeting on Sunday-- only halfway through Aleph now (yuck)... we are supposed to bring suggestions for our next book and I want a GOOD one! Any other suggestions?

It's a "potluck" from 2-4 on Sunday. I've not been before so I'm not sure how heavy everyone eats. I, for one, won't be. Do you all think bringing fruit is adequate or do I need to make something more homemade?

alinnell
02-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Allison-- what is Goldfinch about? I am going to my first book club meeting on Sunday-- only halfway through Aleph now (yuck)... we are supposed to bring suggestions for our next book and I want a GOOD one! Any other suggestions?

It's a "potluck" from 2-4 on Sunday. I've not been before so I'm not sure how heavy everyone eats. I, for one, won't be. Do you all think bringing fruit is adequate or do I need to make something more homemade?

I'm only partway into The Goldfinch but it is a modern day coming of age story (in a nutshell). It's long--725 pages. But the reviews are good and it's still in the top 10 on the LA Times best seller list. It starts with a young adult holed up in a hotel in Denmark where he may or may not have done something wrong but he isn't sure as he can't read the Danish news. Then a backflash to his growing up in NYC when his mother is tragically killed leaving him all alone. That's where I am now. It also has a lot to do with the art world.

She writes quite beautifully which I like although some people say she's too verbose and "writes two sentences when one will do." They say the last 100 pages are quite exciting.

bargoo
02-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Last Thursday I had a little surgery, it was because my veins are so tiny it was difficult to do an IV for Chemo so IV is out and Port is in, A Port is implanted under your skin and for Chemo they go through your chest through the port and IV is not used at all. I was kind of nervous but it went OK except for some soreness.
PS My oncologist is pleased with my progress.

alinnell
02-06-2014, 01:12 PM
bargoo~I think getting a port installed is often best as you don't have to endure all the endless pricks to find a vein. My sister had to have a port installed once when she was on months-on-end IV antibiotics to try and rid her of a nasty foot infection (she's diabetic). It worked, she got the port removed, and the infection returned and she then opted to have a couple toes amputated. She's fine now.

bargoo
02-06-2014, 01:28 PM
bargoo~I think getting a port installed is often best as you don't have to endure all the endless pricks to find a vein. My sister had to have a port installed once when she was on months-on-end IV antibiotics to try and rid her of a nasty foot infection (she's diabetic). It worked, she got the port removed, and the infection returned and she then opted to have a couple toes amputated. She's fine now.

Thank s for the iinformation..I am glad your sister is doing ok. Is this the sister who had the flu ?
PS I had the cutest male nurse.

bargoo
02-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Sorry Jessica but I have to laugh :lol3: - gating the babies instead of the dog.

All depends on how you look at it.

traveling michele
02-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Thank s for the iinformation..I am glad your sister is doing ok. Is this the sister who had the flu ?
PS I had the cutest male nurse.

You're funny Bargoo! Thanks for the update... glad you're doing well. My mom also had a port.

My MIL had her shoulder surgery yesterday. Once the doctor got in there and realized how bad her breaks were he did a total shoulder replacement. She is in the hospital and I'm not sure when she'll be out. Also not sure what her recovery will be. :?:

ICUwishing
02-06-2014, 04:16 PM
A shoulder replacement? Had no idea that could be done! What a nightmare - so many muscles to work around and reattach. Yikes!

bargoo - good to hear from you and VERY good to hear your oncologist is reporting good progress! Is your vision getting better?

Shannon in ATL
02-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Glad to hear from you, Bargoo. Also glad that you got a good nurse for your procedure. ;) I think of you often, glad you are faring well and the oncologist is pleased.

bargoo
02-06-2014, 04:49 PM
You're funny Bargoo! Thanks for the update... glad you're doing well. My mom also had a port.

My MIL had her shoulder surgery yesterday. Once the doctor got in there and realized how bad her breaks were he did a total shoulder replacement. She is in the hospital and I'm not sure when she'll be out. Also not sure what her recovery will be. :?:
. I had a broken shoulder, prior to surgery , had a long talk the surgeon he said surgery MAY help with movement and surgery MAY help with pain. I didn't think those odds were good enough so I went for physical therapy only. I don't have full use of my arm but enough to get by.
Good luck for your MIL,

Mudpie
02-06-2014, 06:25 PM
:wave: Bargoo

Dagmar :D

Mudpie
02-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Michele Potluck, by definition, is a meal to be shared by a group, to which participants bring various foods. I think your idea of fruit is fine. If you want to "fancy it up" a bit you could cut the fruit into chunks or segments or whatever, and also bring along a dip for it. Greek yogurt with a bit of honey is a good fruit dip, as is vanilla greek yogurt.

Becky My snacking food is stuff I don't prepare as usually I'm really tired and ready to just crash when I want it. I've tried carbs/fats but wound up eating things like boxes :eek: of crackers or whole bags of nuts :o. I decided to prepare :lol: my fruit this morning and peeled and segmented 2 Minneolas. They are in a pretty glass bowl and coming to room temp as I type this. if I can get the prep donw in the a.m. I really do enjoy eating fruit in the p.m.

The mental/emotional thing is a bit harder. The candy still seems to be more of a reward than the fruit. The fruit is something I have at hand while the candy is a "special" purchase. :dizzy: Amazing how we can rationalize stuff, yes?

BillBlueEyes
02-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Waving to Bargoo - Good to hear that you appreciated "the cutest male nurse."

silverbirch
02-06-2014, 06:51 PM
:wave: bargoo

saef
02-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Bargoo, my Dad had a port and was glad to be done with the needle sticking and worrying about bruising or vein collapses.

It's always good to see your posts: Always on the side of the animals.

paperclippy
02-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Bargoo, glad your treatment seems to be going well. I had to have three different IVs put in the week I was in the hospital before delivering my girls and it was a disaster as I have awful tiny veins. To be quite honest the time they tried to draw blood from a vein in my foot actually hurt worse than labor & delivery! :lol: If I ever need to be hospitalized again I might opt for a port!

Also laughing about the cute nurse. When I was a teenager the only reason I didn't mind going to the dentist was because my dentist was a total hottie. :o

I think I need to buy a bulk package of baby food prunes. It seems like unless they eat a container of prunes every day, the girls get constipated. And if they're constipated, they're grouchy and don't sleep well. Although last night they weren't too bad -- just up at 3 for a snack, then up for the day at 5, though I think they may have slept better if we'd dressed them a bit more warmly. It got so cold outside that our heater just can't keep up. We have the heater set to 69-70 degrees so that the babies will be more comfortable but it was only 64 in the house this morning, and the heater had been running more or less constantly all night. We put them in two pairs of PJ's and a sleep sack for their first nap!

ICUwishing
02-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Dagmar, oh, yes ... the brain is a powerful force to reckon with when it guides the hand.

Jessica, I don't think anybody can have a good outlook when things are backed up! :lol: I hear you on the heaters - I'm almost afraid to go out and check the propane levels. Going to be an expensive winter.

DH comes home tonight. DS beat the bug and went back to school this morning. The flooring is down in the bathroom and closet and inspections are almost done. The last nasty piece is the drywall finishing - so glad that somebody else is doing it! Only question is where the heck are my oak doors? :chin: Time to make a phone call. All in all ... life's good. And BONUS - it's Friday!!! And speaking of bonus, I just found out that we have some very healthy profit-sharing this year. :D

alinnell
02-07-2014, 10:30 AM
My brother called last night. At first I thought he was just bored (his wife and youngest daughter left for Australia and he doesn't leave for another few days). I was wrong. He had news about my Dad. He got in another accident (just as I've been predicting but he's "a good driver"). His 20+ year old car (which was "totaled" by his last accident but he fixed it anyway) lost both headlights and ruptured the radiator when he rear-ended someone. He claims it did nothing to the car he hit. Apparently no one was hurt (thank goodness). He told the tow truck driver to just take it to the junk yard (again, thank goodness).

My sister is going to call him today to get his story. We're all wondering just how many times his story will change. His last accident changed at least a dozen times before we got the real story.

Anyway, it is a relief he's off the road. Not that I wanted it this way, but at least he can't do anyone any harm now. But it's going to be more work for my brother and SIL as they'll have to run his errands and everything now.

paperclippy
02-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Allison, glad your dad is okay and that nobody else was hurt! I remember we got my grandma to stop driving after she had a couple minor accidents in a row of, "I was stepping on the brake but the car just kept going faster."

Becky, good to hear your renovations are going well!

Just as a general update, Carter is still doing great with being gated away from the babies. DH's mom was over yesterday and Carter didn't even mind that he couldn't beg his grandma for snuggles while she was in the play room. This morning I was getting ready to leave for work and I started looking around for Carter because I always give him some scratches before I go, and I realized I hadn't heard a peep from him all morning -- he was asleep on the couch!

alinnell
02-07-2014, 11:44 AM
There was an accident here this past fall where an 80ish year old man hit the accelerator instead of the brake and plowed into the fence of an elementary school where the children were out playing in the yard. One 10 year old boy was airlifted to Loma Linda hospital where they had to amputate his leg. The man claimed his brand new car (bought it the day before) had malfunctioned. The authorities could find nothing wrong with the car and now they're planning on charging the guy with a DUI as he had a slight amount of alcohol in his system (said it was from a glass of wine the night before).

When I get old I'd like to live in an apartment/condo complex that is within walking distance to a grocery store and perhaps a couple restaurants and a theater. There are plenty of places just like that here. I wish my Dad weren't so damn stubborn. Why he feels he "needs" to stay in his five bedroom, three bathroom house is beyond my comprehension.

Oh, and he claims my brother went to his house a few weeks ago and turned off the water to one of the bathroom sinks and was going to install a new faucet for him. My brother did no such thing. Now we're wondering who it was that offered to fix the leaky faucet.

traveling michele
02-07-2014, 04:29 PM
That's great news on the financial front Becky! Should help with your house renovations.

Allison-- Sorry to hear about your dad but it may be a blessing in disguise. I'm also hoping that my MIL's shoulder surgery may put an end to her driving. She isn't terrible but I don't really want her on the road. And I agree with you-- I'd love to live somewhere within walking distance to everything.

ICUwishing
02-07-2014, 08:53 PM
When I'm old, I want to live in one of those cool senior communities that are designed to be navigated by golf cart. I'm going to paint flames on the sides and put a lift kit on it. :D Plus a suicide knob on the steering wheel for good measure. :lol3:

Allison, I'm glad there is no tragedy with your story. None of my grandparents stopped driving without an accident being involved.

CherryPie99
02-07-2014, 09:07 PM
DH's 95 year old father refuses to stop driving. Shortly before Xmas he apparently went into a spin during a a snow storm. He finally told DH about it shortly into January.
He hasn't driven since.

DH takes him shopping once per week. This week they went in during a snow storm and DH said that his Dad started seriously freaking out. Must be that spin really scared him bad.

We wonder if he will want to drive once the warm weather returns....

Mudpie
02-08-2014, 06:32 AM
My dad continued to drive in Estonia until he was in an accident and they suspended his license over there. He had a brain scan done and they felt he'd had a small stroke and shouldn't be driving. He claimed his "brain had pulled a trick" and that he was fine.

Over here we found out he was driving WITHOUT insurance. I tried to take his keys but he physically tried to beat me up when I was doing so. I held his wrists and watched him twist and shout :mad: (sorry Beatles fans) and finally wet his pants. :o

Then I took the keys. I had to start driving him to the store and running his errands. I put him in touch with a seniors organization that charged a tiny fee for driving folks to appointments but he refused to use them. He also refused to give up his car, even though he couldn't drive it.

I plan to retire in a much smaller city (can't afford a condo in downtown Toronto) and have been there for a look see. I think I can manage to get a small 2 bedroom house within walking distance of all that we will need, plus have a bit of money left over. We will need to keep one car as the bus service there is mostly non-existent. I tried to take the bus twice and it was faster to walk to where I was going.

I imagine DH and I will have to work part time until we die as DH's and my Canada pensions will be miniscule. I was speaking with a guy at Home Depot who is 74 and works there on the weekend to keep his mind occupied and for some social contact. I expect DH and I will go the same route - work the shifts no one else wants and then have the week off.

SIGH. Better than the alternative I guess. :lol:

Dagmar :dizzy:

silverbirch
02-08-2014, 06:42 AM
Morning, Dagmar! :wave:

BillBlueEyes
02-08-2014, 07:22 AM
My FIL stopped driving because he felt that he wasn't doing it as well as he had before, despite that meaning that he had to ride while his wife drove. Just an amazing decision from an amazing man.

My MIL, on the other hand, resisted all suggestions that she stop. One day she returned home and asked the grandson to check her rear view mirror, "Something isn't right." 'Not right,' indeed; it was gone! Apparently, she had side-swiped someone and hadn't noticed. That was her last drive.

alinnell
02-08-2014, 09:47 AM
I'd love to live in a senior community that has everything but have you seen the prices? Ouch! I could probably afford just a month or two.

The RV park where we bought the lot for my in-laws is kind of a senior living community. While some still have cars most do get around by golf cart. The only thing lacking there is close proximity to grocery shopping. It's about a mile away which isn't bad but I don't like the area much.

I've mentioned moving to certain areas to DH and he usually responds that most of the places I choose are not as nice as I seem to think. IDK. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

bargoo
02-08-2014, 03:15 PM
I'd love to live in a senior community that has everything but have you seen the prices? Ouch! I could probably afford just a month or two.

The RV park where we bought the lot for my in-laws is kind of a senior living community. While some still have cars most do get around by golf cart. The only thing lacking there is close proximity to grocery shopping. It's about a mile away which isn't bad but I don't like the area much.

I've mentioned moving to certain areas to DH and he usually responds that most of the places I choose are not as nice as I seem to think. IDK. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Oh, I think they are as nice and also twice as expensivem

alinnell
02-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Today, just two weeks after putting Chico down, we welcomed Bogey into our home. He's 1 1/2 and a Lab/Shepherd mix. He is super sweet and I have not heard him bark yet. But the cats are not amused. They will take some time.

CherryPie99
02-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Awwwwwww!! PICS - I DEMAND PICS!!!

alinnell
02-08-2014, 11:47 PM
Pics will come soon. I only took one today and I'll do more tomorrow after he decides not to chase the cats so much.

He's beautiful. Black with undertones of brown from his shepherd background. And a teeny bit of white on his feet. His eyes! DH thinks he must be a vampire from Twilight. They're so light! (Only Twilight readers would get this).

bargoo
02-09-2014, 03:32 AM
Welcome Bogey!!!You will not find a better home. What does Misty think ?

Megan1982
02-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Welcome Bogey!!! So happy for you Allison! Yes, please share pictures when you get the chance.

I just listened to a Science Friday podcast from several weeks ago about "smart cars". The interviewee seemed to think that in the next 15 years or so, cars will be able to drive us everywhere, not vice versa. If there is an accident whoever will pay will be whoever's computer malfunctioned. He talked about how this could be game changing for senior citizens. The timeline seemed a bit ambitious to me but what a thought. If it worked it would allow so many people to maintain independence.

saef
02-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Megan, I was just writing about this on the job this past Friday. It's called vehicle-to-vehicle communication, and in the U.S., it eventually may become a requirement on new cars. Drivers will still be autonomous and responsible, the system will just give us information. It could cut down considerably on accidents, but it will take time before the new cars proliferate enough to make a difference as old cars without this technology get retired and junked.

Sometimes I wish I could put my car on the equivalent of a set of train tracks to be driven for me along the route while I do other things. Usually this is when I'm on a very long stretch of highway driving, particularly on the NY State Thruway and heading Upstate for five hours straight. Why not take the train then? It takes too long, stopping at all those stations, it follows a longer route than I've drive, to include those stations, but above all, I can pack my car full of stuff, where all that luggage would be extremely burdensome. I buy lots of stuff Upstate that is cheaper there than down here, and I also export some luxury goods for my mother & myself that are hard to get up there.

I'm happy any time an animal finds a home, particularly among this group, since you all seem like such loving caregivers.

alinnell
02-09-2014, 04:23 PM
My husband's new car is smarter than my car. His adaptive cruise control keeps a certain distance between his car and the one ahead. Say he sets his CC at 70 MPH and the traffic slows to 55--his car automatically slows to 55 and if it clears up it goes back to 70 AND if traffic slows very fast his car puts the brakes on. It's really amazing. Also, if he's driving and someone pulls out in front of him, the brakes go on and a warning light shows on the dash board. (2014 Ford Explorer.)

Bogey definitely has shepherd in him. He's much more intense like a shepherd and not as mellow as a Lab. But he was really good last night in his kennel and we left him in there during golf this morning and although he cried a bit when we left, he was good and didn't destroy the new pad I got to put in the kennel (Chico destroyed at least 3 or 4 of them!). He still wants to chase the cats so I'm looking to buy a baby gate to keep the cats in the kids' bedrooms when he is out. I'm hoping they all get along eventually.
Bogey (http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z104/alinnell/IMG_20140208_121850026_HDR.jpg)

silverbirch
02-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Lovely dog.

CherryPie99
02-09-2014, 08:35 PM
He is Beautiful!!!! And those eyes are so freaky looking in the most awesome way!!

And no worries - the cats and he will be best friends before you know it!!

Jen

Secret Swan
02-09-2014, 11:26 PM
Oh, what a sweet looking dog! Congrats on your new addition!

Today I went skiing for the first time since...college? It was pretty fun! I'd love to go again, though it's probably not in the budget anytime soon, as I don't own my own equipment and have to rent skis AND buy a lift ticket.

Ate lunch I the ski lodge. Eating out, especially in a fast/junk food environment, is pretty stressful for me, but I think I managed not to show it. I had packed along a quest bar in case I just couldn't face whatever the options were, and then I dithered some about just getting a cup of soup, but I was quite hungry and I am trying to encourage myself to order "normal" things, so I went with a baked potato with almost all the toppings, including a whole cup of chili but no cheese or sour cream. And I'm trying not to second guess the calorie estimate I made for that lunch so I can eat my stir-fry. I'd really like to feel less anxious about eating in social situations. I think if I were on my own I might have just got a cup of soup or the quest bar, but I didn't want to be weird when everyone else was ordering bigger things. And I think what I did order will fit my calories just fine. I just wish I could stop worrying and overthinking it so much. I don't know, though. I mean, if I didn't think about the calories in my food, experience has shown that I would put on a lot of weight. So I'm always going to have to be aware of it. I'd just like to be aware but not anxious.

bargoo
02-09-2014, 11:56 PM
On Feb first I bought a new TV. Today it quit working.

Mudpie
02-10-2014, 06:26 AM
On Feb first I bought a new TV. Today it quit working.

That sucks! :rollpin:

Dagmar